PDA

View Full Version : Peter Holt Jr.

Davidicus
06-25-2023, 10:50 AM
Since May 16th, being a Spurs fan has been thrilling, surreal, and honestly a bit strange. It's forced me personally to reflect on our fortuitous history, as now we all hope that history repeats itself.

Reflecting on our timeline inevitably brings up our latest franchise-altering star that went awry. I, like probably all of us, have some PTSD with Kawhi, and what truly went down there. I'm not looking to revisit the past, but rather wondering how we can learn from it going forward - basically, not fuck it up with Victor.

Victor has said nothing but very positive things about being a Spur for a long time, but I am taking them all (gladly) with a grain of salt: Victor is a 19-yo who grew up idolizing the Spurs. We all know that things can change over a 20-year period, sometimes very quickly. This "project" will be an extremely long-term expedition.

Running through the PATFO roster, I 100% trust Pop, RC, and Brian Wright to handle Victor with the utmost care & wisdom.

Which brings me to Peter Holt Jr., who I know next to nothing about, outside of a few youtube interviews. He seems like an ambitious & creative guy, who understands the Spurs history, wants to maintain that, and build on it with things like the new training facility, and an expansion of the fan base into Austin + Mexico.

However, that's about all I know. What do we know about PHJ outside of the interviews? What kind of person is he, and what are his goals reading between the lines?

spursparker9
06-25-2023, 10:53 AM
His favourite cheer is "Let's Go!" if he won the lottery

Russ
06-25-2023, 11:09 AM
Since May 16th, being a Spurs fan has been thrilling, surreal, and honestly a bit strange. It's forced me personally to reflect on our fortuitous history, as now we all hope that history repeats itself.

Reflecting on our timeline inevitably brings up our latest franchise-altering star that went awry. I, like probably all of us, have some PTSD with Kawhi, and what truly went down there. I'm not looking to revisit the past, but rather wondering how we can learn from it going forward - basically, not fuck it up with Victor.

Victor has said nothing but very positive things about being a Spur for a long time, but I am taking them all (gladly) with a grain of salt: Victor is a 19-yo who grew up idolizing the Spurs. We all know that things can change over a 20-year period, sometimes very quickly. This "project" will be an extremely long-term expedition.

Running through the PATFO roster, I 100% trust Pop, RC, and Brian Wright to handle Victor with the utmost care & wisdom.

Which brings me to Peter Holt Jr., who I know next to nothing about, outside of a few youtube interviews. He seems like an ambitious & creative guy, who understands the Spurs history, wants to maintain that, and build on it with things like the new training facility, and an expansion of the fan base into Austin + Mexico.

However, that's about all I know. What do we know about PHJ outside of the interviews? What kind of person is he, and what are his goals reading between the lines?

Nice post but there's nothing to be learned from the Kawhi situation (except maybe to keep going international as much as realistically possible).

Kawhi is a weirdo who will probably be leaving his third straight team on less than great terms. To say there is something to be learned from that is like asking a battered wife to try to learn to do better with her husband.

The only remnant of curiosity I still have about Kawhi is, if he gets into the HOF, what uni will wear? Think about that one. There are no good/obvious candidates.

Which brings me to the only real question I have -- a technical one -- do teams have any say about whether a player gets to go into the Hall in their uniform? Can they veto it? Just asking.

John B
06-25-2023, 11:40 AM
Victor Wembanyama will be the face, not only of the Spurs, but of the whole NBA for the next 20 years. That is a lot of legacy for the franchise and the city of San Antonio not to be trifled with. The new 500 million training facility that will be opened this August gives a preview of the commitment of the owners to this only major sports in San Antonio. While the Holts still remains the majority shareholder, they are backed by billionaires like Michael Dell, investment firm Sixth Street, and Airbnb co-founder Joe Gebbia, who acquired an undisclosed number of shares last year, and recently Viera. I trust the Holts had the foresight to seek deep-pocket investors in preparation for what lies ahead. Peter Holts Jr made it a point to mention the family’s working hard for the franchise at his welcome speech for Wemby. I think “Let’s Go!” pretty much sums up his excitement and passion for the franchise. I’m not worried.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-25-2023, 12:12 PM
I don't know if he hired that bozo in the cowboy hat with the Wemby haircut who they cut to in the arena shortly after drafting Victor, but whoever was in charge of that fiasco should be fired.

slick'81
06-25-2023, 12:27 PM
I don't know if he hired that bozo in the cowboy hat with the Wemby haircut who they cut to in the arena shortly after drafting Victor, but whoever was in charge of that fiasco should be fired.

dude was literally like "yee haw! We gonna win another championship!":lol

200 miles
06-25-2023, 12:58 PM

No, Holt Jr. was absolutely innocent of this complete mockery. This was of course ESPN's doing. The clown in the cowboy hat and jorts was ESPN reporter Marty Smith, who mainly covers NASCAR and SEC football & baseball. This was the first of two shits that ESPN did on the Spurs and San Antonio in general.

