PDA

View Full Version : Ausar Thompson - 2023 NBA Draft Prospect

timvp
05-12-2023, 01:41 PM
Ausar Thompson
https://i.imgur.com/cw9ot52.jpg

Full Scouting Report (https://www.spurstalk.com/ausar-thompson-spurs-scouting-report/)

Height: 6-foot-7
Weight: 218 pounds
College: Overtime Elite
Position: SF/SG
Draft Range: 4-10

Spurs Comparison: Bigger, more athletic Charles "Spider" Smith

Strengths: Super athleticism, defensive potential, basketball IQ, improving shooting

Weaknesses: Overtime Elite competition level, ball-handling, shooting consistency

Full Scouting Report (https://www.spurstalk.com/ausar-thompson-spurs-scouting-report/)

7i18AGpYvnc

Ariel
05-12-2023, 01:51 PM
Too many question marks for me, I don't like leaps of faith. With that said, the Spurs have access to information we don't have, they can work him out and get a much better read on him, so I'd leave a door open. But as it stands right now, I'd pass unless we're picking at 7 and Cam Whitmore, Taylor Hendricks and Anthony Black are gone. Then whatever, I guess. On the other hand, if we end up 2/3 and, say, we strike a deal with Orlando for 6 + 11, then Keyonte George or Ausar could be very interesting gambles at 11. But I'm just not comfortable going all in with the Thompsons as our lone pick.

JPB
05-12-2023, 01:59 PM
Not more comfortable with him than his bro either as THE pick. and it's not his "highlights" that will make me more comfy. Really feels like an adult playing vs. kids.

spurraider21
05-12-2023, 02:00 PM
i know they dont tell the whole story, especially from OTE, but the counting stats show a guy who is a reasonably good playmaker/passer as well

probably not point guard potential like amen, but could more easily see him settling in as a wing as long as his jumper gets better, and his shot isnt broken like amen's

im pretty confident i like scoot over both brothers, and im more confident that Miller will be a good pro, but from pick 4 and on... i honestly have no clue what should be done and probably wouldnt be upset with either brother

Mr. Body
05-12-2023, 02:16 PM
Not more comfortable with him than his bro either as THE pick. and it's not his "highlights" that will make me more comfy. Really feels like an adult playing vs. kids.

Repeating myself but I agree. None of his passes look exceptional. He's making good reads for kick outs and dump offs but those are what he's supposed to be doing. The defense is so adolescent and poor that those reads are all that's necessary. I don't see any elite vision but it's clickbaity to say so.

Robz4000
05-12-2023, 02:20 PM
i know they dont tell the whole story, especially from OTE, but the counting stats show a guy who is a reasonably good playmaker/passer as well

probably not point guard potential like amen, but could more easily see him settling in as a wing as long as his jumper gets better, and his shot isnt broken like amen's

im pretty confident i like scoot over both brothers, and im more confident that Miller will be a good pro, but from pick 4 and on... i honestly have no clue what should be done and probably wouldnt be upset with either brother

Wouldn't close the door on them trading the pick tbh.

Mr. Body
05-12-2023, 02:20 PM
https://youtu.be/V8ux38Y9bYU

Like this hagiographic video. The presenter is wild about this pass at 2:49. What the fuck is this play? Christ this defense. A baby could see this pass and make it, yet it's elite?

spurraider21
05-12-2023, 02:34 PM
Wouldn't close the door on them trading the pick tbh.
sure, but i dont know who is going to be that eager to move up in this draft either

spurraider21
05-12-2023, 02:36 PM
https://youtu.be/V8ux38Y9bYU

Like this hagiographic video. The presenter is wild about this pass at 2:49. What the fuck is this play? Christ this defense. A baby could see this pass and make it, yet it's elite?
cant watch that video because of the presenter's voice tbh. but i dont see where he called that an "elite play"

Mr. Body
05-12-2023, 03:15 PM
cant watch that video because of the presenter's voice tbh. but i dont see where he called that an "elite play"

So you can't watch the video but you don't see where he called it elite?

Anyway, I missed that we're onto Ausar now.

spurraider21
05-12-2023, 03:36 PM
So you can't watch the video but you don't see where he called it elite?

Anyway, I missed that we're onto Ausar now.
not going to watch it in its entirety. watching the specific clip that you had alluded to.

did i miss the part where he called that particular pass elite?

