PDA

View Full Version : How will the new CBA effect the Spurs future dynasty?

CorrectCrusader
06-12-2023, 10:39 AM
Title - I'm uneducated on this :spin

Dex
06-12-2023, 12:07 PM
The new CBA has essentially been designed to prevent teams (namely big markets) from just spending out the ass to buy championships.

This will mostly affect teams like the Warriors, Clippers, Suns, Celtics, and Lakers who have committed like $100M+ to two or three players. Previously, owners could just choose to pay the luxury tax. With the new CBA, teams will be more restricted on how to add and keep talent on their teams...not only by paying the luxury tax but facing other penalties.

Here is a breakdown of the new CBA: Teams that are $17.5 million over the luxury tax threshold (called the "second apron") have restrictions.

These teams can’t sign players to the mid-level exception. This clause would have prevented the 2022 signings of Danilo Gallinari (Celtics), Donte DiVincenzo (Warriors), Joe Ingles (Bucks) and John Wall (Clippers).
These teams can’t take in more salary in a trade than they are sending out. Previously, they could take back 125% of their outgoing salaries.
These teams can’t trade first-round picks seven years out anymore (all teams below the second apron can).
These teams can’t trade cash in a deal (this will prevent them from being able to “buy” second-round picks on draft night).
These teams can’t sign buyout players during the season. This would have prevented the 2023 buyout signings of Russell Westbrook (Clippers), Goran Dragic (Bucks), Terrence Ross (Suns) and Justin Holiday (Mavericks).

The Spurs are actually in a good position because we are well under the cap and have plenty of talent on good deals or rookie contracts. There will come a point where we will have to pay the likes of Vassell, Sochan, or Wemby but the team is well poised to navigate that.

Meanwhile, teams like the Warriors who are already paying huge contracts to Curry, Thompson, Wiggins, and Poole now have some tough decisions to make if they want to retain Draymond, extend Thompson, or keep guys like Kuminga, GPII, etc who are all due new money. They can still choose to pay, but will also be limited on building around those key pieces.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-12-2023, 12:18 PM
The problem with any CBA is paying non stars like stars and especially paying stars as superstars, i.e. the Bradley Beals, Tobias Harris etc. max deals which aren't close to being worth it. If the Spurs are smart they'll avoid this easily.

rjv
06-12-2023, 12:18 PM
so, basically, putting together a super team (or, at least three star players) is going to be virtually impossible to do under this new CBA.

baseline bum
06-12-2023, 12:27 PM
Meanwhile, teams like the Warriors who are already paying huge contracts to Curry, Thompson, Wiggins, and Poole now have some tough decisions to make if they want to keep guys like Draymond, extend Thompson, or keep guys like Kuminga, GPII, etc who are all due new money. They can still choose to pay, but will also be limited on building around those key pieces.

God that Poole contract is hilarious in the second apron era.

spurraider21
06-12-2023, 12:46 PM
so, basically, putting together a super team (or, at least three star players) is going to be virtually impossible to do under this new CBA.
that, and teams will generally be more selective when it comes to throwing out the max or something close to it at good not great players. dejounte will be an interesting case next offseason, for example.

tobias harris, jordan poole, cj mccollum, andrew wiggins, michael porter, deandre ayton, john collins are all examples of guys who would not have gotten their current contracts had this cba been in effect, imo

duncan2150
06-12-2023, 12:49 PM
We also have three two way spots now with the new cba ?

Mr. Body
06-12-2023, 12:59 PM
Isn't there something about how a team that's gone over the second tax apron twice in four years gets their draft pick pushed automatically to the end of the first round?

exstatic
06-12-2023, 01:15 PM
The problem with any CBA is paying non stars like stars and especially paying stars as superstars, i.e. the Bradley Beals, Tobias Harris etc. max deals which aren't close to being worth it. If the Spurs are smart they'll avoid this easily.

The Spurs are notoriously good at keeping their powder dry. They just sidestepped a land mine last summer by trading Dejounte instead of overpaying him.

exstatic
06-12-2023, 01:19 PM
Isn't there something about how a team that's gone over the second tax apron twice in four years gets their draft pick pushed automatically to the end of the first round?

Yup. The first offense freezes the furthest out pick from being traded. The second offense any time in the four year bracket pushes that pick to the end of the first round. That’s why this summer isn’t the same as last summer, in terms of salary dumps. There will also be teams with salary remorse for not trading with us last year.

