PDA

View Full Version : Trade KJ for the seventh pick? Article presents hypothetical trade

Desert Spur
06-19-2023, 09:09 PM
Basically, the writer suggests trading KJ for the right to draft Anthony Black. :tu or :nope ?

https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/indiana-pacers-rumor-trade-no-7-pick-san-antonio-spurs-interested-nba-draft

John B
06-19-2023, 09:15 PM
Basically, the writer suggests trading KJ for the right to draft Anthony Black. :tu or :nope ?

https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/indiana-pacers-rumor-trade-no-7-pick-san-antonio-spurs-interested-nba-draft

This is like reading back the the last 10 threads in ST :lol:lol:lol.

Desert Spur
06-19-2023, 09:23 PM
Jmo, kinda like the idea of having 6'7 pg with a high basketball iq. He and Wemby could play up in the clouds. Imagine them on a pick and roll, with 3-point sniper on the wing as an option.

buttsR4rebounding
06-19-2023, 09:30 PM
I saw an article in a Detroit paper that talked about trading KJ and a future FRP for #5.

Degoat
06-19-2023, 09:37 PM
Keldon isn’t going anywhere, I get that his fit is a little odd now but people don’t appreciate Keldon enough as a 23 year old he was asked to lead our team in scoring no way in Hell did anybody expect that when we drafted him in 2019 lol and NBA players enjoy him, KD/draymond called him a future all star during the olympics

Dejounte
06-19-2023, 10:23 PM
This isn’t a “new” article. They’re referencing spurstalk and now it’s just a continuous loop by people thinking it’s a new article.

buttsR4rebounding
06-19-2023, 10:31 PM
I don’t think KJ is traded right now, but Wright saying they wouldn’t trade KJ or Devin means nothing. Even if they were contemplating scenarios where the would he wouldn’t say it beforehand.

DPG21920
06-19-2023, 10:34 PM
Ya :lol Literally we discussed this exact thing on here…I brought up Keldon to INDY and so did others.

DET stuff is new - HIGHLY doubt they trade that pick let alone for Keldon, but maybe? DET fans I speak to are really pissed about landing 5 knowing it was going to be the cutoff area for having a slam dunk pick (Wemby, Miller, Scoot). So I think there’s a big divide amongst the fan base on who to take or what to do (trade back, trade out etc..)

poopbox
06-19-2023, 10:47 PM
Of course. We don't need a tweener small forward who can't do anything but make wide open 3's.

Keldon the new Poeltl. Get him out of here.

Obstructed_View
06-19-2023, 10:58 PM
How often does a draft pick turn into Keldon Johnson? Just curious.

DPG21920
06-19-2023, 11:06 PM

Rare and the funniest thing is I looked up all star data based on lottery order and pick 7 is BYFAR the worst % odds over the last 30 years of picks to make all star in the top 10. It’s like 10% or less turn into all stars from that spot.

TekXX
06-19-2023, 11:42 PM

Mediocre? 50/50 chance.

EricB
06-20-2023, 12:06 AM
Mediocre? 50/50 chance.

yeah you get guys who can score 20 a game 29th overall all the time. Brilliant.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2023, 01:08 AM
Of course. We don't need a tweener small forward who can't do anything but make wide open 3's.

Don't we want Poetl back now?

John B
06-20-2023, 01:10 AM
People think trading Keldon is because he’s not appreciated. We traded coach favorite George Hill for #15 pick for a potential defensive player to replace a Bowen. Nobody knew Kawhi would be All-NBA or maybe PATFO did. Lakers traded starting Center Vlade Divac for a high schooler that turned into Kobe. If PATFO sees someone special that they can pick, specially to pair with generational talent Wemby and a chance of creating a dynamic tandem, Timmy/Tony or Shaq/Kobe, why not? I’m not emotionally attached to Keldon and shouldn’t Spurs GM be to grab a better fit.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-20-2023, 01:25 AM

Keldon can finish at the rim pretty well with the And 1

DAF86
06-20-2023, 02:12 AM
Keldon isn’t going anywhere, I get that his fit is a little odd now but people don’t appreciate Keldon enough as a 23 year old he was asked to lead our team in scoring no way in Hell did anybody expect that when we drafted him in 2019 lol and NBA players enjoy him, KD/draymond called him a future all star during the olympics

Keldon is empty calories. Trade while his value is high, tbh.

