PDA

View Full Version : Should the Spurs consider trading back with the Charlotte for the #2 pick?

kht
05-16-2023, 11:26 PM
Charlotte already has LaMelo and would not want to drat Scott Henderson with the number 2 pick. What do you guys think about the following trade:

Spurs receive:
- #2 overall 2023 NBA pick
- mark williams
- Kai Jones
- unprotecting the 2024 1st round
- 2026 first round pick
- 2028 first round pick

hornets receive:
- #1 overall 2023 nba pick

hornets don’t want two marque point guards in scoot and melo so they are looking to move out of that number 2 spot (either forward or backwards).

Spurs can use the second overall pick for scoot and mark Williams fills the 5 spot for us. Mark williams had a very promising rookie year. Spurs load up on more draft capital.

guys like wembanyama have a history of injury problems

yao Ming - foot injuries
hasheed Thamebet - out of the league in 3 years
ralph Sampson - injuries
Chet holmgren - couldn’t even play a summer league game
ishiah Austin - morphan syndrome
KP - nice player but didn’t live up to the hype
tako falls - playing in China

cd98
05-16-2023, 11:42 PM
Assuming the Spurs make the right pick and get Wemby, I don't know if they have the assets to get the 2nd or 3rd pick in a way that it is worthwhile, but I bet they could put together a package without the number one pick that would get them one of the Thompson twins if they really are sold on them.

spurraider21
05-16-2023, 11:44 PM
i think the only scenarios where you even for the briefest of moments entertain trading this pick is a package including jokic or doncic

anything else is just trolling

we already have a backlog of incoming first round picks. doesnt make sense to sell off this pick for several more firsts

kht
05-16-2023, 11:45 PM
Assuming the Spurs make the right pick and get Wemby, I don't know if they have the assets to get the 2nd or 3rd pick in a way that it is worthwhile, but I bet they could put together a package without the number one pick that would get them one of the Thompson twins if they really are sold on them.

we would give charlotte the #1 pick in this scenario to move back

Chinook
05-16-2023, 11:46 PM
No, though obviously the Spurs taking this deal has a chance to end up the obvious right choice. The Spurs need to refuse to take any calls on the first pick, take Wemby and then try to make trades from there. Unless their guys have uncovered something really concerning, they shouldn't get caught up in trade value and just make the move for the star prospect.

And I say that as a guy who was perfectly willing to like the Spurs drafting Scoot at two.

Millennial_Messiah
05-16-2023, 11:47 PM

The Thompson twins are the next Morris twins IMO. Good role players, but, just that.

cd98
05-16-2023, 11:49 PM
The Thompson twins are not going in the top 3. Spurs could trade a current player on the roster plus one of the many future picks they have for a number 4-5 pick easily. They have the assets to get another lottery player. I just think pick 2 or 3 would be too expensive. It would be a really bad idea not to draft Wemby unless they find a medical issue like Sam Bowie or Greg Oden.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-16-2023, 11:49 PM
Nope

picking wemby has the greatest upside of any move they could make in the past 20 years. don't just look at it. eat it.

Millennial_Messiah
05-16-2023, 11:53 PM
Nope

picking wemby has the greatest upside of any move they could make in the past 20 years. don't just look at it. eat it.

yeah, it's like do you go back and trade duncan for Keith Van Horn and a slew of other solid role players and picks because Van Horn can shoot threes and mOaR pLaYeRs = mOaR SuCCeSS?

baseline bum
05-17-2023, 12:04 AM
Nope

I'm on the verge of tears by the time we arrive at Espace since I'm positive we won't have a decent pick. But we do, and relief washes over me in an awesome wave.

scott
05-17-2023, 12:07 AM
To the OP's question: no.

NickiRasgo
05-17-2023, 12:11 AM
Spurs picking Wemby alone will spike (it already has) the tickets sale and the franchise value. More assets are tempting but in-reality it's still unknown. I rather Spurs risk it with Wemby - it's not like injuries won't happen to any players.

lennycooke
05-17-2023, 12:15 AM
Wemby, if healthy is supposed to be Kevin Durant on offense and Rudy Gobert on defense. If being the key word.

But to trade down to the Hornets for the second pick? I would consider doing it if they included Lamelo, 2nd pick and 6 future firsts. (is this even possible)?

Ditty
05-17-2023, 12:15 AM
I believe Scoot is going to be fun to watch but Wemby is just going to be a cheat code in a few years.

cd98
05-17-2023, 12:18 AM
People assume that just because he is tall that he will be injured. Shawn Bradly played 12 seasons at 7'6. Kareem was just one inch shorter and he played forever. He's also one inch shorter than Gobert who looks like he won't have any issues. Hell, fellow Frenchman Andre the Giant was 7'4 and he did wrestling for 3 decades.

Sure there are Yao Mings and Greg Odens, but people passed on Embid because of foot injuries and he's the reigning MVP.

SpursGenius
05-17-2023, 12:21 AM
Getting Amen at 4 or 5 for two future 1 and maybe even throw in keldon. Go the way of Texans in nfl. and try to get two top players in same draft. Amen is a Spurs type guy with huge upside. Scoot is not a Spurs guy but also has huge upside.