Robz4000
05-12-2023, 04:00 PM
sure, but i dont know who is going to be that eager to move up in this draft either

Could see the Nets or Blazers as potential partners tbh. Both need to make splashes and have picks down the line the Spurs could covet (those Suns picks in particular could be nice).

The Truth #6
05-12-2023, 05:14 PM
I’m intrigued by Amen but less so Ausar. If we are 6 or 7 I’d prefer Black over Ausar.

BackHome
05-12-2023, 05:19 PM
The Thompson twins have a ton of Hype it just takes one GM/Owner to really want them and work out a trade for us - But hopefully that doesn’t happen as we get Wemb. with the first pick. If we picking 3 to 7 I have no clue what they will end up doing.

The Truth #6
05-12-2023, 06:05 PM
Trading back from say 3 for 6 and 11 is intriguing but I feel like you’re unlikely to get both Amen and Walker at those picks. For 11 you might get Keyonte or Grady Dick or Kobe Buffkin or something like that. It’s an interesting idea but I think that’s too many players for this year, especially with all these draft picks coming up. Backlash initially would be strong but it could pay off down the line but it’s a different type of risk, and would need some strong gamesmanship from Wright.

DPG21920
05-12-2023, 06:08 PM
They terrify me….and this is coming from someone who was wowed with a few things I saw from both of them. Going to be so scary if SA gets pick 3-7…I have no idea how to rank the prospects after first 2.

rascal
05-12-2023, 06:14 PM
Could see the Nets or Blazers as potential partners tbh. Both need to make splashes and have picks down the line the Spurs could covet (those Suns picks in particular could be nice).

Blazers are likely to trade their pick for a veteran unless it's a top two pick.

I can see Toronto and the Blazers making a trade.

Mr. Body
05-12-2023, 07:20 PM
not going to watch it in its entirety. watching the specific clip that you had alluded to.

did i miss the part where he called that particular pass elite?

I don't know what to say to you, man. The entire video is about how Amen is "changing playmaking forever." If you want to be a dolt, be a dolt. The video, and others beside, try to make these passes out to be elite.

tonight...you
05-12-2023, 07:25 PM
Some people are about as pleasant as licking Hitler's mustache.

Maddog
05-12-2023, 07:48 PM
Looks like they are playing against high school players

Why didn't they turn pro after their first OT Elite season?
True ignorance on my part.

scott
05-12-2023, 09:00 PM
Too many question marks for me, I don't like leaps of faith. With that said, the Spurs have access to information we don't have, they can work him out and get a much better read on him, so I'd leave a door open. But as it stands right now, I'd pass unless we're picking at 7 and Cam Whitmore, Taylor Hendricks and Anthony Black are gone. Then whatever, I guess. On the other hand, if we end up 2/3 and, say, we strike a deal with Orlando for 6 + 11, then Keyonte George or Ausar could be very interesting gambles at 11. But I'm just not comfortable going all in with the Thompsons as our lone pick.

In the scenario where we are picking 7 and Cam, Hendricks and Black are gone - that means Amen is still there. ARe you taking Ausar over his brother?

The Truth #6
05-12-2023, 09:02 PM

They had signed a two-year contract.

KobesAchilles
05-12-2023, 09:29 PM
I mean Millwr is obviously who we should take if we had the 3 pick. After that, it’s a crap shoot

Ariel
05-12-2023, 09:34 PM
In the scenario where we are picking 7 and Cam, Hendricks and Black are gone - that means Amen is still there. ARe you taking Ausar over his brother?
Honestly, I can't say with any degree of certainty. Sometimes I feel strongly about certain players, like I did last year with Sochan and Branham, and this year I'm higher than most on Cam Whitmore. But with these two, it's random clips of garbage ball, and it's impossible to get a real read of their strengths and weaknesses that way. And though technically the lack of reliable evidence of them successfully playing against higher competition doesn't preclude them from actually being able to do so, indirectly I do read it that way and thus why I'm against picking them. The caveat is the Spurs are in better position than me to have them compete against other prospects and even can call some roster guys to get a better feel of their game, which I'd love. So all in all I have to trust whatever the Spurs do because 1) they're better than me and 2) they're infinitely more resourceful than me. I'll just say I'll be very uneasy if they're our pick, until they remove my doubts on the court.

Mr. Body
05-12-2023, 09:52 PM

They are playing against high school players.

