PDA

View Full Version : Europe: ESPN fires JVG, Rose and Kellerman

lefty
06-30-2023, 11:41 AM
They should have included Jackson but whatever

rjv
06-30-2023, 11:44 AM
TNT is the gold standard anyway. sucks about van gundy but lol at Max and Keyshawn.

Darth_Pelican
06-30-2023, 11:45 AM
:lol If they keep Kendrick Perkins

rjv
06-30-2023, 11:48 AM

they opened up the vault for McAfee so they just might.

lebomb
06-30-2023, 11:49 AM
TNT is the gold standard anyway.

Exactly!!! Sometimes I would watch halftime to see these guys and not even the game if I wasn't interested in the teams. Not only were they knowledgeable about the NBA, but they made if fun and exciting to watch .

lefty
06-30-2023, 11:49 AM

https://twitter.com/uber_blogger/status/1674821622631477249

lefty
06-30-2023, 11:51 AM
Exactly!!! Sometimes I would watch halftime to see these guys and not even the game if I wasn't interested in the teams. Not only were they knowledgeable about the NBA, but they made if fun and exciting to watch .

I wouldn’t call them knowledgeable but they are entertaining for sure

baseline bum
06-30-2023, 11:54 AM
Fuck, right as the NBA gets interesting again we're going to get stuck with Mark Jackson as the main color commentator

lefty
06-30-2023, 11:58 AM
Fuck, right as the NBA gets interesting again we're going to get stuck with Mark Jackson as the main color commentator
yep fuck him tbh

JVG is a good analyst and he’s funny, but he talks too much.
Ffs , let Mike Breen call the game.
I wouldn’t mind seeing him with the TNT crew, but not during games, just with Inside the NBA.

rjv
06-30-2023, 12:12 PM
pair the van gundy brothers, just for kicks.

lefty
06-30-2023, 12:23 PM
pair the van gundy brothers, just for kicks.
good idea tbh

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2023, 03:03 PM
JVG is really one of the only ESPN guys I like. Lol at Kellerman and Rose. Had they axed Rose, Kellerman and Perkins it would have been a solid firing. As it is...meh.

Millennial_Messiah
06-30-2023, 04:14 PM
yep fuck him tbh

JVG is a good analyst and he’s funny, but he talks too much.
Ffs , let Mike Breen call the game.
I wouldn’t mind seeing him with the TNT crew, but not during games, just with Inside the NBA.

JVG at TNT was actually very good as a tertiary color commentator when paired with Mike Fratello back in the day at color and Marv Albert/Kevin Harlan at play-by-play. Obviously Albert and likely Fratello aren't coming back.

Mark Jackson sucks and ESPN's presentation has sucked ever since around 2006 when Mike Breen was promoted to the number 1 play-by-play spot and ESPN/ABC have done literally EVERY FUCKING NBA FINALS since and including 2006. Always felt like Mike Tirico deserved the "A" spot over Breen when Tirico was at ESPN. The best was Brad Nessler but apparently he didn't really like doing basketball even though he was good at it. He only did it one year (2003). Al Michaels was good but probably a victim of his own success. Breen was better off as a 3rd or 4th stringer for TNT paired with guys like Dan Majerle back when TNT had that stacked lineup in the early 2000s.

Also ESPN has never really had good color commentary replacements since Bill Walton and Tom Tolbert stopped doing "A" team color at games. Sort of how Fox NFL never replaced their "A" team properly. Also, Mike Tirico in 2015 was a huge loss because he was a huge multi-sport asset for ESPN for so many years and took a lesser role at NBC to just do football and pretty much lead the "B" cast for 7 years all the way until Michaels left last year.

But I guess that's just a relic of society in general... life was pretty much perfect in the early and mid 2000s. Everything in general started going downhill around 2006. Basketball, politics, video games (Especially sports video games), fun, digitalization, society as a whole.

Millennial_Messiah
06-30-2023, 04:17 PM

Feel like TNT and ABC/ESPN should alternate NBA Finals years sort of like football, but TNT's color commentary hasn't really been good since guys like Mike Fratello and JVG left (never was a big fan of Kerr, Reggie Miller, or Chris Webber at color)... the one year in 2014 that TNT picked up one of the GOATs in Joel Meyers was really good. Obviously Marv Albert will be forever tough to replace.

I still think Joel Meyers is one of the best in the business and his career has been largely wasted in crappy local markets like New Orleans. He should be national.

lefty
06-30-2023, 04:31 PM
JVG at TNT was actually very good as a tertiary color commentator when paired with Mike Fratello back in the day at color and Marv Albert/Kevin Harlan at play-by-play. Obviously Albert and likely Fratello aren't coming back.

