PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the NON Wemby part of the draft?!

TrainOfThought5
06-23-2023, 12:00 AM
Yeah we all love Wemby. But what is going on with PG?! We going into the season with Tre Jones and a bunch of maybes? No legitimate C with upside?? Wtf is going on?!

Mr. Body
06-23-2023, 12:04 AM
Zach Collins is the C with upside. We weren't coming out of this draft with another C.

NASpurs
06-23-2023, 12:05 AM
There are other ways to improve besides the draft when you already have your centerpiece. Seems like a knee jerk thread.

DAF86
06-23-2023, 12:07 AM
Spurs fumbled what could have been a A++ draft. All they needed to do was pick one of the many 1st round talents still available at 33, let alone trying to move up.

SpursFan86
06-23-2023, 12:08 AM
- Not surprised we didn’t end up trading into the first round…never bought that in the first place even though I think it made sense

- Trading out of 33 seemed terrible in the moment, but landing Cissoko at 44 made up for it. If you told me going into the draft we’d leave the 2nd round with Cissoko and two 2nds I’d be pumped

- Still would’ve preferred some of the guys available at 33 (Bailey, Walsh, Andre Jackson are 3 names that come to mind), but again, hard to complain too much because I do think Cissoko is a nice pick especially when you include the 2nd rounders coming with him

- Rice seems like a good two-way guy

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2023, 12:09 AM
:lol Spurs fans right now at the intersection of entitlement and desperation after experiencing a couple years of life without the playoffs.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-23-2023, 12:14 AM
Not sure what trade people are mad about. IIRC Spurs took Wemby at 1, Cissoko at 33 and Rice at 44. Then found a couple of 2nds behind the sofa. Great night.

Mr. Body
06-23-2023, 12:16 AM
Spurs fumbled what could have been a A++ draft. All they needed to do was pick one of the many 1st round talents still available at 33, let alone trying to move up.

They did pick one of those 33 pick talents, but at pick 44.

NASpurs
06-23-2023, 12:17 AM
Spurs have 3 first round draft picks next year, right? Don't know if next year's draft is weak or not. If not, package them for someone good I guess.

Russ
06-23-2023, 12:54 AM
Could have had Leonard Miller at 33.

Could have had a number of players at 44.

Not particularly inspiring but I'll trust them to get it right in the end.

TekXX
06-23-2023, 01:05 AM
Let's hope the 46 second round picks we have can go towards a decent trade

Mr. Body
06-23-2023, 01:05 AM
Could have had Leonard Miller at 33.

Could have had a number of players at 44.

Not particularly inspiring but I'll trust them to get it right in the end.

Leonard Miller has promise, but is a longterm project who is an absolute disaster on defense. I still expect people to bring this shit up over and over again.

heyheymymy
06-23-2023, 01:21 AM
Wait until after free agency to see the final concept. If bailing on 33 opened up roster slots for some established players I think SpursTalk will ultimately be very pleased with the choices.

Wu36
06-23-2023, 01:26 AM
To many current players need a chance to improve
to care much more than wemby this draft

rascal
06-23-2023, 08:26 AM
The Homers would be happy with anything the Spurs did.

Spurs didn't address PG or shooting.

Wemby fell into their laps and they did as little as possible to improve the team outside of that lucky Wemby win.

Spurs9
06-23-2023, 08:33 AM
Keep all draft picks away from that massage lady tbh

Mr. Body
06-23-2023, 08:41 AM

Wemby fell into their laps and they did as little as possible to improve the team outside of that lucky Wemby win.

They weren't going to get shooting out of this draft. We already have a ton of players. We already have a good number of shooters for now and the ones who 'technically' are not, will be soon, like Wemby.

The PG thing is a puzzler, but they couldn't get anything done and that was a likely result. Our lottery pick got us Wembanyama instead.

Extra Stout
06-23-2023, 08:43 AM
I choose to believe that the Spurs had a tentative deal with Orlando to trade up to 11 for Cason Wallace. This forced OKC to trade up to 10 for Wallace. Once that happened, the Spurs walked away from the trade.

Also, somebody, maybe the Spurs, was flirting with Indiana for the 7 pick, forcing Washington to trade up one spot for Coulibaly.

Extra Stout
06-23-2023, 08:51 AM

I think the plan is to “see what they have,” i.e. play young guys like Branham and Wesley tons of minutes to see if they sink or swim. They’ll also give run to some of the marginal guys like Mamu and Champagnie, again, to “see what they have.” I also think they’ll do weird experimental lineups like Sochan at point guard.

Next year will be sort of a semi-tank. They’ll “be patient.” Really I think they have their eye on another high lottery pick next year to acquire a second star.

