PDA

View Full Version : Wemby Expected To Work With TD (Article)

Thomas82
05-20-2023, 05:51 PM
In my opinion, it was to be expected. Anyway, here's a link to the article talking about it. Watch out for the incorrect info in there too.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10076727-stein-expectation-is-victor-wembanyama-will-work-with-spurs-legend-tim-duncan

spurraider21
05-20-2023, 05:57 PM
How much wemby gets out of this is up to him. I remember all those stories about Dwight learning from Hakeem and never developing a well versed post game. Wemby seems cut from a different cloth though

Ariel
05-20-2023, 06:01 PM
After the San Antonio Spurs landed the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft lottery earlier this week, many predict that top prospect Victor Wembanyama will enjoy a successful career with the storied franchise.

According to NBA insider Marc Stein, the young phenom will have the benefit of learning from a Hall of Famer, as Tim Duncan is expected to work with Wembanyama upon his arrival in San Antonio:

"At the behest of longtime Spurs patriarch Gregg Popovich, Tim Duncan agreed to join Pop's coaching staff for the 2019-20 campaign interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. That one season was enough for Duncan to reaffirm what many suspected and what he surely already knew—full-time coaching isn't for him—but the expectation is that he will regularly visit the team's practice facility to work with Wembanyama when the Spurs are home."

The Spurs drafted Duncan No. 1 overall in 1997, and he went on to become one of the best power forwards ever to grace the basketball court. He led the franchise to five NBA titles and was named NBA MVP in back-to-back seasons in 2002 and 2003.

San Antonio is certainly hoping that Wembanyama will follow a similar path. The 7'5" Frenchman is considered to be the most promising prospect to enter the NBA in quite a while, so he will have high expectations placed on his shoulders when he enters the league.

Working directly with Duncan will surely help Wembanyama's career get off to the right start.
I read this too and thought about posting it, but after going through it concluded it contains no information whatsoever and is pure speculation on the part of the writer.

K...
05-20-2023, 06:06 PM
imho most of what duncan knew isn't applicable. i think this will jsut be a meet your heroes thing. WEmby has an advanced game he just needs to learn the opposition, teammates etc.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-20-2023, 06:17 PM
“One of the best power forwards”?!!!

I’ll never read BleacherReport again.

Russ
05-20-2023, 06:21 PM
imho most of what duncan knew isn't applicable. i think this will jsut be a meet your heroes thing. WEmby has an advanced game he just needs to learn the opposition, teammates etc.

Duncan won't be able to improve Wemby's trademark freakish game, you're right.

But although Duncan's game was completely different, ironically, that's why he might be the perfect tutor -- Duncan can teach Wemby things he can't do now. Like setting up in the post, back to the basket.

No need to visualize Duncan trying to teach Wemby even crazier outrageous moves. He can't. But if W. can expand his game (even if the expanded parts are less jawdropping), that can open up the freaky things even more.

BatManu20
05-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Was inevitable, even though they play completely different games. Can’t hurt to work with Timmy though. Will be cool to see them getting shots up together. And how much he’s going to tower Duncan.

Tbh if I’m Wemby, I’m trying to learn Kareem’s sky-hook. The most unblockable shot ever and he’s already a couple inches taller than Kareem was. He’d be unstoppable with it. It’s not an easy shot to learn though. Surprisingly difficult to hit it consistently so I doubt it ever happens. There’s a reason nobody’s been able to duplicate it.

Thomas82
05-20-2023, 06:22 PM
“One of the best power forwards”?!!!

I’ll never read BleacherReport again.

Yeah, I was looking at my screen sideways when I saw that. SMH

Arcadian
05-20-2023, 06:47 PM

What the hell do you mean? Wemby has a lot of skills, but he's not done learning at 19 years old. If there's anyone he can learn from, it's someone on the level of TD.

I'm not saying he should try to play like Tim, but if he incorporates even just a little of Tim's game into his own, he'll be that much better.

slick'81
05-20-2023, 06:57 PM
Cant fucking hurt

MultiTroll
05-20-2023, 06:57 PM

Duncan won't be able to improve Wemby's trademark freakish game, you're right.

