PDA

View Full Version : Four Down with Wemby?

Millennial_Messiah
06-23-2023, 01:01 PM
First of all, he was one of the few, very few, if only players drafted to be listed as a Center. And we should play him as such.

He's much more of a David Robinson archetype than a Duncan, but his game is polished and polishable enough to be a low post dominator as well. He's very strong despite being on the thin side for 7'3". Don't want him to bulk up and risk leg injuries at that height. He dunks over people like he's Shaq down there often. He's going to get fouled a lot. And he's an 82 percent free throw shooter (!!!!) which will be a huge boon for us considering we're used to Duncan who was obviously much worse and even drastically worse at times from the foul line.

What I don't want him doing is shooting a lot of threes. I get it it's a modern game and Curry and Thompson fked up the league, but hopefully we can reverse course a bit and get back to more fundamentals and more defense. Wemby has all the tools to be an elite defender, both down low (which Duncan was) and up high in the pick and roll (which Duncan wasn't). On offense I would like him to be a more traditional center and not play point center. Leverage the point guards and wings to do the majority of the ball handling. Wemby isn't a good three point shooter and while a mid range jumper is absolutely an important skill for a center (and he's demonstrated his prowess at that), he doesn't need to shoot threes (he's a sub-30% three point shooter, and moreover it's a much lower efficiency shot than a layup or dunk or free throws which Wemby should be able to get almost on demand).

We have plenty of shooters to space the floor. Wemby doesn't need to be one of them.

stnick2261
06-23-2023, 01:16 PM
He won't be ready for that right away, but I can see it in a few years. Four down with Duncan led to a bunch of wins, but also led to being labelled as "boring". I'd really rather see us return to the beautiful game with 10 passes per shot leading to open looks. That requires everybody on the floor to be able to move quickly, handle the ball, make good passes, and be able to shoot.

spurraider21
06-23-2023, 01:18 PM
its gonna be sick to see him face up and hit a bank shot for the first time

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2023, 02:35 PM
Spurs won‘t run a 4-down slow paced offense. Sure you can go to that at times, but we are playing a fast paced, run in transition, multiple ball handlers, drive and kick offense with a lot of cutting. We have the players for that

Millennial_Messiah
06-23-2023, 03:10 PM
He won't be ready for that right away, but I can see it in a few years. Four down with Duncan led to a bunch of wins, but also led to being labelled as "boring". I'd really rather see us return to the beautiful game with 10 passes per shot leading to open looks. That requires everybody on the floor to be able to move quickly, handle the ball, make good passes, and be able to shoot.

Meh. I strongly preferred boring to "beautiful game" motion offense. I grew up with boring. Tim Duncan was boring. We won 4 championships with boring. I'd much rather get back to winning games like 98-85 or so on average as opposed to the 125-112 skittleball golden shower state bullshit that isn't basketball

Points at a premium and halfcourt execution is how basketball should be played.

Millennial_Messiah
06-23-2023, 03:12 PM
Spurs won‘t run a 4-down slow paced offense. Sure you can go to that at times, but we are playing a fast paced, run in transition, multiple ball handlers, drive and kick offense with a lot of cutting. We have the players for that

The problem is like 26 other teams do that. It's not unique. Slow pace is good because it's zagging when the rest of the league zigs, or the other way around.

I'd much rather have a shutdown Defense and play a brand of offense that complements our Defense and emphasizes being able to get back in transition and get stops in the halfcourt.

its gonna be sick to see him face up and hit a bank shot for the first time
Sweet childhood memories!! :)

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2023, 03:56 PM
The problem is like 26 other teams do that. It's not unique. Slow pace is good because it's zagging when the rest of the league zigs, or the other way around.

I'd much rather have a shutdown Defense and play a brand of offense that complements our Defense and emphasizes being able to get back in transition and get stops in the halfcourt.

Sweet childhood memories!! :)

not every team in the league gets out and runs

Millennial_Messiah
06-23-2023, 04:35 PM
not every team in the league gets out and runs

I'd love to get back to classic Spurs Basketball. The kind of team that is boring on offense, quietly is efficient in the halfcourt, emphasizes transition defense and is fairly risk averse on both sides of the ball, confuses and pisses off those teams by keeping pace and points down, emphasizes contesting every jump shot and making everything in the paint difficult, clogging passing lanes but not gambling, keeping their scoring and fastbreak game down to the extent that frontrunner diva players get pissed and get technical fouls and publicly call our best defenders "sissy" and get off the bench to fight our guys and get suspended in critical playoff games.

exstatic
06-23-2023, 04:50 PM
Meh. I strongly preferred boring to "beautiful game" motion offense. I grew up with boring. Tim Duncan was boring. We won 4 championships with boring. I'd much rather get back to winning games like 98-85 or so on average as opposed to the 125-112 skittleball golden shower state bullshit that isn't basketball

Points at a premium and halfcourt execution is how basketball should be played.

The rules no longer allow that. Adapt or die.

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2023, 04:52 PM
That‘s not going to happen. We gonna see plenty monster blocks and alley oops, a lot of dunks and I‘m all for it

FuzzyLumpkins
06-23-2023, 04:53 PM
Oh look another suspect account with the idiotic, zero chance of happening "Wemby must play the 5" take.

Joy.

Millennial_Messiah
06-23-2023, 04:57 PM
That‘s not going to happen. We gonna see plenty monster blocks and alley oops, a lot of dunks and I‘m all for it

I for one prefer regular games to look like regular games and be tightly contested and competitive, not like the rookie sophomore game or whatever they have now which is basically exhibition and less fun to watch than two high school kids playing 2k

The rules no longer allow that. Adapt or die.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :nope

Fuck Steph Curry, clap, clap, clap-clap-clap... Fuck Steph Curry, clap, clap, clap-clap-clap... Fuck Steph Curry :td

also, fuck Adam Silver tbh :td fuck ads on jerseys :td fuck having like 10 different alternate uniforms and like 5 different paint jobs for every team's home court in the same season :td