PDA

View Full Version : 2023-24 Spurs Roster

Biggems
06-24-2023, 10:25 PM
let's assume we make no trades and we are unable to sign any FAs. Who do you have making the final 15?

Depth Chart
PG - Tre Jones, Devonte Graham, Blake Wesley
SG - Devin Vassell, Malaki Branham, Julian Champagnie
SF - Keldon Johnson, Doug McDermott, Sidy Cissoko
PF - Jeremy Sochan, Sandro Mamukelashvili, Dom Barlow
C - Victor Wembanyama, Zach Collins, Charles Bassey

the other two players under consideration are KBD and Romeo Langford

Birch and Dieng can definitely go bye bye.

Chinook
06-24-2023, 10:34 PM
The Spurs are going into camp with 20 players. They will sign other guys. They will also avoid being below the floor -- the measure partially kicks in this year. So there's no reason to assume this will be the roster. With that in mind:

I don't see any way Barlow is on the regular roster other than him absolutely exploding during the summer league. He's a two-way or cut. Camp may make it, but it's not a given. I'm not sure the Spurs would play Wemba at center. He seems to want to explore being a perimeter-oriented player. I imagine the Spurs will see if they can get away with it. I'd like them to have a better center than Barlow as their third string, and they need real PFs rather than short centers behind Sochan. In my mind, the roster could use a wing with some range. Putting McDermott at SF is asking for the team to struggle against athleticism. I think folks are overrating Mamu. He's not a lock for the rotation at all.

Degoat
06-24-2023, 10:35 PM
It’s tough to predict imo even though they said they wanna see how the team gels and what they have, there’s gotta be some surge to improve some of the roster spots with the cap space we have. It’ll be interesting to see, I hope we add a free agent or two

Mr. Body
06-24-2023, 10:37 PM
I don't see the cap space used to upgrade anything at all. They'll use it to take on bad salary for assets, that's it. I think they're completely serious about seeing what works around Wembanyama before wasting money on the wrong pieces.

Might take on a couple more vets like Patty Mills or Nicolas Batum, both on expiring deals for their respective teams.

slick'81
06-24-2023, 10:41 PM
Looks good to me

lefty20
06-24-2023, 10:58 PM
Didn't one of the local (Kens5 ?) reporters quote Wemby saying that his preference is the 4 spot?

I'm sure he'll get decent burn as the 5, but only against certain matchups.

Kurik
06-24-2023, 11:06 PM
The Spurs are going into camp with 20 players. They will sign other guys. They will also avoid being below the floor -- the measure partially kicks in this year. So there's no reason to assume this will be the roster. With that in mind:

I don't see any way Barlow is on the regular roster other than him absolutely exploding during the summer league. He's a two-way or cut. Camp may make it, but it's not a given. I'm not sure the Spurs would play Wemba at center. He seems to want to explore being a perimeter-oriented player. I imagine the Spurs will see if they can get away with it. I'd like them to have a better center than Barlow as their third string, and they need real PFs rather than short centers behind Sochan. In my mind, the roster could use a wing with some range. Putting McDermott at SF is asking for the team to struggle against athleticism. I think folks are overrating Mamu. He's not a lock for the rotation at all.

Just curious what’s the partial stipulations regarding the new salary floor changes? I know teams will want to be at the floor by day 1 of the regular season but I’m not sure what’s in effect already.

TD 21
06-24-2023, 11:20 PM
Starters: Wembanyama, Johnson, Collins, Vassell, Jones (RFA)

Bench: Sochan, Branham, McDermott, Graham, Bassey, Mamukelashvili

Deep bench/G-League: Champagnie, Wesley, Cissoko (TW?), Barlow (TW?), Rice (TW)

Birch is obviously technically under contract, but he'll probably either be traded or released in some form or fashion, leaving two spots open.

Maybe Cissoko snags one if he blows them away during Summer League and they don't utilize it on a veteran PG, while Barlow probably has to avoid being blown away by someone else to retain his spot.

Mr. Body
06-24-2023, 11:25 PM

The backup bigs are Sochan, Bassey, Barlow, and Mamukelashvili. How in the world is Mamu not going to be in the rotation?

