PDA

View Full Version : 2023 NBA Free Agency Thread - June 30 @ 5 pm CDT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

rascal
07-02-2023, 12:19 PM
We would have our 22 win team who are all a year older and hopefully have developed a bit more. Let’s not forget a large number of players seem to improve the most during their first 2-3 years in the league, and our young core is precisely on that age group.

Also, I’m pretty sure Vassel could have come back earlier if PATFO weren’t being extra super mega cautious (ie, using the injury as an excuse to sit him out more). There was a stretch where it felt like we were sitting players out for paper-cuts and hurt feelings.

While I admit I really like some of the free agents this year, I don’t think we could have realistically gotten the needle movers (notably Reaves and Lopez). Not sure I’d want FVV at 40M even if it ends up just for 2 years guaranteed with a team option at year 3.

Realistically what do you expect the defensive and offensive improvements to be, get up to middle of the pack league average? That's a big jump. Do you also expect other young teams to improve in Detroit and Houston and OK City and Orlando? Just because a team is young doesn't necessarily mean there will be a huge improvement of that team.

Yes, some improvement can be expected but when you are bottom of the barrel league, bad both offensively and defensively only a homer will think you can run back the same team only adding Wemby and expect a top level league performance.

Wemby will help the overall team performance next year but he can't make all the other players better. The spurs still need to add shooting and a better starting PG and 2nd star level player/offensive creator/ go to dynamic scorer to make a big jump as a team.

Wemby couldn't even win the French league championship with another NBA top ten lottery pick on his team. He'll have tough nights were he'll struggle and the Spurs are still going to manage his minutes. Wemby will be one of the best players in the league someday but he's still going to need a better roster behind him than what the Spurs currently have.

LeBowen
07-02-2023, 12:23 PM
The spurs still need to add shooting and a better starting PG and 2nd star level player/offensive creator/ go to dynamic scorer to make a big jump as a team.

Please do tell which point guards and offensive creators Spurs missed out on in free agency?

rascal
07-02-2023, 12:28 PM
Yeah, we got stuck with that Wemby bum.

I'm not talking about Wemby.

Wemby was a lucky gift. It's what the Spurs didn't do to get another player.

rascal
07-02-2023, 12:29 PM
Please do tell which point guards and offensive creators Spurs missed out on in free agency?

They missed out on draft night.

LeBowen
07-02-2023, 12:34 PM

You would've traded like three first rounders to get into top10? Good for you, that's why you're in here with me talking hypothetical and someone else is getting paid to be a GM.
There were numerous reports that teams tried to trade up and asking prices were really high.

And all the point guards in this draft have the same weakness - lack of range and consistency from three. The exact thing Spurs want to avoid.

Ariel
07-02-2023, 12:37 PM
Personally I'd have loved for them to pick up Bufkin or Cam Whitmore, but supposedly several teams tried and didn't get any traction (Indiana and Houston publicly said so), so it wasn't so easy to pull off this time around. In fact no pick got traded until 24, except for a couple swaps between 7/8 and 10/12. What kind of deal did you have in mind?

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 12:37 PM
Yes, some improvement can be expected but when you are bottom of the barrel league, bad both offensively and defensively only a homer will think you can run back the same team only adding Wemby and expect a top level league performance.:lol who would expect top level league performance in any player acquisition scenario this season?

What plan of yours would've gotten that?

XenoThirteen
07-02-2023, 12:39 PM
Realistically what do you expect the defensive and offensive improvements to be, get up to middle of the pack league average? That's a big jump. Do you also expect other young teams to improve in Detroit and Houston and OK City and Orlando? Just because a team is young doesn't necessarily mean there will be a huge improvement of that team.

Yes, some improvement can be expected but when you are bottom of the barrel league, bad both offensively and defensively only a homer will think you can run back the same team only adding Wemby and expect a top level league performance.

Wemby will help the overall team performance next year but he can't make all the other players better. The spurs still need to add shooting and a better starting PG and 2nd star level player/offensive creator/ go to dynamic scorer to make a big jump as a team.

Wemby couldn't even win the French league championship with another NBA top ten lottery pick on his team. He'll have tough nights were he'll struggle and the Spurs are still going to manage his minutes. Wemby will be one of the best players in the league someday but he's still going to need a better roster behind him than what the Spurs currently have.

Bolded points.
1. I’m pretty sure our defense can’t be so bad now with an actual defensive anchor. We shouldn’t have even been as terrible as we were with good defenders in Sochan, Vassel, and earlier on, Poodle. For some inexplocable reason, we sucked. Gotta think it has to be by design, no? We literally left shooters open for 3 when our defensive philosophy has always been to guard the 3 and funnel people into our bigs. It was why we were routinely killed by mid-range shooters in the glory days.

2. I’m not concerned about their improvements in the short term because I’m not trying to compete with them so much as I’m looking forward to seeing our young players develop. Say what you will about our FO, but we actually try to develop players, and there’s no reason to think our core won’t improve. The only recent picks that flamed out were Samanic, Primo, and Lonnie. But to answer your question, I like what Orlando and OKC are building. Should be interesting and I wouldn’t be surprised if the current bottom 5 of the league end up as perennial playoffs contenders in 4-5 years. The above teams weren’t built in a single year, though, which is why I’m not too concerned. We have time and we can draft and sign more players once we know what Wemby can do and how to build around him.

3. I never claimed to expect this team be a top level team this coming season. On the contrary, I’m of the opinion that we’ll be a lottery team next year. And I’m ok with that because that would mean we can get another good pick.

4. I think the last point bolded is a bit funny. I honestly think it was really because of Wemby’s hyping that Bilal got drafted where he was drafted. He was really raw and felt like a huge reach. Instead of saying Wemby failed to win a championship, we should instead try to see it on another perspective: he won all the individual awards he could get, and managed to drag a bad team (that lost its two point guards) to the finals.

Extra Stout
07-02-2023, 12:44 PM

I think it’s reasonable to give them two more years to build a roster that features everything you say the need. It’s a tall task for a single offseason, and even if they cashed in future assets at 50 cents on the dollar to try to do it, Wemby would be too raw for them really to take advantage and contend.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 12:46 PM
Wemby couldn't even win the French league championship with another NBA top ten lottery pick on his team.:lol that should read 19-year old Wemby carried a developmental squad who mostly didn't know how to play basketball to the French league championship.

kobyz
07-02-2023, 12:47 PM
Is it make any sense that Spurs would take Hero in a potential Lillard trade like what the rumour is saying? After refusing to sign Reaves to 20mill they really gonna agree to take Hero with his over 30mil contract???

emanueldavidginobili
07-02-2023, 12:51 PM

Degoat
07-02-2023, 12:55 PM
I don’t anticipate it but I’d actually love Herro on the spurs, he’s a dog when healthy. Im sure Brooklyn jumps on the opportunity tho

Dejounte
07-02-2023, 12:57 PM
I don’t anticipate it but I’d actually love Herro on the spurs, he’s a dog when healthy. Im sure Brooklyn jumps on the opportunity tho
I can only think of two or three players more cringier than Herro’s off the court personality.

BatManu20
07-02-2023, 01:00 PM
Oklahoma City is acquiring Brooklyn guard Patty Mills as part of a broader deal through Houston, sources tell ESPN. The Thunder will receive draft compensation to take on Mills’ $6.8M expiring deal.

BatManu20
07-02-2023, 01:01 PM
Patty being passed around like a blunt right now. Should still be in San Antonio tbh. Would gladly have given up a couple 2nd Rounders for him if we didn’t already have Devonte Graham on the roster.

SpursFan86
07-02-2023, 01:05 PM
Patty being passed around like a blunt right now. Should still be in San Antonio tbh. Would gladly have given up a couple 2nd Rounders for him if we didn’t already have Devonte Graham on the roster.

Sounds like OKC is receiving picks to take him. With the FO’s obsession with SRPs I’m shocked we didn’t get involved :lol Guess it doesn’t make much sense with Graham already taking up a spot though.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 01:06 PM
Oklahoma City is acquiring Brooklyn guard Patty Mills as part of a broader deal through Houston, sources tell ESPN. The Thunder will receive draft compensation to take on Mills’ $6.8M expiring deal.

I wonder if the Rockets completely fucked this up and got Mills for assets and then had to give him away for assets.

BacktoBasics
07-02-2023, 01:07 PM

That’s pure speculation. You don’t know what offers were on the table and you’re completely discounting the fact that they still have all the same flexibility and assets today that they had then.

With that said I wouldn’t have had a problem if they overpaid with picks to move back into the first round but I’m also not gonna overreact like you’re doing.

We’ve got a few years and a shit ton of picks before we need to start acting like we’ve missed opportunities.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 01:07 PM
Sounds like OKC is receiving picks to take him. With the FO’s obsession with SRPs I’m shocked we didn’t get involved :lol Guess it doesn’t make much sense with Graham already taking up a spot though.

Either the Spurs have something else cooking or they weren't allowed into this by the Rockets.

BacktoBasics
07-02-2023, 01:09 PM
I can only think of two or three players more cringier than Herro’s off the court personality.

Gradey Dick approved.

Bruno
07-02-2023, 01:16 PM
Herro for Spurs would make some sense if they think he can play PG for them.

I found his contract ($120M/4 years) horrible but when you see that VanVleet, who is 6 years older, got $130M/3 years, it looks like a bargain...

Degoat
07-02-2023, 01:19 PM

I found his contract ($120M/4 years) horrible but when you see that VanVleet, who is 6 years older, got $130M/3 years, it looks like a bargain...

That’s kinda what I’m thinking, a closing lineup of

Wemby, Sochan, KJ, Dev, Herro would be insane

exstatic
07-02-2023, 01:19 PM

The contract isn’t what’s offputting for me. He’s kind of a dumbass, and not very efficient from an advanced stats viewpoint.

BacktoBasics
07-02-2023, 01:23 PM

Lol that’s like saying the 250 pound fatass at Walmart looked horrible until you saw my 700 pound life and now it’s not so bad.

kobyz
07-02-2023, 01:26 PM

Why Herro and not Reaves?

kobyz
07-02-2023, 01:28 PM

How is it make sense after not going after Reaves who is much more of a PG?

Bruno
07-02-2023, 01:29 PM
The contract isn’t what’s offputting for me. He’s kind of a dumbass, and not very efficient from an advanced stats viewpoint.

Yep, I wouldn't do a trade for him. I'm not a fan too.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 01:29 PM

How is it make sense after not going after Reaves who is much more of a PG?

We were never going to get Reaves. Lakers would've matched anything we offered.

itzsoweezee
07-02-2023, 01:36 PM
Do not want Herro at all. I’d rather have Lowry than a net negative guy like Herro.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 01:39 PM
Herro is close enough to tempting, but then you realize he's a flashy dude with an influencer lifestyle and a Ms. Kidd girlfriend. With that gross contract, his chucker mentality, and his poor defense...

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 01:40 PM

Crazy thought here, but Austin Reaves wasn't available.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 01:54 PM

Golly gee...you mean LA would have had to fouble his salary and we still could have gotten Herro....

spurraider21
07-02-2023, 01:57 PM
We’ll never know. All we do know is the rest of the league was bluffed out of making an offer enabling the lakers to get a steal

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 01:59 PM
Golly gee...you mean LA would have had to fouble his salary and we still could have gotten Herro....

Just get Herro if you want Herro. Spurs couldn't be negotiating right now if their cap was held up for the rest of this vital week.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:07 PM
Just get Herro if you want Herro. Spurs couldn't be negotiating right now if their cap was held up for the rest of this vital week.

I don't really want Herro, im ambivalent at best there for the reasons you, ex, and Dejounte articulated earlier. Also, it doesn't appear to matter if the Spurs cap was tied up this week since we aren't doing anything with it.

offset formation
07-02-2023, 02:09 PM
Opportunity cost.

Know what that is?

It means when you commit to an action, spend a resource, you can't do another action or spend that resource on something else.

Why do you want Jeff Green? Why do you want Jeff Green when getting Jeff Green means you can't use that money on something else? If you have $8 million outgoing for next year, that's money you can't use on a player you could actually use.

