07-08-2023, 02:08 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-spurs-hornets-victor-wembanyama-debut/

:fro

onechance87
07-08-2023, 02:16 AM
we need a pg or another playmaker

John B
07-08-2023, 04:41 AM
Thanks Timvp. I thought Wemby did well despite the enormous pressure surrounding him, advertised nationally televised and in front of a sold out, celebrity packed arena. I wouldn’t worry too much. The whole team didn’t shoot well. But as Timvp mentioned, his defense was elite and that will translate in day 1 of the regular season. Playing along better shooters should open the lanes for him, along with better plays from Pop. I’m not worried.

Champagnie continues to sizzle. He is playing man among boys, his composure, strength. The game just basically slowed down on him and he’s able to pick his spots.

Malaki had a better game the orevious game. But I think the team tried to incorporate Victor and Malaki got lost somewhat as the go-to guy. I really think he excels better when he is expected to score and being the number one option in the court.

Blake needs to tighten those handles. I think he still plays a little too fast and needs to slow down and pick his opponent. Regardless, I think he produced well tonight, but still needs to be the best handles protecting the ball if he would play the PG.

Barlow I think complimented well. It wasn’t his best game, but able to compliment well and in flow of the team.

Cissoco was an energizer bunny. But yes he needs to be more disciplined not committing too many fouls. But I’llngive him a flyer as those were committed being actively defending and hassling. I think Pop will like his motor.

Tonight wasn’t the best game. But I think they’re playing the best team basketball and it says a lot about the maturity of our young players coming from the off-season. Good job all.

Bruno
07-08-2023, 05:35 AM
Cissoko has played a combined 69 minutes this summer and hasn't made a single FG. This has to be some kind of record.

I sincerely hope he will get out off this slump. It should be rough for him.

polandprzem
07-08-2023, 05:48 AM
B- for wemby ...

LJ has low expectations for this dude looks like :)

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-08-2023, 06:29 AM
Not worried about Wemby at all.

We saw what he can do on an off night and it's impressive - he bends the opposing team's defense with his mere presence and on defense he literally shrinks the court and makes everything that much more difficult - drives, shooting, everything, attackers always think twice and are mindful of him lurking because he can literally guard two positions/spaces on the court at the same time.

His offense might take a while, but his defense will be elite from day 1, no doubt whatsoever, and the intangibles he brings will help the other players as well.

baseline bum
07-08-2023, 06:33 AM
Sorry LJ, can't see that as a B- game from Wemby. Loved what I saw in the first half but the second half was burn the fucking tape bad on offense, as Wemby looked frustrated as hell.

Dejounte
07-08-2023, 06:49 AM
If Wemby is going to maintain this playstyle, he has to stop trying to dribble into a crowded paint. Just pull up when you see that or do a turnaround J. He’s thinking he can dribble all the way to the basket for a layup or dunk too often. This is what I said all predraft process long and what Draymond said recently— he’s not gonna get that easily in the NBA. He’s gotta discern better when he should and when he shouldnt.

LeBowen
07-08-2023, 07:04 AM
The only thing that was actually concerning for me was his rebounding.
He showed no effort. Not boxing out, not getting rebounds well within his range. Let's hope it's just down to not trying his best in summer league, but he definitely needs to be more engaged on the glass.

Offense went as expected. His first few jumpshots barely missed and then he lost confidence.
Handles are rough, but I don't really want him handling the ball as much.

One thing that was really annoying was him not getting any mid-range looks, seemed to be his game in France. Easy shots just outside of the paint.

I'm not worried at all.

Branham, Barlow and Champagnie played as expected, will definitely get good minutes this seaosn.
Cissoko looks like a potential lockdown defender, but his offense is disgustingly bad other than some nice passes.

Wesley...idk. He most definitely can't run the point in the NBA and there's no way Pop gives him minutes at point unless he makes significant improvements.
Branham is way more composed, but still not a true point guard.

Dejounte
07-08-2023, 07:10 AM
The only thing that was actually concerning for me was his rebounding.
He showed no effort. Not boxing out, not getting rebounds well within his range. Let's hope it's just down to not trying his best in summer league, but he definitely needs to be more engaged on the glass.

Offense went as expected. His first few jumpshots barely missed and then he lost confidence.
Handles are rough, but I don't really want him handling the ball as much.