Old School 44
06-25-2023, 12:21 AM
I bet this starting lineup (https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/1672774005944881152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1672774005944881152%7Ctwgr% 5E22e31acdb92b9bfe422aeae11217e2b10f476020%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-29143489612369629743.ampproject.net%2F230525201800 1%2Fframe.html) could make the playoffs.

heyheymymy
06-25-2023, 12:22 AM
[Two-Way]
(Med amnesty/ins claim out?)
{pending re-sign}

{Jones}/Graham/Wesley
Vassell/Branham/Cissoko
Johnson/McDermott/Champagnie
Wembanyama/Sochan/{Mamu}
Zollins/Bassey/(Birch)

[Barlow]
[Rice]
[?]

That's 15, 17 total if you include 2 of the 3 Two-Way slots taken, assuming Champagnie and Cissoko get roster spot deals instead of Two-Way,

pending re-signing Jones and Mamu and barring medical waive on Birch so 1 to 3 possible slots to open for Free Agents etc and 1 possible Two-Way slot open.

heyheymymy
06-25-2023, 12:35 AM
I'm struggling to slot Cissoko and Champagnie.

I guess they are about the same height, Champagnie maybe 1/4 inch taller. Both can play SG and SF I feel like, but what is more natural positioning?

I really liked Champagnie's perimeter shooting and think he is a bit better at range than Cissoko so I put Champagnie at SF. Cissoko seems like a SF but I love his open court aggressive pushes to the rim and think his bulldozer frame will challenge opposing 2s just as long as they aren't too speedy which Sissoko might be a little vulnerable to covering defensively?

heyheymymy
06-25-2023, 12:44 AM
Man, for being so protective of available roster slots that you flip away a highly valuable #33 with goods still on the board, SA sure is letting the Khem Birch situation linger with no new info on desired direction or what to expect? Would be crazy if he suits up after all.

I like Ex's theory of an insurance claim out, thought I saw that it would reduce Birch's hold from $6.99MM to 3.50MM (or was that a three fifty joke), but it's pretty annoying trying to figure out what is going on with that slot he is holding. Guess Spurs look at it as a trade asset if the medical claim can half his ending contract, you could entice a trade partner with a financial discount as sweetener to any deals being discussed? What am I missing here?

Dhbsr555
06-25-2023, 01:38 AM
Sochan has to start

heyheymymy
06-25-2023, 01:46 AM
I could see Sochan starting at SF with Johnson off the bench.

Atl Spur
06-25-2023, 03:11 AM
Sochan has to start

Sochan will start!

RC_Drunkford
06-25-2023, 06:08 AM
The backup bigs are Sochan, Bassey, Barlow, and Mamukelashvili. How in the world is Mamu not going to be in the rotation?

by not getting a contract

heyheymymy
06-25-2023, 06:46 AM
Mamu was doing a lot of the right things there toward the end of the season

I think it was enough to consider bringing him back.

Dejounte
06-25-2023, 06:52 AM
All the signs point to him being back tbh. Him being at the Wemby presser, always a shoutout from Sochan on social media, being a coach’s favorite, his unique play and skill from anyone else on the roster. He fits in very well with Wemby, IMO.

Biggems
06-25-2023, 07:01 AM
I want to see Mamu and Wemby on the court together. Their skill and versatility should be a thing of beauty to watch.

heyheymymy
06-25-2023, 07:08 AM
Mamu and Wemby both circulate the ball well on offense.

Mamu always has savvy finds and hits the open guy with that extra pass that pays off. Victor always hubs offense and hits cutters and rollers like a QB.

There could be a subtle 3-6 ast combined avg from the two outside the guards corp completely.

cutewizard
06-25-2023, 07:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEj84NaMo5Q

Dejounte
06-25-2023, 07:20 AM
1 - Tre Jones
1/2 - Malaki Branham
1/2 - Devonte Graham
1/2 - Blake Wesley
1/2 - Sir Jabari Rice
2/3 - Vassell
3/4 - Keldon Johnson
3/4 - Jeremy Sochan
3/4 - McDermott
3/4 - Sidy Cissoko
3/4 - Julian Champagnie
4/5 - Victor Wembanyama
4/5 - Sandro Mamukelashvili
4/5 - Dominick Barlow
5 - Zach Collins
5 - Charles Bassey

Darkhorse idea of maybe Branham being the starting PG this upcoming season…

Branham/ Tre/ Wesley
Vassell/ Graham/ Rice
Sochan/ McDermott/ Julian/ Cissoko
Wemby/ Keldon/ Mamu
Collins/ Bassey/ Barlow

with everyone shifting up and down as the game demands it.

heyheymymy
06-25-2023, 07:22 AM
Shit most of those highlights are distribution.

