PDA

View Full Version : Mock drafts..

mo7888
06-26-2023, 06:02 AM
Here's a way to early look at Espn's 2024 mock-

Highlights- it has Charlotte retaining their pick coming in at #3, it has us picking at #7 (DJ Wagner PG KY) #12 (TyreseProctor PG Duke), and Bronny going #17 to Atlanta.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37905297/2024-nba-mock-draft-top-prospects-next-year

mo7888
06-26-2023, 06:05 AM
For comparison, here's their 2023 mock from this time last year..

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34130416/2023-nba-mock-draft-g-league-ignite-elite-college-basketball-stars-repped-top-5

scott
06-26-2023, 06:22 AM
Last year’s was fairly decent considering it was a year out.

TrainOfThought5
06-26-2023, 11:07 AM
Getting Bronny, AND Lebron would be crazy!

exstatic
06-26-2023, 11:10 AM

Nope. Not interested in that shit show.

CorrectCrusader
06-26-2023, 11:10 AM
Here's a way to early look at Espn's 2024 mock-

Highlights- it has Charlotte retaining their pick coming in at #3, it has us picking at #7 (DJ Wagner PG KY) #12 (TyreseProctor PG Duke), and Bronny going #17 to Atlanta.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37905297/2024-nba-mock-draft-top-prospects-next-year

I'd love Wagner

Mr. Body
06-26-2023, 11:11 AM
Does anyone have a good listing of a provisional draft order? I'm more interested in what teams actually have picks than the players at this time.

Ariel
06-26-2023, 11:17 AM
Does anyone have a good listing of a provisional draft order? I'm more interested in what teams actually have picks than the players at this time.
Not draft order, but there you have which picks belong to which team for next year: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/yearly

mo7888
06-26-2023, 12:05 PM
I'd love Wagner

I haven't really gotten into next years group yet, but I did look at Tyrese Proctor pretty close before he pulled out and was pretty high on him. He seems spursy too...

exstatic
06-26-2023, 12:07 PM
I'd love Wagner

The problem with 6'2" SGs is that they can't defend the position, let alone slide up and defend 3s.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2023, 12:09 PM
Nope. Not interested in that shit show.

Agreed. All the hype will be on an over-the-hill superstar and his over-hyped son. We can go through a season of underachievement only to have LeBron blame the FO for not putting the right team around him and his son in order to be successful.

Eek. No gracias.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2023, 12:10 PM
Spurs will probably be around 15 next draft.

mo7888
06-26-2023, 12:14 PM
Spurs will probably be around 15 next draft.

Yup, I iexpect the Toronto pick to be better than our own.

exstatic
06-26-2023, 12:18 PM
Agreed. All the hype will be on an over-the-hill superstar and his over-hyped son. We can go through a season of underachievement only to have LeBron blame the FO for not putting the right team around him and his son in order to be successful.

Eek. No gracias.

The thing is, with all of the hype around Bronny, Bryce is slipping in under the radar. He was a 6 foot-ish PG who has grown into a wing player who's lost none of those skills, and is called the best shooter in the family by his dad. Draft class of '26.

Mr. Body
06-26-2023, 12:21 PM
Not draft order, but there you have which picks belong to which team for next year: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/yearly

I use that site, too, but don't want to go through and figure out a listed draft...

Chinook
06-26-2023, 12:21 PM
I don't know much about Bronny, but the little I've heard suggests he could be a very good role-playing guard in the NBA I wouldn't mind that at all next to Wemby and whatever stars the team can put with him. They don't have to sign Lebron just because he wants to play with his son. Bronny in his own right seems like a Spurs player.

Ariel
06-26-2023, 12:26 PM
I use that site, too, but don't want to go through and figure out a listed draft...
What do you mean listed? Any ordering at this point is artificial and misleading, the only factual information is which teams have which picks, and that's where it is.

exstatic
06-26-2023, 12:28 PM

Just wait for TaT to roll over to next year. They'll have some hokey order up there, but they always have traded picks indicated.

MultiTroll
06-26-2023, 01:10 PM

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34130416/2023-nba-mock-draft-g-league-ignite-elite-college-basketball-stars-repped-top-5
Does signing up get us in or will they be trying to extort payment?

exstatic
06-26-2023, 01:13 PM

Extortion.

Mr. Body
06-26-2023, 01:19 PM
What do you mean listed? Any ordering at this point is artificial and misleading, the only factual information is which teams have which picks, and that's where it is.

Just a general fucking mock like everyone ran before the lottery. I don't know why that's hard to understand.

Seventyniner
06-26-2023, 02:47 PM
I don't know much about Bronny, but the little I've heard suggests he could be a very good role-playing guard in the NBA I wouldn't mind that at all next to Wemby and whatever stars the team can put with him. They don't have to sign Lebron just because he wants to play with his son. Bronny in his own right seems like a Spurs player.

