PDA

View Full Version : Should the Spurs Pull the Same Move the Texans Did?

Chinook
05-16-2023, 08:46 PM
So we know the Spurs are extremely likely to draft Wemby with the first pick. We'll take that as set.

Now the Spurs did a bunch of scouting for guys in the rest of the upper lottery, and I'm sure they have guys they had made their peace with drafting. With all of the assets they have, should the Spurs consider making an aggressive move to snag one of them? I assume they could get most picks if they were willing to go all-in, but that would be stupid in my book. But trading some future firsts and/or someone like Johnson or Vassell might make sense if they think there's a second key player on the board.

Does anyone have any sense of who such a target could be and how much a realistic trade for such a prospect would cost?

slick'81
05-16-2023, 08:47 PM
:lol

ducks
05-16-2023, 08:47 PM
Spurs should trade pop for a top 10 pick

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 08:49 PM
The only type of player they would need to bust out for us a PG.

scott
05-16-2023, 08:53 PM
Wonder if Orlando wouldn't mind being a seller of #11 if Black somehow fell or if Cason Wallace caught the Spurs eye.

Puts a lot of strain on our developmental assets, but PG is the only position that would seem to make sense on paper. #33 + CHA FRP + our next year FRP + the CHI pick?

Chinook
timvp, would you mind changing the title from Bears to Texans?

spurraider21
:lol

edit: i laughed because thread title said bears implying trading out of the #1 pick

chinook has clarified saying he wants us to move UP for another high pick in addition to that #1 overall pick. thats quite interesting. we have a lot of future 1's to play with

Rosewood
Lets pull a Texans and trade for the #2 as well. What would it take to get Scoot :lol

cjw
05-16-2023, 08:54 PM
I could see them trading into the back half of the first round if they really covet someone. And you do have to remember unlike football where you need to buildout a lot more starters plus depth, there are a limited number of guys you can keep around long term. You have to decide if guys are must keeps or nice to haves. Given future draft assets, I’m totally fine trading current guys on roster plus their early second to move up. And if they really want to move up, it probably takes a couple of future firsts plus a Vassell or Johnson type.

The Spurs OWN firsts just became a lot less valuable though. Good thing they have a few pick swaps!

cd98
05-16-2023, 08:55 PM
Keep generational talent. The Spurs have enough draft picks and assets to get any player of need through a trade. People give up those assets for the chance to draft Wemby. Not a single player I’d trade him for given his age and skill set.

Millennial_Messiah
No...

Draft your 7'3" power forward, suck again next year, get another star even if he's not Wemby level good next year.

Build like the OKC Thunder built from 2007 to 2009. Get a bona fide All Star three years in a row. #BuiltNotBought

And don't be an idiot like Sam Presti and trade away one of your three young stars immediately after making the f**king NBA Finals, just because you didn't want to pay him AND Kendrick f**king Perkins.

That is all.

buttsR4rebounding
So we know the Spurs are extremely likely to draft Wemby with the first pick. We'll take that as set.

Now the Spurs did a bunch of scouting for guys in the rest of the upper lottery, and I'm sure they have guys they had made their peace with drafting. With all of the assets they have, should the Spurs consider making an aggressive move to snag one of them? I assume they could get most picks if they were willing to go all-in, but that would be stupid in my book. But trading some future firsts and/or someone like Johnson or Vassell might make sense if they think there's a second key player on the board.

Does anyone have any sense of who such a target could be and how much a realistic trade for such a prospect would cost?

I posted months ago my dream scenario was Spurs 1 Hornets 2. Since the Hornets aren’t likely to draft Scoot I’d test the waters with KJ plus our 24 pick plus Charlotte’s own pick plus another non- Atlanta future 1st. Depends how in love they are with BM.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 09:02 PM
hell nah. They should move up in the late first round with their high 2nd rounder and those other 7 2nds that we got. Adding top draft talent to a playoff team down the line will be super valuable, especially when you don't have much cap space. I'm not trading future firsts for another pick in this draft.

