PDA

View Full Version : Sochan most likely want start but will finish

C-Dub
05-21-2023, 06:17 PM
Sochan may be in line for a 6th man role this coming season. He may not start the game but he will average more minutes per game than Tre Jones and will be out there with the starters minus Tre to finish games. I don't see him having a problem with this move since he already took on this role in college even though he was Baylor's best player. This season probable lineup with minutes per game in parentheses:

Tre (26mpg), 6th man, Wesley
Vassell (33mpg), 6th man, Brannan
Keldon (34mpg), 6th man, McBucket
VicYama(30mpg), 6th man, Mamu
Collins, (34mpg), 6th man, Bassey
6th man = Sochan (28mpg)

Sochan will be the 1st player off the bench no matter the situation. He's the only player that can seamlessly be inserted into the lineup, no matter the situation, no matter who's in foul trouble. Jack of all trades type of player. Blake, Champagne, Barlow, Dieng, and 2023 2nd round draft pick will round out the 3rd string unit. KBD, Langford, and Graham want be on the roster this upcoming season.

lebomb
05-21-2023, 06:25 PM
No, Sochan will start period.

KobesAchilles
05-21-2023, 06:28 PM
No, Sochan will start period.
The dude better learn to shoot as well as he trolls online or else he’s a bench player. We have our franchise player now and he better find his fit with Victor.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 06:43 PM
He's the best defender, he's the best passer, and not starting him is such a smoothbrain idea that I'm afraid Pop will do it.

Dhbsr555
05-21-2023, 06:43 PM
Sochan will start

C-Dub
05-21-2023, 06:49 PM
He will not start because of roster construction but he will for sure play starter minutes.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 06:51 PM
Sochan starts.

C-Dub
05-21-2023, 07:01 PM
He will eventually start after VicYama start playing the center position after a year or 2

benefactor
05-21-2023, 07:06 PM
Here come the greys out of the woods...wandering in

benefactor
05-21-2023, 07:14 PM
So because we hit the lotto with Wemby we are putting our 2022 lottery pick on the bench. Lmao.

CGD
05-21-2023, 07:31 PM
He starts, but they sure as hell will need shooters in the SL if he does. You could make the case for Devante Graham over Tre to start for that reason.

Tougher issue will be moving Keldon to the bench, where I think he would be best suited.

C-Dub
05-21-2023, 07:32 PM
Ginoboli was the 2nd best player ans and he came off the bench. It's not about who starts but who finish. Sochan most likely will be the Spurs 2nd most valuable player after VicYama. He will eventually start and is good enough to start this upcoming season. He will come off the bench as a 6th man playing starter minutes for the benefit of team right now, not forever.

K...
05-21-2023, 07:34 PM
its going to blow your minds when wenby plays SF his whole career

exstatic
05-21-2023, 07:36 PM
Ginoboli was the 2nd best player ans and he came off the bench. It's not about who starts but who finish. Sochan most likely will be the Spurs 2nd most valuable player after VicYama. He will eventually start and is good enough to start this upcoming season. He will come off the bench as a 6th man playing starter minutes for the benefit of team right now, not forever.

Ginobili was a 57th pick that nobody cared about. That’s why he came off the bench. A top 10 lottery pick coming off the bench can only be seen as a failure.

K...
05-21-2023, 07:43 PM
Ginobili was a 57th pick that nobody cared about. That’s why he came off the bench. A top 10 lottery pick coming off the bench can only be seen as a failure.

but if harden did it, okd would've..........alas your mostly right though

couchman
05-21-2023, 07:44 PM
Hot take prediction time!

K...
05-21-2023, 07:51 PM
i do wonder. KJ has kind of been prognosticated as a bench rotation guy on a good team. Except he was told to be the man last year and it might be hard to get him to role back happily knowing it'll hurt his career income. one reason to start KJ over sochan is to trade KJ this year. other than that sochan is more important for our future as KJ is a tweener playing at wemby's position.

