PDA

View Full Version : NBA In-Season Tournament

lefty20
07-05-2023, 05:52 PM

Wtf, they are actually gonna go through with this shit?

scott
07-05-2023, 05:56 PM
So... is the semi-finals an extra regular season game? Or will each team have a home game displaced? Weird how they are folding the games into the regular season like this. I think the format would work better if it were more like Soccer, where it's a separate competition and teams sometime field different active rosters for it. Hard to do in basketball, but I could see it being heavily played by reserve players in the early rounds - but not if the results count towards regular season W/L totals.

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 05:59 PM
should be cool tbh

all the games (except the tournament finals) count toward the regular season anyway, for standings/stats, etc. they're not exhibition games like the all star game, so teams/players have no reason to dog it.

and the players are playing for 500k bonuses for each player of the winning team. should be something interesting to maintain regular season intrigue before the late season playoff push

Chinook
07-05-2023, 06:00 PM

Yeah, they're basically having a regular schedule but with some games being counted for a potential bonus game and cash prize. It's about a unobtrusive as this could get. December seems insanely early to have a final for this tournament. The whole first chunk of the season must just be tourney-weighted games. Will be interested to see what that ends up looking like.

lefty20
07-05-2023, 06:06 PM
I've got a hard time seeing team/players taking the final game seriously. If stats don't matter then it's basically a designated load management game.

spurraider21
07-05-2023, 06:08 PM
I've got a hard time seeing team/players taking the final game seriously. If stats don't matter then it's basically a designated load management game.
players in the final game are gunning for 500k bonuses

lefty20
07-05-2023, 06:12 PM
players in the final game are gunning for 500k bonuses

Sure, the role players will def be gunning for that.

Kindergarten Cop
07-05-2023, 06:21 PM

I know it won't matter much, but don't underestimate the competitiveness of today's players and the pride aspect that goes along with winning the inaugural event.

exstatic
07-05-2023, 06:48 PM

I believe there are monetary prizes for players on the winning team.

baseline bum
07-05-2023, 07:08 PM

And the stars will be gunning to get their teammates paid. Except for #2, he don't give a fuck.

Seventyniner
07-05-2023, 08:17 PM

Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but I think this is correct. Another consequence of the anticipated hollowing out of the middle class by the second apron is that lower salaried players will make up a larger proportion of rosters. They will definitely play hard for an extra 500k.

MultiTroll
07-05-2023, 08:29 PM
Are you going to go and hit on some cocktail waitresses?

lefty20
07-05-2023, 08:35 PM
Are you going to go and hit on some cocktail waitresses?

Only if she's working there to put herself through law school.

lefty20
07-06-2023, 01:15 AM
Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but I think this is correct. Another consequence of the anticipated hollowing out of the middle class by the second apron is that lower salaried players will make up a larger proportion of rosters. They will definitely play hard for an extra 500k.

I was 100% serious. I just don't see contending teams with aging stars being very enthused with the idea of having to playing a meaningless 83rd game. To name a few...

Lakers - The Ancient One & Day to Davis will not be suiting up for this.

Heat - Bulter would be unlikely to play.

Bucks - Freak missed a quite a few games last year and just went through a clean-up procedure on that bothersome knee. Middleton took an entire year to get over his injury.

Suns - KD & Beal haven't exactly been iron men. Suns sure as hell didn't mortgage their entire future for 500k bonuses.

Nuggets - Okay Joker is still young, but I guarantee you that he'd rather be at home watching Daniel Radcliffe's rousing performance in Equus.

Clipper - Need I really explain?

Dubs - Curry, Dray & Klay ain't gonna suit for this shit.

The teams I do see gunning for this are Kings, Thunder, Magic, Celtics, Cavs & Knicks. So yeah basically one contender in Celtics.

Fireball
07-06-2023, 01:22 AM
This is a horrible idea ... I can only imagine what Pop thinks about this shit

spurraider21
07-06-2023, 02:23 AM
They all still count as regular season games toward the standings, stats etc

Obstructed_View
07-06-2023, 03:47 AM
This seems stupid and badly thought out. I hope I'm wrong.

Fireball
07-06-2023, 04:18 AM
They all still count as regular season games toward the standings, stats etc

yeah but I doubt Pop will treat these games any different than a regular season game i.e. he will sit/rest players and will not put more emphasis on a game plan.

BillMc
07-06-2023, 05:17 AM

I agree. It's gimmicky, stupid and basically admits the regular season is meaningless now and needs junk like this to draw attention.

Silver has some good points, but he's really turning the actual game into a joke.

RC_Drunkford
07-06-2023, 05:53 AM
another dumbass new addition by Adam Silver. Just like changing the All-Star game when they now discussing if they should change it back to East vs. West

ambchang
07-06-2023, 07:35 AM
:lol todays nba.

rjv
07-06-2023, 11:16 AM
i heard the washington generals may get an invite

BillMc
07-06-2023, 11:20 AM
i heard the washington generals may get an invite
:lol

timvp
07-06-2023, 11:59 AM
Tbh, I like it. December is usually the dog days of the regular season that nobody cares about other than hardcore fans. Breaking up the monotony with a tournament sounds like a great idea.

Win or go home basketball will be fun to watch. Oldheads whine about "tradition" in every sport but I'm a fan of advancements that improve the experience. The Play-in Tournament has been awesome and this will probably be similar. We will see.

Obstructed_View
07-06-2023, 12:53 PM
Tbh, I like it. December is usually the dog days of the regular season that nobody cares about other than hardcore fans. Breaking up the monotony with a tournament sounds like a great idea.

