PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Suns finalizing trade for Wizards' Bradley Beal

ducks
06-18-2023, 03:55 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37873714/sources-suns-finalizing-trade-wizards-bradley-beal

Chinook
06-18-2023, 03:59 PM
The Wizards arguably got negative value for Beal. It's a desperate all-in trade by the Suns, but the funny thing is that if Beal recovers, they might be able to trick a team like Miami in offering actual first-round picks rather than swaps. Still, with so much leveraged, those later picks by Brooklyn and those later swaps by Washington look juicy.

MultiTroll
06-18-2023, 04:04 PM
Will still be majorly rooting against the Suns.

SpursFan86
06-18-2023, 04:05 PM
I’m not a NBA salary cap expert…can someone explain how Phoenix is able to pay all 4 of KD/Beal/Booker/Ayton? Isn’t that like $180MM tied up across just those 4?

As for the trade from a basketball fit, not really sure Phoenix needed a guy like Beal. Their depth is probably even worse now.

Degoat
06-18-2023, 04:08 PM
NBA’s weird lol I know Beal is owed a shit and had a no trade clause so he dictated where he’d go but that’s a horrible deal for Beal imo you telling me no other team could have done better or convinced Beal to join them

LeBowen
06-18-2023, 04:08 PM
Will still be majorly rooting against the Suns.

Lakers, Suns and Rockets will always top my hate list.

Btw, as I wrote in that other topic, Beal's agent is Suns' CEO father, so there's also some nepotism going on.

Stern would've CP3'd this trade so hard.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 04:12 PM
Washington just needs to get off the salary. Beal is fine as an asset. No fucking clue what Phoenix is doing.

Degoat
06-18-2023, 04:13 PM
Washington just needs to get off the salary. Beal is fine as an asset. No fucking clue what Phoenix is doing.

Someone will buy into the idea of trading for Ayton. Watch it be the pacers for #7 lol

MultiTroll
06-18-2023, 04:14 PM
Btw, as I wrote in that other topic, Beal's agent is Suns' CEO father, so there's also some nepotism going on.

Stern would've CP3'd this trade so hard.

Begets the question did WA really try to shop him and was this the best offer they could get?

I get it, Beals salary sucks. But its the going rate for NBA high chuck scorers.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 04:15 PM
Perhaps they have a taker for Ayton in a follow on trade.

LeBowen
06-18-2023, 04:16 PM
Begets the question did WA really try to shop him and was this the best offer they could get?

I get it, Beals salary sucks. But its the going rate for NBA high chuck scorers.

Some reports were saying that Miami was offering Lowry+Robinson and two picks, which is way better.

Beal had a NTC, but I don't think he would've rejected Miami without his agent stepping in.

I think Dame eventually goes to Miami.

Wizards didn't get much for Beal, but getting out of that contract is a win by itself.

MultiTroll
06-18-2023, 04:16 PM
Lakers, Suns and Rockets will always top my hate list.
Wow, how can you hate the Lakers but not the Golden State Phaggots.

Never thought anything would match the insufferableness of rigged Kobme Laker era games and rosters but low and behold, the Warriors have at least equaled the insufferableness imo.

LeBowen
06-18-2023, 04:19 PM
Wow, how can you hate the Lakers but not the Golden State Phaggots.

Never thought anything would match the insufferableness of rigged Kobme Laker era games and rosters but low and behold, the Warriors have at least equaled the insufferableness imo.

Never liked them, but at least they kept destroying Lebron.

Them and Dallas are fourth and fifth on my hate list. This Miami kind of grew on me.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 04:23 PM

Washington was apparently desperate to get a deal done before Portland did, overcrowding the market with veteran SGs

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 04:26 PM
I meant to say Beal is 'done' as an asset.

JPB
06-18-2023, 04:29 PM
Perhaps they have a taker for Ayton in a follow on trade.

Could be right.

BatManu20
06-18-2023, 04:31 PM
What a kick in the nuts for wizards fans. They get basically nothing in return for their franchise player, signaling a bitter end to an already shitty era of basketball for them. Yikes.

paperboy77
06-18-2023, 04:32 PM
This ain't doing shit for Pheonix. I like it tho.

MultiTroll
06-18-2023, 04:32 PM
Washington was apparently desperate to get a deal done before Portland did, overcrowding the market with veteran SGs
Meh i don't know about that.
I'm going with LeBowens post 100.

BatManu20
06-18-2023, 04:36 PM
Hopefully the lakers so he can make them the oldest team in the league and we can watch them all breaks down together in the playoffs.

Mugen
06-18-2023, 04:39 PM
They'll flip Ayton for some semblance of depth and draft capital.

