PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Player Archetypes to build around Wemby with and putting him in the best position to succeed while preserving his body

Dejounte
05-17-2023, 01:40 AM
Use this link: https://2kleague.nba.com/official-archetype-info/

Wemby clearly will be a PF/C in the NBA. Him defending perimeter players full time isn’t ideal because he’ll exert so much movement on those knees & ankles and the more he moves his legs, the more it’s likely he’ll accidentally step on someone else and lead to injury. We want to minimize those risks as much as possible. Defending bigs one-on-one full-time also won’t be ideal because he lacks the strength right now.

On offense, it’s fantasy to think he’ll be bringing the ball up a lot. That’s asking a lot from our future superstar. He’ll probably be shooting a lot of 3’s on offense so we will need at minimum one guy in the middle who can be a bruiser inside, clean things up, and get offensive rebounds. Unfortunately, that doesn’t sound like Collins.

From the link I shared at the top, here’s what I think we need:

PG- Offensive Threat 1: Sharpshooting, Slashing. Wemby needs to be surrounded with as much slashers as possible so that when he is posting up, he can find guys who cut to the basket and get an easy assist. I don’t think it’s as important to get a point guard that sets up others. Think TP3 here. Tre Jones is lacking the 3 shot to be the permanent solution here and who knows how much Wesley will have improved by year 2.

SG- Shot Creator: We can’t rely on Wemby for all our points, so there needs to be someone who is versatile in his scoring here. I think Vassell can develop into that pretty well and he excels in catch and shoot 3’s. I think he’s a lock as a starter here and might be a long term solution so long as he continues developing his game. He has to improve his defense for sure though.

SF- I’m going to cheat here and choose none from the list since I don’t see the archetype I envision here. It should be a jack-of-all-trades type. The PG won’t be a pure facilitator as mentioned above, so we need a secondary one too. This player needs to be able to do it all: play tough inside because we don’t Wemby to do that full-time, handle the ball some, and be a good perimeter defender. Basically what we think Sochan is becoming already. Coincidentally, I think Keldon’s game will improve with someone like Wemby having the gravitational pull on offense. He’ll have more wide open 3’s and his slashing is tailor made to play with Wemby.

C- Paint Beast 1: Like I said above, this guy needs to be a bruiser. Someone like Kevin Looney is the most ideal to play with Wemba. Shooting 3’s is much less important now from our C. Maybe Bassey can develop into this. Someone said Poeltl, but I think he lumbers around defense too much. Not agile enough to play with Wemba.

heyheymymy
05-17-2023, 01:50 AM
Kinda wonder now with Wemby if keeping Doug McDermott might be wise

Doug is the perfect quick release roaming 3 point shooter to have with a guy like Wemby who will no doubt create extra possessions and defensive breakdowns that an opportunistic Doug can feast on. Just with offensive rebounding alone Wemby could catch opposing teams lapsing and kick out 2nd chance opportunities to a trigger shot like Doug is going to open up the game for the whole Spurs team

Not to mention Wemby drawing tons of defensive focus allows Doug to operate more freely which is dangerous with how little of a window Doug needs to get a shot off.

Even Doug running those routes as a decoy play art could open up opportunities there as well. Feel like a lot of the Doug hate was just the Spurs not being a good enough team to draw focus off Doug enough for him to get good looks.

Dejounte
05-17-2023, 01:55 AM
Kinda wonder now with Wemby if keeping Doug McDermott might be wise

Doug is the perfect quick release roaming 3 point shooter to have with a guy like Wemby who will no doubt create extra possessions and defensive breakdowns that an opportunistic Doug can feast on. Just with offensive rebounding alone Wemby could catch opposing teams lapsing and kick out 2nd chance opportunities to a trigger shot like Doug is going to open up the game for the whole Spurs team

Not to mention Wemby drawing tons of defensive focus allows Doug to operate more freely which is dangerous with how little of a window Doug needs to get a shot off.

Even Doug running those routes as a decoy play art could open up opportunities there as well. Feel like a lot of the Doug hate was just the Spurs not being a good enough team to draw focus off Doug enough for him to get good looks.

Yep, this is what I’ve always said— top tier guys elevate everyone else around them. I expect next year’s team to be contending for a play-in spot at the very minimum. I think moves will be made this offseason for win-now guys, and free agents will come flocking to the Spurs in the coming seasons ESPECIALLY with the new CBA changes.

heyheymymy
05-17-2023, 02:02 AM
Thinking back to beating the full strength Nuggets towards the end of this season like, these guys were deliberately tanking and still had some marquee wins. Are the Spurs core guys subtly better than they may have led the fans to believe in the name of tanking for Wemby?

Play-In is a very reasonable expectation.

EricB
05-17-2023, 02:14 AM
If Wemby is the defender you see on YouTube, you’re back to the dynastic days were you can get away with a McDermott, because guys like Sochan, and Wemby can help with the slack. Similar to Brent Barry etc

Dejounte
05-17-2023, 02:26 AM
https://youtu.be/8Yv1R4gwjKQ

Around 2:23:00 of this video are all of Wemby’s successful (and unsuccessful) closeouts. I downright cringed at some of the ugly ones where he falls over from trying to catch the dude slashing to the basket. So dangerous for his legs. At one point he fell and then checked if his legs were okay. I don’t want this dude doing this shit too much.

intlspurshk
05-17-2023, 02:55 AM
He should mock KD on how to survive in NBA