PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Miller - 2023 NBA Draft Prospect

timvp
05-15-2023, 11:56 PM
Brandon Miller
https://i.imgur.com/ix93QMB.jpg

Full Scouting Report (https://www.spurstalk.com/brandon-miller-san-antonio-spurs-draft/)

Height: 6-foot-9
Weight: 200 pounds
College: Alabama
Position: SF
Draft Range: 2-4

Spurs Comparison: Sean Elliott 2.0

Strengths: Shooting accuracy, playmaking size, passing upside, defensive potential

Weaknesses: Primo parallels, tournament struggles, lack of strength

Full Scouting Report (https://www.spurstalk.com/brandon-miller-san-antonio-spurs-draft/)

xsIWjtaRM-A

DPG21920
05-16-2023, 12:01 AM
DIVISIVE - I still think it’s ridiculous to factor in Primo at all. He doesn’t matter - just the tape and their interviews.

SpurPadre
05-16-2023, 12:07 AM
There was no way in hell we'd get him and now even moreso after Ja Morant acting a fool.

TrainOfThought5
05-16-2023, 05:10 AM
I’m in the minority I know, but I think we should draft this guy over Scoot.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-16-2023, 05:30 AM
Unless there are some major red flags during his interviews, I'm taking him 3rd or 4th and willing to look past what has happened. Spurs need talent, shooting and malleable players and he fits with the modern NBA perfectly.

Silverheart80
05-16-2023, 05:58 AM
I’m in the minority I know, but I think we should draft this guy over Scoot.

Same. First impulse was NO WAY SHOULD WE DRAFT THIS GUY, considering the Primo parallels. But the more I think about it, considering that, which franchise is gonna interview this guy harder than the Spurs? If the team drafts him, I'm gonna trust PATFO know what they're doing. His build and skill set is what's now required to win in today's NBA and for where the league is headed. And as I've said elsewhere, in a league where playmakers are becoming longer and taller, it makes no sense to build around a 6'2" point guard if the goal is winning championships. Might have been able to get away with that height in bygone eras, but not where the league is headed. Too much of a defensive liability if the goal is winning chips. Go with Miller over Scoot, pending Miller passing the interview tests.

rascal
05-16-2023, 06:48 AM
He is going to be the biggest bust in the top ten.

mo7888
05-16-2023, 07:08 AM
He'd be my pick at 3 if I couldn't find a trade package I liked. That said, I feel pretty confident there'd be offers on the table to move back if we so chose..

JPB
05-16-2023, 07:21 AM
Unless there are some major red flags during his interviews, I'm taking him 3rd or 4th and willing to look past what has happened. Spurs need talent, shooting and malleable players and he fits with the modern NBA perfectly.

Yeah, he definitely knows about shooting and he's so malleable that he kindly accepted to bring a gun that would be used to kill a young mother.

Spurs will stay away.

heyheymymy
05-16-2023, 07:40 AM
DIVISIVE - I still think it’s ridiculous to factor in Primo at all. He doesn’t matter - just the tape and their interviews.

Just the tape, basketball highlights or crime scene?

KobesAchilles
05-16-2023, 07:41 AM
He’s my pick after Wemby. The dude is exactly what we need. There will be another PG next draft that is better than Scoot. Draft Miller and we will still suck and get the 3 pick next year again and then draft our franchise PG.

DPG21920
05-16-2023, 07:42 AM
Just the tape, basketball highlights or crime scene?

I’m not saying his off court stuff does not matter. Of course it does. I’m saying tossing Primo PTSD in is what clouds things. They should pretend Primo doesn’t exist. Who cares if they both went to Bama? That’s just caring about ego and image and not something that smart teams do regarding talent/background.

InRareForm
05-16-2023, 07:58 AM

Dejounte
05-16-2023, 08:01 AM
This dude is a fool and is probably as dumb as Morant, which was confirmed by his pregame antics following the whole gun ordeal

Dejounte
05-16-2023, 08:02 AM
This is one of those instances where I’d take a role player perceived ceiling prospect like Black and try to develop him into a star than draft this idiot.

mo7888
05-16-2023, 08:05 AM
This is one of those instances where I’d take a role player perceived ceiling prospect like Black and try to develop him into a star than draft this idiot.

Just trade back...

exstatic
05-16-2023, 08:13 AM
I’m not saying his off court stuff does not matter. Of course it does. I’m saying tossing Primo PTSD in is what clouds things. They should pretend Primo doesn’t exist. Who cares if they both went to Bama? That’s just caring about ego and image and not something that smart teams do regarding talent/background.

Disagree. What it says is that their program has no personal standards. They’re desperate to improve in a tough SEC, and don’t much care who you are.

Don’t forget, the kid who actually pulled the trigger and killed that girl was an Alabama basketball player, too.

exstatic
05-16-2023, 08:15 AM
Just trade back...