Obstructed_View
06-20-2023, 04:08 AM
Mediocre? 50/50 chance.

:lol

BacktoBasics
06-20-2023, 08:34 AM
I’m a huge fan of Black but I wouldn’t trade him.

Seventyniner
06-20-2023, 08:57 AM
Rare and the funniest thing is I looked up all star data based on lottery order and pick 7 is BYFAR the worst % odds over the last 30 years of picks to make all star in the top 10. It’s like 10% or less turn into all stars from that spot.

The #8 slot is worse. I just ran across this yesterday.

https://www.theringer.com/nba-draft/2023/6/19/23765364/nba-draft-2023-eighth-pick-curse

stnick2261
06-20-2023, 09:12 AM
I'm like the dog meme "no take, only throw". I want #7 or #8 pick, but I don't want to give up KJ.

Dejounte
06-20-2023, 09:15 AM
People think trading Keldon is because he’s not appreciated. We traded coach favorite George Hill for #15 pick for a potential defensive player to replace a Bowen. Nobody knew Kawhi would be All-NBA or maybe PATFO did. Lakers traded starting Center Vlade Divac for a high schooler that turned into Kobe. If PATFO sees someone special that they can pick, specially to pair with generational talent Wemby and a chance of creating a dynamic tandem, Timmy/Tony or Shaq/Kobe, why not? I’m not emotionally attached to Keldon and shouldn’t Spurs GM be to grab a better fit.

You know this logic applies to Vassell, Branham, Sochan, and anybody else on the roster, right? I hope you aren’t emotionally attached to them. The team more than likely needs to give up one or more of those guys than the fantasy we have about Keldon.

John B
06-20-2023, 09:31 AM
You know this logic applies to Vassell, Branham, Sochan, and anybody else on the roster, right? I hope you aren’t emotionally attached to them. The team more than likely needs to give up one or more of those guys than the fantasy we have about Keldon.

I’m speaking in general. But I think the elephant in the room is Keldon. I doubt he takes the 6th man role. And I can see him prosper, even becoming an All-Star in the East, maybe Indiana with Halliburton if they trade him for the 7th pick.

rjv
06-20-2023, 09:39 AM
the Spurs likely don't have KJ out there at The Rock signing a part of the flooring if they have intentions of trading him. highly unlikely that he is going anywhere before the season starts.

Atl Spur
06-20-2023, 09:39 AM
I’m speaking in general. But I think the elephant in the room is Keldon. I doubt he takes the 6th man role. And I can see him prosper, even becoming an All-Star in the East, maybe Indiana with Halliburton if they trade him for the 7th pick.

Keldon needs to come off the bench / SF

Dejounte
06-20-2023, 09:41 AM

So a team would trade their 7th pick for a guy who would be a 6th man for us. Make it make sense. At least DJ was already an All Star when he was traded for value. Keldon is arguably yielding more value than DJ did in your fantasy yet he has accomplished nothing. The elephant in the room is the delusion of some people here. I cant wait for Thursday to come.

John B
06-20-2023, 09:49 AM
So a team would trade their 7th pick for a guy who would be a 6th man for us. Make it make sense. At least DJ was already an All Star when he was traded for value. Keldon is arguably yielding more value than DJ did in your fantasy yet he has accomplished nothing. The elephant in the room is the delusion of some people here. I cant wait for Thursday to come.

Like you I’m just waiting for Thursday to come. In the meantime, what ST bitches do before then?

K...
06-20-2023, 09:54 AM
the Spurs likely don't have KJ out there at The Rock signing a part of the flooring if they have intentions of trading him. highly unlikely that he is going anywhere before the season starts.