Mugen
05-16-2023, 09:03 PM
If they believe in Amen, then go for it. Realistic chance he falls out of the top 5 with the teams slotted to pick there. I can only see Houston being interested tbh.

mo7888
05-16-2023, 09:07 PM

I agree with Butts about testing the water with Charlotte, but I seriously doubt either team goes for that. Rascal has proposed in the past moving Toronto's pick next year for Utah's 16th pick this year. I wasn't in favor of that bit, in light of today's lottery blessings, I might consider it. I also think 8-11 could be had for various packages... Basically, there's alot to sort out there and it's time for this FO to put in the work....

Seventyniner
05-16-2023, 09:08 PM
I would just call all the scouting the Spurs did due diligence. You can't fully prepare for the draft in only 5 weeks.

If the price is right and the Spurs really love a player in the 2-7 range, sure why not. But the scouting on those other players is a sunk cost now.

spurraider21
05-16-2023, 09:13 PM
okc had to trade 3 firsts to get the #11 pick and ousmane dieng last year. would be pretty pricey to hop into the top 10

Robz4000
05-16-2023, 09:13 PM
Nah. Let the cards fall where they will this season and figure out what they have with Wemby. We still don't know how his body will hold up in the NBA or what position will suit him best. Next season start cashing in their assets to put talent around him (unless something unforseen comes along like Doncic).

CGD
05-16-2023, 09:19 PM
I posted months ago my dream scenario was Spurs 1 Hornets 2. Since the Hornets aren’t likely to draft Scoot I’d test the waters with KJ plus our 24 pick plus Charlotte’s own pick plus another non- Atlanta future 1st. Depends how in love they are with BM.

Agree with this. Even if they take Miller at 2, which seems more likely now, I’d also tests Portland’s resolve at 3. Are they true to Dame, or are they gonna take Scoot with plan to move Dame later?

If they’re serious about keeping Dame I’d build offer a package around Keldon and 2 FRPs.

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 09:19 PM
okc had to trade 3 firsts to get the #11 pick and ousmane dieng last year. would be pretty pricey to hop into the top 10

Yeah, the price would be exorbitant.

CGD
05-16-2023, 09:22 PM

Absolutely, in fact I think it’s malpractice of them not to kick the tires in this way. The gap is obviously PG and outside of Scoot I have no clue whether this draft is deep enough at that position, but if they do it’s worth the try

JPB
05-16-2023, 09:23 PM
Trade to try and get Bilal so he can join his french fella and teammate Wemby, then both can adapt faster and better. They got their star, now they can take a flyer on Coulibaly who has a lot of upside.

CGD
05-16-2023, 09:24 PM

Yeah, but the protections on those were shitty as hell. I think one was like top-18. None were better than 15th pick.

CGD
05-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Trade to try and get Bilal so he can join his french fella and teammate Wemby, then both can adapt faster and better. They got their star, now they can take a flyer on Coulibaly who has a lot of upside.

Bilal may be there at 32

Chinook
05-16-2023, 09:28 PM

They traded three bad firsts. It would be like the Spurs trading the Charlotte first, the Chicago first and their own heavily protected first. That was a low price facilitated by New York not wanting to keep the pick.

I would fully expect one of Johnson or Vassell to be in the deal.

td4mvp2k
05-16-2023, 09:30 PM
if they do trade up it would be for someone who fell in mid to late teens imo

Robz4000
05-16-2023, 09:31 PM
They traded three bad firsts. It would be like the Spurs trading the Charlotte first, the Chicago first and their own heavily protected first. That was a low price facilitated by New York not wanting to keep the pick.

I would fully expect one of Johnson or Vassell to be in the deal.

Wouldn't include Vassell in a trade at this point due to his potential fit with Wemby tbh.

JPB
05-16-2023, 09:34 PM
Bilal may be there at 32

Allow me to have a lot of doubts about it. I have him in the 20s and potentially higher.

mo7888
05-16-2023, 09:39 PM
Allow me to have a lot of doubts about it. I have him in the 20s and potentially higher.

I've got him at 18 myself, but most mocks I have seen lately have him in the 30's..

Atl Spur
05-16-2023, 09:42 PM
We don’t need to blow any assets…..enjoy the W boys & girls until the FA period.

Chinook
05-16-2023, 09:43 PM
Wouldn't include Vassell in a trade at this point due to his potential fit with Wemby tbh.

