PDA

View Full Version : You guys... Wemby breaks the game.

tonight...you
07-07-2023, 10:28 PM
Watched it. Watched it all and while you guys have your points of contention over a teenager, I watched a kid break the game with his presence.

His offensive and especially his defensive gravity is unbelievable and nearly unheard of.
He's a game-breaker.

Whether he hits 1-7, or 8-12.

His presence changes everything and you can tangibly see it.

Go on and complain.

Rosewood
07-07-2023, 10:32 PM
I liked what I saw, personally.

he will probably get clowned online but I think he is going to be a monster.

offset formation
07-07-2023, 10:33 PM
They needed to get him some easy pick and roll buckets maybe to get him into the flow better.

nonetheless, lots of good to take away from tonight. put it in the rear-view tho. like he said in his post game interview, just gotta keep growing.

I'm so proud of his character. What a truly amazing young man.

tonight...you
07-07-2023, 10:34 PM
I liked what I saw, personally.

he will probably get clowned online but I think he is going to be a monster.
Zero doubt he's going to get dunked on.
Zero doubt players are going to hype.
Zero doubt he's going to affect an entire teams' half-court offense on a regular basis while he's on the court.

Very much so.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-07-2023, 10:34 PM
He's gonna have multiple quadruple doubles. Every year.

hombre
07-07-2023, 10:35 PM
Totally agree. I love that Wemby was visibly upset with his game in the postgame interview. He sets a high bar for himself.

GAustex
07-07-2023, 10:35 PM
19 year old kid
First game
Did not get hurt
It will be fine
Let him find his way

MultiTroll
07-07-2023, 10:46 PM
Need to get him a GNob and Parker, I don't mean exact style but he needs some other ballers on the court.
Hopefully much sooner rather then later.

Do it and watch the Chips roll in.

Also gonna need protection from goons and cheapshots.
Granpa needs to speak up to the refs. GTFO with your politically correct weak woke chit.
Already saw a couple cheapies tonight.

TheChillFactor
07-07-2023, 10:47 PM
you can already see it when he's on offense.

on defense he's going to impact the game at a high level immediately

Mugen
07-07-2023, 10:50 PM
He had 5 blocks tonight even though he spent most of the night guarding Brandon Miller 25 feet out for some fucking reason :lol

slick'81
07-07-2023, 10:51 PM
Wth is freaking out:lol other then his horrendous offense everything else was tremendous

Mnky
07-07-2023, 10:56 PM
Yea he had a huge presence but has no idea how to move off ball. They'll coach that to him. He clogs the lane when he should be clearing it and doesn't attack the basket off pick and rolls like he should either. He wants to be on the perimeter and he's gonna need to get over that concept of being the only player on top of the key. He needs to move the opposition away from his teammates, not towards them.

He showed flashes though and his defense will definitely stand out once he understands his responsibilities. Excited about the kid. I honestly thought he was gonna shoot like crap his first game.
He's a streaky shooter. He also left a bunch of gimme points on the board just rotating the wrong way. Those are all easily fixable. He's going to get a lot of easy stuff with his abilities. He seems to want the difficult stuff right now though.
Let's see his response on the next game.

Mugen
07-07-2023, 10:58 PM
Wth is freaking out:lol other then his horrendous offense everything else was tremendous

I thought his screen setting and his rebounding positioning was poor tbh. Both fixable but those parts are important and he was not good in those areas tonight.

Atl Spur
07-07-2023, 10:58 PM
Totally agree. I love that Wemby was visibly upset with his game in the postgame interview. He sets a high bar for himself.

Can’t coach that…….

Atl Spur
07-07-2023, 11:00 PM
I thought his screen setting and his rebounding positioning was poor tbh. Both fixable but those parts are important and he was not good in those areas tonight.

Agreed! His fluidity will be his saving grace initially while the rest of his game catches up.

DAF86
07-07-2023, 11:00 PM
his defense is always gonna be there, just hope the Spurs play to his strengths on offense.

cutewizard
07-07-2023, 11:14 PM
Watched it. Watched it all and while you guys have your points of contention over a teenager, I watched a kid break the game with his presence.

His offensive and especially his defensive gravity is unbelievable and nearly unheard of.
He's a game-breaker.

Go on and complain.

Agree

cutewizard
07-07-2023, 11:17 PM
Bottomline

WE ARE BLESSED TO HAVE HIM.

DAF86
07-07-2023, 11:24 PM
We really are.

murpjf88
07-07-2023, 11:26 PM
Wemby looks like a 7'3" stick figure out there. He'll blocks shots and score on lobs by default. He's going to be on a lot of poster early in his career and none of those posters are going to say Wemby unfortunately.

Russ
07-07-2023, 11:31 PM

He may be so pissed that he wants to play in Game 3.

I may stay.

offset formation
07-07-2023, 11:33 PM
I'll confess that after tonight I'm a bit more worried about a catastrophic injury than I was pre-draft. I think Euroball kept him out on the perimeter and the NBA game is gonna require a stronger post preference given how they're guarding him. And if he's in traffic more...

There were a couple times tonight, once was Bouknight and once was Kai Jones rolling up onto his lower extremities that he was able to kind of side step.