More importantly, this is why you never give a player a NTC. Like ever :lol

RC_Drunkford
06-18-2023, 04:41 PM
NBA’s weird lol I know Beal is owed a shit and had a no trade clause so he dictated where he’d go but that’s a horrible deal for Beal imo you telling me no other team could have done better or convinced Beal to join them

Y'all still don't understand that Beal was able to decide what he gets traded for. Washington has no say in this

DAF86
06-18-2023, 04:43 PM
The Suns are gonna need to play with 3 basketballs to keep everybody happy.

ducks
06-18-2023, 04:43 PM
A contender would not depend on Chris Paul to be healthy come playoff time
Good luck with that suns

BatManu20
06-18-2023, 04:45 PM
Chris Haynes reporting that the Clippers are looking to trade for CP3. Just what the team whose 2 franchise players literally cannot stay healthy for a single playoff run needs :lol

offset formation
06-18-2023, 04:47 PM
But, porqué?

Degoat
06-18-2023, 04:47 PM
Y'all still don't understand that Beal was able to decide what he gets traded for. Washington has no say in this

Force his ass to stay with you until you both come to a middle ground. They didn’t have to trade him

mikec
06-18-2023, 04:48 PM
Chris Haynes reporting that the Clippers are looking to trade for CP3. Just what the team whose 2 franchise players literally cannot stay healthy for a single playoff run needs :lol
lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-18-2023, 04:50 PM
Weird that Miami didn’t outbid them. I get it he has a ntc but can’t imagine him being deadset on Phoenix. This trade will likely be extended with a 3rd and even 4th teams added I imagine.

BatManu20
06-18-2023, 04:50 PM

Honestly with KD showing clear signs of regression at 34 years old, and Booker now entering his prime, I think a player like Beal, who is towards the end of his prime, does help them tbh. They weren’t going to win a ring next season relying on a selfish loser like Ayton + a 35 year-old KD as their 2nd best player tbh. They needed to make a move, and KD, Book, & Beal are all versatile offensive players who can play on and off-ball, so it shouldn’t be much of an issue. Think think slides KD to the #3 option now, which will be beneficial to both he and the Suns come playoff time.

I’m not saying that this makes them Championship favorites, cause it doesn’t, but disposing of the corpse of CP3 and replacing him with an All-Star talent like Beal does make them a better team. Now if they can flip Ayton for a couple of nice defensive players/depth, they will have a much better outlook going into next season imo.

mo7888
06-18-2023, 04:51 PM
Weird that Miami didn’t outbid them. I get it he has a ntc but can’t imagine him being deadset on Phoenix. This trade will likely be extended with a 3rd and even 4th teams added I imagine.

They probably did, but apparently he deciddd he wanted Phoenix and would only waive his ntc for them.

offset formation
06-18-2023, 04:53 PM

I get absolute schadenfreude for nephew to repay the karna gods by fading from his exalted status on a team he forced his way onto whose front office displays incompetence and whose teammates can't stay healthy, like him. Please do the deal.

The only abnormality in the plan was the karma gods clearing his path to that Raptor ring by historically devastating his competition.

Ariel
06-18-2023, 04:54 PM
This is a good trade for Phoenix, they sent a player they were going to waive, plus a lesser role player, for a a big time scorer. After the Durant trade Phoenix had no tradable assets other than Ayton, now they're free to use him to replenish their lost depth. This is possibly the only pathway to keep their window open for a couple of years, if they play their cards right.

Ariel
06-18-2023, 04:56 PM
All those guys can play without the ball in their hands, I don't think that'll be an issue.

baseline bum
06-18-2023, 04:56 PM
Wizards didn't get much for Beal, but getting out of that contract is a win by itself.

Yeah that's one of the worst contracts in the league. Four more years for nearly Steph Curry money for a guy who hasn't played a full season since before the pandemic.

Fizziksman
06-18-2023, 04:58 PM
Wizards must of forgotten Wemby is coming out this year not next year.

RC_Drunkford
06-18-2023, 05:00 PM
Force his ass to stay with you until you both come to a middle ground. They didn’t have to trade him

they weren't about to do that. They all in on the tank and take what they can get. This ain't 2k

offset formation
06-18-2023, 05:02 PM

Perhaps they're targeting Wembanyama, the brother, in 3 years.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 05:05 PM

You don’t always burn it to the ground because there’s a generational player coming out. Sometimes you just need to get off the treadmill. 2026 looks to be an interesting draft. There’s already huge buzz about Cameron Boozer, and he’s only 15. Load up on interesting prospects for two years, and tank outright for Boozer for the 2026 draft. He’s 15, and won the nationwide Mr. basketball,in addition to the Florida award.

Degoat
06-18-2023, 05:14 PM
they weren't about to do that. They all in on the tank and take what they can get. This ain't 2k

They could have played their leverage differently, they sucked with or without him.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 05:17 PM
They could have played their leverage differently, they sucked with or without him.

