PDA

View Full Version : Popovich already has a template on how to build around Wemby, and it isn’t because of Tim

Dejounte
05-18-2023, 08:19 AM
It’s because of the 2022 Team USA Team that featured Durant. While I don’t believe Wemby is a clone of KD (he’s not as quick), he really is the closest thing.

I have no attachment to KJ, but all this talk about what his role would be is easy to answer. Every player on that Gold team believed he was critical to their success, mostly in the locker room. Keldon has experienced growth since then, so he will obviously be a better contributor on the court than that summer. But, when he did play he played off KD really well.

The Gold team also showed us what kind of big man Wemby would need: a player like Bam or Draymond.

That entire roster is a good look to see what kind of players we should be surrounding Wemby with. Obviously not in terms of talent level, but archetype.

rankingtear
05-18-2023, 08:31 AM
Jazz with Lauri is a good template.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Jazz with Lauri is a good template.

Laurie Markkenen isn't fit to carry Wemby's jock.

rankingtear
05-18-2023, 08:51 AM
Laurie Markkenen isn't fit to carry Wemby's jock.

Well it is more realistic template than the olympic team.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 09:07 AM
Well it is more realistic template than the olympic team.

So, you want to model the Spurs after a team that finished with the #9 lottery pick, rather than the gold medal Olympic team.

Spursfanfromafar
05-18-2023, 09:24 AM
From all accounts, Wemby seems a thoroughgoing professional despite being just a kid and his parents and family seem to be very positive influences. The fact that he has been facilitated into stardom, indirectly, by former NBA players like TP and Diaw is also a good indication that the Spurs will a seamless transition for him.

The Spurs still have their task cut out to find the right fits around him and the right path to enduring success. They have made a solid head start in getting Sochan, Branham and Wesley in last year's draft and retaining Johnson and Vassell to form a really good young core.

But I think they should get a couple of veterans - professionals who do a good job of mentoring the young core and doing the right things. As a team that had the worst defense in the league last season, it makes sense to me that the Spurs must get a defensive minded veteran to be added to the core and thats why I feel they should go after Josh Hart who will neither be cheap nor expensive and will not use up too much of the Spurs' cap space. He can be a backup to Jones or even start in a pinch and is a hard working player. IMO, the Spurs will do well to go after him. They can jettison Graham and Birch, if need be, to teams that need expiring contracts. And not renew Langford who is too inconsistent and doesn't seem to be a solid NBA player any longer.

Pop will be smart not to treat Wemby as the centerpiece immediately and instead ease him into a proper structure where his skills and abilities will be maximized. But for that to happen seamlessly, the Spurs cannot just rely on youth. It has to have one useful anchoring veteran and not just someone like Gorgui Dieng. Hart might be that guy, I think.

daslicer
05-18-2023, 09:29 AM
This is pretty dumb nobody really knows this kid's game well enough yet to build a team around him. There are really no comparisons you can make for him since he's a unicorn. His rookie year is going to be a feel out year for the Spurs to see what type of player he is and then after this year they can make moves to surround him with players that compliment his game.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 09:34 AM
This is pretty dumb nobody really knows this kid's game well enough yet to build a team around him. There are really no comparisons you can make for him since he's a unicorn. His rookie year is going to be a feel out year for the Spurs to see what type of player he is and then after this year they can make moves to surround him with players that compliment his game.

The Spurs have been actively scouting him for at least 4-5 years, so I think they know more than you do.

rankingtear
05-18-2023, 09:37 AM
So, you want to model the Spurs after a team that finished with the #9 lottery pick, rather than the gold medal Olympic team.

Yup. That is the players we have at the moment. That system turned Lauri into a legit all-star, his front court mates are Olynyk and Vando. What are you going to do find the next Bam before the season starts?

JeffDuncan
05-18-2023, 09:39 AM
Josh Hart is a low-usage shooting guard. He would be a lousy choice to back up the point. Pass.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 09:41 AM
Yup. That is the players we have at the moment. That system turned Lauri into a legit all-star, his front court mates are Olynyk and Vando. What are you going to do find the next Bam before the season starts?

Just to check one more time, and maybe be a little clearer. You want to model us after a LOSING team instead of a WINNING team.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 09:43 AM
Josh Hart is a low-usage shooting guard. He would be a lousy choice to back up the point. Pass.

