PDA

View Full Version : Wemby for Point Guard?

Millennial_Messiah
05-18-2023, 11:54 AM
I think with his skill set he would make a great point guard on offense. Also, it would increase his long term longevity w.r.t. injury considering he wouldn't have to bang constantly with thicker, fatter, bigger (albeit shorter) men in the low post the whole time. He could guard a different position on defense and honestly I think he could guard almost any position except the thick fat centers and fat people like Jokic that will bully him in the paint. On defense he will be a great weak side shot blocker like Ibaka in his prime but he will never be an elite low post man defender.

I think he should follow in the footsteps of the last Spurs hall of fame point guard from France. Basically be the 7'3" Magic Johnson, inspired by the one and only Spurs Head-of-the-Snake (HOTS).

What say thee?

John B
05-18-2023, 12:02 PM
SF would be more ideal than a PG. And I think that would be his position SF/PF.

Millennial_Messiah
05-18-2023, 12:06 PM
SF would be more ideal than a PG. And I think that would be his position SF/PF.

I would prefer for him to have the ball in his hands every possession. He is an elite dribbler, though needs to work on his passing accuracy and awareness/anticipation. Sort of like a young quarterback coming out of college.

Even if he has to be the 7'3" version of Andre Miller in the paint some possessions... I still want him to be point guard on offense. Slow down the pace for the other team, shorten the game / score board, play offense deep into the shot clock... get back to playing Spurs basketball, win games while only allowing double digit scores for the other team >80% of the time.

Force the other team to double him and/or play zone and pack the paint, open up the three point shot for Vassell and the rest. Trade a pick for the Lakers AR-15 if we can, that guy is a heck of a shooter. I certainly don't want Wemby to take many threes unless he's forced or wiiiiiiide open or it's the end of the shot clock. Because he shot around 30% from three with the French Mets. Not ideal. Also a waste of his talent.

Mr. Body
05-18-2023, 12:08 PM
Yeah, he's more of a SF or in the modern era a swing PF.

His handles are exceptional for his size but still need a good amount of work. Quick guards can dispossess him and he doesn't deal with double teams all that well yet.

You also want him to pressure the rim in transition. You want to get him down there as soon as you can, without the ball, to seal his man or before the defense can accumulate and it's basically an instant two points.

Millennial_Messiah
05-18-2023, 12:12 PM
Yeah, he's more of a SF or in the modern era a swing PF.

His handles are exceptional for his size but still need a good amount of work. Quick guards can dispossess him and he doesn't deal with double teams all that well yet.

You also want him to pressure the rim in transition. You want to get him down there as soon as you can, without the ball, to seal his man or before the defense can accumulate and it's basically an instant two points.

I like that idea... as I mentioned before, he can play PG on offense and basically SF / help side PF on defense, like how OKC hid Ibaka's defensive flaws and played to his strength which was shot blocking in his prime. That would allow him to do like you said, seal his man in transition like a prime Timmy except for the fact that unlike Timmy instead of shooting a mini hook off the glass, Wemby can just jump over his man and dunk the ball in the hole, often resulting in a three point play. How's his free throw shooting by the way? I hope it's better than Timmy's.

JPB
05-18-2023, 12:20 PM
What's for sure is that we should expect him to bring the ball up the court a lot after he grabs a rebound.

John B
05-18-2023, 12:21 PM
I would prefer for him to have the ball in his hands every possession. He is an elite dribbler, though needs to work on his passing accuracy and awareness/anticipation. Sort of like a young quarterback coming out of college.

Even if he has to be the 7'3" version of Andre Miller in the paint some possessions... I still want him to be point guard on offense. Slow down the pace for the other team, shorten the game / score board, play offense deep into the shot clock... get back to playing Spurs basketball, win games while only allowing double digit scores for the other team >80% of the time.

Make no mistake Coach Pop will exploit the mismatches that Wemby’s ballhandling would create. Pop loves a big man facilitating. But I think it’s prudent to have a full-time ballhandler to take the pressure off, where he could easily get harassed from in-bound. There will be plenty of time that Wemby will be creating. But they will need a full-time PG to take the pressure off, and only pass to Wemby when he’s on the right spot. You don’t want your superstar to be inbounding from the other side of the court every time, maneuver through traffic and then create for people. Nah Wemby would be exhausted :lol

Seventyniner
05-18-2023, 02:01 PM
And Tre Jones at center. Sure, whatever.

DAF86
05-18-2023, 02:38 PM
Stop it. The kid is 7'5". He will be a center. Fucking lunatics on this forum, I swear. :lol

mudyez
05-18-2023, 05:23 PM
No matter what position I'd love him to develop a Sky Hook.

Dejounte
05-18-2023, 05:28 PM
Stop it. The kid is 7'5". He will be a center. Fucking lunatics on this forum, I swear. :lol

Seriously

KingKev
05-18-2023, 06:41 PM
Seriously

Preach. Some posters need to stay retired.

Splits
05-18-2023, 06:47 PM
OP trying to compete with the The Case for Picking Victor Wembanyama with the #1 Overall Pick (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301959&p=10895876)
not realizing it was parody