Mark Jackson sucks and ESPN's presentation has sucked ever since around 2006 when Mike Breen was promoted to the number 1 play-by-play spot and ESPN/ABC have done literally EVERY FUCKING NBA FINALS since and including 2006. Always felt like Mike Tirico deserved the "A" spot over Breen when Tirico was at ESPN. The best was Brad Nessler but apparently he didn't really like doing basketball even though he was good at it. He only did it one year (2003). Al Michaels was good but probably a victim of his own success. Breen was better off as a 3rd or 4th stringer for TNT paired with guys like Dan Majerle back when TNT had that stacked lineup in the early 2000s.

Also ESPN has never really had good color commentary replacements since Bill Walton and Tom Tolbert stopped doing "A" team color at games. Sort of how Fox NFL never replaced their "A" team properly. Also, Mike Tirico in 2015 was a huge loss because he was a huge multi-sport asset for ESPN for so many years and took a lesser role at NBC to just do football and pretty much lead the "B" cast for 7 years all the way until Michaels left last year.

But I guess that's just a relic of society in general... life was pretty much perfect in the early and mid 2000s. Everything in general started going downhill around 2006. Basketball, politics, video games (Especially sports video games), fun, digitalization, society as a whole.

The worst part is that TNT will never have the NBA Finals, Disney is way too rich

Millennial_Messiah
06-30-2023, 05:52 PM
The worst part is that TNT will never have the NBA Finals, Disney is way too rich

Yeah unfortunately true. Was hoping Based DeSantis could put a hole in that though and at least make them just another company.

BSPN has been garbage for well over a decade. They were last good like over 15 years ago.

lefty
06-30-2023, 11:21 PM
Joel Meyers has a great voice.

I’m also a big fan of Kevin Calabro, used to be the Sonics (RIP) voice, now Blazers’.

Marv Albert was great but his MJ ball licking was annoying tbh.
Dick Stockton was good.

Miami Heat’s play by play guy isn’t bad either

daslicer
06-30-2023, 11:40 PM
TNT is the gold standard anyway. sucks about van gundy but lol at Max and Keyshawn.

More like Barkley is the gold standard. Take him away from TNT and it also becomes garbage. The moment Barkley is gone is the moment I will not tune in to TNT's halftime, pregame, and post-game show.

lebomb
07-01-2023, 12:03 AM
More like Barkley is the gold standard. Take him away from TNT and it also becomes garbage. The moment Barkley is gone is the moment I will not tune in to TNT's halftime, pregame, and post-game show.

I disagree. I think it’s a good mix. Shaq and Barkley playoff each other and are hilarious. Ernie is the one that keeps it all together and Kenny plays off shack, Charles and Ernie. The entire team is good to go in my humble opinion.

Tyronn Lue
07-01-2023, 12:16 AM
Who is that newish screaming white guy who talks with SAS? It's all caricatures now. They took the TNT crew and tried to duplicate it but putting dumb folks on TV doesn't duplicate Barkley.

Chris Fall
07-01-2023, 08:20 AM
I thought TNT was better before Shaq. He tries too hard to be both smarter than Kenny and funnier than Charles. And he's neither. And Kenny's not even basketball smart. Kenny makes up shit and misuses words, makes up words that sound like real words but aren't. I agree that without Charles, the show isn't any good. It's not that great anymore anyway. The production quality is still good tho.

ElNono
07-01-2023, 06:25 PM
With affirmative action coming to an end, it was only a matter of time until Jalen Rose would be unemployed, tbh...

Trainwreck2100
07-01-2023, 06:58 PM
I thought TNT was better before Shaq. He tries too hard to be both smarter than Kenny and funnier than Charles. And he's neither. And Kenny's not even basketball smart. Kenny makes up shit and misuses words, makes up words that sound like real words but aren't. I agree that without Charles, the show isn't any good. It's not that great anymore anyway. The production quality is still good tho.

early shaq was bad when he couldn't take a joke but he found his rhythm spun that off into his character and it works now that he can laugh at himself, but his character on the show is nothing without chuck as shown by his tuesday night gig with tnt's b team. Which is just about as bad as anything espn would put on. TNT's fucked without chuck and they know it which is why he got the bag. Inside is basically 4 characters one guy who thinks he's always right, one guy who's full of shit, one guy who is just there to get paid, and ernie, and it works because none of them give a fuck, except for ernie. Their appearance of a lack of any kind of production is why it works, and over producing is why espn is shit.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2023, 08:46 PM
lol so its the males getting fired, whattabout the female who sits in the middle who offers no insight into the game?

daslicer
07-01-2023, 10:39 PM
I disagree. I think it’s a good mix. Shaq and Barkley playoff each other and are hilarious. Ernie is the one that keeps it all together and Kenny plays off shack, Charles and Ernie. The entire team is good to go in my humble opinion.

Once Barkley goes none of them will be worth watching without him. It's like taking Michael Jackson out of the Jackson 5.

FkLA
07-01-2023, 11:18 PM

I hate that stupid motherfucker. Speaks like an uneducated idiot. Tweets like an illiterate retard.

He basically has a job there because he's black and loud, tbh.

GAustex
07-01-2023, 11:49 PM
Jalen Rose is really bad. Should never had made it to day two.