Mr. Body
06-23-2023, 08:52 AM
I choose to believe that the Spurs had a tentative deal with Orlando to trade up to 11 for Cason Wallace. This forced OKC to trade up to 10 for Wallace. Once that happened, the Spurs walked away from the trade.

Also, somebody, maybe the Spurs, was flirting with Indiana for the 7 pick, forcing Washington to trade up one spot for Coulibaly.

I'm trying to think through about that 10 spot trade.

- Orlando picked Jett Howard earlier than he was mocked pretty much universally. Certainly Orlando could have just valued him. Or it could suggest they were going to pick him slightly later.

- If the Spurs had the 11 locked up and wanted Cason Wallace, why not just take the pick and pick their next guy? Did they really not have a next guy? It's possible.

- My feeling is that it's not the Spurs that had a deal with Orlando, but a team like Utah (16). Orlando expected to take Howard at 16 and Utah really wanted Wallace and knew they needed to get him before OKC (12) or Toronto (13). And that fell through. They took their number 2 guy at that point staying at 16, Keyonte George.

MultiTroll
06-23-2023, 09:25 AM
No legitimate C with upside?? Wtf is going on?!
Drew Timme signed by Bucks as an undrafter.
Solid selection.

Wouldn't have minded Spurs doing the same.
FFS get Wemby some muscle to help on the frontline. Don't want to see Timmy Duncan surrounded by washed Michael Finley at the PF. Or Matt Bonner.

DAF86
06-23-2023, 01:03 PM
They did pick one of those 33 pick talents, but at pick 44.

Then they could have had another top 33 talent. It doesn't make sense any way you look at it.

Mr. Body
06-23-2023, 01:10 PM
Then they could have had another top 33 talent. It doesn't make sense any way you look at it.

What are they going to do with a third rookie?

spurraider21
06-23-2023, 01:11 PM
:lol Spurs fans right now at the intersection of entitlement and desperation after experiencing a couple years of life without the playoffs.
i bet you could tell me what Pop had for lunch yesterday

spurraider21
06-23-2023, 01:13 PM
What are they going to do with a third rookie?
the same thing they're going to do with those 2026 and 2028 second round picks they just added to the ledger

Ariel
06-23-2023, 01:18 PM
The reasoning is probably that adding a third rookie isn't "free", there's a cost of opportunity in that probably they would have had to make a decision quicker on another youngster already on the roster (like Barlow, Champagnie, Bassey, Wesley) and they didn't think higher of the available options than they do about their own talent. So if that's the case, it makes sense. Also, nobody would have complained if they'd taken Cissoko at 33 and sold 44, this way they got an extra 2 seconds and likely a more favorable contract on Cissoko. Again, not what I was expecting, but nothing to make a big deal about.

Ariel
06-23-2023, 01:21 PM
the same thing they're going to do with those 2026 and 2028 second round picks they just added to the ledger
Those future 2nds can be traded 5 at a time, in a couple smaller trades you can wipe the slate clean... as long as you don't take too long to do so. I think it's the '24 and '25 2nd rounders that should be used soon, the future ones are currency.

Ariel
06-23-2023, 01:28 PM
Since Dallas wasn't a threat to take Wallace, it's pretty clear OKC feared Orlando or a third team would snatch him had they not traded up. However, I've seen no indication that it was the Spurs, so you may believe what you want but it's not any more likely than, say, Toronto moving up, or Atlanta, or whomever.

I remember hearing something about it yesterday, can't remember which team but it wasn't the Spurs. In any case, they made the trade just to make sure, if Indiana had another real option on the table for #7 it would have cost Washington a hell of a lot more than 2 future 2nd rounders to move up.

K...
06-23-2023, 01:34 PM
Chris paul just got traded. The market for pigs via trade is still open. Not saying It's likely but the best pgs are veterans and free agents:

Seventyniner
06-23-2023, 01:46 PM

I think there are several reasons why it is better to have multiple seconds in the future (2026 and beyond) rather than right now.

Seconds will be a cheap way to fill out the roster once the Spurs start operating over the cap
Teams in the "multiple second apron offender" category will value seconds far more than they do now and that won't really kick in until 2026 and beyond
If recent trades are any indication (Josh Richardson, Gary Payton II), several seconds can land you a helpful role player
Future seconds can be rolled even further into the future
The flatness of drafts in the second round plus high seconds' usual contract demands for guaranteed money means sometimes it's actually better to have a pick in the 40s than the 30s, especially if you have a roster crunch

CGD
06-23-2023, 01:47 PM
Yeah we all love Wemby. But what is going on with PG?! We going into the season with Tre Jones and a bunch of maybes? No legitimate C with upside?? Wtf is going on?!

