PDA

View Full Version : Why did Spurs draft Cory Joseph instead of Jimmy Freaking Butler in 2011?

spursparker9
05-22-2023, 11:02 AM
:huh:huh:huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw_OUHDvVkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8XcI4fSZE

DAF86
05-22-2023, 11:08 AM
That I don't care much becuase some of these draft picks are impossible to predict. Every team in the NBA passed on Jokic, some of them twice.

What I can't understand is the folks in here that were against trading DeRozan for him when the topic was discussed here. They are probably the same folks that want to sign a Greg Ostertag type center to play alongside Wemby. :lol

objective
05-22-2023, 11:45 AM
Supposedly Cory Joseph had amazing leadership qualities. It wasn't just the Spurs who thought so, there was a poster on a Pacers forum who was known for doing draft profiles who also thought Joseph was a big time leader.

Ariel
05-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Spurs didn't do their due diligence in buying a crystal ball in advance.

Mugen
05-22-2023, 11:52 AM
CoJo has a ring, Jimmy doesn't tbh :lol

Mr. Body
05-22-2023, 11:53 AM
It took Butler a few years to actually be good. You just can't predict how that happens.

rjv
05-22-2023, 11:54 AM
actually, the spurs did get a crystal ball and it told them to be patient, win another title, lose kawhi for demar, start a rebuild and tank; so that they could eventually land wemby, which doesn't happen if they had drafted butler.

Mugen
05-22-2023, 11:54 AM
Seriously though, bringing in Nephew and Jimmy in the same offseason wouldn't have worked out tbh.

K...
05-22-2023, 11:57 AM
You mean the spurs got a 12yr vet with a late first rounder? Amazing? And a spursfan whining about missing generational talent within a week of winning the draft for a generational talent?.Nice spurstalk is back.

Ocotillo
05-22-2023, 01:09 PM
Why did Spurs draft Cory Joseph instead of Jimmy Freaking Butler in 2011?

Because the basketball gods deemed to have a plan for the team to eventually be in a position to draft Wemby in 2023.

Seriously though, they missed. It happens. Even though they missed out on Butler, they picked up an NBA point guard at the end of the first round.

NickiRasgo
05-22-2023, 01:22 PM
"Why did Spurs draft Kyle Anderson instead of Nikola Freaking Jokic in 2014?"

Point is, can't have it all.

John B
05-22-2023, 01:39 PM
I searched the 2011 thread on Jimmy Butler as draft prospect. But I couldn’t reply on the thread. I think it Tim Drunken?? who hit it on the nail saying that kid will be the steal of the draft. And ST people dissing thst the Spurs already had Danny Green, and too many SF?? already :lol

I think Spurs still won 2014 with Jimmy instead of Kawhi. People overblowing Kawhi on that series. That was a Beautiful Game, no one guy dominated. TP had the highest point average even. I’m not discounting what Kawhi did, especially his offense on LeBron. But Pop could’ve prepared Butler likewise. AND Spurs would’ve continued dominance, instead of Nephew jumping ship

The Truth #6
05-22-2023, 01:54 PM
"Why did Spurs draft Kyle Anderson instead of Nikola Freaking Jokic in 2014?"

Point is, can't have it all.

We were close. They’re both slow at least.

Chinook
05-22-2023, 01:59 PM
The draft made sense. I was a huge fan of trading for him in 2018 though, and considering what it took to get him, that was an oversight. The Spurs had a great chance to win the title with that trade btb. Butler is who Jack thinks he was.

TekXX
05-22-2023, 02:05 PM
You can't get them all right but Spurs have found their fair share of gems

JPB
05-22-2023, 02:48 PM
Did Butler dunk on Ibaka tho?

jesterbobman
05-22-2023, 03:26 PM
I mean, the Spurs have drafted for youth for almost all of their recent first round picks (last 15 years or so is basically White / Hill, Freshman or Internationals), CoJo came out as a Freshman, Butler as a Junior. Butler was a good statistical project, but not a such a great one that indicates he was secretly likely to be amazing.

Sometimes the common approach that is sensible in focusing on typical paths and development misses - I don't think you can tell who is, or is going to become an absolute psycho level competitor.

Everyone misses.

RC_Drunkford
05-22-2023, 08:28 PM
Seriously though, bringing in Nephew and Jimmy in the same offseason wouldn't have worked out tbh.

Jimmy would've probably knocked out Uncle Dennis :lol that would be a great storyline, but people here would blame him for nephew leaving

Obstructed_View
05-22-2023, 09:31 PM
Pretty sure CJ and JB were the same player the first two years. Then Jimmy blew up. Even when he was putting up great numbers I don't remember ever wanting him on my team. Then he suddenly turned into the lovechild of Derek Fisher and Tayshaun Prince, a big time, step-up-in-the-playoffs guy.

Nobody saw that coming, bro.

SpurSpike
05-22-2023, 10:33 PM
Wasn't Butler offered for Kawhi at one point?

Millennial_Messiah
05-22-2023, 10:38 PM
Oh why.... whyyyyy... dear god... Why..... why... WHY.... WHYYYYYYYYYY..........

Oh why did we trade Paul George.... ? :bang

TrueSpursFan
05-22-2023, 10:42 PM
We get jimmy, we don’t get wemby. Every decision led to this. Forget the past, look toward the future.

Twisted_Dawg
05-22-2023, 11:07 PM
Wasn't CoJo close buddies with R.C. Bufford's son at UT, and gave his dad a ringing endorsement of CoJo? Maybe TimVP has some knowledge of this.

Butler played three years at powerhouse Marquette and was a two time all Big East honorable mention. Joseph played one year at UT. Joseph has had a nice career but it was a massive miss by the Spurs.

Ice009
05-22-2023, 11:33 PM
I searched the 2011 thread on Jimmy Butler as draft prospect. But I couldn’t reply on the thread. I think it Tim Drunken?? who hit it on the nail saying that kid will be the steal of the draft. And ST people dissing thst the Spurs already had Danny Green, and too many SF?? already :lol

I think Spurs still won 2014 with Jimmy instead of Kawhi. People overblowing Kawhi on that series. That was a Beautiful Game, no one guy dominated. TP had the highest point average even. I’m not discounting what Kawhi did, especially his offense on LeBron. But Pop could’ve prepared Butler likewise. AND Spurs would’ve continued dominance, instead of Nephew jumping ship

Am I missing something here? I am sure Bulter was still on the board when the Spurs had their second 1st round pick so they could have had both Kawhi and Jimmy. You're sort of talking about it being only either-or? Are you saying that the Spurs would have kept George Hill if they went with Butler?

Edit : Also, I remember reading that the Spurs had Kawhi as their first choice and Butler as their second choice if they couldn't get Kawhi. Were they targeting Butler by trying to trade up into the first round for him like they did for Kawhi, or were they only going to go for him if he dropped to their first round pick? The point is, though, that he was still on the board as their first pick, so IMO, they should have just taken him and looked for a veteran PG instead. I know they went with CoJo because they needed to replace George Hill, but they should have just went with a vet PG and taken Jimmy at the end of the first round.

I also wanted to trade for Jimmy when he was traded from the Bulls. Don't remember the package or year it was, but I wanted him badly back then too. He wasn't the player he is now, but I still wanted him back then as I loved his competitiveness.

Philthemage
05-22-2023, 11:38 PM

Could you imagine how bad Butler would have called him out for being absently silent...

EricB
05-22-2023, 11:47 PM
Why did the Blazers not draft Michael Jordan?

why didn’t the Pistons draft Carmelo Anthony?

LakerHater
05-22-2023, 11:48 PM
been sayin that shit for YEEEARS!!!

Ice009
05-23-2023, 12:01 AM
Why did the Blazers not draft Michael Jordan?

why didn’t the Pistons draft Carmelo Anthony?

From what I read the Spurs had Jimmy Butler as their second choice behind Kawhi. This is a completely different situation to what you're on about. They could have taken their second choice behind Kawhi as he was still on the board. I know they went with CoJo because they were looking for a G. Hill replacement, but IMO they should have just taken Jimmy and looked for a veteran PG, or just wait until the following year's draft for a PG. I also don't know what Jimmy's PG skills were like back then, but maybe they could have also run him at SG/PG back then?

The Blazers didn't have the choice to draft both Bowie and Jordan and the Pistons didn't have the choice to draft both Darko and Carmelo. The Spurs had the choice to draft both Kawhi and Jimmy, and as mentioned, if I am remembering right, apparently Jimmy was their second choice behind Kawhi.

daslicer
05-23-2023, 12:14 AM
You can't be perfect every time and who knows if Jimmy stays here long term. He could have still have ultimately left to Miami. Spurs got it right it with Kawhi in the sense he did help them get the title in '14 even though everything after that fell apart.

Obstructed_View
05-23-2023, 12:22 AM
From what I read the Spurs had Jimmy Butler as their second choice behind Kawhi. This is a completely different situation to what you're on about. They could have taken their second choice behind Kawhi as he was still on the board. I know they went with CoJo because they were looking for a G. Hill replacement, but IMO they should have just taken Jimmy and looked for a veteran PG, or just wait until the following year's draft for a PG. I also don't know what Jimmy's PG skills were like back then, but maybe they could have also run him at SG/PG back then?

The Blazers didn't have the choice to draft both Bowie and Jordan and the Pistons didn't have the choice to draft both Darko and Carmelo. The Spurs had the choice to draft both Kawhi and Jimmy, and as mentioned, if I am remembering right, apparently Jimmy was their second choice behind Kawhi.
Seems like the Spurs were so thin at small forward back then that I would have been okay drafting two of them.

John B
05-23-2023, 12:47 AM
Am I missing something here? I am sure Bulter was still on the board when the Spurs had their second 1st round pick so they could have had both Kawhi and Jimmy. You're sort of talking about it being only either-or? Are you saying that the Spurs would have kept George Hill if they went with Butler?