Yeah. I’m probably as big a Black Stan as anyone here, and would never pick him at 2.

BatManu20
05-16-2023, 08:53 AM

The Truth #6
05-16-2023, 09:22 AM
Agree with Lebowski. As for Primo at Bama, afaik, I don’t think he had any issues other than irrational confidence. He kept everything “under wrap”.

In a sense, PTSD very well may have been the issue. And if so, that would be two of our recent FRPs that didn’t pan out due to PTSD issues in my opinion.

DPG21920
05-16-2023, 09:31 AM
Disagree. What it says is that their program has no personal standards. They’re desperate to improve in a tough SEC, and don’t much care who you are.

Don’t forget, the kid who actually pulled the trigger and killed that girl was an Alabama basketball player, too.

That’s fine - but that is bias. Do your due diligence and don’t believe their coach, but not drafting someone because of Primo is dumb.

MultiTroll
05-16-2023, 09:38 AM
NCAA tourney.
13 - 61
7-33 treys.

Is this is legal woes or is he just too young?

BacktoBasics
05-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Rather this kid make mistakes in college than in the pros. He’s exactly the kind of person that not only needs a change of scenery but needs a low key franchise that has a reputation for discipline and character.

Although it definitely showed a lack of maturity the gun situation is confusing to a lot of people. Had he been a white guy delivering a gun to a friend for self defense no one cares. None of the correspondence via text suggested he had any idea the gun was going to be used in a crime. Stupid, yes. Premeditated accomplice to murder, no.

The pregame show was tone deaf but he has been doing it all year. The school didn’t think to bring it up?

He needs a good program and organization that can help surround him by better people.

I think he has something. He’s not as flashy as Scoot but I’d take Miller at 2. There will be regrets taking this guy at 4.

MultiTroll
05-16-2023, 09:42 AM
Do Pops be tryna brings back dis gangsta?
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.rS27n866z-dnZInOKLPKxAAAAA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

BacktoBasics
05-16-2023, 09:45 AM
NCAA tourney.
13 - 61
7-33 treys.

Is this is legal woes or is he just too young?

How are you going to perform with the whole community against you while receiving death threats. That tourney was a no win situation for him.

I’m not holding it against him.

Some of you can’t perform in bed after a few drinks but expect this guy to have a stellar tourney while checking the rafters for maga snipers.

Ariel
05-16-2023, 09:48 AM
This dude is a fool and is probably as dumb as Morant, which was confirmed by his pregame antics following the whole gun ordeal
Yeah, I agree with this. You can believe what you want about his involvement in the murder case, but his pat down routine afterwards shows he's got extremely poor judgement, and that's not debatable.

Dejounte
05-16-2023, 09:50 AM
Rather this kid make mistakes in college than in the pros. He’s exactly the kind of person that not only needs a change of scenery but needs a low key franchise that has a reputation for discipline and character.

Although it definitely showed a lack of maturity the gun situation is confusing to a lot of people. Had he been a white guy delivering a gun to a friend for self defense no one cares. None of the correspondence via text suggested he had any idea the gun was going to be used in a crime. Stupid, yes. Premeditated accomplice to murder, no.

The pregame show was tone deaf but he has been doing it all year. The school didn’t think to bring it up?

He needs a good program and organization that can help surround him by better people.

I think he has something. He’s not as flashy as Scoot but I’d take Miller at 2. There will be regrets taking this guy at 4.

“The school didnt think to bring it up”? The fuck? Bro, you are an enabler and take no one accountable for their actions. You highly want this dude to be redeemed because you’re against white supremacy, we get it. It’s clouding your views.

Dejounte
05-16-2023, 09:50 AM

“The school didnt think to bring it up”? The fuck? Bro, you are an enabler and take no one accountable for their actions. You highly want this dude to be redeemed because you’re against white supremacy, we get it. It’s clouding your views.

vander
05-16-2023, 09:51 AM
sad that this is the only guy from 2-7 that can actually shoot. I feel like he's the only choice outside of Wemby, or trade down

John B
05-16-2023, 09:52 AM
Miller fits seamlessly with the current roster. And he is a go-to scorer the Spurs are desperately needing. I think given the opportunity, Spurs would pick Miller even as high as 2 over Scoot. I wouldn’t read too much on Primo parallel. Miller is Miller, so it’s not fair to judge him for what Primo did. He is not charged, that should be the end of it. Sochan, Vassell, Johnson, Miller and Collins. Not a bad line-up.

MultiTroll
05-16-2023, 10:02 AM
How are you going to perform with the whole community against you while receiving death threats. That tourney was a no win situation for him.

Alabamans worship guns.
Where do you get this "whole community" against him?

The Truth #6
05-16-2023, 10:02 AM
I think Miller might be worse than Primo. To me, it's hard to say.