I have Vassell as third on my list of untouchable assets behind the pick and Sochan. I wouldn't WANT to trade him. But if the Spurs believe Branham is the starting two-guard and think Keldon's a keeper, there's room for a trade.

A person on RGM said Keldon and a first for 7. Depending on what that first is, that could be an example of how the Spurs could pick a guy they were settling on while also having Wemby on the roster. I have no idea who it would be, but I could definitely believe someone drafted after sixth-overall will be better than Keldon is. Maybe multiple players. Whether PATFO thinks that is another matter.

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 09:46 PM
Too bad Portland moved up. They were looking to possibly move for a veteran.

Joseph Kony
05-16-2023, 09:46 PM
If Scoot falls to #3 and Portland is still pussyfooting about trading Lillard, I'd give up a nice combo of any players/assets besides Wemby/Sochan/Vassell. Scoot/Wemby would be a sick duo for years to come

mo7888
05-16-2023, 09:56 PM
Conventional wisdom says we need a PG, but I dont see one outside of Scoot that fits the bill now...if I squint I might could see Wallace as that guy. If he falls enough then another option might be Nick Smith jr... has enough upside to justify going after.. I wouldn’t limit myself to just PG's though... Gradey Dick would be a nice fit for years to come...

intlspurshk
05-16-2023, 09:59 PM
Trade whoever in the current team and picks to get one of the Thompson twins, then get a tough center to grab rebounds and fill other spots with shooters

Russ
05-16-2023, 10:03 PM
Do not mention the Spurs and the (so-called) Texans in the same sentence.

The end.

KobesAchilles
05-16-2023, 10:03 PM
Nope. There’s zero point to it when we have so much draft capital in the future. Also we could use that draft capital to sign a future player. Spurs sign FFV would be better than drafting Scoot. We need shooters at this point. It will be interesting though bc what if Portland does draft Scoot? Do we trade for Dame? He would want to go to a contender but none of them have any picks. Pho, LAL, LAC, Phil, Mil, have no picks. Idk about Miami. But I believe we should use the picks to get a vet. You gotta figure Washington won’t want Beal.

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 10:04 PM
I'm gonna stick with it, why not? I'd trade a couple picks for Anthony Black. I still believe greatly in him. His size helps him plug into three perimeter slots, he's an excellent perimeter defender, and he's essentially a PG. Is he available? No, probably not.

CGD
05-16-2023, 10:04 PM
I have Vassell as third on my list of untouchable assets behind the pick and Sochan. I wouldn't WANT to trade him. But if the Spurs believe Branham is the starting two-guard and think Keldon's a keeper, there's room for a trade.

A person on RGM said Keldon and a first for 7. Depending on what that first is, that could be an example of how the Spurs could pick a guy they were settling on while also having Wemby on the roster. I have no idea who it would be, but I could definitely believe someone drafted after sixth-overall will be better than Keldon is. Maybe multiple players. Whether PATFO thinks that is another matter.

Question: if they move Keldon at the draft, is it the 3.8M he was owed this past year that is used for matching salaries, or the 20M figure that starts next year once his extension starts? Seems like a big deal for any Keldon-centric dealings.

JPB
05-16-2023, 10:05 PM
I've got him at 18 myself, but most mocks I have seen lately have him in the 30's..

Yeah, strange to me. I still think he should be gone before spurs SRP. Really would like to see the spurs reaching for him.

The Truth #6
05-16-2023, 10:25 PM
I suppose if they really like Kobe Buffkin they could target him without giving up too much. Otherwise don’t see much reason unless they really want Amen or Black but feels like a bad play.

Chinook
05-16-2023, 10:27 PM
Question: if they move Keldon at the draft, is it the 3.8M he was owed this past year that is used for matching salaries, or the 20M figure that starts next year once his extension starts? Seems like a big deal for any Keldon-centric dealings.

It'd the higher of his current salary and the guaranteed salary during the next year, so it would be the $20 Million. That would make trading for him a little harder for a contender, but most teams have even ballast to move out to get it done, including if they sign the draftee and use his salary.

rascal
05-16-2023, 10:28 PM
If Scoot falls to #3 and Portland is still pussyfooting about trading Lillard, I'd give up a nice combo of any players/assets besides Wemby/Sochan/Vassell. Scoot/Wemby would be a sick duo for years to come

Portland is going to want an all star veteran back for the number 3 pick.

spurraider21
05-16-2023, 10:29 PM
Conventional wisdom says we need a PG, but I dont see one outside of Scoot that fits the bill now...if I squint I might could see Wallace as that guy. If he falls enough then another option might be Nick Smith jr... has enough upside to justify going after.. I wouldn’t limit myself to just PG's though... Gradey Dick would be a nice fit for years to come...
amen thompson...