Better to suck as a team more cheaply. They also had zero leverage with him having a no trade clause.

Degoat
06-18-2023, 05:21 PM
Better to suck as a team more cheaply. They also had zero leverage with him having a no trade clause.

There leverage was he has 3 years under contract, if they don’t find a deal that’s beneficiary for both party’s he can sit out or suit up whichever one he wants until they find a deal that works for both of them.

Uriel
06-18-2023, 05:24 PM
Speaking of Bradley Beal, you know which player in the draft is most like him and could possibly be had in the second round? Dariq Whitehead.

Degoat
06-18-2023, 05:25 PM
Speaking of Bradley Beal, you know which player in the draft is most like him and could possibly be had in the second round? Dariq Whitehead.

I haven’t done too much digging on Whitehead, I do think he could be available at 33

Uriel
06-18-2023, 05:31 PM
I haven’t done too much digging on Whitehead, I do think he could be available at 33
He was never quite right at Duke and didn’t have the same explosiveness he had in high school. We later found out why: he suffered a foot injury prior to the start of the college season and the surgery didn’t fix his injury all the way. He then had a second surgery after the season and is now expected to make a full recovery.

If he can regain his high school form, he is an elite level prospect that would be an absolute steal at 33.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 05:42 PM
There leverage was he has 3 years under contract, if they don’t find a deal that’s beneficiary for both party’s he can sit out or suit up whichever one he wants until they find a deal that works for both of them.

Shit like that never works out, and is like free agent repellant for the future. Sometimes, you just cut your losses. The only thing I will criticize them for is not doing it sooner, like a few years ago.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 05:43 PM

No. If he were like Bradley Beal, even the college one, he’d be top 5.

Mal
06-18-2023, 05:45 PM
No way they keep Ayton after that. Could Spurs be in place for trade ?

Spurs Homer
06-18-2023, 05:46 PM
I would love for the Clippers to get chrissy - and I cannot wait for the media to overhype the Clips as contenders all season long -

until

all three china dolls go out before the playoffs lol

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 05:47 PM

Fuck no

baseline bum
06-18-2023, 05:47 PM
This is a good trade for Phoenix, they sent a player they were going to waive, plus a lesser role player, for a a big time scorer. After the Durant trade Phoenix had no tradable assets other than Ayton, now they're free to use him to replenish their lost depth. This is possibly the only pathway to keep their window open for a couple of years, if they play their cards right.

Beal has a franchise crippling contract. 35% of the cap for a shooter who isn't an especially great shooter and who is always hurt. Bradley Beal is not a guy I'd go into the second apron for. I don't think he's an upgrade over CP0, at least in the short term.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 05:49 PM

He’s abandoned going to the rim in favor of floaters. He barely give any effort, and his teammates fucking hate him.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 05:50 PM
Phoenix is proper fucked for the forseeable future.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 05:52 PM
I can’t wait for them to be in the second apron next year, and have their 2031 FRP put off limits from trading. Any further offense in the following three seasons see it automatically moved to the end of the first round.

Mal
06-18-2023, 05:52 PM
He’s abandoned going to the rim in favor of floaters. He barely give any effort, and his teammates fucking hate him.

I did not follow Suns, like at all, but this sounds like he will be close to cap relief value in trade.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 05:54 PM
I did not follow Suns, like at all, but this sounds like he will be close to cap relief value in trade.

I think there will be teams that see him as a positive value. The Spurs will not be one of those teams.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 06:03 PM
Suns are going to be at the second tax apron just counting four players year after this one, I believe. They don't even have many players under contract starting this off-season, so they have to basically get plumbers and guys off the street. I haven't even looked at their picks situation yet.

TrueSpursFan
06-18-2023, 06:03 PM
they are also looking to add a 3rd team to send chris Paul to. What’s crazy is that, Beal also has the power on where Paul goes to. He has all the power to deny any trade he desires. So if multiple teams are in the mix for Paul, he could choose to accept the trade that he wants to. I bet after this, there are not gonna be many contracts like that anymore if any.

mo7888
06-18-2023, 06:12 PM
Suns are going to be at the second tax apron just counting four players year after this one, I believe. They don't even have many players under contract starting this off-season, so they have to basically get plumbers and guys off the street. I haven't even looked at their picks situation yet.

What picks? (That's pretty close to summing up their pick situation)....

Obstructed_View
06-18-2023, 06:18 PM
I'm so happy. Phoenix is going to not win and still get low draft picks.

KobesAchilles
06-18-2023, 06:18 PM
Ok I need a cap expert here. Bc I’m hearing people say that the Suns should trade Ayton for depth. But isn’t the only reason they can have Aytons contract over the cap bc he was drafted by them. And like other players they bring in on a trade and they are over the cap doesn’t their salary basically double bc of the punitive luxury tax implications. Like I’m not harshly punished bc I have Ayton but if I trade him for equal salary then I become punished bc those players are new? Something like that or I’m just off my rocker?

