PDA

View Full Version : The Titan Submersible Was “an Accident Waiting to Happen”

Winehole23
07-02-2023, 05:30 AM
https://media.newyorker.com/photos/649df383ada160419b41d7d6/master/w_1600%2Cc_limit/Taub-OceanGate-4.jpg

Everyone was drinking Kool-Aid and saying how cool they were with a Sony PlayStation,” he told me. “And I said at the time, ‘Does Sony know that it’s been used for this application? Because, you know, this is not what it was designed for.’ And now you have the hand controller talking to a Wi-Fi unit, which is talking to a black box, which is talking to the sub’s thrusters. There were multiple points of failure.” The system ran on Bluetooth, according to Rush. But, McCallum continued, “every sub in the world has hardwired controls for a reason—that if the signal drops out, you’re not fucked.”

Soon afterward, Rush asked OceanGate’s director of finance and administration whether she’d like to take over as chief submersible pilot. “It freaked me out that he would want me to be head pilot, since my background is in accounting,” she told me. She added that several of the engineers were in their late teens and early twenties, and were at one point being paid fifteen dollars an hour. Without Lochridge around, “I could not work for Stockton,” she said. “I did not trust him.” As soon as she was able to line up a new job, she quit.

McCallum tried to reason with Rush directly. “You are wanting to use a prototype un-classed technology in a very hostile place,” he e-mailed. “As much as I appreciate entrepreneurship and innovation, you are potentially putting an entire industry at risk.”

Rush replied four days later, saying that he had “grown tired of industry players who try to use a safety argument to stop innovation and new entrants from entering their small existing market.” He understood that his approach “flies in the face of the submersible orthodoxy, but that is the nature of innovation,” he wrote. “We have heard the baseless cries of ‘you are going to kill someone’ way too often. I take this as a serious personal insult.”
https://www.newyorker.com/news/a-reporter-at-large/the-titan-submersible-was-an-accident-waiting-to-happen

baseline bum
07-02-2023, 09:14 AM
Should have been tested with poor people first

Tyronn Lue
07-02-2023, 11:53 AM
Did they learn nothing from Jurassic Park?

Trainwreck2100
07-02-2023, 12:21 PM
Should have been tested with poor people first
sounds like he tried, but the poor person was like "nah we good"

Ef-man
07-02-2023, 12:52 PM
Did they learn nothing from Jurassic Park?

Think about it, they used a PlayStation controller.

Everyone knows they were cutting corners and should have used the industry recognized XBox controller!

You press down, press forward, and then press downward by accident and boom, game over!

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 01:03 PM
Stockton Rush (:lol) was the near perfect blend of old money failson privilege and techbro hubris. Some other techbro will have to make another in a lab to improve on him.

Monostradamus
07-02-2023, 01:20 PM
The Titan submersible and Hublot watches - things for people with more money than sense.

CosmicCowboy
07-02-2023, 04:36 PM
The problem wasn't the controller. It was using carbon fiber. Every time carbon fiber is stressed it loses a little of its strength. Stress it over and over like they did and it eventually degrades enough *poof* it implodes. All the other submersible are titanium which doesn't degrade with stress.

Trainwreck2100
07-02-2023, 05:11 PM
Think about it, they used a PlayStation controller.

Everyone knows they were cutting corners and should have used the industry recognized XBox controller!

You press down, press forward, and then press downward by accident and boom, game over!

not just a playstation controller but a logitech ps controller, dude was so cheap he went off brand

florige
07-02-2023, 06:23 PM
not just a playstation controller but a logitech ps controller, dude was so cheap he went off brand

This dude had a master plan. Put together the cheapest human death trap possible and convince dumb people with money to ride it. If he had only not gone cheap on the actual hull he probably would had become super rich off of this

CosmicCowboy
07-02-2023, 06:34 PM
With an implosion at that depth those dudes didn't even know what hit them. The carbon fiber alone would have been like being surrounded by claymore mines going off and the pressure would have pulped what was left.

daboom1
07-02-2023, 06:46 PM
Why is this in the political forum?

ChumpDumper
07-02-2023, 07:26 PM
f:lolrum c:lolp

SnakeBoy
07-02-2023, 07:57 PM
You can criticize the guy all you want but it is this kind of innovation and entrepreneurship that will lead to better subs for billionaire thrill seekers

CosmicCowboy
07-02-2023, 08:20 PM
You can criticize the guy all you want but it is this kind of innovation and entrepreneurship that will lead to better subs for billionaire thrill seekers

So they died heroes figuring out what was stupid.

SnakeBoy
07-02-2023, 08:43 PM
So they died heroes figuring out what was stupid.

Now the next guy knows not to use carbon fiber and instead start with...

https://mining-civil.coerco.com.au/hubfs/2020%20Mining%20and%20Civil/Products/septic%20tanks%20and%20leach%20drains/septic-tanks/large-septic-tanks/sep7000-1.png

baseline bum
07-03-2023, 07:58 AM

Ultimately Stockton Rush was a hero doing the lord's work and it's sad the company will probably not continue in his innovative footsteps.

Blake
07-03-2023, 01:07 PM
Statues incoming