You just want to send money to spend money. This is stupid and senseless, no offense. The team has said very clearly that they want to see what works and then build from there. You just want to throw players into the mix to make yourself feel better. It's this consumerist wonky mentality that just wants to buy mindlessly without accounting for any consequences.

1. Could you be any more condescending?

2. Dude he signed a 1 yr deal for $6M

3. Are you aware of our current financial status vis-a-vis the salary floor and our cap room moving forward? Nothing I'm suggesting would impact that beyond next season

4. Jeff Green is merely the name you guys chose to run with, I listed at least 5 others before this not including Jeff Green, Briok Lopez, and Austin Reaves.

ace3g
07-02-2023, 02:09 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
1m
ESPN Sources: Charlotte Hornets restricted free agent F Miles Bridges is preparing to sign a $7.9 million qualifying offer for the 2023-2024 season, clearing the way for him to become unrestricted next summer. Hornets and Bridges are far apart in extension talks. Story soon

SpursFan86
07-02-2023, 02:10 PM
Bridges returning to Charlotte for 1 year on the QO. Good news for us and that 2024 pick conveying :hungry:

Mal
07-02-2023, 02:11 PM
1m
ESPN Sources: Charlotte Hornets restricted free agent F Miles Bridges is preparing to sign a $7.9 million qualifying offer for the 2023-2024 season, clearing the way for him to become unrestricted next summer. Hornets and Bridges are far apart in extension talks. Story soon

This is the bad guy Bridges, right ?

mo7888
1m

They have a good shot at the playoffs now....

spurraider21
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1675582147355193347?s=46&t=7J7PSnY8RJS8_UemWCmgcA

Bridges returning to Charlotte for 1 year on the QO. Good news for us and that 2024 pick conveying :hungry:
perfect scenario tbh. 1 year prove it deal to play his ass off and get that pick conveyed

ace3g
07-02-2023, 02:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1648391157045673984/PeoZeyFY_normal.jpg
Shams Charania ShamsCharania
(https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania)now (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1675584231735537665)
Free agent Eric Gordon has agreed to a deal with the Phoenix Suns, sources tell @TheAthletic (https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/) @Stadium (https://twitter.com/Stadium/). Massive get for the Suns.

RC_Drunkford
07-02-2023, 02:17 PM
Seems like the Spurs want to give the young guys playing time and not give the minutes to vets

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 02:18 PM
There's really no reason to believe Lopez would be interested in signing with the Spurs.

Austin Reaves? If he's as good as ST thinks he is, why wouldn't the Lakers think so too?

Not sure what else anyone wanted to do that was realistic and useful compared to seeing what happens with the young players already on the roster.

The fact the Spurs didn't extend a QO to Mamu makes me think the Spurs had a few scenarios that could have used his cap space, but they disappeared quickly so they inked him and went through with the Osman trade. Now they may try to get into a Lillard trade in some way and/or throw some money at Plumlee or Bamba to hit the salary floor.

kobyz
07-02-2023, 02:19 PM
We were never going to get Reaves. Lakers would've matched anything we offered.

I don't think you right, they would have paid a lot of taxes, but why not to try and at least fucked them over?

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 02:23 PM
I don't think you right, they would have paid a lot of taxes, but why not to try and at least fucked them over?Who knows? Maybe the FO would see that as a useless act that would destroy any incentive for the Lakers to work together with the Spurs in a future deal.

If a team a big tax bill coming, wouldn't they be looking to deal with a team that has cap space or trade exceptions sometime this year? That's the kind of thing that could still happen.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 02:26 PM
1. Could you be any more condescending?

2. Dude he signed a 1 yr deal for $6M

3. Are you aware of our current financial status vis-a-vis the salary floor and our cap room moving forward? Nothing I'm suggesting would impact that beyond next season

4. Jeff Green is merely the name you guys chose to run with, I listed at least 5 others before this not including Jeff Green, Briok Lopez, and Austin Reaves.

Bro, you're wandering around in traffic. If you think someone trying to rescue you is condescending, that's your business.

Brook Lopez was staying a Buck. I don't know how many times someone has to tell you, Austin Reaves was never going anywhere. Like, seriously man. Just drill that through your thick skull.

And Jeff Green is an old fart.

If you want to to bitch and complain, come up with realistic scenarios.

SpursFan86
07-02-2023, 02:26 PM
Shams Charania (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania)Sham (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17672)sCharania
now (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1675584231735537665)
Free agent Eric Gordon has agreed to a deal with the Phoenix Suns, sources tell @TheAthletic (https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/) @Stadium (https://twitter.com/Stadium/). Massive get for the Suns.

Man, I know we were laughing because they were getting a bunch of former Spurs but Phoenix has really done a great job filling out their depth all things considered. KBD, Okogie, Gordon, Eubanks, Watanabe…they really pulled together a decent group of bench guys that should be able to somewhat keep things afloat when the main guys sit. Obviously still a top-heavy team but I’m impressed.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 02:27 PM
Making moves during a busy FA season just to mess with one of the other 29 teams is remarkably dumb.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 02:28 PM
Man, I know we were laughing because they were getting a bunch of former Spurs but Phoenix has really done a great job filling out their depth all things considered. KBD, Okogie, Gordon, Eubanks, Watanabe…they really pulled together a decent group of bench guys that should be able to somewhat keep things afloat when the main guys sit. Obviously still a top-heavy team but I’m impressed.

Everyone's fellating LA for their 'incredible' FA season, although they just kept two of their players, lost Dennis Schroeder, added a guy who is worse in Gabe Vincent, and Taurean Prince. People might think Cam Reddish isn't a complete waste.

Phoenix is the team that has done extremely well filling their bench.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:29 PM
Making moves during a busy FA season just to mess with one of the other 29 teams is remarkably dumb.

No...making your rival spend more and thereby reducing their ability to spend as much in tbe future isn't dumb...

rascal
07-02-2023, 02:31 PM
You would've traded like three first rounders to get into top10? Good for you, that's why you're in here with me talking hypothetical and someone else is getting paid to be a GM.
There were numerous reports that teams tried to trade up and asking prices were really high.

And all the point guards in this draft have the same weakness - lack of range and consistency from three. The exact thing Spurs want to avoid.

There's five players I would have targeted, Scoot, Hood-Shifino(target Utah with the 16th pick), Bufkin, Hawkins and Cam although Scoot would have been almost impossible to trade for. I also would have drafted Andre Jackson with the 33rd pick.

But it's not what I would have done it's that the Spurs went into the draft thinking to being overly conservative and not really wanting to make a trade. The end result is they didn't make a trade up to grab one of the top PGs this year.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 02:33 PM
No...making your rival spend more and thereby reducing their ability to spend as much in tbe future isn't dumb...

They'd have to sit everything out for the next week.

Maybe call up the FO and tell them how this brilliant idea of not being involved in the first, most important week of FA season just to mess around with some team to the west was the way to go. Tell them how it's more important to play a joke than it is to look out for your own team.

CGD
07-02-2023, 02:35 PM

That’s at best a tertiary goal, and shouldn’t lead the way the organization runs itself in my view. Plus, the Lakers are in a two year time horizon anyway. By the time that poison pill part of the deal kicks in LeBron and even AD’s money may be off the books for them in any case. So what’s the point?

exstatic
07-02-2023, 02:37 PM
(https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania)now (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1675584231735537665)

Not really. He pretty much stunk late last year. He old.

rascal
07-02-2023, 02:37 PM
That’s at best a tertiary goal, and shouldn’t lead the way the organization runs itself in my view. Plus, the Lakers are in a two year time horizon anyway. By the time that poison pill part of the deal kicks in LeBron and even AD’s money may be off the books for them in any case. So what’s the point?

Agree you don't make claims to make other teams pay more. you make claims on guys you really want.

TD 21
07-02-2023, 02:38 PM
Herro isn't Spurs material and can't defend PG's. With Trail Blazers not interested in him (if they were, Simons would become available) and the 76ers said to be unwilling to part with Maxey, Spurs only potential involvement in a Lillard trade could be as dumping ground for draft capital.

That's why I keep saying target Quickley. Even if Thibodeau, notorious for not playing small, is willing to off the bench, there's still the matter of an expensive extension looming for the former next off season, on a team where his role will always be suppressed because of Brunson.

Offer Graham, Osman, Stevens and draft capital for him and Fournier. Would add $2.4M, leaving I believe $3.2M to reach the floor to offer to some minimal veteran C.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:41 PM
They'd have to sit everything out for the next week.

Maybe call up the FO and tell them how this brilliant idea of not being involved in the first, most important week of FA season just to mess around with some team to the west was the way to go. Tell them how it's more important to play a joke than it is to look out for your own team.

Ah yes...deflecting and whining about calling the FO again huh...that's quite weak.. The fact is that they arent doing anything with their space so it doesn't matter if its tied up.... if that changes then your position will become logical...

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:43 PM

The point is that we dont know what they'll do in two years, but we do know if they had to match theyd have roughly $25M less to do it with.... and its only tertiary if we actually have a plan to use our cap space this week elsewhere..

LeBowen
07-02-2023, 02:45 PM
There's five players I would have targeted, Scoot, Hood-Shifino(target Utah with the 16th pick), Bufkin, Hawkins and Cam although Scoot would have been almost impossible to trade for. I also would have drafted Andre Jackson with the 33rd pick.

But it's not what I would have done it's that the Spurs went into the draft thinking to being overly conservative and not really wanting to make a trade. The end result is they didn't make a trade up to grab one of the top PGs this year.

Again, which part of the noone wanted to trade up you don't understand?
After drafting Amen, Rockets tried hard to move up into low teens to get Whitmore, noone wanted to trade down. They got lucky that he fell all the way down to 20th.

We need a point guard who's projected to be an elite threat from deep. None of these guys are even good shooters.
Sure, it would've been nice to trade up, but the asking price was too high.

SpursFan86
07-02-2023, 02:46 PM
Everyone's fellating LA for their 'incredible' FA season, although they just kept two of their players, lost Dennis Schroeder, added a guy who is worse in Gabe Vincent, and Taurean Prince. People might think Cam Reddish isn't a complete waste.

Phoenix is the team that has done extremely well filling their bench.

I’m with you - I think Phoenix has done a better job of filling out their depth than LA in terms of getting bang for their buck. For example: LA throwing $51MM at Rui looks terrible in comparison to Phoenix getting KBD for nearly the vet min.

The Reaves (your favorite player!) deal was great but aside from that I don’t really think the Lakers have gotten any major steals IMO.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 02:47 PM
The point is that we dont know what they'll do in two years, but we do know if they had to match theyd have roughly $25M less to do it with.... and its only tertiary if we actually have a plan to use our cap space this week elsewhere..I still don't get the idea that all the cap has to be spent the first day of free agency.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:50 PM
I still don't get the idea that all the cap has to be spent the first day of free agency.

Who said it does? A better question might be (as it pertains to this discussion) is it going to be spent at all?

Ditty
07-02-2023, 02:51 PM
Bridges signed the qualifying offer to make him an unrestricted next offseason. Haven't seen much of him play in Charlotte. Don't know much about the off court stuff he was going through. Would he be a good pick up next year if his game hasn't drop off or does Sochan bring the same skills Bridges does?

CGD
07-02-2023, 02:52 PM
^ I think a likely use of the cap space will be what we saw last year: signing and waiving many dudes they want to get a look at like the Robys, Stanley Johnsons, and Wisecamps of the world. All those guys were waived with their guaranteed money hitting the books.

ace3g
07-02-2023, 02:52 PM
now
Free agent center Cody Zeller has agreed to a one-year, $3.1 million deal with the New Orleans Pelicans, his agent Sam Goldfeder of @excelbasketball tells ESPN.

CGD
07-02-2023, 02:53 PM
now
Free agent center Cody Zeller has agreed to a one-year, $3.1 million deal with the New Orleans Pelicans, his agent Sam Goldfeder of @excelbasketball tells ESPN.

Great— now send us Jonás

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:55 PM
Bridges signed the qualifying offer to make him an unrestricted next offseason. Haven't seen much of him play in Charlotte. Don't know much about the off court stuff he was going through. Would he be a good pick up next year if his game hasn't drop off or does Sochan bring the same skills Bridges does?