CGD
05-21-2023, 08:20 PM
i do wonder. KJ has kind of been prognosticated as a bench rotation guy on a good team. Except he was told to be the man last year and it might be hard to get him to role back happily knowing it'll hurt his career income. one reason to start KJ over sochan is to trade KJ this year. other than that sochan is more important for our future as KJ is a tweener playing at wemby's position.

Keldon will need to move to the bench either here or at his next team. They might start him at the beginning of the season, but I think it’s not too long before he’s moved to sixth man extraordinaire

mo7888
05-21-2023, 08:34 PM
Sochan is going to start. Keldon will be the 6th man unless we move him in a package beforehand.

Mnky
05-21-2023, 08:41 PM
its going to blow your minds when wenby plays SF his whole career

No idea why people keep trying to make him a Big. He's a perimeter player. It's already leaked that spurs will be targeting center and Power forward veterans in Free agency.

Sochan also plays like a guard as well but doesn't need to. He can play 1-5, but he's also a perimeter player. People need to let go of the past already. It's a new game.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 08:43 PM
Manu came off the bench because Michael Finley was literal shit if he wasn't starting.

Mr. Body
05-21-2023, 08:47 PM
I'm not convinced Sochan will start. Either he or Keldon likely needs to come off the bench. Will try both to see what works.

As for team organization Collins is the big, Wembanyama one of the two wings. You can consider him either a SF or PF.

exstatic
05-21-2023, 08:52 PM
Manu came off the bench because Michael Finley was literal shit if he wasn't starting.

Manu came off the bench because Hedo Turkoglu was literal shit if he wasn’t starting.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2023, 08:54 PM
Yeah I think Vassell should come off the bench too.

The Truth #6
05-21-2023, 09:21 PM
Zollins
Wemby
KJ
Vassel
Sochan

Wasn’t that lineup suggested by Timvp?

Mugen
05-21-2023, 09:23 PM
Just bring Tre off the bench. I don't think Sochan or Keldon are going to come off the bench tbh.

Mr. Body
05-21-2023, 09:34 PM
Just bring Tre off the bench. I don't think Sochan or Keldon are going to come off the bench tbh.

Sochan as point? I don't see that, and I don't think you want him defending guards constantly. He's not strong enough a ballhandler. His huge advantage is when players his size guard him. Unless you want to play Vassell as point and I don't think that's best, either.

EricB
05-21-2023, 09:38 PM
Bring Keldon off the bench, will score and be primary focus against other team’s bench yada yada yada. Works for Keldon like it worked for Manu.

TD 21
05-21-2023, 09:42 PM
I don't get what's so difficult for people to grasp about starting two centers and having (theoretically) one of your five best players coming off the bench considering this franchise did both of those things simultaneously for many seasons.

There's no way Collins is exceeding mid-high 20s mpg, but as you said, Sochan will still get similar minutes as to when he started and will often close. Sometimes it'll be as the nominal PG, other times it'll be at PF, with Wembanyama sliding up to C.

Graham, if he's back, will likely be on the fringe of the rotation. I expect Branham and Sochan to do most of the 2nd unit initiating.

C-Dub
05-21-2023, 09:45 PM
That's right. Sochan will close games in lieu of Tre. Sochan and Vassell will handle most Point Gaurd duties to close the game.

Atl Spur
05-21-2023, 10:18 PM
Sochan is going to start. Keldon will be the 6th man unless we move him in a package beforehand.

I agree. He and malaki would be great off the bench

offset formation
05-21-2023, 11:32 PM
He's the best defender, he's the best passer, and not starting him is such a smoothbrain idea that I'm afraid Pop will do it.

