PDA

View Full Version : 2017 DPOY Draymond reveal How to Stop Wemby

spursparker9
07-04-2023, 11:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trU3DgVNLF8

Mr. Body
07-04-2023, 11:46 PM
Does it involve stomping on his chest or sticking his fingers in his eyes?

SPURt
07-05-2023, 12:05 AM
That was interesting, I agree with the initial take that he’s gonna be elite defensively from the jump, but the offensive side will be harder for him to figure out. I disagree with the idea he’s not gonna be an all star this year. If he plays the required amount of games he’ll be an all star. The last part is dumb. They’re saying his height is a disadvantage :lol The NBA hasn’t seen a player like Wemby in a long time. These guys have never played a peak Yao Ming, Shaq, or Kareem. God loves the Spurs.

Kurik
07-05-2023, 12:08 AM
Mostly good things in the video, it’s a wonder how different Draymond is off the court.

Mr. Body
07-05-2023, 12:16 AM
That was interesting, I agree with the initial take that he’s gonna be elite defensively from the jump, but the offensive side will be harder for him to figure out. I disagree with the idea he’s not gonna be an all star this year. If he plays the required amount of games he’ll be an all star. The last part is dumb. They’re saying his height is a disadvantage :lol The NBA hasn’t seen a player like Wemby in a long time. These guys have never played a peak Yao Ming, Shaq, or Kareem. God loves the Spurs.

Just running cuts and ball movement, Wembanyama's going to get a lot of opportunities around the rim and approaching the basket. The perception seems to be that he'll be an awkward post up guy due to his frame and that's it, or they see his admittedly bad shooting numbers and that's it. The Spurs' offense isn't going to iso him or go to an old-fashioned plodding system. Curls, cuts, and lobs are going to get him a lot of points alone.

spursparker9
07-05-2023, 12:33 AM
Tbh, Draymond off the court speaking vs on the court antics is really 2 different persons :lol

He seems like a mad dog on the court barking. But off the court he speaks like an intelligent and understanding person.

MultiTroll
07-05-2023, 12:40 AM
:lol Zero credibility Apemond on how to play legitimate NBA basketball, specifically defense.
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.cb1770721d10186346aebdd9b506366e?rik=ZGaOSclV1gU jDg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fcapricorncity.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f10%2fHomer-Bigfoot.gif&ehk=b%2beqkn9Rt7dq8pcjsnoOHG8dcrzVpIQOrWRsu0feprc% 3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

If he wants to opine on cheapshots and getting rigged reffing, then he could do a TED talk.

timvp
07-05-2023, 12:40 AM
I watched the whole video and didn't disagree with any of it, tbh.

Mr. Body
07-05-2023, 12:45 AM

You think it's bad he's that tall?

Mr. Body
07-05-2023, 12:46 AM
"As you know, low man wins."

Lol, what the fuck Dray. Yes, Sherman Douglas was better than Kareem.

Kurik
07-05-2023, 01:07 AM

Pretty well known term in sports especially from those who teach.

polandprzem
07-05-2023, 01:16 AM
In this vid I liked room protector and legit sinner

timvp
07-05-2023, 01:35 AM
You think it's bad he's that tall?

I don't think it's bad that he's 7-foot-5 but that does add a few question marks about how quickly things will translate. We've never seen a guy that tall try to dribble on the perimeter and through traffic. I know some Spurs fans are already saying Wemby is a failure if the Spurs miss the playoffs but I think he faces a challenging learning curve as a 7-foot-5 teenager.

playblair
07-05-2023, 02:02 AM
I don't think it's bad that he's 7-foot-5 but that does add a few question marks about how quickly things will translate. We've never seen a guy that tall try to dribble on the perimeter and through traffic. I know some Spurs fans are already saying Wemby is a failure if the Spurs miss the playoffs but I think he faces a challenging learning curve as a 7-foot-5 teenager.
how did his dribble moves look in person when u scouted him in paris plz give a report of the game u attended

Crazymaddopeyo
07-05-2023, 02:05 AM

Same

JPB
07-05-2023, 02:15 AM
Pretty interesting video indeed. Makes you somehow appreciate Raymond who I can see coaching or GM'ing in the future, if he feels like.