JPB
05-16-2023, 10:20 AM
Miller fits seamlessly with the current roster. And he is a go-to scorer the Spurs are desperately needing. I think given the opportunity, Spurs would pick Miller even as high as 2 over Scoot. I wouldn’t read too much on Primo parallel. Miller is Miller, so it’s not fair to judge him for what Primo did. He is not charged, that should be the end of it. Sochan, Vassell, Johnson, Miller and Collins. Not a bad line-up.

Primo wasn't charged either, and no one died when he flashed his schlong. I don't care about texts personnally, when a "friend" urgently aks to bring a gun on some place, you know it's not to fuck his ass with it. He certainly knew that guy personality and there was certainly some gangsta' cred in play for Miller in all that story. But it was a good job from his agents and lawyers to bring the attention and focus on small details to make people forget about the big picture (basic lawyer job).

-Spurs: So Brandon, why in all hell did you have in your possession some friend's gun and accept to bring it to him on what would be a crime scene?

-Miller: (what did my agents tell me to answer again?)... I'm stupid! But I've learned from my mistakes, like Ja! I'll never give my gun to a friend from now on!

Spurs will pass.

duncan2150
05-16-2023, 10:27 AM
clear no 3 in this draft for me

John B
05-16-2023, 10:55 AM
Primo wasn't charged either, and no one died when he flashed his schlong. I don't care about texts personnally, when a "friend" urgently aks to bring a gun on some place, you know it's not to fuck his ass with it. He certainly knew that guy personality and there was certainly some gangsta' cred in play for Miller in all that story. But it was a good job from his agents and lawyers to bring the attention and focus on small details to make people forget about the big picture (basic lawyer job).

-Spurs: So Brandon, why in all hell did you have in your possession some friend's gun and accept to bring it to him on what would be a crime scene?

-Miller: (what did my agents tell me to answer again?)... I'm stupid! But I've learned from my mistakes, like Ja! I'll never give my gun to a friend from now on!

Spurs will pass.

This Spurs culture, they will not touch him with a 10 foot pole, is a bit over-exaggerated. The Spurs will not pass on a clear talent, the best go-to scorer prospect of the draft, not-named Wemby, just because the kid was dumb enough to get himself tangled with the wrong friend. Imagine passing up on a potential Paul George and trade down to get Diop. Somebody’s head would fall. At that high, you draft the best talent and potential franchise player and surround him with good people.

CGD
05-16-2023, 11:08 AM
This Spurs culture, they will not touch him with a 10 foot pole, is a bit over-exaggerated. The Spurs will not pass on a clear talent, the best go-to scorer prospect of the draft, not-named Wemby, just because the kid was dumb enough to get himself tangled with the wrong friend. Imagine passing up on a potential Paul George and trade down to get Diop. Somebody’s head would fall. At that high, you draft the best talent and potential franchise player and surround him with good people.

I also wonder if the character thing is overstated. If he really distinguishes himself in try outs at least draft and flip him no?

rascal
05-16-2023, 11:08 AM

Some of you can’t perform in bed after a few drinks but expect this guy to have a stellar tourney while checking the rafters for maga snipers.

He crumbled under pressure, not someone I want on my team.

I'm not that impressed with him as a player either.
He's overrated and has questionable character issues. The Spurs won't draft him anyways.

rjv
05-16-2023, 11:10 AM
doesn't matter what ST posters think, it matters what the spurs front office is likely to think and that's why i agree that miller is highly unlikely to wind up as a spur.

duncan2150
05-16-2023, 11:17 AM
maybe teams will have acces to more intel about the murder case, he also has a sports back ground maybe that's nothing but we'll see if he will end up ala ja morant or primo.

Both players i cited did not have issues coming in the NBA right ? so everything is not simple like " he'll be primo" or something else.

John B
05-16-2023, 11:19 AM

He's overrated and has questionable character issues. The Spurs won't draft him anyways.

His shooting is not suspect. The kid can shoot. But as far as crumbling in high pressure, I think better spacing and coaching in the NBA should fix that. So I don't read much about underperforming in the tournament, when he was circled in as a big defensive target. In the NBA, Pop could draw up plays to get him open, and he will be open. He would just let those fly.

Chinook
05-16-2023, 11:59 AM

Of course Primo matters. They did tape and interviews for him and where unable to ascertain that the dude was a predator. Is that because Josh is some mastermind? No. We all saw his attempted defense when he was being sued. He's a dumb kid like most people that age. They missed it either because of something wrong with their scouting/vetting process in that region that wouldn't look into this or because the Alabama staff purposefully lies about and covers up criminal behavior. No, it's not the case of Primo being the only reason to ignore Miller. But yes, that they missed such a big thing and that Alabama has had multiple criminals on their team in such a short span is a cause for concern in my book.

