PDA

View Full Version : Ranked: The 50 Free Agents Most Likely to Sign with the Spurs

timvp
06-30-2023, 03:23 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-free-agent-signings-2023-ranked/

This was a much more difficult exercise than I imagined when I started writing it. It's an annoyingly weak free agent class, for sure :lol

Spursfanfromafar
06-30-2023, 04:17 AM
Thanks for this. For me, realistically and fit wise, getting Donte DiVincenzo on a reasonable 3 year deal and Plumlee on a short deal would be a good haul. And trading Graham/Birch/a pick for Monte Morris / Delonte Wright should suffice for the offseason. This should round up a good developmental squad that can compete for the play in and ease Wemby into the NBA simultaneously.

duncan2150
06-30-2023, 04:53 AM
Thanks timvp

i'm surprised to don't see Jaxson Hayes in a 50 fa list

My targets would be

Coby white or Donte Di Vicenzo at Guards
Hayes, Bryant, Plumlee at Centers

Reading this article i could be interested in Josh Okogie, Jalen Mc Daniels and Taurean Prince.

JPB
06-30-2023, 05:10 AM
would stay away from Vezenkov and Micic who are total unknow in the NBA at 27 and 29... As I said in another thread, how many euro (or any) players entered the NBA at that age for a successful career? They should already be in, and I don't want our Rigaudeau.

AusSpur
06-30-2023, 05:18 AM
Throwing a big declining bag at Reaves is probably my preferred move this summer.

jermaine
06-30-2023, 05:49 AM
Maybe in a Spurs Homer but I'll be happy with Danny Green, Drew, CoJo, George Hill, or Purtel. They all already know their place an system. Green an Hill knows they'll be behind Vassell, Johnson, Jones, etc. Purtel can mam the paint with Wemby play offball help. But Mason P wouldn't be a bad choice either

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-30-2023, 05:59 AM
My ideal offseason would be getting Brook Lopez and trading for Mike Conley if Minnesota gets a PG. Unlikely, admittedly.

I like taking a chance on a couple of underwhelming but promising young players such as McDaniels, White or Alexander-Walker but the Spurs are probably in a different mode with Wemby on board.

I’d also stay away from Micic and Vezenkov unless they come cheaply. Vezenkov will not be able to survive as a 3 in the NBA, he’s a 4 in the mould of Detroit’s Bogdanovic.

Also, wouldn’t mind testing Lakers with an offer for Reaves, I think he’ll be worth that contract and he’s an easy fit in any kind of a team.

exstatic
06-30-2023, 06:27 AM
Throwing a big declining bag at Reaves is probably my preferred move this summer.

Can’t. I believe the Arenas rule states that the first two years have to be at the MLE or below for non Bird FAs of teams over the cap, so, first two years ~$25M, last two years ~$75M. It gives them a chance to match without breaking other cap rules.

AusSpur
06-30-2023, 06:43 AM
Can’t. I believe the Arenas rule states that the first two years have to be at the MLE or below for non Bird FAs of teams over the cap, so, first two years ~$25M, last two years ~$75M. It gives them a chance to match without breaking other cap rules.

Damn. Plumlee it is then. Or do we go Poeltl and Richardson for the lolz?

SpurSpike
06-30-2023, 06:56 AM
If I'm the Spurs I'm going after Shake, Thomas, and Plumlee. Shake Milton was really good when harden was out last season. Looked like he could be a starting point guard on another team. Thomas was also good when given a a bigger role in AD absence. Plumlee wood be a good vet to have.

slick'81
06-30-2023, 07:47 AM
Seeing mason plumlee and josh richardson as top 2 :flag:

vander
06-30-2023, 07:49 AM
I feel like signing any FA is a loss. Spurs just need to hit the salary floor, so trading for a bad contract and some more 2nd round picks is the play.

rankingtear
06-30-2023, 07:50 AM
Windy said we would surprise in free agency. Is Austin Reaves offer sheet or resigning Jakob a surprise? Also with Herb RFA, make us prime Jonas dumping ground, some draft asset and/or a flier on someone like Kira.