Truth is we've never seen a guy like Vic in the NBA so we can't really no what to expect from scratch but I believe he's gonna be performing from day 1. He has 2 seasons as a pro, so he already got the the mental and professional aspect of the game. He'll actually be better than with the Met with better teammates and a system that will put him in the best conditions.

I predict at least a 20/10 season with 2-3 blocks a game and more surprising 4-5 ass a game, if his teammates hit the shots Wemby will generate out of the "crowd" Draymond suggests you should surround Victor with... He has good court vision so McBuckets, Champagnie and co. should be ready to have a bunch of open shots,.

scott
07-05-2023, 02:23 AM
Good video, thanks for sharing

Fireball
07-05-2023, 02:23 AM
I also think that he will be good defensively from the start. And while he will become more "intelligent" defensively over the coming years, my question is how long he will be able to have this footspeed and lateral movement. With this height he will probably detoriate more quickly than the average NBA player.

Offense could really be a struggle in his first year. Wembys shooting percentages were not great. But perhaps with the NBA game (regular season) being very different from Europe and having better teammates he will surprise me.

Just excited for his Summer League debut !!!

spursparker9
07-05-2023, 04:53 AM
Offensively, luckily we are no longer in 90s era anymore with ridiculous big men like Shaq, D-Rob, TD, KG, Ewing, Hakeem, Sir Charles, Karl Malone etc.

Wemby's height should be able to get easy lob and put back against current era of big men. The only big concern (defensively) would be against Joker, Giannis, Embiid and Zion.

kobyz
07-05-2023, 06:34 AM
I also wondering if he's not stop growing, as a year ago he was one inch shorter

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-05-2023, 07:00 AM
All valid points were made in the video. He wasn’t hating or anything like that with what he stated.

jermaine
07-05-2023, 07:02 AM
He sounds pretty fair in his assessment.

slick'81
07-05-2023, 07:12 AM
He's already a beast on d. Just has to get acclimated to the nba game

SpursFan86
07-05-2023, 07:22 AM
Nothing wrong with what he said - all valid points and if you watch the entire segment it’s mostly all positive stuff.

Victor will definitely have a learning curve on the offensive side. He’ll likely be elite right off the bat on defense but I’d be very surprised if he’s putting 20+ ppg with any sort of real efficiency. That’s not to say he won’t grow into an elite offensive player; I just don’t see it happening right away.

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 07:29 AM
He’s not wrong tbh

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 07:31 AM

“Low man wins” is an axiom when it comes to things like leverage and center of gravity. Doesn’t mean shorter athletes are always better than taller ones.

it’s like Marc Jackson’s “hand down man down” commentary. That doesn’t mean that keeping a low handle on the ball is bad. It’s referring to specific circumstances (in boxing, but he also references it when not contesting outside shots)

Fireball
07-05-2023, 07:35 AM
Doesn’t mean shorter athletes are always better than taller ones.

That indeed would be a funny conclusion in basketball! :rollin

TD 21
07-05-2023, 07:50 AM
Offensively, luckily we are no longer in 90s era anymore with ridiculous big men like Shaq, D-Rob, TD, KG, Ewing, Hakeem, Sir Charles, Karl Malone etc.

Wemby's height should be able to get easy lob and put back against current era of big men. The only big concern (defensively) would be against Joker, Giannis, Embiid and Zion.

All players he more than likely won't be defending for at least a few seasons.

Mr. Body
07-05-2023, 08:10 AM
Pretty well known term in sports especially from those who teach.

No, y'all trying to defense some utter horseshit.