Can Miller "pass" regardless? Of course, but if there are concerns at all that they don't know the whole story or if they find themselves wondering if they should hope Miller "matures" past his lapses in judgment, or hell even if some exec on the team is standing a little too hard on the table for the guy, they should reconsider their board. They can afford to draft a bust. They cannot afford to draft a PR nightmare. They simply don't have the talent or cache to absorb that anymore. It's very fortunate that what Primo did is being mostly overlooked. I don't think such a thing would happen again if Miller does something and it comes out that some on the team were aware and suppressing it again.

pad300
05-16-2023, 12:38 PM
I think we're more likely to draft Leonard Miller than Brandon Miller...

Ariel
05-16-2023, 12:40 PM
I think the Ja Morant issue is more likely to affect Brandon Miller's stock than Josh Primo's.

timvp
05-16-2023, 12:53 PM

I was going to respond but exstatic and Chinook basically covered it.

Of course Primo matters. They did tape and interviews for him and where unable to ascertain that the dude was a predator. Is that because Josh is some mastermind? No. We all saw his attempted defense when he was being sued. He's a dumb kid like most people that age. They missed it either because of something wrong with their scouting/vetting process in that region that wouldn't look into this or because the Alabama staff purposefully lies about and covers up criminal behavior. No, it's not the case of Primo being the only reason to ignore Miller. But yes, that they missed such a big thing and that Alabama has had multiple criminals on their team in such a short span is a cause for concern in my book.

Can Miller "pass" regardless? Of course, but if there are concerns at all that they don't know the whole story or if they find themselves wondering if they should hope Miller "matures" past his lapses in judgment, or hell even if some exec on the team is standing a little too hard on the table for the guy, they should reconsider their board. They can afford to draft a bust. They cannot afford to draft a PR nightmare. They simply don't have the talent or cache to absorb that anymore. It's very fortunate that what Primo did is being mostly overlooked. I don't think such a thing would happen again if Miller does something and it comes out that some on the team were aware and suppressing it again.

I mean, in theory, DPG21920, you're right. Factoring in Primo makes no logical sense. You can't punish Miller for something Primo did.

But, big picture wise, the front office was able to skirt around the Primo debacle due to running such a clean ship for decades. If they pick Miller and he starts "accidentally" running guns for the Sinaloa Cartel, that'd be so disastrous that the front office could get fired. Considering that the front office probably has a decade-plus of job security as long as they avoid gigantic unforced non-basketball related errors, I just can't see them picking Miller.

spurraider21
05-16-2023, 12:58 PM
miller could definitely be the "tough shot maker" that our offense sorely lacks. guy that we can just go to for buckets when needed. vassell has potential for that role of course, but Miller looks tailor made for it, on top of having good defensive potential given his athleticism. i think we could do a lot worse than miller.

off the court stuff is apparently the reason we wont wind up with him, which sucks, but i dont think "primo parallels" makes much sense at all. these guys were never teammates. judge them individually. primo didnt have red flags that we know of. theyre very different situations. i hope they actually have done their due diligence instead of just "hur durr primo went to alabama too hur durr"

Dejounte
05-16-2023, 01:04 PM
It looked tailor made for Miller because their game plan was to feed him the ball in nearly every play. Miller chucks 3’s and is hardly the shot maker people make him out to be.

spurraider21
05-16-2023, 01:12 PM
It looked tailor made for Miller because their game plan was to feed him the ball in nearly every play. Miller chucks 3’s and is hardly the shot maker people make him out to be.
if he's being force fed the ball and asked to be a shotmaker, and then he delivers as a shotmaker, it kinda shows hes tailor made for the role

BacktoBasics
05-16-2023, 01:20 PM

What part of me stating that he was tone deaf are confused about. The school clearly felt he wasn’t in the wrong but no one else thought to say “hey, I know you’ve been doing that routine all year but in light of the situation we’re gonna recommend you don’t simulate guns in your pregame”.

I’ll also note… what accountability are you looking for? Should he have been cut for a dumb pregame routine?

BacktoBasics
05-16-2023, 01:25 PM

His team wasn’t exactly ballin either. If you think determining that this kid has bust written on him because he didn’t perform well amid distractions of the magnitude of a teammate murdering a women and subsequent death threats then I really call into question your judgement regarding the humanity around all that.

I’m sure the kid could have used counseling and some time alone to reflect. Instead he was forced onto the biggest stage and expected to tune it out.

I’m not holding that tourney against him and anyone who does is living in a vacuum void of humanity.

He’s still a teen.

BacktoBasics
05-16-2023, 01:28 PM
Alabamans worship guns.
Where do you get this "whole community" against him?

I don’t question the ammosexual nature of Alabama but I also don’t question the nature of those same ammosexuals to excuse white people handing a gun to a friend and criminalizing a black man when he does it.

