PDA

View Full Version : 2023-2024 Spurs starting 5

Rocalcio
05-16-2023, 08:27 PM
Now that we got the sacred Graal, who do you think Pop will have as starters ?

We know he told Collins would be our center, and I actually don’t think Victor would like to be there, at least at the beginning while he’ll be facing massive 5s such as Embiid or Lopez and others.

If Sochan works on his shoot and improves it just like he improved his FT mechanic, I could see this :

PG : Jones (or any valuable PG from free agency)
SG : Vassell
SF : Sochan
PF : Wembanyama (still can’t believe I’m really writing that down and that it’s real… Not some fucking speculation like the previous 10 months)
C : Collins

rascal
05-16-2023, 08:36 PM
Spurs still need to make moves to the roster. It's too early to project starting lineups.

Seventyniner
05-16-2023, 08:37 PM
As much sense as it makes on paper, I still can't quite wrap my head around the idea of VW not being a center. Right now I would guess Jones/Vassell/Keldon/Sochan/VW. But the Spurs' plans for the offseason have probably changed drastically now that they got their man.

Rocalcio
05-16-2023, 08:40 PM
Spurs still need to make moves to the roster. It's too early to project starting lineups.

Apart from the PG spot, for which I stated that a more valuable player would be brought in, I wouldn’t change what we have.

buttsR4rebounding
05-16-2023, 08:40 PM

Rascal wrong again.

scott
05-16-2023, 09:09 PM
Definitely don't see Wemby as a 5, so I think you're lineup is probably pretty close to what we see to start the season. Maybe Wemby at the 3 and Sochan at the 4.

Wemby/Sochan/Keldon could be a pretty nice 3 man rotation at the 3 and 4 tbh. Obviously one of them will need to come off the bench, wonder if Keldon would be willing to accept that.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 09:12 PM
I think we'll probably start big and then go small, meaning he'll start at PF and then when Collins sits moves up to C with Sochan playing the 4

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 09:14 PM
Collins
Wemby

Then it gets a bit uncertain. I do think Keldon might be on the move. He's not a great fit, but...

Collins
Wemby
Johnson
Vassell
Jones

I actually think Sochan goes to the bench right now. But Johnson's a sticking point.

FvckMavs
05-16-2023, 09:15 PM
PG: Sochan
SG: Vassell
SF: Keldon
PF: Wemby
C: Collins

spurraider21
05-16-2023, 09:18 PM
i dont think sochan starts. probably primarily a 3 man rotation between Wemby/Collins/Sochan with some Bassey/Barlow being sprinkled in

wemby can handle himself on the perimeter but i doubt they have him chasing 3's around

Robz4000
05-16-2023, 09:18 PM
Jones
Vassell
Keldon
Sochan
Wemby

At least to start. Could see Jones and/or Johnson moved to the bench.

scott
05-16-2023, 09:20 PM
Going beyond the starting 5, here is the presumed depth chart:

PG: Tre*/Devonte/Blake
SG: Devin/Bran/Champagnie*
SF: Keldon/Doug/Langford(?)*
PF: Wemby/Sochan/Barlow*
C: Collins/Bassey/Mamu*/Birch

*Denotes FA

I'm going to assume we end up cutting Birch and not bring back Langford, resign the other FAs. This leaves one Roster Spot for Pick 33 or a FA. Surely more roster moves are incoming. We don't need to go all in on Win Now, but we should try to improve the team a little more for Wemby's ROY campaign.

DAF86
05-16-2023, 09:20 PM
I don't know how his career will start, but at the end of the day Wembenyama will always end up being a center. There's literally no scenario where I see him being a PF in the long run.

Wemby/Sochan, on paper, have all the makings of being a perfect fit for the frontcourt for the next 15 years.

PG: veteran PG (CP3?)
SF: Keldon (wouldn't be oppossed to move him for a better fit)
PF: Sochan
C: Wemby

Rocalcio
05-16-2023, 09:23 PM
Collins
Wemby

Then it gets a bit uncertain. I do think Keldon might be on the move. He's not a great fit, but...