Mr. Body
06-30-2023, 07:51 AM
Still feels unlikely to me that they will want to take on more than a year of salary for any players if they can help it. None of these players moves the needle a ton and they would strap down segments of the cap in pointless ways.

Other than one year or flexible deals, like for Josh Richardson.

slick'81
06-30-2023, 07:52 AM
Thats a real shitty list unfortunately

rascal
06-30-2023, 08:04 AM
There's three ways to upgrade the roster around Wemby, the draft, free agency or trades.

The Spurs struck out on significantly upgrading the roster on draft day and looks like free agency will be another strike out so on to what trades can/will the Spurs pull off.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2023, 08:12 AM
Draymond or bust!

Extra Stout
06-30-2023, 08:16 AM
There's three ways to upgrade the roster around Wemby, the draft, free agency or trades.

The Spurs struck out on significantly upgrading the roster on draft day and looks like free agency will be another strike out so on to what trades can/will the Spurs pull off.
I think they’re looking to the history of teams that built star power through the draft over the period of a few years, and thus are content to be patient rather than to make bold moves now to improve the roster for 2023-24. They’ll look around, they’ll inquire, they won’t sit on their hands, but unless they’re getting outrageously good deals they’ll be content to have modest improvement next season and to make another high draft pick.

rascal
06-30-2023, 08:18 AM
I think they’re looking to the history of teams that built star power through the draft over the period of a few years, and thus are content to be patient rather than to make bold moves now to improve the roster for 2023-24. They’ll look around, they’ll inquire, they won’t sit on their hands, but unless they’re getting outrageously good deals they’ll be content to have modest improvement next season and to make another high draft pick.

That's too conservative. There is no guarantee next year's draft picks are going to even be lottery picks.

jjspur
06-30-2023, 08:23 AM
The purpose of signing a free agent is to plug a hole or to improve from a player we already have. That being said, I'd like to see Coby white or Shake Milton for guards and Jalen McDaniels for defensive purposes. In seeing the spurs operate for the last decade or two, we know thy won't make any outlandish moves. They will go probably conservative, signing players like Plumlee or maybe retreads like George Hill or Corey Joseph or even Drew Eubanks.

My guess is that they sign Vassell and then sign some low salaried players to keep their flexibility open for the trade deadline. The spurs will make their flashy moves once they know what kind of team they have and how much more they need to improve it. Even with Wemby aboard, they spurs have to decide if they want to take big steps or small incremental steps. We will see soon enough.

poopbox
06-30-2023, 08:24 AM
I didn't think about Plumlee. He'd be a perfect fit for wow I think the Spurs are going to want to play this year. I don't think a 1 year deal would get it done though.

exstatic
06-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Thats a real shitty list unfortunately

It’s a shitty FA class.

rascal
06-30-2023, 08:28 AM
The Spurs can end up right back where they didn't want to be, a play in quality team for years. Internal growth of the current team will likely just get the spurs to that point.
A team not good enough to contend with Wemby.

They are already punting the first year.

rankingtear
06-30-2023, 08:28 AM

Duren for Sochan an upgrade or downgrade?

Spurs Homer
06-30-2023, 08:30 AM
Gabe Vincent

Schroder

Cam Johnson

Brook Lopez

Purtle

any two of those would help -

no one else on that list is worth the effort...

*edit - add Watanabe to the list -*

Degoat
06-30-2023, 08:45 AM
Ayo Donsumu is interesting but doubt the spurs want many projects

CorrectCrusader
06-30-2023, 08:47 AM
If I'm the Spurs I'm going after Shake, Thomas, and Plumlee. Shake Milton was really good when harden was out last season. Looked like he could be a starting point guard on another team. Thomas was also good when given a a bigger role in AD absence. Plumlee wood be a good vet to have.

I'd love Milton, he's been a solid guard for a few years now.

spurraider21
06-30-2023, 08:49 AM
That’s the structure of the offer sheet and if lakers match that is the structure they’re stuck with. But if they don’t match the spurs would get him on a more traditional incremental structure

Philthemage
06-30-2023, 08:53 AM
Getting watanabe for a good price would be a dream.

exstatic
06-30-2023, 08:55 AM
That’s the structure of the offer sheet and if lakers match that is the structure they’re stuck with. But if they don’t match the spurs would get him on a more traditional incremental structure

I'm pretty sure that the offer sheet becomes the contract if LA doesn't match. Why mandate the offer sheet structure if you can just change it later?