FrostKing
07-02-2023, 01:46 AM
I think some of this is salary based. Keeping one over the other isn't just about quality. Nothing wrong with ESPN bringing in cheaper but quality young talent, if that's the case.

Unfortunately they made a shift over the past 10 years where they cut established journalist and rewarded major names (shock jocks) and just had them talk every topic (even off the field).

superbigtime
07-02-2023, 08:59 AM
Hope dismiss dummy Kendrick and keep eloquent Vince Carter.

JVG is a clown. Mark Jackson is staying??

Please get rid of Jay Williams and Woody.

Tyronn Lue
07-02-2023, 10:03 AM
lol so its the males getting fired, whattabout the female who sits in the middle who offers no insight into the game?
"Get three fly honeys, who cares what them is talking about, let them mention the NBA. People watch that, innit." Ali G

Killakobe81
07-02-2023, 09:28 PM
Jalen Rose is really bad. Should never had made it to day two.

Perk Keyshawn are considerably worse
Vince was vanilla
RJ is the Carlton to Jalen’s Fresh prince … neither is good though

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 09:42 PM
Perk Keyshawn are considerably worse
Vince was vanilla
RJ is the Carlton to Jalen’s Fresh prince … neither is good though

Agree. I like Jalen because he didn't lose it when Nick Van Exel was pelting him with towels.

Tyronn Lue
07-03-2023, 12:26 PM
Fxc5X-fHdRw

Uncanny coincidence.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 02:14 PM
JVG was great tbh

lefty
07-03-2023, 02:49 PM
JVG was great tbh
Good analyst and funny
But he talks too much

baseline bum
07-03-2023, 02:54 PM
JVG was great tbh

Walton's still the greatest though. Used to love watching Clipper games just to hear him trash Olowokandi nonstop and then when the Corona The Official Beer of the Timeout ad spot came on in the fourth quarter he'd talk about how bad he needed one to forget how much of a disgrace Olowokandi and the rest of the team was.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 02:58 PM
Walton's still the greatest though. Used to love watching Clipper games just to hear him trash Olowokandi nonstop and then when the Corona The Official Beer of the Timeout ad spot came on in the fourth quarter he'd talk about how bad he needed one to forget how much of a disgrace Olowokandi and the rest of the team was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkrccHEAqg

lefty
07-03-2023, 03:48 PM
:lol

Rummpd
07-03-2023, 03:58 PM
JVG had talent but was obnoxious the other two no talent and obnoxious

JVG will land on feet. Other two?

FrostKing
07-03-2023, 06:06 PM
https://i.ibb.co/mhfwNgj/636297019498341384-sportsreporters-127.webp

Sunday Mornings. Bring back the Sports Reporters.

Seventyniner
07-04-2023, 03:05 PM
My favorite Walton bit was a late season Clippers game when he said "The Clippers are surrrrrging towards the playoffs!" The other guy said "Bill, the Clippers were mathematically eliminated weeks ago." and Walton immediately came back with "What about an at-large bid?" without missing a beat.

I wish I could find a video of it. I couldn't stop laughing when I heard it the first time and I still chuckle a bit every time I think about it.

resistanze
07-08-2023, 04:50 AM
Keeping Jay Williams and KP :lol

ElNono
07-08-2023, 09:11 AM
https://i.ibb.co/mhfwNgj/636297019498341384-sportsreporters-127.webp

Sunday Mornings. Bring back the Sports Reporters.

Wow, they even had the token black guy then...

Obstructed_View
07-11-2023, 02:33 PM
Wow, they even had the token black guy then...
Nah, he was consistently excellent at running that show. Wasn't until Rhoden came along and race-baited on every issue that they jumped the shark.

FrostKing
07-11-2023, 04:37 PM
Nah, he was consistently excellent at running that show. Wasn't until Rhoden came along and race-baited on every issue that they jumped the shark.
I had to Google the name but that's exactly the face I had in mind after reading your post. :lol

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2023, 06:49 PM
I hate that stupid motherfucker. Speaks like an uneducated idiot. Tweets like an illiterate retard.

Affirmative action hire, tbh. Just like Ketanji Brown Jackson, Hakeem Jeffries, Obama, Biden (first president elected for the first time who is mentally handicapped), Fetterman (he was certainly born in Mordor, right?!), etc

Arcadian
07-11-2023, 07:07 PM
Why?

daslicer
07-11-2023, 11:47 PM

The same could be applied to Stephen A.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2023, 10:53 AM

They don't call him Screamin A for nothing. I miss Stuart Scott and Kenny Mayne. Frankly, I miss when ESPN was about news and less about opinions.

daslicer
07-12-2023, 11:06 AM
They don't call him Screamin A for nothing. I miss Stuart Scott and Kenny Mayne. Frankly, I miss when ESPN was about news and less about opinions.

