PDA

View Full Version : Barkley: Spurs third-best team in Texas even with Wembanyama; not close to winning titles

ducks
05-20-2023, 09:07 PM
https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/nba/spurs/charles-barkley-spurs-third-best-team-texas-victor-wembanyama-not-close-winning-titles-nba-san-antonio/273-cc915b3d-936a-45cf-b764-3df2b757f4af?tag1=kensshare

lefty20
05-20-2023, 09:08 PM
This prolly guarantees us finishing ahead of Rox & Mavs

BatManu20
05-20-2023, 09:09 PM
He’s entitled to his opinion. I agree we’re not anywhere close to winning a Championship though. We’re still 2-3 years and a couple trades away from contending imo.

Extra Stout
05-20-2023, 09:22 PM
Where’s the lie?

lmbebo
05-20-2023, 09:23 PM
See nothing wrong. Wemby hasn't played. Don't know much he'll play. Team still has holes. But who knows, not like Dallas and Houston played well last night night

ChumpDumper
05-20-2023, 09:46 PM
Not a big deal OP. Sorry.

ducks
05-20-2023, 09:59 PM
Where’s the lie?

Third west team
I think they are better then Houston

baseline bum
05-20-2023, 10:03 PM
Where’s the lie?

Houston. Gotta think the Spurs have a better than 50/50 shot at finishing with a better record than the Rockets next year.

Extra Stout
05-20-2023, 10:12 PM
Houston. Gotta think the Spurs have a better than 50/50 shot at finishing with a better record than the Rockets next year.
Nah, they’re all-in with Harden and KAT to go 45-37.

jjspur
05-20-2023, 10:15 PM
What does Barkley know about championships, he never won one.

K...
05-20-2023, 10:20 PM
Next year?.ok not wrong . H'ell be dancing the wemby shuffle as soon as all star break though

baseline bum
05-20-2023, 10:23 PM
Nah, they’re all-in with Harden and KAT to go 45-37.

Harden's just saying that shit to get Philly to pay him. They just shitcanned Coc for him.

DPG21920
05-20-2023, 10:31 PM

Lots of Harden back to Rockets rumors. If they land Harden, they are clearly better than SA (which who cares)

Mugen
05-20-2023, 10:32 PM
Rockets have a better coach tbh :lol

daslicer
05-20-2023, 10:38 PM
I think Dallas if healthy is a playoff team so they will be better than the Spurs next year. With Houston it's neck and neck and depends on if Harden signs with them.

weeks
05-20-2023, 10:42 PM
unfair take tbh. barkley was championship-caliber talent

NickiRasgo
05-20-2023, 10:53 PM

If applying the same logic, we can't say something to Barkley because we aren't NBA players as well.

barakz21
05-20-2023, 11:05 PM
Can’t get mad at Chuck. Haven’t really paid attention to him until I moved to the US, but Chuck’s been complimentary of the Spurs for the most part. And even when he’s said something that can be considered “hating” on the team, he’s at least been objective and makes valid points.

Now his opinions on SA and it’s women though, they’re a different story lol

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-20-2023, 11:16 PM
Dem big women tbh

Chuck gets a lifetime pass for me

Philthemage
05-20-2023, 11:32 PM
He's been wrong plenty of times and him saying this reassures me. Remember when he had to kiss a donkey on TV because he didnt think Yao would score 19...

Obstructed_View
05-20-2023, 11:55 PM
We will find out soon enough.

TekXX
05-21-2023, 01:21 AM
If Houston gets Harden fine they win a few more games

SpurPadre
05-21-2023, 01:21 AM
Meanwhile Stephen Jackson came on Michelle Beadle's show and pretended like he was cool with the Spurs again and happy about us getting Wemby. Front running hypocrite.

