PDA

View Full Version : Whence the bad defense

Extra Stout
05-20-2023, 07:54 PM
So the Spurs were terrible on defense last year. How much of that was Pop intentionally running a complicated read-and-react scheme he knew young players wouldn’t be able to execute in order to pile up losses, and how much of that was players who are really bad at defense?

Like, let’s say it — Keldon Johnson is a traffic cone, and becoming a traffic cone represented real progress for him.

Obviously Wemby should improve the defense next year. But are any of these other guys actually any good at it?

J_Paco
05-20-2023, 08:08 PM
So the Spurs were terrible on defense last year. How much of that was Pop intentionally running a complicated read-and-react scheme he knew young players wouldn’t be able to execute in order to pile up losses, and how much of that was players who are really bad at defense?

Like, let’s say it — Keldon Johnson is a traffic cone, and becoming a traffic cone represented real progress for him.

Obviously Wemby should improve the defense next year. But are any of these other guys actually any good at it?

Wesley and Sochan, I believe, have the potential to be plus defenders. I'm also hopeful that Vassell can get back to being a quality defender.

The best we can hope for from Malaki & Keldon are at minimum league average defense.

I think Wembanyama's mere presence in the paint will improve the team's defense quite a bit. Still need to add a versatile, 3 - and - D wing at some point in the near future.

mookie2001
05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Wemby will either be guarding the paint, half the court or the entire court. If the spurs can get a couple more Psycho T guys to go with Sochan and Vassell...

Please. We're talking torture chamber

Obstructed_View
05-20-2023, 11:59 PM
Much like Pop was one of the first to turn the baseline three into a weapon, I think he used it to tank. I don't think the defense is nearly as bad as it looked. If they decide they want to win this year the defense is going to vastly improve. It took Pop nearly a month to get the Spurs losing on a consistent basis.