Obstructed_View
06-18-2023, 06:20 PM
All those guys can play without the ball in their hands
And stay happy? Doubtful. Someone demands a trade before next summer. Book it.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 06:22 PM
What picks? (That's pretty close to summing up their pick situation)....

Looking it up... they have absolutey NO draft picks incoming this decade. None. Only Dallas and Toronto are in the same situation. This is what Phoenix owes:

2025 first round draft pick to Brooklyn
Phoenix's 2025 1st round pick to Brooklyn [Brooklyn-Indiana-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

2027 first round draft pick to Brooklyn
Phoenix's 2027 1st round pick to Brooklyn [Brooklyn-Indiana-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

2028 first round draft pick to Brooklyn (swap, Brooklyn or Philadelphia incoming)
Brooklyn has the right to swap its 2028 1st round pick or, if conveyed to Brooklyn, Philadelphia's 2028 1st round pick for Phoenix's 2028 1st round pick [Brooklyn-Indiana-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

2029 first round draft pick to Brooklyn
Phoenix's 2029 1st round pick to Brooklyn [Brooklyn-Indiana-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

2029 second round draft pick to Oklahoma City
Phoenix's 2029 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City [Oklahoma City-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

So... they owe every other year to Brooklyn, but they do have their SRPs.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 06:33 PM
Devin Booker - beta who learned how to win from Chris Paul
Kevin Durant - biggest beta in sports history
Deandre Ayton - soft pathetic loser who lost his spot to Jock Landale in the POs
Bradley Beal - B player making A+++ cash money

Getting League Pass to watch this mess. The starters will sometimes come out to like 8-12 point leads and the bench will get crushed by 20 just in the half.

Ariel
06-18-2023, 06:47 PM
Devin Booker - beta who learned how to win from Chris Paul
Kevin Durant - biggest beta in sports history
Deandre Ayton - soft pathetic loser who lost his spot to Jock Landale in the POs
Bradley Beal - B player making A+++ cash money

Getting League Pass to watch this mess. The starters will sometimes come out to like 8-12 point leads and the bench will get crushed by 20 just in the half.
They should ideally turn Ayton into a bunch of lesser role players and 2nd round picks and get under the 2nd apron.
I wonder if Beal would be willing to go for a Manu type role, leading the 2nd unit and finishing games.

Ariel
06-18-2023, 06:51 PM
And stay happy? Doubtful. Someone demands a trade before next summer. Book it.
Durant will be the laughing stock of the NBA if he tries to force his way out of another team, I don't think he'll do that. Beal basically just hand picked Phoenix, and he was fine staying in Washington for years. I don't think that happens.

exstatic
06-18-2023, 06:52 PM
Ok I need a cap expert here. Bc I’m hearing people say that the Suns should trade Ayton for depth. But isn’t the only reason they can have Aytons contract over the cap bc he was drafted by them. And like other players they bring in on a trade and they are over the cap doesn’t their salary basically double bc of the punitive luxury tax implications. Like I’m not harshly punished bc I have Ayton but if I trade him for equal salary then I become punished bc those players are new? Something like that or I’m just off my rocker?

Not how it works.

lefty20
06-18-2023, 07:26 PM

Clippers injury rehab center is gonna get even busier next year come playoff time.

Dex
06-18-2023, 07:28 PM

Clippers injury rehab center is gonna get even busier next year come playoff time.

Thank god, just stay away from the Spurs

mo7888
06-18-2023, 07:53 PM
Looking it up... they have absolutey NO draft picks incoming this decade. None. Only Dallas and Toronto are in the same situation. This is what Phoenix owes:

2025 first round draft pick to Brooklyn
Phoenix's 2025 1st round pick to Brooklyn [Brooklyn-Indiana-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

2027 first round draft pick to Brooklyn
Phoenix's 2027 1st round pick to Brooklyn [Brooklyn-Indiana-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

2028 first round draft pick to Brooklyn (swap, Brooklyn or Philadelphia incoming)
Brooklyn has the right to swap its 2028 1st round pick or, if conveyed to Brooklyn, Philadelphia's 2028 1st round pick for Phoenix's 2028 1st round pick [Brooklyn-Indiana-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

2029 first round draft pick to Brooklyn
Phoenix's 2029 1st round pick to Brooklyn [Brooklyn-Indiana-Milwaukee-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

2029 second round draft pick to Oklahoma City
Phoenix's 2029 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City [Oklahoma City-Phoenix, 2/9/2023]

So... they owe every other year to Brooklyn, but they do have their SRPs.

Exactly... I believe the every other year picks they do have now have swap rights with Washington(in Washington'sfavor). They've also sent in some of those 2nd's to Washington.

It's disastrously awful...

