PDA

View Full Version : We Told You Tanking Works

BackHome
05-20-2023, 09:10 PM
For all the Tank Commanders I salute you :bobo

BatManu20
05-20-2023, 09:11 PM
I was team tank from day one, but it often doesn’t work, as there are multiple examples of teams that have been tanking for years and have very little to show for it. This franchise has just been unfathomably lucky in the 3 years we did tank. It’s insane tbh. To say we’re extremely fortunate is an understatement. Now it’s just about Wemby’s health. It all rides on that. Gotta find a way to keep this kid healthy.

Russ
05-20-2023, 09:14 PM
For all the Tank Commanders I salute you :bobo

Just be thankful the Spurs didn't lose one additional game . . .

slick'81
05-20-2023, 09:14 PM
It was painful but necessary

BacktoBasics
05-20-2023, 09:15 PM
OP hates black people

Ariel
05-20-2023, 09:19 PM
I still get a chuckle when I remember people arguing against tanking because of some hypothetical "culture" hit and the entertainment value of going after the play in... :lol

spursparker9
05-20-2023, 09:31 PM
Was angry when they traded all-star Murray for 3 draft picks...

But now it was actually they traded Murray for 3 draft picks + Wemby :lol:lol:lol

NickiRasgo
05-20-2023, 11:07 PM
Tell that to Pistons and Rockets fans. :lol

baseline bum
05-20-2023, 11:13 PM
Tell that to Pistons and Rockets fans. :lol

Piston fan got the #1 pick from it three years ago.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-20-2023, 11:13 PM
POP the undisputed GOATanker

KingKev
05-21-2023, 07:58 AM
This tank was perfectly executed and ai hope we are still in the lottery next year. Any conspiracist Spurs fan who thinks the NBA is out to get the Spurs is brain dead.

Spursfanfromafar
05-21-2023, 08:00 AM
Tanking works when you tank for Victor Wembanyama. Not always!

Sugus
05-21-2023, 08:02 AM
This tank was perfectly executed and ai hope we are still in the lottery next year. Any conspiracist Spurs fan who thinks the NBA is out to get the Spurs is brain dead.

That's weird, I thought PATFO was gonna fuck it up down the stretch? What happened with that?

NickiRasgo
05-21-2023, 09:06 AM

Yeah but it's not always the case it just happen that the #1 pick fell to the Spurs this year.
Since the odds has been changed since 2019, worst record team haven't won the #1 pick and there's atleast 1 or 2 teams with a 14% odds dropping from the Top 3.

JPB
05-21-2023, 09:12 AM

And they were still the worst team in the NBA 3 years later.

JPB
05-21-2023, 09:14 AM
I mean, for sure tanking works if you luck into a generational player, with 0.43% chance to do so in the grand scheme of things.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 09:22 AM

And they’ve been in the bottom 3 teams the last two years. Some payoff. You have to tank in the right season, and more important, you have to buck those 86% odds of losing.

slick'81
05-21-2023, 09:49 AM
We were lucky as fck! But nobody here is complaining :lobt2:

KobesAchilles
05-21-2023, 10:18 AM
This was the year to tank. You just gotta be smart about it. You don’t take when there isn’t generational talent available. Also there are a lot of people here calling out others and trying to get them to eat crow when they themselves were anti-tank. I get it I guess. Years of being wrong and now they are feeling themselves a bit.

thiste
05-21-2023, 10:29 AM

Just be thankful the Spurs lost the coin toss . . . :lol

KingKev
05-21-2023, 10:36 AM
That's weird, I thought PATFO was gonna fuck it up down the stretch? What happened with that?

If they were in the play-in race down the stretch that was a material threat.

John B
05-21-2023, 11:36 AM

I don’t believe the lottery is rigged. But where do you put a 19 yrs old International player, still his body needs to be developed somewhat, and the best prospect in 20 years? It has to be the Spurs. I like to think that the Spurs had a wink wink deal, if they could get the records in the bottom 3 without being too obvious, then the NBA would take care of the rest.

slick'81
05-21-2023, 11:47 AM
I don’t believe the lottery is rigged. But where do you put a 19 yrs old International player, still his body needs to be developed somewhat, and the best prospect in 20 years? It has to be the Spurs. I like to think that the Spurs had a wink wink deal, if they could get the records in the bottom 3 without being too obvious, then the NBA would take care of the rest.

