PDA

View Full Version : Is Pop the right coach for Wemby?

SpurSpike
05-19-2023, 03:29 PM
Pop is a great coach no doubt, this is not a debate on his coaching abilities. However, with Wemby coming to San Antonio it might be best for the franchise to start fresh with a new coach. I believe part of what kept Duncan around was Pop. Would Timmy have stayed with SA if Pop had retired half way through his career? Who knows, but it feels like that would have hurt our chances of keeping him around. People are the most impressionable when they are young and that seems like the time to make a strong relationship with a player. There is no way that Pop will last though Wembys career and if he stays around for another couple of years and then retires it may be around the same time we try to extend Wemby and could be a factor that temps Wemby to leave and try a new scene...

Pop had his Tim, is it time for a younger coach to develop an unbreakable relationship and coach Wemby? This would be a huge decision as you would need a coach that would maintain a stable foundation here in San Antonio.

Or am i wrong and Pop staying for a couple of years to help bring Wemby into the league is the better path. Wemby could say he was coached by the GOAT coach, then when he is ready to retire you can bring in a coach that a fully developed Wemby Prime would approve of?

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 03:30 PM
They should bring back Bob Hill.

exstatic
05-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Wemby mentioned respecting Pop and looking forward to playing for him in his post lottery interview. Pops not going anywhere until he wants to.

cd98
05-19-2023, 03:39 PM
Pop invented load management. That’s the best coach for his first year.

K...
05-19-2023, 03:40 PM
Well if pop under performs this year precedent is that Brian wright gets to replace him. Is that what you want?

Wemby will be fine. Hes so good any coach will do. But who cares? Coaches dont win games players do.

T Park
05-19-2023, 03:44 PM
Yea he only managed and coached the greatest power forward of all time and helped him play 19 years, so id say he knows how to manage this.

John B
05-19-2023, 03:55 PM
Pop is the least coach that would be pressured into anything, and has the pedigree to back it up. So if he holds him back because he thinks it’s best for him, he will. And for that, I can only teust Wemby’s health on Pop’s hands.

I think Pop would slip away quietly into retirement, unannounced, without much flare when he thinks he’s found someine he can trust not to mess it up. Manu, Monty, Bud are my choices in that order. Quin would be there 2nd if he were available.

T Park
05-19-2023, 03:57 PM
Also Wemby’s coach in France is the national team coach, hes tough and hard on him. Allegedly Wemby welcomes it ALA Tony Parker.

Let Pop have him for as long as he wants then call Jay WRight up and let him take over.

toki9
05-19-2023, 04:14 PM
Also Wemby’s coach in France is the national team coach, hes tough and hard on him. Allegedly Wemby welcomes it ALA Tony Parker.

Let Pop have him for as long as he wants then call Jay WRight up and let him take over.

Jay Wright is 61 years old.

toki9
05-19-2023, 04:16 PM
Wemby is one of the most hyped prospects ever. Spurs will need a coach with impeccable credibility and security. Should be Pop for Wemby’s transition years, with maybe Bud as lead assistant. And Bud can bring over BLopez with him.

slick'81
05-19-2023, 04:18 PM
Pop is actually the perfect coach for wemby to come into the league with

K...
05-19-2023, 04:19 PM
Op secretly wants Diane fienstien to coach and is worried time is running out.

But for real,if you said ,who is the best successor to pop, it'd be a less dumb post.

Pop will hopefully clarify his intent but i fear he'll just say as long as possible

SpurSpike
05-19-2023, 05:03 PM
Perhaps the title was misleading or people only read the title...

I think Pop can be a great coach for Wemby. This thread was more about developing a lasting relationship with player and coach. Pop cannot provide that because he is too old to last through Wembys career is what i'm saying but maybe i'm putting to much importance into personal relationships when the NBA is a business setting.

ChumpDumper
05-19-2023, 05:05 PM

I think Pop can be a great coach for Wemby. This thread was more about developing a lasting relationship with player and coach. Pop cannot provide that because he is too old to last through Wembys career is what i'm saying but maybe i'm putting to much importance into personal relationships when the NBA is a business setting.