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 07:58 PM
Durant will be the laughing stock of the NBA if he tries to force his way out of another team, I don't think he'll do that. Beal basically just hand picked Phoenix, and he was fine staying in Washington for years. I don't think that happens.

Kevin Durant turns 35 before the season starts. He played only 55 and 47 games the last two seasons. After next season, he'll be at $51 and then $54 million. I guess a team might go after him as an expiring and useful player that last season. What's really funny is Booker and Beal will also be making more than $50 million a season by that point.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 08:00 PM
Exactly... I believe the every other year picks they do have now have swap rights with Washington(in Washington'sfavor). They've also sent in some of those 2nd's to Washington.

It's disastrously awful...

I'm hearing about those swaps with Washington. I suppose we don't know what years?

I think Suns need to win it all next year and then it starts going south, if it doesn't already. In their favor is a wasteland of a Western Conference. They probably get a lot of ring-chasers to sign for vet minimum. I don't see how they avoid the second tax apron immediately and basically on a permanent basis...

CGD
06-18-2023, 08:12 PM
It’s swaps, but those should be useless since i have a hard time seeing Wiz ever being better than PHX in the short turn

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 08:15 PM
It’s swaps, but those should be useless since i have a hard time seeing Wiz ever being better than PHX in the short turn

I think it can only be 24 or 26 swaps. Yeah, probably not worth anything since the Wizz will be awful.

Ariel
06-18-2023, 08:24 PM
Kevin Durant turns 35 before the season starts. He played only 55 and 47 games the last two seasons. After next season, he'll be at $51 and then $54 million. I guess a team might go after him as an expiring and useful player that last season. What's really funny is Booker and Beal will also be making more than $50 million a season by that point.
I wouldn't have traded for Durant at the expense of Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson and their whole war chest of picks, but they did and now they're all in and the only way is up. They were not going anywhere as it was and had limited options at adding talent, they solved that problem and now they need to turn Ayton into a functional supporting cast. They have a narrow window of a couple of years to win and in that sense they're at better position than they were in at the beginning of the day.

I don't see how they avoid the second tax apron immediately and basically on a permanent basis...
They're currently at 171.3M, with the 2nd apron being at 179.5M reportedly, which is 8.2M below. Ayton makes 32.5M, so if they move him they can add 40.7M until they reach the 2nd apron if my calculations are correct.

mo7888
06-18-2023, 08:26 PM
I'm hearing about those swaps with Washington. I suppose we don't know what years?

I think Suns need to win it all next year and then it starts going south, if it doesn't already. In their favor is a wasteland of a Western Conference. They probably get a lot of ring-chasers to sign for vet minimum. I don't see how they avoid the second tax apron immediately and basically on a permanent basis...

Correct, we don't know what years on the swap or what 2nd's are involved.

Yes, its next year or bust...and itll take alot of good luck next year for them too.

Efited to add: Marks just said its 6 2nd's and two swaps. Phoenix now has no control over any future pick.

CGD
06-18-2023, 08:35 PM
Having stepped back a little from my initial
reaction, I think this is a good outcome for Wizards given the givens of Beals bitch ass (sorry i live in DMV area and have thoughts about the guy). Some of the sting of not getting meaning assets in the Suns deal goes away if they can flip Paul for expirings (Gordon/Plumlee is my guess) for the Clippers FRP (30th pick), and later if they can flip Kristap for another pick.

This is the rebuild the fan base has been begging for for year now, only the dipshits waited a year too long. But alas… new management doing the right things early in my book.

kobyz
06-18-2023, 08:36 PM
They'll flip Ayton for some semblance of depth and draft capital.

More importantly, this is why you never give a player a NTC. Like ever :lol

I still don't understand this trade, why get so lowball by Beal when you also have leverage on him which is to force him stay in Washington

CGD
06-18-2023, 08:38 PM
I still don't understand this trade, why get so lowball by Beal when you also have leverage on him which is to force him stay in Washington

You really want to pay Beal 200M to sit on the bench? That dude will happily wait them out.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 08:39 PM
Phoenix fans will be eating gruel for the rest of the decade after they get slammed in the WCF next season.

Mugen
06-18-2023, 08:42 PM

:lol They had zero leverage with Beal. Especially with the new FO regime.

The move was to trade him a few years ago. Instead they gave him a max and then inexplicably gave him a no trade clause on top of it.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 08:43 PM
Beal has only played 57, 60, 40, and 50 games in the last four seasons.

Ariel
06-18-2023, 08:45 PM

The move was to trade him a few years ago. Instead they gave him a max and then inexplicably gave him a no trade clause on top of it.
You always have leverage. Trade Porzingis, turn Kuzma into picks, and have him play with G Leaguers, let people know he's keeping you from getting a fair return. Watch his reputation with the fans get ruined, lose sponsorship opportunities, have his personal life affected. Then we'll see if he keeps dictating where he goes by the trade deadline.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 08:47 PM
Anthony Black goes to Wizards at 8, absolutely the worst possible destination for a guy who needs targets.