That or wemby was like i want sa

Fireball
05-21-2023, 12:22 PM
we got Wemby ... Lakers down 0-3 ... good times indeed :flag::bobo

John B
05-21-2023, 12:34 PM
we got Wemby ... Lakers down 0-3 ... good times indeed :flag::bobo

You forgot Dubs out too, closing their window of tieing Timmy’s ring count. Good times indeed :bobo

cd98
05-21-2023, 02:09 PM
I don’t want to jinx anything. I hope Wemby is awesome, but I’m keeping my expectations low. I was all in on tanking. And I’d have been happy with a top 3 pick even if we didn’t get the first pick. That said, I’m not counting our rings. You never know what a player will be until he proves it in the NBA. And we will definitely need to manage the rest of our assets before we can get to contender status. But if Wemby is great, then we have tons of pieces to surround him with top talent.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 02:20 PM
The Spurs and their fans knew this fact 25 years ago.

Fireball
05-21-2023, 02:42 PM
You forgot Dubs out too, closing their window of tieing Timmy’s ring count. Good times indeed :bobo

you are right ... I want Jokic to win it all but if its the Heat or even Celtics it is fine as well. Hopefully the Warriors are done now ...

Ariel
05-21-2023, 02:42 PM
I mean, for sure tanking works if you luck into a generational player, with 0.43% chance to do so in the grand scheme of things.
This is the 4th tanking year for Detroit, with the following breakdown:

2020:

Pick: 7th (record tied for 4th worst, 1 game removed from 2nd worst)
Took: Kyllian Hayes (passed on Haliburton, Vassell, Desmond Bane, Tyrese Maxey, Jaden McDaniels)

2021:

Pick: 1st (2nd worst record)
Took: Cunningham (passed on Mobley, Franz Wagner, Scottie Barnes, Josh Giddey. There was a rumor OKC was offering SGA for #1, don't know if true)

2022:

Pick: 5th (3rd worst record)
Took: Ivey (alternatives: Sochan, Sharpe, Mathurin, Walker Kessler, Jalen Williams)

2023:

Pick: 5th (worst record)
Likely available: Cam Whitmore, Taylor Hendricks, Anthony Black, Thompsons (I'd avoid them)

Though they could have had a little bit extra luck, I'd say overall it wasn't their tanking strategy that failed, but rather very poor execution.
In the past 3 drafts (picks (7, 1, 5) they came away with Hayes (colossal bust), Cunningham (clearly not best available) and Ivey (more flashy than effective, though I'd have made the same mistake in their shoes).
However, they could have come away with Haliburton, Mobley (or SGA?) and Mathurin/Sochan. Throw in Cam Whitmore (my choice for them) and they'd be a pretty well rounded and competitive team, with lots of talent.
Point being, no amount of tanking will suffice if you don't pick wisely, and their choices were definitely suboptimal.

lefty20
05-21-2023, 03:16 PM
.43% of the time, it works every time.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-21-2023, 03:57 PM
Meh….Spurs fans just need to thank the lottery gods and move humbly along.

If we’d of come up 4th or 5th it would have delayed the rebuild considerably. Tanking can work, and you need some luck in your favor.

A long way to go for relevance though, even as fortunate as this turned out for the Spurs.

JPB
05-21-2023, 04:04 PM

2020:

Took: Kyllian Hayes (passed on Haliburton, Vassell, Desmond Bane, Tyrese Maxey, Jaden McDaniels)

2021:

Took: Cunningham (passed on Mobley, Franz Wagner, Scottie Barnes, Josh Giddey. There was a rumor OKC was offering SGA for #1, don't know if true)

2022:

Took: Ivey (alternatives: Sochan, Sharpe, Mathurin, Walker Kessler, Jalen Williams)

2023:

Likely available: Cam Whitmore, Taylor Hendricks, Anthony Black, Thompsons (I'd avoid them)

Though they could have had a little bit extra luck, I'd say overall it wasn't their tanking strategy that failed, but rather very poor execution.
In the past 3 drafts (picks (7, 1, 5) they came away with Hayes (colossal bust), Cunningham (clearly not best available) and Ivey (more flashy than effective, though I'd have made the same mistake in their shoes).
However, they could have come away with Haliburton, Mobley (or SGA?) and Mathurin/Sochan. Throw in Cam Whitmore (my choice for them) and they'd be a pretty well rounded and competitive team, with lots of talent.
Point being, no amount of tanking will suffice if you don't pick wisely, and their choices were definitely suboptimal.

Maybe they could have been better but even Haliburton/Mobley/Sochan/Cam lacks that superstar power that brings you over the top (Jokic, giannis, Luka, prime Steph...) And you find yourself with a bunch of prospects who don't really make a team in a wrong environment to develop like SA actually this year or Houston... Reason why I'd really like SA to bring some vet presence next year, at PG ideally.