Collins
Wemby
Johnson
Vassell
Jones

I actually think Sochan goes to the bench right now. But Johnson's a sticking point.

There is no way Sochan isn’t in the starting lineup in my opinion

baseline bum
05-16-2023, 09:23 PM
Wonder if the Spurs will go try to re-sign Poetl after all the talk about how they envisioned him playing next to Victor.

John B
05-16-2023, 09:37 PM
SF: Johnson

I think Vassell will get a lot of ballhandling this off-season to take the pressure off Sochan.

Sochan needs to be in the starting lineup, to take Wemby off the paint banging bodies defensively while he gets NBA strong.

I doubt they'll look to bring in an All-Star FA until Wemby gets ready. It's too early. But I wouldn't be against bringing in a veteran PG to help set plays. George Hill??

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 09:39 PM
I think we will still collect some more draft assets. We have around 50 million in cap space. McDermott and Birch expiring and Graham is basically an expiring too since his salary after next season is only partially guaranteed. Brian Wright will be flipping assets like he been doing

slick'81
05-16-2023, 09:41 PM
That sochan/wemby frontcourt:clap

John B
05-16-2023, 10:05 PM
I think we will still collect some more draft assets. We have around 50 million in cap space. McDermott and Birch expiring and Graham is basically an expiring too since his salary after next season is only partially guaranteed. Brian Wright will be flipping assets like he been doing

It's not popular opinion, but I would like to see McDermott back. He is a very streaky player who could put in 20 pts a game, and should help the bench hold serve. Nah, not for SRP's. Graham can go.

I like for them to bring a George Hill, a veteran PG who knows the Spurs system, to help set plays.

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 10:07 PM
It's gonna be easy pickins getting lobs to Wemby.

JPB
05-16-2023, 10:08 PM
I also have a hard time seeing Sochan not in the S5.

Degoat
05-16-2023, 10:08 PM
Might be unrealistic long term but pop played Sochan at PG some this year

PG- Sochan
SG- Vassell
SF- Keldon
PF- Wemby
C- Collins

itzsoweezee
05-16-2023, 10:11 PM
I don't know how his career will start, but at the end of the day Wembenyama will always end up being a center. There's literally no scenario where I see him being a PF in the long run.

Wemby/Sochan, on paper, have all the makings of being a perfect fit for the frontcourt for the next 15 years.

PG: veteran PG (CP3?)
SF: Keldon (wouldn't be oppossed to move him for a better fit)
C: Wemby

CP3 is exactly who is was thinking of. Keldon might have to go, or move to the bench.

JPB
05-16-2023, 10:11 PM
It's not popular opinion, but I would like to see McDermott back. He is a very streaky player who could put in 20 pts a game, and should help the bench hold serve. Nah, not for SRP's. Graham can go.

I like for them to bring a George Hill, a veteran PG who knows the Spurs system, to help set plays.

A vet PG would make a lot of sense with Wemby. Bring an expereinced guy who will now how to put Vic in the best conditions and mentor the young guys in the locker room.

Godam, still can't beleive we got Wemby. fuck yeah! Timvp just gotta make sure ST doesn't explode.

John B
05-16-2023, 10:17 PM
Now just waiting for LeSoft to lose tonight to make it a very special night :lol

Death In June
05-16-2023, 10:29 PM
Is it out of the realm of possibility that they pursue Fred VanVleet as an option at PG?

Seventyniner
05-16-2023, 10:46 PM
Is it out of the realm of possibility that they pursue Fred VanVleet as an option at PG?

Only if he has gotten over himself. Didn't he dis Pop in the Raptors championship parade?

I don't think that's the type of player you want to blow your cap space on. Not that he's bad, but the Spurs need a ceiling raiser more than a steady floor general right now imo.