One thing that was really annoying was him not getting any mid-range looks, seemed to be his game in France. Easy shots just outside of the paint.

I'm not worried at all.

Branham, Barlow and Champagnie played as expected, will definitely get good minutes this seaosn.
Cissoko looks like a potential lockdown defender, but his offense is disgustingly bad other than some nice passes.

Wesley...idk. He most definitely can't run the point in the NBA and there's no way Pop gives him minutes at point unless he makes significant improvements.
Branham is way more composed, but still not a true point guard.

What I fear is that Wemby will play for the “ooh and aahs” of the crowd. It certainly seemed that way the entire game, like he was trying to show off his repertoire. The crossovers are nice but if he relies on it so much, it’s just going to lead to turnover after turnover. Playing winning basketball is what matters.

my opinion on the pg situation is that I dont really care how the offense is being set up if we’re constantly winning by +10. Something is being done right when it’s like that tbh. It may be that Wesley’s defense outweighs whatever a true pg would provide.

Davidicus
07-08-2023, 07:12 AM
You could tell Wemby was nervous during the game, and looked a little shell-shocked after the game. He sounded disappointed in his game but stuck to "glad we got the team win" which shows maturity. The more failure right now the better imo.

emanueldavidginobili
07-08-2023, 07:28 AM
Wemby was nervous and anxious as fuck plain and simple he will be more than fine. When he came over to the US about 9 months ago and played those two games against Scoot and the G league Ignite he had 37 points and 36 points in those two games and looked great and looked nothing how he did last night.

https://youtu.be/LU9KvI6IThM

https://youtu.be/Vwc1anDmZjM

RC_Drunkford
07-08-2023, 07:51 AM
this was a brick fest

DPG21920
07-08-2023, 07:52 AM
Too many inefficient offensive possessions. Spurs cannot let him be content for half his possessions to be settled for fade aways.

Like timvp mentioned he needs to be putting pressure on rim - with what he showed passing he can handle making right decisions if he is going towards rim.

Defense he can absorb a ton. He can freelance for sure. Will be interesting to see if his instincts and ability to read plays vs just absorb them comes a long because if so he’s DPoy

vander
07-08-2023, 07:59 AM
based on this game I'm pretty sure Wemby can be an elite role player. probably one of the best ever

BatManu20
07-08-2023, 08:04 AM
B- for Wemby is…. generous. That was hard to watch last night tbh :lol. About as bad a debut offensively as we could’ve imagined. No offensive game plan with Wemby whatsoever, just letting him iso from the top of the key every possession like he’s Kobe Bryant which resulted in a turnover or a missed shot every single time. Shit was terrible. He’s 7’4 FFS, get him some looks near the basket! He’s not a good enough shooter to solely rely on jump shots to score.

Defensively he was great as expected at least, which was his only saving grace last night. Really need to get him moving in some PnR’s (despite his weak screening ability, he needs to improve), and need to run some cross-actions for him down low to get him some easy looks around the basket.

mo7888
07-08-2023, 08:26 AM
I liked what I saw for the most part. His confidence wasn't there which surprised me, but that will come around once he has a more structured offensive system. As for his issues handling and turning it over on drives, that'll come around too. He's feeling it out and finding what he can't do here. He's smart and will figure that out real quickly. As for position and the argument between people who tjink hes a 4 and those who think he's a 5, i think he looks more like a 3/4 on both ends. He's not physical or aggressive enough to guard 5's and watching how he defended Miller on the perimeter made me feel pretty comfortable projecting him guarding most 3's. My biggest concern was aggression in the paint and on the boards. I 'think' that a product of his slight frame...at least i hope thats why its not there yet.

Dejounte
07-08-2023, 08:43 AM
https://twitter.com/espnnba/status/1677510297903570944?s=46

This gives people comfort? It’s exactly like I predicted. Expecting wemby to guard players like this on a consistent basis is going to lead to failure. Plus, I say again, look at the players who are on the court. Miller is playing the 4 man here, and Wemby has almost exclusively (except on necessary switches) defended either the big man or the second to the biggest big man, which happens to be Miller whom the Blazers put out as their 4.

dbestpro
07-08-2023, 08:54 AM
The Spurs had little trouble with offense last year but was horrible at defense. Wemby immediately makes us light-years better on that side of the ball.

polandprzem
07-08-2023, 08:55 AM

This gives people comfort? It’s exactly like I predicted. Expecting wemby to guard players like this on a consistent basis is going to lead to failure. Plus, I say again, look at the players who are on the court. Miller is playing the 4 man here, and Wemby has almost exclusively (except on necessary switches) defended either the big man or the second to the biggest big man, which happens to be Miller whom the Blazers put out as their 4.