He was receiving death threats. If it was Grady Dick he would have been applauded for having the courage to show up in such a tough situation.

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 01:32 PM
if he's being force fed the ball and asked to be a shotmaker, and then he delivers as a shotmaker, it kinda shows hes tailor made for the role

But... he didn't. His tournament was epic.

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 01:33 PM
I don’t question the ammosexual nature of Alabama but I also don’t question the nature of those same ammosexuals to excuse white people handing a gun to a friend and criminalizing a black man when he does it.

He was receiving death threats. If it was Grady Dick he would have been applauded for having the courage to show up in such a tough situation.

If Gradey Dick lead to the murder of a young black mother, he'd probably be questioned publicly, too.

spurraider21
05-16-2023, 01:44 PM
But... he didn't. His tournament was epic.
not in this thread, but yeah ive acknowledged his awful tournament as a red flag. season and sample size are a lot longer than that tho

John B
05-16-2023, 01:49 PM
His team wasn’t exactly ballin either. If you think determining that this kid has bust written on him because he didn’t perform well amid distractions of the magnitude of a teammate murdering a women and subsequent death threats then I really call into question your judgement regarding the humanity around all that.

I’m sure the kid could have used counseling and some time alone to reflect. Instead he was forced onto the biggest stage and expected to tune it out.

I’m not holding that tourney against him and anyone who does is living in a vacuum void of humanity.

He’s still a teen.

Actually he’s now 20 :lol

BacktoBasics
05-16-2023, 02:02 PM
If Gradey Dick lead to the murder of a young black mother, he'd probably be questioned publicly, too.
He didn’t. Miller didn’t bring the shooter the gun and had no idea that his friend was going to pass the gun off to a 3rd party.

Definitely not legally responsible and judging by the text messages and information public he didn’t have any knowledge of what the gun would be used for.

He didn’t hand the gun or even correspond with the shooter in any capacity related to that event.

All I’m doing is holding him to the same standard of property transfer as everyone else.

None of the text or correspondence discussed anything related to why the first party was asking for the gun. I’m not even sold that the person he gave it to knew the shooters intent until well after Miller gave him the gun.

Face value also suggests that Miller didn’t load the gun either.

Would you or I bring a gun to a friend in the middle of the night? Probably not but there are millions of people who have for all kinds of innocuous reasons.

Handing a gun to someone. Who then takes the gun to someone else without your permission isn’t a crime unless you can establish some level of intent. There was none.

Again. If it was Grady he’d be applauded for being a cooperative witness and handing adversity. Miller is absolutely being criminalized wrongly.

Regardless of whether we feel it was poor judgment.

BacktoBasics
05-16-2023, 02:06 PM
If Wright gave RC a bottle of wine who then gave it to Pop who then killed someone while drunk driving I guess everyone here wants Wright arrested.

The Truth #6
05-16-2023, 02:11 PM
We don’t discuss DWIs about Spurs FO, coaches, and owners!

DPG21920
05-16-2023, 02:17 PM
I mean I get it - just don’t like the framing of Primo mattering. All of what y’all say makes sense and is true to a degree, but you cannot go in with that bias. The risk is there whether primo happened or not. Just means due diligence is tougher in this case; not that you pass on a great player out of fear.

Gibbz
05-16-2023, 02:19 PM
Not worth the headache--I'd rather trade out of #3 if that's where we land.

DPG21920
05-16-2023, 02:21 PM
Just take Whitmore. I honestly like Whitmore more than Miller at this point even not factoring in off court.

timvp
05-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Just take Whitmore. I honestly like Whitmore more than Miller at this point even not factoring in off court.

I might be joining you, tbh. Whitmore looks better after doing a deep dive. Factor in his age and he's pretty impressive even though he doesn't know yet that you're allowed to pass to teammates in basketball . . .

baseline bum
05-16-2023, 02:32 PM
If Wright gave RC a bottle of wine who then gave it to Pop who then killed someone while drunk driving I guess everyone here wants Wright arrested.

Whatever it takes after drafting Primo

DPG21920
05-16-2023, 02:34 PM
I might be joining you, tbh. Whitmore looks better after doing a deep dive. Factor in his age and he's pretty impressive even though he doesn't know yet that you're allowed to pass to teammates in basketball . . .

I will be thrilled with him honestly. That’s why top 4 and I feel pretty good. After that, gets depressing lol

spurraider21
05-16-2023, 02:35 PM
i still like miller the player better than whitmore the player but its not a big enough gap that i'd be furious about taking whitmore at 3

but i have scoot-miller-whitmore as my 2-4

past that id be willing to swing at a thompson

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-16-2023, 02:56 PM
Not sold on Miller. Character is an issue. Also, that 19% shooting in the NCAA tournament shows me he's not "Big Game Brandon". We already had DDR and LaMarcus. We don't need another guy that shrivels in the post season.