I talked about Stuart Scott a few days ago with a friend of mine when reminiscing how ESPN used to employ professionals and not carnival barkers. I would also take David Aldridge over the trash they have now.

lefty
07-12-2023, 12:51 PM
Dan Patrick saw it coming

Obstructed_View
07-12-2023, 01:20 PM
I talked about Stuart Scott a few days ago with a friend of mine when reminiscing how ESPN used to employ professionals and not carnival barkers. I would also take David Aldridge over the trash they have now.
I love David Aldridge. He's quite a bit more nerdy and weird since he left ESPN, which is awesome.

Tyronn Lue
07-12-2023, 01:24 PM
Same for most media outlets. Remember when the op ed was a side piece?

spurraider21
07-12-2023, 02:30 PM
TV news is dead because of the internet, its all opinion/personalities now

why watch ESPN for news, wait through commercials, wait for the right segment of the 30-60 minutes show to hear about one player that you could just look up online? why watch sportscenter for game summaries if you can just pull them up on youtube at your convenience?

FkLA
07-12-2023, 10:00 PM

Stephen A has a journalism degree and was once upon a time a legitimate journalist. He speaks eloquently. I agree, that his Screamin A persona is what made him ESPNs highest paid public personality but he doesn't come across as a dumbass to me.

Perk straight up does come across as a dumbass. The way he speaks, the way he types. Pisses me off every time I see him on TV/twitter...just can't believe someone so undeserving could hold such a sought after job. And all because he's black and loud smh.

FrostKing
07-12-2023, 10:08 PM
Daytime programming even on Fox is heavy on NBA/NFL. I don't have an issue with this but recognize the audience.

My frustration with ESPN is it's A
A) No longer the world wide leader in sports. It is bias towards it's own programming and this started with WNBA
B) About 10 years ago+, with the success of PTI, they cut a bunch of their journalist and now have individuals outside their lane. Why is player from Sport X commenting on Sport Y

It just feels like immature hour now. But maybe they foresaw the changing fan and how most people go directly to the outlet for news - their team page.

lefty
07-13-2023, 01:57 PM
Daytime programming even on Fox is heavy on NBA/NFL. I don't have an issue with this but recognize the audience.

My frustration with ESPN is it's A
A) No longer the world wide leader in sports. It is bias towards it's own programming and this started with WNBA
B) About 10 years ago+, with the success of PTI, they cut a bunch of their journalist and now have individuals outside their lane. Why is player from Sport X commenting on Sport Y

It just feels like immature hour now. But maybe they foresaw the changing fan and how most people go directly to the outlet for news - their team page.
It was never the worldwide leader in sports :lol

lefty
07-13-2023, 02:00 PM
Stephen A has a journalism degree and was once upon a time a legitimate journalist. He speaks eloquently. I agree, that his Screamin A persona is what made him ESPNs highest paid public personality but he doesn't come across as a dumbass to me.

Perk straight up does come across as a dumbass. The way he speaks, the way he types. Pisses me off every time I see him on TV/twitter...just can't believe someone so undeserving could hold such a sought after job. And all because he's black and loud smh.

Agreed, Stephen A and Skip play characters on TV/social media
Stephen A was once on the Matt Barnes podcast and it was a good episode

Heck I'm pretty Magic is playing Captain Obvious on purpose on Twitter
Not suire if he is going senile or not but his post game interviews as a player or his takes when he was on NBC weren't too bad tbh

callo1
07-13-2023, 02:14 PM
Rose was garbage, Kellerman wasn't anything special at all, but JVG made that broadcast team very solid.

Unbelievable that a total turds like Perkins and SAS still have jobs...both unprofessional morons with garbage takes.

lefty
07-13-2023, 02:48 PM
Rose was garbage, Kellerman wasn't anything special at all, but JVG made that broadcast team very solid.

Unbelievable that a total turds like Perkins and SAS still have jobs...both unprofessional morons with garbage takes.
JVG is good but he talks way too much

Chucho
07-14-2023, 10:50 AM
I thought there'd be some value in Kellerman staying around since he's covered a few sports in his lifetime and was one of the best boxing commentators going.

I wish I had the money to hire Jalen Rose so I could fire him again. That dude was, is and always will be awful.

Tyronn Lue
07-15-2023, 10:34 AM

Being an ex NBAer helps

TD 21
07-15-2023, 03:14 PM
:lmao Never fails. Every black analyst supposedly sucks (but it never has to do with race, of course) and most white analysts are supposedly astute.

Van Gundy incessantly nags about virtually everything, has archaic views and boils it down to who has more perceived talent (while simultaneously defending coaches at every turn), yet somehow he's deified.

FkLA
07-15-2023, 08:16 PM
:lmao Never fails. Every black analyst supposedly sucks (but it never has to do with race, of course) and most white analysts are supposedly astute.

Perkins doesn't suck?

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 09:10 PM
I missed the part where somebody said all the black analysts suck.:rolleyes

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 09:12 PM
I thought there'd be some value in Kellerman staying around since he's covered a few sports in his lifetime and was one of the best boxing commentators going.

