PDA

View Full Version : 2023 draft picks you rue not picking

Biggems
06-24-2023, 08:04 PM
I only have one.....not only because we didn't draft him, but also where he ended up.

Trayce Jackson-Davis

I feel he could have been a Boris Diaw type player for us.

Mr. Body
06-24-2023, 08:41 PM
I liked TJD and wonder if he might have been on the menu if Sidy wasn't there, but really the team has a lot of PFs.

Now that I understand the thinking about the second round picks a bit better, I don't regret any misses. Cissoko has a lot of promise and could have easily been picked twenty spots previously.

I do wish they could have managed to get Bufkin or Wallace but clearly Wallace was hotly contested and they just couldn't get to Bufkin, assuming he was a target of interest at all.

I'm good, really.

sfernald
06-24-2023, 08:52 PM
I kinda wished they had picked up one of the many guards available such as Wallace or Bufkin specifically, but hey I’m pretty sure it will work out. Maybe they are going for a vet such as FVV or perhaps a 2nd or 3rd year PG getting edged out by one of these rookies such as Suggs or Killian Hayes. We’ll see. I have faith in the front office.

MultiTroll
06-24-2023, 08:58 PM
Drew Timme.

Not draft but wished they would have signed undrafted like the Bucks did.

I think he provides good muscle and is a very good all around player. Need to learn treys but so do lots of new NBA players.

I predict he sticks with the Bucks and does well with Greak Freak.

EricB
06-24-2023, 09:07 PM
TJD would’ve been perfect. He was two spots from being undrafted

ace3g
06-24-2023, 09:11 PM
Andre Jackson Jr.

Ariel
06-24-2023, 09:21 PM
Well, in all honesty I would have liked to pick up a Jordan Walsh, Colby Jones, Amari Bailey or Julian Philips at 33, but if we were only going to take one player, then I'm fine with Sidy at 44.

The FO probably felt they needed some roster flexibility (for free agents, trades, etc) and taking on 3 rookies would be incompatible with developing the youngsters already on the roster (Wesley, Barlow, Champagnie, Bassey, etc.) and having room to sign free agents or pursue trades. So I don't think it's an unreasonable way to go about it.

That said, next year I'd fully expect a thorough evaluation of the youngsters still on the roster to weed out those who have shown improvements from those who haven't and letting go of the latter, because 2 years is time enough to get a fairly good read and avoid clogging the pipeline when those resources should be allocated to someone else.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2023, 04:29 PM
"You will rue the day you failed to draft [insert name here]!"

I like the word "rue". You have to say the above sentence in a heavy Scottish accent and then it sounds even better.

:tu Good thread!

mo7888
06-26-2023, 04:34 PM
It's hard to say when we didn't have picks in the range the players I really liked were selected. I would have liked to have traded up for Cam after he dropped out of the lottery or even moreso NSJ in the 20s, but without knowing what the cost would have been I can't say I "rue" not picking them.

JPB
06-26-2023, 04:42 PM
I liked TJD and wonder if he might have been on the menu if Sidy wasn't there, but really the team has a lot of PFs.

Now that I understand the thinking about the second round picks a bit better, I don't regret any misses. Cissoko has a lot of promise and could have easily been picked twenty spots previously.

I do wish they could have managed to get Bufkin or Wallace but clearly Wallace was hotly contested and they just couldn't get to Bufkin, assuming he was a target of interest at all.

I'm good, really.

Sorry but no, Sidy couldn't have been picked in the mid 20s of the first round. Not even close and I'm nor sure what could make anyone believe that other than Spurs picking him... There's a reason he was still there at 44 and that's not because the 20 guys before him were also all first round talents.

I believe some people have to high of expectations with Sidy.

Mr. Body
06-26-2023, 05:07 PM
Sorry but no, Sidy couldn't have been picked in the mid 20s of the first round. Not even close and I'm nor sure what could make anyone believe that other than Spurs picking him... There's a reason he was still there at 44 and that's not because the 20 guys before him were also all first round talents.

I believe some people have to high of expectations with Sidy.

You're just straight up fucking wrong. He was often mocked in the 20s and often in the 30s. Just go sit in the corner and be wrong.

Russ
06-26-2023, 07:37 PM
They passed on Leonard Miller and GG Jackson, both guys with NBA bodies of the kind the Spurs could use (if they had any additional attributes). But the Spurs know who they can develop and who they can't, I trust their judgment in that area.

Rayan Rupert might end up looking good at 33 but who knows.