We don't need a traditional PG. We need a PG sized dude who can shoot and defend. Did the Lakers or Bulls run a true PG? Nope. They ran guys like Paxton and Kerr and Fisher.

JeffDuncan
05-18-2023, 09:45 AM
We don't need a traditional PG. ...

Yes we do.

pad300
05-18-2023, 09:48 AM
We don't need a traditional PG. We need a PG sized dude who can shoot and defend. Did the Lakers or Bulls run a true PG? Nope. They ran guys like Paxton and Kerr and Fisher.

If we don't need a traditional PG, do we really need a PG sized dude? If that (not needing a traditional PG) is the case, wouldn't the team be better off with a SG sized dude who specializes in defending down? As an example of the archetype, Danny Green; he loved defending smaller PG's and could definitely shoot (even if he was Icy-Hot).

exstatic
05-18-2023, 09:50 AM

Wow. Glad you're not the coach or GM. I highly doubt that Wemby wants an AS roster spot over winning.

exstatic
05-18-2023, 09:51 AM
If we don't need a traditional PG, do we really need a PG sized dude? If that (not needing a traditional PG) is the case, wouldn't the team be better off with a SG sized dude who specializes in defending down? As an example of the archetype, Danny Green; he loved defending smaller PG's and could definitely shoot (even if he was Icy-Hot).

Josh Hart is 1" shorter than Danny, and 7 years younger. Not far off on the physical profile.

K...
05-18-2023, 09:52 AM
Just to check one more time, and maybe be a little clearer. You want to model us after a LOSING team instead of a WINNING team.

Utah traded away their two lower all stars and rebuilt the team. It would be fair to say they tanked for victor but overachieved. But we dont know, maybe they did want to go all out after trading two good but flawed players.

But the good news is that the PAFtO can look at both teams as well as Denver and milwaukee to see what works

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2023, 10:06 AM
Sochan, Johnson and Vassell are already great fits. You obviously want to surround Wembanyama with wings who can shoot the 3, drive into the lane and defend on the perimeter (although both Keldon and also Devin haven't really shown much on that side). Sochan as the type of point forward and energy guy fits well. You obviously want a bruiser big a la Brook Lopez so you can go big. And a 3-and-D PG who's a good point of attack defender with elite speed since we are playing a fast paced game. Wemby absolutely needs a great pick and roll partner to really tear teams up. We don't have to get all of them in year 1 though.

The Truth #6
05-18-2023, 10:16 AM
For me, I’m actually more curious to see how they build around him defensively—individually, and as a team. I think his defensive impact might come before offensive impact, though of course, that’s hard to say. But his ability to erase so many shots from him roaming in the lane may be evident early on. Anyway, with our defense being so horrible last year, I would be shocked if Pop doesn’t try to make that an emphasis this year. And so, that could be an adjustment for some players.

I think Zollins and Sochan will adjust well. Keldon and Branham might have challenges. But with Wemby they will have help.

rankingtear
05-18-2023, 10:18 AM

I mean a winning team would be nice, any team that does not involve having 10 all stars?

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 10:23 AM
From all accounts, Wemby seems a thoroughgoing professional despite being just a kid and his parents and family seem to be very positive influences. The fact that he has been facilitated into stardom, indirectly, by former NBA players like TP and Diaw is also a good indication that the Spurs will a seamless transition for him.

The Spurs still have their task cut out to find the right fits around him and the right path to enduring success. They have made a solid head start in getting Sochan, Branham and Wesley in last year's draft and retaining Johnson and Vassell to form a really good young core.

But I think they should get a couple of veterans - professionals who do a good job of mentoring the young core and doing the right things. As a team that had the worst defense in the league last season, it makes sense to me that the Spurs must get a defensive minded veteran to be added to the core and thats why I feel they should go after Josh Hart who will neither be cheap nor expensive and will not use up too much of the Spurs' cap space. He can be a backup to Jones or even start in a pinch and is a hard working player. IMO, the Spurs will do well to go after him. They can jettison Graham and Birch, if need be, to teams that need expiring contracts. And not renew Langford who is too inconsistent and doesn't seem to be a solid NBA player any longer.

Pop will be smart not to treat Wemby as the centerpiece immediately and instead ease him into a proper structure where his skills and abilities will be maximized. But for that to happen seamlessly, the Spurs cannot just rely on youth. It has to have one useful anchoring veteran and not just someone like Gorgui Dieng. Hart might be that guy, I think.

