PDA

View Full Version : Future Spurs Head Coach...Steve Kerr?

spursparker9
06-02-2023, 10:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Apb8i7p1g

Golden State ship is sinking and possibly that Steve Kerr might leave Golden State after Curry retires.

I say we welcome him to be the successor of Pop.

Kerr has 9 rings (5 as players and 4 as head coach), including 2 with Spurs.

I say he is more than qualified :clap

Obstructed_View
06-02-2023, 11:53 PM
He's such a whining pussy. He makes Larry Brown look like Pop.

Tyronn Lue
06-03-2023, 01:53 AM
Kerr might retire though, with his accolades and back problem he might either prefer front office, TNT or retirement over the head coach spot.

BatManu20
06-03-2023, 02:31 AM
Called this right after we won the lottery tbh. Could just be a rumor of course, but the timeline fits pretty perfectly. Kerr coaches Golden State for a couple more seasons until the Splash Brothers are completely washed and the Warriors go into full rebuild mode. Pop coaches a couple more years to set the table for Wemby and our young core. Then Kerr, a Pop disciple, slides right in and takes the reins from Pop. Almost makes too much sense not to happen tbh.

Spurs are obviously very family oriented and will want Pop’s successor to be someone they’re very familiar with and comfortable handing control of the team over to. Kerr fits that description. Not only is he a great friend of Pop’s, but he and RC Buford are close as well going back to the early 2000’s when Kerr was the old veteran on our 2003 Championship team. I think they’d both be elated to have Kerr take over tbh. If he’s interested that is. Time will tell. But it makes a ton of sense tbh. Hopefully if that happens he brings Curry with him.

spursparker9
06-03-2023, 06:11 AM
If Kerr comes, he has chance to be the winniest coach of all time

CGD
06-03-2023, 07:16 AM
Isn’t Steve’s son still on the Spurs’ payroll?

wildbill2u
06-03-2023, 02:32 PM
Kerr is from California, quote: "the mean streets of Pacific Palisades". After being back at home all the years, I doubt he'd be interested in moving away despite the Spurs ties.

SequSpur
06-06-2023, 10:07 PM
Kerr is a wuss. Someone delete this topic.

HemisfairArena
06-06-2023, 10:23 PM
I'd be absolutely shocked if Becky Hammon is not the next Spurs coach,,,,its just set up for that. Why would the Spurs hire her as the first female assistant in NBA history and then not follow through?,, Can you imagine she gets hired as the first female head coach ever in NBA history and then gets to coach Wemby and possibly win a title?

slick'81
06-06-2023, 11:05 PM
Mike budenholzer does not approve

Mugen
06-06-2023, 11:09 PM
The only people that move from CA to TX are those who can't afford it tbh :lol

MultiTroll
06-06-2023, 11:45 PM
Philly Beaner please.

Kerrs cheating *wins* are meaningless.

Do like the ball movement offense tho.

NickiRasgo
06-07-2023, 12:55 AM
If Kerr comes, he has chance to be the winniest coach of all time

Coach Spo already have 704 wins and he's only 52 years old compared to Kerr who has 473 and is already 57 years old. I think Spo will catch-up to Pop eventually or even take over.

Spo is currently at 20th but given with his run with the Heat recently, I think he'll stick for a much longer time.
* Rivers (61) is 9th but it seems his days are over as coach esp. if he don't win another one if another team signs him.
** McMillan (58) is 18th and not sure if another team will sign him again

Reference:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/spoeler99c.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/kerrst01c.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/NBA_stats.html

Ice009
06-07-2023, 08:39 AM
Pretty sure McMillan got fired or resigned, can't remember which as Quin Snyder is now the coach of the Hawks.

exstatic
06-07-2023, 09:01 AM
Coach Spo already have 704 wins and he's only 52 years old compared to Kerr who has 473 and is already 57 years old. I think Spo will catch-up to Pop eventually or even take over.

Spo is currently at 20th but given with his run with the Heat recently, I think he'll stick for a much longer time.
* Rivers (61) is 9th but it seems his days are over as coach esp. if don't win another one if another team signs him.
** McMillan (58) is 18th and not sure if another team will sign once his contract with Hawks is up.

Reference:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/spoeler99c.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/kerrst01c.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/NBA_stats.html

Spo has the best shot, but he's still far, far behind on win % (.642 -> .589), meaning he'll have to coach longer than Pop to overtake him. He's young, but he is just over halfway to the win total (1366 -> 704). Spo has also coached only one 50 win season since the Heatles broke up. He has a protector in Riley, but how long is Riley going to work?

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-07-2023, 03:15 PM
Pop's record may hold for a long time. Hard to compete with that sort of longevity as a head coach.

lefty
06-07-2023, 03:20 PM
Philly Beaner please.

Nah, Riley is not gonna let him walk away

lefty
06-07-2023, 03:21 PM
Former Spur Chris Quinn is Spo's assistant

Is he any good?

NickiRasgo
06-07-2023, 05:28 PM
Pretty sure McMillan got fired or resigned, can't remember which as Quin Snyder is now the coach of the Hawks.

Thanks. Edited it. Forgot Snyder take over him midseason.

Spo has the best shot, but he's still far, far behind on win % (.642 -> .589), meaning he'll have to coach longer than Pop to overtake him. He's young, but he is just over halfway to the win total (1366 -> 704). Spo has also coached only one 50 win season since the Heatles broke up. He has a protector in Riley, but how long is Riley going to work?

I can see Spo still coaching for a long time even if it's not with the Heat or Riley's help - I was about to say that Riley really like him but set aside, he's still a good modern coach considering with this run with the Heat. With Pop, do you think he'll give it to Kerr once Kerr is available?

Obstructed_View
06-07-2023, 09:10 PM
Was watching Ring of the Rowel, and Pop's praise of Kerr in 2003 makes me think it's possible.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-08-2023, 10:46 AM
Was watching Ring of the Rowel, and Pop's praise of Kerr in 2003 makes me think it's possible.

Kerr would be the best of the coaches with Spurs ties, in my opinion.

I actually thought Borrego did a great job in Charlotte and wouldn't mind seeing him coach the Spurs. This "associate head coach" job he has with the Pelicans will be interesting, but I certainly see him getting another head coaching job in the near future.

ducks
06-08-2023, 04:28 PM
Not leaving ca
Smokes to much weed to want to

John B
06-08-2023, 06:40 PM
I don’t know if Kerr would’ve been half successful without Curry. Sure Pop always had Timmy, but still Pop adapted/modified the teams style of play as Timmy (the Big 3) got older, and continously complimented Timmy/Manu/TP with key role players, and even had the foresight to develop Kawhi as a franchise, All-NBA player. I don’t see that with Kerr. And don’t tell me Jordan Poole please. The guy is a Curry wanna-be with Jay R’s brain.

tbdog
06-08-2023, 06:52 PM
The biggest concern for Kerr is we don't know what his offence would look like without Curry or Klay.