PDA

View Full Version : Scott Stapp gets in brawl with 311 members

sa_butta
12-02-2005, 08:40 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1201stapp01-ON.html

BALTIMORE - Former Creed lead singer Scott Stapp and members of the band 311 were involved in a fight on Thanksgiving in the lounge of a luxury hotel, according to hotel security staff and 311 members.

311 were in Baltimore for a weekend concert when several members ran into Stapp earlier that day, band drummer Chad Sexton told the Associated Press. Both Stapp and 311 have the same producer, and Sexton said there were no problems during the first meeting.

But Stapp later came into the Harbor Court Hotel bar while Sexton and bandmates SA Martinez and P-Nut were watching basketball on television. He stepped in front of the screen and said, "311, I am ready to fight," according to Sexton.

Sexton said the band tried to defuse the situation, and Stapp went to the bar to drink. Later, he made "inappropriate" comments to Martinez's wife, and was confrontational with Sexton.

"All of a sudden, he clocked me in the left side of my face," Sexton said. "Then a huge fight broke out."

During the melee, Martinez broke a finger and later went to the hospital to have a cast put on his hand. Security guards eventually broke up the brawl. Police were called, but no arrests were made, according to hotel security.

"It was an unfortunate incident," Sexton said. "We are not brawlers."

Beth Keifetz, vice president of publicity at Stapp's label, Wind-up Records, wouldn't comment on the reports of a fight.

But Jonathan Jordan, director of security at the hotel, said the incident was captured on security cameras. He said Stapp was "attacked" by several members of 311 and that it took two security guards to break up the fight.

"It was definitely started by 311," Jordan said.

Officer Troy Harris, spokesman for the Baltimore Police, said the department didn't have any record of officers responding to the hotel.

Stapp, who won a Grammy Award with Creed in 2000 for the song "With Arms Wide Open," has launched a solo career. He recently released his debut album, "The Great Divide."

311 has released more than a dozen albums since forming in 1988. The band's hit songs include the chart-topping "Down."

CharlieMac
12-02-2005, 08:46 PM
There was a thread on another board about Stapp talking shit about Dave Grohl.

My response is still "Who the fuck is Scott Stapp?"

Someone remindd me by saying that he's probably the only musician to ever get sued by his fans for putting on a lousy live show.

Beerjitsu
12-02-2005, 09:11 PM
There was a thread on another board about Stapp talking shit about Dave Grohl.

My response is still "Who the fuck is Scott Stapp?"

Someone remindd me by saying that he's probably the only musician to ever get sued by his fans for putting on a lousy live show.

Not to mention one of the biggest rock and roll posers in the last twenty years. Every time he hit one of his "jesus" poses in a video I just wanted to upchuck.

And hearing that he talked shit to Grohl is just hilarious to me. Grohl's fingernail clippings have more talent than Stapp does. Stapp's just jealous that these guys still have careers and nobody gives a damn about him anymore.

Talentless hack.

CharlieMac
12-02-2005, 09:19 PM
My bad, he just flicked off Grohl and Bono.

hussker
12-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Grohl...Bono...They have no issue or care with Stapp. They made their $$ and still exist. Stapp is trying to justify his.

N.Y. Johnny
12-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Not to mention one of the biggest rock and roll posers in the last twenty years. Every time he hit one of his "jesus" poses in a video I just wanted to upchuck.

And hearing that he talked shit to Grohl is just hilarious to me. Grohl's fingernail clippings have more talent than Stapp does. Stapp's just jealous that these guys still have careers and nobody gives a damn about him anymore.

Talentless hack.

Stapp stinks, talentless "eddie vedder" wannabe Hack. :drunk

Beerjitsu
12-02-2005, 11:06 PM
Stapp stinks, talentless "eddie vedder" wannabe Hack. :drunk

With a MULLET! At least Eddie had the balls to grow REAL long hair.

Man I so want to read an article about Stapp starting something with, oh I don't know, Henry Rollins maybe?

Brodels
12-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks for taking care of that, 311. What a tool.

Sincerely,

Anyone who has had to endure a Creed song

TastesLikeChicken
12-02-2005, 11:48 PM
311 just jumped 200 cool points, and if it turns out that they just jumped Stapp unprovoked...make it 300

Spurminator
12-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Damn, I never thought I'd actually consider rooting for Stapp in a fight.

Creed and 311 might be my two least favorite bands ever... This is like, so cool.

Brutalis
12-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Him and 311 suck anyways. Who cares!

Stapp acts like a Jesus Stallone.

Faccia di Angelo
12-03-2005, 01:49 AM
He stepped in front of the screen and said, "311, I am ready to fight," according to Sexton.

:lol :lol Am I the only one who found that freaking hilarious

SequSpur
12-03-2005, 02:44 AM
311 kicks ass.

Scott Stapp can straight up rock....

Only in america, sexuality is democracy...
Only in america, we stamp our god in god we trust....

That CD is a classic. Kick ass.

midgetonadonkey
12-03-2005, 03:26 AM
I bet it was a hardcore slap fight.