Id normally agree but in Sochan's case, I think Pop took a liking to him and his effort/attitude. If not hed be benching his ass like he did Davis Bertans for getting into scrums on the court.

scott
05-22-2023, 01:49 AM
KJ and Bran off the bench would seem to give us the most firepower for a second unit. Wemby and Dev as your top two options for the first unit, with KJ and Bran for the second team.

tbdog
05-22-2023, 02:46 AM
Depends, Spurs could target grant Williams to pair and grow with wemba

exstatic
05-22-2023, 03:00 AM

:vomit:

Proxy
05-22-2023, 03:02 AM
Can't imagine a serious starting lineup without Jeremy, Wemby, and Devin

KJ feels like the 'spark off the bench 6th man/game finisher option'

this discussion in itself feels like some people are expecting the team to contend and go 'win now' mode. Wemby obv needs to physically adjust to the nba grind first, so what's the point of stressing about which starter-caliber player takes the 6th man role? (won't be sochan)

Atl Spur
05-22-2023, 07:19 AM
Can't imagine a serious starting lineup without Jeremy, Wemby, and Devin

KJ feels like the 'spark off the bench 6th man/game finisher option'

this discussion in itself feels like some people are expecting the team to contend and go 'win now' mode. Wemby obv needs to physically adjust to the nba grind first, so what's the point of stressing about which starter-caliber player takes the 6th man role? (won't be sochan)

We aren’t tanking this season bro….. if that’s considered win now to you. Time to get back to playing ball; there to much buzz surrounding the team.

Atl Spur
05-22-2023, 07:20 AM

No grant williams for me, to small.

mo7888
05-22-2023, 07:25 AM
No grant williams for me, to small.

I do wonder what his market will be though and will costing them game 2 by motivating Butler like that effect it. I feel like he's going to be overpaid somewhere, but I wouldn't be opposed to him as a role player off then bench on a reasonable deal.

John B
05-22-2023, 07:46 AM
Jeremy starts. You don’t draft a top 9 and bring him to the bench after a successful rookie season. With the current roster and after drafting Wemby :lol, I think they will go with Sochan, Vassell, Johnson, Wemby and Collins as starting line-up. It coukd change if they opted to bring in a more natural PG like Anthony Black (I hope), then move Sochan to his natural PF position and slide Wemby to SF.

I like Keldon. But I think he’s the odd-man out if ever.

BackHome
05-22-2023, 08:58 AM
We aren’t tanking this season bro….. if that’s considered win now to you. Time to get back to playing ball; there to much buzz surrounding the team.

Ahh I remember people saying the same thing at the beginning of this season and now look we got the number 1 pick.

Now I agree that we are not going to be as bad as we were last season but we still not a good team and Wemby is going to take time. People need to slow there roll thinking we’re going to win a championship in a year or two and as far as number 1 pick no player comes in at just totally dominates there first year only player who has done that in the last 20 years was Lebron and he was built like a LB coming out of High School.

I think this new year we will be better if we stay healthy probably get pick 10 to 15 if we get hit with the injury bug I can see us in the 6 - 10 range. We all know Pop is going to be a mad scientist the next season and every time Wemby has even the slightest injury he going to sit his butt down immediately and probably for a couple of games. So people need to lower there expectations and just enjoy the process

BackHome
05-22-2023, 09:06 AM
Jeremy starts. You don’t draft a top 9 and bring him to the bench after a successful rookie season. With the current roster and after drafting Wemby :lol, I think they will go with Sochan, Vassell, Johnson, Wemby and Collins as starting line-up. It coukd change if they opted to bring in a more natural PG like Anthony Black (I hope), then move Sochan to his natural PF position and slide Wemby to SF.

I like Keldon. But I think he’s the odd-man out if ever.

Question do you see Sochan as someone who can be play SF or do you think Wemby is a better fit? Either way Sochan is definitely closing games one thing that “Dejaunte” is always saying is that the league is going to position less so roles need to be open and fluid.

poopbox
05-22-2023, 09:45 AM
Our starting pg tbh :lol

Atl Spur
05-22-2023, 09:52 AM
Ahh I remember people saying the same thing at the beginning of this season and now look we got the number 1 pick.

Now I agree that we are not going to be as bad as we were last season but we still not a good team and Wemby is going to take time. People need to slow there roll thinking we’re going to win a championship in a year or two and as far as number 1 pick no player comes in at just totally dominates there first year only player who has done that in the last 20 years was Lebron and he was built like a LB coming out of High School.