Chinook
05-16-2023, 10:32 PM
I will defer to the general idea that the meat of the draft isn't all that great. But I do think fans might be overselling future drafts. They don't need three picks in 2025, for example, and with the Charlotte draft, they might get three in 2024 to boot. If they can get their expected consolation prize now, it might make way more sense than hoping they'll be in the position to do so later on. What if Wemby is really good and they don't have a high pick for the foreseeable future? What if those future drafts look too bad to want a bunch of picks in? I am on record for the Spurs trading up to get a mid-first anyway, and that still feels like a good idea. But they have the luxury of going a bit harder given that they already have one top prospect in their bag and don't have as much fear that they'll put themselves out of position to draft another.

Tyronn Lue
05-16-2023, 10:33 PM
You can bet the FO is all at the table even right now, discussing this. This kid needs to see a franchise scrambling to put talent around him. If he's a generational player, Spurs better not let him stagnate and get that thousand yard stare out West.

Mr. Body
05-16-2023, 10:55 PM
I will defer to the general idea that the meat of the draft isn't all that great. But I do think fans might be overselling future drafts. They don't need three picks in 2025, for example, and with the Charlotte draft, they might get three in 2024 to boot. If they can get their expected consolation prize now, it might make way more sense than hoping they'll be in the position to do so later on. What if Wemby is really good and they don't have a high pick for the foreseeable future? What if those future drafts look too bad to want a bunch of picks in? I am on record for the Spurs trading up to get a mid-first anyway, and that still feels like a good idea. But they have the luxury of going a bit harder given that they already have one top prospect in their bag and don't have as much fear that they'll put themselves out of position to draft another.

Agree. The Spurs have way too many draft picks right now. A good thing to have? Yes. But they clearly can't use all of them. The idea of consolidating and trading some was an option for the future, but the future may be much closer. IF the team sees someone available I don't doubt they could rifle off some assets to get a good young player.

RC_Drunkford
05-16-2023, 10:58 PM
I definitely want them to go after Bilal Coulibaly. Also don‘t sleep on GG Jackson. Can‘t see them trading Keldon or Vassell though

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 03:08 AM
yeah. kind of in the same way we've been talking about how the spurs need to consolidate the boatload of 2nd rounders instead of actually making all those selections, landing wemby shifts the landscape to such a degree that the same conversation probably has to be had with first rounders. do we really want to draft 8 first rounders in the next 3 years? in addition to wemby/sochan/vassell/keldon and whoever else we decide to extend/sign between zollins/tre and whatever else we do in FA these next few years?

SpursGenius
05-17-2023, 04:11 AM
Amen should be targeted. I see Miller going 2. Scoot might drop to Houston because charlotte and Portland have franchise pg. I say offer Detroit Keldonand charlottes first we have along with Chicago first we have. Both are protected so won’t be high. Detroit has Cade so Amen as a big point forward redundant. If Detroit takes Villanova or Houston kid we may have easier chance at Amen trade at 6. Amen is Spurs type. We need an electric athlete like him or Scoot on pick and Roll with Wemby.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 06:32 AM
Amen would cost a boatload and he's not going to be prepared to contribute much for a while. People are seriously undervaluing how much he'll need to get up to NBA speed from the OTE standstill. He's also going to be overrated by teams who missed the Wemby sweepstakes.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 08:47 AM
I been thinking bout this years ago: I think the Spurs should try to draft Bronny in 2024, so we can sign LeBron for cheap and he rides our coattails for a year :lol

Raven
05-17-2023, 08:56 AM
No...

Draft your 7'3" power forward, suck again next year, get another star even if he's not Wemby level good next year.

Build like the OKC Thunder built from 2007 to 2009. Get a bona fide All Star three years in a row. #BuiltNotBought

And don't be an idiot like Sam Presti and trade away one of your three young stars immediately after making the f**king NBA Finals, just because you didn't want to pay him AND Kendrick f**king Perkins.