Mamu has a bit of that "dancing bear" in him as Sean and Bill would say. Bobo esque

cutewizard
06-25-2023, 07:23 AM
This Mamu being can play,hehehehehe

he could be our Jokic junior >>>> shades of JOkic and Sabonis in there

fascinating prospect

cutewizard
06-25-2023, 07:23 AM
If Victor is resting

then Mamu, Sochan, Keldon and even Branham can take over the offense

cutewizard
06-25-2023, 07:24 AM
Someone here said we "have the worst roster in the league"

now, with the arrival of the Prince of Heaven > Victor, ...that is no longer the case

hmmmmmm

cutewizard
06-25-2023, 07:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-xSq3cyQLo

cutewizard
06-25-2023, 07:32 AM
COUNTER-INTUITIVE STARTING LINE-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mamu as Point Center

Victor and Sochan as Point Forwards

Keldon and Vassell as Wings

>>>>>> Point-guard less lineup,. hahahahaha

i wonder if this could work, for example, in stretches in the 3rd quarter

omgggggggggggggggggggggg

cutewizard
06-25-2023, 07:34 AM
With Vassell , Sochan and Keldon applying the pressure defense,

what the hell???????????????

Wemby and Mamu can take care of the interior defense, lol

cutewizard
06-25-2023, 07:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XL4Zk0X_o8

JPB
06-25-2023, 07:56 AM
I'm gonna wait the SL, Summer market and summer camp before having an idea of next season's roster. but I really don't think they'll start it with last season's roster.

Champagnie, Barlow, KBD, Langford, Birch, Dieng and even Bassey are all players who may not be there next year. I really don't see the spurs not trying to add a couple experienced and traveled NBA players to this team around Wemby...That tanking year was exceptional and something really not in spurs DNA, I don't imagine them staying on that road with 2-3 years of semi-tanking, precisely with Wemby in now who has to be put in the best conditions. And a Tre Jones/Devonte Graham/Blake Wesley rotation at PG is honestly kind of scary from that perspective even if other players can be in charge of point duties.

Chinook
06-25-2023, 08:26 AM
Just curious what’s the partial stipulations regarding the new salary floor changes? I know teams will want to be at the floor by day 1 of the regular season but I’m not sure what’s in effect already.

This year (2023-2024) if a team is under the floor by day one this year, their luxury tax payout is reduced by 50 percent. Starting next year (2024-2025), they won't receive the payout at all if they start under. If they start out over but somehow slip under (waiving non-guaranteed salary or trading away salary), they have a certain number of days to get back above the floor. I want to say 30 days, but it might be less. I didn't find that tidbit after Googling for a bit, and I don't think the CBA FAQ is updated yet. For the Spurs, it'd cost millions to not be at or above the floor, so I don't think they'll go into the season without doing that.

heyheymymy
06-25-2023, 08:44 AM
San Antonio could clear up to 5 roster slots, 3 active

Assuming you:

1. Don't re-sign anybody
2. Push Cissoko, Barlow and Champagne to our 3 Two-Way contracts
3. Get Khem Birch off the books without adding any new personnel back in return

Chinook
06-25-2023, 08:51 AM

So if we're assuming Sochan is one of the backup bigs, then it's pretty easy to see how Mamu could be out of the rotation. We heard from Wright that Collins is going to be back, so we know three of the four big-man rotation slots are taken up by him, Sochan and Wemba. We have heard that the Spurs are looking for another center. If that's the case, we should assume they are going to be rotation caliber. While that may not be true, the team is lacking in centers right now, with Mamu, Bassey and Barlow all being on the smaller side. If they don't bring in anyone else, then it's Mamu versus Bassey. I'm not all that high on Bassey, but Mamu struggled at the five. I wouldn't pencil him into that spot at all. If Sochan can play the five, he's probably starting with Wemba, which pushes Collins to the bench. In that scenario, Mamu is competing with McDermott and the backup wings for minutes. He might win, or he might not. The Spurs may well acquire a perimeter player that would push McD to the PF role and thus Mamu out of the rotation.

I know you're very adamant about this, but I don't think people should take Wright's words on the Spurs wanting to see how guys play together to extend to the entire roster from last year. Now that they have a true franchise prospect on their team, their scope has narrowed. They want to see if they need to make big moves like Keldon, Vassell or Sochan, and they want to see how those guys fit together before pulling the trigger. But the end of their roster? Wright, I believe, did speak on them. I recall him saying they were making progress but didn't explicitly say he was expecting to see them all come back or anything like that. The roster will change -- it basically has to. Players a lot of us liked from 2021-2022 or the early part of 2022-2023 were cut or traded as time went on. There's no reason to believe the particular group the Spurs happened to end last season with is going to get some special lock going into this season.