TrueSpursFan
05-16-2023, 10:48 PM
Might be unrealistic long term but pop played Sochan at PG some this year

PG- Sochan
SG- Vassell
SF- Keldon
PF- Wemby
C- Collins
This is exactly what I imagine the staring 5 would be. Position-less basketball is the future and there’s a reason why the spurs tried Sochan at PG. Just get the ball past half court and run your sets.

spurraider21
05-16-2023, 10:51 PM
i sure hope so

we dont need fat devonte graham

raptors fans absolutely hate him as he's just a chucker

heyheymymy
05-16-2023, 11:04 PM
Jones/Graham/Wesley
Vassell/Branham
Johnson/McDermott/[Champagnie]
Wembanyama/Sochan/Mamukelashvili/[Barlow]
Zollins/Bassey

13. 2023 NBA Free Agent
14. (2023 SA #33 Pick)
15. (2023 TOR #44 Pick) / or open slot if Spurs sell the TOR pick

16. & 17. [Two-Way players in above depth chart]

18. [Two-Way] slot #3 to be filled

heyheymymy
05-16-2023, 11:07 PM
wish we could experiment with:

Vassell
Johnson
Sochan
Wembanyama
Zollins

Potential death squad but obvs has its vulnerabilities/reasons why it would not work

td4mvp2k
05-16-2023, 11:12 PM
rather have austin reeves who's a better fit and younger at better cost

heyheymymy
05-16-2023, 11:18 PM
I think:

PG: Jones
SF: Johnson

might be kinda locked in barring new personnel incoming and it is just a matter of either Zollins or Sochan off the bench:

C: Wembanyama

PF: Wembanyama
C: Zollins

or I could see them actually bringing Wembanyama off the bench at the beginning of his first season to ease him in and then it would be the classic starting bigs:

C: Zollins

Could also totally see Sochan shifting down to SF realistically. Which would push Johnson to the bench.

I think Sochan at PG is less likely, but would be crazy if Jerm unlocked ball handling enough to warrant that. Feels like that was a tank experiment and not too viable outside of extreme situationals at least for now.

But Sochan at PG would solve every problem, would not push anyone to the bench and that would be a definite death squad lineup:

Sochan
Vassell
Johnson
Wembanyama
Zollins

SPURt
05-16-2023, 11:23 PM
I can’t wait to see Sochan/Vassell/KJ/Wemby/Collins

hard pass on 38 yr old CP3. Absolutely no.

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 11:24 PM
Sochan guarding PGs will probably be okay on switches. Full games could be a problem.

BackHome
05-16-2023, 11:30 PM
The Falkers lost I am staying up late ragging on all my Laker friends- Number 1 pick and my most hated team loosing what a night it don’t get better then tonight

Philthemage
05-16-2023, 11:34 PM
I could see us getting fournier perhaps.

BackHome
05-16-2023, 11:35 PM
wish we could experiment with:

Vassell
Johnson
Sochan
Wembanyama
Zollins

Potential death squad but obvs has its vulnerabilities/reasons why it would not work

I see Pop still being a mad scientist we still need to find out where we stand with all 3 rookies from this year. So add potentially another 3 rookies and it’s not about who starts but more so playing time. And I don’t see Wemb getting a lot of minutes his first year they going to bring him along slow

TeKu
05-16-2023, 11:59 PM

This makes some sense actually, Knicks want to clear space, and could help Wemby acclimate.

Mugen
05-17-2023, 12:02 AM
i think there's little chance Keldon moves to the bench tbh. Sochan is more likely and probably the best move while Victor bulks up.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-17-2023, 12:05 AM
I see Pop still being a mad scientist we still need to find out where we stand with all 3 rookies from this year. So add potentially another 3 rookies and it’s not about who starts but more so playing time. And I don’t see Wemb getting a lot of minutes his first year they going to bring him along slow

fuk ya mad scientist pop thru december :tu

scott
05-17-2023, 12:08 AM
Wonder if the Spurs will go try to re-sign Poetl after all the talk about how they envisioned him playing next to Victor.