That is all.

Pretty much this.. we do need to spend at some point before going permanently into luxury when resigning wemb. We probably have a two year window to formulate the team for the next decade. On paper, that is.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 10:12 AM
Rival executives are closely monitoring Portland, believing that this pick is potential trade bait if the Blazers try to improve the roster and compete with Damian Lillard entering the end of his prime years. (https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-lottery-spurs-victor-wembanyama-scoot-henderson-brandon-miller/) As one agent told HoopsHype following the draft lottery, “If Portland puts Lillard on the market, the entire NBA is going to stop until he’s traded.”

– via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype (https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-lottery-spurs-victor-wembanyama-scoot-henderson-brandon-miller/)

:stirpot:

Millennial_Messiah
05-17-2023, 10:15 AM
Pretty much this.. we do need to spend at some point before going permanently into luxury when resigning wemb. We probably have a two year window to formulate the team for the next decade. On paper, that is.

Build super team through the draft and maybe 1 younger mercenary who is low risk high reward like maybe Ayton who wants to play here long term and then we can just keep paying luxury tax which is fine by me because this isn't the NFL with the hard salary cap.

Ignazzz
05-17-2023, 10:43 AM
Bilal may be there at 32

32? not even at 23 maybe 15-20.
my bet is top 16

Mugen
05-17-2023, 10:45 AM
If Keldon and a first gets you in the Top 8 with a guy you like available, you do that all day tbh. I could definitely the teams at 6-9 being interested.

DesignatedT
05-17-2023, 10:47 AM
I think Anthony Black would be a perfect fit also. High character kid and adds another point/forward to the roster. If they are entertaining trading up into the top 7 that would be my choice.

mo7888
05-17-2023, 11:11 AM
32? not even at 23 maybe 15-20.
my bet is top 16

He's going to have to perform well in the individual workouts to move up that much....and he might...

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-17-2023, 11:47 AM
If Keldon and a first gets you in the Top 8 with a guy you like available, you do that all day tbh. I could definitely the teams at 6-9 being interested.

Yeah, I think if you're the Spurs you test the water to see what sort of interest there is from other teams for a draft pick trade if there's someone else on their Big Board who was a prime target should they have lost out on Wemby.

Why not? Spurs are in the driver's seat at this point. Enjoy the ride.

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 11:50 AM
I think Anthony Black would be a perfect fit also. High character kid and adds another point/forward to the roster. If they are entertaining trading up into the top 7 that would be my choice.
plus he's from "Duncanville, Texas" so really a perfect fit

then go acquire Duncan Robinson

poopbox
05-17-2023, 12:12 PM
I actually don't think the spurs will be in the market for a "point guard". Think they will run their offense through Sochan and Wemby, so I don't think they will be looking to trade anything to get one.

td4mvp2k
05-17-2023, 12:21 PM
what the spurs need now is a future elite playmaker whether thats a pg or a wing to pair with wemby and they got a few yrs to figure it out as wemby develops

Chinook
05-17-2023, 12:24 PM
For any of the scouting heads out there: How does next year's draft look? Is it worth it for the Spurs to try to slow play to take advantage of the top of that draft, or should they focus on this draft and free agency?

Ariel
05-17-2023, 12:37 PM

If the Spurs REALLY love some guy, I'm sure they can trade into the high lottery even, say they offer Orlando (they already have #11 as well) Spurs '24 unprotected + Toronto '24 + maybe one more pick, or Keldon Johnson + Toronto '24 + one more pick. If Orlando doesn't see a clean fit and you LOVE some guy there (say Ausar Thompson or Anthony Black) I'm sure they can pull it off. I'd be VERY wary of overpaying though, more often than not being vigilant and waiting for the right deal ends up the better choice than being desperate for some guy.
More realistically, a few guys I'd like:
late lottery/mid teens targets: Keyonte George (undersized and inefficient but young and very talented offensively, high upside scorer) or Kobe Bufkin (big, young, smart, all around PG who could grow into a core piece) in the late lottery (Say Toronto's pick + Charlotte's or other future pick)
Early/mid 20s targets: Dariq Whitehead (very good shooter with potential for more whose stock was hampered by injuries and role), Rayan Rupert (great defensive potential with freakish arms, can't shoot worth a lick) or Bilal Coulibaly (great athleticism and defensive potential, Wemby's pal) in the 20s (Charlotte's pick + #33 or a couple future 2nds)

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 12:44 PM
For any of the scouting heads out there: How does next year's draft look? Is it worth it for the Spurs to try to slow play to take advantage of the top of that draft, or should they focus on this draft and free agency?