It's going to take some time to get the Thompsons ramped up to NBA capable. They're not going to be able to contribute much right away.

Russ
05-12-2023, 10:01 PM
Not to belabor this, but I will anyway . . .

The value in this draft may not be 2-7.

Mr. Body
05-12-2023, 10:27 PM
Not to belabor this, but I will anyway . . .

The value in this draft may not be 2-7.

Those spots are very weak this year. I don't really want those picks (6 or 7 would be okay). You're getting very flawed players, a few of them outright mystery boxes, and you're paying a high rookie scale for them. If we don't get the top pick, I'm with those who hope teams will fall in love with the athletes and want to swap with us.

Ariel
05-12-2023, 10:43 PM
Those spots are very weak this year. I don't really want those picks (6 or 7 would be okay). You're getting very flawed players, a few of them outright mystery boxes, and you're paying a high rookie scale for them. If we don't get the top pick, I'm with those who hope teams will fall in love with the athletes and want to swap with us.
Keyonte George is very likely to fall to the late lottery. I've said numerous times I wouldn't take him with a top 5 pick (undersized guards that are not 2 way or efficient are not really my type) but he's got a lot of talent, I'd take him in a heartbeat in the late lottery if he's available or we can trade into it.

Mr. Body
05-12-2023, 11:18 PM
Keyonte George is very likely to fall to the late lottery. I've said numerous times I wouldn't take him with a top 5 pick (undersized guards that are not 2 way or efficient are not really my type) but he's got a lot of talent, I'd take him in a heartbeat in the late lottery if he's available or we can trade into it.

There's a raft of guards that I like, and I'm preferring guards it seems this year. George, Bufkin, Black, Hawkins, even Nick Smith. I like what NYK had going with a dynamic multiple guard attack. Anyway, it seems like there's more value at those picks. If the FO likes Whitmore or Amen or whatever, then fine. But I'd just rather get a player I feel isn't that far off, costs less, and would bring another asset or two.

spurraider21
05-13-2023, 05:47 AM
I don't know what to say to you, man. The entire video is about how Amen is "changing playmaking forever." If you want to be a dolt, be a dolt. The video, and others beside, try to make these passes out to be elite.
You wanna call it being a dolt, that’s your business. I looked at the very specific segment you mentioned and they did not make it out to be an amazing unique play. They just said it’s an example of him using ball fakes to free up another pass. I’m not talking about the video in its entirety. Your post mentioned one particular play/segment and that’s what I’m commenting on

Mr. Body
05-13-2023, 10:58 AM
You wanna call it being a dolt, that’s your business. I looked at the very specific segment you mentioned and they did not make it out to be an amazing unique play. They just said it’s an example of him using ball fakes to free up another pass. I’m not talking about the video in its entirety. Your post mentioned one particular play/segment and that’s what I’m commenting on

Yeah, and you said this:

1. You didn't watch the video

That's like reading page 345 of War and Peace and bitching that it's not about war or peace.

Move on.

scott
05-13-2023, 11:20 AM
Watched the highlight video, and granted I am not an NBA Scout or even a SpursTalk.com Scout, but I fail to see this supreme athleticism that is so highly touted. Just looks like the guy in a pickup game who is clearly better than everyone else, but still wouldn’t be confused with a professional basketball player.

duncan2150
05-13-2023, 07:39 PM
https://twitter.com/CoreyTulaba/status/1657454684095893512

JPB
05-13-2023, 08:24 PM
Just watching the preview, not even cliking on the vid, you see kids on defense. How can anyone decently use these OTE games to judge the guy? There's no point, I would look like MJ out there.

duncan2150
05-13-2023, 08:28 PM
Workouts will decide a lot for them but they're not crap either just because they played in a poor league

The finals of the OTE were against a good team, maybe the only one and they had some good games.

Mr. Body
05-13-2023, 08:33 PM
The placement of the passes look great and some of them do show good vision. It's host kids and often they're completely out of place. Just don't know how you evaluate that. And he's been wasting two years on this, unfortunately.

BackHome
05-14-2023, 12:48 AM
You have to wonder if the Thompson were not twins would they be generating this much hype? I just don’t see it and if you draft either if them they definitely will NOT be ready for the big team they scream G League project. I guess if the Spurs think they can transform them fairly quickly then it might be worth it on the flip side drafting either one will definitely increase our 2024 tanking