Russ
06-30-2023, 09:07 AM
Seems like the main options for the Spurs are (1) sign a FA to get up to the salary floor or (2) trade for a bad contract to get to the floor.

A FA would likely have to agree to an inflated one year deal for the Spurs to avoid the "big mistake." Such a player might agree to a one year deal (not ideal for the player) because he would be vastly overpaid for that one year.

The trade option is also tricky because, again, the Spurs would likely favor a one year deal -- and even bad one year contracts have some value to the team possessing them ("expiring contracts").

We know the FA list now but what about the bad contract list? Are there any big bad one year contracts that a team would give an asset (draft pick, young player) for the Spurs to take on? Would the Spurs take a bad two year deal, gambling on the idea that they wouldn't need that cap space next year either?

The next article could be "The Worst Short-Term Bad Contracts the Spurs Could Take On." timvp? (You need to start doing some work around here timvp. :lol)

Davidicus
06-30-2023, 09:11 AM
Windy said we would surprise in free agency. Is Austin Reaves offer sheet or resigning Jakob a surprise? Also with Herb RFA, make us prime Jonas dumping ground, some draft asset and/or a flier on someone like Kira.

This is a catch-all the media loves to say about the Spurs because they run their org like a DOJ investigation. Allows them to look "correct" when we do something.

I don't think we do anything surprising by ESPN's standards, like an Austin Reaves. But I do think we surprise SpursTalkers by going after "their guy" that we didn't quite anticipate (although timvp's list is quite extensive, great job as always).

Degoat
06-30-2023, 09:15 AM
I anticipate by “surprise,” Windy means people will be surprised the spurs didn’t do anything but give Tre the bag with all their cap space lol

Plot Twist- the spurs sign Russell Westbrook lol could you imagine

TD 21
06-30-2023, 09:27 AM
If the Knicks sign DiVincenzo, I wonder if Quickley becomes attainable.

Something like 4/$80M sign and trade, along with Fournier, for Graham, maybe Wesley and one of the lesser 1sts, could work.

cutewizard
06-30-2023, 09:34 AM
Bring back Jacob and Cory

Ariel
06-30-2023, 09:38 AM
If the Knicks sign DiVincenzo, I wonder if Quickley becomes attainable.

Something like 4/$80M sign and trade, along with Fournier, for Graham, maybe Wesley and one of the lesser 1sts, could work.
They seem pretty high on Quickley, maybe he can be be had in the right package, but I doubt an iffy first, leftovers and a project will do it.

Degoat
06-30-2023, 09:42 AM
On the Windhorst podcast today he doesn’t mention the spurs or anything but does mention that he expects Nola to try to salary dump some guys because if they do resign Herb Jones they’ll be in the luxury tax and they have never payed the luxury tax in team history lol

Fck it give us Valuncianas and call it a day

rankingtear
06-30-2023, 09:55 AM
Getting Brook Lopez is a little surprising. Everyone assume he is going back, but why would he turn down a 50/2 offer. Bud is not there anymore.

Russ
06-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Here's a nice list of top FAs "broken down by skill set."

https://www.nba.com/news/breaking-down-the-skill-set-of-2023-free-agent-class

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2023, 10:11 AM
I'm ok with this list. There could be a strategic acquisition or two to be had. I'm of the opinion that Keldon and Devin will both be better around Wemby. Strengthen the center position, add some defense and outside shooting and this team is really pretty competitive in today's NBA. We've seen that the "big" name players rarely make the team they go to that much better. The Clippers haven't done jack with Kawhi and PG. The Nets (and subsequently the Mavs with Kyrie) couldn't get it done. The Lakers are a joke with AD and Lebron James the supposed GOAT. Even the Warriors were flawed.