Seems like they need to look closely at:
- VanVleet (probably would cost $120m/4ys which is Brunson $$)
- Tyus Jones (may cost a FRP + you have to extend him)
- Austin Reaves (not clean PG; need to overpay him but still less than FVV)

Or they can muddle though with what they have, while hopefully not having to overpay Tre Jones. Make this a priority for next year's draft.

spurraider21
06-23-2023, 02:02 PM

Or they can muddle though with what they have, while hopefully not having to overpay Tre Jones. Make this a priority for next year's draft.
between these options i'd probably just re-sign Tre and try to sign Reaves in addition to that

Ariel
06-23-2023, 02:17 PM
Tyus Jones is an expiring contract, we can sign him next offseason if we want him. Plus I'm not so sure he'd be ecstatic to kick out / block his little brother, that'd make for some funky family dynamics. Personally I'm not super thrilled with the free agents available, but surely some trade opportunity will arise, if you're patient and diligent something always comes up. We sure have the assets.

spurraider21
06-23-2023, 02:21 PM
could also see if miami wants to move off of Fat Lowry this summer. have him as an expiring placeholder if we dont want to make a multiyear commitment to a backup caliber Tre, either in a direct deal with them or as part of a lillard deal

Obstructed_View
06-23-2023, 02:22 PM
There are other ways to improve besides the draft when you already have your centerpiece. Seems like a knee jerk thread.

This was guaranteed to be exactly that. Somehow draft night makes guys fall in love with every player available after pick 30.

CGD
06-23-2023, 02:26 PM
could also see if miami wants to move off of Fat Lowry this summer. have him as an expiring placeholder if we dont want to make a multiyear commitment to a backup caliber Tre, either in a direct deal with them or as part of a lillard deal

I don't dislike it, but obviously we'd need to be enticed

Mr. Body
06-23-2023, 02:32 PM

This is the only currently available player that appeals to me, tbh. Miami probably will use him as an expiring to peel off a player that can help them now, however.

Hell no to a huge, long FVV contract.

Austin Reaves is a player who has done well for like one year in a very specific circumstance. I don't want to pay him $20 mil and don't think the team would, either.

DAF86
06-23-2023, 02:34 PM
The reasoning is probably that adding a third rookie isn't "free", there's a cost of opportunity in that probably they would have had to make a decision quicker on another youngster already on the roster (like Barlow, Champagnie, Bassey, Wesley) and they didn't think higher of the available options than they do about their own talent. So if that's the case, it makes sense. Also, nobody would have complained if they'd taken Cissoko at 33 and sold 44, this way they got an extra 2 seconds and likely a more favorable contract on Cissoko. Again, not what I was expecting, but nothing to make a big deal about.

I'm not fine with taking a guy with a shooting mental block when there were guys like Colby, Bailey and Rupert still available. If one of those guys turn out to be a solid NBA player, Wright and co. are gonna look really bad.

Mr. Body
06-23-2023, 02:50 PM
I'm not fine with taking a guy with a shooting mental block when there were guys like Colby, Bailey and Rupert still available. If one of those guys turn out to be a solid NBA player, Wright and co. are gonna look really bad.

Let us know when that happens.

JPB
06-23-2023, 02:58 PM
I think there are several reasons why it is better to have multiple seconds in the future (2026 and beyond) rather than right now.

Seconds will be a cheap way to fill out the roster once the Spurs start operating over the cap
Teams in the "multiple second apron offender" category will value seconds far more than they do now and that won't really kick in until 2026 and beyond
If recent trades are any indication (Josh Richardson, Gary Payton II), several seconds can land you a helpful role player
Future seconds can be rolled even further into the future
The flatness of drafts in the second round plus high seconds' usual contract demands for guaranteed money means sometimes it's actually better to have a pick in the 40s than the 30s, especially if you have a roster crunch

Nicely summed up.. NBA GMs see the big picture and always try to see how to optimize any of their choices on all aspects and ramifications of a ball club, on the short and long terms. They're not playing 2K on fan forums, there are elements in their reflexion and decisions that people don't necessraily take into account. I mean, that's why they're paid the big bucks and we're playing virtual GMS on the Internet.

NASpurs
06-23-2023, 03:20 PM
You also can't appease Wemby with his dream of winning sooner rather than later and have already a bunch of young prospects on your team and then draft another 3 rookies. I'm not even a PATFO fart sniffer but hopefully all that draft capital and cap space leads to proven talent in the future.