I think this new year we will be better if we stay healthy probably get pick 10 to 15 if we get hit with the injury bug I can see us in the 6 - 10 range. We all know Pop is going to be a mad scientist the next season and every time Wemby has even the slightest injury he going to sit his butt down immediately and probably for a couple of games. So people need to lower there expectations and just enjoy the process

Let draft and free agency play out; I’d be hard pressed to believe we throw games this year…..

John B
05-22-2023, 10:04 AM
Question do you see Sochan as someone who can be play SF or do you think Wemby is a better fit? Either way Sochan is definitely closing games one thing that “Dejaunte” is always saying is that the league is going to position less so roles need to be open and fluid.

I think Wemby plays SF until he gets NBA strong and slowly transition him to PF. Both are nimble with their feet so I see them playing both SF/PF depends on match-up.

Spurs have been playing position-less moving the ball. But when plays slow down, especially in the playoffs, you’re stuck with a mismatch. But I don’t see that with the current roster, except in the C position where we are a little thin, but Spurs have plenty of help-defense especially with Wemby coming, so that too should not be a big concern I hope.

TDomination
05-22-2023, 10:25 AM

this

TDomination
05-22-2023, 11:06 AM
i personally would like to see: Tre, Vassell, Sochan, Wemby, Collins as the Starters.
Tre is a good ball handler and a decent finisher and has improved on his shot. I like this lineup for defensive purposes too. I want this team to be top 10 defense and with Wemby and Sochan i believe they can be.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 11:21 AM
Jones
Vassell
Keldon
Sochan
Wembanyama

That should be the starting lineup if no significant move is made. Collins could start in place of Sochan, but I don't see the point of stunting the development of a top 10 pick by making him a bench guy, when he can pair Wemby on the froncourt just as much as Collins.

P/S: stop forcing the Sochan at PG narrative. He doesn't have the tools to be an effective full-time PG and he never will. Shoehorning him into that position will only hinder his efficiency and will hurt the offensive output of the team in general. You could get away with it last season because we were shamessly tanking. This next season is time to start building a winning culture for the future in a serious manner.

exstatic
05-22-2023, 11:22 AM
Jones
Vassell
Keldon
Sochan
Wembanyama

That should be the starting lineup if no significant move is made. Collins could start in place of Sochan, but I don't see the point of stunting the development of a top 10 pick by making him a bench guy, when he can pair Wemby on the froncourt just as much as Collins.

P/S: stop forcing the Sochan at PG narrative. He doesn't have the tools to be an effective full-time PG and he never will. Shoehorning him into that position will only hinder his efficiency and will hurt the offensive output of the team in general. You could get away with it last season because we were shamessly tanking. This next season is time to start building a winning culture for the future in a serious manner.

You're locked in a box of traditional basketball positions. Sochan can't be a PG because he's 6'9" and we need him to play PF. Wemby is a C because he's 7'4".

DAF86
05-22-2023, 11:32 AM
You're locked in a box of traditional basketball positions. Sochan can't be a PG because he's 6'9" and we need him to play PF. Wemby is a C because he's 7'4".

Where in that post did I talk about height? The problem isn't that Sochan can't play PG because he's 6'9", he can't play PG because he doesn't have the skills for it. Simple as that. He doesn't have the ball-habdling of a PG, he doesn't have the first step of a PG, he doesn't have the shot creation of a PG, he can't shoot. Among many other things.

Lebron is 6'9" and he would make a great PG.

Sochan isn't Lebron. Sochan is more on the mold of a Draymond Green or Bam Adebayo. Good secondary ball-handlers/playmakers, that work great on that role, but that if you made them full-time PGs would struggle mightly.

And in the case of Wembanyama it is the same. Sure, you can play him as a forward if you want, but you will be taking away all the things that make him a matchup nightmare. Folks wanting him to play more as a Durant than a Jokic are fatally mistaken on what makes Wemby a great prospect.

Wemby can shoot a bit FOR A CENTER. He averages 28% from 3 on FIBA sized 3 pt line. That's not a Durant that you can constantly have on the perimeter taking jumpshots.