But although Duncan's game was completely different, ironically, that's why he might be the perfect tutor -- Duncan can teach Wemby things he can't do now. Like setting up in the post, back to the basket.

No need to visualize Duncan trying to teach Wemby even crazier outrageous moves. He can't. But if W. can expand his game (even if the expanded parts are less jawdropping), that can open up the freaky things even more.
Perhaps Duncan will work with him on the mid and long range 18 foot banker.
OTOH maybe Wama is totally used to not banking and it would mess him up.

All TBD in time.

K...
05-20-2023, 07:13 PM
i mean i think olajuan, durant or Giannis would be better but i won't begrudge anyhting, if anything selling on the future supermax should start on day one.. But what i meant to say was that wemby would get more out of just playing and learning to dominate than what tim can tell him. He's like TP, already a pro. Tim can teach about pop, the refs , American road life. i just don't think duncan can teach his shooting, and his position and footwork isn't applicable since wemby can pivot and move. It's been 20 years since TIM was a young athletic guys, and wemby doesn't need an old man game at this point.

JPB
05-20-2023, 07:16 PM
Footwork too on defense to position yourself favorably in just 2 or 3 steps for a block or just stop your guy. Tim was great at that. Wemby already has good instincts and know how to act like he's focused on the other side of the play, back to it, only to turn around to reach and block the foolish driver who thought he had an open lay up.

Tyronn Lue
05-20-2023, 07:17 PM
It's one thing to be great at something but quite another to be able to teach it. People seem to think great players make great teachers, but what makes some players great is how they are able to capitalize on their own strengths and hide/overcome their weaknesses. Great shooting coaches weren't necessarily great shooters, for example.

K...
05-20-2023, 07:44 PM
It's one thing to be great at something but quite another to be able to teach it. People seem to think great players make great teachers, but what makes some players great is how they are able to capitalize on their own strengths and hide/overcome their weaknesses. Great shooting coaches weren't necessarily great shooters, for example.

true but tim might be better at a training partner than sochan or collins, mamu, etc. I hope the spurs can get a younger vet big to help, an informal review of what to train for against different players.

Mr. Body
05-20-2023, 08:06 PM

I was just thinking about the story about Timmy telling one of his opponents to change his footwork to seal him off better. Next time down the court, the guy did it and Timmy congratulated him.

Wembanyama is pretty poor in some areas. He's not great at dealing with double teams. Tim also wasn't great at it and learned how.

ace3g
05-20-2023, 08:14 PM
I was just thinking about the story about Timmy telling one of his opponents to change his footwork to seal him off better. Next time down the court, the guy did it and Timmy congratulated him.

Wembanyama is pretty poor in some areas. He's not great at dealing with double teams. Tim also wasn't great at it and learned how.

Good ole Etan Thomas

Chinook
05-20-2023, 08:30 PM
People acting as if Wembanyama is too advanced for Duncan are ridiculous. Most of basketball has not fundamentally changed in 50 years, let alone the seven since Tim left. Wemby will do some things Tim didn't do, but he and basically every player will need to play in the post and near the basket. That's part of being an iso threat. Wembanyama is also extremely gifted as a shot-blocker but still untrained in positioning and technique. I have no idea what folks are thinking him getting better is going to look like if not him gain insight and consistency. He should learn a lot from Duncan, Manu and all of the other players he gets a chance to work with. Maybe he'll be better than all of them, but he doesn't know what they know yet.

spursparker9
05-20-2023, 08:52 PM
Can we get Kareem also?

Wemby with the sky hook would be as unstoppable as Kareem

Russ
05-20-2023, 08:55 PM
Can we get Kareem also?

I second that emotion.

ace3g
05-20-2023, 08:57 PM
Can we get Kareem also?

My co-worker has been waiting for another NBA player to master the sky-hook.

spursparker9
05-20-2023, 09:10 PM
Is Kareem someone that will only helped current Lakers players?