Giannis won a championship as the only star on the Bucks, and the Nuggets did it with the Joker, an all-star level support in Murray and then a bunch of solid role players. I think the Spurs can follow that model. In some ways they'll be forced to, as the big names won't want to buy into San Antonio's culture or system. That said, I'm not sure you need a team with three Hall of Famers to win a championship in today's NBA.

TD 21
06-30-2023, 10:14 AM
They seem pretty high on Quickley, maybe he can be be had in the right package, but I doubt an iffy first, leftovers and a project will do it.

It'd actually be an extension, not a sign-and-trade, but the rest applies. Maybe the draft capital would need to be slightly better, but they'd be getting out ahead of a looming roster/salary crunch.

I know the Knicks are high on Quickley, but his role will always be somewhat suppressed with Brunson (former is a combo, but both small guards) and in addition to them, they have Barrett, Grimes, Hart and probably DiVincenzo, all 20+ mpg players with salaries commensurate (save Grimes yet).

Ice009
06-30-2023, 10:46 AM
When does free agency start exactly? July 1st 12am EST?

Mr. Body
06-30-2023, 10:49 AM
When does free agency start exactly? July 1st 12am EST?

6 pm EST

CorrectCrusader
06-30-2023, 10:53 AM
I anticipate by “surprise,” Windy means people will be surprised the spurs didn’t do anything but give Tre the bag with all their cap space lol

Plot Twist- the spurs sign Russell Westbrook lol could you imagine

Honestly I wouldn't be upset at Russell coming here. He looked good with the Clippers.

Extra Stout
06-30-2023, 11:00 AM
Valanciunas makes sense for both sides

DPG21920
06-30-2023, 11:00 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-free-agent-signings-2023-ranked/

This was a much more difficult exercise than I imagined when I started writing it. It's an annoyingly weak free agent class, for sure :lol

Seriously depressing group and write up lmao

Jak Im down with but only at something like 4/75M or less. He can tell teams 4/80 all he wants but there’s not many teams that can or will pay him that. Spurs can get a good player and spend big if it’s a good value.

Jak at less than 20M on a declining deal would fit that bill and he could be traded later if need be too. That’s what SA needs to think about. Can use cap space for a bad deal and pick or do what GS did with Russell and sign a good player to be used in trade later too.

Ariel
06-30-2023, 11:07 AM
Jak Im down with but only at something like 4/75M or less. He can tell teams 4/80 all he wants but there’s not many teams that can or will pay him that. Spurs can get a good player and spend big if it’s a good value.
75/4 is about 19M per year whereas 80/4 is 20M per year, that's 1M a year difference,.. If you're fine with one, you're fine with the other.

DPG21920
Trades are where its at this off season IMO

DPG21920
That's 75/4 is about 19M per year, whereas 80/4 is 20M per year... that's a 1M difference, if you're fine with one, you're fine with the other.

Correct. Would 4/80 be end of the world? Of course not. But there’s value and there’s not even if small.

Ariel
06-30-2023, 11:09 AM
Correct. Would 4/80 be end of the world? Of course not. But there’s value and there’s not even if small.
That's not my point, you can think that's too much... but you can't say 19M per year is fine but 20M isn't, that's chump change in NBA terms.

DPG21920
06-30-2023, 11:17 AM
That's not my point, you can think that's too much... but you can't say 19M per year is fine but 20M isn't, that's chump change in NBA terms.

Lmao did you read what I wrote? I quite literally agreed with your point that you can’t say 19 is good but 20M isn’t…

Ariel
06-30-2023, 11:20 AM
Lmao did you read what I wrote? I quite literally agreed with your point that you can’t say 19 is good but 20M isn’t…
I took "But there’s value and there’s not even if small" to mean something else, but we're in agreement then.

Teamduncan21
06-30-2023, 11:45 AM

Jak at less than 20M on a declining deal would fit that bill and he could be traded later if need be too. That’s what SA needs to think about. Can use cap space for a bad deal and pick or do what GS did with Russell and sign a good player to be used in trade later too.

It can be 20m but declining.
Say 24 22 18 16

We need to meet floor this year anyway. Does the 5m diff really matter if we really like him?