In a perfect world an assistant will start that kind of relationship and carry it into a head coaching job when Pop leaves.

Mugen
05-19-2023, 05:08 PM
I do think they'll need a succession plan in place with Wemby's buy in by the time his first extension rolls around tbh (assuming everything goes well)

Poolboy5623
05-19-2023, 05:29 PM
At least Becky won't be coaching him.

JPB
05-19-2023, 05:38 PM
Well, yes. As pretty much everyone in the NBA is saying.

BatManu20
05-19-2023, 05:59 PM
Peep the sig dawg. What more convincing do you need tbh.

Dex
05-19-2023, 06:39 PM
Or am i wrong and Pop staying for a couple of years to help bring Wemby into the league is the better path. Wemby could say he was coached by the GOAT coach, then when he is ready to retire you can bring in a coach that a fully developed Wemby Prime would approve of?

You are wrong. Pop is the perfect coach to help get Wemby's career off the ground.

Obviously Pop won't be around forever, but I am sure he will also make sure the next coach (whoever that ends up being) is prepared.

Look at the NBA landscape. Championship coaches like Bud, Nurse, and Rivers being fired. Those guys don't have the luxury Pop has to hand off the keys in the way Pop does.

The Truth #6
05-19-2023, 06:41 PM
The options for finding a great successor just went way up. Shit, in a few years you could probably get Steve Kerr.

Splits
05-19-2023, 06:54 PM
Pop is only 76. If Connie Mack can coach at 88, Pop as the GOAT can get into his 90s and be fine. That's a good 15+ years. He might even be immortal and push it to 100 and outlast Wemby.

He should make Wemby the same promise he made Lamarsha: He'll be here to the end.

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 07:01 PM

Makes sense, but at this point it's about developing a relationship with the staff and franchise. The team need to replace Pop - when the time comes - with a guy who isn't looking over his shoulder and has to make a big splash. It's going to be an important decision.

tonight...you
05-19-2023, 07:05 PM
Peep the sig dawg. What more convincing do you need tbh.
Looking at that sig...
I wonder if there could be custom made shoes that protect not onlywhere and how he steps, but also the top if someone steps on them without making things limiting, or uncomfortable.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-19-2023, 07:05 PM
It's not just Pop. It's the entire staff and when it comes to player development they have demonstrated the ability to develop All-NBA talent. We all saw what they did with nephew. This is the same culture.

Das Texan
05-19-2023, 08:06 PM

Nah.

I hope Coach Bud is basically named successor at some point this summer whenever Pop wants to hang em up.

Mr. Body
05-19-2023, 08:08 PM
Nah.

I hope Coach Bud is basically named successor at some point this summer whenever Pop wants to hang em up.

My guess is Pop has set up a backyard arena for all his successors to fight to the death with knives.

exstatic
05-19-2023, 08:17 PM

I don’t think there’s ever the expectation that the coach on board when a top draft pick is made will be there his whole career. Greek Freak didn’t go to pieces when Kidd was fired.

szkorhetz
05-20-2023, 12:57 AM
I just want Spo.

Big Empty
05-20-2023, 06:41 AM
Bring in an assistsnt coach that will take over when pop decides to leave. The assistant/future head coach can grow with Wemby

exstatic
05-20-2023, 07:34 AM
Bring in an assistsnt coach that will take over when pop decides to leave. The assistant/future head coach can grow with Wemby

Why do people assume Bret Brown isn’t that guy? He took a Philly team from The Process to The Playoffs.

Sugus
05-20-2023, 07:41 AM
Well if pop under performs this year precedent is that Brian wright gets to replace him. Is that what you want?

Wemby will be fine. Hes so good any coach will do. But who cares? Coaches dont win games players do.

Bullshit, and not only that, but more importantly -- coaches lose games, and that's far more decisive. See Pop taking Timmy out for that Bosh rebound, or Doc Rivers' choking masterpieces, or Bud's aversity to adjustment costing MWK this years' playoffs.

Who's coaching matters a fuck ton, whether fans understand it or not.

FutureMan
05-20-2023, 07:51 AM
Why do people assume Bret Brown isn’t that guy? He took a Philly team from The Process to The Playoffs.