I wish I had the money to hire Jalen Rose so I could fire him again. That dude was, is and always will be awful.
He really knows boxing. He was the original host of Around the Horn, but he just doesn't know much about other sports, and it shows. Amazed he lasted this long since ESPN doesn't do boxing.

TD 21
07-15-2023, 10:52 PM
Perkins doesn't suck?

I didn't single out individuals.

I missed the part where somebody said all the black analysts suck.:rolleyes

Not in a literal sense.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 11:40 PM
Not in a literal sense.
So not at all, then.

GAustex
07-15-2023, 11:43 PM
Rose should not have made it past one day.

RC_Drunkford
07-16-2023, 05:02 AM
who cares, we got Killa Cam and Murda Ma$e now. Y'all not hip yet

TD 21
07-16-2023, 09:58 AM
So not at all, then.

It's called a figure of speech, but keep playing semantic games to attempt to distract from the topic at hand.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2023, 10:24 AM
It's called a figure of speech, but keep playing semantic games to attempt to distract from the topic at hand.
It's called race baiting, it's pathetic, and it literally has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

TD 21
07-16-2023, 10:28 AM
It's called race baiting, it's pathetic, and it literally has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Nah, it's called old white guy whose uncomfortable with race being brought up and would rather be ignorant to it than acknowledge how pervasive it is.

As I said, it's not about an individual or this thread. Virtually every black analyst, commentator, coach, executive, etc. either supposedly sucks or is an idiot, yet it's allegedly never about race.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2023, 10:48 AM
Nah, it's called old white guy whose uncomfortable with race being brought up and would rather be ignorant to it than acknowledge how pervasive it is.

As I said, it's not about an individual or this thread. Virtually every black analyst, commentator, coach, executive, etc. either supposedly sucks or is an idiot, yet it's allegedly never about race.
Nope. Literal race baiting. You can't come up with a single example of racism in this thread because there isn't one, which you acknowledge, yet you cling to your position because muh rasism and then try to assume my race for calling you out.

The only thing pervasive is ignorance. You got more than your share. Plonk.

Tyronn Lue
07-16-2023, 10:50 AM
The bulk of white commentators aren't former players. Ernie Johnson didn't play, he's put there to pretend to arbitrate between black former players who are known for their controversial opinions and personalities. This is how the model works, a seemingly neutral, well spoken (heh) person arbitrates and offers a softball debate so one of the over-the-top ex NBAer personalities can knock it out of the park and generate views. It doesn't matter if the commentator is good or not, since it's never really about the sport.

TD 21
07-16-2023, 10:52 AM
Nope. Literal race baiting. You can't come up with a single example of racism in this thread because there isn't one, which you acknowledge, yet you cling to your position because muh rasism and then try to assume my race for calling you out.

The only thing pervasive is ignorance. You got more than your share. Plonk.

FrostKing
07-16-2023, 12:47 PM
The bulk of white commentators aren't former players. Ernie Johnson didn't play, he's put there to pretend to arbitrate between black former players who are known for their controversial opinions and personalities. This is how the model works, a seemingly neutral, well spoken (heh) person arbitrates and offers a softball debate so one of the over-the-top ex NBAer personalities can knock it out of the park and generate views. It doesn't matter if the commentator is good or not, since it's never really about the sport.
This is the root of the debate here. But it is changing.

Historically black analyst were all former players and typically stars

The whites were coaches or journalist. More articulate

But it has shifted and is more even now.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2023, 08:20 PM
Rose should not have made it past one day.
Jalen worked hard to get better. He was not great when he started doing sideline reports for TNT, but he kept at it and took it seriously. His ability to provide opinions is probably why he was let go, but he's worked himself into a good broadcaster.

GAustex
07-17-2023, 12:39 AM
Jalen worked hard to get better. He was not great when he started doing sideline reports for TNT, but he kept at it and took it seriously. His ability to provide opinions is probably why he was let go, but he's worked himself into a good broadcaster.

Well I suppose you and I disagree on Rose.

Ef-man
07-17-2023, 12:52 AM
Yes, JVG sucks with his shit commentary and deserved to be fired.

I have no idea what Troy (Too Many Concussions) Aikman is doing in the broadcast booth as he rambles and sucks big time.

Obstructed_View
07-17-2023, 06:32 AM
Well I suppose you and I disagree on Rose.
Maybe not. I was just crediting his improvement.

callo1
07-25-2023, 02:27 PM

Van Gundy incessantly nags about virtually everything, has archaic views and boils it down to who has more perceived talent (while simultaneously defending coaches at every turn), yet somehow he's deified.

:lmao Never fails, can't have a simple conversation without somebody turning it into an issue of race...unbelievable...dude, the sample size was tiny...Rose, SAS, JVG, Perkins, and Kellerman. You got race out of that?? Put the card back in the deck. The color of ones skin does not make them immune to scrutiny. Way to go with the pathetic attempt to hijack the conversation with what you thought was a powerplay.

Stuart Scott was excellent, as is David Aldridge and (I admit my bias here), but I enjoy Sam Acho.