Wemby can dribble the ball a bit FOR A CENTER. He turns the ball a lot as it is, imagine having him constantly on the perimeter.

Wemby can move his feet laterally a bit FOR A CENTER. If you have him constantly guarding opossing forwards on the perimeter he will get burned more times than not.

Make no mistake about it, Wemby's biggest strength is his ungodly length, and the way to make the most of that is to play him at center.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-22-2023, 01:15 PM
Where in that post did I talk about height? The problem isn't that Sochan can't play PG because he's 6'9", he can't play PG because he doesn't have the skills for it. Simple as that. He doesn't have the ball-habdling of a PG, he doesn't have the first step of a PG, he doesn't have the shot creation of a PG, he can't shoot. Among many other things.

Lebron is 6'9" and he would make a great PG.

Sochan isn't Lebron. Sochan is more on the mold of a Draymond Green or Bam Adebayo. Good secondary ball-handlers/playmakers, that work great on that role, but that if you made them full-time PGs would struggle mightly.

And in the case of Wembanyama it is the same. Sure, you can play him as a forward if you want, but you will be taking away all the things that make him a matchup nightmare. Folks wanting him to play more as a Durant than a Jokic are fatally mistaken on what makes Wemby a great prospect.

Wemby can shoot a bit FOR A CENTER. He averages 28% from 3 on FIBA sized 3 pt line. That's not a Durant that you can constantly have on the perimeter taking jumpshots.

Wemby can dribble the ball a bit FOR A CENTER. He turns the ball a lot as it is, imagine having him constantly on the perimeter.

Wemby can move his feet laterally a bit FOR A CENTER. If you have him constantly guarding opossing forwards on the perimeter he will get burned more times than not.

Make no mistake about it, Wemby's biggest strength is his ungodly length, and the way to make the most of that is to play him at center.

Prepare to be disappointed. They have already said that they are going to start him at the 4 as his game and body develops.

spurraider21
05-22-2023, 01:20 PM
Prepare to be disappointed. They have already said that they are going to start him at the 4 as his game and body develops.
while i believe this is the likely outcome, when did the spurs say wemby will start at the 4? they havent even formally acknowledged that he will be the pick

DAF86
05-22-2023, 01:21 PM

It doesn't worry me because at the end of the day I know Wemby will inevitably end up as the center of the team.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 01:24 PM
This reminded me of the time I argued against Keldon being a PF. Everybody and their mother argued here that he should play there, the Spurs even played him there. What did end up happening? He's a SF now. Time puts everything on its place.

exstatic
05-22-2023, 02:38 PM
It doesn't worry me because at the end of the day I know Wemby will inevitably end up as the center of the team.

5+ years down the road? Sure. Not now, though. I'm convinced that Wemby's unicorn analog, Porzingod (7'3" 230 pre-draft), was destroyed by injuries caused by playing center early in his career. Only now, when teams are moving him to the perimeter is he getting back above 65 games/30 minutes. It took 4 years, including one missed season.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 02:43 PM
5+ years down the road? Sure. Not now, though. I'm convinced that Wemby's unicorn analog, Porzingod (7'3" 230 pre-draft), was destroyed by injuries caused by playing center early in his career. Only now, when teams are moving him to the perimeter is he getting back above 65 games/30 minutes. It took 4 years, including one missed season.

Wemby will be finishing games at C as soon as next season. By the time the Spurs are back in contention (which I hope it won't take 5 years) Wemby will be playing center full time, 'cause that's where he will be at his most effective.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-22-2023, 02:57 PM
while i believe this is the likely outcome, when did the spurs say wemby will start at the 4? they havent even formally acknowledged that he will be the pick

Apparently that is what he and his club want and was what he got his clubs in France to agree to. I could have sworn I saw it for the Spurs too but I am wrong. Youre right about the Spurs they have been mum.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-22-2023, 02:58 PM
Wemby will be finishing games at C as soon as next season. By the time the Spurs are back in contention (which I hope it won't take 5 years) Wemby will be playing center full time, 'cause that's where he will be at his most effective.