Mr. Body
07-05-2023, 08:12 AM
“Low man wins” is an axiom when it comes to things like leverage and center of gravity. Doesn’t mean shorter athletes are always better than taller ones.

it’s like Marc Jackson’s “hand down man down” commentary. That doesn’t mean that keeping a low handle on the ball is bad. It’s referring to specific circumstances (in boxing, but he also references it when not contesting outside shots)

Draymond is talking out his ass because he's got a Napoleon complex in the NBA and you guys are diving through hoops to try to make it make sense. Low center of gravity is one thing, taking away a foot of height from Giannis or Jokic or Wemby is just so mindlessly stupid it's unimaginable. Draymond said something stupid.

But keep trying, I guess?

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 08:38 AM
Draymond is talking out his ass because he's got a Napoleon complex in the NBA and you guys are diving through hoops to try to make it make sense. Low center of gravity is one thing, taking away a foot of height from Giannis or Jokic or Wemby is just so mindlessly stupid it's unimaginable. Draymond said something stupid.

But keep trying, I guess?
if “low man wins” wasn’t a common sports expression with a known meaning I’d be more inclined to agree with you

https://coachmahr.com/low-man-wins/

slick'81
07-05-2023, 08:45 AM
So if you have a strong base and can get up in wemby then you can actually effectively defend him? WOW

exstatic
07-05-2023, 08:52 AM
So if you have a strong base and can get up in wemby then you can actually effectively defend him? WOW

Do they really think he's going to be posting up as his primary offense? Once he starts posterizing players on lobs, I think you'll see fewer players willing to body him and up get dunked on.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2023, 09:01 AM
Draymond and PG are totally right. There's a reason you don't see centers driving past people. He mentions he's talking about a particular skill set which is the dribbling and ball control. Some of you were rightfully pointing out Wesley dribbles too high and loose. Well what do you think that means for a 7-5 guy trying to cross people over? "Low man wins" makes a lot of sense in that regard.

The big thing Wemby has going for him is that he was already playing pro ball and while there will be an NBA adjustment, I don't think that strength is nearly as big a factor as speed and skill in that regard. Wemby has played against strong players already. He's had people try to dislodged him and what not. I think there will absolutely be an adjustment but I'm not to worried about how Wemby handles players who are very strong with a lower center of gravity.

Kurik
07-05-2023, 09:02 AM
No, y'all trying to defense some utter horseshit.

Lol actually your analogy was horseshit, it’s basketball defense 101. It’s ok if you had to google the term.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2023, 09:02 AM
if “low man wins” wasn’t a common sports expression with a known meaning I’d be more inclined to agree with you

Exactly and he's talking about times when having a low center of gravity is an advantage. People here just hate Draymond honestly.

widowmaker
07-05-2023, 09:05 AM
Does it involve stomping on his chest or sticking his fingers in his eyes?

Probably body slamming him in front of a ref and nothing gets called.

Kurik
07-05-2023, 09:05 AM
People don’t understand a low stance doesn’t just mean defending post up moves, a low stance allows a defender to cut off drives and many other things. Just because Wemby is tall doesn’t mean you stop using a low stance to defend.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2023, 09:06 AM
Do they really think he's going to be posting up as his primary offense? Once he starts posterizing players on lobs, I think you'll see fewer players willing to body him and up get dunked on.

It's actually the driving where his height will work against him. But I have confidence he has other tools that will make up for this.

rascal
07-05-2023, 09:07 AM
Exactly and he's talking about times when having a low center of gravity is an advantage. People here just hate Draymond honestly.

Yes, it made perfect sense.

Don't know why Mr. Body had a hard time with it.

slick'81
07-05-2023, 09:09 AM
Draymond is right. Your only option to defend someone like wemby is to basically full court press his ass and dog him the entire way down the court. GL

Spurs Homer
07-05-2023, 09:13 AM
I got no problem with the video- but i still DO hate those guys in it lol…

what was NOT mentioned in the video or the thread so far is MORE IMPORTANT:

the REFS!

wemby will figure it out, but the elephant in the room IMO
is ….

are the refs/league going to “steffie” (dont breathe on him) wemby and protect him?
or
will they give him the spurs treatment and make him earn every single achievement/ point/ matchup?