Mamu in particular was cut because he didn't fit into a mature rotation. He's a tweener whose good attributes aren't necessarily useful enough to offset his limitations on a team with real aspirations. Do I think he can do some cool things on offense? Yes. He could make some cool passes to Wemba. Do I think that matters? Not really. I think Mamu has a spot on the team if the price is right and he wants to return. But I think the team is right to try to upgrade that part of their rotation and that he hasn't actually earned any status with the team. For all the hype, the dude was a negative player on the club last year. They'll be okay without him.

CGD
06-25-2023, 08:57 AM
Mamu is not a C. He’s would be at his strongest backing up Sochan, who absolutely will start. They both offer great play making from the 4.

exstatic
06-25-2023, 08:59 AM
San Antonio could clear up to 5 roster slots, 3 active

Assuming you:

1. Don't re-sign anybody
2. Push Cissoko, Barlow and Champagne to our 3 Two-Way contracts
3. Get Khem Birch off the books without adding any new personnel back in return

I think we signed someone to a 2way right after the draft.

Anyway, why are you trying to clear 5 roster spots? Do you think you can find 5 bottom roster guys who will fit and perform better than our current 5 bottom roster guys? Spurs have pretty clearly said they’re not hunting big game this offseason.

Kurik
06-25-2023, 09:01 AM
This year (2023-2024) if a team is under the floor by day one this year, their luxury tax payout is reduced by 50 percent. Starting next year (2024-2025), they won't receive the payout at all if they start under. If they start out over but somehow slip under (waiving non-guaranteed salary or trading away salary), they have a certain number of days to get back above the floor. I want to say 30 days, but it might be less. I didn't find that tidbit after Googling for a bit, and I don't think the CBA FAQ is updated yet. For the Spurs, it'd cost millions to not be at or above the floor, so I don't think they'll go into the season without doing that.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully others will start to understand the Spurs are gonna want/need to spend one way or the other unlike last year.

heyheymymy
06-25-2023, 09:10 AM
No, not saying we should actually turn over 5 slots just wanted to look at maximum roster flexibility.

If anything it demonstrates we are actually near full capacity already and indicates limited additional steps though I do feel like some smaller modifications may occur.

Good call on Rice already grabbing 1 Two-Way slot and I think we would already see announced if Cissoko agreed to a Two-Way, right?

TrainOfThought5
06-25-2023, 09:47 AM

I was called a madman when I said we needed a Center with upside on the roster.

Mr. Body
06-25-2023, 09:56 AM
So if we're assuming Sochan is one of the backup bigs, then it's pretty easy to see how Mamu could be out of the rotation. We heard from Wright that Collins is going to be back, so we know three of the four big-man rotation slots are taken up by him, Sochan and Wemba. We have heard that the Spurs are looking for another center. If that's the case, we should assume they are going to be rotation caliber. While that may not be true, the team is lacking in centers right now, with Mamu, Bassey and Barlow all being on the smaller side. If they don't bring in anyone else, then it's Mamu versus Bassey. I'm not all that high on Bassey, but Mamu struggled at the five. I wouldn't pencil him into that spot at all. If Sochan can play the five, he's probably starting with Wemba, which pushes Collins to the bench. In that scenario, Mamu is competing with McDermott and the backup wings for minutes. He might win, or he might not. The Spurs may well acquire a perimeter player that would push McD to the PF role and thus Mamu out of the rotation.

I know you're very adamant about this, but I don't think people should take Wright's words on the Spurs wanting to see how guys play together to extend to the entire roster from last year. Now that they have a true franchise prospect on their team, their scope has narrowed. They want to see if they need to make big moves like Keldon, Vassell or Sochan, and they want to see how those guys fit together before pulling the trigger. But the end of their roster? Wright, I believe, did speak on them. I recall him saying they were making progress but didn't explicitly say he was expecting to see them all come back or anything like that. The roster will change -- it basically has to. Players a lot of us liked from 2021-2022 or the early part of 2022-2023 were cut or traded as time went on. There's no reason to believe the particular group the Spurs happened to end last season with is going to get some special lock going into this season.

Mamu in particular was cut because he didn't fit into a mature rotation. He's a tweener whose good attributes aren't necessarily useful enough to offset his limitations on a team with real aspirations. Do I think he can do some cool things on offense? Yes. He could make some cool passes to Wemba. Do I think that matters? Not really. I think Mamu has a spot on the team if the price is right and he wants to return. But I think the team is right to try to upgrade that part of their rotation and that he hasn't actually earned any status with the team. For all the hype, the dude was a negative player on the club last year. They'll be okay without him.

