PDA

View Full Version : Summer League Grades: Spurs vs. Hornets - July 3, 2023

timvp
07-03-2023, 11:15 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-hornets-grades-summer-league-1/

Fun way to start things off in summer league. Champagnie looks legit legit. Barlow was so good he made Kai Jones look like a foolhardy amateur.

Good Times©

Extra Stout
07-03-2023, 11:19 PM
I think Wesley’s grade was generous to the point of charity. I lost count how many times he got his lunch eaten in the paint.

Russ
07-03-2023, 11:23 PM
The three guys I wanted to see play together this summer, Wemby, Branham and Sochan, none of them played and the Spurs still cruised.

Looks like we'll have to wait a few months to see Wemby and Sochan get together.

Extra Stout
07-03-2023, 11:28 PM
Should Champagnie get upgraded to A+ for making the #2 pick in the draft look like a chump until garbage time? Or do we already understand that Miller is going to bust?

Mr. Body
07-03-2023, 11:28 PM
Champ and Barlow impress me by the way they talk in interviews. They're so even keeled, like they've been here before, not getting too up, not getting too down. They know there is work to do but they're not flustered, but at the same time not surprised when they do well.

vander
07-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Should Champagnie get upgraded to A+ for making the #2 pick in the draft look like a chump until garbage time? Or do we already understand that Miller is going to bust?

hopefully the former, need Miller to be good so we get Charlotte's pick

Extra Stout
07-03-2023, 11:37 PM
I would have given Sidy a B-. He didn’t fill up the stat sheet but I thought he impacted the game, especially on defense.

Degoat
07-03-2023, 11:42 PM
Impressive win without Wemby, Branham, and Sir’Jabari

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 11:44 PM
I'd give Sidy a grade letter higher because it was his first game. I'd give Wesley a grade lower due to expectations.

The silver lining with Wesley is that he carved out 8 points and 8 assists from that dumpster fire while playing decent defense with his feet.

Ignazzz
07-03-2023, 11:47 PM
Thx for grades.

GAustex
07-03-2023, 11:48 PM
Cissoko is going to be useful and sorry Miss Cleo not as a point guard.
He gave Miller fits and is the right size to guard LeBron and Leonard. Useful

jesterbobman
07-03-2023, 11:53 PM
I think there's grading on play / performance, and grading on flashes (sorry, wrong word...Ugh moments / promise), where you're looking for improved microskills or abilities that you think make it more likely that someone will be able to have a role.

Barlow and Champagnie were both good, and Barlow being able to be the best player on the floor whilst being 6 months younger than the #2 pick in this draft is good. Definitely likely to get a big boy contract if his play is like this for at least another game, either from us or another team looking for an asset).
Sidy wasn't great, and his weaknesses are obvious, but the connective role player skills were there.

I think with Blake, he gets super focused driving and probably works better with a floor spacing / pick and pop big - I think it gets him to play more under control and look to manipulate and pass out, rather than sprint in and hope for contact/ an easy offensive rebounding opportunity. He was bad though overall.

spurraider21
07-04-2023, 12:12 AM
Don’t know how you watched Brown and come away thinking he’s a good two way candidate tbh

BackHome
07-04-2023, 01:02 AM

Yeah Sidy is a SF/PF - I have seen a lot of people have him as SG in there mock lineups but to me he is a big boy who can hang with SF and even deal with most PF.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-04-2023, 01:25 AM

He did some little things that stood out. There was a sequence when Miller grabbed rebound and Cissoko poked it out for a Champagnie put back. Also, when he harassed Miller into a bad shot but foul was called.
Offensively, he had his moments with that no look pass and that dunk attempt.

Robz4000
07-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Shit, if this is Barlow going forward he's starting tbh.

rankingtear
07-04-2023, 02:27 AM
Everyone was sleeping on Julian, guess nobody but a handful watched the last few games of the season. What he did was more scalable than Mamu. Barlow vs Mamu might be a camp battle to watch, Barlow was unrecognizable and making a case for that third big slot. Wes was fine I guess, he kept the offense chugging with that first step but this does not look like the leap he needed to show. Sidy is a two-way guy, the silver lining is his defense and playmaking might be worth the investment for a year or two.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2023, 03:01 AM
Well, the front office wasn't sleeping on him. They seem to have a remarkably good handle on what's happening.