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 09:15 AM
There’s obviously a lot of risk defensively if you just try to press up on people all the time. Makes you susceptible to getting completely blown by with one hesitation move, fake, a good spin, etc. also means you get smothered by a good screen since you have less room to maneuver

even the best defenders, if they’re 6’8, 6’9 or so who try to play press on wemby all game are going to give up a number of uncontested dunks throughout the game

But what alternative do you have? You give him breathing room, and he can pull up right over you without worrying about a contest, and think about how much ground he can cover with two long strides and his wingspan. Can’t give him that runway.

we know he’s gonna be a problem, but defenders are gonna have to try something. While he’s remarkably good at keeping the ball low while dribbling, that’s what nba defenders are likely going to test him with first. Force him to dribble through congestion

slick'81
07-05-2023, 09:19 AM
There’s obviously a lot of risk defensively if you just try to press up on people all the time. Makes you susceptible to getting completely blown by with one hesitation move, fake, a good spin, etc. also means you get smothered by a good screen since you have less room to maneuver

even the best defenders, if they’re 6’8, 6’9 or so who try to play press on wemby all game are going to give up a number of uncontested dunks throughout the game

But what alternative do you have? You give him breathing room, and he can pull up right over you without worrying about a contest, and think about how much ground he can cover with two long strides and his wingspan. Can’t give him that runway.

we know he’s gonna be a problem, but defenders are gonna have to try something. While he’s remarkably good at keeping the ball low while dribbling, that’s what nba defenders are likely going to test him with first. Force him to dribble through congestion

Like draymond said if he gets comfortable im his spots its over. I agree wemby's ball handling will be put to the test early

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 09:22 AM
The really funny thing is a majority of the draymond hate started when he started getting DPOY talk alongside Kawhi and people here started getting very defensive over it. Same reason kobe fans always hated Lebron

Kawhi is since gone but also hated, yet the Raymond hate persists. It’s like when a couple is mad and they forgot what they were initially fighting about

ambchang
07-05-2023, 09:25 AM
The thing about wemby is that he can dribble by his man or even just shoot over him if he crowds him too much. His handle and ability to shoot outside will allow him to make a few mistakes on offence. Not to mention his gigantic strides just allows him to get to his spots much easier.

I agree with most of what donkey said. Reasonable to me actually.

One concern I have is how much space he takes on offence which could crowd the court and make cutting tougher for his teammates. But I likely overthought this.

Seventyniner
07-05-2023, 09:30 AM
Not every player will be as willing or able as Draymond to guard Wemby the way Draymond says he will. In fact, I think rather few will. Wemby will struggle against good defenders but he won't be up against one of those every single game.

Dverde
07-05-2023, 09:40 AM
Zach Collins is going to get in so many fake fights with goons like Draymond.

exstatic
07-05-2023, 09:46 AM

At 16, he was easily shooting right over the top of the reigning DPOY, Rudy Gobert. There is no contesting his jumper. Just no way to do it, at all.

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 09:51 AM
At 16, he was easily shooting right over the top of the reigning DPOY, Rudy Gobert. There is no contesting his jumper. Just no way to do it, at all.
If you are crowding him it’s a little tougher to bring the ball up without getting swiped on the way up. Unless it’s a turnaround which increases the degree of difficulty. Could also be susceptible to rip throughs

defenders have to pick their poison

Spurs Homer
07-05-2023, 09:59 AM
The really funny thing is a majority of the draymond hate started when he started getting DPOY talk alongside Kawhi and people here started getting very defensive over it. Same reason kobe fans always hated Lebron

Kawhi is since gone but also hated, yet the Raymond hate persists. It’s like when a couple is mad and they forgot what they were initially fighting about

I wont speak to why anyone else hates green - but I hate him regardless of Kawhi - and it has nothing to do with greens overrated defensive skills , which IMO would not even exist if he had been on a team without a big market...
but I digress...

I just hate him because of his personality and his dirty play and his being allowed to get away with it while other semi-dirty players get shut down quickly. I will never understand why green can literally put a saddle on his opponent, ride him while the refs are watching, hack and hack and hack while drawing contact on every hack -
and the refs just swallow their whistle.