Ariel
06-23-2023, 03:31 PM
And Cissoko has a shooting mental block as opposed to Rupert who doesn't? :lol
https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=amari-bailey--sidy-cissoko--colby-jones--rayan-rupert
Look, Cissoko wasn't the first on my board, but no player was without flaws. Colby Jones and Amarin Bailey were "safer" prospects, Cissoko is a higher variance prospect meaning a wider range of possible outcomes, with lower floor but higher ceiling. He's got tools you can't teach, and it's not impossible for him to learn to shoot and play smarter and more under control. Maybe he gets it, maybe he doesn't, but I don't think he's clearly a lesser prospect than any of those. Maybe he ends up better, maybe he doesn't, but if one of those ends up better while the rest suck it's dishonest to pick the better of the bunch and ignore the others to make a point. This isn't the Primo draft where there was an obvious better option, everyone at that spot were prospects. Plus, it's out there that Rupert's agent called teams telling them NOT to pick him because he already had a long term guaranteed contract set for his client, which ended up being with the Blazers. Maybe the Spurs didn't feel like committing 3/4 guaranteed years to Rupert, and I can't blame them. All in all, it's a reasonable pick, IN CONTEXT.

sfernald
06-23-2023, 03:45 PM

I see a couple other options.

With Amen heading to the Magic, they really have a horde of young point guards. Too many really that can’t shoot, Jalen Suggs may be available for a very reasonable price.

Monte Morris was the starting point guard for the Washington Wizards last year and they are looking to unload him. And we have plenty of seconds which they really seem to love over there!

DAF86
06-23-2023, 03:59 PM
Let us know when that happens.

You sure you want that? :lol

DAF86
06-23-2023, 04:03 PM
And Cissoko has a shooting mental block as opposed to Rupert who doesn't? :lol
https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=amari-bailey--sidy-cissoko--colby-jones--rayan-rupert
Look, Cissoko wasn't the first on my board, but no player was without flaws. Colby Jones and Amarin Bailey were "safer" prospects, Cissoko is a higher variance prospect meaning a wider range of possible outcomes, with lower floor but higher ceiling. He's got tools you can't teach, and it's not impossible for him to learn to shoot and play smarter and more under control. Maybe he gets it, maybe he doesn't, but I don't think he's clearly a lesser prospect than any of those. Maybe he ends up better, maybe he doesn't, but if one of those ends up better while the rest suck it's dishonest to pick the better of the bunch and ignore the others to make a point. This isn't the Primo draft where there was an obvious better option, everyone at that spot were prospects. Plus, it's out there that Rupert's agent called teams telling them NOT to pick him because he already had a long term guaranteed contract set for his client, which ended up being with the Blazers. Maybe the Spurs didn't feel like committing 3/4 guaranteed years to Rupert, and I can't blame them. All in all, it's a reasonable pick, IN CONTEXT.

I'm not talking about a "shooting mental block" becuase of a low %, tbh. He finished his season with the yips, with a completely broken shot. It got to the point where folks were leaving him wide ass open and he would badly airball those looks with all the time in the World.

I actually like Cissoko's game but that shooting mental struggle is a huge concern for me.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2023, 04:07 PM
Those future 2nds can be traded 5 at a time, in a couple smaller trades you can wipe the slate clean... as long as you don't take too long to do so. I think it's the '24 and '25 2nd rounders that should be used soon, the future ones are currency.

Exactly. Not sure why people in here are so worried about these 2nd round picks becoming worthless. It's a way to cushion a trade so fans of the opposing teams we trade with won't feel like they got taken when the Spurs start making a move or two. And, the Spurs should actively be looking to improve the roster around Wemby now.

jesterbobman
06-23-2023, 05:37 PM
It's going to be a multi year process for the Spurs to get back to contending.

I think some of the PG prospects were really interesting (mostly, to me, Black and Wallace as premier perimeter / point of attack defenders) so I could see the case for trying to move up to that range. Black at 6 probably would've needed 3 / 4 firsts to get up there (Toronto / Chicago / Charlotte and a future unprotected / top 4 protected Spurs pick), and I don't think there was a viable path to get up to get Wallace at 10 without a similar package.

With those off the board, I don't think it was worth using up the draft ammo to get a different player, just to get a guy. I don't think there was a big difference in players between about 18 and 44 (Whitmore being the exception, though that's understandable to not move up, given the Spurs didn't have medical info other than knowing teams were passing). I had other guys ranked higher than Sidy at 33 (Max Lewis, Colby Jones) but not a huge difference, and I've been wrong on guys enough. Plus, roster crunch of fringe prospects that we already have.

If in a year in the 2024 draft, the Spurs can get something like Isaiah Collier / Cody Williams with the Raptors pick, and we think that pick and other picks (Chicago first, etc) assets would've been needed to get Bufkin, we'd probably be happy having waited a year.