Supposedly not great in top-tier talent. The rest, hard to tell. Last year was supposedly not great but it turned out pretty deep.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 12:45 PM
I don't look THAT far ahead since there are so many variables in play that can't be predicted. But supposedly there isn't a Wemby, Luka or Banchero in the pipeline for next year (these guys were known 1 year ahead). With that said, I don't see why there can't be a Sochan, an Anthony Black, these type of players that aren't supposed to be one and done yet they're super smart and well rounded, and once they're on the court at a higher level they change perception quickly and rise up the boards. For that reason I think it's foolish to dismiss a draft class that much in advance. With that said, if you can take advantage of anything right now, you do that... no sense in passing up good present opportunities for unknown future ones.

JPB
05-17-2023, 12:50 PM
No...

That is all.

It wasn't just about the money. Harden wanted his own team where he'd be te franchise, go-to guy, not riding KD or backing up Westbrook. There wasn't enough place for both Westbrook and Harden over time in that OKC team, on the court and in their egos, as Harden's rest of career clearly showed. There's nothing Presti could have done, publicly Harden was saying all the right words but he wanted out also for a bigger market in Houston.

mo7888
05-17-2023, 01:31 PM

Not that strong at the top... picks for 24 are the ones to move in trade..

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 01:34 PM
It wasn't just about the money. Harden wanted his own team where he'd be te franchise, go-to guy, not riding KD or backing up Westbrook. There wasn't enough place for both Westbrook and Harden over time in that OKC team, on the court and in their egos, as Harden's rest of career clearly showed. There's nothing Presti could have done, publicly Harden was saying all the right words but he wanted out also for a bigger market in Houston.
maybe that was part of it, but at the time all the talk and reporting was that harden and OKC just couldnt agree on money. they were something like 4-6 mil per year apart in negotiations. meanwhile OKC had recently given Perkins a contract for 5/40 lmao

buttsR4rebounding
05-17-2023, 01:35 PM
I don't look THAT far ahead since there are so many variables in play that can't be predicted. But supposedly there isn't a Wemby, Luka or Banchero in the pipeline for next year (these guys were known 1 year ahead). With that said, I don't see why there can't be a Sochan, an Anthony Black, these type of players that aren't supposed to be one and done yet they're super smart and well rounded, and once they're on the court at a higher level they change perception quickly and rise up the boards. For that reason I think it's foolish to dismiss a draft class that much in advance. With that said, if you can take advantage of anything right now, you do that... no sense in passing up good present opportunities for unknown future ones.

One player in next year's class that would be sweet to draft is Bronny James. Right now he's projected to go in the 20s. It would be sooooo coooool to have LeBron force his way out of LA to come to SA to play with his son. Fuck over the Lakers and let LBJ play point guard a couple of years. We have 3 picks next year. It'd be worth burning one even whether or not Jr. is worth a pick.

Ignazzz
05-17-2023, 01:39 PM
He's going to have to perform well in the individual workouts to move up that much....and he might...

See updated mocks now:
ringer‚s 17th
tankA 25th
one mock even 15th
week ago - outside 1st R mainly

Chinook
05-17-2023, 01:48 PM
Not that strong at the top... picks for 24 are the ones to move in trade..