I think this would be hilarious, but no team would ever trade with us again (unless Jak just flat out refused to sign with TOR)

Das Texan
05-17-2023, 12:10 AM
I really would be curious if Pop does more with that Sochan as Point Guard experiment he was doing at times last year...

couchman
05-17-2023, 12:10 AM
C- Collins 6'11"
PF- Wemby 7'4"
SF - Keldon 6'5"
SG - Vassell 6'5"
PG - Sochan 6'8"

That's four players who can shoot the three so that Sochan can stir the drink

Philthemage
05-17-2023, 12:51 AM
If celts don't win, and jaylen brown ends up u happy, maybe we could trade Vassell / keldon, some future picks.

A lineup of fournier / brown / Sochan / wembanyama would be sick

Silverheart80
05-17-2023, 01:02 AM
SF: Keldon

That positionless roster design I've been advocating? This is what I'm talking about, sans the position designations. This would be my starting lineup if the season started today. Collins relieves VW from the pounding in the paint. VW becomes the most terrifying help defender ever. Devin and Jeremy are now modern point forwards. Drop the traditional short point guard from the design. Play a lineup like this and we're not just hoping to keep up with where the league is headed with big playmakers spreading the floor, sharing, cutting, and shooting threes. We're leading the charge for the next era.

offset formation
05-17-2023, 01:08 AM
Definitely don't see Wemby as a 5, so I think you're lineup is probably pretty close to what we see to start the season. Maybe Wemby at the 3 and Sochan at the 4.

Wemby/Sochan/Keldon could be a pretty nice 3 man rotation at the 3 and 4 tbh. Obviously one of them will need to come off the bench, wonder if Keldon would be willing to accept that.

Is that their small ball lineup?? lol

Rocalcio
05-17-2023, 01:43 AM
rather have austin reeves who's a better fit and younger at better cost
He isn’t a PG

Rocalcio
05-17-2023, 01:45 AM
Not a PG either

EricB
05-17-2023, 01:45 AM
Collins
wemby
sochan
vassell
point guard

bring Keldon off the bench,

Spursfanfromafar
05-17-2023, 01:54 AM
Its a make or miss league. Jones and Sochan aren't consistent three point shooters. Playing them together with a streaky Johnson and inconsistent-from-3 Wemby and Collins would be difficult in games which are shoot-outs.

Ideal five - Jones, Vassell, Sochan, Wemby, Collins and Keldon doing sixth man duties marauding through second units.

If Sochan can improve his handle and playmaking skills even more - this can be a possible death lineup - Sochan, Vassell, Johnson, Wemby & Collins and which can close with Jones, Vassell, Johnson, Sochan and Wemby.

The greatest impact of Wemby will be at the defensive end, methinks. But the Spurs need to get at least two players who can fill in at PG and at Center. BW can try prising out Josh Hart from the Knicks who is a very good rebounding and defensive-minded guard. And if the Spurs can bring back Poeltl, that will be gold.

td4mvp2k
05-17-2023, 02:13 AM
He isn’t a PG
not true he's able to play both guard positions and would be valuable in a spurs system

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 02:23 AM
bringing back yak would be the most hilarious/evil thing the spurs could do lmao

rascal
05-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Its a make or miss league. Jones and Sochan aren't consistent three point shooters. Playing them together with a streaky Johnson and inconsistent-from-3 Wemby and Collins would be difficult in games which are shoot-outs.

Ideal five - Jones, Vassell, Sochan, Wemby, Collins and Keldon doing sixth man duties marauding through second units.

If Sochan can improve his handle and playmaking skills even more - this can be a possible death lineup - Sochan, Vassell, Johnson, Wemby & Collins and which can close with Jones, Vassell, Johnson, Sochan and Wemby.

The greatest impact of Wemby will be at the defensive end, methinks. But the Spurs need to get at least two players who can fill in at PG and at Center. BW can try prising out Josh Hart from the Knicks who is a very good rebounding and defensive-minded guard. And if the Spurs can bring back Poeltl, that will be gold.