That's a long way of agreeing with me that Mamu is part of our big man rotation.

He was at the press conference yesterday, by the way.

exstatic
06-25-2023, 10:05 AM
No, not saying we should actually turn over 5 slots just wanted to look at maximum roster flexibility.

If anything it demonstrates we are actually near full capacity already and indicates limited additional steps though I do feel like some smaller modifications may occur.

Good call on Rice already grabbing 1 Two-Way slot and I think we would already see announced if Cissoko agreed to a Two-Way, right?

Don’t know about Cissoko. You’d think if he was going to be offered a big club contract, they would have gone ahead and grabbed him at 33. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

TD 21
06-25-2023, 10:24 AM
the team is lacking in centers right now, with Mamu, Bassey and Barlow all being on the smaller side.

If they don't bring in anyone else, then it's Mamu versus Bassey. I'm not all that high on Bassey, but Mamu struggled at the five. I wouldn't pencil him into that spot at all. If Sochan can play the five

Mamu in particular was cut because he didn't fit into a mature rotation and that he hasn't actually earned any status with the team. For all the hype, the dude was a negative player on the club last year. They'll be okay without him.

Within' reason, height doesn't determine whether someone is a C or not. There's also too much emphasis on that label in general. The more salient questions are, can (insert name) play as the solo big? And if not, what type of big is required alongside?

I'd classify Mamukelashvili as a combo big, that'd ideally be paired with a mobile rim protector who can cross match (aka Wembanyama). The former can defend the stouter interior presence. Sochan can't play C.

Nah, he was cut because the Bucks only had three other bigs and wanted a fourth who was more proven and a true C. He's (Champagnie too) worth a longer look and I like the theoretical fit, but agreed he's overhyped and you probably know as well as I do why that is.

rankingtear
06-25-2023, 10:39 AM
Julian would be signed to a standard contract. He fits what FO is looking for 6'7 220 can shoot, cut and move without the ball. It was a miracle we got this guy from waivers.

RC_Drunkford
06-25-2023, 10:49 AM
out of Barlow, Champagnie, Cissoko and Lord Pump Fake 3 guys will get a 2-way. Either Cissoko gets a full contract or one of Barlow or Champagnie is let go after training camp.

If Cissoko is signed, Tre and Mamu come back that leaves us with 1 roster spot. I assume they will just waive Birch and add 2 vets. That should be about it unless we trade for Kyle Lowry or something, although I think even then we won't ship out any players.

Dejounte
06-25-2023, 11:17 AM
Branham/ Tre/ Wesley
Vassell/ Graham/ Rice
Wemby/ Keldon/ Mamu
Collins/ Bassey/ Barlow

looking over my rotation again, I think biggest need is a backup 2. I’m not satisfied with Graham. I think Jordan Clarkson is a vastly better player. He’d be great off the bench for us. I don’t think he’d be too expensive, plus he’s from San Antonio.

Plenty of shooting in the starting lineup for this one. Branham’s bread and butter is the PNR. He might not be a traditional point, but I think he does a good job managing the pace of the game.

BatManu20
06-25-2023, 11:27 AM
Mamu will definitely be back. The fact he was in attendance for Wemby’s presser as a well as at the Draft party speaks to how PATFO feel about him.

It sounds like Sidy will not be signing a Two-Way. Was hoping he would, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Barlow will definitely be one of the other two-ways along with Sir’Jabari Rice. Guess Champ will be the third, though it should be Sidy.

I’d be surprised if Champagnie isn’t on the roster next season. I assume he will be and I’d be disappointed if he isn’t. He showed he could really shoot the rock and that’s what need around Wemby right now.

As for the starting lineup, as much as I want Sochan to start, might make sense for him to be 6th Man on this roster, at least for awhile. Spurs don’t want to start Wemby at the 5 right away imo. Think the lineup we trot out to start the season is:

5. Zollins
4. Wemby
3. Keldon
2. Vassell
1. Tre

Mr. Body
06-25-2023, 11:38 AM
Mamu will definitely be back. The fact he was in attendance for Wemby’s presser as a well as at the Draft party speaks to how PATFO feel about him.

It sounds like Sidy will not be signing a Two-Way. Was hoping he would, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Barlow will definitely be one of the other two-ways along with Sir’Jabari Rice. Guess Champ will be the third, though it should be Sidy.