His value to us is producing more wins for Charlotte so the pick will convey.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 02:55 PM
Who said it does? A better question might be (as it pertains to this discussion) is it going to be spent at all?

Unless there's an actual compelling deal to be made, probably not. The window closed pretty quickly on the potential outright signings, so the Spurs shifted to absorbing deals with the space. There's not much reason to believe the absolute best deals can be made in the summer, so why do it?

spurraider21
07-02-2023, 02:56 PM
Great— now send us Jonás
Would you rather trade for Jonas or just sign Plumlee outright?

mo7888
07-02-2023, 02:58 PM
Unless there's an actual compelling deal to be made, probably not. The window closed pretty quickly on the potential outright signings, so the Spurs shifted to absorbing deals with the space. There's not much reason to believe the absolute best deals can be made in the summer, so why do it?

Its wasn't about getting the best deal, although that would have been great, it was about limiting you rivals options in the future.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 02:59 PM
Its wasn't about getting the best deal, although that would have been great, it was about limiting you rivals options in the future.

And limiting your own at the same time?

Pass.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:00 PM
And limiting your own at the same time?

Pass.

How are we limited?

BatManu20
07-02-2023, 03:01 PM
Would you rather trade for Jonas or just sign Plumlee outright?

Sign Plums. While Jonas is the better player, it’s not enough of a gap to warrant trading a FRP for him (assuming that’s what it would cost), especially with only 1 year left on his deal. If he could somehow be had for multiple SRP’s though, I’d gladly do that.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:02 PM
Sign Plums. While Jonas is the better player, it’s not enough of a gap to warrant trading a FRP for him (assuming that’s what it would cost), especially with only 1 year left on his deal. If he could somehow be had for multiple SRP’s though, I’d gladly do that.

Jonas isn't garnering a 1st in the current climate

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 03:03 PM
How are we limited?If you ever want to do business with the Lakers in the future -- which might happen when/if they are a tax payer.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:04 PM
If you ever want to do business with the Lakers in the future -- which might happen when/if they are a tax payer.

When have we done business with them in the past? They dont deal with us anyway....there's zero cost there..

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 03:05 PM
When have we done business with them in the past? They dont deal with us anyway....there's zero cost there..Sure there is.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:10 PM
Sure there is.

No there's not...they wouldn't make a serious offer for nephew...they don't deal with us if theres any way around it....and if by chance they find there selves in a tax paying position in the future and need to unload something attractive, they aren't doing that with us if there's any other team out there with similar space....and if there's no team except us with space....it won't matter what we did with AR because they arent goung to Is sabotage themselves over spilt milk..

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 03:13 PM
No there's not...they wouldn't make a serious offer for nephew...they don't deal with us if theres any way around it....and if by chance they find there selves in a tax paying position in the future and need to unload something attractive, they aren't doing that with us if there's any other team out there with similar space....and if there's no team except us with space....it won't matter what we did with AR because they arent goung to Is sabotage themselves over spilt milk..:lol troll signings aren't really how things are done in the NBA.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:16 PM
:lol troll signings aren't really how things are done in the NBA.

Unlike your short responses, its not a Troll signing... We should want AR as a player... we also know we arent getting him because LA would have matched....so make them put there cards on the table... there's literally zero downside unless we have a plan in place to use our cap space elsewhere.... if we do then this looks better..

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 03:19 PM
Unlike your short responses, its not a Troll signing... We should want AR as a player... we also know we arent getting him because LA would have matched....so make them put there cards on the table... there's literally zero downside unless we have a plan in place to use our cap space elsewhere.... if we do then this looks better..Maybe we don't want him as a player.

Maybe the plan is wait to see if something better comes along or just not spend the money this year on non-home run deals per orders from ownership.

BatManu20
07-02-2023, 03:22 PM
Jonas isn't garnering a 1st in the current climate

Normally I’d agree, but NOLA has no need to rush moving him, and they might feel they can squeeze a late FRP out of a contending team at the trade deadline. Even if they’re wrong, they have no reason to trade him for just a couple SRP’s right now.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:23 PM
Maybe we don't want him as a player.

Maybe the plan is wait to see if something better comes along or just not spend the money this year per orders from ownership.

We should. He's on the same timeline as our young guys and would be the 2nd best player on our team Day 1. Much better fit than Herro... and if we didnt spend on 'orders from ownership ' then we have a bigger problem than the one we've been discussing.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 03:24 PM
We should.Great.

But it doesn't matter now.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:25 PM
Normally I’d agree, but NOLA has no need to rush moving him, and they might feel they can squeeze a late FRP out of a contending team at the trade deadline. Even if they’re wrong, they have no reason to trade him for just a couple SRP’s right now.

That's fine too...they simply won't be trading him anytime soon and will lose him for nothing... nobody is paying a 1st unless nola takes back bad longer-term salary.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:27 PM
Great.

It matters...there's just nothing that can be done at this point..

spurraider21
07-02-2023, 03:27 PM
Great.

None of our opinions matter. The FO was always going to do what it was going to do regardless of what posters say on ST

that’s not the reason people come here

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 03:28 PM
It matters...there's just nothing that can be done matter..I mean you can bitch about it here for years to come. That is something.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:29 PM
I mean you can bitch about it here for years to come. That is something.

We all bitch...or get entertained here....nobody is under the delusion that anything we say here makes a difference....unless its you...

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 03:30 PM
None of our opinions matter. The FO was always going to do what it was going to do regardless of what posters say on ST

that’s not the reason people come hereSure. I just don't know how much effort needs to be expended on what one thinks should've happened when there are still so many possibilities for the coming season.

If you think a lot of effort should be expended on what didn't happen, no one here has or will stop you. That's part of the reason you come here.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 03:31 PM
We all bitch...or get entertained here....nobody is under the delusion that anything we say here makes a difference....unless its you...:lol I'm the one that said it didn't matter.

mo7888
07-02-2023, 03:34 PM
:lol I'm the one that said it didn't matter.

You're the one that brought it up....

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 03:34 PM
You're the one that brought it up....Absolutely. There's nothing to suggest I thought what I said mattered when it comes to things that didn't happen and can't now.

jesterbobman
07-02-2023, 03:36 PM
I think the whole free agency period has been the Spurs essentially admitting that Vic is weird and we don't know the best fit around him. He's so unique that there's not really a template for what player types will best fit, so the Spurs have a bunch of type variety to assess before splashing assets for upgrades.

For instance, will he work best with a gunner PG like Graham, or a steady option like Tre - If you know, you can make a clearer decision on Collier vs Proctor in the draft (if they're in the same talent tier).
Does he fit best next to Bassey or Mamu: If Bassey, Clingon might make sense with the Toronto pick. If you just want as much shooting around Vic as possible and you want to use Vic's finishing in the dunker spot, then it doesn't - and you keep Zach.
We don't have a comparison of elite players with those traits, but that wasn't going to be possible.

I'd have loved the AR / Brook moves because I think they're good players who'd fit and be worthy of their contracts, but that's passed.

ace3g
07-02-2023, 03:42 PM
2m
Free agent Lonnie Walker has agreed to a one year deal with the Brooklyn Nets, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul and agent Lucas Newton tell ESPN

BatManu20
07-02-2023, 03:48 PM
Been seeing some Twitter noise regarding Dame to Toronto for Scottie Barnes + draft picks. Just the kind of splash Masai loves to make. Doubt it happens, but would suck for our pick next year tbh.

kobyz
07-02-2023, 04:05 PM
Who knows? Maybe the FO would see that as a useless act that would destroy any incentive for the Lakers to work together with the Spurs in a future deal.

If a team a big tax bill coming, wouldn't they be looking to deal with a team that has cap space or trade exceptions sometime this year? That's the kind of thing that could still happen.

you talking pathetic shit, front office should only look at Spurs interest without thinking of what the Lakers would feel about a free agent offer we give that we have every legitimation to give, if Lakers would trade with us in the future has nothing to do if we snatched Reaves or not...
Spurs just help a rival team not to pay big tax bill or to keep a high level player at a bargin price, if you justifies that you are a homer of front office

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 04:10 PM
you talking pathetic shit, front office should only look at Spurs interest without thinking of what the Lakers would feel about a free agent offer we give that we have every legitimation to give, if Lakers would trade with us in the future has nothing to do if we snatched Reaves or not...
Spurs just help a rival team not to pay big tax bill or to keep a high level player at a bargin price, if you justifies that you are a homer of front office

I'm just explaining what I believe is their thinking, It's not a big deal.

kobyz
07-02-2023, 04:14 PM
I'm just explaining what I believe is their thinking, It's not a big deal.

it's should be very disturbing for Spurs fan if that is their thinking

SpursFan86
07-02-2023, 04:14 PM

Wonder what type of package they’d be looking for…doubt Spurs get involved here but interesting nonetheless

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 04:16 PM
it's should be very disturbing for Spurs fan if that is their thinkingMeh, you'll be fine.

RC_Drunkford
07-02-2023, 04:26 PM

Wonder what type of package they’d be looking for…doubt Spurs get involved here but interesting nonetheless

we can send them Osman and Stevens back for him :lol

SpursFan86
07-02-2023, 04:29 PM
we can send them Osman and Stevens back for him :lol

Osman + Stevens + six SRPs…get it done BWright

The Truth #6
07-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Herro isn't Spurs material and can't defend PG's. With Trail Blazers not interested in him (if they were, Simons would become available) and the 76ers said to be unwilling to part with Maxey, Spurs only potential involvement in a Lillard trade could be as dumping ground for draft capital.

That's why I keep saying target Quickley. Even if Thibodeau, notorious for not playing small, is willing to off the bench, there's still the matter of an expensive extension looming for the former next off season, on a team where his role will always be suppressed because of Brunson.

Offer Graham, Osman, Stevens and draft capital for him and Fournier. Would add $2.4M, leaving I believe $3.2M to reach the floor to offer to some minimal veteran C.

Quickley was my somewhat reasonable point guard target for the off season. There were rumors he wasn’t part of their future due to roster and financial issues. But I think that perhaps changed.

TD 21
07-02-2023, 04:42 PM
Been seeing some Twitter noise regarding Dame to Toronto for Scottie Barnes + draft picks. Just the kind of splash Masai loves to make. Doubt it happens, but would suck for our pick next year tbh.

:lmao At the false narratives that continue to surround them because of unprecedented luck, Craptors fans and fanboys alike desperate to inject them into every superstar/star trade scenario.

Somehow Barnes went from the GOAT prospect who couldn't possibly be traded for Durant to being the centerpiece for an aging small guard who doesn't want to be there (whether it should or not, that matters).

Anything to try to quick fix and will themselves to relevancy.

Quickley was my somewhat reasonable point guard target for the off season. There were rumors he wasn’t part of their future due to roster and financial issues. But I think that perhaps changed.

If anything, it's more likely he's not. They now have five other starter/high end backup perimeter players, none of whom are really suited to playing significant four. At some point, something's got to give.

Chinook
07-02-2023, 04:51 PM
People don't seem to realize that vets can help guys grow. Like sure, Lopez would've taken minutes for Bassey or whatever, but if he was a good mentor to Wemba, isn't that worth more? Maybe having an experienced, high-quality PG would help Vassell and Johnson develop the off-ball games they need to in order to succeed with a more actualized Wembayama. And experienced scorer might have a better understanding of how he can use his skills to leverage a defense in order to give Victor easier opportunities. Experienced defenders can make Wemba's transition to NBA-level offensive players easier by not being the pure sieves the incumbent Spurs were and have been for years (it was not just a tanking thing). No, they shouldn't've traded all of their youth away for vets, nor should they have tried to bring an entire in-its-prime core. But yes, key vets are important. That's part of why McDermott has the value to the Spurs he does. Young players matter too, but they don't all matter the same. They have their blue chip and a number of red-chip players. They can focus on them, on creating the atmosphere that helps them grow, rather than trying to prioritize their white-chip prospects.