So you are telling me that you would put Rose, Perkins, or SAS on the level of those men?

TD 21
07-25-2023, 03:47 PM
:lmao Never fails, can't have a simple conversation without somebody turning it into an issue of race...unbelievable...dude, the sample size was tiny...Rose, SAS, JVG, Perkins, and Kellerman. You got race out of that?? Put the card back in the deck. The color of ones skin does not make them immune to scrutiny. Way to go with the pathetic attempt to hijack the conversation with what you thought was a powerplay.

Stuart Scott was excellent, as is David Aldridge and (I admit my bias here), but I enjoy Sam Acho.

So you are telling me that you would put Rose, Perkins, or SAS on the level of those men?

:lmao At whitey and whitewashed types alike getting their back up every time their bias and ignorance is mentioned.

As I said, it's more a general thing. Anytime I see broadcasters and analysts alike discussed, the black ones (primarily ones from the inner city) are universally criticized, yet somehow it's never about race.

Rose is articulate and more knowledgeable than most of the fools on TV, but all you see is a 6'8'' former player from the hood and the stereotypes associated with that.

callo1
07-25-2023, 07:03 PM
:lmao At whitey and whitewashed types alike getting their back up every time their bias and ignorance is mentioned.

As I said, it's more a general thing. Anytime I see broadcasters and analysts alike discussed, the black ones (primarily ones from the inner city) are universally criticized, yet somehow it's never about race.

Rose is articulate and more knowledgeable than most of the fools on TV, but all you see is a 6'8'' former player from the hood and the stereotypes associated with that.

When you have no real argument just resort to racist name calling I see. Funny how you want to call other people racist, yet you are the only one tossing around racial slurs.

I don't look up where a person lives or where they are from to decide if I like the job somebody does, nor to I take into account a persons race...it is called having an opinion. If you like Rose so much congrats to you, you have the right to your opinion as well.

Don't be a snowflake.

TD 21
07-25-2023, 10:29 PM
When you have no real argument just resort to racist name calling I see. Funny how you want to call other people racist, yet you are the only one tossing around racial slurs.

I don't look up where a person lives or where they are from to decide if I like the job somebody does, nor to I take into account a persons race...it is called having an opinion. If you like Rose so much congrats to you, you have the right to your opinion as well.

Don't be a snowflake.

There's no "racial slurs" in that and I believe a lot of this is subconscious. You're (not literally, but universally) programmed to believe someone like Rose is an uneducated idiot from the jump, therefore you end up throwing him in the pile with the others without a second thought.

I'm not necessarily a fan, I just don't see otherwise why he'd be lumped in with an agenda driven fool like Perkins.

FkLA
07-25-2023, 10:41 PM
There's no "racial slurs" in that and I believe a lot of this is subconscious. You're (not literally, but universally) programmed to believe someone like Rose is an uneducated idiot from the jump, therefore you end up throwing him in the pile with the others without a second thought.

I'm not necessarily a fan, I just don't see otherwise why he'd be lumped in with an agenda driven fool like Perkins.

You call him a fool but used my post about Perkins as an example of racism in this thread?

TD 21
07-25-2023, 10:55 PM
You call him a fool but used my post about Perkins as an example of racism in this thread?

What you said it different and he's also an individual. Again, I'm speaking more in general.

JamStone
07-26-2023, 08:52 AM
Jalen was not good, but far from terrible imo. That’s why guys like Charles are goldmines. It’s hard to be all of the things in a great analyst, smart, funny, opinionated, and entertaining. And when you lack in some of those, the entertainment value has to carry those things you lack. I think both Kenny and Shaq are terrible and it would show exponentially without Charles. I thought Jalen was actually pretty good in Jalen & Jacoby, in a much more opinion-mostly podcast format, where he didn’t necessarily have to mix in factual and/or statistical stuff into his opinions, isn’t constrained to basketball only takes, while still trying to integrate his 90s hip hop and R&B references into his dialogue with Jacoby.

Jalen did improve greatly over time, but he still lacked a certain charismatic, relatable draw to general basketball fans. That said, you fire him and lean on a guy like Kendrick Perkins to take his place, it’s obvious that it’s not about whether Jalen was good or bad. It feels more like cost-cutting move. Perkins is gawd awful.

When it comes to the race thing, idk. Not so much race, and more about how difficult it is to find the right analysts who really click with people, black, white, brown, or green. For me, it just seems really hard to find guys (especially former players) who can really deliver it all. I think you see it with TBS and their MLB playoff coverage, as they’ve tried to find a similar energy to TNT NBA crew, and it just hasn’t clicked. I think guys like Grant Hill and Steve Smith actually bring pretty good basketball knowledge, but they have zero likable personality on the mic. A guy like Mark Jackson is more entertaining because you laugh at him and the shit he says, but he’s a terrible analyst. Finding a guy who can bring great basketball takes and still be entertaining, there haven’t been a lot going back decades. JJ Redick has a chance to pretty good. I like his takes, his charisma, and the way he forms opinions and argues and backs them up. But he also feels like a guy most people could likely get sick of pretty quickly, similar to Romo.