I’d be surprised if Champagnie isn’t on the roster next season. I assume he will be and I’d be disappointed if he isn’t. He showed he could really shoot the rock and that’s what need around Wemby right now.

As for the starting lineup, as much as I want Sochan to start, might make sense for him to be 6th Man on this roster, at least for awhile. Spurs don’t want to start Wemby at the 5 right away imo. Think the lineup we trot out to start the season is:

5. Zollins
4. Wemby
3. Keldon
2. Vassell
1. Tre

Mamu has issues. He doesn't block shots, he's perhaps a bit slow (although isn't too slow), and I'm not sure about his rebounding. He's not the greatest defender. But his vision is very good for his size, something Pop loves, he works hard and hustles, he can hit from range, and he doesn't foul much. But he's already entering his third year. He may not have a lot of room left to grow.

Champagnie is the luckiest dude on the roster. Went from undrafted to cut by the Sixers to hitting a lot of threes in games of no consequence a few months ago. The Spurs badly need shooting and he's going to get his shot.

John B
06-25-2023, 11:50 AM
I want to see Mamu and Wemby on the court together. Their skill and versatility should be a thing of beauty to watch.

I like that but Mamu needs to learn to finish strong at the rim, and better at corralling rebounds.

Who I kinda excited also is Wemby and Sidy together on the court. I know Sidy needs to show a lot to earn minutes, and I hope his hard nose defense will get him some. Because Sidy also has the same high Bball IQ, the same PG skills and passing, rim run pass or take it strong to the basket. French connection baby.

duncan2150
06-25-2023, 12:19 PM
Branham/ Tre/ Wesley
Vassell/ Graham/ Rice
Wemby/ Keldon/ Mamu
Collins/ Bassey/ Barlow

looking over my rotation again, I think biggest need is a backup 2. I’m not satisfied with Graham. I think Jordan Clarkson is a vastly better player. He’d be great off the bench for us. I don’t think he’d be too expensive, plus he’s from San Antonio.

Plenty of shooting in the starting lineup for this one. Branham’s bread and butter is the PNR. He might not be a traditional point, but I think he does a good job managing the pace of the game.

Clarkson could be a good addition, i'm also not a big graham fan. He's a third string PG.

btw i'm still going for Coby White if i want a back up 1-2.
White did not suceed in the league yet but he's a pretty good shooter, can pass . If not expensive he'll be my target at the guard position.

duncan2150
06-25-2023, 12:23 PM
let's assume we make no trades and we are unable to sign any FAs. Who do you have making the final 15?

Depth Chart

My guess is

Jones-Wesley- FA
Vassell-Branham- Graham
Johnson-Mc Dermott- Cissoko or Champagnie
Wemby-Sochan-Mamu
Collins-FA- Bassey

2 way : Champagnie or Cissoko, Rice and Barlow.

The wild card is Diop as i think the Spurs wants to bring him back but he could get an offer by another team. Dieng, Langford and Birch are gone imo.

Dejounte
06-25-2023, 12:24 PM
It’s also legitimately possible that Tre lost his starting position officially last season. His 3 pt shooting hardly improved and it’s likely he was told that since Branham could shoot, that he would be taking that spot instead. So everyone penciling Tre as the starting PG this upcoming season might be completely dismissive of the fact that Branham had that role to end the season, and not because of injury but because it was intentional.

spurraider21
06-25-2023, 12:31 PM
Julian would be signed to a standard contract. He fits what FO is looking for 6'7 220 can shoot, cut and move without the ball. It was a miracle we got this guy from waivers.
in champganie's 3 years in college, he shot 31%, 38%, and 33% from 3 in his 88 games.

last season in 26 g-league games, he shot 33% from 3

then in 15 games with the spurs, he was hitting 40% of them

im not convinced he's necessarily some sharpshooter yet. yes he's definitely capable of knocking them down, and performed well in his time here last year, but temper expectations some imo

Mr. Body
06-25-2023, 12:32 PM
Oh, for sure Jones would be picked over Branham. I wonder if people are going to realize there are two sides of the court? This team is going to value defense of Jones, who can also facilitate, over a non-defender like Malaki.