DAF86
05-21-2023, 02:04 AM
Barkley has already decided he's gonna be a Wemby hater.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 05:26 AM
If Houston gets Harden fine they win a few more games

Harden has proven to be a guy who steps up and shines in the regular season.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 05:27 AM

Obviously not, since he has no rings.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 05:30 AM
If applying the same logic, we can't say something to Barkley because we aren't NBA players as well.

Neither is he any more. He’s a commentator paid to give his opinion, and we’re free to comment on it.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 05:31 AM
Now his opinions on SA and it’s women though, they’re a different story lol

San Antonio has the best food in Texas. I would weigh 50 lbs more if I still lived there. I have a hard time blaming people for enjoying the food.

Chuck has been a fat fuck since he was in college. Without Moses to call him out he might never have lived up to his potential. He would not have done well as a Spur.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 05:39 AM
Oh yes he was. He was 1a to Jordan's 1 for several years. There is a period where he was arguably every bit Jordan's equal. There is no higher praise than that.

There are a lot of guys who don't have rings because of the Bulls. Losing to the goat happens.

Fireball
05-21-2023, 06:43 AM
lets wait until we know who actually is on the Texas teams when training camp starts ... way too early for any predictions

Bill_Brasky
05-21-2023, 06:53 AM
Barkley couldn't name 5 Spurs players lets be honest. He has no fucking clue here. That's probably why he thinks we will suck and not make the playoffs. But i mean, not like the Rockets and Mavs are the measuring stick you should use anyway.

NickiRasgo
05-21-2023, 07:50 AM
Neither is he any more. He’s a commentator paid to give his opinion, and we’re free to comment on it.

Well he's asking about his experience on how to win one championship. Just because he doesn't win one doesn't mean he can't say anything about it like the same thing with us that we aren't NBA players or used to but doesn't mean we can't criticize or say anything about them.

But you're right and that's what I mean. Anyone are free to comment.

barakz21
05-21-2023, 09:10 AM
San Antonio has the best food in Texas. I would weigh 50 lbs more if I still lived there. I have a hard time blaming people for enjoying the food.

Chuck has been a fat fuck since he was in college. Without Moses to call him out he might never have lived up to his potential. He would not have done well as a Spur.

Man, I wish I had more opportunities to go out and enjoy SA when I was there. I think I was only able to go out 4 times in the 4 months I was there. And the places I ate at, at least to me weren’t really indicative of “SA food”.

JPB
05-21-2023, 09:26 AM

I get the point but disagree with that. That's also what differenciates MJ, Tim or Lebron from the Barkleys, Malones or Hardens... The first ones understand and have what it takes, that's not just about talent.

That being said, ofc Barkley can talk about ships in general, although his opinons are often clueless and very uneducated since Im' sure he barealy watch games or try to inform himself. He's mostly here for his untertaining value.

Mr. Body
05-21-2023, 09:46 AM
Barkley would have won a chip if Jordan wasn't around, same as Sean Kemp, Clyde Drexler, John Stockton, Karl Malone, and many more.

If the Rockets get Harden, they and Dallas will likely be expected to be better than the Spurs.

Who really cares?

John B
05-21-2023, 09:59 AM
True, but not for long.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 10:04 AM
Barkley would have won a chip if Jordan wasn't around, same as Sean Kemp, Clyde Drexler, John Stockton, Karl Malone, and many more.

If the Rockets get Harden, they and Dallas will likely be expected to be better than the Spurs.

Who really cares?

Drexler was on the second Houston ring team. Point taken, though, and you can add Ewing to that list.

Extra Stout
05-21-2023, 10:10 AM
Barkley has already decided he's gonna be a Wemby hater.
I don’t think he’s a Wemby hater. I think he’s a hater of the ridiculous hype where Woj called him the greatest prospect in the history of team sports and Broussard said if he only has a career like Olajuwon’s, then that’s a disappointment.

I hate that hype too. If we’re expecting him to rival Duncan’s accomplishments, then that’s unreasonable. Let Wemby be Wemby. If he embraces the city and its community he’ll be beloved.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 10:18 AM
Drexler was on the second Houston ring team. Point taken, though, and you can add Ewing to that list.