He also has guys like Mbappe in his orbit. It's an impressive group of people, super high-level, nationally prominent stars who know how to handle themselves publicly and do the work behind the scenes. As you mention, his family is also an advantage. Not only do they seem even-keeled, they've been playing basketball for two generations before him and have a number of professional athletes in their midst.

spurraider21
05-18-2023, 10:39 AM
Sure let’s just go assemble a roster with the same quality of players as the Olympic team

LeBowen
05-18-2023, 10:43 AM
He also has guys like Mbappe in his orbit. It's an impressive group of people, super high-level, nationally prominent stars who know how to handle themselves publicly and do the work behind the scenes. As you mention, his family is also an advantage. Not only do they seem even-keeled, they've been playing basketball for two generations before him and have a number of professional athletes in their midst.

A lot of people still haven't realized how ridiculously good drafting this guy will be for the Spurs from a commercial standpoint. Pelicans got a shitton of coverage in Zion's rookie season and Wemby is even more hyped than him, with entire basketball Europe watching how he develops, much like with Luka over his first few seasons.

From pretty much an irrelevant team outside of Pop as long as the mainstream media is concerned to being the most covered team outside of top contenders for the next season just because of Wemby.

I think Pop should go all in and see if Sochan can become what Simmons should've been and run it back with all the other guys playing at their best, no DNP nonsense. Considering the state of most teams in the league, it's only going to be a matter of time before some disgruntled superstar becomes an easy target for the Spurs.

I wouldn't mind signing a couple of veterans, can't have a roster full of kids. RC_Drunkford already mentioned Lopez and I actually think throwing something like 40/2 at him wouldn't be the worst thing. Perfect fit with our roster and a great leadership presence.

rankingtear
05-18-2023, 10:48 AM
Wow. Glad you're not the coach or GM. I highly doubt that Wemby wants an AS roster spot over winning.

I am glad you are not either. What is team USA model? surround KD with the best US born players in the league. We should do that with Wemby too! No shit.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-18-2023, 11:00 AM
defend on the perimeter (although both Keldon and also Devin haven't really shown much on that side).
did you miss Devin's first two seasons?

DAF86
05-18-2023, 11:05 AM
It’s because of the 2022 Team USA Team that featured Durant. While I don’t believe Wemby is a clone of KD (he’s not as quick), he really is the closest thing.

I have no attachment to KJ, but all this talk about what his role would be is easy to answer. Every player on that Gold team believed he was critical to their success, mostly in the locker room. Keldon has experienced growth since then, so he will obviously be a better contributor on the court than that summer. But, when he did play he played off KD really well.

The Gold team also showed us what kind of big man Wemby would need: a player like Bam or Draymond.

That entire roster is a good look to see what kind of players we should be surrounding Wemby with. Obviously not in terms of talent level, but archetype.

That's literally Sochan. That's why I don't get the play Sochan at PG idea.

I understand the theory behind not wanting Wemby to start his career banging bodies with the likes of Jokic and Embiid, but the answer isn't playing a center alongside him. The answer is getting these rugged forwards that can somewhat keep up with these all-star centers while having Wemby lurk as the help defender. Look at what the Lakers did with Hachimura and Davis against Jokic in the 4th quarter of game 1 of the WCF.

John B
05-18-2023, 11:13 AM
In 2025 on his 3rd year, will have big names in FA like Jrue, Jamal Murray (I don’t think he’s leaving Jokic though), Paul George, Myles Turner, OG, Lauri, Derrick White… with all the assets and FRP’s, huge caps. I think the Spurs will have plenty of moves to make to surround Wemby with whatever player(s) they see fit. Myles Turner will be 29. I think he’s a great big man to pair with him. There’s a podcast where they discussed Doncic could force a trade. Well Spurs have plenty of FRP’s and assets to accommodate. But I rather Spurs wait and see what Sochan, Malaki and Blake can develop into in the next three years as a facilitator.

But a lot of this will be patience. The Spurs will be patient and diligent. Wemby cannot be in a better organization. I know he mentioned that he wants to win rings asap. I’m sure TP and Bobo will be on his ears advising him to be patient. The right time will come. And the Spurs are the best in what they do.