I hope the Spurs aren't finished this year trying to improve the current roster so no I don't want that to be the starting lineup.

rascal
05-17-2023, 08:41 AM
This is exactly what I imagine the staring 5 would be. Position-less basketball is the future and there’s a reason why the spurs tried Sochan at PG. Just get the ball past half court and run your sets.

No, Spurs need a true pg who can run a fast break and get the ball out quickly for transition baskets.

No all the time walk the ball up play.

rascal
05-17-2023, 08:45 AM
If celts don't win, and jaylen brown ends up u happy, maybe we could trade Vassell / keldon, some future picks.

Celtics are winning the title this year. Brown is going no where.

rascal
05-17-2023, 08:45 AM
bringing back yak would be the most hilarious/evil thing the spurs could do lmao

Toronto will be resigning him.

couchman
05-17-2023, 08:58 AM
Maybe we just keep Wemby at the 4 his whole career and he becomes the best power forward of all time ����

TrueSpursFan
05-17-2023, 09:19 AM
No, Spurs need a true pg who can run a fast break and get the ball out quickly for transition baskets.

No all the time walk the ball up play.

don’t need a true PG for that. I think all starting 5 minus collins can collective run a fast break successfully. They are young and fast and can push it and score.

Drom John
05-17-2023, 10:42 AM
Depending on Jones resigning, I very much see Sochan as a bench player, in the Ginobili, 6-man of the year mold. Jeremy has his head on straight.

stnick2261
05-17-2023, 11:03 AM
Maybe we just keep Wemby at the 4 his whole career and he becomes the best power forward of all time ����

Be weird for us to (someday) be able to say "Was Duncan the best PF ever in the NBA? Duncan wasn't even the best PF for the Spurs"

rascal
05-17-2023, 03:36 PM
You can't just add Wemby to this crappy roster(2nd worst record in the league) and say we are set.

There still needs to be a shakeup to the roster to add more talent and athleticism.

Playing Sochan at pg because you don't have a good pg is foolish. He's not a pg and should not be considered a starting option there.

The roster does not fit as it is now and the front office needs to figure it out. Everyone should be on the trade block including fan favorite Sochan since the spurs now have their future franchise PF.

rascal
05-17-2023, 03:45 PM
don’t need a true PG for that. I think all starting 5 minus collins can collective run a fast break successfully. They are young and fast and can push it and score.

Not true. Sochan does not have pg skills, not quick enough or has the dribbling skills to run a team as a pg.

He'll be playing out of his natural position if you try to play him at pg.

TrueSpursFan
05-17-2023, 11:32 PM
Not true. Sochan does not have pg skills, not quick enough or has the dribbling skills to run a team as a pg.

He'll be playing out of his natural position if you try to play him at pg.

there’s a reason why the spurs tried him at PG this past season and I don’t believe he failed at all. In fact, I think he did pretty good for a player that is not known to be a PG. we will see though

rascal
05-17-2023, 11:40 PM
there’s a reason why the spurs tried him at PG this past season and I don’t believe he failed at all. In fact, I think he did pretty good for a player that is not known to be a PG. we will see though

Spurs were tanking so it didn't matter if they played him there.

They are already looking to add another pg by some of the players they are bringing in for workouts.

TrueSpursFan
05-17-2023, 11:49 PM
Spurs were tanking so it didn't matter if they played him there.

They are already looking to add another pg by some of the players they are bringing in for workouts.

well we would need to move up for that so I hope we don’t overpay but let’s hope it’s all for the better. I trusted the tank and spurs didn’t disappoint

Das Texan
05-18-2023, 12:07 AM
I'll find it difficult to see the Spurs adding some random players who dont have the faintest concept of defense given Popovich's comments at the end of last season, knowing who Popovich is, and now knowing what the Spurs are getting in Wemby.

If anything, a more nuanced attention to defensive detail with who plays may be more important than its been in years.

kht
05-18-2023, 02:42 AM
Poetl is way too old. He'd be in the last year of his contract by the time Wemby and the Spurs are ready to compete for a title.

mudyez
05-20-2023, 04:01 PM
The main question obviously is what to do with Sohan?