Gibbz
05-16-2023, 02:57 PM

Big fan of Whitmore, that dude is a freakshow.

rascal
05-16-2023, 05:12 PM
He didn’t. Miller didn’t bring the shooter the gun and had no idea that his friend was going to pass the gun off to a 3rd party.

Definitely not legally responsible and judging by the text messages and information public he didn’t have any knowledge of what the gun would be used for.

He didn’t hand the gun or even correspond with the shooter in any capacity related to that event.

All I’m doing is holding him to the same standard of property transfer as everyone else.

None of the text or correspondence discussed anything related to why the first party was asking for the gun. I’m not even sold that the person he gave it to knew the shooters intent until well after Miller gave him the gun.

Face value also suggests that Miller didn’t load the gun either.

Would you or I bring a gun to a friend in the middle of the night? Probably not but there are millions of people who have for all kinds of innocuous reasons.

Handing a gun to someone. Who then takes the gun to someone else without your permission isn’t a crime unless you can establish some level of intent. There was none.

Again. If it was Grady he’d be applauded for being a cooperative witness and handing adversity. Miller is absolutely being criminalized wrongly.

Regardless of whether we feel it was poor judgment.

He has poor judgment in the type of guys he's friends with.

He isn't good enough to pass on his questionable character alone But.

I'm not big on disqualifying a player on character alone but add up how poorly he played in a big spot in the tournament with the questionable character and then add I don't see special talents(quickness beating his man with athleticism, an extreme finisher at the rim) like I do with Scoot, Amen, Cam(players who will be in the range with Miller and where the spurs will be drafting so everything added together I'll pass on Miller and draft one of these other players.

If I'm drafting him for primarily shooting then I'll be happy to draft Jordan Hawkins who I like more as a perimeter NBA shooting prospect.

BacktoBasics
05-16-2023, 06:20 PM
He has poor judgment in the type of guys he's friends with.

He isn't good enough to pass on his questionable character alone But.

I'm not big on disqualifying a player on character alone but add up how poorly he played in a big spot in the tournament with the questionable character and then add I don't see special talents(quickness beating his man with athleticism, an extreme finisher at the rim) like I do with Scoot, Amen, Cam(players who will be in the range with Miller and where the spurs will be drafting so everything added together I'll pass on Miller and draft one of these other players.

If I'm drafting him for primarily shooting then I'll be happy to draft Jordan Hawkins who I like more as a perimeter NBA shooting prospect.

I can’t speak to Millers ceiling but I’ll make two claims here that we can revisit.

1. He’s going to be a respectable to above average starter in this league by his 3rd season.

2. He’s not going to have any significant character issues while in the NBA. IE guns, beating women… the serious stuff. I’m not talking infidelity or weed etc.

Dudes gonna be fine.

scott
05-16-2023, 06:31 PM
Would still take him 3 and maybe even 2 tbh

Ariel
05-18-2023, 07:09 PM
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271622/Brandon-Miller-Not-Currently-In-Great-Shape-Interviews-Have-Not-Gone-Great

But there are still questions surrounding Miller's involvement in the killing of Jamea Jonae Harris and his interviews reportedly have not gone well in addition to his current conditioning level.

"Every team is looking for this type of player," said ESPN's Jonathan Givony on Zach Lowe's podcast. "Six-nine, big guard, can handle the ball. Pass out of pick and roll. Make shots off the dribble. Defend multiple positions. Rebound. That's what people are looking for.

"At the same time, he's not in great shape right now. So I don't know how great his workout is going to be.

"His interviews have not been great, I've been told. Both publicly and privately with NBA teams.

"I would put it 60 percent Brandon Miller at two, 40 percent Scoot Henderson. I do think they're going to have trade conversations too. I would be shocked if they traded [the pick]. They would be out of their minds honestly. The best thing in the world that could have happened for them is getting the No. 2 pick."
Clearly all of these signs (shooting involvement, pat down charade, failing interviews, presenting himself in bad shape) aren't independent of each other. This guy almost certainly has a few loose screws upstairs.

Ariel
05-18-2023, 07:11 PM
Would still take him 3 and maybe even 2 tbh
I was once in the same boat. Not anymore.

spurraider21
05-18-2023, 07:24 PM
im not feeling Miller anymore tbh

pass

Stump
05-18-2023, 07:28 PM
I didn't like Ingram as a prospect before this piece of information. Now I'm not even sure if I would take him top 3. If this is true and not a smokescreen from someone, Charlotte would be crazy to take him over Scoot. It will also potentially depress the value of Portland's #3 pick.

kobyz
05-18-2023, 07:36 PM
I Could see him fall to Houston

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 07:40 PM
Seems destined for the cursed #2 pick.

