PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider

Spur219
09-01-2004, 05:27 PM
If someone has it can you post it please.

KoriEllis
09-01-2004, 05:36 PM
MJ Scratching Hoops Itch
According to sources who've seen him play, Jordan can still play but isn't in great shape.

"Sometimes he still looks good, other times he looks like an old man," one source told Insider. "Still whenever Michael steps on the floor, the intensity of the game ratchets up a notch."

There have been rumors for weeks that Jordan is contemplating a comeback -- possibly with the Miami Heat. According to those same sources, the rumors aren't true.

"He's 41 years old. If he wanted to play, he probably still could. I would never say never with Michael, but that's not why he's here. He just wanted to get some exercise and some good runs. I don't think you'll see Michael playing in the NBA again."

'Zo comeback could be real
Speaking of comebacks, it appears Nets center Alonzo Mourning is serious about making a comeback this season. Mourning, who underwent a kidney transplant last year, has been working out diligently in Miami with an eye toward joining the Nets for the 2004-05 season.

According to sources, Mourning's workouts have been going well, and he's hopeful he'll receive the medical clearance he needs to return to the NBA.

"He's heading down that road," one league source told Insider. "I expect that if things keep progressing the way they have been, he'll be playing next season."

That's a mixed blessing for the Nets. With a healthy Mourning in the mix, the Nets would improve considerably. Mourning is an amazing competitor and an inspirational story. Few people could've endured what he's been through.

However, the Nets were looking forward to some cap relief should Mourning have been unable to play this season. Mourning's contract would've come off the books next season if he'd been unable to play, saving the Nets another $5 million in cap space in the summer of 2005. If Mourning plays in more than eight regular-season games, the clock begins ticking again. If he were to get injured again after the eight games, the Nets would have to wait two years before getting his contract off the books.

Meanwhile, the talk out of New Jersey is that Jason Kidd, who's coming off microfracture surgery, won't be ready to go until late November.

Miles is the $48 million man
Another year, another tumultuous offseason for the Portland Trail Blazers.

On Tuesday the Blazers ended a standing feud with Darius Miles just as they were about to become embroiled in a larger one with power forward Zach Randolph.

After a long summer standoff, the Blazers and Miles came to terms on a contract Tuesday. According to sources, the deal is worth $48 million over six years.

That's great for Miles, a restricted free agent who was struggling to find a team willing to give him an offer sheet. The Blazers were telling every team in the league they'd match any offer while, at the same time, offering Miles a deal that started for less than his one-year tender offer ($5.4 million).

Miles was so furious at the original offers that he seriously considered taking the team's one-year tender and becoming an unrestricted free agent next year. Somehow, without much leverage other than the threat of bolting the team next summer, Miles' agent, Jeff Weschler, negotiated a deal that averages $8 million per season.

What took the Blazers so long to get on board? Miles was excellent for them in the last two months of the season. Miles started 42 games at small forward for Portland last season, averaging 12.6 ppg and 4.5 rpg in 28 mpg. By the end of the season, he'd upped his averages to 14.1 ppg and 5.1 rpg. Not too shabby. The team went 24-16 with Miles in the starting lineup, a dramatic improvement from where it began the season.

The issue had a lot to do with Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who was upset with the playing time he saw in Portland after being traded there in February. Coach Mo Cheeks preferred starting Miles at small forward and Zach Randolph at power forward -- forcing Rahim to the bench for the first time in his career.

This summer, Rahim demanded a trade. Attempts by the Blazers to console him by offering him the starting small forward job over Miles fell on deaf ears.

"My problem with that is if you started Darius at small forward all of last year -- and Darius is supposed to be a big part of the Blazers' future, and now I'm going to start there?" Abdur-Rahim said last month. "That's creating a crazy situation. What is Darius supposed to think about that? And for the team? That's not good. I don't want to be in a situation where it's uncomfortable.

"And last season, I didn't even split time at the four, and now all of a sudden you want to start me at the three and have me back up at the four? I just want to know what is really going on. Are they trying to keep me to save luxury tax dollars the next season, or what? I just want to sit down and get some straight talk."

Zach Randolph on the block?
Does the fact that the Blazers signed Miles to a long-term contract mean they will grant Abdur-Rahim his trade wish? Maybe not.

Over the past week it appears the team's priorities have shifted, and now young forward Zach Randolph may be the guy on the way out -- opening up a spot for Abdur-Rahim at the four.

Randolph is facing a possible criminal charge for allegedly lying to a police after -- witnesses claim his younger brother shot three men in a nightclub Aug. 22. Those witnesses claim Randolph tried to restrain his brother while he was shooting, then helped him out of the nightclub. Police say Randolph told them on three occasions he knew nothing about the shooting.

Randolph wasn't the shooter and appears actually to have attempted to stop his brother from hurting people. So what's the big deal? The incident is just the tip of the iceberg for Randolph.

He was caught driving under the influence of marijuana last December by Portland police. He faced a two-game suspension in April 2002 for punching teammate Ruben Patterson in the face, breaking his eye socket. He was convicted of under-age drinking in 2002.

Before the Blazers drafted him, he had been convicted for shoplifting, battery and possessing stolen property (guns), all resulting in 30-day sentences in juvenile detention.

The latest incident hasn't sat well with GM John Nash, who was contemplating signing Randolph to a large, six-year extension this fall. Randolph, who won the league's Most Improved Player award last season, was awesome for the Blazers in 2003.

But with the team desperately trying to change its "Jail Blazer" image, he might have to be awesome for another team next year.

"I love the player, and I like the individual, because I truly believe he has a good heart," Nash said after learning of the incident. "But I am concerned that these types of things continue to happen."