Edit : Also, I remember reading that the Spurs had Kawhi as their first choice and Butler as their second choice if they couldn't get Kawhi. Were they targeting Butler by trying to trade up into the first round for him like they did for Kawhi, or were they only going to go for him if he dropped to their first round pick? The point is, though, that he was still on the board as their first pick, so IMO, they should have just taken him and looked for a veteran PG instead. I know they went with CoJo because they needed to replace George Hill, but they should have just went with a vet PG and taken Jimmy at the end of the first round.

I also wanted to trade for Jimmy when he was traded from the Bulls. Don't remember the package or year it was, but I wanted him badly back then too. He wasn't the player he is now, but I still wanted him back then as I loved his competitiveness.

I was actually with the rest of ST on this :lol. I didn’t have foresight to think Butler would be the player that he is now. All I wanted was they replace Bowen with a defensive catalyst, a formula I think is as important, Ninja, Bowen, Kawhi, Danny Green and now Sochan. And CoJo was a replacement to George Hill. Plus Spurs have been successful developing a late 1st round pick.

Now Scola, that’s another thing. I remember hating the PATFO for sending him to Houston. My brother-in-law is from Houston. Scola could’ve given 1-2 rings and maybe prevented Kobe’s 4th or 5th ring banging with Gasol. But anyways..

Ice009
05-23-2023, 02:17 AM
Seems like the Spurs were so thin at small forward back then that I would have been okay drafting two of them.

I didn't know it at the time that he was their second choice, as in, I didn't know he was on their radar. I think TimVP or someone mentioned it a few years later. I started liking Jimmy when he was with the Bulls as I thought he was super competitive and tough, but I didn't expect him to be what he is now. I would have been happy with the Bulls' version of Jimmy just before he was traded to Minnesota. I can't remember the trade package back then, but I really wanted the Spurs to go hard after him. Not sure if they tried or not.

I was actually with the rest of ST on this :lol. I didn’t have foresight to think Butler would be the player that he is now. All I wanted was they replace Bowen with a defensive catalyst, a formula I think is as important, Ninja, Bowen, Kawhi, Danny Green and now Sochan. And CoJo was a replacement to George Hill. Plus Spurs have been successful developing a late 1st round pick.

Now Scola, that’s another thing. I remember hating the PATFO for sending him to Houston. My brother-in-law is from Houston. Scola could’ve given 1-2 rings and maybe prevented Kobe’s 4th or 5th ring banging with Gasol. But anyways..

I didn't think Butler would be as good as he has now become, but as mentioned, I would have been happy to get the guy that played for the Bulls when he asked out. I also didn't know the Spurs actually wanted him during that draft, so when I learned that, doesn't make sense to me that they passed up on him when he was still on the board. I think we were really thin at SF back then, so could have used him as a backup SF/SG (can't remember if he could play PG back then) and PG too. They could have traded RJ much quicker too and just went with Kawhi and Jimmy, but I guess they didn't know either Kawhi or Jimmy would turn out to be the players they have become now and/or what they were to be back then too.

The Scola, thing, yeah, I don't want to talk about that. I know they thought he wouldn't be good defensively and didn't think he could start next to TD, but so what, he would have been amazing off the bench.

CGD
05-23-2023, 06:43 AM
You mean NBA champion Corey Joseph?

The amazing run aside, Jimmy was/is a nut case that didnt really get shit together until he got to Miami. Dat Heat culture tho!

RC_Drunkford
05-23-2023, 06:47 AM
You mean NBA champion Corey Joseph?

The amazing run aside, Jimmy was/is a nut case that didnt really get shit together until he got to Miami. Dat Heat culture tho!

Butler is not a nut case, he's a super competitive no-nonsense guy who has that military mindset. He'd fit Spurs culture perfectly.

JPB
05-23-2023, 07:29 AM
Butler is not a nut case, he's a super competitive no-nonsense guy who has that military mindset. He'd fit Spurs culture perfectly.

He would have asked out as soon as he could, as he requested a trade from Minnesota. It is true Butler has been a wild horse for most of his career and only calmed down in Miami, probably realizing he only had a few year left to make something out of it.

flox
05-23-2023, 07:49 AM
People in this thread acting like Jimmy wouldn't have blown up our team by getting mad at Demar or LMA and causing tons of FO chaos. A 100% pass from me. Glad we never got him on our team.

spursparker9
05-23-2023, 07:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAhKe-CsrE

Okay...maybe not :lol

Pop would waive him like he waived Captain Jack

KingKev
05-23-2023, 08:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAhKe-CsrE

Okay...maybe not :lol

Pop would waive him like he waived Captain Jack

Lol true but sometimes shit like this has to go down. There is a reason this underdog squad is about to reach the finals.

Ice009
05-23-2023, 10:29 AM
I forgot about that incident. How does the person that did the captions know what they were saying? Sometimes the player wasn't facing the camera.

Extra Stout
05-23-2023, 10:32 AM
People in this thread acting like Jimmy wouldn't have blown up our team by getting mad at Demar or LMA and causing tons of FO chaos. A 100% pass from me. Glad we never got him on our team.
Good on Spo for being able to channel that personality in a positive way.