BillMc
07-04-2023, 03:15 AM
Getting kinda worried about Blake.

RC_Drunkford
07-04-2023, 03:47 AM
Champagnie proved he's a bucket getter. He was that in the G-League and in the 19 games he played for us at the end of the season. Not just a 3-and-D guy, he can fill it up which is why I loved that they locked him up on a long term deal.

Barlow was incredible. I been very high on this kid and have rarely seen a big who's that quick on his feet with that kind of ability to protect the rim and rebound the ball. His midrange jumper looks pure. I view him more as a 4 than a 5, but he can play both positions. If he can extend his range to the 3-point line you have a PF with the ability to be a secondary rim protector. They might have to lock him up on a long term NBA deal with the big squad if he keeps playing like that. Both him and Champagnie look better than some lottery picks from the last couple of drafts.

Wesley was very underwhelming and looked worse than in some of the games in summer league from last year tbh. Very lose with the ball and a lot of risky passes. Also didn't really show anything when it comes to finishing at the rim or shooting. Hopefully he'll play better or he might be out of the league soon.

Cissoko clearly has a problem with his shooting form. They will have to rework his shot. The way he clanked his free throw and threw up a 3 at the side of the rim didn't look good at all.

duncan2150
07-04-2023, 03:49 AM
We may have an answer why the spurs did not take a big at the fa with Barlow, looks really good, the best part was the mid range game imo. really solid overall

Champagnie looks good too, nice sign

about wesley, looks like he was asking to share the ball, he needs to clean those long prepared pass who are easily legible; other than that 8 assists is good and we saw 2-3 good finishes at the rim

And to finish nothing on the box but i like cissoko's D

Wesley was very underwhelming and looked worse than in some of the games in summer league from last year tbh. Very lose with the ball and a lot of risky passes. Also didn't really show anything when it comes to finishing at the rim or shooting. Hopefully he'll play better or he might be out of the league soon.

Last year he was playing totally different in SL, shooting a lot, attacking the rim. The spurs wants him to be a PG so they kind off limit him to that not natural role, 8 assists is good, if he manages to cut some TO ( not hard imo) he'll be good.

Fireball
07-04-2023, 04:49 AM
Getting kinda worried about Blake. yup ... he is awful

Dejounte
07-04-2023, 05:40 AM
It was a terrrrrrrrriiible night for Blake, but I’m not ready to close the book on him yet. Anyone who has read my posts knows I like to give players the 15 game rule. It takes 15 games into the regular season to tell who these players really are and if they’ve improved, IMO.

Cabrito
07-04-2023, 06:08 AM
I am not going to complain about players in a game they led by 30 most of the night. Last year’s Blake would have shot the Hornets back in the game by taking at least 18 shots and with 3 assists and 9 turnovers. He is Uber competitive and improving but far from a finished product. He is a third string point guard that will play in Austin most of the year to improve his craft. Even if he never learns the point guard position like he needs to, this experience is good for him in being a team first guy as a two guard. He had complete tunnel vision last year and at Notre Dame.

Dejounte
07-04-2023, 07:57 AM
If Julian continues this trajectory, there’s less pressure for Branham to excel at the 2,3 positions and more experimentation at PG is probably welcome (since it is a dire need). IF Julian continues, this has a major impact on the roster and it allows so much more flexibility on what the Spurs can do asset-wise. Letting Vassell go wouldn’t hurt as much, for example. I saw flashes tonight of a damn good player.

Dejounte
07-04-2023, 08:00 AM
…that’s probably also why they sat Branham last night so they can see a tale of two halves: Wesley at PG last night and Branham at PG tomorrow. Guess we will see.