Again and again this forum overrates shooting. It's like shooting or bust. No other aspects of basketball matter.

spurraider21
06-25-2023, 12:35 PM
It’s also legitimately possible that Tre lost his starting position officially last season. His 3 pt shooting hardly improved and it’s likely he was told that since Branham could shoot, that he would be taking that spot instead. So everyone penciling Tre as the starting PG this upcoming season might be completely dismissive of the fact that Branham had that role to end the season, and not because of injury but because it was intentional.
according to bball reference, branham played 55% of his minutes at PG last year, yet he averaged 2.9 assists and 1.8 turnovers per 36 minutes. as much as i think Tre is a liability in a few ways, he definitely operates the offense better than branham showed last year

Dejounte
06-25-2023, 12:46 PM
according to bball reference, branham played 55% of his minutes at PG last year, yet he averaged 2.9 assists and 1.8 turnovers per 36 minutes. as much as i think Tre is a liability in a few ways, he definitely operates the offense better than branham showed last year

The year the Spurs won the championship TP3 averaged 5 assists to 2 turnovers. I don’t think the Spurs brand of basketball is really traditional in that sense of having a point guard be super efficient with passing the basketball. I think the attack is going to come from a multitude of ways, which modern basketball is nowadays.

People also talk as if Tre is some stout defender. He isn’t. Him being able to guard only 1’s works against him, and he doesn’t even do that super well.

Mr. Body
06-25-2023, 12:50 PM
Jones is the best point defender we have.

Starting Branham would be an utter disaster. This team has a chance to be significant defensively. Having a terrible defender ensures teams will blow up in the first quarter, always hard to try to extinguish. It'll get Collins and Wembanyama in foul trouble and set the tone for game after game to be a loss. You just can't do it.

Unless Malaki becomes a decent defender, I don't see him ever starting regularly unless a lot of players go down.

spurraider21
06-25-2023, 12:57 PM
The year the Spurs won the championship TP3 averaged 5 assists to 2 turnovers. I don’t think the Spurs brand of basketball is really traditional in that sense of having a point guard be super efficient with passing the basketball. I think the attack is going to come from a multitude of ways, which modern basketball is nowadays.

People also talk as if Tre is some stout defender. He isn’t. Him being able to guard only 1’s works against him, and he doesn’t even do that super well.
thats also a team that averaged 96ppg and had a top 5 all time player in his prime being able to just go to work without having the offense necessarily set him up

Dejounte
06-25-2023, 12:58 PM
thats also a team that averaged 96ppg and had a top 5 all time player in his prime being able to just go to work without having the offense necessarily set him up

maybe we’re about to have another one of those players tbh

Dejounte
06-25-2023, 01:00 PM
Do all time greats truly need role players to set up the offense for them? I’m not recalling any right now…

John B
06-25-2023, 01:31 PM
Do all time greats truly need role players to set up the offense for them? I’m not recalling any right now…

Karl Malone texted. I’m not calling Stockton a role player, but Malone was a recipient of those nifty passes that made it a lot easier to score. Wemby will benefit from a true PG specially in the transitioning period. I think Tre provides that better than Branhan. True Branhan took the starting PG job from Tre by the end of the season. But with Wemby coming, it changes and Tre is needed more both for his PG skill and better defense. We don’t want Wemby in foul trouble helping because the defense collapsed at point of attack if it can be prevented.

Extra Stout
06-25-2023, 01:43 PM
I think they know what they have in Jones, so let’s find out what we have in Branham and Wesley and see what works with Victor. Be patient. If it doesn’t work out, and the team starts 9-23, then at least you know what you have and what you need to do, and besides, it’s just basketball. It’s not life.

Chinook
06-25-2023, 01:49 PM
That's a long way of agreeing with me that Mamu is part of our big man rotation.

He was at the press conference yesterday, by the way.

You're REALLY misreading my post if you came to that conclusion.

You said this:

How in the world is Mamu not going to be in the rotation?

You're asking for a scenario where Mamu is not going to be in next year's rotation.

Then I said this:

That's multiple scenarios where Mamu would be out of the rotation. There are two guys he's absolutely not beating out (Wemba and Sochan), and he's extremely unlikely to beat out Collins as well. So there is one spot he can get, and there are myriad ways for him to not get it. The only way I can understand your interpretation of my post to be agreeing with you is if you consider "rotation" to just mean being on the roster. I don't think that's an invalid definition, but most folks I think consider rotation to be the guys who play every night. I think with that definition, Mamu is more likely to be out than in. I do think he's likely to be on the team unless he just doesn't want to be. But I would expect him to be there as deep-bench guy who doesn't play much.