Mr. Body
06-12-2023, 02:19 PM
Warriors swear they won't make a trade this summer for tax purposes. We'll see.

Seventyniner
06-12-2023, 02:39 PM
Warriors swear they won't make a trade this summer for tax purposes. We'll see.

They have 10 days to crunch the numbers and see how much money it will cost them to not do a salary dump on draft night.

Dex
06-12-2023, 02:53 PM
We also have three two way spots now with the new cba ?

Correct.

Mr. Body
06-12-2023, 03:01 PM
They have 10 days to crunch the numbers and see how much money it will cost them to not do a salary dump on draft night.

They are heavily invested in portraying Jordan Poole as having excellent basketball value equivalent to his contract.

barakz21
06-12-2023, 03:04 PM
We were really lucky the big three took way below market value. Sure it’s doable to have 3 stars take a huge paycut for the sake of continuity, but I find that it’ll be very hard to convince players nowadays than in the previous era.

mo7888
06-12-2023, 03:15 PM
We were really lucky the big three took way below market value. Sure it’s doable to have 3 stars take a huge paycut for the sake of continuity, but I find that it’ll be very hard to convince players nowadays than in the previous era.

I dont think that will ever be the blueprint for a Spurs team again. I think youre looking at 2 max players and several players in tne $25M range surrounded by minimum contracts and rookie contracts. The most important part is to not find ourselves paying a max contract to a player that isnt a max worth talent.

CorrectCrusader
06-12-2023, 03:27 PM
I dont think that will ever be the blueprint for a Spurs team again. I think youre looking at 2 max players and several players in tne $25M range surrounded by minimum contracts and rookie contracts. The most important part is to not find ourselves paying a max contract to a player that isnt a max worth talent.

Aka don't be the Wizards

scott
06-12-2023, 03:40 PM
I do wish the CBA would have made some kind of exception for players staying with the team that originally drafted them, such as their salaries only count 95% against the cap, or something like that. Would like to see the league reward teams for drafting and developing talent. Oh well.

Ocotillo
06-12-2023, 03:52 PM
https://twitter.com/SamQuinnCBS/status/1668354042114760711

This fits in a couple of threads but I ended up sticking it here.

barakz21
06-12-2023, 03:53 PM

I agree. Hell, everything would have to fall in place ie the players like each other and the team culture/environment, team is competitive. And even then, that’s not even a guarantee.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-12-2023, 04:16 PM
The new CBA has essentially been designed to prevent teams (namely big markets) from just spending out the ass to buy championships.

This will mostly affect teams like the Warriors, Clippers, Suns, Celtics, and Lakers who have committed like $100M+ to two or three players. Previously, owners could just choose to pay the luxury tax. With the new CBA, teams will be more restricted on how to add and keep talent on their teams...not only by paying the luxury tax but facing other penalties.

Here is a breakdown of the new CBA: Teams that are $17.5 million over the luxury tax threshold (called the "second apron") have restrictions.

These teams can’t sign players to the mid-level exception. This clause would have prevented the 2022 signings of Danilo Gallinari (Celtics), Donte DiVincenzo (Warriors), Joe Ingles (Bucks) and John Wall (Clippers).
These teams can’t take in more salary in a trade than they are sending out. Previously, they could take back 125% of their outgoing salaries.
These teams can’t trade first-round picks seven years out anymore (all teams below the second apron can).
These teams can’t trade cash in a deal (this will prevent them from being able to “buy” second-round picks on draft night).
These teams can’t sign buyout players during the season. This would have prevented the 2023 buyout signings of Russell Westbrook (Clippers), Goran Dragic (Bucks), Terrence Ross (Suns) and Justin Holiday (Mavericks).

The Spurs are actually in a good position because we are well under the cap and have plenty of talent on good deals or rookie contracts. There will come a point where we will have to pay the likes of Vassell, Sochan, or Wemby but the team is well poised to navigate that.

Meanwhile, teams like the Warriors who are already paying huge contracts to Curry, Thompson, Wiggins, and Poole now have some tough decisions to make if they want to retain Draymond, extend Thompson, or keep guys like Kuminga, GPII, etc who are all due new money. They can still choose to pay, but will also be limited on building around those key pieces.

It would be great if the Spurs managed to have some guys on the roster who value winning over maximizing their own deals, like the previous Big 3. Probably not the way the world works these days, but you can dream.