Thread
07-27-2023, 09:37 AM

Perkins, that SOB. Him & Powe terrorized us in the '08 Finals. Poor Kobe was terrified. We got the bastard though in the '10 Finals when what's his face (name escapes me) leaned on him and his knee collapsed. It was like a dream come to life. I was so happy. And it was a double whammy for Boston. Without Perkins///Wallace couldn't function properly and subsequently shit the bed. Then, remember, they had to call in LAPD SWAT to haul him out of Staples, still in uniform because he wouldn't stop trying to tear the door down to the officiating locker room. God was with us that time...Fisher had come home outta SLC, without him we'd a lost. He got us straightened around at 13 down 3rd quarter. And then it came into view and Kobe, bless his soul, eschewed his game face and broke for it. I still get choked thinking about those final minutes. And what's his face (name escapes me) wetting his brows and nailing those two FT's.

Good times.

Ice009
07-28-2023, 08:13 AM
But he also feels like a guy most people could likely get sick of pretty quickly, similar to Romo.

Is Romo still commentating? I haven't watched much NFL the past few years.

GAustex
07-31-2023, 04:06 PM
Mark Jackson is gone Doc Rivers and Doris Burke are in
One good move and two bad ones

TD 21
07-31-2023, 05:22 PM
Momma, there goes that man . . . :lmao at all the fools who'll view this as bittersweet because of the trade off.

One black man out, another more outspoken "black" (bi-racial) man in, along with a woman promoted.

Naturally, that means they automatically suck, but it won't have anything to do with that of course.

Meanwhile, the conservatives aka bigots can whine about "diversity hires" and Disney/BSPN being "woke".

Something for everyone.

spurraider21
07-31-2023, 05:26 PM
marc jackson was probably my least favorite broadcaster in recent memory

Trainwreck2100
07-31-2023, 06:59 PM
Jalen was not good, but far from terrible imo. That’s why guys like Charles are goldmines. It’s hard to be all of the things in a great analyst, smart, funny, opinionated, and entertaining. And when you lack in some of those, the entertainment value has to carry those things you lack. I think both Kenny and Shaq are terrible and it would show exponentially without Charles. I thought Jalen was actually pretty good in Jalen & Jacoby, in a much more opinion-mostly podcast format, where he didn’t necessarily have to mix in factual and/or statistical stuff into his opinions, isn’t constrained to basketball only takes, while still trying to integrate his 90s hip hop and R&B references into his dialogue with Jacoby.

Jalen did improve greatly over time, but he still lacked a certain charismatic, relatable draw to general basketball fans. That said, you fire him and lean on a guy like Kendrick Perkins to take his place, it’s obvious that it’s not about whether Jalen was good or bad. It feels more like cost-cutting move. Perkins is gawd awful.

When it comes to the race thing, idk. Not so much race, and more about how difficult it is to find the right analysts who really click with people, black, white, brown, or green. For me, it just seems really hard to find guys (especially former players) who can really deliver it all. I think you see it with TBS and their MLB playoff coverage, as they’ve tried to find a similar energy to TNT NBA crew, and it just hasn’t clicked. I think guys like Grant Hill and Steve Smith actually bring pretty good basketball knowledge, but they have zero likable personality on the mic. A guy like Mark Jackson is more entertaining because you laugh at him and the shit he says, but he’s a terrible analyst. Finding a guy who can bring great basketball takes and still be entertaining, there haven’t been a lot going back decades. JJ Redick has a chance to pretty good. I like his takes, his charisma, and the way he forms opinions and argues and backs them up. But he also feels like a guy most people could likely get sick of pretty quickly, similar to Romo.

The only reason we got tired of Romo is because CBS nerfed him and told him to stop calling plays. Now he's espn level overproduced garbage

callo1
08-01-2023, 07:40 AM
Was certainly not a fan of Jackson's announcing style at the beginning, similar to Bill Walton, but he started to grow on me. I liked the quirky chemistry of JVG, Breen, and Jackson, to me they were the best going...liked to hear JVG and Jackson rib each other. I will that over Kevin Harlan yelling "He's a flamethrower" every time a player makes two threes in a row.

Doris isn't terrible, but she doesn't seem to have that sense of humor that I prefer. I guess that is why I like Shaq, Kenny and Charles so much...they entertain. I can't see Doc and Doris working well together...too businesslike for my taste.

baseline bum
08-01-2023, 08:01 AM
Was certainly not a fan of Jackson's announcing style at the beginning, similar to Bill Walton, but he started to grow on me. I liked the quirky chemistry of JVG, Breen, and Jackson, to me they were the best going...liked to hear JVG and Jackson rib each other. I will that over Kevin Harlan yelling "He's a flamethrower" every time a player makes two threes in a row.

Doris isn't terrible, but she doesn't seem to have that sense of humor that I prefer. I guess that is why I like Shaq, Kenny and Charles so much...they entertain. I can't see Doc and Doris working well together...too businesslike for my taste.