He doesn't want to play center. He wants to play power forward. He says he wants to let his body put on weight naturally. So maybe when he is into his 20s a bit.

exstatic
05-22-2023, 03:01 PM

In a piece of gigantic stupid fuckery, the NBA has prohibited them from saying the obvious, that Wemby will be their pick. Nevertheless, he will be, and they've been planning for this for months, just in case. Word is percolating out from their FO.

Proxy
05-22-2023, 04:03 PM

Nah I didn't say tank, I don't think we'll tank. But I think Wemby will get controlled minutes to prioritize his long term health.

"Win now" in my mind is using all that cap space, signing veterans, playing the starters heavy minutes, etc

Baillol
05-22-2023, 04:56 PM
If off the bench who's our sg? 30% Branham?

exstatic
05-22-2023, 05:25 PM
If off the bench who's our sg? 30% Branham?

Kevin Durant shot 28.8% as a rookie. Good shooters eventually figure it out. His shot so pure, and coupled with his 83% FTs, I have a hard time not seeing him eventually be a 40% 3 point shooter.

baseline bum
05-22-2023, 05:35 PM
Spurs are probably going to need to trade Keldon because I can't imagine he's going to be happy with a bench role when he's still a young player trying to make a name for himself in this league. Sucks to do but Sochan is too good a prospect to hinder with a move to the bench, especially after seeing the way he learned and developed from a DeAndre Jordan level FT shooter to a Sean Elliott level FT shooter over the course of a season. Though that would definitely necessitate adding a PG who can shoot the three.

TD 21
05-22-2023, 06:06 PM
:lmao At people thinking entering most halves (he'll still likely occasionally start even if everyone is available due to matchups) approximately 6 minutes in, is going to "stunt Sochan's development" . . . because it really held back that Ginobili guy.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 06:21 PM
He doesn't want to play center. He wants to play power forward. He says he wants to let his body put on weight naturally. So maybe when he is into his 20s a bit.

He says that but he already plays as a center in France, so it really doesn't matter what he says.

TD 21
05-22-2023, 06:24 PM
Supposedly, like Duncan, he doesn't have a problem playing C so much as being put in the traditional box of one.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 06:25 PM
:lmao At people thinking entering most halves (he'll still likely occasionally start even if everyone is available due to matchups) approximately 6 minutes in, is going to "stunt Sochan's development" . . . because it really held back that Ginobili guy.

When you start on the bench, you inevitably play less minutes per game than if you were starting. Playing less minutes per game prevents you from developing at the rate you would be developing getting starters minutes.

baseline bum
05-22-2023, 06:27 PM

Manu was 29 and already a star by the time he went to the bench.

TD 21
05-22-2023, 06:27 PM
When you start on the bench, you inevitably play less minutes per game than if you were starting. Playing less minutes per game prevents you from developing at the rate you would be developing getting starters minutes.

Nah. Wembanyama is probably looking at around 30 mpg and Collins mid-high 20s mpg and I'd be surprised if either exceeds 70 games.

That leaves plenty of opportunity for Sochan to play mid-high 20s mpg himself, which is fine. He's not some elite prospect (not every good/pedigreed prospect starts, even for re-building teams) and virtually everything from now on should be based on what's best for Wembanyama.

Manu was 29 and already a star by the time he went to the bench.

I'm well aware. The point stands.

tonight...you
05-22-2023, 06:49 PM
Nah. Wembanyama is probably looking at around 30 mpg and Collins mid-high 20s mpg and I'd be surprised if either exceeds 70 games.

That leaves plenty of opportunity for Sochan to play mid-high 20s mpg himself, which is fine. He's not some elite prospect (not every good/pedigreed prospect starts, even for re-building teams) and virtually everything from now on should be based on what's best for Wembanyama.