On the other side of the coin, bullets dodged, glad they passed on Jordan Walsh and Amari Bailey (not bad players but probably won't move the needle much on a crowded roster).

HankChinaski
06-26-2023, 07:39 PM
I think he meant to say "Shouldn't be picked in the 20s".
He has flaws but those flaws can be lessened to a potential serviceable player off the bench

Mr. Peabody
06-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Leonard Miller - he was first round talent. Second round picks are not guaranteed contracts. Why not bring him in to compete with Bassey and the rest? Keep the best ones.

sfernald
06-27-2023, 01:03 AM
Leonard Miller - he was first round talent. Second round picks are not guaranteed contracts. Why not bring him in to compete with Bassey and the rest? Keep the best ones.

This. Okc Thunder deals with this every single year. They bring in at least two usually three rookies every year. The secret is they just let them all fight for roster spots and the best man wins. It’s almost as if it was designed to work that way!

Mr. Body
06-27-2023, 01:34 AM
Drafting over developing players is not a good strategy and it's kind of biting OKC in the ass. Although it looks like their cache of picks will last forever, it won't. They drafted Jeremiah Robinson-Earl who took the place of Isaiah Roby and now Jaylin Williams (the PF) is taking the place of Jaremiah Robinson-Earl. Unless you're really excelling with the new picks, you're just wasting them. Same thing with Ousmane Dieng, who could take the place of Pokusevski. This isn't the NCAA where your scholarships replenish.

OKC is starting to go .500 not because of exceptional drafting, although they have a couple of guards who look very good (Giddey, J. Williams) and should be even better with Holmgren coming in, but because they fell into crazy luck where Kawhi forced the Clippers to trade SGA to the Thunder for Paul George.

As for Leonard Miller, he's a bit of a tweener so far in abilities, not quite good enough at some things to be a 5, not quite at other things to be a 4. He does look like a good prospect. But what starts appearing as you read into people who have followed him is that he does not appear to have a very strong BBIQ.

rankingtear
06-27-2023, 08:33 AM

I did not know we traded the pick and was confused when we picked Miller. This guy did not know how to play basketball a year before. I thought this guy is another the "game is slowing down for him" type player.

rankingtear
06-27-2023, 08:44 AM
You're just straight up fucking wrong. He was often mocked in the 20s and often in the 30s. Just go sit in the corner and be wrong.

ESPN had him 45. Athletic has him 43. WTF.

Mr. Body
06-27-2023, 08:49 AM
ESPN had him 45. Athletic has him 43. WTF.

Other mocks had him higher. Point?

rankingtear
06-27-2023, 08:51 AM
Other mocks had him higher. Point?

What mocks? Bleacher has him 44 spot on.

Mr. Body
06-27-2023, 08:58 AM

My brother in Christ, the dude above said that Cissoko was ignored by everyone and was always a deep SRP pick. He was not. Gallavant through final mocks all you want, but he did get a lot of attention in many mocks throughout the process higher than he was picked. If he settled in Givony's final mock -- a mock that was wrong about many things, too, btw -- that's not what the discussion is about.

exstatic
06-27-2023, 09:06 AM

The fact that you find him in the second round in mocks doesn't negate the fact that he was mocked in the first round in others. No one said he was a consensus first rounder, just that he had been mocked there.

Uriel
06-27-2023, 09:12 AM
Rayan Rupert at 33 feels like Alperen Sengun at 12 in 2021.

I’m consoled a bit knowing that his agent told teams not to pick him (which could be why we didn’t pick him). But if it turns out he was there for the taking and we just decided to go in a different direction (and he turns out to be a good player), oh man.

rankingtear
06-27-2023, 09:26 AM
My brother in Christ, the dude above said that Cissoko was ignored by everyone and was always a deep SRP pick. He was not. Gallavant through final mocks all you want, but he did get a lot of attention in many mocks throughout the process higher than he was picked. If he settled in Givony's final mock -- a mock that was wrong about many things, too, btw -- that's not what the discussion is about.

He never said that. Sidy couldn't have been picked in the mid 20s of the first round. Not even close.

rankingtear
06-27-2023, 09:27 AM
The fact that you find him in the second round in mocks doesn't negate the fact that he was mocked in the first round in others. No one said he was a consensus first rounder, just that he had been mocked there.