If that;s the case we can kiss switches goodbye.... And in todays NBA switches are everything

slick'81
07-08-2023, 09:01 AM
Thank god he has pop and this development staff

Pauleta14
07-08-2023, 09:04 AM
B- for wemby ...

LJ has low expectations for this dude looks like :)

Low expectations for THAT game

Wemby said himself in interview he sometimes had no idea what he had to do and played with guys he never played with and have diff goals that preparing the season.
He was rarely set up and had to improvise most of the time.

offset formation
07-08-2023, 09:15 AM
If Wemby is going to maintain this playstyle, he has to stop trying to dribble into a crowded paint. Just pull up when you see that or do a turnaround J. He’s thinking he can dribble all the way to the basket for a layup or dunk too often. This is what I said all predraft process long and what Draymond said recently— he’s not gonna get that easily in the NBA. He’s gotta discern better when he should and when he shouldnt.

>50% of his offense needs to come from pick and rolls with a quick dynamic PG. Once you've established this in a game the rest will open up, and not only for him but also for his teammates.

Defensively, he's going to be coached up on court awareness and rotations. There were several times where a play was made behind him or where a board came off but he had his back or head turned.

And yes, he cannot dribble through traffic. His dribble is too high and that's not because he dribbles high its because he's 7'5" so his handles are just too high.

Pop and the coaches will find out how to make him lethal out there however in some combination of PnR or PnP, with less perimeter play.

His rotations need some help in the interior especially. On the perimeter he switched ok, but often left 3 pt shooters with too much space.

Overall, he's just got to adapt to the spacing, flow, skill, and athleticism of the NBA.

And he will. But it's not gonna happen overnight.

Dex
07-08-2023, 09:22 AM

Yeah, his dribbling was easily disrupted and NBA players will be even harder to go against.

Once he gets set up with the big boy club, Spurs should be better suited to get him the ball in the right spots instead of him trying to do it all himself.

Also should watch some tape on KD. Durant has handles but you rarely see him getting flashy with his dribble...just kinda keeps it simple and dribbles straight into his spot and into his shot.

Mugen
07-08-2023, 09:24 AM
I'd hate to see what a C or lower game looks like tbh :lol

Mugen
07-08-2023, 09:26 AM
He looked like a guy trying to fit within a gameplan when he had no idea what the gameplan was. He'll be fine once he gets more reps in the system.

I'm not a fan of the old man but even I don't think he'd have Wemby out 25feet guarding perimeter players (hoping that was just to keep him from getting injuries in the paint in SL).

Dex
07-08-2023, 09:27 AM
For Wesley, we can't fail to call out that he is getting eaten alive at the rim. I've lost count of how many times he's barrelled in for a layup just to have his shot stuffed back in his face.

He either needs to learn to be more crafty around the rim, or develop a little floater or something because what he is doing now will not translate to the NBA.

dbestpro
07-08-2023, 09:30 AM
Wesley would benefit from greater use of change of speed than his constant foot on the gas.

BillMc
07-08-2023, 09:30 AM
Far more worried about Blake than Wemby.

slick'81
07-08-2023, 09:36 AM
For Wesley, we can't fail to call out that he is getting eaten alive at the rim. I've lost count of how many times he's barrelled in for a layup just to have his shot stuffed back in his face.

He either needs to learn to be more crafty around the rim, or develop a little floater or something because what he is doing now will not translate to the NBA.

yea its weird. He needs to throw that shit down like he did in college

BatManu20
07-08-2023, 09:37 AM
Blake Wesley just seems low IQ to me tbh. Like you think he’d realize after the 10th time of driving it to the cup and getting his shit thrown back in his face that he prob shouldn’t do that anymore, or at least try to change it up, yet he keeps doing it. Repeatedly. Was hoping he’d take a big step forward this season, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. He’s young and he’s got the physical tools so I’m trying to hold out hope, and there’s still some time, but I’m not holding my breath with him tbh. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being Lonnie 2.0 and doesn’t have a long-term future with this franchise.