How can you com into draft season out of shape?

JPB
05-18-2023, 07:40 PM

Are you really comparing giving a bottle of wine to someone, to going to some place and give a gun to a friend who asked you to bring it here?

K...
05-18-2023, 07:59 PM
Seems destined for the cursed #2 pick.

How can you com into draft season out of shape?

he said he had a muscle injury in the tournament so maybe he took time to rehab?

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 08:04 PM
There are vids showing at least some of his interviews aren't bad. This may be overblown.

BacktoBasics
05-18-2023, 08:05 PM
Are you really comparing giving a bottle of wine to someone, to going to some place and give a gun to a friend who asked you to bring it here?

I’m making a point about chain of custody and responsibility. In relation to the law. Especially when it comes to a situation where the entire chain of communication was available to the police and not one single text pointed to intent or knowledge of what ended up happening.

It looks like even Miles didn’t know what was going to happen until after the shooter took custody of the gun.

So while I’ll agree that it’s not the smartest choice by Miller it’s a long ways away from any culpability in the murder.

It’s not illegal to give a gun a friend. Then have that friend give the gun to a 3rd person.

Me personally. I think we should have laws about lending firearms to friends or really anyone. But this is not the world we live in and it’s disingenuous to attempt make Miller responsible when he operated within the law, did nothing wrong and had no prior knowledge.

Just like my example.

BacktoBasics
05-18-2023, 08:12 PM

Sorry. To answer your question. Yes. Absofuckinglutely. Because that is the culture we have created in society. The gun is as arbitrary as the bottle of wine or a cup of milk. There is not additional accountability with a gun as anything else. I can legally give you my gun just like I can give you an extra pair of pants if you piss yourself.

There is no additional distinction for the gun.

Again, for me. I don’t like that. I think there should be a significantly greater level of accountability. But I’m not a ammosexual gun nutter fucktard. But that’s what we’ve put in office and allowed to control the current policies.

Don’t like it. Vote. Tell your friends to vote and shame gunsexual assholes who think a gun is no different than a bottle of wine or a t-shirt.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2023, 08:18 PM
You're parroting NRA talking points and not doing a very good job. The equivalency between a gun and alcohol is shit so you act like because they can change hands in similar fashion they should be handled the same way.

And as a matter of fact, you had better hope for a distinction for the gun because alcohol possession and distribution is highly regulated. A bartender who overserves absolutely is liable

That is why the NRA makes taht argument with something innocuous like a knife because when you start looking at how other things are regulated it becomes evident how fraught your position is.

BacktoBasics
05-18-2023, 08:24 PM
You're parroting NRA talking points and not doing a very good job. The equivalency between a gun and alcohol is shit so you act like because they can change hands in similar fashion they should be handled the same way.

And as a matter of fact, you had better hope for a distinction for the gun because alcohol possession and distribution is highly regulated. A bartender who overserves absolutely is liable

That is why the NRA makes taht argument with something innocuous like a knife because when you start looking at how other things are regulated it becomes evident how fraught your position is.
I’m not a gun advocate or an nra fan. I’m acknowledging reality.

The bar is not responsible if the guy gets drunk at the bar then goes to his friends house and drinks more then does something stupid.

Don’t misinterpret my understanding of reality for supporting it.

I also don’t give a fuck if you like my analogy or not. The point is valid. No reason to be a dick and want to split hairs over semantics.

If you give a family member your gun and they give it to another person without your knowledge you’re legally not responsible. Especially if the establishing communication shows that you had zero knowledge of intent.

Let me tell you. This shit happens all the time with white people.

Let me borrow your gun Fuzzy. Okay Doug. Here. Then Doug gives the gun to someone else and they rob a store.

You’re not responsible. In most states. Including Texas.

Don’t fucking blame me for that stupidity. I don’t make the policies.

But I will say this. Miller had no knowledge of a potential crime. That was established immediately with the texts handed over.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2023, 08:26 PM
I’m not a gun advocate or an nra fan. I’m acknowledging reality.

The bar is not responsible if the guy gets drunk at the bar then goes to his friends house and drinks more then does something stupid.

Don’t misinterpret my understanding of reality for supporting it.

If you give a family your gun and they give it to another person without your knowledge you’re legally not responsible. Especially if the establishing communication shows that you had zero knowledge of intent.

Let me tell you. This shit happens all the time with white people.

Let me borrow your gun Fuzzy. Okay Doug. Here. Then Doug gives the gun to someone else and they rob a store.

You’re not responsible. I’m most states. Including Texas.

Don’t fucking blame me for that stupidity. You don’t make the policies.

But I will say this. Miller had no knowledge of a potential crime. That was established immediately with the texts handed over.

You are parroting a NRA talking point badly. You are hardly the first with the chain of custody equivalency end around. You can claim to be whatever you like.