Dhbsr555
07-04-2023, 08:08 AM
If Julian continues this trajectory, there’s less pressure for Branham to excel at the 2,3 positions and more experimentation at PG is probably welcome (since it is a dire need). IF Julian continues, this has a major impact on the roster and it allows so much more flexibility on what the Spurs can do asset-wise. Letting Vassell go wouldn’t hurt as much, for example. I saw flashes tonight of a damn good player.
Ya that’s a risky way to go about it because Devin is that guy

RC_Drunkford
07-04-2023, 08:15 AM

I think it rather means they can trade McDermott. Champagnie can fill his role easily while being a better defender

slick'81
07-04-2023, 08:22 AM
Julian looks good but like barlow theres along way to go

RC_Drunkford
07-04-2023, 08:34 AM
somebody gotta tell me what are Barlow's weaknesses? Cause I don't see any besides maybe 3-point shooting. The kid just turned 20, has almost no holes in his game and has great size and athleticism plus a high basketball IQ. We're pretty much set at PF for a long time with him and Sochan.

slick'81
07-04-2023, 08:36 AM
somebody gotta tell me what are Barlow's weaknesses? Cause I don't see any besides maybe 3-point shooting. The kid just turned 20, has almost no holes in his game and has great size and athleticism plus a high basketball IQ. We're pretty much set at PF for a long time with him and Sochan.

so far we have harden in julian,sprewell in wesley and siakam in barlow.... we stacked:lobt2:

Dejounte
07-04-2023, 08:37 AM

His weakness is that he wasn’t drafted in the nba lottery, so it’s going to take a lot of time to remove all doubt and skepticism even if the talent is clear as day tbh

rankingtear
07-04-2023, 08:43 AM
WTF people are overreacting again. Just be happy we have 2 promising third stringers.

LeBowen
07-04-2023, 08:47 AM
I'm really glad Spurs didn't bring in Plumlee or some other generic big, Bassey and Barlow need all the playing time they can get. Even Mamu.

Wemby, Collins, Sochan, Bassey, Barlow and Mamu is good enough PF/C rotation for Wemby's rookie season. And if they continue developing on their current trajectory, Spurs won't have the need to bring in any bigs unless there's an opportunity to get another star.

Keldon, McDermott and Champagnie trio is also more than good enough for perimeter forward positions.
Cissoko has good instincts, but his overall offensive game is rough. Season in Austin it is, barring an injury crisis.

Guard positions are up for grabs and somewhat concerning.
Devin is obviously the only known quantity.
Wesley definitely doesn't look like someone who can run an offense.
Tre can't shoot.
Branham has shown a lot of promise on offense, but is a horrible defender. Still, it's his place up for grabs because Tre's ceiling isn't very high.
If he fails, Graham will probably get a lot of minutes.

Overall, I'm really happy with the roster for a team that just had one of the worst records in the league.

His weakness is that he wasn’t drafted in the nba lottery, so it’s going to take a lot of time to remove all doubt and skepticism even if the talent is clear as day tbh

Yeah, it's ridiculous that neither Barlow nor Champagnie were drafted.
Champagnie has size, great jumpshot and is a solid defender. Everything modern NBA role player needs. Unbelievable that noone picked him up in the second round.
And he just turned 22, so it's not like he was old for a rookie.

Kurik
07-04-2023, 08:59 AM
I'm really glad Spurs didn't bring in Plumlee or some other generic big, Bassey and Barlow need all the playing time they can get. Even Mamu.

Wemby, Collins, Sochan, Bassey, Barlow and Mamu is good enough PF/C rotation for Wemby's rookie season. And if they continue developing on their current trajectory, Spurs won't have the need to bring in any bigs unless there's an opportunity to get another star.

Keldon, McDermott and Champagnie trio is also more than good enough for perimeter forward positions.
Cissoko has good instincts, but his overall offensive game is rough. Season in Austin it is, barring an injury crisis.

Guard positions are up for grabs and somewhat concerning.
Devin is obviously the only known quantity.
Wesley definitely doesn't look like someone who can run an offense.
Tre can't shoot.
Branham has shown a lot of promise on offense, but is a horrible defender. Still, it's his place up for grabs because Tre's ceiling isn't very high.
If he fails, Graham will probably get a lot of minutes.

Overall, I'm really happy with the roster for a team that just had one of the worst records in the league.

Yeah, it's ridiculous that neither Barlow nor Champagnie were drafted.
Champagnie has size, great jumpshot and is a solid defender. Everything modern NBA role player needs. Unbelievable that noone picked him up in the second round.
And he just turned 22, so it's not like he was old for a rookie.

The only concern with our bigs is injury history, not saying we need to pickup any now but I wouldn’t be surprised if one or 2 two-way spots are bigs. This is assuming Barlow gets a real contract.