GAustex
07-08-2023, 09:41 AM
I wonder see if the Vegas over/under moved after the game

MultiTroll
07-08-2023, 09:53 AM

1st Kobme Miller shuffles his pivot feet without dribbling. Clearly a travel. Ok the NBA does not call that. Whatever.
2nd. while dribbling and after the first crossover, certainly looks like Miller touched the ball with both hands. Double dribble. Regardless, if Wemby saw Miller touch with both hands, that would indicate Miller is gathering the ball to shoot. Hence Wemby moves in.

Need to see a clear angle on Miller touching with both hands -or not.
If so, Miller and all the slurping over this play can shove it.

Also, clearly an on purpose forearm to the neck of Wemby. That was total bullshit.

I predict Wemby will posterize the hell out of Kobme Miller the next op he gets. And hopefully that is in the regular season.

cd98
07-08-2023, 09:59 AM
If they want Wemby to score 20+ points with 3 practices with new teammates, then he either needed to be on fire for threes or they needed to get him down low for higher percentage shots. I can see he’s not comfortable yet on the block. He had to dribble to get to his spots and once he did, he was in a crowd. But he didn’t roll on any pick and rolls, he only shot threes and he’s a 27% shooter out there. He’s got good mechanics, but he’s not Durant level shooter.

MultiTroll
07-08-2023, 10:14 AM
I liked what I saw for the most part. His confidence wasn't there which surprised me, but that will come around once he has a more structured offensive system. As for his issues handling and turning it over on drives, that'll come around too. He's feeling it out and finding what he can't do here. He's smart and will figure that out real quickly. As for position and the argument between people who tjink hes a 4 and those who think he's a 5, i think he looks more like a 3/4 on both ends. He's not physical or aggressive enough to guard 5's and watching how he defended Miller on the perimeter made me feel pretty comfortable projecting him guarding most 3's

Wemby said himself in interview he sometimes had no idea what he had to do and played with guys he never played with and have diff goals that preparing the season.

Once he gets set up with the big boy club, Spurs should be better suited to get him the ball in the right spots instead of him trying to do it all himself.

All of this Xs 1000.
This was like a rat ball game at the park where players did not know, or care to know how the other person played.
When Wemby had the ball the other Spurs made little attempt to get open or run an NFL wide receiver route to get the assist pass from Wemby. The few times they did, it looked GREAT. That Wemby drive and shovel pass to ___ for the dunk. Loved it.

Hey it was game 1. But ya some kind of team ball needs to happen even in SL. In reg season there damn well better be an offensive strategy.
Myself i did not see 1 player I'd want on the roster with Wemby (Not sharing with the Champagne slurping) but again, it's only 1 game.

Lets suppose Wemby was named Scrub McDubb, trying to ear a roster spot from Missouri State.
The opening game switch hand left handed banker. The shovel pass for the dunk. The block of Millers trey.
We'd be doing farking cartwheels at the performance and potential.

polandprzem
07-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Low expectations for THAT game

It is game of basketball not a game of excuses. You do lower expectations cause the player is whining? GTFOOH

Atl Spur
07-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Thank god he has pop and this development staff

Pop is somewhere giddy….. not Josh though

polandprzem
07-08-2023, 11:24 AM
1st Kobme Miller shuffles his pivot feet without dribbling. Clearly a travel. Ok the NBA does not call that. Whatever.
2nd. while dribbling and after the first crossover, certainly looks like Miller touched the ball with both hands. Double dribble. Regardless, if Wemby saw Miller touch with both hands, that would indicate Miller is gathering the ball to shoot. Hence Wemby moves in.

Need to see a clear angle on Miller touching with both hands -or not.
If so, Miller and all the slurping over this play can shove it.

Also, clearly an on purpose forearm to the neck of Wemby. That was total bullshit.

I predict Wemby will posterize the hell out of Kobme Miller the next op he gets. And hopefully that is in the regular season.
:lol

Does not matter when Wemby was way out of position there.

Mr. Body
07-08-2023, 11:25 AM
Whole team was clearly nervous and wanting to play well for Victor. There's chemistry issues pushing a huge, unknown figure into a team that was already humming. They'll figure this out.

One kinda slight worry is that the team was much slower paced with Wembanyama tonight than the previous games, where they were hard to handle. I hope they don't sacrifice the ability to move on teams because he's slower. (I feel like comfort will get his timing and decision making more in line.)