The Spurs shouldn't be in the position where they are like, "Should we be running these plays for Vassell or Champ? Are we going to put the ball in Sochan's hands or Mamu's?" It's one thing to be meritocratic and willing to accept when a guy like Mamu or Champ has earned additional investment. But they should have to crest a higher barrier to earn that status than the players they took in the lottery. It's virtuous to allow a guy like that to prove himself. It's not virtuous to hamstring the roster to force them to do so. That's why an old, steady hand is better than a young guy still trying to cut his teeth. Or a young star still trying to be the man. It's a shame that there are multiple older stars on the market right now but somehow they happen to be the three worst players for this kind of situation.

We'll see what they do during the draft, but it's amazing that they weren't willing to do the Holmes deal. They could've used him on the court, and it's very likely that there's somebody between 24 and 33 whom the Spurs liked. They may still use the space for a good reason. But if they just wanted a dump, that was a big miss on their part. It made sense in the context of them wanting to use their space to sign a guy or as a critical part of a big trade. But if they wanted to just run it back, getting an experienced center on an expiring deal for a decent first seems obvious as hell. There was a fair bit of speculation the Spurs wanted a guy who was taken in the late 20s. If that was true, this was a big miss. If they didn't want anyone, they probably could've gotten a team to trade up into the first. Like Minny might've done the same kind of trade for 24, but with the added bonus of having a productive big instead of Cedi.

I'm still holding out hope that either Lillard or Harden have something for SA in there. If they take a large salary for a second just to waive that player, it'll be a bad off-season outside of the obviously amazing beginning to it.

RC_Drunkford
07-02-2023, 04:55 PM
let's trade for Dinwiddie :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4A_YUBCLNk

tonight...you
07-02-2023, 05:01 PM
:lmao At the false narratives that continue to surround them because of unprecedented luck, Craptors fans and fanboys alike desperate to inject them into every superstar/star trade scenario.

Somehow Barnes went from the GOAT prospect who couldn't possibly be traded for Durant to being the centerpiece for an aging small guard who doesn't want to be there (whether it should or not, that matters).

Anything to try to quick fix and will themselves to relevancy.

If anything, it's more likely he's not. They now have five other starter/high end backup perimeter players, none of whom are really suited to playing significant four. At some point, something's got to give.
Lol, I love it.
You're just waiting for KingKev to post, aren't you?
Just great! I can feel your anticipation, and that's not dogging you.
I'm enjoying these little quiets before the storm.

Shit... Now I want to watch Leon: The Professional.

SpursFan86
07-02-2023, 05:05 PM
People don't seem to realize that vets can help guys grow.

This is maybe my biggest gripe with the people around here who act like it’s foolish to go out and get any vets. “What’s the point? This FA class isn’t good and none of these guys would make us title contenders”…as if there’s no benefit to be had from having a couple of solid veterans around to mentor guys both on and off the court. It’s one thing if you’re talking about adding a vet who will have a huge role and play 36 mpg, but pretty much none of the popular names thrown around this off-season fall into that category.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 05:11 PM
Isn't Osman a vet? It's a young team and they still want to see what they have in the young players before casting them off. More vets will be added when/if the Spurs get closer to contention but they're trying to make some vets by that time as well.

DPG21920
07-02-2023, 05:15 PM
I think its more about if you didn’t have a plan for vets (which I agree with, especially high usage expensive vets) then you should have been more inventive with your cap space (even the Mavs took on a deal and got an extra first round pick for it).

Have some sort of imagination and use your assets to improve either on the court and/or your ability in the future. Again, is it a MAJOR deal? No. They are still in a good spot. But so much meat left on the bone for a team that should be very much in asset accumulation mode and had a TON of cap space, players and picks at their disposal. This was a mail it in entirely free agency and draft for no reason at all.

Edit: Should go without saying, but I will say it: FA is not over. SA may very well have a plan and be involved in bigger deals and we see all of that happen. So Im not judging until it’s over and Im not even mad if this is all we do. I agree with patience and that overall mindset. Im 100% behind that overall plan and that’s most important

Just want to see a bit more creativity and sharpness and asset optimization

Obstructed_View
07-02-2023, 05:30 PM
This is maybe my biggest gripe with the people around here who act like it’s foolish to go out and get any vets. “What’s the point? This FA class isn’t good and none of these guys would make us title contenders”…as if there’s no benefit to be had from having a couple of solid veterans around to mentor guys both on and off the court. It’s one thing if you’re talking about adding a vet who will have a huge role and play 36 mpg, but pretty much none of the popular names thrown around this off-season fall into that category.
Go back and read my posts. I have said several times that the Spurs' biggest need is vets with playoff experience. Mario Elie was 35 when he came to SA, but he wasn't dragging a 120 million dollar anchor around his neck. Also, he had actually won championships.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 05:36 PM

We already have McDermott, who may follow his dad into coaching, and Graham.

Like, we already have vets on the team.

jesterbobman
07-02-2023, 05:43 PM
People don't seem to realize that vets can help guys grow. Like sure, Lopez would've taken minutes for Bassey or whatever, but if he was a good mentor to Wemba, isn't that worth more? Maybe having an experienced, high-quality PG would help Vassell and Johnson develop the off-ball games they need to in order to succeed with a more actualized Wembayama. And experienced scorer might have a better understanding of how he can use his skills to leverage a defense in order to give Victor easier opportunities. Experienced defenders can make Wemba's transition to NBA-level offensive players easier by not being the pure sieves the incumbent Spurs were and have been for years (it was not just a tanking thing). No, they shouldn't've traded all of their youth away for vets, nor should they have tried to bring an entire in-its-prime core. But yes, key vets are important. That's part of why McDermott has the value to the Spurs he does. Young players matter too, but they don't all matter the same. They have their blue chip and a number of red-chip players. They can focus on them, on creating the atmosphere that helps them grow, rather than trying to prioritize their white-chip prospects.

The Spurs shouldn't be in the position where they are like, "Should we be running these plays for Vassell or Champ? Are we going to put the ball in Sochan's hands or Mamu's?" It's one thing to be meritocratic and willing to accept when a guy like Mamu or Champ has earned additional investment. But they should have to crest a higher barrier to earn that status than the players they took in the lottery. It's virtuous to allow a guy like that to prove himself. It's not virtuous to hamstring the roster to force them to do so. That's why an old, steady hand is better than a young guy still trying to cut his teeth. Or a young star still trying to be the man. It's a shame that there are multiple older stars on the market right now but somehow they happen to be the three worst players for this kind of situation.

We'll see what they do during the draft, but it's amazing that they weren't willing to do the Holmes deal. They could've used him on the court, and it's very likely that there's somebody between 24 and 33 whom the Spurs liked. They may still use the space for a good reason. But if they just wanted a dump, that was a big miss on their part. It made sense in the context of them wanting to use their space to sign a guy or as a critical part of a big trade. But if they wanted to just run it back, getting an experienced center on an expiring deal for a decent first seems obvious as hell. There was a fair bit of speculation the Spurs wanted a guy who was taken in the late 20s. If that was true, this was a big miss. If they didn't want anyone, they probably could've gotten a team to trade up into the first. Like Minny might've done the same kind of trade for 24, but with the added bonus of having a productive big instead of Cedi.

I'm still holding out hope that either Lillard or Harden have something for SA in there. If they take a large salary for a second just to waive that player, it'll be a bad off-season outside of the obviously amazing beginning to it.

I can get slow rolling and not going all in on most free agents and seeing what type of players fit, though I agree that useful mentors would be a good use of cap space - If you want Wemby to get better and learn, a lot will come from coaching from Pop et al and knowing more things over time, but also from learning from guys on the bench / in drills, talking through positioning on the floor. Mentoring is key for that, and to this point, I think that's been missed on.
From the deal Brook has apparently agreed to, I think the Bucks were biting the Bullet and signing him / matching a $ offer, but it's worth offering as he's REALLY FREAKING GOOD, and a better mentor on positioning / playing within the rules of the 3 second limit than basically anyone in the league. We don't know what the Spurs have offered and ben rejected on, though rumours of Houston offering Brook, and the lack of a Reaves offer feel like bad process.

If we end up with a year of Lowry or Batum within the Lilliard / Harden trades, it'll be less bad, and I'll wait until the end of the offseason for judging, but seems like a lack of a clear valuation on the role of veterans in helping build habits and understanding.

Ariel
07-02-2023, 06:12 PM

They'd ask for Vassell probably. He's good but overrated in that you can find multiple players to give you 80% of what he does without giving up a core piece for him. But Cleveland should DEFINITELY trade him if that means they get a really good wing. I'd also trade one of Garland / Mitchell if I were them.

The Truth #6
07-02-2023, 07:43 PM
If the team wants to see what we have in our young players, call it more developing, if you want, while not trying to overtax Victor, while also being OK with a softer soft tank to get one more high pick…then I’m OK with that scenario, but because we have no idea what their real motivation is, all we can do is speculate, and tear each other‘s eyes out, of course.

lefty20
07-02-2023, 07:44 PM

Mugen
07-02-2023, 08:26 PM
BWrong probably wondering how all these teams negotiated so quickly after June 30th :lol

ace3g
07-02-2023, 08:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1648391157045673984/PeoZeyFY_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania)Shams Charania (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania)@ShamsCharania (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania)

The Sacramento Kings are signing No. 34 overall pick Colby Jones out of Xavier on a four-year, $8.76 million rookie deal, sources tell @TheAthletic (https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/) @Stadium (https://twitter.com/Stadium/). Two years guaranteed. Jones becomes the first player signed under NBA’s new Second Round Pick Exception.

8:22pm · 2 Jul 2023 (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1675676418498281473) · Twitter for iPhone (https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/how-to-tweet#source-labels)

MannyIsGod
07-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Regardless of how you think this off-season has gone, it's pretty clear the Spurs aren't great at utilizing cap space.

XenoThirteen
07-02-2023, 08:46 PM
We already have McDermott, who may follow his dad into coaching, and Graham.

Like, we already have vets on the team.

Not to mention the fact that literally Manu and Timmy are often seen in practices working on the young guys.

cutewizard
07-02-2023, 08:59 PM

Excellent post, I'm learning a lot....thank you Sir

ace3g
07-02-2023, 09:00 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1675616000035700736

cutewizard
07-02-2023, 09:00 PM
Hoping the Sours have a look at Kai Sotto....

cutewizard
07-02-2023, 09:02 PM
Duncan, Manu and Parker

CGD
07-02-2023, 09:13 PM
Hoping the Sours have a look at Kai Sotto....

The Sours should absolutely knock themselves out doing so. The Spurs should pass however.

Ariel
07-02-2023, 09:18 PM
The Sours should absolutely knock themselves out doing so. The Spurs should pass however.
You crazy? How do you pass up 9 points & 6 boards on the Japanese League. Next Jokic IMO.

cd98
07-02-2023, 09:31 PM
My impression is that the Spurs are always waiting for the homerun that isn't coming. Last season they held open a bunch of cap space hoping to get some first round picks for teams looking to shed salary. They were really only able to get 2nd round picks for doing that. I think they are waiting for the obvious moves, but at some point, they need to start taking chances. I like the current roster, but they aren't making the playoffs in a Western Conference that just keeps getting more stacked.

scott
07-02-2023, 09:34 PM
Regardless of how you think this off-season has gone, it's pretty clear the Spurs aren't great at utilizing cap space.

I think it’s possible the Spurs have a different (lower) cap they are operating with the last few years (and this one) that we don’t know about.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 09:46 PM
My impression is that the Spurs are always waiting for the homerun that isn't coming. Last season they held open a bunch of cap space hoping to get some first round picks for teams looking to shed salary. They were really only able to get 2nd round picks for doing that. I think they are waiting for the obvious moves, but at some point, they need to start taking chances. I like the current roster, but they aren't making the playoffs in a Western Conference that just keeps getting more stacked.

The Western Conference is a basket case.

There hasn't been a single FA they'll regret missing. They can live without Cody Zeller.

They are looking for the right pitch.

They really don't need to swing. The notion this board has that some super jumbo magic FA acquisition was going to put them in the playoffs is rather weird. They just got what's going to put them in the playoffs. If not this year, then next.