Spurs9
07-04-2023, 09:19 AM
Love this team tbh

Maddog
07-04-2023, 09:33 AM
My overreaction to last nights game with respect to Barlow and Champagnie?

Trade Keldon and Socahn for 5 second round picks each!

JPB
07-04-2023, 09:48 AM
Julian looks good but like barlow theres along way to go

This. He continues to display his potential but that was the Charlotte Trashes on the other side.

TD 21
07-04-2023, 10:20 AM
Last year he was playing totally different in SL, shooting a lot, attacking the rim. The spurs wants him to be a PG so they kind off limit him to that not natural role, 8 assists is good, if he manages to cut some TO ( not hard imo) he'll be good.

He doesn't have a natural role. He can't shoot, so he's useless off ball and he can't run an offense, so he's useless on ball. Terrible efficiency either way and a low basketball IQ.

Forget being an NBA player, he's got an uphill battle just to remain on the team for a third season. They'll probably pick up the option because it's inexpensive, but that doesn't mean he'll be guaranteed.

Barlow is a C. The question is whether he can play as a solo big or does he need a floor spacing big alongside?

Darkwaters
07-04-2023, 10:25 AM
It's nice when the clear best player on the floor is not the #2 overall pick but the undrafted waiver claim you made the year before. And right on HIS heels was another undrafted signing from the previous year.

I have to wonder how Hornets fans feel after that game.

I realize it's the epitome of early. But something tells me this is less of a "Greg Ostertag game" than a sign of a genuinely bumpy road in their future.

Mr. Body
07-04-2023, 10:38 AM
That sequence where Barlow switched off on Miller was superb.

emanueldavidginobili
07-04-2023, 10:48 AM
Wemby 19 years old, Barlow, Branham, Wesley, Sochan 20 years old, Bassey, Vassell, Champagnie 22 years old, Keldon and Tre 23 years old. Exciting times on the horizon.

John B
07-04-2023, 11:15 AM
I'd give Sidy a grade letter higher because it was his first game. I'd give Wesley a grade lower due to expectations.

The silver lining with Wesley is that he carved out 8 points and 8 assists from that dumpster fire while playing decent defense with his feet.

I think it’s easy to commit turnovers playing with guys that you haven’t practiced as much, in a Summer League where players tend to try to showcase themselves more than the team. I will give Wesley a flyer for this game. I think he was able to break defenses and distributed as much. I’ll give Wesley a B.

JC and DB, both A+. Surely the best players in the court. JC playing PG on occassions was a pleasant surprise, and is another ballhandler for the team. Spurs need to bag Barlow with the same contract as JC or Bassey. Barlow will be more than a serviceable big.

Sidy I was a bit disappointed. He’s been playing with the Ignite so the same format. I expect him to produce more next game.

Extra Stout
07-04-2023, 11:20 AM
He doesn't have a natural role. He can't shoot, so he's useless off ball and he can't run an offense, so he's useless on ball. Terrible efficiency either way and a low basketball IQ.

Forget being an NBA player, he's got an uphill battle just to remain on the team for a third season. They'll probably pick up the option because it's inexpensive, but that doesn't mean he'll be guaranteed.

I’d really like Blake Wesley to succeed. However, he doesn’t look like an NBA player. You’d think by the second year he’d at least look like one even if his game still had a lot of flaws. You really have to dig deep into homerdom to find something good about his performances. I don’t think he’s going to make it in the league.

jeebus
07-04-2023, 11:29 AM
EJ with a B+? Yeesh.

JPB
07-04-2023, 11:56 AM
Wemby 19 years old, Barlow, Branham, Wesley, Sochan 20 years old, Bassey, Vassell, Champagnie 22 years old, Keldon and Tre 23 years old. Exciting times on the horizon.

But trade dem all for Lillard!

MannyIsGod
07-04-2023, 12:10 PM

Honestly he may not get that long. Its possible if he doens't show enough by the end of October that the Spurs could decline his 3rd year option. Especially if we might have 3 picks next draft.

Dejounte
07-04-2023, 12:16 PM
But trade dem all for Lillard!

Bro, literally no one has said this. It’s been a variation of one or two players and a couple picks that people are suggesting. Why do people go to extremes to try to prove a point?

Seventyniner
07-04-2023, 12:37 PM
Honestly he may not get that long. Its possible if he doens't show enough by the end of October that the Spurs could decline his 3rd year option. Especially if we might have 3 picks next draft.