Meanwhile, Julian Champagnie... hoo boy. To me the best player in SL so far.

Mr. Body
07-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Also, Wemby has the problem Chet Holmgren is facing in his games: he can't handle the ball against NBA-type players like he used to. They're going to dig the ball out. Chet keeps trying this behind-the-back dribble, the Luca Samanic special. Both he and Holgren are smart and agile enough to figure it out.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2023, 11:33 AM
Wemby was nervous and anxious as fuck plain and simple he will be more than fine. When he came over to the US about 9 months ago and played those two games against Scoot and the G league Ignite he had 37 points and 36 points in those two games and looked great and looked nothing how he did last night.

https://youtu.be/LU9KvI6IThM

https://youtu.be/Vwc1anDmZjM

The vast majority of the points he scores here are from the outside. He missed so many jumpers tonight. These videos are also in an offensive system where he is comfortable as opposed to just not knowing where to be last night.

I don't even care, honestly. The handles, the agility, they were all there. The shooting will be fine I'm sure. Its the positioning where he was lost and that'll work itself out. Thats why we have coaches.

And on the defensive end, he completely changed the game.

paperboy77
07-08-2023, 11:36 AM
To me, Sidy probably deserved a B. Definitely needs to work overtime on his shooting but the guy is a pretty good defender. He doesn't seem to be an issue for the team and knows his role. A lot of those fouls were shit calls by the refs. I hope they figure a way to keep this dude on the team.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2023, 11:38 AM
I have to say people thinking the B- is generous are only basing that off one side of the court. Wemby changed the game so fucking much on D! Its amazing to see all the hot takes about him on offense and what needs to happen after this game.

rascal
07-08-2023, 12:02 PM
I have to say people thinking the B- is generous are only basing that off one side of the court. Wemby changed the game so fucking much on D! Its amazing to see all the hot takes about him on offense and what needs to happen after this game.

Good on one side and bad on the other is a grade of C.

rascal
07-08-2023, 12:07 PM
Wemby should have been graded an F.

It was a failure and if he plays the entire season like this it would be a failure for the expectations of a generational number one draft pick.

No other way to spin it. He had a bad game.

Expect improvement moving forward.

Seventyniner
07-08-2023, 12:22 PM
Carlton with that 5 trillion. Nice.

florige
07-08-2023, 12:22 PM
Yeah, his dribbling was easily disrupted and NBA players will be even harder to go against.

Also should watch some tape on KD. Durant has handles but you rarely see him getting flashy with his dribble...just kinda keeps it simple and dribbles straight into his spot and into his shot.

Like someone else mentioned it really seemed like he was trying to show off a little bit for the crowd at first. It looked to me once he got stripped a few times it really hurt his confidence going forward in the game on the offensive end.

Seventyniner
07-08-2023, 12:27 PM

imo this is because there are so many stats tracked on offense, but Wemby's only defensive stat that will ever jump off the page is blocks. His ability to deter opponents from even taking shots near the rim will be invaluable and won't show up in the box score.

slick'81
07-08-2023, 12:28 PM
imo this is because there are so many stats tracked on offense, but Wemby's only defensive stat that will ever jump off the page is blocks. His ability to deter opponents from even taking shots near the rim will be invaluable and won't show up in the box score.

Dude is a monster of d. Hes already gobert lite

John B
07-08-2023, 12:30 PM
There’s a moment there when they brought Wemby back and it’s the last 4 or so minutes of the game, Pop was shown smiling as it’s approval. I don’t know if that’s for bringing back Wemby or something Coach Brown or somebody said. But it’s as if, yup just bring the kid out there. Let him get more feel of the game approval.

Tyronn Lue
07-08-2023, 12:43 PM
B- for Wemby is…. generous. That was hard to watch last night tbh :lol. About as bad a debut offensively as we could’ve imagined. No offensive game plan with Wemby whatsoever, just letting him iso from the top of the key every possession like he’s Kobe Bryant which resulted in a turnover or a missed shot every single time. Shit was terrible. He’s 7’4 FFS, get him some looks near the basket! He’s not a good enough shooter to solely rely on jump shots to score.

