PDA

View Full Version : Let's put a different twist on the Spurs Big Board

mo7888
05-17-2023, 09:30 AM
#1 is settled and many of us had a BB in place not believing we were going to strike Gold last night. Now that has been settled, so if we do decide to trade up into the first round, who are players you'd want that you think would be good short or long term fits next to Wembanyama?

In my top ten:

Scoot- short and long term fit
Walker- long term fit
Hendricks- long term fit
Gradey Dick- short and long term fit

Guys I see as to risky now in the top ten:

Amen
Ausar
Miller
Nick Smith Jr (although I'd assume the risk in the late teens)

Mr. Body
05-17-2023, 10:04 AM
The only players I have any real interest are the ones I keep nattering on about constantly. It's talked about every year, but this seems like the one where we might see real movement in the top 10. Kind of intriguing that the 2 and 3 picks aren't necessarily good fits for Scoot. Might be a bidding war and then things rumble around after that.

But the only FRs that I really want right now -- in wanting to bid for -- are

Anthony Black
Kobe Bufkin

At this point, the Black fit is so exceptional it's almost maddening that we won't be able to get him. With him, we have potentially a killer defense down the line, we have the playmaker we need to tie things together, and we have a starting lineup with a lot of size. One thing he excelled at was throwing lobs. Wemby will already feast on lobs, with Black it'll be constant.

Bufkin may also be a great get. No real weaknesses, maybe not as high a ceiling, but also a great competitor. Can handle, can shoot, can defend. Probably more available.

I'll mention elsewhere, but a guy who I fell off on recently but now am super-interested in is Trayce Jackson-Davis. He's the sort of banger you want next to Wembanyama. Smart, good passer, great rebounder, exceptional weak-side shotblocker, and his lack of a jumpshot doesn't matter so much. Those two guys wiping out drives would be immense.

cd98
05-17-2023, 10:07 AM
I could see Spurs trading some assets to get Amen Thompson to groom as the starting point guard. I'm not sure who on the roster they'd have to give up, but it would have to be one of the starters plus draft capital.

DesignatedT
05-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Black and Walker.

RC_Drunkford
05-17-2023, 10:16 AM
Rival executives are closely monitoring Portland, believing that this pick is potential trade bait if the Blazers try to improve the roster and compete with Damian Lillard entering the end of his prime years. As one agent told HoopsHype following the draft lottery, “If Portland puts Lillard on the market, the entire NBA is going to stop until he’s traded.”
– via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype

The Truth #6
05-17-2023, 10:24 AM
I mentioned Buffkin last night. Easier to get than Black. My gut feeling is they will not rush in to start making trades.

John B
05-17-2023, 10:32 AM
Anthony Black. He is projected at 10th to Dallas. I’d give Keldon for him and this year SRP’s.

mo7888
05-17-2023, 11:02 AM
The only players I have any real interest are the ones I keep nattering on about constantly. It's talked about every year, but this seems like the one where we might see real movement in the top 10. Kind of intriguing that the 2 and 3 picks aren't necessarily good fits for Scoot. Might be a bidding war and then things rumble around after that.

But the only FRs that I really want right now -- in wanting to bid for -- are

Anthony Black
Kobe Bufkin

At this point, the Black fit is so exceptional it's almost maddening that we won't be able to get him. With him, we have potentially a killer defense down the line, we have the playmaker we need to tie things together, and we have a starting lineup with a lot of size. One thing he excelled at was throwing lobs. Wemby will already feast on lobs, with Black it'll be constant.

Bufkin may also be a great get. No real weaknesses, maybe not as high a ceiling, but also a great competitor. Can handle, can shoot, can defend. Probably more available.

I'll mention elsewhere, but a guy who I fell off on recently but now am super-interested in is Trayce Jackson-Davis. He's the sort of banger you want next to Wembanyama. Smart, good passer, great rebounder, exceptional weak-side shotblocker, and his lack of a jumpshot doesn't matter so much. Those two guys wiping out drives would be immense.

I like Black better on the Spurs now than I did. My board has previously been set up without the Spurs in mind. It's just been my view of who I think the best prospects are, but now everything changes. While I would have swung for the fences on Amen at 4 or 5 I'd pass now because the bust risk is to high with a generational talent on board and I feel the same about Ausar and Miller (but for different reasons). I don't feel like we have to add PG right away, but if it's there for the taking I'd pull the trigger. I feel the same about Walker/Hendricks/Dick as well. All would be excellent long term fits next to Wembanyama. I wouldn’t say we have to add either, but if there's selling going on in their range then you have to consider it.

mo7888
05-17-2023, 04:00 PM
Looks like we interviewed Cason Wallace at the combine today.... that's a good sign..

Also interviewing Black tomorrow..