PDA

View Full Version : Victor Wembanyama Won't Play for the French National Team at the World Cup This Summer

timvp
06-26-2023, 04:25 AM
That's what Google translate tells me: https://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/Actualites/Victor-wembanyama-ne-participera-pas-a-la-coupe-du-monde-avec-l-equipe-de-france/1404837

It has to be considered the right move, IMO. It would have been asking for trouble to play the entire French season, go to the championship round in France, play in summer league, go to the world World Cup and then head right into training camp.

td4mvp2k
06-26-2023, 04:33 AM
:tu

Fireball
06-26-2023, 04:40 AM
Would have liked to see him play on that level but as you said ... its the right move!

JPB
06-26-2023, 05:01 AM
The article says Victor took the decision himself after consulting his staff and people around him, and spurs would have accepted whatever choice he would have made... No pressure from the spurs.

Victor said he hesitated a lot but gives the "protection and construction of his body" as an explaination. He warned his french NT teammates and coach in a visio conference..

Vic: "That wouldn't be realistic in terms of develoment and not careful in terms of health"... I hope people will understand. That's frustrating for me, french NT is still central, I want to win as much titles as possibe with it, but I thnk it's a necessary sacrifice"...

That would represent like 170 games in 24 months for Vic, including next season in the NBA... That's what he'll have to go through at some point.

Rocalcio
06-26-2023, 05:13 AM
As long as he's with us for the Olympics in Paris.

Maddog
06-26-2023, 05:16 AM
As long as he's with us for the Olympics in Paris.

I may reading into this-but suspect that is part of the calculation.
This would mean basically non-stop till summer of 2025

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-26-2023, 05:32 AM
Good news for the Spurs and great that he's come to the decision himself entirely. We see again and again how self aware and mature he is, it's incredible really at his age. His parents, advisors and trainers deserve immense praise.

Bruno
06-26-2023, 05:33 AM
It is 100% the right move. It would have been crazy for Wembanyama, with the effort he put into staying healthy, to play with FNT this summer.
He needed some time off to rest both physically and mentally. It will also allow him to adjust at the daily life in SA/USA, to work on his body and on his game.

It is also nice that he said Spurs' didn't pressure him into not playing. Props to him for taking responsibility of this choice. :tu

SpursFan86
06-26-2023, 06:58 AM
Wow, a bit surprised but definitely think it’s the right move. It always had to be either playing with the French national team or playing in SL; playing in both after a deep playoff run just doesn’t make sense at this point. While the World Cup is more meaningful from a competitive standpoint, Victor getting reps in an NBA setting with his future teammates and coaches is definitely more meaningful to his development.

Also glad to hear it was his own decision and not the Spurs mandating anything.

Dex
06-26-2023, 07:44 AM
Would have been cool to see him out there for his team, but selfishly glad he is choosing to take it easy. Less games = less risk of injury before the NBA season starts. Now he can use that time to get his body healed up, get acclimated in San Antonio, work with the Spurs staff and coaches to start prepping for the NBA marathon.

Rocalcio
06-26-2023, 08:02 AM
I may reading into this-but suspect that is part of the calculation.
This would mean basically non-stop till summer of 2025

Yes that's the idea indeed. Every athlete here in France is focusing on the Olympics at home.

Dejounte
06-26-2023, 08:24 AM
Isnt Sidy going to be part of this?

Fireball
06-26-2023, 08:51 AM
Isnt Sidy going to be part of this? he is not part of the French National Team and with the talent level of France I doubt he will be ...

MultiTroll
06-26-2023, 08:58 AM
Duh

slick'81
06-26-2023, 09:07 AM
Yea,definitely the right move. Hes played alot of basketball and needs a breather

lefty
06-26-2023, 09:09 AM
Good
Fuck international basketball

Russ
06-26-2023, 09:24 AM
It may be more about having time to get set up in SA more than resting his body.

If he's off to Europe before he can get situated, he's going to have to do all that when he gets back right before training camp starts -- when all concentration should be on trying to make a team come together.

kobyz
06-26-2023, 09:28 AM
even if he would agree to precipitate he wouldn't play much, he still work in progress and not ready for big minutes in competetive high level competition

Spursmania
06-26-2023, 09:56 AM
Mature decision by Wemby. I remember Pop always having these issues with Parker and Ginobili. Not sure if Pop ever had any real say on whether they went or not, but in Wemby's case (and given the Kawhi debacle) Pop is treading more carefully and open minded. I am glad Wemby made the prudent decision. We all want to see him play, especially the French, but most ppl understand his health is paramount and he is going to take such a beating this season. He has a big target on his back and players will be gunning for him. He needs this time to develop and train.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2023, 12:03 PM
Good
Fuck international basketball

Maybe that's what the first 3 letters in FIBA stand for :lol. I've never understood how "International Basketball Federation" translates to FIBA, Federation International Basketball Association I guess. Sounds like Ducks came up with the name.

Smart move for Wemby. Luka looks kind of worn-down from all the international play piled on the NBA schedule, and he's a lot more stout than Wemby...probably not in better shape though.

Texas_Ranger
06-26-2023, 12:12 PM
Maybe that's what the first 3 letters in FIBA stand for :lol. I've never understood how "International Basketball Federation" translates to FIBA, Federation International Basketball Association I guess. Sounds like Ducks came up with the name.

