PDA

View Full Version : Finley seeks fit in new setting

howard2
12-02-2005, 06:12 PM
San Antonio Express-News
By Johnny Ludden
Dec 1, 2005
Link: San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120105.1C.BKNspurs.finley.129ef24b.html)
{If this article was posted elsewhere, please disregard or delete.}

Finley seeks fit in new setting

DALLAS — Nearly four weeks have passed since Michael Finley made his less-than-triumphant return here.

During that time, Finley has become more comfortable with his new teammates as well as his role. His groin has healed. His nerves have calmed.

The awkwardness of playing against the Dallas Mavericks — the team he captained for much of the past decade — is gone. Even his bank account has recovered.

"Last time, I think I had to get like 40 or 50 tickets," Finley said. "This time, maybe five."

Finley can only hope tonight's visit to American Airlines Center generates less hype and more production than his previous one. Facing his former team for the first time, he missed all but one of his six shots as Dallas routed the Spurs 103-84 on Nov. 5.

Finley was given a prolonged standing ovation by the sellout crowd of 20,468 when he entered the game midway through the first quarter. He looked unsettled after the gesture and never found his rhythm. Afterward, he admitted to being anxious.

"The sight of me coming back for the first time — all that is over now," Finley said. "I can just focus on helping this team get a win."

The Spurs might require some extra assistance tonight. Manu Ginobili jammed his right ankle after landing awkwardly in the fourth quarter of Tuesday's victory over the Los Angeles Lakers. He was unable to practice Wednesday and coach Gregg Popovich called his availability a game-time decision.

Although Ginobili didn't experience much swelling around his ankle, he was sore enough to worry Popovich. Ginobili previously has had problems with the same foot.

If he can't play, Finley or Brent Barry may start in his place. With Dallas possibly starting two point guards because small forward Josh Howard is out with an ankle injury, Popovich also could choose to play Tony Parker and Nick Van Exel together.

Barry, who has missed 15 of 17 shots since returning from the inactive list, could use something to boost his confidence, and Finley said he actually would prefer not to start.

"If I'm going to be a guy coming off the bench, I want to be as comfortable with that as possible," Finley said. "I think that will give us the best chance to win. But whatever the team needs me to do, I'm willing to do."

Finley started the previous 605 games before making his debut with the Spurs this season. His transition was further slowed when he strained his groin two days after playing Dallas and missed five games.

"It's going to be a long process for me, but I'm getting more and more comfortable with it each and every game," Finley said. "By sitting on the bench, you see the game from a different perspective, so when I go in there I know what to expect.

"It's a role that I've accepted, and it's a role I need to take."

Finley already has shown a knack for making the timely basket. After missing his first 11 shots against Chicago on Nov. 7, he made his final three to help the Spurs pull out an overtime victory. He also helped curb the Lakers' comeback Tuesday with two jump shots in the fourth quarter.

Consistency, however, has eluded him. He is shooting 36.6percent while averaging 8.7 points and 3.4 rebounds in 24.9 minutes. After making a career-best 40.7 percent of his 3-pointers last season, he has made only 7 of 26 with the Spurs.

Like Barry, Terry Porter, Hedo Turkoglu and every other shooter who has joined the Spurs in recent years, Finley no longer has the luxury of squeezing off seven or eight shots before he finds his rhythm.

"I'm a guy who is used to getting 15 to 20 shots a game, but now my shots are coming more sporadic," Finley said. "It's an adjustment, but I'm cool with it.

"I just have to pick and choose my spots. I don't want to get caught in the mindset that I have to go in there and score, that I have to go in and get my shots up because when I do that I'm doing the team a disservice."

Instead, Popovich wants Finley to predicate his game on defending and rebounding — an approach he has worked hard to put into play.

"I think that will take some pressure off his offense," Popovich said. "So he realizes if he misses shots, we don't really care."