Defensively he was great as expected at least, which was his only saving grace last night. Really need to get him moving in some PnR’s (despite his weak screening ability, he needs to improve), and need to run some cross-actions for him down low to get him some easy looks around the basket.
:pop: "let him iso up top, get that shit out of his system so he can get over himself early"

DPG21920
07-08-2023, 12:44 PM

And that was just with his natural abilities - imagine when instead of just reacting and using his physical tools, he is reading the game better, anticipating things and actively defending.

He looks like a DPOY candidate already *potentially* and compared to someone like Gobert for example, hes already far ahead on offense comparatively on potential and base skill set that Rudy ever was.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-08-2023, 01:18 PM
Not sure if it was said in the game thread but, once the first few didn't go down, Wemby's energy level dropped and he mostly listlessly wandered around the midrange and wasn't looking for the ball. At times, he was standing around and watching and wasn't moving toward the rim when shots went up. But I think it was a combination of the crazy pressure, lack of practice, opening night jitters, and disappointment in himself that caused a lot of his issues. A few games under his belt and he'll be as right as the mail.

Mr. Body
07-08-2023, 01:24 PM
And that was just with his natural abilities - imagine when instead of just reacting and using his physical tools, he is reading the game better, anticipating things and actively defending.

He looks like a DPOY candidate already *potentially* and compared to someone like Gobert for example, hes already far ahead on offense comparatively on potential and base skill set that Rudy ever was.

I would have drafted him number one for defense alone.

Borosai
07-08-2023, 01:37 PM
Wemby will be fine. The offense was a mess as others have mentioned. Mostly giving him the ball at the 3-point line and watching him try to do something. He may have above-average ball skills for a big, but that's still not easy. Not concerned after one SL game. Most of the guys didn't shoot well (being generous), and they won.

Shompanyee on the other hand... this is his summer league.

Tyronn Lue
07-08-2023, 01:48 PM
I would have drafted him number one for defense alone.
You think he can block Joker's fade away one foot short range?

BatManu20
07-08-2023, 02:05 PM

No way they let Wemby guard Joker this season. He’d back his ass down for an easy layup every time. Even with Wemby’s length, he wouldn’t stand a chance 1-on-1 tbh.

polandprzem
07-08-2023, 03:03 PM
Not sure if it was said in the game thread but, once the first few didn't go down, Wemby's energy level dropped and he mostly listlessly wandered around the midrange and wasn't looking for the ball. At times, he was standing around and watching and wasn't moving toward the rim when shots went up. But I think it was a combination of the crazy pressure, lack of practice, opening night jitters, and disappointment in himself that caused a lot of his issues. A few games under his belt and he'll be as right as the mail.

If he is a front-runner it is nit good. Where is the scouting report?

tonight...you
07-08-2023, 03:20 PM
If he is a front-runner it is nit good. Where is the scouting report?
You seem to have been low-key dogging Wemby for a hot minute from his weight routine to his game without any balance the other way.
What's up? You no likey?

polandprzem
07-08-2023, 03:45 PM
You seem to have been low-key dogging Wemby for a hot minute from his weight routine to his game without any balance the other way.
What's up? You no likey?
nope the pst above is fun one.

we are on the same side but thee is so much hype around this dude and i d scrath my head just because I've been into spots for a loooong time and seen it all awes wows etc. and to me he is nowhere close or me to be in awe tbh. I need to see him against competition that is adequate to the level he is gonna compete in his pro life.

I never gie points for looks for heights and so on.

as for his weight routine - article came out and there were no insight what so ever. Only some PR that what he is doing is good... duuuh. They showed me nothing new and he is still raw plus iv'e been training for over 30 years and coaching as well.
So as of right now I have no evidence of his body development....

I only can watch how he moves and how it looks frrom athletic standpoint. And for a 19y old he is pretty weak. his agility for a 7'5" is really good. for and NBA player it's below decent.

ppl can walk around this board with boner all the time reading some articles and stuff.

A one in generation player? Not yet. But intriguing prospect. Interesting enough to wake me up more on whats going on in San Antonio.

In six months we will know much more. The system will be more or less set and he will be more comfortable with his game and ability against proper competition.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2023, 03:52 PM
Wemby wants to work the high and low posts. He wants to be on both ends of the pnr and isoes. The goal is to run the offense through him. Then there is the defense.

This is a player development situation and it sure looked like the staff overloaded him.

OH NOES!!