DPG21920
07-02-2023, 09:49 PM

Yup. It’s an asset that can be used in many ways. *Feels* like they just lack creativity of vision since trading has not traditionally been a big part of their repertoire. Now, they have done a lot of great trades last few years so Im really excited to see that aspect be utilized, but they really struggle with things like cap space and end up just sort of wasting opportunities for whatever reason (vision? Mandate? To risk adverse? Not sure)

Still happy with where they are at and at least they don’t blow cap space and ruin opportunities so that’s good.

couchman
07-02-2023, 09:49 PM
I think it’s possible the Spurs have a different (lower) cap they are operating with the last few years (and this one) that we don’t know about.

That wouldn't be surprising considering how poor attendance has been the last few seasons. Is team revenue something we can know? I bet it's down quite a bit lately.
Wemby simply existing means the Spurs can refill the financial coffers this season, "see what we have" from Wemby and the supporting cast, and THEN make decisions about investing in talent to match Wemby's expected timeline once we have a clearer picture of that timeline.

tbdog
07-02-2023, 10:01 PM
I think cap hasn't been used well by any team. Jazz probably got the best use by taking Collins, who is at least a good basketball player. Thunder didn't do much. Pacers actually probably did the best. Rockets just blew their load.

Russ
07-02-2023, 10:14 PM
The Western Conference is a basket case.

There hasn't been a single FA they'll regret missing. They can live without Cody Zeller.

They are looking for the right pitch.

They really don't need to swing. The notion this board has that some super jumbo magic FA acquisition was going to put them in the playoffs is rather weird. They just got what's going to put them in the playoffs. If not this year, then next.

Ironically enough, inertia is on the Spurs side.

I kind of like Tyler Herro because (1) he's 23 (great) and (2) he a very good player (fantastic).

But (3) he has a bad contract (four years worth) and (4) he could be a problem personality.

It's hard to say that a team that went 22-60 should play it safe, but in this crazy situation I think they should.

Avoid the "big mistake" (or the big bang). Just trust inertia, no need to be an Einstein.

barakz21
07-02-2023, 10:18 PM
Guess this is it, right? No more foreseeable moves to be made? “We like what we have”?

exstatic
07-02-2023, 10:27 PM
Guess this is it, right? No more foreseeable moves to be made? “We like what we have”?

Yeah, pretty much what they said a month ago.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 10:34 PM

They already liked what they had. There's still a major transaction on the horizon that's not the Lillard/Miami situation and that's Harden and the Clippers. It'll probably take ages, though, same as the Ben Simmons situation, although it probably has to be resolved before the season starts. The Spurs may be seeing what shakes loose from LAC, or... maybe not.

benfti
07-02-2023, 10:52 PM
Patty being passed around like a blunt right now. Should still be in San Antonio tbh. Would gladly have given up a couple 2nd Rounders for him if we didn’t already have Devonte Graham on the roster.id be grabbing him even with Graham on the roster, just to be a proper vet presence in the locker room and to be in the HEB ads.

He is such a great Spur, he needs to end his career as a Spur, not like this.

barakz21
07-02-2023, 11:24 PM
They already liked what they had. There's still a major transaction on the horizon that's not the Lillard/Miami situation and that's Harden and the Clippers. It'll probably take ages, though, same as the Ben Simmons situation, although it probably has to be resolved before the season starts. The Spurs may be seeing what shakes loose from LAC, or... maybe not.

Considering they had a very young roster I imagine they’d want to evaluate them and see how they’ll do when they now have an actual franchise player and players can just play and not have to be “the man”. STILL, I expected them to sign someone who can 1.) help them win 2.) be a veteran presence on the team and 3.) who can help them meet the salary floor.

In any case, while I wasn’t necessarily “happy”, I’m not disappointed either.

barakz21
07-02-2023, 11:26 PM
Yeah, pretty much what they said a month ago.

Would be nice though if we can find out which FAs they kicked the tires on, be it due diligence or serious interest.

Mr. Body
07-02-2023, 11:28 PM
Considering they had a very young roster I imagine they’d want to evaluate them and see how they’ll do when they now have an actual franchise player and players can just play and not have to be “the man”. STILL, I expected them to sign someone who can 1.) help them win 2.) be a veteran presence on the team and 3.) who can help them meet the salary floor.

In any case, while I wasn’t necessarily “happy”, I’m not disappointed either.

Absolutely. When they say they want to see what they have, it's not only Wembanyama. There are like seven different first or second year players on the roster who are only starting out -- we don't know what they can do.

Sochan
Branham
Wesley
Bassey
Champagnie
Barlow
Cissoko

And Mamukelashvili is a third year player who only got his first real playing time late this year. We really don't know where these players are going to be in November, January, or next April.

I kind of wanted them to grab Patty even before he was traded. I want another big. But if this is what we have, that's totally cool. The most fun I've had in a while as a Spurs fan was watching the new guys at the end of the season. If the team plays hard and loose, this could be a great season.

Chinook
07-03-2023, 07:16 AM
I'm not sure the Spurs would've done anything differently had they not won the lottery. I think "wanting to see how guys play with Victor" is the rationalization for being passive. Had they drafted Thompson, I think the rationalization would've been "not wanting to rush the rebuild and needing to see what Amen's ceiling is." I think the anxiety folks are seeing is coming from the Spurs NOT doing things different despite having a franchise player on their roster. Personally, I am okay with the Spurs taking the year to figure out if Wemby is legit before committing. But how much confidence do people have that after this year of evaluation the team is going to make strong moves? I think it's possible that even after next year, they continue to try to build slowly and organically. They might have to figure out what to do with three first-round picks next year (2024-2025). Are they going to sell them for pennies on the dollar because they waited until the draft to actually try to get value for them?

We don't know. But the Spurs didn't do the hard part yet. Winning the lottery and then taking the franchise player isn't hard. It's not a foolproof plan, and of course tanking is painful. But they got lucky and made the obvious choice so far. Actually turning that blue chip into a title team is going to define Wright's career with the team. Despite the initial assumptions fans might make, I don't know that the Spurs execs have much experience with that. They inherited a title contender and drafted a ready-made superstar. They know about maintaining a dynasty, but building that early development core and transitioning that core into a contender -- that remains to be seen. It's very possible the team continues to take a passive approach and that that doesn't end up being the ideal solution. I think there's plenty of room for nuanced discussion around the balance between building sustainably and capitalizing on the assets the team has.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 07:21 AM
I'm not sure the Spurs would've done anything differently had they not won the lottery. I think "wanting to see how guys play with Victor" is the rationalization for being passive. Had they drafted Thompson, I think the rationalization would've been "not wanting to rush the rebuild and needing to see what Amen's ceiling is." I think the anxiety folks are seeing is coming from the Spurs NOT doing things different despite having a franchise player on their roster. Personally, I am okay with the Spurs taking the year to figure out if Wemby is legit before committing. But how much confidence do people have that after this year of evaluation the team is going to make strong moves? I think it's possible that even after next year, they continue to try to build slowly and organically. They might have to figure out what to do with three first-round picks next year (2024-2025). Are they going to sell them for pennies on the dollar because they waited until the draft to actually try to get value for them?

We don't know. But the Spurs didn't do the hard part yet. Winning the lottery and then taking the franchise player isn't hard. It's not a foolproof plan, and of course tanking is painful. But they got lucky and made the obvious choice so far. Actually turning that blue chip into a title team is going to define Wright's career with the team. Despite the initial assumptions fans might make, I don't know that the Spurs execs have much experience with that. They inherited a title contender and drafted a ready-made superstar. They know about maintaining a dynasty, but building that early development core and transitioning that core into a contender -- that remains to be seen. It's very possible the team continues to take a passive approach and that that doesn't end up being the ideal solution. I think there's plenty of room for nuanced discussion around the balance between building sustainably and capitalizing on the assets the team has.
You might be right about this, but to be fair, every other player in this draft not named Victor Wembanyama comes with significant question marks about their game. How the hell do you know what to add to a 22-win team that just added Amen Thompson who can't fucking shoot? I think there's a shot for the Spurs to be pretty good with Victor, but I wouldn't feel the same if they had gotten anyone else from this draft class. The most complete player in the top five is the one guy most people thought the Spurs wouldn't draft under any circumstances. It's entirely possible that if the Spurs didn't win the lottery that we're still going back and forth about why they traded down.

Chinook
07-03-2023, 07:28 AM
You might be right about this, but to be fair, every other player in this draft not named Victor Wembanyama comes with significant question marks about their game. How the hell do you know what to add to a 22-win team that just added Amen Thompson who can't fucking shoot? I think there's a shot for the Spurs to be pretty good with Victor, but I wouldn't feel the same if they had gotten anyone else from this draft class. The most complete player in the top five is the one guy most people thought the Spurs wouldn't draft under any circumstances. It's entirely possible that if the Spurs didn't win the lottery that we're still going back and forth about why they traded down.

Yeah, like I absolutely don't mean the Spurs would be the same after drafting Thompson or trading down. The result of switching them out for Wemby is huge. But I think it's quite likely that the Spurs would've still opted for the slow deliberate plan in free agency with only tiny trades to get over the cap floor and avoiding dealing any of their major guys. That team would've likely been worse than this one. But the FO would've taken that worse result still anticipating needing another high draft pick versus this one likely being okay with a pick in the middle of the draft. And I think that a lot of fans would've accepted that reasoning. Hell, I remember many of us anticipating a much longer tank before the lottery broke the way it did. I just think that while the framing would be very different, the result would've been the same.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 07:32 AM
Yeah, like I absolutely don't mean the Spurs would be the same after drafting Thompson or trading down. The result of switching them out for Wemby is huge. But I think it's quite likely that the Spurs would've still opted for the slow deliberate plan in free agency with only tiny trades to get over the cap floor and avoiding dealing any of their major guys. That team would've likely been worse than this one. But the FO would've taken that worse result still anticipating needing another high draft pick versus this one likely being okay with a pick in the middle of the draft. And I think that a lot of fans would've accepted that reasoning. Hell, I remember many of us anticipating a much longer tank before the lottery broke the way it did. I just think that while the framing would be very different, the result would've been the same.

That's probably correct. I think, no matter who they got, I'd still think there were too many question marks to this team to make any big commitments to this lame free-agent class. I'd definitely want to see how the youngsters look in summer league.

rascal
07-03-2023, 08:57 AM

Great post

Do people really believe next year after the Spurs "See what they have" the spurs are suddenly going to go all in making trades and being aggressive to get the best team they can get.

Most likely the patient approach will still apply. It will be more of the same, conservative moves, with little to no risk and maintain a slow but still uncertain build of the team.

BacktoBasics
07-03-2023, 09:10 AM
Great post

Do people really believe next year after the Spurs "See what they have" the spurs are suddenly going to go all in making trades and being aggressive to get the best team they can get.

Most likely the patient approach will still apply. It will be more of the same, conservative moves, with little to no risk and maintain a slow but still uncertain build of the team.

I think by next year they'll have a better understanding of the 6-7 project players the Spurs have accumulated. That alone will clear a lot of things up and create a better understanding of what the team needs.

Extra Stout
07-03-2023, 09:11 AM
Great post

I think in 2024 they’ll know which players they will be willing to put on the trading block. Whether those players will have much value is a different question.

The 2024 free agent class appears underwhelming.

They seem to be on course for two lottery picks in 2024, with which to draft a point guard and another BPA. While there is no generational talent available, there could be second-star caliber guys available. If they are afraid their guy will go higher than their first pick, they’ve got the assets to move up to go get him.

MannyIsGod
07-03-2023, 09:12 AM

100000000000000% agree with this.

One of the main problems I have with this approach is that they seemingly refuse to try to pick up any young assets of use outside of the draft. If the 2nd star is already on this team, then I think they will be fine, but if not they're going to have to turn some of these assets into that caliber of a player via trade and they don't seem to have an idea of how to do that. I just have no faith that in today's NBA we're going to see the Spurs (or really almost any other team) sign a player of that caliber via free agency. The CBA's have just murdered the utility of having open space to sign a free agent.

MannyIsGod
07-03-2023, 09:16 AM
I think in 2024 they’ll know which players they will be willing to put on the trading block. Whether those players will have much value is a different question.