I can't even think of a best pick for them there. I'd rather trade down and accumulate as many future draft picks as possible. If OKC wants into the top 10, see what they'll give you.

CGD
06-18-2023, 08:52 PM
You always have leverage. Trade Porzingis, turn Kuzma into picks, and have him play with G Leaguers, let people know he's keeping you from getting a fair return. Watch his reputation with the fans get ruined, lose sponsorship opportunities, have his personal life affected. Then we'll see if he keeps dictating where he goes by the trade deadline.

He doesn’t care about that. All he wanted was his bag. He would happily sit and collect them checks. And it’s not like Wizards don’t have risk with that strategy either, having to explain to the fanbase and season ticket holders why management is pursuing a dick measuring contest whilst pay out the nose to do so. Not a good look.

Wizards did the right things here. Good riddance.

CGD
06-18-2023, 08:53 PM
Anthony Black goes to Wizards at 8, absolutely the worst possible destination for a guy who needs targets.

I can't even think of a best pick for them there. I'd rather trade down and accumulate as many future draft picks as possible. If OKC wants into the top 10, see what they'll give you.

I think one of the twins will fall to them and they’ll happily take him.

CGD
06-18-2023, 08:54 PM
Ok— where are all the Kristap lovers out there? Who wants to build the case for KP for Birch + CHA FRP + a bunch of SRPs?

Ariel
06-18-2023, 08:57 PM
He doesn’t care about that. All he wanted was his bag. He would happily sit and collect them checks. And it’s not like Wizards don’t have risk with that strategy either, having to explain to the fanbase and season ticket holders why management is pursuing a dick measuring contest whilst pay out the nose to do so. Not a good look.

Wizards did the right things here. Good riddance.
You don't have to explain anything, you simply leak through the media the reasons why you can't trade him and the favorable deals he blocked. It's very easy to do and come away with your hands clean. He'll collect his checks either way, you just have to make his situation in Washington uncomfortable enough that he doesn't reject a good deal ANYWHERE. Washington blinked first and lost.

CGD
06-18-2023, 09:06 PM
I just disagree. It’s not sustainable for management in the long run to play that game. It’s like the freak out in the public when gas prices increase— nevermind war abroad, congressional uselessness, supply chain yada yada — its always the President’s fault. Always. Human nature to blame the biggest target in the perceived dispute, ESPECIALLY the longer things go.

Wizards new management making the right (but hard) choice here in my view.

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 09:12 PM
It's not even a hard choice. They got what they could for him. Let the Suns pay him $50 million a year for fifty games a season and then crash and burn when they can't stop anybody in the playoffs. Washington starts the rebuild now. First time in a long time their future looked anything like bright.

talkspurs
06-18-2023, 09:31 PM
I am wondering if Miami would have interest in Paul. They could use a PG, would be a championship team. Might not have to give up much and would be good for them. He does not work out would work as an expiring. They could rest him for a good part of the season so hopefully he would be healthy for the PO.

mo7888
06-18-2023, 09:48 PM
Ok— where are all the Kristap lovers out there? Who wants to build the case for KP for Birch + CHA FRP + a bunch of SRPs?

If i really wanted KP I'd rather just sign him in FA...either this summer if he opts out or next

kobyz
06-18-2023, 09:54 PM
You really want to pay Beal 200M to sit on the bench? That dude will happily wait them out.

They didn't even try play leverage with him, no way he would keep hardball for more than 2 days if Wiz give him ultimatum to go to Miami or not to get traded at all, player that in his prime years is in weaken position than the team, and Wiz didn't have reason to hurry, it's doesn't matter if you pay to Paul the big money or to Beal

Degoat
06-18-2023, 09:56 PM
They didn't even try play leverage with him, no way he would keep hardball for more than 2 days if Wiz give him ultimatum to go to Miami or not to get traded at all, player that in his prime years is in weaken position than the team

That’s what I’m saying too, Wizards didn’t use what little leverage they did have to their advantage. Makes you wonder if the agents made a side deal or something

kobyz
06-18-2023, 09:58 PM

They could force his way to Miami who offered 2FRP, just give him ultimatum you going to Miami or not get traded at all

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-18-2023, 09:59 PM
lolk

kobyz
06-18-2023, 09:59 PM
That’s what I’m saying too, Wizards didn’t use what little leverage they did have to their advantage. Makes you wonder if the agents made a side deal or something

NBA most investigation this stuff, very fishy, corrupt trade

Mr. Body
06-18-2023, 10:03 PM

They got absolutely everything they could out of the Suns. Phoenix has not a single lick of draft capital until 2030. This was it.