Win or go home basketball will be fun to watch. Oldheads whine about "tradition" in every sport but I'm a fan of advancements that improve the experience. The Play-in Tournament has been awesome and this will probably be similar. We will see.
You're right. I hated the idea of the play in but I think I've watched all of them.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2023, 12:57 PM
Don't other basketball leagues do this? Since the NBA can't really get in on international competitions without real headaches, might as well have something to hype before Christmas.

spurraider21
07-06-2023, 01:00 PM
if they were bullshit exhibition games that didnt count for anything other than a pointless mini tournament id agree that its gonna suck

but even for muh traditionalists, you can just treat them as regular season games. meanwhile the league drums up a little excitement in the early part of the season when the novelty has worn off but the playoffs are still ages away

Ef-man
07-06-2023, 01:05 PM
If motivation other than $$$ is an issue, make it so the winning conference gets home court advantage in finals.

spurraider21
07-06-2023, 01:14 PM
If motivation other than $$$ is an issue, make it so the winning conference gets home court advantage in finals.
that should be the all star game tbh. one thing the mlb does right imho

Mugen
07-06-2023, 01:35 PM
Should be dope tbh.

Obstructed_View
07-06-2023, 01:42 PM

Disagree completely. The idea that a team can have zero all stars and their playoff fate decided by someone else seems beyond insane.

jhfenton
07-06-2023, 01:45 PM
I like the idea, but I'm also a soccer fan. So I'm used to the idea of in-season cups.* To me, the question is whether they stick with it long enough for it to acquire some prestige. If it has prestige, it's worthwhile. If not, it's a gimmick.

* The downside compared to cups in soccer is that you don't have non-league/lower-league sides—or another league entirely, like the MLS-LigaMX Leagues Cup coming up—to include to give it credibility as a separate competition from the league.

Edited to add: What would folks think about giving the winning a team a bonus pick at the end of the 1st Round?

Ef-man
07-06-2023, 01:47 PM

A mid-season tournament between the two best teams in the east and two best teams in west, contenders with vested interest in playoffs, sounds more interesting than game with all stars/coaches that do not play regularly as a team.

My two cents worth.

ace3g
07-08-2023, 06:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0jTmZ2XoAAiFkL?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0jV-PgXsAAoD73?format=jpg&name=large

ace3g
07-08-2023, 06:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0jWvQJX0AExRBi?format=jpg&name=large

timvp
07-08-2023, 06:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0jWvQJX0AExRBi?format=jpg&name=large

Damn, the Spurs got the group of death :lol

timvp
07-08-2023, 06:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0jTmZ2XoAAiFkL?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0jV-PgXsAAoD73?format=jpg&name=large

Sounds like the NBA made it more complicated than it needed to be. And I don't get why they decided the championship game doesn't count stat-wise.

But should be a fun addition, IMO.

SpursWoman
07-08-2023, 06:59 PM

That's messed up. :cry :lol

Sounds like fun

playblair
07-08-2023, 07:02 PM
Sounds like the NBA made it more complicated than it needed to be. And I don't get why they decided the championship game doesn't count stat-wise.

But should be a fun addition, IMO.
because the championship game is the 83rd game of the season......... every other team plays 82

cutewizard
07-08-2023, 07:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT1Vk286308

cutewizard
07-08-2023, 07:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MuEA5AreTI

timvp
07-08-2023, 07:21 PM
because the championship game is the 83rd game of the season......... every other team plays 82

How about two teams in the championship game get to skip one of their later meetings -- with the champion getting to pick which one to skip? Sounds better than having a ghost stats game, IMO.

cutewizard
07-08-2023, 08:06 PM
i wonder who will win this inaugural NBA Cup?

Leading contenders:

Nuggets
Heat
Celtics
Bucks
Warriors?
Phoenix??

daslicer
07-08-2023, 10:18 PM

:lol Sounds like something out of Mortal Kombat.

Biggems
07-08-2023, 10:58 PM
at least we know the games will be Tuesday and Friday......hopefully none of them are the second game of a back to back.

cutewizard
07-08-2023, 11:10 PM
There should be a NBA CUP MVP also i suppose

i think the FAKE ONE will try his very best to get it hahahahahahahaha

fakerssssssssssssssssssssss fail

taps
07-09-2023, 01:26 AM

To me it feels like the long way of adding 83 games for an NBA season. Oh the first couple of tournaments teams complained about more injuries in 83 games than the other 28 teams so everybody who doesn’t make the Final will have a game added to their schedule, problem solved! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Raven
07-09-2023, 06:23 AM
what an embarrassment... champion of mid season regular season games between november and december. that's what dreams are made of

exstatic
07-09-2023, 07:54 AM
what an embarrassment... champion of mid season regular season games between november and december. that's what dreams are made of

Players on the winning team each get $500K. I don’t think they really care about the cup.

scott
07-09-2023, 03:19 PM
I could see a few superstars wanting to win one of these just to be able to say they've won everything (guys like Bron, for example). I'm not as down on this as many others. Seems fun.

MannyIsGod
10-30-2023, 11:30 AM

I don't mind it.

scott
10-30-2023, 12:47 PM
Based on how the season is going so far, I’d like to see us put a concerted effort into doing well in the In-Season Tournament. This teams needs confidence, so I’d like to see us make the Tournament a priority, much like how non-competing clubs will do that with League Cups in European Football.

SpurSpike
11-09-2023, 09:24 AM
Looks like our 1st in season tournament game is tomorrow against the Timberwolves. They are on a 4 game winning streak and the Spurs on on a 3 game losing streak... Seems the law of averages would have us winning this one? Time for both teams to flip that over!