I saw Brown as the coach during our own “process” if we didn’t get a top 3 pick, pop retired, and the Spurs had to tank for longer. I think now there will be better head coaching options. There has to be a ton of people who would want to coach Wembanyama.

dbestpro
05-20-2023, 08:10 AM
I do not like Pop. I think he was an in-game coat-tail coach, but I also think he is an excellent practice and preparation coach. He will be good for Wemby, but Robinson and Duncan will be more so.

exstatic
05-20-2023, 08:24 AM

It’s funny that you think Pop works for Brian Wright. Pop works for the Holts, and no one else. He didn’t work for RC, and he doesn’t work for wright.

Silverheart80
05-20-2023, 08:54 AM
Answer to the OP's question is yes, Pop is the right coach for Wemby's career for as long as Pop wants to stay. Face it, what happened on Tuesday is a dream situation. Best prospect on the planet stated how much he's looking forward to being coached by Pop, if indeed Pop stays.

I see what you're asking as far as relationship-building for the long term, but if there's one thing Pop's vast coaching tree exemplifies, it's relationship-building. I can't imagine the next coach for the Spurs won't be someone that hasn't had Pop's influence or imprint upon their career, at the very least. Most likely, it will be someone handpicked by Pop, with the Spurs' future in mind, and therefore, Victor's too.

Lastly -- I laugh at people who say Pop is too old and doesn't relate to today's players. Go look at the post-Olympics reactions from his Gold Medal squad, featuring Kevin Durant and some of today's elite players. Even a narcissist like Draymond has unending love and respect for him.

Dejounte
05-20-2023, 08:55 AM
I just want Spo.

Spo was pulled from the video room. How many folks here would be happy if an unknown like Spo back then became the next head coach?

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2023, 01:06 PM
Not only is Pop the right coach for Wemby, he‘s also the right coach to build a system around him

Proxy
05-20-2023, 01:38 PM
bring Bud and Monty back with Brett already on the bench, Wemby can choose whichever one he wants to keep for post-Pop retirement. Not like Pop would stop being around either, Manu and TD are already always there whether they have official coaching/staff titles or not

SPURt
05-20-2023, 03:03 PM
David Robinson being on Tim and Pop’s early teams helped shape that culture a lot. I tend to credit David Robinson for the Spurs culture as we know it. I’m glad Pop is still coaching. Having Pop coaching makes up for there not being a star veteran on the roster that embodies the Spurs culture.

The fact Wemby aspires to follow in Tony’s footsteps is a huge boon. I hope Pop stays on long enough to allow Wembanyama to pick up the torch David lit and bring it forward for years to come.

james evans
05-20-2023, 03:17 PM
Pop isn't going anywhere. Whenever he transitions to the next life, he will do it as the Spurs head coach

K...
05-20-2023, 03:41 PM
Brian wright as coach is a joke about the bob hill firing. But tbh if wright did want to stab pop in the back, now is the time. He just pulled off the greatest turn around of a tanking team, and while pop is legendary,. Hes old so its not outside of possibility that pop is fired to bring in a new coach. On pop brian and he Holt's know how pops age affects their thinking.

Before wemby we were looking for young coaches to replace pop, but now the spurs can literally get any coach they want due to wemby interest. Luckily pop is pretty elite

lefty20
05-20-2023, 04:18 PM
Pop gonna be coaching the Spurs till the fucking Sun dies. When it does, he will continue coaching them in the darkness.

slick'81
05-20-2023, 04:27 PM
Brett gotta be loving his choice to come back to sa

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-20-2023, 06:33 PM

It’s because euro players aren’t the coddled pu$$ies we’re producing now in the states.

T Park
06-04-2023, 02:17 PM
Jay Wright is 61 years old.

And?

T Park
06-04-2023, 02:17 PM
It’s because euro players aren’t the coddled pu$$ies we’re producing now in the states.

This is also true rocket.gif

SequSpur
06-06-2023, 10:02 PM
This is a stupid topic. Popovich is f'in horrible man. Wemby doesn't want to come here. He wants to win. This team sucks balls. All of the players do. The team will be back in the lottery for the next 5 years.