Walton is smart and funny. Mark Jackson is a retard.

lefty
08-01-2023, 08:56 AM
Walton is funny but he did have some awful takes on NBC and ABC :lol

I don't remember how Doc was on ABC (2004) but before that he had some games on TNT and was kinda funny tbh; his voice ws still normal back then though

ambchang
08-01-2023, 10:38 AM
Walton is good in the sense that he knows he is corny as hell and have bad takes, so he runs with it and ribs himself over it.
Jackson is just plain bad.
I think Doc would be good, he does have good basketball knowledge, it just didn't translate to coaching.

Seventyniner
08-01-2023, 11:46 AM
Walton is like that one reliever you only bring in for very specific situations. Works really well as a change of pace but you don't want him as a starter.

baseline bum
08-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Walton is like that one reliever you only bring in for very specific situations. Works really well as a change of pace but you don't want him as a starter.

Disagree. Walton's color commentary made it worth it to watch Clippers games in the 2000s. I would die laughing hearing him continually shit on Olowokandi as lazy and for never adding anything to his game.

baseline bum
08-01-2023, 11:51 AM
The color guy I miss is Tom Tolbert, that guy was funny as shit.

lefty
08-01-2023, 12:14 PM
The color guy I miss is Tom Tolbert, that guy was funny as shit.
lol the sounds he was making when they showed a replay of Shaq easily backing down Robinson in 2003

baseline bum
08-01-2023, 12:24 PM
lol the sounds he was making when they showed a replay of Shaq easily backing down Robinson in 2003

I liked when he said the Spurs were in full arousal mode after Stephen Jackson hit a bunch of threes in like a 19-0 run in the fourth quarter of Game 6 of the 03 Finals.

lefty
08-01-2023, 12:35 PM
I liked when he said the Spurs were in full arousal mode after Stephen Jackson hit a bunch of threes in like a 19-0 run in the fourth quarter of Game 6 of the 03 Finals.

Ah yes the Speedy Claxton game

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-01-2023, 03:40 PM
I always enjoyed Walton, and JVG.

Steve Kerr was actually good as a color commentator as well. Watching old broadcasts his Spurs homerism came through sometimes, you could hear him cheering on the silver and black. Not as obvious as Sean's short lived ESPN run, but if you pay attention you could definitely tell he was a Spur guy.

baseline bum
08-01-2023, 06:49 PM

Ah yes the Speedy Claxton game

Probably more the Tim Duncan since he nearly got a quad double and secondarily the Stephen Jackson game since he started killing NJ with threes in the fourth. Though I guess when I think Stephen Jackson game I probably think more of when he dragged the Spurs back from 13 down in the fourth in Game 6 in Dallas in 03.

lefty
08-01-2023, 10:33 PM
Probably more the Tim Duncan since he nearly got a quad double and secondarily the Stephen Jackson game since he started killing NJ with threes in the fourth. Though I guess when I think Stephen Jackson game I probably think more of when he dragged the Spurs back from 13 down in the fourth in Game 6 in Dallas in 03.
I know, Ii was just an anti-Parker post tbh

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-02-2023, 12:51 AM
JVG love

Tyronn Lue
08-02-2023, 08:48 PM
Mark Jackson is gone Doc Rivers and Doris Burke are in
One good move and two bad ones
Doc doesn't have a broadcasting voice. Pairing him with Doris is going to be almost as awkward as Dennis Miller on MNF.

lefty
08-02-2023, 09:16 PM
Doc doesn't have a broadcasting voice. Pairing him with Doris is going to be almost as awkward as Dennis Miller on MNF.

Doris “What the Spurs have done i. the last 20 years is remarkable, when you think of ev…* 2 HOURS LATER * …all the credit goes to those guys”

Doc “heuarer ruhtel”

callo1
08-03-2023, 01:12 PM

Agreed

Killakobe81
08-05-2023, 05:27 AM

Turrible

FrostKing
08-11-2023, 01:53 AM
https://i.ibb.co/M95r5hq/Screenshot-20230810-235238-Chrome.png

Tyronn Lue
08-11-2023, 04:16 PM
https://i.ibb.co/M95r5hq/Screenshot-20230810-235238-Chrome.png
Momma, here comes that man

lefty
08-28-2023, 10:53 AM

https://twitter.com/JiggyFlavko/status/1696166834741850601

Tyronn Lue
08-29-2023, 12:13 AM
I thought Michael was going to give an altar call and pass the offering plate there for a hot minute.

Killakobe81
08-29-2023, 11:04 AM

https://twitter.com/JiggyFlavko/status/1696166834741850601

I love the playmaker and espn and nfln did him dirty…
But what a shit show …
Yelling and screaming on TV …
3 Cowboys supporters on one show is transparent Desperation pandering for views - and I root for Dallas
And worst of all all the Fox employees like Broussard tweeted what a great debut it was but I saw a train wreck
But it was trending so I guess that is all that matters….