Where?

leo07251413
06-27-2023, 09:32 AM
Andre Jackson Jr. and Colby Jones.

rjv
06-27-2023, 10:17 AM
we missed out on having amari bailey's mom at the occasional home game

rjv
06-27-2023, 10:20 AM
and i'm not really lamenting any missed player. i think each year, fans get hyped because of the hype. we see all this potential in a player and suddenly want that player in the same way we wanted another player just the year before. it's like always wanting the shiniest new gadget even though you just bought one of those gadgets not that long ago. i'm good with seeing how our picks from last year play out.

drpill
06-27-2023, 10:26 AM
Where?

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-g-league-ignites-sidy-cissoko#gid=ci02abbd0ef0002546&pid=usatsi_19662498

Draft Projection

Late First-Round Pick in 2023 NBA Draft.

https://nbadraftroom.com/sidy-cissoko/

Draft Projection

mid first round pick in the 2023 NBA Draft

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/kings-post-lottery-nba-mock-180423338.html

The Athletic

24. Sidy Cissoko

G League Ignite | Wing | 6-8/220| 19 years old

Etc.

rankingtear
06-27-2023, 10:44 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-g-league-ignites-sidy-cissoko#gid=ci02abbd0ef0002546&pid=usatsi_19662498

https://nbadraftroom.com/sidy-cissoko/

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/kings-post-lottery-nba-mock-180423338.html

Etc.

Those were before workouts, he dropped a ton after that. All those had him second round in the final mocks.

drpill
06-27-2023, 10:59 AM
Those were before workouts, he dropped a ton after that. All those had him second round in the final mocks.

Fair enough. Most final mocks have him in the range he was picked, mid/late 30s at highest, and several are spot on with the Spurs taking him at 44. I thought the contention was that he was getting some first round interest earlier in the process, which is also true. He certainly has enough ability to outperform his draft position. You never know who surprises in the later part of the draft and Sidy seems as likely as anyone.

KobesAchilles
06-27-2023, 11:20 AM
We didn’t have a real shot at him since he went so high but man I wanted Wallace from Kentucky. They’re a shitty basketball team but they put out pretty damn good guards.

exstatic
06-27-2023, 11:28 AM
We didn’t have a real shot at him since he went so high but man I wanted Wallace from Kentucky. They’re a shitty basketball team but they put out pretty damn good guards.

We had a shot at him before OKC traded in front of Orlando.

KobesAchilles
06-27-2023, 12:13 PM
We had a shot at him before OKC traded in front of Orlando.
As an aside, I think OKC might be next years Kings. Random team outta nowhere that gets home court advantage in the playoffs. They have so much talent pretty much across the board. Presti is the one that needs to start going for it.

RC_Drunkford
06-27-2023, 12:16 PM

he's talking about mocks from 2022 :lol

Mr. Body
06-27-2023, 12:16 PM
As an aside, I think OKC might be next years Kings. Random team outta nowhere that gets home court advantage in the playoffs. They have so much talent pretty much across the board. Presti is the one that needs to start going for it.

Chet raises their floor by a great deal. They were pretty much a .500 team last year and they have one of the Ja Morant type players who gets gifted tons of cheap free throws by the refs every game. If they don't make the playoffs this year, and not just like 7th or 8th, I'd consider it a major disappointment for them.

Mr. Body
06-27-2023, 12:17 PM

I'm not even talking mocks, although I found plenty throughout the process from places like SI that had Cissoko in the 20s. Things broke the other way, but plenty of people, and professional people, liked him higher. It's not a big fucking deal.

drpill
06-27-2023, 12:23 PM

Ranked 24th by the Athletic as of May 17, 2023. To say he was getting consideration as a possible first-round pick for the majority of the pre-draft process is not controversial.

RC_Drunkford
06-27-2023, 12:50 PM
I'm not even talking mocks, although I found plenty throughout the process from places like SI that had Cissoko in the 20s. Things broke the other way, but plenty of people, and professional people, liked him higher. It's not a big fucking deal.

I belive from Jaquez on at 18, there wasn't a big difference between prospects

spurraider21
06-27-2023, 12:52 PM
if we were willing to move up to 11 for Wallace i think we will regret not having moved up for Bufkin

spurraider21
06-27-2023, 12:53 PM
I belive from Jaquez on at 18, there wasn't a big difference between prospects
to me the dropoff as far as we were concerned was after Bufkin at 15, and then especially after Hood-Schifino at 17

kobyz
06-27-2023, 02:04 PM
I only have one.....not only because we didn't draft him, but also where he ended up.

Trayce Jackson-Davis

I feel he could have been a Boris Diaw type player for us.

Warriors got a steal, he's the next Shawn Kemp