I'd like the Spurs go get down to two firsts and two seconds in each of 2024 and 2025. Charlotte's and Chicago's firsts seem like the obvious ones to move, along with a bouquet of seconds from 2024 and onward. I think as a package with 33 and cap space, they could get a decent first from that. It would be much harder to make such a deal next summer.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 02:04 PM
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-lottery-spurs-victor-wembanyama-scoot-henderson-brandon-miller/

PORTLAND
Rival executives are closely monitoring Portland, believing that this pick is potential trade bait if the Blazers try to improve the roster and compete with Lillard entering the end of his prime years.
HOUSTON
With Houston preparing to make an aggressive push to sign James Harden this summer, rival NBA executives believe this pick will be used as trade bait as the Rockets look to take a significant step forward next season.
DETROIT
Following the lottery, Pistons general manager Troy Weaver said Detroit would “turn over every rock” and explore trades involving the pick. Similar to Houston at No. 4, however, the value won’t be nearly as high as the top three picks.
DALLAS
Rival NBA executives expect Dallas to dangle the 10th overall pick as trade bait to improve the team in the immediate future around franchise star Luka Doncic with the hope of re-signing Kyrie Irving too.
Damn, 3, 4, 5, 10 potentially for sale! :lol Don't know whether the Spurs have what these teams are looking for (win now players), but couldn't hurt to explore options.

DPG21920
05-17-2023, 02:09 PM
Mavs seem like a fit for Keldon - young but still win now type guy that can help right away on a good deal. Might be something to it. Collins + Keldon for 10+ Javale + Bertrans

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 02:12 PM
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-lottery-spurs-victor-wembanyama-scoot-henderson-brandon-miller/

Damn, 3, 4, 5, 10 potentially for sale! :lol Don't know whether the Spurs have what these teams are looking for (win now players), but couldn't hurt to explore options.

Portland are second winners in the lotto. They'll get a lot of bidders for Scoot. But it's the Blazers and somehow they'll fudge it up.

What is Houston doing? Why the hell do they want Harden? An aging, ball-dominant player indicating by returning to H-town that he wants to just strip club it up and lounge around. Just take a swing at a Thompson. Not sure what they'd want for that pick.

Detroit might get a Thompson in their lap. If not, they're in a weird spot. Kind of a directionless team.

Dallas is positioned really well to improve themselves. Make some shrewd cheap pick-ups and find a good talent for that #10 and they're in better shape. But they haven't found cheap pick-ups in the past...

spurraider21
05-17-2023, 02:12 PM

Keldon Keldon Keldon

i think it was just yesterday i was saying im not in a rush to trade him given his contract. but wemby changes a lot lol

Ariel
05-17-2023, 02:14 PM
Keldon Keldon Keldon

i think it was just yesterday i was saying im not in a rush to trade him given his contract. but wemby changes a lot lol
They're better off with someone like Hendricks than Keldon, IMO. Luka + Kyrie + Keldon = give up 140 points every night.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 02:18 PM
Portland are second winners in the lotto. They'll get a lot of bidders for Scoot. But it's the Blazers and somehow they'll fudge it up.

What is Houston doing? Why the hell do they want Harden? An aging, ball-dominant player indicating by returning to H-town that he wants to just strip club it up and lounge around. Just take a swing at a Thompson. Not sure what they'd want for that pick.

Detroit might get a Thompson in their lap. If not, they're in a weird spot. Kind of a directionless team.

Dallas is positioned really well to improve themselves. Make some shrewd cheap pick-ups and find a good talent for that #10 and they're in better shape. But they haven't found cheap pick-ups in the past...
Portland needs to trade DAME, not Scoot. He'll be over 33 by the start of the season, and unless he plays at the All NBA level his contract is atrocious. His value will plummet with any injury or sign of decline, which is bound to happen any second. If I'm them, I keep the pick and look to move Lillard, Simons and Nurkic while they can.
Harden to Houston to me seems more like an obvious leverage move by Harden than anything else, though I don't think it's impossible, just stupid (remember him showing up fat and forcing his way to Brooklyn?)

If I'm Dallas I'd keep Hendricks if available, unless there's a great offer for already established talent to keep Luka and Kyrie content.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 02:21 PM
Keldon Keldon Keldon

Dallas is a place where Keldon would thrive. The gravity that Irving and Doncic create would open things up for him completely. Lots of drives and open shots.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 02:23 PM
Dallas is a place where Keldon would thrive. The gravity that Irving and Doncic create would open things up for him completely. Lots of drives and open shots.
On offense, absolutely. On defense... horrible fit.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 02:23 PM
On offense, absolutely. On defense... horrible fit.

Kyrie and Doncic. They're not playing defense anyway.