They definitely view SA as a podunk hick town and found it convenient to send their resident redneck reporter to SA and have him make a total jackass of himself while belittling our fanbase. It would have been great if he kept that haircut as some sort of penance but oh well.

Oh yes the second shit that ESPN produced was courtesy of one Stephen A Smith who was interviewing Wemby with his parents. After a few Spur related questions, he just could not resist and asked Wemby about his thoughts on New York and subtly presented NYC as an option to Wemby after VW finishes his rookie contract.

Russ
06-25-2023, 01:43 PM

That bozo is named Marty Smith and he's a mainstay on the SEC Network (a subsidiary of ESPN) which celebrates all things hillbilly.

He has nothing to do with SA, Texas or the Spurs (or even basketball for that matter, he's SEC football all the way).

He's an embarrassment even by standards of the former Confederacy.

He's Alabama Crimson Tide till the cows come home, literally -- they might as well have brought back Primo to emcee the ceremony.

CorrectCrusader
06-25-2023, 01:45 PM

The only remnant of curiosity I still have about Kawhi is, if he gets into the HOF, what uni will wear? Think about that one. There are no good/obvious candidates.

It'll be Toronto.

Russ
06-25-2023, 01:50 PM
It'll be Toronto.

Probably. Mutual desperation creates strange bedfellows.

My god, they'll say, let's marvel at that storied Kawhi Lenard era in Toronto -- that epic one-year!

Das Texan
06-25-2023, 02:49 PM

That was 100% an ESPN thing and an ESPN thing alone.

Seventyniner
06-25-2023, 03:29 PM

This. He had ESPN in red on the side of his head.

Extra Stout
06-25-2023, 04:06 PM
This. He had ESPN in red on the side of his head.
Seeing Marty Smith at AT&T Center seemed so jarring and out of place. San Antonio is closer to Albuquerque culturally than it is to a Deep South place like East Texas.

baseline bum
06-25-2023, 04:10 PM
He likes Pollos Asodos Los Nortenos

exstatic
06-25-2023, 04:46 PM
He likes Pollos Asodos Los Nortenos

Who wouldn’t? The first time I met friends there, the directions I got were to turn inside 410 on Rigsby, and look for the smoke pillar. Epic chicken and sides.

Extra Stout
06-25-2023, 05:02 PM
That place is famous even outside of SA

baseline bum
06-25-2023, 05:08 PM
Who wouldn’t? The first time I met friends there, the directions I got were to turn inside 410 on Rigsby, and look for the smoke pillar. Epic chicken and sides.

Yeah I love that avocado salsa too. You ever tried the Walzem location? Wondering if it's as good as the original.

exstatic
06-25-2023, 05:16 PM
Yeah I love that avocado salsa too. You ever tried the Walzem location? Wondering if it's as good as the original.

The Walzem location is authentic. Ate there once, and it was good. There are a number of knockoffs that aren’t as good.

lefty
06-25-2023, 05:34 PM
:lol he looks like RC Buford tbh

Uriel
06-25-2023, 06:30 PM
The lesson to be learned from the Kawhi saga is this: always screen players for any potential douchebag uncles.

MultiTroll
06-25-2023, 07:18 PM
The lesson to be learned from the Kawhi saga is this: always screen players for any potential douchebag uncles.
Solid source says Kwa gave no indication of bailing from the Spurs.

Appears Uncles douchie influence came well after Kwa was a Spur.

baseline bum
06-25-2023, 08:34 PM
The Walzem location is authentic. Ate there once, and it was good. There are a number of knockoffs that aren’t as good.

Including one on the other side of the street on Walzem :lol

illusioNtEk
06-26-2023, 04:01 AM
The only motivation behind his cheer was the financial gains on the horizon... nothing more

baseline bum
06-26-2023, 09:03 AM

LOL just had a report from KSAT about them show up in my youtube recommendations, about how the EPA made them add an expensive filtration system because they were putting so much smoke into the air. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2023, 11:57 AM

:tu Explains a lot.

cutewizard
06-28-2023, 08:16 AM
No, Holt Jr. was absolutely innocent of this complete mockery. This was of course ESPN's doing. The clown in the cowboy hat and jorts was ESPN reporter Marty Smith, who mainly covers NASCAR and SEC football & baseball. This was the first of two shits that ESPN did on the Spurs and San Antonio in general.

They definitely view SA as a podunk hick town and found it convenient to send their resident redneck reporter to SA and have him make a total jackass of himself while belittling our fanbase. It would have been great if he kept that haircut as some sort of penance but oh well.

Oh yes the second shit that ESPN produced was courtesy of one Stephen A Smith who was interviewing Wemby with his parents. After a few Spur related questions, he just could not resist and asked Wemby about his thoughts on New York and subtly presented NYC as an option to Wemby after VW finishes his rookie contract.

Fuck Stephen Smith