I think the Spurs will pick up the third year option because it's only $2.6M. The year 4 option is $4.7M, and if Wesley doesn't improve then he certainly isn't worth that.

The Spurs have invested a lot of player development into Wesley, but the fact that they let Samanic go shows that they don't always fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy. There is only so much time and attention to go around with the player development staff.

Even if Wesley continues on his current trajectory and ends up being a straight up bust, that's an acceptable outcome for the lowest of three first round picks in the same year at #25. He was a home run swing and so far looks like a whiff.

Mr. Body
07-04-2023, 12:43 PM
I think the Spurs will pick up the third year option because it's only $2.6M. The year 4 option is $4.7M, and if Wesley doesn't improve then he certainly isn't worth that.

The Spurs have invested a lot of player development into Wesley, but the fact that they let Samanic go shows that they don't always fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy. There is only so much time and attention to go around with the player development staff.

Even if Wesley continues on his current trajectory and ends up being a straight up bust, that's an acceptable outcome for the lowest of three first round picks in the same year at #25. He was a home run swing and so far looks like a whiff.

Agree. Wesley still has a lot of runway. He's clearly working hard, clearly trying. Maybe the penny never drops, but this is literally the franchise we all love for having the 'pounding the rock' mentality. Samanic would have stayed if he didn't have a poor attitude and gave up on plays -- one final one in particular. Blake Wesley does not give up on plays.

I still have faith. It's going to take a while.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2023, 12:56 PM

Yeah the higher boom or bust possibility picks are fine - especially with the other two from that draft are doing well. I think its more likely than not they pick up the option but I do think there are only so many players you can develop and if they foresee making more draft picks at that position in the next draft then it may just be better give yourself an out. Its not like they can't resign him if he looks good towards the end of the year.

spurraider21
07-04-2023, 12:58 PM
Shit, if this is Barlow going forward he's starting tbh.
It’s summer league scrah

i think in the general summer league thread i said i expected Barlow to crush summer league and ultimately he’s gonna have to prove it in the big league. Kai Jones is on his way out but he’s an nba talent and Barlow literally made him his bitch :lol

what i didn’t see coming at all was how smooth that midrange J was. Over and over again

Atl Spur
07-04-2023, 01:01 PM

Someone please handle this fool; I ignore his dumb ass but he still popping! After one summer league game clown boy is a coach…

PhantomDashCam
07-04-2023, 01:08 PM
Surprised so many are down on Wesley after one Summer League game.

Last season finished in April, he went back to work in May, so there’s been two whole months to implement proposed
skill and Cognitive evolvements.

Patience y’all…

GAustex
07-04-2023, 01:26 PM
Someone please handle this fool; I ignore his dumb ass but he still popping! After one summer league game clown boy is a coach…
Fool

spurraider21
07-04-2023, 01:29 PM
Surprised so many are down on Wesley after one Summer League game.

Last season finished in April, he went back to work in May, so there’s been two whole months to implement proposed
skill and Cognitive evolvements.

Patience y’all…
Not giving up on him or anything obviously. Just expected to see more of a leap. Year 2 nba players usually have it pretty easy in summer league. We a red flag when primo struggled last year too

RC_Drunkford
07-04-2023, 01:33 PM

Samanic was a different case. Apparently they knew he was a bust 2 months in. He showed up late to practice, had his little croatian crew with him everywhere and Pop gave him the Tony treatment. When Pop told him "get the fuck off the floor" the guy went straight to the locker room and quit practice. Wesley ain't soft like that.

Seventyniner
07-04-2023, 01:45 PM
Samanic was a different case. Apparently they knew he was a bust 2 months in. He showed up late to practice, had his little croatian crew with him everywhere and Pop gave him the Tony treatment. When Pop told him "get the fuck off the floor" the guy went straight to the locker room and quit practice. Wesley ain't soft like that.

I wasn't trying to compare the players, but instead the situations as to the sunk cost of player development time/effort. The Spurs had already put a lot of time and effort into developing Samanic as a player and that didn't prevent them from cutting him when it became clear that he wasn't going to pan out. I think that means the Spurs will do the same with Wesley if he doesn't improve enough. Wesley's attitude is far better than Samanic's for sure. But Wesley just plain isn't good right now and that 4th year option is pretty rich for such a net negative player.