The Truth #6
05-18-2023, 11:50 AM

I understand the theory behind not wanting Wemby to start his career banging bodies with the likes of Jokic and Embiid, but the answer isn't playing a center alongside him. The answer is getting these rugged forwards that can somewhat keep up with these all-star centers while having Wemby lurk as the help defender. Look at what the Lakers did with Hachimura and Davis against Jokic in the 4th quarter of game 1 of the WCF.

But if Wemby isn’t guarding centers, then isn’t that the same as just calling him a power forward, and getting a center to guard the centers?

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 12:00 PM
A lot of people still haven't realized how ridiculously good drafting this guy will be for the Spurs from a commercial standpoint. Pelicans got a shitton of coverage in Zion's rookie season and Wemby is even more hyped than him, with entire basketball Europe watching how he develops, much like with Luka over his first few seasons.

From pretty much an irrelevant team outside of Pop as long as the mainstream media is concerned to being the most covered team outside of top contenders for the next season just because of Wemby.

Absolutely. People just like to watch Wembanyama play. He's a charismatic player, if you could put it that way. He's just not somebody we've seen in terms of body and talent, and then he has a natural flair to his game.

And then France is verging on sizable basketball growth. A lot of players coming out who were inspired by Parker and Diaw's prominence.

Pop and the franchise liked keeping things quiet, and they'll probably succeed in some regard. But Wembanyama is different.

JPB
05-18-2023, 12:09 PM

Off topic but since this is an highly educated forum, I'm sure you know Fisher never played for those bulls. B.J Amstrong would have done it.

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2023, 12:12 PM
did you miss Devin's first two seasons?

Devin is a good help defender, but his man to man defense was terrible last year

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2023, 12:16 PM

they said on KENS5 that the Spurs worth just increased by half a billion by drafting Wembanyama

exstatic
05-18-2023, 12:18 PM
Of topic but for the sake of it, and since this is an highly educated forum, I'm sure you know Fisher never played for those bulls. B.J Amstrong would have done it.

Reading is fundamental. I know very well who Derek Fisher played for, and referenced his team in my post. Phil like to have wings (MJ, Pip, Kobe) run his offense, no matter where he was.

DAF86
05-18-2023, 12:59 PM
But if Wemby isn’t guarding centers, then isn’t that the same as just calling him a power forward, and getting a center to guard the centers?

No, because on offense it isn't the same sharing the frontcourt with a guy like Sochan than with a guy like Poeltl, or any other center.

Again, watch the Nuggets-Lakers series. Neither Davis nor Jokic will be guarding each other much, but there's no doubt both are the centers of their respective teams.

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2023, 01:25 PM
you can easily play Wembanyama with a real C like Poeltl or Lopez. There won't be any easy baskets had near the rim and you would dominate teams on the glass on both ends. As the Spurs you definitely want to be able to do both: Go big and go small with Wembanyama playing the 4 and the 5. That will make it really hard for teams to match up with you.

R. DeMurre
05-18-2023, 01:33 PM
I think Wembanyama as a defensive SF is a worthy experiment, as it keeps him more it the midrange area and lets him be a defensive rover, as opposed to a C trying to body up thicker bodies in the paint. The combination of chase down blocks/alterations and three point line blocks/alterations could be devastating to opposing offenses.

TD 21
05-18-2023, 03:22 PM

I don't know what's dumber, the notion that Sochan can be a PG (he looks like Gordon, who has good balls skills for a PF, but that's as far as it goes) or that they need to splurge on a traditional starting C when they're about to land a projected all time one in the making and already lack shooting.

They have the ideal front court setup, with Collins, a malleable C who'll pave the way for an amorphous pairing that'll allow Wembanyama to be utilized in virtually every play type. Good enough to start, not good enough to quibble with not exceeding mid 20s mpg and often not closing (Sochan).

Bassey and Mamukelashvili are fine as fourth and fifth bigs, who can also limit the amount of exposure Wembanyama has to have guarding C's, while the latter can mimic Collins' skillset on offense.

scott
05-18-2023, 03:51 PM

I like the Hart idea. I also like vets like Ibaka and Iguodala on one-year deals to provide that veteran leadership and mentorship without needing many minutes, though I'm not sure how interested they would be in playing that role for a team like ours.

John B
05-18-2023, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to Poeltl coming back as defensive big. But how much do you pay the guy?

But I guess Pop already said Collins is the C and he’d be eating his words. I like Collins but I would like a defensive big in the middle. There I already call Poeltl “defensive.”