On top of that - when he DOES get called, the entitled prick throws a tantrum and gets away more often than not - with THAT!

THAT is why I hate him.

Spurs Homer
07-05-2023, 10:01 AM
Oh yeah - was that Gobert they were talking about in the video?

exstatic
07-05-2023, 10:03 AM
If you are crowding him it’s a little tougher to bring the ball up without getting swiped on the way up. Unless it’s a turnaround which increases the degree of difficulty. Could also be susceptible to rip throughs

defenders have to pick their poison

Can't crowd him every second, or if you try, that's a perfect illustration of "gravity", and allows the rest to essentially play 4 on 4.

My guess is that he will almost never bring the ball up the floor in year one. He'll primarily be a lob threat, catch kick outs for jumpers, and pass over the top to cutting players.

R. DeMurre
07-05-2023, 10:18 AM
Draymond's absolutely right in saying that rim protection is Wemby's most translatable skill, and it's not a simple case of his height + wingspan. He has great defensive instincts and mostly stays vertical without fouling. He averaged 3 bpg and only 2 fouls per game, and had nine teammates who averaged more fouls per game than him, despite the fact that he led the team in mpg. Those are incredible numbers.

Also interesting that PG casually said "yeah, he's a 7'5" 3 man..."

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 10:19 AM
Can't crowd him every second, or if you try, that's a perfect illustration of "gravity", and allows the rest to essentially play 4 on 4.

My guess is that he will almost never bring the ball up the floor in year one. He'll primarily be a lob threat, catch kick outs for jumpers, and pass over the top to cutting players.
Teams might think they’re better off playing 4 on 4 against the rest of the lineup than having to deal with wemby depending on how quickly his offense refines

think playing with another big will open up a lot for him, especially getting pin down screens to help him pop up for those midrange bunnies that he thrived at in France

MultiTroll
07-05-2023, 12:04 PM
Wemby is going to make a ton of good passes to open Spurs.
Will they convert?

Especially catch n shoot type receptions.

To me this will be a huge factor in how Year 1 goes.

As to otherwise teamates, so far not a GNob, Parker or DRob in sight.

MultiTroll
07-05-2023, 12:10 PM
THAT is why I hate him.
The Draymond slurping is always good for some LOL.
Notice he chooses a mainly phan and media controlled goal "I don thinks he will make the All Star team."

Well Apemond, you and the Warriors don't get a shitload of awards nor Championships if they are given out on merit.

Myself i think Wemby will be legit All Star in Year 1.
However if his Spurs teammates lay non stop bricks, well that could keep him out.
Already wondering if Pops Pets Tre and McDougie will see the bench if sucking.

NickiRasgo
07-05-2023, 12:16 PM
Low-key shooting at Gobert. :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
07-05-2023, 12:20 PM
Strength is much easier to improve through training than quickness and speed. Last season the french league who is not essentially age capped at 22 like the NCAA decided to throw strong men at him and crowd him. He still performed.

Now sure the strength level in the NBA is a cut above but DG's strategy is not something that will be unfamiliar. He will be more prepared than your typical NCAA recruit. Seems the NCAA does a pretty shitty job at player development. I can understand why top prospects are preferring the G-league and not only because of the money.

SpursFan86
07-05-2023, 12:21 PM
SpursTalk with the inevitable victim syndrome :lol

”How dare this piece of shit claim that a rookie will struggle and not make the ASG in year one?”

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 12:22 PM
SpursTalk with the inevitable victim syndrome :lol

”How dare this piece of shit claim that a rookie will struggle and not make the ASG in year one?”
how dare he say he will have an approach to defending wemby? they need to just bend over and allow him to score for free

MultiTroll
07-05-2023, 12:34 PM
^ said no one on this thread. :lol

2 above.

ismael-robert
07-05-2023, 12:45 PM
Anyone who thought low man wins means shorter players are better need to stop posting. Never heard phrase but common sense and bball knowledge said it was center of gravity reference lol

J_Paco
07-05-2023, 12:59 PM
The thing is that Wemby will likely make the All-Star team on fan votes alone. He'll have the NBA hype machine behind him, nearly an entire country, and San Antonio - plus Spurs fans elsewhere - all voting for him.