DPG21920
06-30-2023, 12:06 PM
It can be 20m but declining.
Say 24 22 18 16

We need to meet floor this year anyway. Does the 5m diff really matter if we really like him?

Nope. But there is value territory vs fair territory and the market - so ya, it’s not a big deal for 5M but anything less iMO is entering less risk/value territory and who will pay Jak 20M?

BatManu20
06-30-2023, 12:17 PM
Future Spur Giannis Antetokounmpo* tbh. He and Wemby will create the Twin Towers 2.0.

DPG21920
06-30-2023, 12:23 PM
Again, Im not saying 4/80 is horrendous vs 4/75M…the point was SA doesn’t have to do anything and can simply only do them if they feel its both a solid value + serves a purpose on court too.

They aren’t in a rush, don’t need to force anything or FOMO on players. Look for value/fit all together and if they don’t get it, fine, move on…that’s the overarching point I was making

spurraider21
06-30-2023, 12:32 PM

Vuc getting 3/60 kinda sets that market. 4/80 might be steep

still think BroLo on a big 2 year deal is optimal. im not sure id want Yak back on a huge deal vs getting a more reasonable Plumlee. Wemby will eventually be playing primarily at C anyway, which is why a shorter deal like what BroLo or Plumlee could be had for would make more sense

DPG21920
06-30-2023, 12:37 PM
Vuc getting 3/60 kinda sets that market. 4/80 might be steep

still think BroLo on a big 2 year deal is optimal. im not sure id want Yak back on a huge deal vs getting a more reasonable Plumlee. Wemby will eventually be playing primarily at C anyway, which is why a shorter deal like what BroLo or Plumlee could be had for would make more sense

Maybe some for sure…but CHI seemed to be competing against themselves there and not sure Jak gets 20M from any team with cap space…but ya, Reid/Vuc will have some impacts for sure.

Just keep signing Jak and trading him to other teams for picks lol

spurraider21
06-30-2023, 12:37 PM
the FA market is pretty dry as to PG. keep Tre (but not for the 4/40+ stuff we've been hearing), and bring in a combo guard who can handle some PG duties. i would def throw an offer at Reaves and force the Lakers to match, then fall back with J-Rich who has shown he can handle those duties here

rankingtear
06-30-2023, 12:52 PM
Fischer reporting Jakob got an offer bigger than Vuc from TOR. It is down to Reaves or Brook. Zubac is available for trade, LAC apparently prefers Plumlee.

DPG21920
06-30-2023, 01:09 PM
If true then Spurs should be out completely on Jak

Teamduncan21
06-30-2023, 01:11 PM
Nope. But there is value territory vs fair territory and the market - so ya, it’s not a big deal for 5M but anything less iMO is entering less risk/value territory and who will pay Jak 20M?

We are gonna pay random guy the remaining salary just to reach floor anyway. It's not going to be of the right value.
So it really doesn't matter. Unless you see someone else you like more that we could have spent on. There's really no difference

For example. Let's say we pay poeltl 18m instead of 20m. And pay the 2m diff to some random just to meet the floor. It doesn't really make spurs better or worse. But if the 2m diff makes poeltl picks us instead of raptors. Then there's an obvious differemce. Unl SS again you are thinking of someone else that we should have signed instead of him

Mr. Body
06-30-2023, 01:12 PM
Poeltl was always going to resign so long as he knew they wanted to be competitive.

lmbebo
06-30-2023, 01:29 PM
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1674836709232476166?s=20

Clippers wanting to retrain Plumlee and dump Ivan

DesignatedT
06-30-2023, 01:29 PM
Zubac had some toughts on Wemby:

Speaking of young talents, next season, we will see Victor Wembanyama, the French sensation in the NBA, and the hype surrounding the Metropolitans' player has never been higher.

Even Zubac has a certain level of expectation for Wembanyama and cannot wait to see him playing in the league.

"Oh yeah, I mean, you see all these videos and highlights, it's incredible. A guy with that kind of size and mobility, it's really rare to witness something like that," Zubac told BasketNews.