Extra Stout
07-04-2023, 02:03 PM
It’s summer league scrah

i think in the general summer league thread i said i expected Barlow to crush summer league and ultimately he’s gonna have to prove it in the big league. Kai Jones is on his way out but he’s an nba talent and Barlow literally made him his bitch :lol

what i didn’t see coming at all was how smooth that midrange J was. Over and over again

Yeah when the dominance is based upon skill I think it’s likelier to translate.

RC_Drunkford
07-04-2023, 02:10 PM
I wasn't trying to compare the players, but instead the situations as to the sunk cost of player development time/effort. The Spurs had already put a lot of time and effort into developing Samanic as a player and that didn't prevent them from cutting him when it became clear that he wasn't going to pan out. I think that means the Spurs will do the same with Wesley if he doesn't improve enough. Wesley's attitude is far better than Samanic's for sure. But Wesley just plain isn't good right now and that 4th year option is pretty rich for such a net negative player.

yeah I agree. With all the picks we got, whoever ain't making significant leaps is gone sooner rather than later

Ariel
07-04-2023, 02:18 PM
If Julian continues this trajectory, there’s less pressure for Branham to excel at the 2,3 positions and more experimentation at PG is probably welcome (since it is a dire need). IF Julian continues, this has a major impact on the roster and it allows so much more flexibility on what the Spurs can do asset-wise. Letting Vassell go wouldn’t hurt as much, for example. I saw flashes tonight of a damn good player.Honestly he may not get that long. Its possible if he doens't show enough by the end of October that the Spurs could decline his 3rd year option. Especially if we might have 3 picks next draft.
For Branham??? That's crazy. He already showed more than enough, both on and off the court, to warrant a 3rd year. There's ZERO chance his option is not picked.

Extra Stout
07-04-2023, 02:20 PM
For Branham??? That's crazy. He already showed more than enough, both on and off the court, to warrant a 3rd year. There's ZERO chance his option is not picked.
I think he meant Wesley, though out of context. Branham had a promising end to the year. He just needs to show up on defense.

Ariel
07-04-2023, 02:23 PM

Different circumstances, Samanic was let go because he had horrible work ethic, which seems nothing like Blake's case. Now he is extremely raw and we always knew that, we just hoped he'd come along. It's still early, he has a chance to turn it around, but I do agree his progress will be evaluated and he isn't a lock to finish his rookie scale deal with the Spurs if he doesn't show progress. But I'd be shocked if they don't pick up his third year at least... given him one more year, and if by this time next year he doesn't show progress and you need the roster spot (more so than the money), then you can move him. But he deserves a full year at least before making that decision.

Ariel
07-04-2023, 02:24 PM
I think he meant Wesley, though out of context. Branham had a promising end to the year. He just needs to show up on defense.
I quoted the post he quoted specifically to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding his target, there's no mention of Wesley there. But yes, that would make more sense.

Extra Stout
07-04-2023, 02:50 PM
Different circumstances, Samanic was let go because he had horrible work ethic, which seems nothing like Blake's case. Now he is extremely raw and we always knew that, we just hoped he'd come along. It's still early, he has a chance to turn it around, but I do agree his progress will be evaluated and he isn't a lock to finish his rookie scale deal with the Spurs if he doesn't show progress. But I'd be shocked if they don't pick up his third year at least... given him one more year, and if by this time next year he doesn't show progress and you need the roster spot (more so than the money), then you can move him. But he deserves a full year at least before making that decision.
I don’t agree. In 2024 the Spurs need to shift out of evaluation mode and earnestly work on building a playoff roster. I don’t think they’ll have the luxury of saving a roster spot waiting for Wesley to learn how to play basketball. I think he has until October 25th to figure it out.

But hey, the Spurs may disagree and take the option. It is only $2.6 million after all and it will take some work to reach the salary floor next year too.

Ariel
07-04-2023, 03:01 PM
I don’t agree. In 2024 the Spurs need to shift out of evaluation mode and earnestly work on building a playoff roster. I don’t think they’ll have the luxury of saving a roster spot waiting for Wesley to learn how to play basketball. I think he has until October 25th to figure it out.