KEDA
12-03-2005, 09:41 AM
I know that a 311 member broke a finger during the altercation, but the real question is.

Did Scott Stapp break a nail? Becsuse he would have stopped it right then and there, and started crying.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-03-2005, 11:33 AM
What a bunch of misdirected hostility. 311 should be ashsamed of themselves. Especially since they killed a Jesus Imitator...

On the other hand, Stapp is the biggest douche of 1999-2001, he probably asked for it, and I wish Fred Durst had kicked his ass back in 1999.

TheTruth
12-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Creed Higher = My class song

:depressed

Samr
12-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Stapp gets punk'd by a bunch of drunk, college LiveJournalers (http://www.livejournal.com/users/tomluv/13923.html)

Horry For 3!
12-03-2005, 03:04 PM
But Stapp later came into the Harbor Court Hotel bar while Sexton and bandmates SA Martinez and P-Nut were watching basketball on television. He stepped in front of the screen and said, "311, I am ready to fight," according to Sexton.
hahaha thats funny shit

Prefontaine
12-03-2005, 04:43 PM
On the other hand, Stapp is the biggest douche of 1999-2001, he probably asked for it, and I wish Fred Durst had kicked his ass back in 1999.

another jackass who should get a well deserved beating.

Beerjitsu
12-03-2005, 04:56 PM
another jackass who should get a well deserved beating.

:tu Agreed.

Josh810
12-04-2005, 01:25 AM
That was actually one of the retarded articles some sites are publishing. "311, I am ready to fight?" wtf is that? Completely made up quote. I think this is the real story, the security guy saying "311 definitely started it" is just covering for himself for not having thrown out Stapp sooner...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/17881

In a Web posting this week, 311 says that Stapp "sucker-punched" drummer Chad Sexton following a chance meeting in the bar of the Harbor Court Hotel.

"We did not intend to discuss this incident publicly, but since rumors are beginning to spread we'd like to set the record straight," the band says, before giving its version of the incident.

Stapp, the message claims, entered the bar, "drank a shot at the bar and then threw his shot glass, smashing it on the bar. He was acting belligerent and got into an argument with patrons sitting at the bar. He then sat down next to [311 band member Douglas "SA" Martinez] and his wife. He made a disrespectful and crude remark to SA's wife. Chad and SA asked him to step away. He then sucker-punched Chad. Scott was looking for a fight--and that's what he got."

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Martinez says he fractured his hand in the fisticuffs.

Harbor Court employees confirmed Wednesday that a scuffle occurred sometime after 10 p.m. Staffers declined to disclose specifics, however; one clerk described the incident simply a "brief altercation."

Employees say Baltimore police were called to the hotel, but Stapp was not arrested and no charges have been filed. A public information officer would not confirm details of the incident.

Stapp, whose vocals helped Creed dominate the modern rock charts in the late 1990s and sell over 30 million albums worldwide before imploding last year, has yet to remark on the dustup.

His Los Angeles-based publicist, Dvora Vener, would only issue a "no comment" late Wednesday.

It's been a rough few days for the 32-year-old singer. His debut solo album, The Great Divide, barely dented the charts this week, opening at 19 with 94,000 in sales. (By comparison, Creed's final studio album, Weathered, sold 887,000 copies in its first week in 2001; and his former band mate's offshoot, Alter Bridge, sold 95,000 first-week copies last year of their debut, One Day Remains.)

Stapp has been dogged by rumors of alcohol abuse for years; Creed was sued by fans in Chicago, who said the singer was so intoxicated at a 2002 concert that he was unable to remember the words to some of Creed's best-known hits, like "Higher."

According to his Website, Stapp will begin touring in 2006 in support of The Great Divide.

Meanwhile, 311 is due in Toronto Friday as part of a fall tour in support of the Omaha-based band's latest album, Don't Tread on Me. The band is also set to tape two songs for Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve.

Also, from the lead singer of 311:

No, you're right, the 311 guys did absolutely nothing wrong. I showed up right after and while he was being restrained he pointed to me and said, "I'll kick your f-----g a$$!" I just laughed because I'd never even met the guy.

Violence should be avoided but in this case it was not avoidable.
Chad and SA took care of business just fine but it would have been worse had I been there.

His girlfriend tried to apologize for his behavior like this: He's on pills, illegal drugs, and he's very drunk. He's a big fan of 311 and he's having a lot of emotional problems.

I think about 311's overall message quite a bit. My concern was that the message of the song "Don't Tread on Me" was already kinda hard a$$ and though I was expressing frustration about politics I want to keep being known as a positive band. I didn't want this to skew our reputation. I don't think it will. It's just important that people understand that by all all accounts he was the aggressor. That's why the cops made him leave the hotel not us.

Back to the music...
Nick.
So yeah, it wasn't unprovoked, and the dude fractured his hand, not broke his finger, which is a lot cooler cause he probably fractured it on Stapp's face.

Faccia di Angelo
12-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Wow, he's already 32 yrs. old. I didn't even realize he was that age already.

Sense
12-04-2005, 01:37 AM
He stepped in front of the screen and said, "311, I am ready to fight," according to Sexton.

:lmao