The point that 29 year old, fully developed Manu wasn't held back from developing more by being on the bench so Sochan should be held in the same category in that respect?
Interesting point.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 06:50 PM

Sochan averaged 26 mpg on his rookie season, common sense dictates he should play considerable more minutes on his sophomore year if he were to develop as expected. I think 30 mpg should be the minimum to expect from him minutes wise. And that will be hard to do if he watches the first 6 minutes of each half from the bench.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2023, 07:07 PM

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that is wrong. I'm also pretty sure Hedo Turkoglu didn't have anything to do with Manu going to the bench.

Manu had established himself as the second best player behind Duncan when he went to the bench, and it's because Michael Finley's ego couldn't cope with not starting. Look at when his starting numbers dropped.

I agree with you that Sochan should start, though. 100 percent. Sochan is the best Spurs rookie since Duncan, IMO.

RC_Drunkford
05-22-2023, 08:04 PM
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that is wrong. I'm also pretty sure Hedo Turkoglu didn't have anything to do with Manu going to the bench.

Manu had established himself as the second best player behind Duncan when he went to the bench, and it's because Michael Finley's ego couldn't cope with not starting. Look at when his starting numbers dropped.

I agree with you that Sochan should start, though. 100 percent. Sochan is the best Spurs rookie since Duncan, IMO.

I guess you forgot about nephew...

Obstructed_View
05-22-2023, 08:40 PM
I guess you forgot about nephew...

He wasn't drafted until three years later. Not sure what you are referring to. Did he and Finley even play on the Spurs at the same time?

EDIT: oh, you mean the best rookie thing. My bad. No, I didn't forget Kawhi. Sochan was better as a rook.

TD 21
05-22-2023, 10:42 PM
The point that 29 year old, fully developed Manu wasn't held back from developing more by being on the bench so Sochan should be held in the same category in that respect? Interesting point.

I didn't say anything about "developing". I said it didn't hold him back and it wouldn't Sochan either, like it hasn't many a player, prime, developing, etc.

Sochan averaged 26 mpg on his rookie season, common sense dictates he should play considerable more minutes on his sophomore year if he were to develop as expected. I think 30 mpg should be the minimum to expect from him minutes wise. And that will be hard to do if he watches the first 6 minutes of each half from the bench.

One, it's rare nowadays to have an entire rotation active, so again, count on Wembanyama and Collins missing x amount of games, where if Sochan is available, he can start and play around 35 or whatever minutes.

Two, even with both active, can easily still exceed 26 mpg off the bench, just like Ginobili often did. It's not rocket science.

Three, only Johnson and Vassell exceeded 30 mpg last season, so let's not pretend starting guarantees x amount of minutes.

DAF86
05-22-2023, 10:58 PM
I didn't say anything about "developing". I said it didn't hold him back and it wouldn't Sochan either, like it hasn't many a player, prime, developing, etc.

One, it's rare nowadays to have an entire rotation active, so again, count on Wembanyama and Collins missing x amount of games, where if Sochan is available, he can start and play around 35 or whatever minutes.

Two, even with both active, can easily still exceed 26 mpg off the bench, just like Ginobili often did. It's not rocket science.

Three, only Johnson and Vassell exceeded 30 mpg last season, so let's not pretend starting guarantees x amount of minutes.

It's no coincidence that the only two players that exceded 30 mpg are the two most promising ones that weren't rookies. Sochan enters that group next season, he's gonna play 30+ mpg, and no, him starting from the bench doesn't leave much room for that to happen. 6 minutes in the first half, 6 minutes in the second one. That's 12 minutes out of 48. That leaves 36 minutes. If you want Sochan to play 30 (which should be the bare minimum) that leaves you with only 3 minute breathers on the 2nd and 4th quarter each. It can be done, but doesn't seem optimal.

TD 21
05-22-2023, 11:09 PM
It's no coincidence that the only two players that exceded 30 mpg are the two most promising ones that weren't rookies. Sochan enters that group next season, he's gonna play 30+ mpg, and no, him starting from the bench doesn't leave much room for that to happen. 6 minutes in the first half, 6 minutes in the second one. That's 12 minutes out of 48. That leaves 36 minutes. If you want Sochan to play 30 (which should be the bare minimum) that leaves you with only 3 minute breathers on the 2nd and 4th quarter each. It can be done, but doesn't seem optimal.