But hey, the Spurs may disagree and take the option. It is only $2.6 million after all and it will take some work to reach the salary floor next year too.
If they don't pick up his 3rd year option and he performs well this season, you're f*cked. If you pick up his option, you can always cut him for peanuts (in NBA terms) and have a little dead cap (which won't hurt) or send him somewhere in a larger package. Better to err on the side of caution and pick up his 3rd year at the risk he won't produce, than being cheap and maybe regretting it later.

Uriel
07-04-2023, 03:08 PM
Too many people on this thread casting judgment on Wesley after a single summer league game. I remember this time last year, people were saying he was the steal of the draft because he had played so well in this exact same tournament. Let’s give the kid a few more games before we start declaring he’s not NBA material.

donaldsonian
07-04-2023, 03:14 PM
I think it’s easy to commit turnovers playing with guys that you haven’t practiced as much, in a Summer League where players tend to try to showcase themselves more than the team. I will give Wesley a flyer for this game. I think he was able to break defenses and distributed as much. I’ll give Wesley a B.

JC and DB, both A+. Surely the best players in the court. JC playing PG on occassions was a pleasant surprise, and is another ballhandler for the team. Spurs need to bag Barlow with the same contract as JC or Bassey. Barlow will be more than a serviceable big.

Sidy I was a bit disappointed. He’s been playing with the Ignite so the same format. I expect him to produce more next game.

Agree on this. People seem to forget how sloppy and unrefined Dejounte‘s game was in his first few seasons. Not saying that’s who Wesley will turn into, just that it’s still way too early to write him off.

Cissoko almost looked like he needs to play his way into shape a little bit, hopefully more reps will help him.

Uriel
07-04-2023, 03:15 PM
How do you know all this by the way? Not saying I don’t believe you, just wondering where you got this info.

Seventyniner
07-04-2023, 03:20 PM
I think picking up Wesley's third year option is a no brainer. It gives him another year to improve at the cost of just $2.6M in cap space next summer that the Spurs most likely won't use anyway.

The decision on the 4th year option next October will be much dicier if he hasn't made massive strides by then.

Mr. Body
07-04-2023, 03:30 PM
I think people missed it, but right after that thunderdunk Barlow threw down in transition, Blake stole the inbound pass. The camera guy completely missed it but you see it right at the edge and I think the color lady might have said something about it.

But he blew the layup, lol.

He just does too many interesting things. He had, what 6 rebounds, 8 assists? He looks gangly and all over the place like a baby deer but he has good defensive instincts, plays hard, doesn't give up. Parker wasn't a natural point, either. Once Blake gets a better sense of the floor and the game slows down more, he'll get better. Need to improve his hands, though.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2023, 03:51 PM
If they don't pick up his 3rd year option and he performs well this season, you're f*cked. If you pick up his option, you can always cut him for peanuts (in NBA terms) and have a little dead cap (which won't hurt) or send him somewhere in a larger package. Better to err on the side of caution and pick up his 3rd year at the risk he won't produce, than being cheap and maybe regretting it later.

Definitely Wesley. Sorry about confusion I believe I quoted the wrong post I wanted to reply to.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2023, 03:54 PM
Too many people on this thread casting judgment on Wesley after a single summer league game. I remember this time last year, people were saying he was the steal of the draft because he had played so well in this exact same tournament. Let’s give the kid a few more games before we start declaring he’s not NBA material.

No one is making any Judgement based off one game. We've seen the kid for over a year now. Also no one is saying cut him but the clock is ticking.

TD 21
07-04-2023, 03:57 PM
I’d really like Blake Wesley to succeed. However, he doesn’t look like an NBA player. You’d think by the second year he’d at least look like one even if his game still had a lot of flaws. You really have to dig deep into homerdom to find something good about his performances. I don’t think he’s going to make it in the league.

Yeah, my comments aren't based off of one random Summer League game. I'm just not a fan of his archetype and suffice it to say, he hasn't done anything to assuage my concerns since being drafted.

Contrary to popular belief, most prospects show immediate flashes that'll usually be supported by some type of catch-all metric(s).

MannyIsGod
07-04-2023, 03:59 PM
For the record I'm not advocating to decline the option but if Wesley shows little to no progress in the next few months I won't be surprised if they do that. With so much in the developmental pipeline and so many draft picks coming I wouldn't expect them to give players as much runway.