He will struggle as a rookie but will likely have numbers similar to Kristaps Porzingis' rookie season (15 and 7).

MultiTroll
07-05-2023, 01:25 PM
The thing is that Wemby will likely make the All-Star team on fan votes alone. He'll have the NBA hype machine behind him, nearly an entire country
Will he?
Or is Stern Jr working with the Lakers and Warriors on a scam to get him to one of them?

I think he's Spur for life. Or at least the next 5 years unless the Holt Jr's flip out.

MultiTroll
07-05-2023, 02:10 PM

Sure it's a common expression and frankly common knowledge.
However if Gaymond or any of his slurpers think this is some super insight along with "crowding" giving some fabulous *edge* against Wemby, they can GFTs. :rollin

The link you provided showed how much Duke basketball espouses the Low Man strategy.
Notice how their asses have been wiped the last 5 NCAA tournaments.

I repeat, imo the biggest key to Wemby Year 1 is how are other Spurs going to respond to his kick ass passes. A healthy offense making shots or bricklayers?

Chinook
07-05-2023, 03:12 PM
It seems that quite a few people here have never really considered the biomechanics of basketball. Wemby's height is an advantage so long as he avoids too much contact. But he'll have to adjust to physicality on both ends of the court. I think he'll start off elite defensively, then guys will figure out ways to score around him, then he'll adjust to become elite again. Offensively, so long as he avoids dribbling in traffic too much and not trying to create his own shot near the rim, I don't think contact will be too big of an issue. If you try to hug a player up and down the court, it will put you at risk of foul trouble, and trying to overplay him will give Wemby and the team leverage to score easy buckets. It'd likely be a similar process to where he starts out having success until the league adjusts to him and then will have to adjust back.

And yes, being tall makes it harder to dribble. It's part of the reason why the unicorn fantasy some have where lineups will just be five interchangeable guys is very unlikely to happen. There are trade-offs, on average, when it comes to height.

KobesAchilles
07-05-2023, 04:47 PM
I mean I know Raymond is an “all-time great” defender, but how tf is he stopping a jump hook from Wemby. Wemby doesn’t have to back down anybody. He can literally walk to his spot, demand the ball, and shoot over Raymond

scott
07-05-2023, 04:50 PM
I mean I know Raymond is an “all-time great” defender, but how tf is he stopping a jump hook from Wemby. Wemby doesn’t have to back down anybody. He can literally walk to his spot, demand the ball, and shoot over Raymond

The video is worth watching. Dray acknowledges that if you let Wemby gets to a spot he is comfortable, it's over. Dray says that Wemby probably won't even notice or see you trying to contest, he'll just go right over you like you aren't there.

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 04:55 PM
i mean yeah, there comes a point where the height difference is somewhat insurmountable for the defender. its going to be a matter of pushing wemby as far out of his spot as possible. you cant really front a guy that tall if you are draymond. dont even need a high-low at that point with a good pass.

tonight...you
07-05-2023, 05:10 PM
It comes down to, unless you're a true 7 footer, you're going to have to hustle your ass down the court to beat him to his spots and keep him from getting there with leverage and muscle while swiping his dribble and pull-ups.
A lot of effort and concentration, but it's possible.

Honestly, only Wemby can stop Wemby. He needs to clean up his shot a bit, but he's a kid so he has time and in 3 years, barring injury, he's going to be the scariest player on any court on both ends.

scott
07-05-2023, 05:16 PM
Wemby vs Chet might become a really great rivalry to come. Looking forward to it.

exstatic
07-05-2023, 05:17 PM
Wemby vs Chet might become a really great rivalry to come. Looking forward to it.

Wemby pretty much owned him in FIBA, even though the US won.