The 2024 free agent class appears underwhelming.

They seem to be on course for two lottery picks in 2024, with which to draft a point guard and another BPA. While there is no generational talent available, there could be second-star caliber guys available. If they are afraid their guy will go higher than their first pick, they’ve got the assets to move up to go get him.

I think for the foreseeable future all free agent classes will be underwhelming. Why go to free agency when you can sign your big ass extension and just ask for a trade after? You're just leaving money on the table.

tbdog
07-03-2023, 09:19 AM
^ this. Gone are the days when free agency is a thing. Teams are just offering big extensions

Ocotillo
07-03-2023, 09:25 AM
Anyone expecting a 180 after this coming season hasn't been paying attention. I would not be surprised if they have someone they specifically target next offseason because they see the need for fit.

Maybe they realize they have to make a hard choice that there isn't room in the rotation for Sochan and KJ and broach that this coming offseason.

They do get a blessing of Wenbanyama to help sell tickets otherwise they would face the challenge of selling tickets this year. That may go a ways in explaining why Houston through money around like a drunken sailor which which at a minimum should sell some seats and deliver a better record that last season.

Much is made of culture and often ridiculed but post Nephew and with all the divas these days demanding to be traded, I would offer culture isn't just about avoiding Primo type issues or Miles Bridges type of issues but the high dollar player that wants out and is much harder for a small market to recover from.

Eaglenole2002
07-03-2023, 09:38 AM
Great post

I think it’s about clarity. This team is young. I see little harm in letting this play out for a bit. My only disappointment of this offseason was the inability to move up for a combo/lead guard. Maybe there wasn’t a reasonable deal to be made there. I really like the idea of seeing this team grow together when they aren’t clearly trying to lose games.

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 09:45 AM
next year we will draft 3 rookies. Then we first gotta see what we have in them before we trade for the right players :lol

K...
07-03-2023, 10:02 AM
Maybe they had a plan but houston blew the market. Would be better is houston did less and the spurs more.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 10:11 AM

It’s always nice when i agree with Chinook since i know he will take the time to put out something like this so i don’t have to come up with a half assed snarky version of it

as for the bolded, i think the transition from the duncan centric teams (basically the first 2 chips), to the more balanced "big 3" teams (second 2 chips), and then most notably, to the "beautiful game" team... showed quite a bit. the vision they had with kawhi, green, splitter, etc speaks to their ability to build around a star, or in the case of that team, a constellation

Mugen
07-03-2023, 10:32 AM
Some of these Sniffers think we're asking for a Dame Lillard trade or to throw 130mil at FVV...I just want a Plumlee 2yr deal at this point :lol

exstatic
07-03-2023, 10:38 AM
next year we will draft 3 rookies. Then we first gotta see what we have in them before we trade for the right players :lol

I think the chances that they draft 3 rookies for the second time in three years approaches zero.

Mr. Body
07-03-2023, 10:50 AM
Maybe they had a plan but houston blew the market. Would be better is houston did less and the spurs more.

Assuming Brook Lopez was always staying with Milwaukee, what player(s) did you want and could improve the team?

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 11:02 AM

I think it's becoming clear that, barring some kind of home run signing or deal, the cap is the floor.

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 11:05 AM
I think the chances that they draft 3 rookies for the second time in three years approaches zero.

of course, but the question is: what will they do with those draft picks then? Spurs also have 3 second round picks. More millions to make while keeping the cap dry:flag:

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 11:06 AM
of course, but the question is: what will they do with those draft picks then? Spurs also have 3 second round picks. More millions to make while keeping the cap dry:flag:
we'll just trade them for multiple future SRPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAKOWcs8w54

tesseractive
07-03-2023, 11:14 AM
Some of these Sniffers think we're asking for a Dame Lillard trade or to throw 130mil at FVV...I just want a Plumlee 2yr deal at this point :lol
Shoring up the rotation like that makes a ton more sense than making a "big move."

K...
07-03-2023, 11:21 AM
Assuming Brook Lopez was always staying with Milwaukee, what player(s) did you want and could improve the team?

Really, thats not my job, this was a bad FA period. Everyone good is being overpaid.

BacktoBasics
07-03-2023, 11:27 AM
100000000000000% agree with this.

One of the main problems I have with this approach is that they seemingly refuse to try to pick up any young assets of use outside of the draft. If the 2nd star is already on this team, then I think they will be fine, but if not they're going to have to turn some of these assets into that caliber of a player via trade and they don't seem to have an idea of how to do that. I just have no faith that in today's NBA we're going to see the Spurs (or really almost any other team) sign a player of that caliber via free agency. The CBA's have just murdered the utility of having open space to sign a free agent.

If it remains to be seen that we already have a 2nd star and everyone is comfortable reconciling the idea that we should fully evaluate all our players (along with Wemby) then whats the rush.

There was no 2nd star available to begin with and most of didn't feel all that strong about the draft after pick 3. There weren't any star free agents either. There's potential for player movement all the way up to the trade deadline. I don't see why we need to act with urgency over being patient.

Ariel
07-03-2023, 11:28 AM
Wow, reading some of the takes in this thread you'd think we'd have gone through some "Philly process" of sorts. Fact of the matter is the Spurs have tanked for only ONE SEASON. Before that the Spurs were always trying to win, they just didn't have enough but it wasn't for lack of trying. I would have blown it up sooner (though in hindsight it's easy to say it was the right time because we landed Wemby), and I think some of the anxiety here is a reflection on those seasons wearing people's patience, plus a sense of entitlement from the winning years.
Not making a big move in a whole month doesn't mean the Spurs aren't being active (in what? a whole month?), it just means they didn't find an opportunity they liked, and no smart buyer is desperately trying to spend the second they have the assets to do so. Personally I would have made some minor moves (suggested Plumlee and Monte Morris several times), but it's clear the Spurs are putting themselves in position to do something more substantial, and thus the collection of expiring contracts (something like 51.2M, of which only Zach Collins and maybe McDermott should be brought back) and draft picks (20 second rounders? really think they are meant to be used? )
All in all, I think people need to take a step back and be specific at which opportunities the Spurs have not taken advantage of, before overreacting. I don't see any substantial missed opportunity, maybe a minor one here and there (I mentioned Monte Morris) but overall it's perfectly reasonable to stand pat until something juicy comes along, which may be tomorrow or at the trade deadline. When you're in a rush to buy, you're bound to make something you'll regret, and the Spurs want to make sure they have a better sense of where they stand before, which seems like the sensible move.

ace3g
07-03-2023, 11:28 AM
2m
Free agent point guard Dalano Banton has agreed to a two-year contract with the Boston Celtics, sources tell @TheAthletic @stadum. Agent Aaron Turner of @VerusTeam negotiated the deal

ace3g
07-03-2023, 11:29 AM
2m
Minnesota Timberwolves star Anthony Edwards has agreed on a five-year designated rookie maximum deal that could be worth $260 million, his agents Bill Duffy and Joe Branch of WME tell ESPN

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-03-2023, 11:34 AM
I’m not the biggest fan of the ultra conservative approach but I find it funny that on ST of all places people are bitching that the FO hasn’t signed vets to take playing time from the young guys.

Dverde
07-03-2023, 11:37 AM
I’m hoping for another Raptors suicide mission trade like the Nephew trade, but for Dame. I really hope he doesn’t go to the Heat.

slick'81
07-03-2023, 11:37 AM
I’m not the biggest fan of the ultra conservative approach but I find it funny that on ST of all places people are bitching that the FO hasn’t signed vets to take playing time from the young guys.

The whole goal for the spurs this season is to "see what they have " and no fckn colossal mistakes :loletc.There are soo many young guys you might as well play em and make changes as u go

Mugen
07-03-2023, 11:39 AM
2m
Minnesota Timberwolves star Anthony Edwards has agreed on a five-year designated rookie maximum deal that could be worth $260 million, his agents Bill Duffy and Joe Branch of WME tell ESPN

Just a gut feeling that Devins contract extension is going to be pretty messy tbh. I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as people here are expecting, hopefully I’m wrong tbh

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Just a gut feeling that Devins contract extension is going to be pretty messy tbh. I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as people here are expecting, hopefully I’m wrong tbh

I think so too. He might just gamble on hitting restricted FA. The Spurs are probably trying to be cheap as usual trying to bring the salary number down due to his knee injury while he thinks he can up his scoring average and get something closer to 150 than 100 million.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Especially after a season where Pop gave TONS of minutes to young guys and many of them look like they might be on the verge of making a leap.

I honestly can't think of a better way to guarantee your young players work hard in the off season than to give them minutes and make them believe they can earn more minutes by improving.

kobyz
07-03-2023, 11:45 AM
top remaining FAs:
1. Grant Williams
2. Kelly Oubre Jr.
3. Christian Wood
4. Matisse Thybulle
5. Paul Reed
6. PJ Washington
7. Ayo Dosunmu
8. Jaylen Nowell
9. Mason Plumlee
10. Dario Saric
11. Terence Davis
12. Malik Beasley
13. Trendon Watford
14. Anthony Lamb
15. Torrey Craig
16. JaMychal Green
17. TJ Warren
18. Terrence Ross
19. Kendrick Nunn
20. Bismack Biyombo
21. Mo Bamba
22. Darius Bazley
23. Will Barton
24. Justise Winslow
25. Javonte Green
26. Derrick Jones Jr.
27. Juan Tuscano-Anderson
28. Hamidou Diallo
29. Romeo Langford
30. John Wall
31. Aaron Holiday
32. Omer Yurtseven
33. Dalano Banton
34. Wenyen Gabriel
35. R.J. Hampton
36. Josh Primo
37. Markieff Morris
38. Blake Griffin
39. Danny Green
40. George Hill
41. Raul Neto
42. Austin Rivers
43. Wesley Matthews
44. Taj Gibson
45. Robin Lopez
46. Dewayne Dedmon
47. Frank Ntilikina
48. Rodney McGruder
49. Svi Mykhailiuk
50. Boban Marjanovic

Ariel
07-03-2023, 11:45 AM
It depends. If those 3 picks fall within the lottery and they like all three, they might. They'll just have to do a cleanup first and let go of whichever youngsters didn't meet expectations (among Bassey, Barlow, Cissoko, Wesley, etc), but by this time next year Wemby, Sochan and Branham shouldn't be considered prospects but solid contributors, so coupled with the many roster spots that will open up (given how many expiring contracts there are) I don't see why we couldn't take on 2 rookies (and maybe 3 if they like what's out there).

Ariel
07-03-2023, 11:47 AM
top remaining FAs:
7. Ayo Dosunmu
9. Mason Plumlee
Of the bunch I'd consider those 2 (at the right price)

duncan2150
07-03-2023, 11:47 AM

The thing imo is that vassell is nowhere near players who have big extensions these days, he did not have a good complete season already ( bane had two for example)

if you want to extend him at a good price you need to do it before the season

Degoat
07-03-2023, 11:48 AM
top remaining FAs:
1. Grant Williams
2. Kelly Oubre Jr.
3. Christian Wood
4. Matisse Thybulle
5. Paul Reed
6. PJ Washington
7. Ayo Dosunmu
8. Jaylen Nowell
9. Mason Plumlee
10. Dario Saric
11. Terence Davis
12. Malik Beasley
13. Trendon Watford
14. Anthony Lamb
15. Torrey Craig
16. JaMychal Green
17. TJ Warren
18. Terrence Ross
19. Kendrick Nunn
20. Bismack Biyombo
21. Mo Bamba
22. Darius Bazley
23. Will Barton
24. Justise Winslow
25. Javonte Green
26. Derrick Jones Jr.
27. Juan Tuscano-Anderson
28. Hamidou Diallo
29. Romeo Langford
30. John Wall
31. Aaron Holiday
32. Omer Yurtseven
33. Dalano Banton
34. Wenyen Gabriel
35. R.J. Hampton
36. Josh Primo
37. Markieff Morris
38. Blake Griffin
39. Danny Green
40. George Hill
41. Raul Neto
42. Austin Rivers
43. Wesley Matthews
44. Taj Gibson
45. Robin Lopez
46. Dewayne Dedmon
47. Frank Ntilikina
48. Rodney McGruder
49. Svi Mykhailiuk
50. Boban Marjanovic

Probably won’t happen for the spurs but out of all those guys Ayo Donsumu, has a bright future imo

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 11:59 AM
The Primo kid is pretty intriguing. I wonder why nobody has picked him up yet, some team drafted him at #12 two years ago. I heard his D is scary

kobyz
07-03-2023, 11:59 AM
Probably won’t happen for the spurs but out of all those guys Ayo Donsumu, has a bright future imo

we should have put 10mil on him and not on the second coming of Haywoode Workman, still puzzled by this...