Drexler had to Lebron it to get a ring. He might have gotten it the regular way if not for Jordan. Imagine how good that Blazers team would have been with Clyde and Michael.

Extra Stout
05-21-2023, 10:19 AM
I don’t expect the Spurs to have the massive turnarounds the 1989-90 and 1997-98 teams had. First, they’re getting a 19-year-old who is not a finished product, whereas a 24-year-old Robinson and 21-year-old Duncan were already pretty mature. Second, both those teams had veteran supporting casts, the 89-90 team because of deft transactions and the 97-98 team getting an existing supporting cast back from injury.

I expect the 23-24 Spurs to be sort of like the Rockets in Ralph Sampson’s rookie year — 10 to 15 games better.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 10:21 AM
Man, I wish I had more opportunities to go out and enjoy SA when I was there. I think I was only able to go out 4 times in the 4 months I was there. And the places I ate at, at least to me weren’t really indicative of “SA food”.
I haven't been there in forever, but at the time the burgers, the Mexican, and the Chinese food were amazing. Dallas has its spots but most of the people in Dallas just don't want to cook so the food doesn't have to be amazing.

spurraider21
05-21-2023, 10:22 AM

God i hate these takes

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 10:30 AM
I don’t expect the Spurs to have the massive turnarounds the 1989-90 and 1997-98 teams had. First, they’re getting a 19-year-old who is not a finished product, whereas a 24-year-old Robinson and 21-year-old Duncan were already pretty mature. Second, both those teams had veteran supporting casts, the 89-90 team because of deft transactions and the 97-98 team getting an existing supporting cast back from injury.

I expect the 23-24 Spurs to be sort of like the Rockets in Ralph Sampson’s rookie year — 10 to 15 games better.

The Spurs were awfully good to start last season. It took a lot of fake injuries to keep the wins low. And Pop defenses historically ran people off the three point line until last year. Adding Wemby, the core getting a year older, and a defense not giving up threes and you will see a team that has a much better plus/minus. Unless someone regresses pretty badly or Pop sits them out even more, they will compete for the play in by accident.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 10:32 AM
God i hate these takes

You would think fans of a team who won a championship would understand how fucking hard it is to win one.

Leetonidas
05-21-2023, 10:34 AM
'Awfully good' is a bit of a stretch

KingKev
05-21-2023, 10:34 AM
Realistically even with Wemby it will take some time. 3-5yrs from now I am very confident we will be the best team in Texas but for now we have work todo.

John B
05-21-2023, 10:42 AM
The Spurs were awfully good to start last season. It took a lot of fake injuries to keep the wins low. And Pop defenses historically ran people off the three point line until last year. Adding Wemby, the core getting a year older, and a defense not giving up threes and you will see a team that has a much better plus/minus. Unless someone regresses pretty badly or Pop sits them out even more, they will compete for the play in by accident.

Agree. I’m also one of those who didn’t buy Spurs bad defense last season. I only watched the 1st half, and from there Pop would throw the game for the obvious reason. I fully expect the Spurs will be so much better, with mindful not to put too much pressure on Wemby. Maybe not to equal 1989 nor 1998 Spurs records. But I think the Spurs would be winning a lot more games than what even ST people would expect.

John B
05-21-2023, 10:44 AM
Realistically even with Wemby it will take some time. 3-5yrs from now I am very confident we will be the best team in Texas but for now we have work todo.

Hey maybe Spurs would even get your boy Dejounte back… or not :lmao

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 10:46 AM
The joke is I wish I could be a fly on the wall the first time these guys get screamed at for missing a defensive assignment this season, but I have a feeling the whole team is in on it. Watch them go to work this year.

KingKev
05-21-2023, 10:48 AM
Hey maybe Spurs would even get your boy Dejounte back… or not :lmao

Only if he comes at a discount. Otherwise keep moving along with the home grown talent, sell high when you can and only pay up in free agency for a certified winner. But yes DJ is still a fan favourite of mine.