Smart move for Wemby. Luka looks kind of worn-down from all the international play piled on the NBA schedule, and he's a lot more stout than Wemby...probably not in better shape though.

Luka hasn't had an International break since 2017 and managed to play heavy minutes in Europe and the NBA, while also having to be the leader of every team he was a part of... This guy not wanting to play for France, where he wouldn't even have to play big minutes, at 19, just shows you how much the Spurs and him fear injuries. For all that hype, he better perform great right from the start. I better not hear some retarded excuses how he needs 2-3 years to get used to the league.

exstatic
06-26-2023, 12:21 PM
Luka hasn't had an International break since 2017 and managed to play heavy minutes in Europe and the NBA, while also having to be the leader of every team he was a part of... This guy not wanting to play for France, where he wouldn't even have to play big minutes, at 19, just shows you how much the Spurs and him fear injuries. For all that hype, he better perform great right from the start. I better not hear some retarded excuses how he needs 2-3 years to get used to the league.

Or what?

Texas_Ranger
06-26-2023, 12:24 PM
Or what?

or the spurs are gonna have to tank again real soon.

GAustex
06-26-2023, 12:25 PM
Wemby is no Manu

exstatic
06-26-2023, 12:26 PM
or the spurs are gonna have to tank again real soon.

Spoiler alert: It's going to take him 2-3 years to fully adjust to the NBA game.

rjv
06-26-2023, 12:51 PM
wemby can use the time to recover from the texas heat

Ariel
06-26-2023, 12:55 PM
Wemby is no Manu
Manu was 25 for his rookie year, Wemby is 19.

Ariel
06-26-2023, 12:59 PM
Did it ever cross your mind that there are languages OTHER than English?

Mr. Body
06-26-2023, 01:21 PM

:lol

JPB
06-26-2023, 01:32 PM
Maybe that's what the first 3 letters in FIBA stand for :lol. I've never understood how "International Basketball Federation" translates to FIBA, Federation Internationale Basketball Association I guess. Sounds like Ducks came up with the name.

FIBA official language use to be (and maybe still is) french when it was created as Federation Internationale de Basketball Amateur (Amateur Basketball International federation)

Now FIBA acronym just means Federation Internationale de BAsketball. (Basketball international federation).

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2023, 01:42 PM

Some of you don't recognize humor.

taps
06-26-2023, 01:43 PM

If English was good enough for Jesus it’s good enough for everybody else

Extra Stout
06-26-2023, 01:46 PM
He literally WROTE THE BIBLE. I think he was the greatest of the Founding Fathers.

Extra Stout
06-26-2023, 01:47 PM
If the British hadn’t killed him I think he would have been President instead of Ben Franklin

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2023, 01:48 PM
FIBA official language use to be (and maybe still is) french when it was created as Federation Internationale de Basketball Amateur (Amateur Basketball International federation)

Now FIBA acronym just means Federation Internationale de BAsketball. (Basketball international federation).

Thanks for the clarification. I could have sworn Fvcking was in there somewhere...sadly no, it appears.

Extra Stout
06-26-2023, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I could have sworn Fvcking was in there somewhere...sadly no, it appears.
It stands for Fuck International Basketball, Assholes

spurs10
06-26-2023, 01:49 PM
If English was good enough for Jesus it’s good enough for everybody else :lol

exstatic
06-26-2023, 01:50 PM

He literally WROTE THE BIBLE. I think he was the greatest of the Founding Fathers.

https://i0.wp.com/ascienceenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/obi-wan-jesus-cover.jpg?fit=758%2C398&ssl=1

spurs10
06-26-2023, 01:51 PM
If the British hadn’t killed him I think he would have been President instead of Ben Franklin I knew it....Jesus spoke American!!

Ariel
06-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Some of you don't recognize humor.
I guess I've read similar statements seriously intended so many times, it's becoming harder and harder to draw the line between the 2. I'm losing my faith in humanity :depressed

taps
06-26-2023, 02:17 PM
LJ: 5:00 A.M.

AP/NBA.com: 9 A.M.

https://www.nba.com/news/victor-wembanyama-out-fiba-world-cup

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2023, 02:18 PM
I guess I've read similar statements seriously intended so many times, it's becoming harder and harder to draw the line between the 2. I'm losing my faith in humanity :depressed

I get it. :tu

taps
06-26-2023, 02:28 PM
Ed I figured you were joking I just opportunistic about putting that Ann Richards quote out there

Ice009
06-27-2023, 06:19 AM
Wow. I didn't expect him to do this, but I think it's the right choice. It's good for him to get acclimated to his new city, team and teammates, and also get a bit of a rest while also working on his body/conditioning going into his first ever NBA season. Very smart young man. I don't know what the most number of games he's played in a season prior to this is, but the NBA season is very long, so going into his first one, preparing the best he can for it is the right choice IMO.

Pauleta14
06-27-2023, 07:34 PM
He played about 55 games this season, Didn't miss one.

Ice009
06-27-2023, 08:42 PM
He played about 55 games this season, Didn't miss one.

Cool, thanks. Good amount of games, but NBA season is still more, so taking some time to rest and get acclimated to the US and San Antonio would be a good thing IMO.