Mugen
05-17-2023, 02:24 PM

They'd give up 140 a night :lol

Mugen
05-17-2023, 02:25 PM
Orlando, Utah, and Dallas make a lot of sense as Keldon trade partners tbh. Make it happen, BW!

lmbebo
05-17-2023, 02:36 PM
https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1658876501264318465?s=20

Id offer up Keldon, + some other player (unsure who) Charlotte pick for 3rd pick (assuming it gets us Scoot)

mo7888
05-17-2023, 03:13 PM
I'd like the Spurs go get down to two firsts and two seconds in each of 2024 and 2025. Charlotte's and Chicago's firsts seem like the obvious ones to move, along with a bouquet of seconds from 2024 and onward. I think as a package with 33 and cap space, they could get a decent first from that. It would be much harder to make such a deal next summer.

I'm pretty much in that boat too. I think a collection of Charlotte, Chicago, 2nd's, and KJ gives us a plethora of options to move up in this draft for most any player we really covet. As for draft strengths, this draft, 25, and 26 are the one's we should target. If tbe FO really sees a fundamental piece out there they should go get it.

scott
05-17-2023, 03:30 PM

I don't know DET's team super well, but Cam seems like he'd be a fit there. Miller would have been a nice fit, but he'll be gone. Ausar probably fits better than Amen for them. How would Jarace fit for them? Seems like 3/4 is where they need help, which kind of aligns with the options at 5.

Doesn't surprise me that some of these teams already looking to bail. It's the same thing we've been talking about if we landed there. As you've been one of the more vocal people on this... this class seems kind of weak. Surely we aren't the only ones who had noticed that. Thank God the basketball gods favor us.

mo7888
05-17-2023, 03:33 PM
I don't know DET's team super well, but Cam seems like he'd be a fit there. Miller would have been a nice fit, but he'll be gone. Ausar probably fits better than Amen for them. How would Jarace fit for them? Seems like 3/4 is where they need help, which kind of aligns with the options at 5.

Doesn't surprise me that some of these teams already looking to bail. It's the same thing we've been talking about if we landed there. As you've been one of the more vocal people on this... this class seems kind of weak. Surely we aren't the only ones who had noticed that. Thank God the basketball gods favor us.

I'd think Jarace, Ausar, Hendricks, and Cam are the best fits for Detroit in that range.

scott
05-17-2023, 03:33 PM
https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1658876501264318465?s=20

Id offer up Keldon, + some other player (unsure who) Charlotte pick for 3rd pick (assuming it gets us Scoot)

If we somehow landed Wemby AND Scott that would be some Kevin Costner, GOAT-level GM'ing from Wright (at least to us amateur scouts).

With that said... I'd prefer to just get Dame for that package.

scott
05-17-2023, 03:34 PM
I'd think Jarace, Ausar, Hendricks, and Cam are the best fits for Detroit in that range.

TBH, a core of Cade, Ivey, Cam, Duren is still pretty exciting.

SA v DET Finals rematch coming at us in 2026.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 03:35 PM
TBH, a core of Cade, Ivey, Cam, Duren is still pretty exciting.

SA v DET Finals rematch coming at us in 2026.
Too much athleticism, not enough bball IQ and shooting.

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 03:36 PM

Detroit has decent pieces, but I'm not a huge believer in Cade and Ivey was a bit of a disappointment. Duren was a great pick. Not sure why they bothered with Wiseman, but he might be okay?

They should just take BPA but they're in a no man's land where that player isn't clear. Hard to see them improving a ton this offseason.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 03:37 PM
It's Cam, then Hendricks, Walker. They need wings that can shoot. But I wouldn't be surprised if they try to trade up to 2/3 for Brandon Miller.

Ariel
05-17-2023, 03:39 PM
Detroit has decent pieces, but I'm not a huge believer in Cade and Ivey was a bit of a disappointment. Duren was a great pick. Not sure why they bothered with Wiseman, but he might be okay?
Duren was very good for the spot he was taken, but unless he develops skills his impact is bigger on the highlight reels than on the court. As it stands right now I'd rather have Walker Kessler.

offset formation
05-17-2023, 03:53 PM
Bilal may be there at 32

He'll be gone by 20, at the latest. Possibly by 14 or before. I'm reading he has lots of team's attention due to his 2 way capabilities.