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 12:00 PM
I think so too. He might just gamble on hitting restricted FA. The Spurs are probably trying to be cheap as usual trying to bring the salary number down due to his knee injury while he thinks he can up his scoring average and get something closer to 150 than 100 million.
doubt he gambles to become RFA. one injury and his value is shot and with spurs having the ability to match offers, he could end up in a situation where teams are just reluctant to tie up their cap space with an offer sheet (something we saw play out this year with He Who Shall Not Be Mentioned), who was a better player than Vassell to this point and with a much more affordable max available.

Bane didnt get the max (though he got a lot), but he's also simply been better than vassell. better volume scorer, more efficient scorer, better passer, and even a better defender. vassell was billed as a 3 & D with upside but Bane has been better at 3's and at D :lol. bane had the 2nd highest RPM of all SG's last year after Mitchell. i dont think vassell can point to bane as a template at all.

my thought was getting vassell at something like 4/85 or 4/90 would be fine. he wanted 25 per i'd say it would have to come on a 5th year, so something like 5/125 otherwise. obviously with rising cap numbers, those could all be adjusted upward somewhat, but i dont think vassell is seen as this sure thing future all-star around the league.

if vassell really wanted to point at someone to get a better deal it probably would be Herro, who signed 4/130. i know ST hates herro, but herro was more dynamic and effective than vassell thus far, as well. the reason we love vassell is because we can still see the upside. he has more physical tools than herro, but we cant act like he's already put it together

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 12:06 PM
The Primo kid is pretty intriguing. I wonder why nobody has picked him up yet, some team drafted him at #12 two years ago. I heard his D is scary
eh he's shown some flashes but not enough to justify a signing

Ariel
07-03-2023, 12:46 PM
He catches you off guard and there's nothing that can be done to stop him. He's used to shocking people.

Leetonidas
07-03-2023, 12:47 PM

I think he was exposed as a bust tbh

Ariel
07-03-2023, 12:51 PM
Jalen Green (https://twitter.com/hashtag/JalenGreen?src=hashtag_click) wouldn't let him go to waste. Perfect match.

Mugen
07-03-2023, 12:57 PM
doubt he gambles to become RFA. one injury and his value is shot and with spurs having the ability to match offers, he could end up in a situation where teams are just reluctant to tie up their cap space with an offer sheet (something we saw play out this year with He Who Shall Not Be Mentioned), who was a better player than Vassell to this point and with a much more affordable max available.

Bane didnt get the max (though he got a lot), but he's also simply been better than vassell. better volume scorer, more efficient scorer, better passer, and even a better defender. vassell was billed as a 3 & D with upside but Bane has been better at 3's and at D :lol. bane had the 2nd highest RPM of all SG's last year after Mitchell. i dont think vassell can point to bane as a template at all.

my thought was getting vassell at something like 4/85 or 4/90 would be fine. he wanted 25 per i'd say it would have to come on a 5th year, so something like 5/125 otherwise. obviously with rising cap numbers, those could all be adjusted upward somewhat, but i dont think vassell is seen as this sure thing future all-star around the league.

if vassell really wanted to point at someone to get a better deal it probably would be Herro, who signed 4/130. i know ST hates herro, but herro was more dynamic and effective than vassell thus far, as well. the reason we love vassell is because we can still see the upside. he has more physical tools than herro, but we cant act like he's already put it together

Yeah Herro was what came to mind when I was thinking about what he’d want. FO will obviously want it closer to Keldons #. That’s a pretty big gulf. Landing at 4/100mil wouldn’t shock me tbh.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 12:59 PM
Yeah Herro was what came to mind when I was thinking about what he’d want. FO will obviously want it closer to Keldons #. That’s a pretty big gulf. Landing at 4/100mil wouldn’t shock me tbh.
if he's going to want that average salary then i think a mandatory bargaining point has to become making the deal frontloaded

keldon got his deal coming off a season where he put up 17/6/2 but on solid shooting efficiency and had proven to be a durable player. vassell is is coming off 18.5/4/3.5 on comparable efficiency, but also a year where he suited up for less than half the games. keldon got 4/74. vassell is definitely better positioned for a contract than keldon was, but not by twice the amount imo

DPG21920
07-03-2023, 01:16 PM
Chinook is spot on. And again, I’m very pro FO and Wright for the job they’ve done until this point. They avoided critical mistakes (sure they waited a little long to reach conclusion but it didn’t harm Sa) , really finally started executing on trade market which they largely ignored as a tool in the tool belt and still drafted pretty damn well

But they clearly lack some deep rooted imagination. While I agree with cautious is best, especially in first year with lots of exciting youth to develop and see who is who, there’s absolutely no way to slice through the fact SA had A TON of assets between cap space, young players and vets and draft picks and couldn’t find a way to use those things to truly and meaningfully improve their team and/or future outlook for success next 2-3 years.

Like I said they did 85/90% great stuff and nothing is truly lost yet opportunity wise; so we have to keep that in mind. But the doubt about “do they have the brain power, vision and creativity to execute building a sustainable contender “ does creep in some with how wasteful of opportunities they are with a trove of assets at their disposal

It’s one thing to build slow which I agree is best path; it’s another to not be shrewd assassins in turning over every single stone for value and asset accumulation

That’s the part that plants some seeds of doubt even though it’s too early to get alarmed. Nuance.

Ariel
07-03-2023, 01:17 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1675931099761877001

Free agent C Mason Plumlee has agreed on a one-year, $5 million deal to return to the LA Clippers, agent Mark Bartelstein of @Prioritysports (https://twitter.com/PrioritySports) tells ESPN.Plumlee landed with Clippers at deadline and decides to stay with LA despite bigger financial offers elsewhere.
My two favorite budget vets (Plumlee and Monte Morris) went for peanuts. F*ck

Mugen
07-03-2023, 01:18 PM
:lol Jesus they couldn’t even get Plumlee

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 01:20 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1675931099761877001

My two favorite budget vets (Plumlee and Monte Morris) went for peanuts. F*ck
wait, thats all it took? :lmao

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 01:20 PM
thank god

had to avoid the big costly mistakes

like a guy who settled for 1/5. im sure he took less to stay in a situation he liked, but how much less?

LeBowen
07-03-2023, 01:22 PM
Expected Spurstalk reaction. :lmao

DPG21920
07-03-2023, 01:22 PM

I want both. I want Sa to trade Doug for legit value knowing you can replace him via FA or trade and be same roster but richer in draft capital etc.

It’s the money under the mattress vs investing mentality. You can keep money in bank earning no interest and “risk free” or you can invest it and put it to work for you.

And the risk free part is a bit misleading because with inflation and everything else you’re actually losing purchasing power but at least the money is there nominally

To me it’s just a mentality thing. But tbh I’d rather them be a little too risk adverse than stupid so I won’t complain too much about it since Sa is in a great spot

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 01:23 PM

wait, thats all it took? :lmao
:lol they just said he got bigger offers elsewhere

Mugen
07-03-2023, 01:25 PM
So the C rotation is Collins with a long injury history, Bassey, Mamu and Barlow? :lol

You’re telling me they couldn’t have thrown a 1yr/10mil contract at Jock or Plumlee? They’re gonna bring in Joffrey 2.0, and the sniff crew is gonna go there’s your off-season signing like it was enough. What an fn joke :lol

spurraider21
I want both. I want Sa to trade Doug for legit value knowing you can replace him via FA or trade and be same roster but richer in draft capital etc.

It’s the money under the mattress vs investing mentality. You can keep money in bank earning no interest and “risk free” or you can invest it and put it to work for you.

And the risk free part is a bit misleading because with inflation and everything else you’re actually losing purchasing power but at least the money is there nominally

To me it’s just a mentality thing. But tbh I’d rather them be a little too risk adverse than stupid so I won’t complain too much about it since Sa is in a great spot
doug has definitely been overpaid, but im not sure its actually that easy to replace him. its not just a matter of looking down the league leaders page and finding a guy who shoots 3's near 40% at his size. its the volume, the quality of shot, the movement necessary to generate his looks, etc. its a less common skill than people think. its why belinelli stuck around too

NASpurs
Jeff Ayres lurks.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 01:27 PM
:lol they just said he got bigger offers elsewhere
we're dragging our feet to reach the floor, let alone the cap :lol

coulda just sold some SRPs if it wasnt in Holt's budget to offer him even more than we did

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 01:32 PM
we're dragging our feet to reach the floor, let alone the cap :lol

coulda just sold some SRPs if it wasnt in Holt's budget to offer him even more than we did

What did we offer him?

Vic Petro
07-03-2023, 01:32 PM
Not many centers left on the market, we might be in for a surprise. Ioannis Bourousis?

TD 21
07-03-2023, 01:34 PM
Good. With Plumlee officially off the board, that takes care of the final free agent rim running C, who'd have been guaranteed a rotation spot, to further clog up the offense and limit some of the younger bigs.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 01:34 PM
What did we offer him?
not enough

ace3g
07-03-2023, 01:37 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
41m
Free agent F Torrey Craig has agreed on a two-year contract with the Chicago Bulls, sources tell ESPN. Deal includes a player option. Craig averaged 7.4 points and 5.4 rebounds in 24 minutes for Suns last season.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 01:38 PM
not enoughWhat did you want to pay him and for what role?

Mr. Body
07-03-2023, 01:40 PM
Plumlee had better offers but wanted to stay. Here's where ST insists on how they could have forced him to make a different decision.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 01:41 PM
What did you want to pay him and for what role?
given that we arent even approaching the cap, it wouldnt have made much a difference if we threw 2 million at him or 20 million for the year. i know plumlee turned down bigger offers, but i dont think you had to approach 20 to get him. maybe im wrong there. ill own that the possibility exists that plumlee was so happy with LAC that he signed 1/5 there and would have turned down even 1/15 from SAS. i just dont think its likely

think if everything we've heard is true about the FO not wanting Wemby to play much center (at least early on), it made sense to have somebody in addition to Zollins in place ready to take on that more traditional big man role. last year we had the poeltl/collins rotation until the poeltl trade. right now the closest thing we have to that role is Bassey. i think PATFO likes bassey, and i'm cool with that. but he's not proven, and would much rather have an established player there in case bassey doesnt make the big leap we all want him to

at this point we're in the same position as last year. a lot of unused cap space. last year we looked and looked for avenues to rent cap space for assets and didnt do anything of the sort other than Dedmon. i hope they get something done this year.

its just throwing away value otherwise. you can defer picks by trading them for future picks. you cant defer or roll over cap space. if you dont use it, its a wasted asset

TekXX
07-03-2023, 01:43 PM
lol Plumlee could've had a mansion in San Antonio and 1,000's of acres of land instead he gets a 1,500 home in LA

TekXX
07-03-2023, 01:44 PM
I think it's pretty obvious now that we're just shooting for another top 10 pick here, who will be the tank commander?

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 01:46 PM
given that we arent even approaching the cap, it wouldnt have made much a difference if we threw 2 million at him or 20 million for the yearI mean sure, it wouldn't have made any difference to you how much of the Spurs money you spend. What would have been realistic?

think if everything we've heard is true about the FO not wanting Wemby to play much center (at least early on), it made sense to have somebody in addition to Zollins in place ready to take on that more traditional big man role. last year we had the poeltl/collins rotation until the poeltl trade. right now the closest thing we have to that role is Bassey. i think PATFO likes bassey, and i'm cool with that. but he's not proven, and would much rather have an established player there in case bassey doesnt make the big leap we all want him toHis role in LA is backup center on a playoff team. Being rented as training wheels for a year seems less attractive.