Drafting Bronny and telling LeBron to fuck off would be hilarious, but I don't see it happening. I think Bronny will go at least 5 spots higher than he should just for the chance to have LeBron for a year.

Extra Stout
06-26-2023, 02:50 PM
Suckery for Zaccharie

Ariel
06-26-2023, 03:02 PM
Just a general fucking mock like everyone ran before the lottery. I don't know why that's hard to understand.
The difference between that list and the source I gave you are positions, which is the only thing irrelevant at this point since we have no clue what they'll be. But if it makes you happy you can copy paste it in an excel sheet and sort it in your preferred order in less than it takes you to make a post. If you don't know how to do that, wait a couple days and Tankathon will do it for you.

spurs1990
06-26-2023, 03:15 PM
Drafting Bronny and telling LeBron to fuck off would be hilarious, but I don't see it happening. I think Bronny will go at least 5 spots higher than he should just for the chance to have LeBron for a year.

There's marketing value signing James if SA gets James Jr. Caveat would James has to settle for a cap friendly number, which is consistent in signing quality for contention, if #1 turns out to be the real deal

playblair
06-26-2023, 03:22 PM
ron holland is the best pf prospect since tim duncan........

mo7888
06-26-2023, 03:33 PM

Extortion, but cut and paste it in the browser here:

https://archive.ph/

exstatic
06-26-2023, 03:38 PM
There's marketing value signing James if SA gets James Jr. Caveat would James has to settle for a cap friendly number, which is consistent in signing quality for contention, if #1 turns out to be the real deal

The real deal is that Bronny will top out at rotation level player.

jesterbobman
06-26-2023, 04:08 PM
I think most mocks are all over the place on prospects after Matas, Zach and Ron Holland. E.g Cody Williams from 6 at ESPN to 14 at nbadraftroom

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2024-nba-mock-draft/

Prospective orders are all guessing, which will firm up a bit post FA after some of the cap teams get good players / luxury teams unload to save $$.

I think we could reasonably guess that Toronto's pick is at a similar spot to this year (internal development from youth / losing FVV cancel out a bit), and the Spurs will get better through not tanking / less cautious approach to injury management, but probably still a lottery team. Guesses on range seem about right.

I still think we're in a talent acquisition stage, and there's enough flexibility with our guys that you wouldn't pass on anyone for fit - Wemby is probably a 5 in future, but he could also have a role as a giant JJJ as an off ball defender, so a Centre (Mara, Bradshaw) could work, or Holland as another wing, or Collier / Proctor.
At this stage, I also don't think there's anything close to a clear #1 prospect, so these rankings will probably change more than the early 2023 mock, where we knew it was Wemby since 2020.

baseline bum
06-26-2023, 04:16 PM

Fuck Bronny. His little brother who shot up in height this year might end a pretty solid prospect though.

Uriel
06-26-2023, 07:00 PM

It’s so interesting how Brandon Miller and Nick Smith Jr have almost exactly switched places in the draft order. This after Smith suffered a disappointing season after a knee injury and Miller had a great season from being in an ideal environment.

Isn’t it fair to say that Miller and Smith are merely beneficiaries of good and bad fortune respectively? And that their ultimate draft position was largely a result of luck, rather than pure basketball talent?

If so, it just goes to show what a crapshoot the draft process is.

mo7888
06-26-2023, 07:23 PM
It’s so interesting how Brandon Miller and Nick Smith Jr have almost exactly switched places in the draft order. This after Smith suffered a disappointing season after a knee injury and Miller had a great season from being in an ideal environment.

Isn’t it fair to say that Miller and Smith are merely beneficiaries of good and bad fortune respectively? And that their ultimate draft position was largely a result of luck, rather than pure basketball talent?

Partly luck and partly bad decisions... For as much as we like to credit guys for playing through pain and grinding it out, the decision to do so cost NSJ millions upfront. He has a good chance to be a better player longterm. More upside for sure..

Mr. Body
06-26-2023, 07:30 PM

Probably a result of awful high school evaluations. Nick Smith's high school production wasn't actually that great. Ranking him as high as #1 makes no sense. Otherwise, most of the time evaluators have no idea what they're doing. They talk to AAU boosters and other shady types, then once a player commits to Duke or Kentucky they move them up again.

Once players actually play the next level, that's when we learn who they are. Then every year people are amazed when there's a lot of movement, as if perfect knowledge was possible from imperfect people for imperfect reasons and not a single dribble of higher leve basketball has happened yet.

JPB
06-26-2023, 07:43 PM
The thing is, with all of the hype around Bronny, Bryce is slipping in under the radar. He was a 6 foot-ish PG who has grown into a wing player who's lost none of those skills, and is called the best shooter in the family by his dad. Draft class of '26.

Maybe he is but I wouldn't take a dad's take on his son of a player without a grain of salt.