"We probably never saw a player like him so far. He's probably gonna be the No. 1 pick and will be coached by one of the best coaches ever, Gregg Popovich. He's gonna play a lot of minutes for a great organization like the Spurs. I definitely have high expectations for him, but I believe he's gonna be in a perfect position to develop and show that he can be one of the best players," Zubac added.

Ariel
06-30-2023, 01:33 PM
Zubac is making about 11 per year, with 2 years left. I'd take him if the Clippers want to dump him. Serves the purpose.

rankingtear
06-30-2023, 01:37 PM
Playoff tested youngish guys like Reaves and Zubac is a good start to Wemby era.

Kurik
06-30-2023, 01:39 PM
I’d gladly take Zubac, it would also help facilitate the extra drama I want to see in LA.

Mr. Body
06-30-2023, 01:39 PM
I'd change my mind about longer contracts to get Zubac. Very underrated.

spurraider21
06-30-2023, 01:40 PM
not crazy about zubac. like, he's solid. but not much of a passer, doesnt have good hands. hes like a worse steven adams who can fit a FT

DAF86
06-30-2023, 01:51 PM
Plumlee, number one? In which universe is surrounding Wemby with as many non-shooters as possible a sound strategy?

I really hope this info isn't coming from inside the Spurs' organization because it would mean they are heading into this process with their plans all fucked up.

mo7888
06-30-2023, 01:51 PM
I like Zubac on this team better than Plumlee... I like Jak better than both but if we're getting over $20M annually, I'd rather get Zubac.

spurraider21
06-30-2023, 01:58 PM
at their expected costs, id say Plumlee > Jak > Zubac tbh

zubac is a big oaf. which has its usefulness, but dont care for his feel, touch, passing, etc

LittleCriminal
06-30-2023, 02:00 PM
Trade from Chet Holmgren!!

spurraider21
06-30-2023, 02:01 PM
Trade from Chet Holmgren!!
nah we have to see Wemby vs Holmgren matchups

like two giraffes swinging their necks at each other

JPB
06-30-2023, 02:02 PM
Fischer reporting Jakob got an offer bigger than Vuc from TOR. It is down to Reaves or Brook. Zubac is available for trade, LAC apparently prefers Plumlee.

Overpaying not to look ridiculous tbh.

Kurik
06-30-2023, 02:41 PM
Plumlee, number one? In which universe is surrounding Wemby with as many non-shooters as possible a sound strategy?

I really hope this info isn't coming from inside the Spurs' organization because it would mean they are heading into this process with their plans all fucked up.

A lot of what we’ve heard through rumor and articles is the Spurs want to get a big to take the blows down low for Wemby. I imagine this lets Wemby roam a bit on defense and be the weak side defender. It may screw up some thing offensively but doesn’t seem like a surprise to most.

DPG21920
06-30-2023, 02:55 PM
We are gonna pay random guy the remaining salary just to reach floor anyway. It's not going to be of the right value.
So it really doesn't matter. Unless you see someone else you like more that we could have spent on. There's really no difference

For example. Let's say we pay poeltl 18m instead of 20m. And pay the 2m diff to some random just to meet the floor. It doesn't really make spurs better or worse. But if the 2m diff makes poeltl picks us instead of raptors. Then there's an obvious differemce. Unl SS again you are thinking of someone else that we should have signed instead of him

That’s all true…from spurs perspective

I’m talking about Trade value to other teams down the road. But it’s moot - point is getting lost in the specifics here and he’s looking like he’s staying for 20m in TOR

DAF86
06-30-2023, 02:56 PM
A lot of what we’ve heard through rumor and articles is the Spurs want to get a big to take the blows down low for Wemby. I imagine this lets Wemby roam a bit on defense and be the weak side defender. It may screw up some thing offensively but doesn’t seem like a surprise to most.

Fine, let Collins be that guy on defense while providing spacing on offense.

DesignatedT
06-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Collins has played 100 games in 3 years. What makes you think he can play 82 plus playoffs all of a sudden?

DAF86
06-30-2023, 03:01 PM
Collins has played 100 games in 3 years. What makes you think he can play 82 plus playoffs all of a sudden?