Ignazzz
05-17-2023, 12:21 AM
Charlotte already has LaMelo and would not want to drat Scott Henderson with the number 2 pick. What do you guys think about the following trade:

Spurs receive:
- mark williams
- Kai Jones
- 2026 first round pick
- 2028 first round pick

hornets receive:

hornets don’t want two marque point guards in scoot and melo so they are looking to move out of that number 2 spot (either forward or backwards).

Spurs can use the second overall pick for scoot and mark Williams fills the 5 spot for us. Mark williams had a very promising rookie year. Spurs load up on more draft capital.

yao Ming - foot injuries
ralph Sampson - injuries

great idea in computer gamę or bbmanager
back to reality and all spurs France connection
hell no

John B
05-17-2023, 12:23 AM
No!

Russ
05-17-2023, 12:32 AM
IBTL.

slick'81
05-17-2023, 01:01 AM
Nobody takes wemby but us

EricB
05-17-2023, 01:48 AM
You don’t trade what is arguably the best prospect since Lebron James.

no.

ChumpDumper
05-17-2023, 02:13 AM

Spurs receive:
- mark williams
- Kai Jones
- 2026 first round pick
- 2028 first round pick

hornets receive:

yao Ming - foot injuries
ralph Sampson - injuries

N:lol

Ice009
05-17-2023, 03:25 AM
I'm going to say "no thanks" to this one.

Mal
05-17-2023, 03:30 AM
No

lebomb
05-17-2023, 05:56 AM

Spurs receive:
- mark williams
- Kai Jones
- 2026 first round pick
- 2028 first round pick

hornets receive:

yao Ming - foot injuries
ralph Sampson - injuries

:bang ....................... :flipoff

exstatic
05-17-2023, 06:08 AM

Spurs receive:
- mark williams
- Kai Jones
- 2026 first round pick
- 2028 first round pick

hornets receive:

yao Ming - foot injuries
ralph Sampson - injuries

Drink bleach

John B
05-17-2023, 06:23 AM
No! You don’t trade an opportunity to have a generational talent like Kareem, a Magic, MJ, Timmy. It’s a loser attitude to be afraid of the glory that comes with it. This differentiates a great team from the rest. Lakers will always have Jerry West, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Kobe, Shaq. The Celtics, Russell, Bird. Bulls, MJ. The Spurs, Gervin, The Admiral, Tim Duncan and now Wembanyama! You don’t trade that opportunity. Are you crazy?? :lol

mo7888
05-17-2023, 07:29 AM
No! You don’t trade an opportunity to have a generational talent like Kareem, a Magic, MJ, Timmy. It’s a loser attitude to be afraid of the glory that comes with it. This differentiates a great team from the rest. Lakers will always have Jerry West, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Kobe, Shaq. The Celtics, Russell, Bird. Bulls, MJ. The Spurs, Gervin, The Admiral, Tim Duncan and now Wembanyama! You don’t trade that opportunity. Are you crazy?? :lol

Not crazy....just trolling...

Ariel
05-17-2023, 12:12 PM

Spurs receive:
- mark williams
- Kai Jones
- 2026 first round pick
- 2028 first round pick

hornets receive:
Try this (after draft):
Mark Williams
Draft rights to #2 and #27 picks (they make them for the Spurs)
Unprotected '24, '26, '28, '30 picks
Unprotected swaps in '25, '27, '29 with any of the picks we have (they're guaranteed a first each year, just the worst of any pick the Spurs have -their own + others-).
That's 1 talented youngster + 6 picks (#2 + #27 + 4 unprotected) + 3 unprotected swaps with ANY of the picks we have. Sounds tempting on paper given Charlotte can easily fumble the ball even with Wemby. However:
1) Wemby is not only a perfect fit on the court, he's also a perfect culture fit.
2) Nowadays every mediocre player expects to be paid like a superstar, so if you get 2 borderline all stars out of the bunch, they'll be harder to keep than 1 true superstar like hopefully Wemby could be
So ultimately its quite a package but I'd pass. Probably the closest offer that would make me wonder is something like this from Orlando
Banchero + Franz Wagner + Wendell Carter + 6 + 11 + as many unprotected 1sts and swaps as possible. That's on paper a crazy package. Tough one there, but probably pass as well.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-17-2023, 12:42 PM
:rollin

kht
07-08-2023, 03:33 PM
In 5 years we will look back and wish we jump started the rebuild with a twin towers of Kai Jones + Mark Williams, one of Scoot Henderson or (one of) the Thompson twins, and the highway robbery of the Charlotte Hornets in the amount of 4 additional first round picks and 2 or more pick swaps.

Darkwaters
07-08-2023, 03:37 PM
This is just getting embarrassing. The over reaction is incredible.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

slick'81
07-08-2023, 05:22 PM
This is just getting embarrassing. The over reaction is incredible.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

just wait until the regular season carnival

exstatic
07-08-2023, 05:37 PM
In 5 years we will look back and wish we jump started the rebuild with a twin towers of Kai Jones + Mark Williams, one of Scoot Henderson or (one of) the Thompson twins, and the highway robbery of the Charlotte Hornets in the amount of 4 additional first round picks and 2 or more pick swaps.

Kai jones is a fucking scrub that was over drafted after his failure first year, and is still playing summer league for the 3rd year in a row.