They Won't trade him now, but the trade keldon movement is based on wemby sochan and vassell being better. Keldon is a tweeter playing at SF, and his strengths, driving for buckets, is exactly what wemby does. What is keldon going to do in the wemby verse that wemby and sochan not do better?

manufan10
06-20-2023, 10:01 AM

John B
06-20-2023, 10:04 AM

You expect him to say NO to that.

Kevin
06-20-2023, 10:06 AM
Like I said anther thread Keldon has a knack for scoring but he's a bad defender, a weak rebounder for a SF and just shot 32% from three last season. He's poor fit next to Wemby and Sochan and is by far the most expendable among the three of them. Not sure why people are married to the guy.

I still think the Raps pick would need to be included with Keldon to get Black because of the various holes in Keldons game.

mo7888
06-20-2023, 10:10 AM

I don't think that's what he said re: KJ/Devin. He said something like 'we dont have any plans to trade those guys'. That's just Press talk waiting to see what materializes when were on the clock.

exstatic
06-20-2023, 10:20 AM
I don't think that's what he said re: KJ/Devin. He said something like 'we dont have any plans to trade those guys'. That's just Press talk waiting to see what materializes when were on the clock.

Based one one of the tweets, he literally cut off the question of Keldon or Vassell trades before it was finished being asked. Didn't seem pro forma.

R. DeMurre
06-20-2023, 11:44 AM
Talking about packaging picks doesn't involve any human egos or feelings, but talking about trading specific players does in a big big way. If some kooky rival GM falls in love with the idea of KJ as a 20 ppg piece and makes a great offer, it'd be crazy not to accept it. I just don't think it'll happen.

baseline bum
06-20-2023, 12:20 PM
Spurs are probably going to have to move Keldon anyways with Sochan looking like he'll be a better player so if someone they love is still on the board I wouldn't be opposed to a trade.

paperboy77
06-20-2023, 12:33 PM
I don't know much about Black but do know Kelden is not the guy we need. Unless there's a big trade involving KJ about to happen this is the most we'll be able to squeeze out a KJ trade. KJ is going to be reduced to Willie Anderson status after SA got situated with Elliott and DRob. Trade him while he's hot!

Mr. Body
06-20-2023, 12:37 PM
I don't know much about Black but do know Kelden is not the guy we need. Unless there's a big trade involving KJ about to happen this is the most we'll be able to squeeze out a KJ trade. KJ is going to be reduced to Willie Anderson status after SA got situated with Elliott and DRob. Trade him while he's hot!

It's just as likely Keldon will take off this year with eyes on the team. Firing off threes, hard drives to the basket as gifts from the gravity Wemby brings.

That said, I think the days of splurging draft picks for players are over. Beal sort of reset things and few teams look better for having done so.

Seventyniner
06-20-2023, 12:51 PM
Saying you don't want to trade Keldon only means the Spurs aren't the ones making the offers. There is certainly a price at which the Spurs would trade him. That's basically what happened with White: the Spurs really wanted to keep him but Boston made a rich enough offer that the Spurs took it.

exstatic
06-20-2023, 01:17 PM
It's just as likely Keldon will take off this year with eyes on the team. Firing off threes, hard drives to the basket as gifts from the gravity Wemby brings.

That said, I think the days of splurging draft picks for players are over. Beal sort of reset things and few teams look better for having done so.

I don’t agree. This was a very specific case of a player past his sell by date with gobs of money still due, and a no trade clause thrown in for good measure.

ginobilized
06-20-2023, 03:06 PM
My gut tells me there may be a little extra draft day wizardry for the Spurs but nothing major. Maybe a late first rounder if they are crazy about someone.

This team really played without a focal point last season and in many ways, they overachieved.
Putting Wemby in the center of this mix changes everything. Not only will it be easier for other players, it will lead to winning which is irreplaceable in team-building.
Sochan, Branham, Vassell and KJ are all going to have the game become easier.

Once they see what they have, I think they will make moves.
Poetl returning would be a pretty great score.

exstatic
06-20-2023, 03:16 PM
My gut tells me there may be a little extra draft day wizardry for the Spurs but nothing major. Maybe a late first rounder if they are crazy about someone.

