PDA

View Full Version : When we get Wemby…

KobesAchilles
05-15-2023, 02:02 PM
Which free agent are we throwing the max at? Choose one below or come up with your own.

1. Kyrie Irving. I know I know. He’s a cancer and a loser and doesn’t play defense but…
Reasons for: We really need a PG. He can create his own shot. He might be the only one of the team that is able to consistently do that if we sign him. He can also break down a defense and get to the rim. His offense is also the type the Spurs need where he shoots a lot of 3s and can hit the midrange and is finishing is some of the best in the league. Also his weaknesses of not defending would be covered up a lot by our team. Wemby, Sochan, and Vassell all have length and size to help his shortcomings on that end. Kyrie is also a big shot taker and maker. As of now we have nobody on the team for that role and that could be one he strives in. Pop is the culture of SA so I’m not worried about him being a cancer at all. And overall his skill set could fit very well with Wemby.

Reasons against: He could end up being unhappy living here. He could be poisonous for our young players. He will be injury prone and miss at least 25 games a season. And lastly him and KJ would be unplayable together in the post season when teams make play run pic n roll defense 100 times a game.

Option B: Klay Thompson

Reasons for: Klay doesn’t really play a position of need. We have a SG already who seems like he could evolve into a pretty good player. But Klay brings a lot more to the table in his intangibles. He’s a winner and a 4x champion. That is always good to have on your team. He is a professional and his work ethic is second to none. He will show the young ones on the team how to be a pro and the type of work it takes to be successful in the league. He is still the second best shooter in the league. And he is known for hitting big shots. He will be up and down on his play. But if Wemby can dominate the paint then Klay is exactly who you want him to kick it out to when he gets doubled. Also Klay is a basketball genius in movement and creating his own shot. His defense while not as good as in years past is still slightly above average.

Reasons against: We have nobody to run an offense and signing Klay doesn’t fix that at all. He isn’t that good of a defender to where he can guard 3s and neither is Vassell so playing them together won’t be sustainable in the playoffs. You could argue we already have a cheaper version of him in Vassell. And Klay has a body that might break down in a few years.

Option C: James stripper pole Harden
Reasons for: Harden is ideally the perfect player for a big man. He’s no longer ball dominant. He has zero ego when it comes to being the man. He shoots a ton of 3s and he runs an offense about as well as anyone in the league leading the league in assists. He can still get to the rim and he can still finish at the rim. He is now shooting more midrange and seems like a chill guy in the locker room. Harden has the game that the Spurs are missing. And much like Kyrie, his lack of defense can be covered up by Wemby and Sochan and Vassell. Also he would force the other guards to have to play defense. In a 7 game series that goes a long way. Harden could come in from day one and average 20 and 11.

Reasons against: The team has an obvious ceiling. Harden will fold in the playoffs. He will not step up in big games. He will fall apart and maybe we make the second round. But hey that’s pretty good for a team that sucks currently. James is the anti-Kyrie. He won’t make the big shot. But 50 wins and a second round exit for next two years seems doable with a guy like him. Another reason against is he doesn’t take care of his body and seems to get leg injuries due to it. So he could miss some time. But Pop knows how to handle that so it might be zero issue.

Which guy would you choose? Is there another guy you would want?

JPB
05-15-2023, 02:04 PM
If you (ofc) put Flat Earther aside, I'd still sign none of the guys on that list tbh.

Robz4000
05-15-2023, 02:14 PM
Eww.

exstatic
05-15-2023, 02:16 PM
None of the above. The only player who isn't a complete idiot is Klay, and he's been chronically injured the last few years.

Paul Reed, Herb Jones, Donte DiVicenzo, Cam Johnson, Jalen McDaniels

Mr. Body
05-15-2023, 02:16 PM
barf

spurraider21
05-15-2023, 02:43 PM
none of those make any sense

slick'81
05-15-2023, 04:28 PM
Ok then

Leetonidas
05-15-2023, 04:29 PM
Trade for Jaylen Brown tbh

cd98
05-15-2023, 04:57 PM
Why sign people that are subtraction by addition? If you want to build a winner, you don't add Irving (can't win without Lebron); Klay Thompson (too many major injuries have lowered his ceiling); and Harden (on the decline). Fill the roster with upside, suffer growing pains, get another lottery pick, and contend in year 4.

scott
05-15-2023, 05:21 PM
Man, this year's FA class looks so intimidatingly bad.

Honestly, Jak is the player who stands out who I'd want the most :lol

Mo Wagner on a rehab project maybe?

Seventyniner
05-15-2023, 10:16 PM
Man, this year's FA class looks so intimidatingly bad.

Honestly, Jak is the player who stands out who I'd want the most :lol

Mo Wagner on a rehab project maybe?

imo it would be a good season to absorb salary for picks. But the Spurs probably tried to do that last season too and it didn't work.

Since the Spurs' salary for floor calculation purposes froze on the last day of the season, they should be able to absorb salary that extends into next season on draft night.

SPURt
05-15-2023, 11:25 PM
Ick

DPG21920
05-15-2023, 11:28 PM
Trade for Lillard if this is what we are going to do…offer up Keldon + some ATL picks (its not what I would do, but if you are going that path, rather have Lillard over any other FA tbh..)

Maybe Jaylen Brown can be had too *shrug*

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 12:13 PM
none of them. They all washed. Try to make an offer to Jaylen Brown when he's a free agent

spurs10
05-16-2023, 12:55 PM
Trade for Lillard if this is what we are going to do…offer up Keldon + some ATL picks (its not what I would do, but if you are going that path, rather have Lillard over any other FA tbh..)