Dverde
06-18-2023, 10:11 PM
I love this for them. Win or rebuild. They got two years. Probably not going to work out, but it’s possible.

cd98
06-18-2023, 11:00 PM

Please let this happen. It will be the most expensive IR list in NBA history.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-19-2023, 12:44 AM
You don't have to explain anything, you simply leak through the media the reasons why you can't trade him and the favorable deals he blocked. It's very easy to do and come away with your hands clean. He'll collect his checks either way, you just have to make his situation in Washington uncomfortable enough that he doesn't reject a good deal ANYWHERE. Washington blinked first and lost.

You assume there were more favorable deals on the table. This might not have been the case. His contract is poison and he'll still have the NTC with his new team. I thought Miami would have offered something like Lowry, Robinson, pick 18 and maybe a future asset or two, but apparently they got wind Lillard could be had and might not have offered that at all.

itzsoweezee
06-19-2023, 12:57 AM
Are the Wizards finally ready to not be the dumbest run franchise in the league? This is a shocking

Ariel
06-19-2023, 01:02 AM
You assume there were more favorable deals on the table. This might not have been the case. His contract is poison and he'll still have the NTC with his new team. I thought Miami would have offered something like Lowry, Robinson, pick 18 and maybe a future asset or two, but apparently they got wind Lillard could be had and might not have offered that at all.
i'm not assuming anything, reports are BEAL made the call on HIS best interest:
https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1670541024630919170

The no-trade clause in Bradley Beal's contract ultimately allowed him to choose his next destination. Beal picked the Suns over multiple other trade options, including Miami, Milwaukee and Sacramento, sources tell @ShamsCharania
https://theathletic.com/4620733/2023/06/18/bradley-beal-suns-trade-wizards-chris-paul/

There’s at least one other essential question here: Why did the Wizards choose the Suns’ offer over the Miami Heat’s offer? It appears Washington may not have had a choice. At the very end of the process, as Beal weighed pitches from the Suns and the Heat, he had power to determine where he would go.

Mr. Body
06-19-2023, 01:05 AM
Yeah, Beal picked his destination. His agent is also the son of the CEO of the Suns. Neat bit of business.

Ariel
06-19-2023, 01:10 AM
Washington always had a choice. They could have not complied and told him to F off. Like Morey did with Simmons, like the Nets did with Durant and Irving. If they're trying to get you to lose, you make sure they understand they lose as well. We both win, or we both lose. Then reason kicks in.

Ice009
06-19-2023, 01:28 AM
Washington always had a choice. They could have not complied and told him to F off. Like Morey did with Simmons, like the Nets did with Durant and Irving. If they're trying to get you to lose, you make sure they understand they lose as well. We both win, or we both lose. Then reason kicks in.

Yeah, I agree, even though they're the ones that gave him the NTC, they should have played hardball with him so that both come out well from the trade, not just Beal himself.

I wonder what Milwaukee would have offered and/or how serious their offer was.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-19-2023, 04:27 AM
If the wizards are blowing it up, Spurs should get in on Kuzma and/or Avdija. Gotta boost the championship and international DNA on the roster.

Dverde
06-19-2023, 06:16 AM
10911189 (tel:10911189)[/URL]]If the wizards are blowing it up, Spurs should get in on Kuzma and/or Avdija. Gotta boost the championship and international DNA on the roster.

Kuzma is not over himself. He’s a free agent, but I doubt the Spurs are interested.

exstatic
06-19-2023, 06:28 AM

How’d that work out for Philly? They damaged his value themselves, still ended up getting pennys on the dollar in trade, and now it looks like Harden is going to ghost them.

Nets never told anyone to fuck off. Durant got to go exactly where he wanted, and the Kyrie trade wasn’t much better than the Beal Trade, one FRP, versus a couple of swaps.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-19-2023, 07:04 AM
How’d that work out for Philly? They damaged his value themselves, still ended up getting pennys on the dollar in trade, and now it looks like Harden is going to ghost them.

It worked great for Philly - they got Harden for less than what he would have cost them straight from the Rockets.

Nets never told anyone to fuck off. Durant got to go exactly where he wanted, and the Kyrie trade wasn’t much better than the Beal Trade, one FRP, versus a couple of swaps.