He is the perfect fit next to Wemby, but is it as C/PF combo or with Wemby being the PF while Sohan is more of a Pointforward what even would make it possible to not have a real PG at all?

With just the current players (and it's probably smart to be patient and dont't do a big splash as of now) I'd go with a starting5 of:

Zollins
Wemby
KJ
Vassel
Tre

...with Sohan coming in for Tre if we need size and for Zollins if we are fine. I also see Sohan with more minutes than Zollins or Tre even while coming of the bench. He seems to be a guy that will be ok with it and long term he probably will become a starter when either Zollins changes his role or leaves or we go positionless with him becoming a defacto pointsomething.

KobesAchilles
05-20-2023, 04:24 PM
Are we talking about the Austin Spurs? Bc Wemby has to pay his dues first. He needs half a season in the GL to learn the system. In January, if he puts in the work, follows directions well, gets over himself a bit, then we can talk about spot up minutes for him in the main roster.

That being said, He is a Center on offense and a PF on defense. Sochan is SF now with Collins being the reverse of Wemby. When you have a generational talent you build around him not the other way around. Sochan needs to learn how to either handle the ball or shoot or he’s gone. KJ needs to play defense or he’s gone. Vassell better be healthy this year

I would sign CP3 and then have Vassell, Sochan, and Collins play alongside Wemby. KJ off the bench or trade

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 04:39 PM
The main question obviously is what to do with Sohan?

He is the perfect fit next to Wemby, but is it as C/PF combo or with Wemby being the PF while Sohan is more of a Pointforward what even would make it possible to not have a real PG at all?

With just the current players (and it's probably smart to be patient and dont't do a big splash as of now) I'd go with a starting5 of:

Zollins
Wemby
KJ
Vassel
Tre

...with Sohan coming in for Tre if we need size and for Zollins if we are fine. I also see Sohan with more minutes than Zollins or Tre even while coming of the bench. He seems to be a guy that will be ok with it and long term he probably will become a starter when either Zollins changes his role or leaves or we go positionless with him becoming a defacto pointsomething.

I think this is the first starting lineup we'll see, too, barring any roster changes. I don't think they will move Keldon into the second unit and don't think they'll run pointguard-less.

exstatic
05-20-2023, 05:34 PM

Brown is unhappy being the second option in Boston. That’s exactly what he would be here.

KobesAchilles
05-20-2023, 05:44 PM
Brown is unhappy being the second option in Boston. That’s exactly what he would be here.
Not for a while

scott
05-20-2023, 05:49 PM
Jaylen Brown seems like the perfect fit, but seems far less likely than even 14%.

BackHome
05-20-2023, 07:14 PM
Yeah Brown ain't coming here as far as who starts not a big deal it's more who get the minutes and as far as Sochan he good for our rebuild. My only question is what are the Spurs going to want him to do as far as maybe playing SF more or playing C a little bit more - he is good enough to play C when we going small.

Philthemage
05-20-2023, 07:35 PM

I think he's unhappy because he feels unappreciated, not because he's the second option. They dangled him as trade bait in trying to get Durant last summer despite him being just as important as Tatum in getting them to the finals.

That won't happen here as we've always been more than loyal to our stars.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-21-2023, 06:31 AM
Are we talking about the Austin Spurs? Bc Wemby has to pay his dues first. He needs half a season in the GL to learn the system. In January, if he puts in the work, follows directions well, gets over himself a bit, then we can talk about spot up minutes for him in the main roster.

That being said, He is a Center on offense and a PF on defense. Sochan is SF now with Collins being the reverse of Wemby. When you have a generational talent you build around him not the other way around. Sochan needs to learn how to either handle the ball or shoot or he’s gone. KJ needs to play defense or he’s gone. Vassell better be healthy this year

I would sign CP3 and then have Vassell, Sochan, and Collins play alongside Wemby. KJ off the bench or trade
Tre Jones 2023 > Chris Paul 2023