JuneJive
07-03-2023, 01:46 PM
Zubac & Claxton would be great if the Spurs are one of the teams in the Lillard/Harden scenarios.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 01:47 PM
I mean sure, it wouldn't have made any difference to you how much of the Spurs money you spend. What would have been realistic?
if the spurs budget doesnt even get as high as the nba salary cap, we have a lot bigger issues than what's being discussed

His role in LA is backup center on a playoff team. Being rented as training wheels for a year seems less attractive.
https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExcnZzZTg5ZjBqbGFmbHN3ZmluMzNydmc 3OGt4aG5pNGpqeGRhMzc1bCZlcD12MV9naWZzX3NlYXJjaCZjd D1n/i403Pt2qLim6k/giphy.gif

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 01:48 PM
if the spurs budget doesnt even get as high as the nba salary cap, we have a lot bigger issues than what's being discussedYeah people keep saying that -- but what does that actually mean? I think the floor is pretty much the cap this season. Are fans going to jump ship if that turns out to be the case?

https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExcnZzZTg5ZjBqbGFmbHN3ZmluMzNydmc 3OGt4aG5pNGpqeGRhMzc1bCZlcD12MV9naWZzX3NlYXJjaCZjd D1n/i403Pt2qLim6k/giphy.gif
How much?

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 01:48 PM
I didn't follow the Mavs. Is Wood worth throwing a bit of money at or is he empty calories?

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 01:52 PM
I didn't follow the Mavs. Is Wood worth throwing a bit of money at or is he empty calories?
nope. we have to avoid costly mistakes

TekXX
07-03-2023, 01:53 PM
Holt LLC: "Paying anything is a costly mistake"

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 01:57 PM
Yeah people keep saying that -- but what does that actually mean? I think the floor is pretty much the cap this season.
it means we're operating out of even more of a competitive disadvantage than anybody here had thought

that sucks tbh

its like the scene in moneyball where brad pitt has to explain "the problem"

Are fans going to jump ship if that turns out to be the case?
everybody here stuck around through a fucking tank year :lol

does that mean we should smile and say thank you when operating as a poverty franchise? this is the kind of stuff that could drive stars away. theres no guarantee wemby will be a duncan. its concerning is all. two years in a row starts making this a trend

Kurik
07-03-2023, 01:58 PM
Twenty Questions with ChumpDumper

DPG21920
07-03-2023, 01:59 PM
doug has definitely been overpaid, but im not sure its actually that easy to replace him. its not just a matter of looking down the league leaders page and finding a guy who shoots 3's near 40% at his size. its the volume, the quality of shot, the movement necessary to generate his looks, etc. its a less common skill than people think. its why belinelli stuck around too

That’s not the point imo. Spurs clearly don’t value winning now so replacing him just means a good vet that gets the minutes he already had.

If they were winning? Agree 100%

But they aren’t and can use their tools for their future while not sacrificing core things like a good vet replacement in locker room and on court.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 01:59 PM
it means we're operating out of even more of a competitive disadvantage than anybody here had thought

that sux tbh

everybody here stuck around through a fucking tank year :lol

does that mean we should smile and say thank you when operating as a poverty franchise? this is the kind of stuff that could drive stars away. theres no guaranteed wemby will be a duncan. its concerning is all.
IOW you're not jumping ship. The ownership group thanks you for your continued support.

DPG21920
07-03-2023, 02:01 PM

Nope. He’s young and talented and can’t stick anywhere due to attitude and locker room issues seemingly. Red flags big time and spurs can’t risk adding something toxic to locker room imo. That’s one risk not to take

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 02:02 PM
That’s not the point imo. Spurs clearly don’t value winning now so replacing him just means a good vet that gets the minutes he already had.

But they aren’t and can use their tools for their future while not sacrificing core things like a good vet replacement in locker room and on court.
yeah i definitely thinking moving mcdermott is the move. i just wonder what we can really expect by way of compensation. teams have been way more stingy with picks in recent years. if josh richardson couldnt net a first, im skeptical mdcermott will.

guess we just just pile on to the mountain of SRPs we can sell for cash later. maybe that way we can hit the floor one of these years

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 02:02 PM
IOW you're not jumping ship. The ownership group thanks you for your continued support.
this is the "you participate in society" meme in sports fanhood form

congratulations

guys, if you're here on spurstalk, make sure you effusively praise everything the team does. unless you are willing to abandon your fanhood, please refrain from having any criticism over what is happening. thank you.

Joseph Kony
07-03-2023, 02:05 PM
nope. we have to avoid costly mistakes

Holt probably saw the salary for the #1 pick after Wemby signed and was like nope, no more of that :lol

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 02:06 PM

Yeah, if we're just getting someone to take abuse from bigger centers for Wemby this season, Grogu Dieng is always ready. If we want someone who might be able to do that going forward, maybe Bamba.

Or maybe just roll with the platoon that's there now because the Spurs will be in the lottery again whether you added Plumlee or not.

exstatic
07-03-2023, 02:08 PM
The thing imo is that vassell is nowhere near players who have big extensions these days, he did not have a good complete season already ( bane had two for example)

if you want to extend him at a good price you need to do it before the season

An extension on a rookie deal has to be done before the season in any case, per the CBA.

Kurik
07-03-2023, 02:10 PM

congratulations

guys, if you're here on spurstalk, make sure you effusively praise everything the team does. unless you are willing to abandon your fanhood, please refrain from having any criticism over what is happening. thank you.

I promise to listen to everything the Spurs say and only discuss things that happened in the last hour.

Biggems
07-03-2023, 02:12 PM
Man, Christian Wood must have fallen completely out of favor with the league. He was good in Detroit and had a good first year with Houston. Now, it is like he has Covid and no one wants to get near him.

Mugen
07-03-2023, 02:12 PM
Some real Sniff gems since they won the lottery tbh:

-"They tried to trade back into the 1st round but the cost was too high" (Mavs easily traded back in with SAC)
-Trading #33 makes a lot of sense because Sidy is probably on a two-way (Sidy is on a fully guaranteed contract)
-Spurs should wait until July 6th to make an offer to Reaves, he'll definitely wait it out until then (Reaves signs on July 2nd at a heavy discount)
-Mamu not getting a QO isn't a cheap move, they're working on something big (No other moves besides bringing Manu back for a few hundred K cheaper)
-Spurs are being smart by not giving out huge money and locking up a bunch of years to FAs (Vet deals and 1yr contracts to a ton of guys that would have helped the roster and not even get in the way of the young guys)

:lol "Uhhh we like what we have"

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 02:14 PM

congratulations

guys, if you're here on spurstalk, make sure you effusively praise everything the team does. unless you are willing to abandon your fanhood, please refrain from having any criticism over what is happening. thank you.Nah, I'm presenting what I think is the ownership group's calculus and what they think fans will do -- and that includes you.

My guess is they see this as probably the only opportunity to maximize profits by spending nothing more they they are obligated. There may have been signings and deals they could squint at and see might have been worth it -- that's why the cap was preserved for a bit with the Mamu QO mini-drama. Those pie in the sky scenarios disappeared quickly so now it looks like PATFO is working under an apparent floor-is-cap directive for this season unless some incredible opportunity presents itself.

You can criticize it all you want as long as you want. I'm not here to stop you. I'm just saying what I think is happening. So far, everything they've done and haven't done fits. I may want things to have been different, but here we are.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 02:15 PM
Some real Sniff gems since they won the lottery tbh:

-"They tried to trade back into the 1st round but the cost was too high" (Mavs easily traded back in with SAC)
-Trading #33 makes a lot of sense because Sidy is probably on a two-way (Sidy is on a fully guaranteed contract)
-Spurs should wait until July 6th to make an offer to Reaves, he'll definitely wait it out until then (Reaves signs on July 2nd at a heavy discount)
-Mamu not getting a QO isn't a cheap move, they're working on something big (No other moves besides bringing Manu back for a few hundred K cheaper)
-Spurs are being smart by not giving out huge money and locking up a bunch of years to FAs (Vet deals and 1yr contracts to a ton of guys that would have helped the roster and not even get in the way of the young guys)

:lol "Uhhh we like what we have"
"our operating budget is probably right at the salary floor, but unless you are willing to abandon your fanhood, shut the fuck up about it already"

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 02:16 PM
"our operating budget is probably right at the salary floor, but unless you are willing to abandon your fanhood, shut the fuck up about it already"

No one ever told you to shut the fuck up.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 02:18 PM
Nah, I'm presenting what I think is the ownership group's calculus and what they think fans will do -- and that includes you.

My guess is they see this as probably the only opportunity to maximize profits by spending nothing more they they are obligated. There may have been signings and deals they could squint at and see might have been worth it -- that's why the cap was preserved for a bit with the Mamu QO mini-drama. Those pie in the sky scenarios disappeared quickly so now it looks like PATFO is working under an apparent floor-is-cap directive for this season unless some incredible opportunity presents itself.

You can criticize it all you want as long as you want. I'm not here to stop you. I'm just saying what I think is happening. So far, everything they've done and haven't done fits. I may want things to have been different, but here we are.
this is all just terrible stuff tbh

why would any superstar want to play here?

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 02:19 PM
this is all just terrible stuff tbh

why would any superstar want to play here?And yet, Wemby does.

He seems pretty optimistic about the season, doesn't he?

LeBowen
07-03-2023, 02:21 PM
Mason Plumlee is the only Clipper free agent with Bird rights. Alternative big man option would’ve been at the minimum since they don’t have the mid-level exception.
$5M signing costs $30M in payroll and added tax penalties. They have a $300M roster now.

Ballmer doesn't give a fuck.
$30M for Plumlee. :lmao

Death In June
07-03-2023, 02:22 PM
I’m just curious if there are any quality free agents next year now that the spurs could clear more than 50 million in cap space. Is there one or two names that top this years crop?

Mal
07-03-2023, 02:22 PM
And yet, Wemby does.

He seems pretty optimistic about the season, doesn't he?

Then he realise that cheap/poor owner does not win rings...

Bruno
07-03-2023, 02:23 PM
I’m just curious if there are any quality free agents next year now that the spurs could clear more than 50 million in cap space. Is there one or two names that top this years crop?

Dejounte Murray

duncan2150
07-03-2023, 02:24 PM
An extension on a rookie deal has to be done before the season in any case, per the CBA.

I mean don't wait next summer to extend vassell

Mal
07-03-2023, 02:24 PM

There is always "trade me" free agency possible.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 02:28 PM
Then he realise that cheap/poor owner does not win rings...

But they have.

Several times.

You saw it.

Vince Carter's ankle
07-03-2023, 02:29 PM
So the C rotation is Collins with a long injury history, Bassey, Mamu and Barlow? :lol

You’re telling me they couldn’t have thrown a 1yr/10mil contract at Jock or Plumlee? They’re gonna bring in Joffrey 2.0, and the sniff crew is gonna go there’s your off-season signing like it was enough. What an fn joke :lol
there's one more player on the roster
his last name starts with w and ends with embanyama

Mal
07-03-2023, 02:31 PM
But they have.

Several times.

You saw it.

Which team ? Denver 7th payroll, GSW 1st, Toronto in 19` - 4th, Milwaukee 7th.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 02:32 PM
there's one more player on the roster
his last name starts with w and ends with embanyama

:lol Yeah I don't understand the "Wemby will never play C this season" paradigm people seem to have adopted. It's not the 90s.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 02:33 PM
Which team ? Denver 7th payroll, GSW 1st, Toronto in 19` - 4th, Milwaukee 7th.

What team is listed as "My Team" in your profile?

duncan2150
07-03-2023, 02:33 PM

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2024/ufa/

a little bit similar to this year as jaylen brown will probably extend

Mal
07-03-2023, 02:35 PM
What team is listed as "My Team" in your profile?

It's different NBA now, money is absurd.
Owners are willing to pay 250mil with penalty taxes to keep their 50 mil a year players. Spurs won when whole cap was 50mil. You cannot compete 100mil roster vs 250mil, in league where any player can request a trade to certain team.