I'm glad Mamu feels enough about the Spurs' culture to attend events. That speaks highly of the locker room during a trying season. I have no idea who was there and who was not, so I don't know if there is anything to take away from that.

spurraider21
06-25-2023, 01:50 PM
maybe we’re about to have another one of those players tbh
Do you think wemby year 2 will be as good as prime duncan?

or that branham can run an offense even as well as rookie parker?

spurraider21
06-25-2023, 01:53 PM
You need a functional offense which includes someone getting the team into correct positions. Doesn’t have to be a Chris Paul or magic per se. We saw how miserable wemby was in the playoffs because of poor guard play

LeBowen
06-25-2023, 01:58 PM

Almost every team in history needed someone who can run the offense.

That's why I think we need a PG who's going to guarantee that the execution is right. You were talking about Branham at point, while I think that he has potential to do it, I don't think he's ready.
#1 priority this season should be getting Victor comfortable and everyone executing well around him. Tre can do it, but he's not good enough to start, even on a play-in team.

As for all-time greats, a lot of them needed role players to set up the offense, especially bigs.

While superstars can get theirs, without an actual point guard, the offense stagnates. Just look at the Bucks without Middleton or Jrue. Yeah, Giannis gets his, but it's ugly and painful to watch.
Whenever he had an elite playmaker around him, AD looked like an MVP-candidate. When he has to create for himself, he's questionable to say the least.
Embiid is a ball-stopper and a turnover machine when he gets the ball far away from the basket, the entire team stops.
Even KD ruins the flow of the entire team when he takes the ball and acts as a primary playmaker.

Point being that even if Wemby can get his, there's no way that he'll be able to get his and not hinder the flow of the game, at least not in his rookie season.

Personally, I'd look for a point guard who would guarantee that the team would execute properly.
A shooting big like Brook would be nice, but not a priority.

JPB
06-25-2023, 02:11 PM

That's a 2.5 ratio for TP vs. 1.6 for Branham, around 50% better for TP... Branham is still young so he should improve that, specially with Wemby around, but his current ratio is not good.

Edit: I meant Branham, not Tre.

Mr. Body
06-25-2023, 02:18 PM
Sometimes we over think A/TO ratios. You don't get assists if players don't hit shots. Jones hasn't exactly had a ton of targets. I'm more into number of turnovers pg at this point.

TD 21
06-25-2023, 03:29 PM
Branham/ Tre/ Wesley
Vassell/ Graham/ Rice
Wemby/ Keldon/ Mamu
Collins/ Bassey/ Barlow

I could see that being tried at some point, just not initially.

It'd probably mostly be a 9 man rotation, with Graham on the fringe.

Extra Stout
06-25-2023, 03:55 PM
In order to get Branham and Wesley enough playing time to show whether the Spurs should fish or cut bait, there will be some wacky lineups and questionable DNP’s.

BackHome
06-25-2023, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I still see Pop being a mad scientist the only difference is that he is not going to sit out guys for weeks - but I can guarantee they will be games we loose just to see what works and what doesn't work - which I am cool with. Main thing for me this upcoming season is to get enough information as to where we stand with players potential vs what we actually see on court. I am hoping that Blake has worked on his ability to finish at the rim and hoping the game has slowed down enough that he can make smart plays as a PG - As far as Malaki hoping he worked on his lateral quickness and improves on the defensive side of the ball - And Sochan hoping his mid range and 3 ball get better......lots to look at this season should be very entertaining .......oh and of course how Wemby handles the NBA...

spurraider21
10-23-2023, 08:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9KDP04XAAEaxAN?format=jpg&name=medium

scott
10-24-2023, 09:52 AM

Depth Chart

Shout out to OP, who pretty much nailed the opening day roster back in June! Only missing Cedi in place of Barlow on the 15. What’s wild is how active we were during the offseason yet the 15-man roster didn’t really change.

JPB
10-24-2023, 11:10 AM
Shout out to OP, who pretty much nailed the opening day roster back in June! Only missing Cedi in place of Barlow on the 15. What’s wild is how active we were during the offseason yet the 15-man roster didn’t really change.

True, although the role some players may have should be a bit different than what overall envisioned... I'm thinking guys like Champagnie, Barlow, Wesley and Mamu who were given a solid burn last year for evaluation but shouln't see that much playing time this year...from the get go anyway. Particularly Sandro who looks like he's gonna start the season on the deep bench. Wesley could also struggle to even make the team. Few (no one?) even imagined Sochan would be the starting PG, even though you gotta give credit to Dejounte for wondering if Tre would actually start and someone we didn't think about could...

Fizziksman
10-25-2023, 02:58 PM
Couldn't leave a spot for Birch :madrun