Maybe Jaylen Brown can be had too *shrug* This

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-16-2023, 02:54 PM
Isn't Jaylen Brown a flat earther too, just not as loud?

DPG21920
05-16-2023, 02:56 PM

Probably - still rather have him than Kyrie or Harden tbh…

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2023, 02:59 PM
I'd trade for Terry Cummings and Rod Strickland.

Gibbz
05-16-2023, 03:04 PM

Yeah--he's also on the Black Israelite shit that Kyrie's on. + anti-vaxxer

Brazil
05-16-2023, 03:05 PM
Harden ? NO !!! GOD ! NO GOD PLEASE NO !!!
Irving ? dude really ? dat brain dead idiot ? imagine him with Pop arguing about flat earth and vaccines :lmao
Klay ? too much of an injury prone

TD 21
05-16-2023, 05:09 PM
Despite my long held belief about how tonight is going to play out, I'll play along somewhat. The answer is none, since they're not realistic in any scenario.

I'll say Poole. Spare me the spiel about the atrocious contract, defense and shot selection, because I'm not advocating for this, but he's the likely cap casualty of the Warriors, the Spurs supposedly had interest in his draft and his stock is rock bottom, so something like Graham and low level draft capital might get it done.

mudd
05-16-2023, 05:13 PM
Despite my long held belief about how tonight is going to play out, I'll play along somewhat. The answer is none, since they're not realistic in any scenario.

I'll say Poole. Spare me the spiel about the atrocious contract, defense and shot selection, because I'm not advocating for this, but he's the likely cap casualty of the Warriors, the Spurs supposedly had interest in his draft and his stock is rock bottom, so something like Graham and low level draft capital might get it done.

mudd
05-16-2023, 05:20 PM
lets not kid ourselves, we don't get Wemby, and its over. Empty seats this past season, dumbass coach chasing away fans,
small market press....austin poaching...5 years max...

baseline bum
05-16-2023, 06:41 PM
lets not kid ourselves, we don't get Wemby, and its over. Empty seats this past season, dumbass coach chasing away fans,
small market press....austin poaching...5 years max...

LOL Trumptards bitter Pop disses their beloved New York City conman

NASpurs
05-16-2023, 08:08 PM
Now that hypotheticals are out the window and reality has set in...

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 08:14 PM
need a starting PG

itzsoweezee
05-16-2023, 08:18 PM
All the free agent point guard are pretty bad. I’d take Schroeder over Russell, Irving, Van Fleet, etc. Best case is the Spurs use their cap room to trade for a quality vet. I’d be all on board for a guy like Chris Paul.

baseline bum
05-16-2023, 08:30 PM
Wonder if the Spurs will hold out cap space for a year to make a run at Jaylen Brown, Pascal Siakam, or maybe even bring Dejounte back in summer of 2024. Or if Brown is really wanting out of Boston the Spurs could make a pretty good offer for him this summer with all the stockpiled picks.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 08:31 PM
Van Vleet would be a nice addition, but depends on his price tag which is quite high I assume

rjv
05-17-2023, 10:43 AM
KA-thanks for this thread, in an ST world that was littered with debbie downers insisting that the spurs were going to wind up with the 6th pick, you out out the positive vibes. you're the real MVP!

BatManu20
05-17-2023, 10:51 AM
Van Vleet would be a nice addition, but depends on his price tag which is quite high I assume

The guy who said, “Fuck the Spurs” on Instagram Live after Toronto won it all in 2019..? Highly doubtful :lol

Big Empty
05-17-2023, 11:06 AM
LOL Trumptards bitter Pop disses their beloved New York City conman
Ha, soon they wont be able to blame losses or empty seats on Pops politics thats all that is. 2025 free agents Jamal Murray, Brandon Ingram, Kawhi, OG Anunoby is a better FA class right when Wemby is hitting his 3rd year. All the other free agents this and next year just arent attractive

T Park
05-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Wonder if the Spurs will hold out cap space for a year to make a run at Jaylen Brown, Pascal Siakam, or maybe even bring Dejounte back in summer of 2024. Or if Brown is really wanting out of Boston the Spurs could make a pretty good offer for him this summer with all the stockpiled picks.

Jaylen Brown got All NBA. Isnt he eligible for super max?

daslicer
05-17-2023, 11:08 AM
Ha, soon they wont be able to blame losses or empty seats on Pops politics thats all that is. 2025 free agents Jamal Murray, Brandon Ingram, Kawhi, OG Anunoby is a better FA class right when Wemby is hitting his 3rd year. All the other free agents this and next year just arent attractive

I would laugh if the Spurs got Kawhi in '25. It would be somewhat fitting they get him back as an old injury prone vet.

John B
05-17-2023, 11:14 AM
need a starting PG

I wouldn’t mind bringing George Hill back. He’s a vet PG who knows the system.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-17-2023, 12:49 PM
I had this weird feeling about Wemby being a Spur but I didn't want to jinx it by putting it in a thread. This one didn't hurt us, so good job! Lots of reverse jinxes out there must have saved us from this thread being cursed.

baseline bum
05-17-2023, 03:26 PM
Jaylen Brown got All NBA. Isnt he eligible for super max?

Crap, guess so

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 04:18 PM
if we're just gonna get a stopgap bet i'd prefer just getting shroder until we find a real one. im not wanting to overspend for Bryn VanForbes. id sooner overpay for deangelo russell than fvv, and im not too keen on that either

i like george hill but he's just too old right now

making a move to draft Black might be my favorite option right now

T Park
05-19-2023, 04:02 PM
Crap, guess so

Yeah and hes gonna want it. I like Jaylen Brown, but a dude whos bitchy about being second fiddle and super max? Respectfully decline.