Tanking really works if you can luck into a (potential) generational player. Other than that, you heavily depends on scouting, making the right choices and probably luck too... If you remove Wemby this year, SA would have found themselves with Scoot, Miller, Amen, Cam..., not game changers/franchise players to add tho the current roster if you ask me, and probalby tanking another year or two.

Seventyniner
05-21-2023, 06:58 PM
I just thought of another anti tanking idea for the league: the team with the worst record gets no ping pong balls at all and picks 14th. The 2nd/3rd/4th best teams get 140 combos, 5th gets 125, etc.

That would make teams fight like hell to stay out of last. Maybe exempt a team from getting this punishment two years in a row by hitting the 2nd worst team with this if the last place team is the same as the year before.

This admittedly isn't very well thought out. What glaring flaws am I missing?

Dex
05-21-2023, 07:22 PM
I reluctantly joined the tank-wagon as it became apparent there was no better course.

I still did not believe it would end up with us getting the first pick. I expected us to get screwed and end up with a lower pick. I really did not think the lottery gods would bless us again...but they did.

I also do believe there is still a lot of work to be done. This is a great first step, but hopefully fans and posters will pump the brakes on any championship expectations the next year or two just because we have Wemby.

That said...should be a hell of a lot easier to sell tickets now. I'm sure the sales agents in the ticket office were yelling and screaming just like I was.

Dex
05-21-2023, 07:25 PM
I just thought of another anti tanking idea for the league: the team with the worst record gets no ping pong balls at all and picks 14th. The 2nd/3rd/4th best teams get 140 combos, 5th gets 125, etc.

That would make teams fight like hell to stay out of last. Maybe exempt a team from getting this punishment two years in a row by hitting the 2nd worst team with this if the last place team is the same as the year before.

It would definitely create some competition for people trying to outright tank to earn the worst record, but teams would still find a way to jockey for position for the 2nd worst spot and then the team who ends up last would be royally screwed. That would suck to suffer a terrible, terrible season (whether intentionally or by circumstance) and your reward is the 14th pick)

Hell, I still feel kinda bad for Detroit fans who had to endure last season and ended up with #5 (but I'll get over it, because it had to happen for us to get Wemby)

K...
05-21-2023, 07:33 PM
they should do a mini 4 team tourney single elim, winner gets first, second, 3rd and 4rth go by record. would show who is fake tanking.

CorrectCrusader
05-21-2023, 07:34 PM
We've come a long way. Been a rough several years.
https://i.imgur.com/vVyN94s.jpg

CorrectCrusader
05-21-2023, 07:34 PM
they should do a mini 4 team tourney single elim, winner gets first, second, 3rd and 4rth go by record. would show who is fake tanking.

I like this idea but I'm sure there would be ways to cheat this.

TD 21
05-21-2023, 09:26 PM

2020:

2021:

2022:

2023:

Most of this comes down to luck . . .

Hayes: I wouldn't have selected him even at the time, but there was a school of thought that he was higher ceiling/lower floor and that Haliburton was lower ceiling/higher floor. For a team just starting a re-build, the logic was sound.

Cunningham: I probably would have went Mobley, but with the obsession with big wing/forward sized initiators, the former was universally considered #1 and it's still too early to rule out his being a top 2 player in the draft.

Ivey: Considered a virtual no brainer as an ideal theoretical fit next to Cunningham and was considered the consensus #4. Obviously way too early to draw conclusions.

In the end, the most likely outcome is that they blew a 7th pick. It happens. Teams have done far worse. They're still likely to come away with two cornerstone players, it's just a question of what their ceiling is.

scott
05-22-2023, 01:40 AM

I don’t think this is the right structure, because sometimes shit happens and a team just has a really terrible year. I do think, however, the league needs a way to punish chronic tankers. Though it was explicitly so, the outcome for Detroit this year is the kind of outcome I would try to structure it around. If you finish in the Bottom 4 for 3 consecutive years, you automatically get the worst draft position possible given your ranking (for Detroit, that happens to be #5). In this hypothetical structure, the Rockets would have been automatically been punished with #6.

I think that is the cleanest, easiest way to do it.

scott
05-22-2023, 01:44 AM

2020:

2021:

2022:

2023:

I seem to recall Cade being the overwhelming consensus #1 that year, am I remember right?

Honestly, a core of Cade, Ivey, Cam and Duren sounds pretty exciting. Kind of reminds of me of the 2003-05 Pistons that won a chip and then took us to 7. No clear cut superstar.

tbdog
05-22-2023, 02:48 AM

Or won the coin toss?