PDA

View Full Version : 4 Down with Wemby

TDomination
05-22-2023, 12:26 PM
Will we see a case of 4-down with Wemby like we did with Tim?

Get Wemby the ball - he can then attack the basket or take the jumpshot or draw the double and pass it out

Or will it be more motion offense? everyone touch the ball and go from a good shot to a great shot regardless of whos shooting.

or perhaps a hybrid of the 2

Will be interesting to see the offense that Pop instills with Victor as the focal point.

Extra Stout
05-22-2023, 12:27 PM
He’s a 7’4” Kevin Durant. His post moves aren’t great yet. No, I don’t think they’ll do 4-down.

Spursfanfromafar
05-22-2023, 12:38 PM
Wemby is a pick and roll savant. He could either be the roll-man (he is so good at that) or the pick and pop guy (he needs to add consistency to his shooting) but what sets him apart is that he can also be the pick & roll ballhandler and drive or pull up or pass. To have a 7' 4'' guy do that would be awesome. But he is still work in progress in the ball handling thing.

The closest to a 4-down for Wemby would be an iso-play for him at the perimeter or at the nail where his go-to is either maraud to the rim or to shoot fade-aways - both of which he is quite adept at and is near un-guardable.

That said, the even more effective go-to plays for the Spurs would be to run, run and run and play a fast paced offense when Wemby, Sochan, Keldon, Jones and Vassell are on the court.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-22-2023, 12:40 PM
He’s a 7’4” Kevin Durant. His post moves aren’t great yet. No, I don’t think they’ll do 4-down.

He doesn't seem to do a lot of pnr either as the pick or the ball handler. He is going to be playing the 4 so I see him doing a lot of the pnr, dribble handoff, and horns action. When they call his number it's going to eb interesting to see what plays they have him run.

And as for his post game I would say for being 19 he has pretty decent footwork. Long way to go certainly but post talent is relatively rare in modern US prospects.

Millennial_Messiah
05-22-2023, 07:51 PM
he's too skinny to bully the fatter 5's in the NBA, even today's NBA. Even a Steven Adams or Dwayne Dedmon type would stymie him.

RC_Drunkford
05-22-2023, 08:05 PM
that Kenny Lofton guy bullied Wemby in the USA vs. France game where Wemby dominated Chet Holmgren. So yeah he would get bullied at the 5, but depends on the match up. He can easily play the 5 against a team like the Warriors. Kevon Looney won't score on him from a post up

widowmaker
05-22-2023, 08:11 PM
Good to great.

Leetonidas
05-22-2023, 08:13 PM
that Kenny Lofton guy bullied Wemby in the USA vs. France game where Wemby dominated Chet Holmgren. So yeah he would get bullied at the 5, but depends on the match up. He can easily play the 5 against a team like the Warriors. Kevon Looney won't score on him from a post up

That guy is like 300+ lbs though isnt he? :lol he would bully most dudes 1v1. Wemby by all accounts has developed a lot too since then

scott
05-22-2023, 09:17 PM
For the sake of basketball enjoyment, I sure hope not :lol

CorrectCrusader
05-23-2023, 11:02 AM
Guys like Kenny are built to destroy bigs. Fortunately for players like Wemby, the loftons of the world can't keep up with the cardio required in the NBA. Not something to worry about

lmbebo
05-23-2023, 11:06 AM
4 down is the opposite of what you wanna do with Wemby

spurraider21
05-23-2023, 11:06 AM
Guys like Kenny are built to destroy bigs. Fortunately for players like Wemby, the loftons of the world can't keep up with the cardio required in the NBA. Not something to worry about
Blair was similar tbh, but much more athletic and longer wingspan

Chinook
05-23-2023, 11:27 AM
Of course Wemby is going to have to learn how to post-up as he becomes a go-to iso scorer. It's just going to be too important to his game. But I don't think the the offense will ever be a Wemby-centric as folks as imagining. I expect him, especially early on, to still spend most possessions being the beneficiary of play-making and mostly get his own chances at creating offense by bringing rebounds up the court. I'm a firm believer that he should learn the fundamentals of finishing before he focuses on scoring, but Pop has definitely allowed players to learn that latter while still not perfecting the former. That's resulted in a number of guys who can put up numbers like Keldon, Vassell and Murray before them, while still not being able to consistently space the floor for the guys around them. A Wemby who's like a 40-percent shooter would provide unreal spacing because guys couldn't leave him at all. That could allow a guy like Sochan to start and allow Vassell to play more inside the arc, which is needs to develop his game.

exstatic
05-23-2023, 11:41 AM
4 down is the opposite of what you wanna do with Wemby

You play him the paint because he's BIG.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-23-2023, 12:37 PM
They'd be better suited going back to beautiful game with him in the Diaw spot top of the key than 4-down.

K...
05-23-2023, 01:22 PM
I was going to joke that wemby 4 down is wemby on the perimeter and 4 centers clog the paint. Wemby has the wingspan to cover the perimeter by himself and 4 centers will keep wemby from having to bang down low. Its so dumb it might work.

DAF86
05-23-2023, 03:16 PM

Even that simplified comment you invented still makes sense if you think about it. The dude has an 8'1" wingspan, of course you wanna play him inside. Or do you wanna have him roam on the perimeter all game long? :lol

Extra Stout
05-23-2023, 03:20 PM
Even that simplified comment you invented still makes sense if you think about it. The dude has an 8'1" wingspan, of course you wanna play him inside. Or do you wanna have him roam on the perimeter all game long? :lol
He looks like he’s better as a help defender inside to swat away penetrators than he is trying to guard big men who have 40-50 pounds on him.