I think there are some retired players that will only helped "their own team"

PopTheGOAT
05-20-2023, 09:57 PM
People acting as if Wembanyama is too advanced for Duncan are ridiculous. Most of basketball has not fundamentally changed in 50 years, let alone the seven since Tim left. Wemby will do some things Tim didn't do, but he and basically every player will need to play in the post and near the basket. That's part of being an iso threat. Wembanyama is also extremely gifted as a shot-blocker but still untrained in positioning and technique. I have no idea what folks are thinking him getting better is going to look like if not him gain insight and consistency. He should learn a lot from Duncan, Manu and all of the other players he gets a chance to work with. Maybe he'll be better than all of them, but he doesn't know what they know yet.
Exactly. Wemby has everything to learn from Duncan. Timmy was an expert at using his body to create shots. He was great at positioning himself off the ball. Plus a million other things. This dude may be the most naturally gifted player we’ve seen, and sure he’s seems to have been working hard on his game, but he’s still a very raw prospect. I’ve watched full games he’s played. The highlights are incredible, but he’s got a lot to work on.

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2023, 10:56 PM
:lol @ people here only talking about offense. Duncan was one of the best defensive players ever, especially when it came to altering shots at the rim and timing.

Das Texan
05-20-2023, 11:28 PM
Why is this even a fucking story?

Anyone within San Antonio and the Spurs organization already knows that Duncan is a presence at the practice facility already and already knew Timmy would be there when requested.

lefty20
05-21-2023, 04:46 AM
I've heard that Timmy still has a locker at the Spurs practice facility. That he sometimes shows up just to shoot the shit with the staff, other times he actually participates in the practices.

thiste
05-21-2023, 07:46 AM
Tbh if I’m Wemby, I’m trying to learn Kareem’s sky-hook. The most unblockable shot ever and he’s already a couple inches taller than Kareem was. He’d be unstoppable with it. It’s not an easy shot to learn though. Surprisingly difficult to hit it consistently so I doubt it ever happens. There’s a reason nobody’s been able to duplicate it.
I've heard this multiple times over the past year, and I'll explain why it probably won't happen. I understand the similarities between Wemby & Kareem and why people think it would be a great idea. Kareem developed the sky hook for a few reasons, mainly because they outlawed the dunk in college (because of his dominance), and also keep in mind he had a similarly tall rival in Wilt who could jump outside of the arena and actually did block a few sky hooks.
Wemby is 3 inches taller than Kareem, with a significantly longer wingspan. He also has a high release on his shot. Basically, he doesn't need to develop the sky hook because his regular shot is already impossible to block. I've seen him make hook shots, but I don't think he will try and develop the sky hook and make that a significant part of his arsenal.

Davidicus2
05-21-2023, 08:07 AM
All former Spurs players and coaches in the past have said, in one form or another, the best attribute about Duncan wasn’t his basketball skill set, but his ability to be coached. That’s what ultimately led to the 5 championships, the mindset from the #1 player on the team.

Outside of Tim’s game, which of course can help Victor, Im most excited / content knowing Timmy’s values and personality can rub off on Victor a little.

Also, he can start to see through Tim Tony Manu David’s eyes why they all chose to live in SA long term.

heyheymymy
05-21-2023, 08:31 AM
lol I'm sure Victor can learn a thing or two from TD as a mentor

it's crazy to act like that's not the case

FuzzyLumpkins
05-21-2023, 08:49 AM

What's cool is that Wembanyama can take everything from Duncans game to good effect. Wemby is a much more quick and fluid athlete than Duncan was. Duncan had touch out to about 15 feet and then he was shotputting the ball at the basket. Wemby's release looks gorgeous when he is side stepping threes.

He could also take everything from Kevin Durant's game to good effect.

JPB
05-21-2023, 09:09 AM
What's cool is that Wembanyama can take everything from Duncans game to good effect. Wemby is a much more quick and fluid athlete than Duncan was. Duncan had touch out to about 15 feet and then he was shotputting the ball at the basket. Wemby's release looks gorgeous when he is side stepping threes.

He could also take everything from Kevin Durant's game to good effect.

Wemby actually said Durant was the player he's been studying the most.