I just wish the kid a long healthy career. He deserves every second of it.

offset formation
07-07-2023, 11:35 PM
While we're on our new Frenchies, I want to add that I really like Cidy's defense and hustle. But DAMN, that kid might be the worst shooting player we've ever drafted

EricB
07-07-2023, 11:49 PM
His offense is fine, defense is fine.

let the kid be himself and play.

Vince Carter's ankle
07-07-2023, 11:55 PM
19 year old kid
First game
Did not get hurt
It will be fine
Let him find his way
mr Cleo?

GAustex
07-07-2023, 11:58 PM
mr Cleo?
Miss Cleo’s sock puppet is coming on to me.

Proxy
07-08-2023, 12:08 AM
yeah his defense was easy to see, looking forward to seeing his offense grow with the starters

horseshue
07-08-2023, 12:22 AM
He is already great defender, but i am worried about his shot. He airballed a lot of open looks. That is not good. But it's just a first game in summer league. On to the next one.

Atl Spur
07-08-2023, 12:40 AM
mr Cleo?

Don’t pet the animals!

Fireball
07-08-2023, 02:16 AM
I thought his screen setting and his rebounding positioning was poor tbh. Both fixable but those parts are important and he was not good in those areas tonight. That is what stood out to me as well ... wish Thiago Splitter would be a Spurs coach and not with the Rockets to teach Wemby some solid screen setting

BillMc
07-08-2023, 03:53 AM
All shot blockers end up on posters. If you're up there contesting the dunk, sometimes you'll miss and they'll make a poster. It's a good sign.

It'd be far worse if he shied away because he DIDN'T want to be embarrassed.

BillMc
07-08-2023, 04:25 AM
I wonder how much weight Wemby should put on over the next few years.

Do you want him to bulk up like a traditional big man to bang down low and aid with screen setting? Or do you keep him slim and mobile like Durant? Save weight on those knees and feet?

Fireball
07-08-2023, 04:41 AM

Do you want him to bulk up like a traditional big man to bang down low and aid with screen setting? Or do you keep him slim and mobile like Durant? Save weight on those knees and feet?

The latter ... awkwardly I spent a lot of his playing time looking at his knees and how it looked when he got off balance and it looks stressful. He already knows its better to fall on the ground than trying to keep himself up ... that is a good sign.

Tyronn Lue
07-08-2023, 10:54 AM

He needs to play to his strengths mentally and physically. He's not a banger in the paint but he can contribute there. Curious to see how his mid range game develops.

I'd pay season ticket prices to sit in on the practice sessions.

slick'81
07-08-2023, 10:57 AM
All shot blockers end up on posters. If you're up there contesting the dunk, sometimes you'll miss and they'll make a poster. It's a good sign.

It'd be far worse if he shied away because he DIDN'T want to be embarrassed.

david robinson ate tons of facials. The elite all get posterized

Mr. Body
07-08-2023, 11:10 AM
Not sure why they didn't get him moving around the basket more on cuts, etc. but figure they'll get that going eventually. There was a pick-n-roll where Julian found Barlow for a dunk and they should eventually do those more. The two modes of offense given to Victor were -- jack up a three or try to drive, where he was out of control and the ball was getting dug out from him.

On defense and the glass, he seemed passive at times, not going for help blocks the way I've seen in French league.

But the team has barely been able to practice and he's adjusting. Good showing, to me, and great teammates to play with. His passing looked great.

DesignatedT
07-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Yeah the offensive game plan did him no favors whatsoever. I know it Summer League but I am kind of surprised they didn't have anything installed to at least get him something easy. They definitely should have knowing the amount of pressure/eyeballs that are on him.

Russ
07-08-2023, 11:29 AM
Yeah the offensive game plan did him no favors whatsoever. I know it Summer League but I am kind of surprised they didn't have anything installed to at least get him something easy. They definitely should have knowing the amount of pressure/eyeballs that are on him.

Maybe they don't mind if he strugges at first.

Maybe they want his pride to kick in.

He'll probably have a very good game tomorrow against Portland..

He might even beg them to let him play the rest of the tournament.

Dex
07-08-2023, 11:34 AM

He's a game-breaker.

Go on and complain.

Exactly why I'm not freaking out.

First time on an NBA stage. No training camp. No warm-ups. No game plan. HUGE hype around him in the biggest hype city in America.

He's not going to be one of those players and puts up 30 every night right away.

He still showed all the instincts of a ready-made player...and he is 19 and this was his FIRST GAME. And he still blocked shots, dished out assists, and overall didn't get flustered.

The shooting and the scoring will come around. Everything else is already built.

daslicer
07-08-2023, 11:49 AM
I saw the huge impact he had on defense. He was able to control the game on the defensive end. His offense outside of his great passing was terrible. He missed a dunk and some drives to the hoop and his jump shot was bad. I will say that he does have great ball handling skills for his size and is able to dribble the ball up the court but he's going to have a hard time driving into the paint because guys are able to strip him due to his height. The refs also allowed guys to hack him and get away with it and if that's going to consistently happen, he will have to adjust.

It could take time for him to adjust offensively but the positive thing about him struggling on the offensive end is that he will be more than willing to listen to Pop and the coaching staff on how to improve offensively.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2023, 12:10 PM
Concern with Wembanyama is if he can avoid being physically broken.

Spurs were very fortunate that DRob was able to play as many games as he did in his career (though yes the ones he missed were impactful for the franchise as well.)

If Wembanyama can stay generally healthy the franchise should collect a few more Larry O’Briens by the end of the decade.