Mr. Body
07-04-2023, 04:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9SbuQ7HLo4

2:07 is the Barlow dunk.

Then Wesley immediately steals the inbounds... and seems to blow it... but SL camera crews are so crap we miss it.

spurraider21
07-04-2023, 04:16 PM
Gotta exercise Wesley’s option for 24/25 but prob have to see something a lot more tangible a year from now to lock in his 25/26 option

Pauleta14
07-04-2023, 05:16 PM
It;s quite hard to evaluate a player in such a weak context tbh

Barlow looked like an allstar

exstatic
07-04-2023, 05:17 PM
No one is making any Judgement based off one game. We've seen the kid for over a year now. Also no one is saying cut him but the clock is ticking.

He didn’t have a rookie season. He didn’t have HALF of a rookie season.

ismael-robert
07-04-2023, 06:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9SbuQ7HLo4

2:07 is the Barlow dunk.

Then Wesley immediately steals the inbounds... and seems to blow it... but SL camera crews are so crap we miss it.

Again, a little perception goes a long way. If u look at score it increased after steal...he made layup. And that embedded Barlow tweet u couldn't read left side...whole text was there just pinch screen with 2 fingers n enlarge

ismael-robert
07-04-2023, 06:31 PM
After drafting wemby we no longer have time for 3-4 year projects like DJ

Mr. Body
07-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Again, a little perception goes a long way. If u look at score it increased after steal...he made layup. And that embedded Barlow tweet u couldn't read left side...whole text was there just pinch screen with 2 fingers n enlarge

I was on my laptop

Uriel
07-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Serious question for the people in this thread: if Charlotte offered you a trade right now of Brandon Miller for Julian Champagnie straight up, would you take it?

Mr. Body
07-04-2023, 06:50 PM
Serious question for the people in this thread: if Charlotte offered you a trade right now of Brandon Miller for Julian Champagnie straight up, would you take it?

Miller's attitude is incredibly concerning to me. He's always scowling, on the verge of something. Normally that would be okay, but considering the company he keeps, his sense of judgment, I wouldn't want him around.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2023, 06:54 PM
No.

jesterbobman
07-04-2023, 07:02 PM

Yes, fairly obviously.

I think Miller was clearly over-drafted based on being a freshman, rather than his age (OLD freshman) and going over Scoot in particular was dumb (I think the Thompsons are better prospects as well and the success of OTE guys who've moved on indicates something is working development wise, then he's in the group with Bilal/ Walker/ Hendricks / Wallace / Black) but there's a reason he rose up so high in the draft, 6'9" shooters with some creation are really valuable. Saying no would be extremely overreacting to a summer league game.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2023, 07:14 PM
Yes, fairly obviously.

I think Miller was clearly over-drafted based on being a freshman, rather than his age (OLD freshman) and going over Scoot in particular was dumb (I think the Thompsons are better prospects as well and the success of OTE guys who've moved on indicates something is working development wise, then he's in the group with Bilal/ Walker/ Hendricks / Wallace / Black) but there's a reason he rose up so high in the draft, 6'9" shooters with some creation are really valuable. Saying no would be extremely overreacting to a summer league game.
the Spurs signed him to a 4 year contract prior to yesterday, so saying it's based on a single summer league game is flat incorrect.

And as I said, there's the whole murder thing. The Spurs wouldn't want him.

heyheymymy
07-04-2023, 07:17 PM
Wow, Wesley approaches a triple double! Buuut also approaches a quadruple double with turnovers lol

No seriously, granted against Summer League caliber players but 8/6/8 with 3 steals on a bad night?? (see: 7 TOs)

I'm sticking with Blake Wesley a little longer then. I mean, clean up the anxious play, and keep the good stuff, and he's a valuable player.

Sucks how Lonnie Walker IV kinda shortened the patience/trust on Blake Wesley. My heart can't go through that again lol

SpursFan86
07-04-2023, 07:37 PM
Would you guys rather have Barlow or Holmgren? :lol

RC_Drunkford
07-04-2023, 08:19 PM
How do you know all this by the way? Not saying I don’t believe you, just wondering where you got this info.

Apparently this is what a Spurs staffer has said to a friend of his. Can Never be a 100% sure, but sounds believable