Dverde
05-21-2023, 10:49 AM
Barkley is wrong 70% of the time. I’ll take those odds. Seems odd to make the statement before even preseason.

RC_Drunkford
05-21-2023, 11:49 AM

Who really cares?

Harden on the Rockets would be great, especially on a 5-year max deal so he can mess up their cap space for the future while he gets worse every season

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 12:19 PM
'Awfully good' is a bit of a stretch

Maybe so. When they went 5-1 after getting blown out in the first game, it looked like they were gonna have zero shot at Wembanyama.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 12:20 PM
Barkley is wrong 70% of the time. I’ll take those odds. Seems odd to make the statement before even preseason.

Gets people talking.

Extra Stout
05-21-2023, 12:25 PM
Harden on the Rockets would be great, especially on a 5-year max deal so he can mess up their cap space for the future while he gets worse every season

It will be a 4-year-deal, with the stipulation that he has the “basketball freedom” to “be himself.”

Houston-area strip clubs are ready.

Fertitta couldn’t stomach the full rebuild, so now the Rockets are screwed until 2030.

baseline bum
05-21-2023, 12:28 PM
I don’t think he’s a Wemby hater. I think he’s a hater of the ridiculous hype where Woj called him the greatest prospect in the history of team sports and Broussard said if he only has a career like Olajuwon’s, then that’s a disappointment.

I hate that hype too. If we’re expecting him to rival Duncan’s accomplishments, then that’s unreasonable. Let Wemby be Wemby. If he embraces the city and its community he’ll be beloved.

Wow Broussard's a moron

exstatic
05-21-2023, 12:50 PM
Drexler had to Lebron it to get a ring. He might have gotten it the regular way if not for Jordan. Imagine how good that Blazers team would have been with Clyde and Michael.

Everything you said was true, but doesn’t negate the fact that he doesn’t belong on the ring less list.

baseline bum
05-21-2023, 01:19 PM

Sadly the CBA limits him to four years. Would be great to see though.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 02:18 PM
Everything you said was true, but doesn’t negate the fact that he doesn’t belong on the ring less list.
Definitely.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 02:19 PM
Sadly the CBA limits him to four years. Would be great to see though.

Harden has never needed that long to destroy a team.

Gagnrath
05-21-2023, 02:44 PM
Just because one player has champion level talent doesn't make the rest of a roster have the support for it. It's a team sport not an individual. That's a big part of why I don't like the way the NBA pushes star storylines.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 03:11 PM
Wow Broussard's a moron
A lot of media guys who have traditionally not loved the Spurs are dying to throw cold water on Yama. Broussard has always been a 75 IQ guy.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 03:12 PM
Just because one player has champion level talent doesn't make the rest of a roster have the support for it. It's a team sport not an individual. That's a big part of why I don't like the way the NBA pushes star storylines.

Robinson suffered from that. It's probably why Lebron went superteam.

Extra Stout
05-21-2023, 03:30 PM
A lot of media guys who have traditionally not loved the Spurs are dying to throw cold water on Yama. Broussard has always been a 75 IQ guy.
I am nourished by the bitter, salty tears of the National NBA major-market nut-huggers. They try to hide their sour grapes behind vapid platitudes about how great the Spurs will be for his development, but we know how they really feel. San Antonians have always known. White people hate it because it isn’t white enough, black people hate it because it isn’t black enough, and Mexicans hate it because five times as many live in Southern California as South Texas and they’re all Lakers fans. It’s us against the world, always has been, always will be.

I also love that this burgeoning generation of international superstars could not give less of a shit about the prerogatives of American NBA fans. Giannis will stay in Milwaukee, Jokic will stay in Denver, and Wemby will stay in San Antonio. Fuck New York, fuck Los Angeles, fuck Chicago, and fuck San Francisco.

lefty20
05-21-2023, 03:32 PM

Do it Fertitta!