What makes you think we are making the playoffs? We sure as fuck ain't making it with Wemby and 4 more guys that can't shoot past 10 feet, tbh. :lol

DesignatedT
06-30-2023, 03:01 PM
Okay. What makes you think he can make it through 82 games and no playoffs.

Russ
06-30-2023, 03:02 PM
Fine, let Collins be that guy on defense while providing spacing on offense.

:toast

DAF86
06-30-2023, 03:07 PM
Okay. What makes you think he can make it through 82 games and no playoffs.

He doesn't need to, tbh.

timvp
06-30-2023, 03:08 PM

Who you want other than Micic? I lost track.

DAF86
06-30-2023, 03:09 PM
Tre Jones, Vassell, Sochan, Wemby, Plumlee. Spurstalk's projected playoffs' team for next season. :lol

DAF86
06-30-2023, 03:10 PM

Nobody really. This class sucks ass, tbh. Just rent cap space and punt it for next year, tbh.

KobesAchilles
06-30-2023, 03:10 PM
Poeltl makes zero sense basketball wise. He should be nowhere near our radar. We would literally only have Devin as our 3 point threat if we sign him. And Collins frees up the paint for everybody on offense and Victor is a better defender than Poeltl so we don’t even need his defense.

I repeat, there are zero basketball reasons why we should sign Poeltl

slick'81
06-30-2023, 03:11 PM
Spurs arent going after poodle power

slick'81
06-30-2023, 03:12 PM
Tre Jones, Vassell, Sochan, Wemby, Plumlee. Spurstalk's projected playoffs' team for next season. :lol

dont forget josh richardson

Ariel
06-30-2023, 03:14 PM
Nobody really. This class sucks ass, tbh. Just rent cap space and punt it for next year, tbh.
20M in cap space just went for 2 second round picks. We have like 18 2nd round picks (lost count, but if not that it's damn near) until '30, adding 2 more doesn't sound like the smartest plan in my book.

spurraider21
06-30-2023, 03:15 PM
probably bertans

Extra Stout
06-30-2023, 03:16 PM
They’re all working hard to improve, so that’s worth 18-20 wins.

DAF86
06-30-2023, 03:18 PM
probably bertans

Would make a lot more sense to add Bertans over Plumlee, tbh. A whole entire level of more sense. Even if he doesn't even play. At least we would be getting something out of that move.

DAF86
06-30-2023, 03:19 PM
Shooting, this teams needs SHOOTING. Simple as that.

timvp
06-30-2023, 03:27 PM
Nobody
Oh.

DAF86
06-30-2023, 03:30 PM
Oh.

How many of the guys proposed here do you expect the Spurs to sign?

timvp
06-30-2023, 04:55 PM
Thanks timvp

i'm surprised to don't see Jaxson Hayes in a 50 fa list

Hayes was on the list initially but then a Google search reminded me about all the baggage he'd bring. He's done an impressive array of dumb things.

John B
06-30-2023, 05:17 PM
Thanks Timvp. I don’t really see Collins coming off the bench, so anything in the Starting Center position, I doubt the Spurs would sign. The Spurs however need a Starting PG. I like to wait on Wesley/Branham what they’ve worked on this Summer. So I really think the Spurs would roll with the same guys, try to bring back Tre, Barlow and even KBD. If ever, it will be an under the radar signing. I’m hoping for a Darius Garland or another potential All-Star PG (preferably young) to pair with Wemby, who would be available for future multiple picks. I would be disappointed if it’s Austin Reaves though.

Russ
06-30-2023, 05:28 PM
Hayes was on the list initially but then a Google search reminded me about all the baggage he'd bring. He's done an impressive array of dumb things.

I'd still keep the possibilities open. Potential is there. Buy low.

timvp
06-30-2023, 06:55 PM
For the past year, his camp has been telling anyone who will listen that the bidding for Poeltl starts at four years and $80 million.

I'm still impressed by how Poeltl's camp held firm and got exactly what he wanted. It sounded like the Raptors were only going to offer three years but he got the whole enchilada.

Kurik
06-30-2023, 06:58 PM
At least the Raptors pick should definitely convey.