This team really played without a focal point last season and in many ways, they overachieved.
Putting Wemby in the center of this mix changes everything. Not only will it be easier for other players, it will lead to winning which is irreplaceable in team-building.
Sochan, Branham, Vassell and KJ are all going to have the game become easier.

Once they see what they have, I think they will make moves.
Poetl returning would be a pretty great score.

I think you're wrong, and for one reason. We were accumulating assets to try to get a franchise player. More picks, more chances. Don't need to do that any more since we won the lottery, so it's time to spend some loot. I'd leave the 2 ATL picks and swap, and the Boston swap off the table, but that still leaves us a nice war chest, and three FRPs to use in this draft. We could well be stuck with three FRPs in the draft next year again if we don't spend some Thursday night.

rascal
06-20-2023, 05:01 PM
Keldon is empty calories. Trade while his value is high, tbh.

Keldon is not likely to ever score 20 a game again. Better to trade him while his value is high.

spurraider21
06-20-2023, 05:10 PM
Keldon is not likely to ever score 20 a game again. Better to trade him while his value is high.
but will manu ever score 20+ in a single game again?

rascal
06-20-2023, 05:20 PM
but will manu ever score 20+ in a single game again?

I mean average 20 a game for Keldon.

TD 21
06-20-2023, 05:36 PM

Who said it was high? If random fans on a message board know to not read into counting stats without context, executives of NBA teams somehow don't?

JR3
06-20-2023, 05:44 PM
I agree with many here that we need to trade KJ while he is hot. Limited ceiling. If we can fill a positional need with high upside and a rookie salary, the net positive is going to be better for our team.

rascal
06-20-2023, 06:27 PM
Who said it was high? If random fans on a message board know to not read into counting stats without context, executives of NBA teams somehow don't?

It isn't very high but it's the highest it will be.

RC_Drunkford
06-20-2023, 06:39 PM
Players usually take another leap in their 5th year. I don’t think you have to trade Keldon right now

Chinook
06-20-2023, 08:12 PM

Also, if the Spurs were planning on trading Keldon, you could imagine Wright rejecting it like that in a way that would come off as a bit defensive. Like:

Interviewer: "What's your plan for draft day?"

Wright (coyly): "It's a secret."

I: "Is it (a bunch of stuff that isn't the Spurs' plan)?"

W (finger on over his mouth as he fights to contain a grin: "I don't know, maybe."

I: "What about (exactly what the Spurs' plan is)?"

W (caught off guard and a bit annoyed): "N-no. That's the LEAST likely thing we'd do."

Unless Wright is worried that anything but a unequivocal rejection would cause issues with Keldon and Devin, there isn't a ton of upside in being clear about their plans not to trade them. Even if they don't intend to, teams might call asking about them, which can open up conversations about other ways to get their pick. Any team that is willing to trade a pick in the Spurs' desired range for KJ/DV is one who has declared their pick has a price. It's more likely that Wright said that to either keep those guys from moping or to drive up their value than it was just an admission of fact. We already know Wright knows how to lie due to the whole Primo thing.

Mr. Body
06-20-2023, 08:17 PM
Keldong is going to look effin fantastic playing as a third option next to Wembanyama. He's going to get so many rim-crunching dunks on barely covered drives and get a lot of low-stress threes.

R. DeMurre
06-20-2023, 09:47 PM

You don't need a consensus-- you need one GM who likes him. Almost every analyst I know of thought the Lakers were foolish for giving up a bunch of assets to land Westbrook, right? But they still did it. GMs in the NBA make odd decisions every year. Some GMs are more skeptical of impact stats than others.

DAF86
06-20-2023, 09:54 PM

I do think Keldon's trade value is high. Adding his production, his team friendly contract, and the uncertainty of how far he can still develop as a player, I expect many teams to show interest in him. Specially for a mid to late first round pick. You won't get many wings that can put up 20ppg in the NBA on that draft range.

Vince Carter's ankle
06-21-2023, 01:51 AM

Spurs will have no all stars so no one gets to 20 points a game.

Spurs will have the worst record in franchise history.
clown, your predictions don't come true.
stop posting and embarrassing yourself.