BacktoBasics
05-18-2023, 08:35 PM
You are parroting a NRA talking point badly. You are hardly the first with the chain of custody equivalency end around. You can claim to be whatever you like.

Fuck the nra. I’m not a gunsexual ammo licking fucktard. who thinks we should hand guns to anyone. But don’t criminalize the black kid when these same laws protect this kind of irresponsible gun ownership everywhere else.

Your issue isn’t Brandon Miller. It’s conservatives gop gun nutters who carry water for the nra.

But oddly your taking issue with Miller who actually had no knowledge that a crime would be committed instead of the politicians that don’t create common sense gun laws that restrict peoples ability to freely pass their guns around without accountability.

If there were laws that said you have to register your gun and cannot hand your firearm to anyone under any circumstances or it’s a felony. The at least you run the chance that Miller thinks twice about breaking “that” law.

Whereas in this reality. He had no reason to not let his buddy have the gun. Because there was law against that.

Ariel
05-18-2023, 08:46 PM
So while I’ll agree that it’s not the smartest choice by Miller it’s a long ways away from any culpability in the murder.

It’s not illegal to give a gun a friend. Then have that friend give the gun to a 3rd person.
I'm not informed enough on the matter so as to make a confident assessment on his culpability in the murder. Then again, I'm a foreign basketball fan living thousands of miles away from the US, so debating US gun laws or general political issues doesn't concern me and I'll refrain from doing so.
With that said, even if not illegal, delivering a gun in shady circumstances to a third party and not realizing the potential ramifications speaks volume of his decision making process. I probably had better judgement by age 10. Then you have the pat down routine at a game shortly after the event, which (if not callous) would take Forrest Gump like levels of cluelessness. So again, either this guy is a psychopath or his judgement is seriously impaired. Either way, I'd stay the f*ck away from him.

BacktoBasics
05-18-2023, 08:52 PM
I'm not informed enough on the matter so as to make a confident assessment on his culpability in the murder. Then again, I'm a foreign basketball fan living thousands of miles away from the US, so debating US gun laws or general political issues doesn't concern me and I'll refrain from doing so.
With that said, even if not illegal, delivering a gun in shady circumstances to a third party and not realizing the potential ramifications speaks volume of his decision making process. I probably had better judgement by age 10. Then you have the pat down routine at a game shortly after the event, which (if not callous) would take Forrest Gump like levels of cluelessness. So again, either this guy is a psychopath or his judgement is seriously impaired. Either way, I'd stay the f*ck away from him.
Like you I wouldn’t be giving a gun to another person. Really under any circumstances.

What we have here is the normalization of gun culture. If you grow up being told that guns aren’t the problem. That guns are as normal as apple pie. That a gun is your god given right. That a gun is something that can freely be swapped amongst friends. With an entire political party rolling back gun laws. Advocating for gun sales and normalizing a firearm like a cup of coffee.

Then you get how a guy would think absolutely nothing of lending a gun to a friend.

One thing these people should never be allowed to do. Is normalize gun culture then question someone’s judgement when they operated within the law… in a society that goes out of its way to create zero accountability.

Miller is a byproduct of this society and culture. He’s hardly the one to blame.

I’m on the record that Miller Will probably have a career free of drama like this.

Meanwhile we’ll still have no accountability in the US.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2023, 08:55 PM
Fuck the nra. I’m not a gunsexual ammo licking fucktard. who thinks we should hand guns to anyone. But don’t criminalize the black kid when these same laws protect this kind of irresponsible gun ownership everywhere else.

Your issue isn’t Brandon Miller. It’s conservatives gop gun nutters who carry water for the nra.

But oddly your taking issue with Miller who actually had no knowledge that a crime would be committed instead of the politicians that don’t create common sense gun laws that restrict peoples ability to freely pass their guns around without accountability.

If there were laws that said you have to register your gun and cannot hand your firearm to anyone under any circumstances or it’s a felony. The at least you run the chance that Miller thinks twice about breaking “that” law.

Whereas in this reality. He had no reason to not let his buddy have the gun. Because there was law against that.

My issue is you using the NRA talking point. The chain of custody argument is a common NRA talking point. I have said nothing else other than that.

You should examine your cognitive dissonance as opposed to making up stories about me.

BacktoBasics
05-18-2023, 08:58 PM
My issue is you using the NRA talking point. The chain of custody argument is a common NRA talking point. I have said nothing else other than that.

You should examine your cognitive dissonance as opposed to making up stories about me.
Don’t jump to conclusions that I’m an advocate for the NRA. I’ll repeat it because it is reality.

Doesn’t mean I support it. But I’m not going to support holding Miller to a different set of standards than everyone else.

Take issue with the NRA or the policy makers instead of throwing shade my way.