The Truth #6
05-18-2023, 04:04 PM
Yak shrinks from top competition. I like the guy and he has great defensive skills but his lack of shooting disinterests me. He never worked on it. I’d rather not go backwards.

offset formation
05-18-2023, 04:14 PM

Good post.

John B
05-18-2023, 04:54 PM
Yak shrinks from top competition. I like the guy and he has great defensive skills but his lack of shooting disinterests me. He never worked on it. I’d rather not go backwards.

Myles Turner will be UFA in 2025, Wemby’s 3rd year. In the meantime they can work with Barlow, Bassey and whoever project big they can get.

I think the Spurs has learned a lot from DRob and Timmy’s careers, and the mistakes with Kawhi’s, load management, the type of personnel needed to surround our new franchise player. I think the Spurs are even better now if ever, and should know better to maximize the competitive years that we can get from Wemby. Not signing Luis Scola was a big IF for me, and maybe robbed Timmy of 1-2 rings. I know PATFO will be all-in on Wemby this time. It will be hard to top Timmy’s 5 rings. Who will be Wemby’s big 3? Surely the unselfishness of the Big 3 played a big part in keeping the gang together, having familiar faces year after year. Do we have the same unselfish players? Should Pop adjust his old-style of coaching. These Gen Z could be off reality. There’s Primo sexual immaturity, Dejounte instagram-social media craze, and Ja who I don’t know what he’s doing. Players are getting younger and younger, they spend more time with gadgets, Devin Booker playing Call of Duty. Coach Pop might need a new approach.

RC_Drunkford
05-18-2023, 04:57 PM
Draft Bronny and sign LeBron

CGD
05-18-2023, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to Poeltl coming back as defensive big. But how much do you pay the guy?

But I guess Pop already said Collins is the C and he’d be eating his words. I like Collins but I would like a defensive big in the middle. There I already call Poeltl “defensive.”

I say run with Zach over bringing Jacob back. Zach can at least help with spacing, especially if they plan on starting Keldon and Sochan as well.

Dejounte
05-18-2023, 05:30 PM

Sochan and Mamu. It might just work tbh.

scott
05-18-2023, 10:31 PM
I agree Pop already has a template, and it isn't because of Tim - but it's also not the Olympic team, IMO. It's from his time as an assistant under Larry Brown and the 1989 Model the Spurs used with an incoming David Robinson.

Up front, let me say I understand that Wemby and The Admiral are two very different generational prospects. David was coming in as a grown man (he honestly looked like a Greek statue carved of marble) at 24 years of age.

That difference laid out up front, I still don't think the circumstances nor the model are two different.

The 1988-89 Spurs team went 21-61 and was a team that featured a young core without a star. Rookie Willie Anderson averaged 18.6 ppg, 2nd year man Cadillac Anderson and rookie Vernon Maxwell each averaged double digits in scoring, and 5th year man Alvin Robertson was the veteran on the team.

It would have been understandable to roll into the 1989-90 season with the same core with David Robinson and recently drafted Sean Elliott added to the mix. However, sometimes there is such a thing as too much youth. The Spurs knew this and in the offseason went out and acquired 28-year old All-Star PF Terry Cummings, in the process giving up Alvin Robertson (who also had some legal issues) and Cadillac Anderson. "Preacher" TC provided veteran presence and leadership while also helping to take the burden off the new young core of DRob, Sean and Willie.

I still contend that this is the way, though perhaps not the caliber of TC. I wouldn't go blow our war chest on acquiring this player, but I want to add one solid veteran leader who will be a meaningful contributor, not just a mentor from the bench, to this roster. Other than that, I'm all for holding tight on what we have and seeing how the team gels before truly going "all in". They don't need to a proven multi-time champion, but someone who has been around the block, knows what it means to be a professional in this league.

TBH, Josh Richardson would have been a good candidate for this role if still on the team. Derrick White would be another. The closest we have on the roster right now, tbh, is Doug McBuckets. Another vet presence could help. I don't think Devonte Graham is it.

Here are some guys I think could maaaaaybe play the part (without having any clue as to their availability):

Seth Curry
Will Barton
Jakob (tbh)
Batum (maybe?)
TJ Warren
Cedi Osman
Ricky Rubio
TJ McConnell
Kris Middleton (this would be more the TC parallel, in a lot of ways)
Tim Hardway Jr (If Dallas really wants to pay to dump him, I'd be all ears)
Steven Adams (unless he is completely broken)