They were also in their 3rd and 4th seasons respectively and didn't have one of the greatest prospect of all time and a fringe starter to compete with for minutes.

Why couldn't he play something like 14-15 of them final 18 minutes of each half? You also conveniently ignored the part about Wembanyama and Collins inevitably missing games and I'll add, certain matchups where he might just start for the purpose of that period.

Total minutes are more important than mpg.

tbdog
05-23-2023, 01:39 AM
I wonder if Poole and Kaminga for Johnson is on the cards.

rankingtear
05-23-2023, 02:13 AM
I wonder if Poole and Kaminga for Johnson is on the cards.

They like Poole , hate cum buckets. Trading in conference with accelerated window unlikely.

tbdog
05-23-2023, 03:57 AM
They need to get rid of Poole due to the cba.

8FOR!3
05-23-2023, 07:24 AM
I actually think Sochan will start at the 4 and Wemby the 5 but that doesn't mean Wemby will play the bulk of the minutes at the 5.

Mr. Body
05-23-2023, 07:45 AM
Has anyone mentioned that Sochan came off the bench at Baylor?

Fireball
05-23-2023, 07:47 AM
I doubt Sochan will come of the bench but if he does (and Wemby starts of course) that at least guarantees I am interested to watch all 48 minutes of a Spurs game

tonight...you
05-23-2023, 08:21 AM
Right on.

exstatic
05-23-2023, 08:56 AM
He says that but he already plays as a center in France, so it really doesn't matter what he says.

France is not the NBA.

exstatic
05-23-2023, 08:57 AM
They need to get rid of Poole due to the cba.

Poole is a baby, in addition to being mid.

Seventyniner
05-23-2023, 02:50 PM
Total minutes are more important than mpg.

This. It's technically possible for the entire roster to average 48 MPG so we shouldn't get too caught up on that metric. Especially in the context of last year's team where players high in the rotation were regularly missing games.

Cry Havoc
05-23-2023, 05:22 PM
Spurs are probably going to need to trade Keldon because I can't imagine he's going to be happy with a bench role when he's still a young player trying to make a name for himself in this league. Sucks to do but Sochan is too good a prospect to hinder with a move to the bench, especially after seeing the way he learned and developed from a DeAndre Jordan level FT shooter to a Sean Elliott level FT shooter over the course of a season. Though that would definitely necessitate adding a PG who can shoot the three.

Keldon 3
Wemby 4
Sochan 5?

C-Dub
07-19-2023, 06:35 PM
Sochan may be in line for a 6th man role this coming season. He may not start the game but he will average more minutes per game than Tre Jones and will be out there with the starters minus Tre to finish games. I don't see him having a problem with this move since he already took on this role in college even though he was Baylor's best player.

Obstructed_View
07-19-2023, 07:40 PM
Sochan may be in line for a 6th man role this coming season. He may not start the game but he will average more minutes per game than Tre Jones and will be out there with the starters minus Tre to finish games. I don't see him having a problem with this move since he already took on this role in college even though he was Baylor's best player.
And Baylor got down by so many points in the tournament that Sochan couldn't bring them back, despite playing brilliantly.

Mr. Body
07-19-2023, 09:04 PM

Sochan has a multi-skill set that works well coming off the bench and, as you point out, he's done this already. He can come in with a burst of energy and affect the game in different ways. In contrast, Keldon would suffer coming off the bench; he is maximized as a starter and his skillset works with the starters well. Probably makes sense to maximize both players this way.

Extra Stout
07-30-2023, 06:14 PM
when is sochan going to fix his teeth he’s a millionaire gotdammit

or is his snaggletooth mouth part of trying to act british

tonight...you
07-30-2023, 06:44 PM
when is sochan going to fix his teeth he’s a millionaire gotdammit

or is his snaggletooth mouth part of trying to act british
Hey! Freddie Mercury motherfucker. Dude kept his messed up mouth to stay true and sing how he sang.

Maybe not basketball related, but let Sochan be him!