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-21-2023, 04:03 PM
Any team who gives Harden 4 years and $200+ million is insane.

Extra Stout
05-21-2023, 04:13 PM
Any team who gives Harden 4 years and $200+ million is insane.
Yeah, it’s a mystery why the guy who owns Landry’s Restaurants would pick taking the shortcut to be mediocre and flashy.

lebomb
05-21-2023, 06:26 PM
Barkley isnt wrong at all. BUT!!! they will be the best in Texas in 3-4 yrs for sure.

KobesAchilles
05-21-2023, 06:32 PM
We will be better than Houston. Although if Toronto is going full rebuild mode then maybe Hou can do something like the 4th pick this year, next years first, plus Eric Gordon for Siakim. Sign Harden, Siakim, with Sengun and Smith, that is a playoff squad

Otherwise even with Harden they are fucked :lol

jjspur
05-21-2023, 06:51 PM
Barkley gets paid to say crazy insane stuff to drum up business, I get it. Its way way too too early to say what will happen next season considering anything can and will happen in between the draft and the start of the next season. If he used a bit of common sense and said normal things, he wouldn't get the reactions he gets. With him its style over substance. It may be good for his business, but it doesn't make him correct.

Like someone said earlier, 70% of the time he's wrong and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but would you take the word of someone who gets 70% of things wrong ? I wouldn't. That's my reaction, plus he's being a homer for the rockets who he played for decades ago.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 07:10 PM
We will be better than Houston. Although if Toronto is going full rebuild mode then maybe Hou can do something like the 4th pick this year, next years first, plus Eric Gordon for Siakim. Sign Harden, Siakim, with Sengun and Smith, that is a playoff squad

All Harden does for a team is screw up their draft position.

itzsoweezee
05-21-2023, 08:59 PM
This is the Yao situation all again. Even with the endless out of the world highlights, retired players are hating on another foreign giant. Charles will be kissing an ass on tv next season, again

EricB
05-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Where’s the lie?

they’re better than Houston

daslicer
05-22-2023, 12:02 AM
This is the Yao situation all again. Even with the endless out of the world highlights, retired players are hating on another foreign giant. Charles will be kissing an ass on tv next season, again

I hope not if Wemby ends up being like Yao the best we are going to get out of him is 1 second round appearance.

ducks
05-22-2023, 01:10 AM

Who really cares?

Could say other players would have won more if Kobe did not play. The point is barkley did not win a title.

Vince Carter's ankle
05-22-2023, 01:25 AM

How can they trade a Clippers player?

scott
05-22-2023, 01:47 AM
Maybe if the Rockets sign Harden the equation changes, but I don’t see how a case can be made today that the Spurs are worse (or in worse shape) than Houston.

Even if they sign Harden… then what? Then maybe their shit street ball team will be good enough for Harden to choke in the playoffs again? Dude is anti-clutch. Might as well have Ben Simmons on the floor.

KobesAchilles
05-22-2023, 05:29 AM
How can they trade a Clippers player?
Oh yeah I forgot they sent him there :lol

Arcadian
05-22-2023, 03:19 PM
That's very possible for next season. Not even a striking statement.

Extra Stout
05-22-2023, 03:26 PM
they’re better than Houston

I presume Barkley was counting on their getting Harden back. They may also assemble a package for KAT. That would put them ahead in 2023-24 as a 7-8 seed and completely screw them medium-to-long term.

But I guess their owner can’t stomach a full rebuild. Gotta sell tickets, even with fool’s gold.

baseline bum
05-22-2023, 03:29 PM

Do it Fertitta!

:rollin

SpursWoman
05-22-2023, 07:58 PM

Do it Fertitta!
This would be criminally insane. :lol

Obstructed_View
05-22-2023, 11:54 PM
This would be criminally insane. :lol
Agree. I sure hope Houston does it.