It's like people have never been involved with organized, competitive sports.

tonight...you
07-08-2023, 03:52 PM

we are on the same side but thee is so much hype around this dude and i d scrath my head just because I've been into spots for a loooong time and seen it all awes wows etc. and to me he is nowhere close or me to be in awe tbh. I need to see him against competition that is adequate to the level he is gonna compete in his pro life.

as for his weight routine - article came out and there were no insight what so ever. Only some PR that what he is doing is good... duuuh. They showed me nothing new and he is still raw plus iv'e been training for over 30 years and coaching as well.

I only can watch how he moves and how it looks frrom athletic standpoint. And for a 19y old he is pretty weak. his agility for a 7'5" is really good. for and NBA player it's below decent.

ppl can walk around this board with boner all the time reading some articles and stuff.

A one in generation player? Not yet. But intriguing prospect. Interesting enough to wake me up more on whats going on in San Antonio.

In six months we will know much more. The system will be more or less set and he will be more comfortable with his game and ability against proper competition.
Right on. Thank you for the perspective.

Mr. Body
07-08-2023, 03:56 PM

Does he win a prize or something if he does?

Mr. Body
07-08-2023, 03:57 PM

Your posts continue to be really stupid.

heyheymymy
07-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Victor looked fine last night for what it was. Minimal effort with zero playbook knowledge yet surrounded by mostly walk-ons and probably nervous plus anxious some crazy Brit fan might charge at him. Still almost a double double. 3 pointer and 1. Blocked Brandon Miller on the 3 point line. Good distribution, clever passing. 5 blocks?

Defensively impactful in ways that don't hit the stat sheet.

Last night was just a proof of concept for Victor and it was a success. If you watched LNB playoffs you have more data than one amateur Summer League game and against probably net equal or even perhaps better talent than Summer League scrubs anyway. The overall dataset favors optimism that Victor's greatness will indeed translate in a big way. Don't look at the leaf and ignore the forest.

Chomag
07-08-2023, 04:51 PM
The only thing that worries me about Wemby is that the coaching staff seems clueless on how they want to play him.

Everything that Wemby struggled in his first game is fixable and I think he will bounce back just fine..

Chomag
07-08-2023, 04:57 PM
Another big thing that I noticed is Wemby's knack of disrupting the flow if the opposing team's offense. Dude is going to be a juggernaut there.

Dejounte
07-08-2023, 05:07 PM
From 30th defense to number 1 defense in the league and it’ll all be because of one guy tbh

RC_Drunkford
07-08-2023, 05:48 PM
The Spurs should use Wembanyama like they used LaMarcus Aldridge. Run the same plays. High low with him and Zach Collins. Alley oop curl. Pick & Pop. Pick & Roll. Corner 3 spot-ups and left block isos. Simple.

All these off the dribble isos are useless, he can do that in transition where the defense is not set and he got more space to operate.

tonight...you
07-08-2023, 05:59 PM
The Spurs should use Wembanyama like they used LaMarcus Aldridge. Run the same plays. High low with him and Zach Collins. Alley oop curl. Pick & Pop. Pick & Roll. Corner 3 spot-ups and left block isos. Simple.

All these off the dribble isos are useless, he can do that in transition where the defense is not set and he got more space to operate.
I am almost of the opinion that they wanted him to be in that position and for him to try and do what he does on the dribble so he can see the success/failure rate of his game that he wants to play against pseudo NBA competition.

He needs to find out what he can and cannot do sooner than later and grow from there.

exstatic
07-08-2023, 06:18 PM

My favorite play of his was a foul, but had to terrify players around the league. Dude was driving to the right side of the rim, threw his body solidly into Wemby, and drew contact from his right arm, but Wemby snaked his left arm over and Karch Kiraly’d the ball hard enough to leave a dent in the floor.

HankChinaski
07-08-2023, 06:54 PM
I am almost of the opinion that they wanted him to be in that position and for him to try and do what he does on the dribble so he can see the success/failure rate of his game that he wants to play against pseudo NBA competition.

He needs to find out what he can and cannot do sooner than later and grow from there.

This is pretty much my thoughts about Wemby 's play on the offensive end.

Tyronn Lue
07-09-2023, 09:53 AM
No way they let Wemby guard Joker this season. He’d back his ass down for an easy layup every time. Even with Wemby’s length, he wouldn’t stand a chance 1-on-1 tbh.
I was referring to weak side help.

Tyronn Lue
07-09-2023, 09:55 AM
Does he win a prize or something if he does?
It depends on the moment.