Not even in the same ballpark in terms of returns. You're citing 'swaps' as if '24 and '26 swaps mean anything when Washington is entering a total rebuild. Nets got 2 starters that they could flip for value and a completely unprotected 1st from Dallas down the line after Luka's current contract expires, whereas Washington will get a couple of picks in the 50s and salary ballast.

ducks
06-19-2023, 12:46 PM
Suns have to be thinking of limiting minutes for Booker, beal and kd during regular season and hope they are not gassed or hurt for playoffs

R. DeMurre
06-19-2023, 01:13 PM
Wow, it's being reported now that Washington is including Jordan Goodwin in the deal, which is hard to believe-- he's young, on an extremely cheap contract, and a pretty good back up point guard with a great assist-to-TO ratio. That's a coup for Phoenix if true. It immediately solves two of their problems-- depth and PG play. It'll be interesting to see what Porzingis does now. This offseason is shaping up to be really interesting.

spurraider21
06-19-2023, 01:36 PM
Wow, it's being reported now that Washington is including Jordan Goodwin in the deal, which is hard to believe-- he's young, on an extremely cheap contract, and a pretty good back up point guard with a great assist-to-TO ratio. That's a coup for Phoenix if true. It immediately solves two of their problems-- depth and PG play. It'll be interesting to see what Porzingis does now. This offseason is shaping up to be really interesting.
washington would have been better off eating 1 more year of beal's deal than looking to trade him this offseason if this was the only deal. guess it depends on whether they can get any meaningful return for cp0

Mr. Body
06-19-2023, 01:42 PM
washington would have been better off eating 1 more year of beal's deal than looking to trade him this offseason if this was the only deal. guess it depends on whether they can get any meaningful return for cp0

Beal had full control over where he could be traded to. Why sit on his salary for yet another year?

mo7888
06-19-2023, 02:05 PM
CP3 just have an interview and cited Isaiah Thomas as playing a role in the trade.... its starting to make sense now...

R. DeMurre
06-19-2023, 02:17 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Beal's, but moving on from an undersized 38 year old PG who gets injured almost every playoff season isn't the most shocking decision, even if he did have a HOF career. Beal + Goodwin + depth from an Ayton trade would make them better as a team.

CorrectCrusader
06-19-2023, 02:37 PM
If the wizards are blowing it up, Spurs should get in on Kuzma and/or Avdija. Gotta boost the championship and international DNA on the roster.

Love to see what we could make of Deni.

Obstructed_View
06-19-2023, 02:39 PM
I don't know why people think it's a good idea to put stars who score a lot of points and never win together on the same team. Lebron somehow gets ring chasers to follow him, but who is gonna follow KD and Beal?

ducks
06-19-2023, 02:53 PM
Beal had full control over where he could be traded to. Why sit on his salary for yet another year?

Yep and new rules july 1 with new agreement
Suns had to do this before the new rules

mo7888
06-19-2023, 03:17 PM
I don't know why people think it's a good idea to put stars who score a lot of points and never win together on the same team. Lebron somehow gets ring chasers to follow him, but who is gonna follow KD and Beal?

Can the suns even sign chasers? If theure over the 2nd apron aren't they prohibited from signing buyout players who had contracts over $12.5M?

Obstructed_View
06-19-2023, 04:52 PM
Can the suns even sign chasers? If theure over the 2nd apron aren't they prohibited from signing buyout players who had contracts over $12.5M?
Surely they expect good role players to be willing to take league minimum to win a championship with selfish one-dimensional stars. Honestly, it couldn't happen to a better team.

mo7888
06-19-2023, 05:21 PM
Surely they expect good role players to be willing to take league minimum to win a championship with selfish one-dimensional stars. Honestly, it couldn't happen to a better team.

Im saying i think the new CBA prevents them from signing buyout players for the minimum in they're over the 2nd apron.

Obstructed_View
06-19-2023, 05:44 PM
Im saying i think the new CBA prevents them from signing buyout players for the minimum in they're over the 2nd apron.
Which would mean they have to fill out their roster with league minimum contracts, yes?

mo7888
06-19-2023, 06:11 PM
Which would mean they have to fill out their roster with league minimum contracts, yes?

League minimum giys who werent bought out by another team that season making over $12.5M.... yes..

ducks
06-19-2023, 06:56 PM
https://burncitysports.com/2023/06/16/suns-are-pursuing-brogdon-collins-in-trades/

Ayton to Houston ?

tonight...you
06-19-2023, 07:26 PM
https://burncitysports.com/2023/06/16/suns-are-pursuing-brogdon-collins-in-trades/

Ayton to Houston ?
Would love it.
That team is so... what they totes need is Ayton to complete the dumpster fire into a raging inferno as Udoka is busy porking his secretary.

ducks
06-21-2023, 05:57 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-suns-considering-flipping-the-script-on-plan-for-deandre-ayton/ar-AA1cPZ3u?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c425def4886c49989ebbd03d2f9f68cc&ei=20

Suns can not trade Ayton at their price

Mr. Body
06-21-2023, 06:10 PM
Have to say, a certain type of SpursTalk 'brain trust' was variously obsessed with getting a number of players who are now absurdly overpaid, their teams are desperate to get rid of them, and there is no interest in them whatsoever.

- John Collins
- Ben Simmons
- Deandre Ayton

Even Zach Lavine is on the block.