"These situations don't sit well with what we are trying to achieve and accomplish here in Portland," Nash said. "It's safe to say we are concerned about players' character. And this certainly doesn't enhance one's value."

On Tuesday, The Oregonian reported that the Bucks and Blazers were discussing a trade that would bring Portland Michael Redd, Desmond Mason and Marcus Haislip in exchange for Randolph and Derek Anderson. While that trade doesn't work under CBA rules, adding Erick Strickland to the mix would make it possible.

Bucks GM Larry Harris declined a request for comment, and a Bucks spokesman said the team has a policy not to respond to any trade rumors. However, a league source told Insider on Tuesday that there was no truth to the rumor and the Bucks hadn't had any recent talks with the Blazers.

While the trade would be a great one for the Blazers (they desperately need a great perimeter shooter), it makes much less sense for the Bucks. If Randolph is convicted of a crime, he likely would face jail time because of his history. Also, the Bucks' fiscally conservative owner, Herb Kohl, has been reluctant to pay out big dollars to anyone. If Randolph goes free, he's looking at a huge contract extension either this fall or next summer, when he hits restricted free agency.

Redd also is looking at free agency next summer, but it's unlikely he'll command the same kind of money Randolph does.

That doesn't mean, however, that the Blazers are done dealing. Sources close to the team concede that by the end of the summer one of their two big guys, either Randolph or Rahim, likely will be traded. Rahim is in the last year of his contract and has generated lots of interest around the league. Randolph also has a lot of suitors, though several teams concede that his checkered past would give them pause before they actually pulled the trigger on a trade.

One possible destination for both players is Seattle. The team has been looking for a legitimate power forward for years and has talked with the Blazers about Rahim in the past. The Sonics balked, however, at the Blazers' asking price -- Ray Allen. However, if the Blazers substituted Randolph for Rahim, the Sonics might show some interest in a deal that sent Allen to the Blazers for Randolph and the expiring contract of Damon Stoudamire.

Curry laying off the curry
Eddy Curry ballooned to more than 320 pounds this summer, causing GM John Paxson to seriously consider a number of trade proposals from other teams regarding his young big man.

Now, however, the weight issue appears to be a non-issue. According to sources at Hoops, Curry has been diligently working out and playing in the runs in August. He has dropped 30 pounds and is down to a slim (for him anyway) 290.

Will that be enough to save him from a trade? The Grizzlies, as Insider first reported last month, are still trying to pry him away from the Bulls. They're offering Bonzi Wells (who is in the last year of his contract) and Bo Outlaw for Curry and Eddie Robinson.

That hasn't been enough to get Paxson to bite, but as the summer wears on, his hand may be forced. The Bulls know Curry will be a hot commodity next summer in restricted free agency and don't want to get into the same situation they found themselves in with Jamal Crawford this year. The team is understandably reluctant to give Curry a big extension now with his weight issues. The fear is that the minute he gets the guaranteed money, he'll quit working on his conditioning.

That fear is held by other teams, too. But the Grizzlies, for one, believe that if they can get him out of Chicago and into the structured environment that Hubie Brown provides, he'll blossom. If Paxson can get Jerry West to substitute a re-signed Stromile Swift for Outlaw, he should do it. It's a risk for both the Bulls and whoever trades for him … but given his track record and the direction the Bulls appear to be heading, it might be time to cut ties now, while Curry's trade value is still relatively high.

Around the League

Look for free agent point guard Kenny Anderson to sign a one year deal with the Hawks this week . . .

The Nuggets are still talking about how to fill out the rest of their roster. They've had substantive discussions with free agents Rodney White and Jon Barry and also brought in veteran defender Michael Curry. Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

bigzak25
09-01-2004, 06:16 PM
bringing randolph to the spurs would be awesome.....a change of scenery will do the kid good.

Solid D
09-01-2004, 07:10 PM
He's a prolific scoring Matador.

Spurminator
09-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Will MJ ever be out of the rumor mill? Ever?

From Way Downtown
09-01-2004, 07:13 PM
bringing randolph to the spurs would be awesome.....a change of scenery will do the kid good.

What are you going to give up to get him, though? The Blazers are obviously looking for a pretty fair amount of talent in return, since they were talking about Redd in that other deal. I'd imagine that a deal for Randolph would have to include either Manu or Parker and some additional filler, with a big contract (like DA's) coming back from Portland.

Is Zach Randolph worth that?

E20
09-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Jordan is so fucking good. I bet he could average 25PPG if he wanted to right now.

exstatic
09-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Will MJ ever be out of the rumor mill? Ever?

When he's dead. IIRC, there were "Wilt's making a comeback" rumors well into the 1980s.

I really don't want him to come back. Just like his horrific, injury-plagued time with the Wiz, he'll never be "MJ" again, only a sideshow. I hate to think of all of the kids that saw his recent comeback, and think they've "seen him play". They haven't, they've only seen a shell of MJ. True, that's better than most of the league now, but it just ain't right.

Hang 'em up for good, Michael. You're risking becoming an object of pity, like Ali at the end. He was just plain fucking sad, obviously not knowing when to quit.

blackbucket
09-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Darius Miles????????? :lol

Let me see, Miles for 8 per or Manu for 8.5!!!

Are you freaking kidding me???

hegamboa
09-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Jordan is more than welcome to come win a 7th title here in San Antonio... if he wanted to... I'm sure Duncan wouldn't mind.

hegamboa
09-02-2004, 12:42 AM
Or what if he decided to play with Dallas (if the rumor that Cuban wants coach Jackson were true... or maybe that was only to lure O'Neal).

IcemanCometh
09-02-2004, 02:29 AM
http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~shane/stasj/pics/humor/div/WTF.jpg

Spur219
09-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks.