PDA

View Full Version : Scoot Henderson to sit out Summer League matchup with Wembanyama due to shoulder injury

spursparker9
07-09-2023, 08:09 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/scoot-henderson-sit-summer-league-013104359.html

Guess Wemby won't have to guard Scoot afterall.

exstatic
07-09-2023, 08:10 AM
Do people really think Wemby is playing again?

XenoThirteen
07-09-2023, 08:35 AM
I think he should be playing for another game at the very least. The reps would be good for him to get used to the NBA speed, and it would be good for his confidence to at least try to end his Summer League stint on a positive note.

Dejounte
07-09-2023, 08:39 AM
I figure it would be announced by now if Wemby wasn’t playing. A lot of people are going to the game just to see him.

exstatic
07-09-2023, 08:39 AM
I think he should be playing for another game at the very least. The reps would be good for him to get used to the NBA speed, and it would be good for his confidence to at least try to end his Summer League stint on a positive note.

Before the SL, they said he was going to play one or two games, total, and he’s already played one. If he plays tonight, and doesn’t play well, do you keep playing him until he does?

CGD
07-09-2023, 08:41 AM
Yes— I don’t think the Spurs want it, but the player will. I also think he is aware of the narratives after game 1 and wants a chance to show something else.

XenoThirteen
07-09-2023, 08:47 AM
Before the SL, they said he was going to play one or two games, total, and he’s already played one. If he plays tonight, and doesn’t play well, do you keep playing him until he does?

I’d like to operate under the assumption that he is capable of playing a little bit better than what he showed vs Charlotte.

If he doesn’t, then I guess this forum will have one of its patented meltdowns again. Good thing I don’t have twitter or IG. Won’t have to deal with the barrage of memes that will ensue.

edit: Besides, I think he’s a pretty competitive kid. I don’t think it would sit well with him if he didn’t at least have the chance to redeem himself.

kxs783kms
07-09-2023, 08:58 AM
One of Wemby's request to the Spurs is that they let him play and not hold him back. He'll play and he'll play much better tonight.

RC_Drunkford
07-09-2023, 09:12 AM

he obviously plays this game. The one against Miller and the one vs. Scoot were always the ones where he'd play. Scoot being out doesn't change any of that

vander
07-09-2023, 09:14 AM

maybe I'm dumb, but what's the upside of not playing, and what's the downside of playing?

Uriel
07-09-2023, 09:14 AM
Is it just me or do top draft picks seem disproportionately likely to get hurt during summer league or summer scrimmages? Amen Thompson, Scoot Henderson. Chet got injured last summer and even Zion Williamson got hurt his first summer league game.

emanueldavidginobili
07-09-2023, 09:26 AM
Apart from getting injured one of the other reasons why people thought he might not play a lot in summer league was because he was too good. That obviously wasn’t the case the first game. He could use at least another game, and I’m sure he wants to go out there and try to redeem himself.

Ariel
07-09-2023, 10:18 AM
Is it just me or do top draft picks seem disproportionately likely to get hurt during summer league or summer scrimmages? Amen Thompson, Scoot Henderson. Chet got injured last summer and even Zion Williamson got hurt his first summer league game.
Chet Holmgren didn't get injured in summer league, it was after that in a game in Seattle (against LeBron, who doesn't play summer league). But you could have added Shaedon Sharpe to the list. Injuries happen, there's 10 top-10 picks every year (duh!) and a few of them are going to get hurt and those are the ones you remember. But also there's a lot of caution, maybe Scoot could play still but they won't risk him anyway, if this was the playoffs he'd play through. That likely plays a part as well.

MannyIsGod
07-09-2023, 10:52 AM

The fact that you can't name one 10th man on a summer league team who got hurt isn't because it doesn't happen but rather because no one cares so its unreported. Also high draft picks get shut down with the most minor of injuries because why push it?

Dex
07-09-2023, 10:55 AM

I think you give him one more shot to shake off those first-game jitters. I don't see the point of just trotting him out there for only one game.

If he does well tonight, it will boost his overall confidence and help get him acclimated.

If he does poorly, then it will be a coachable moment to show him he still has a lot of work to do.

Otherwise, anything he did on Friday could be chalked up to "well it was just one game"

baseline bum
07-09-2023, 10:56 AM

Thought they said two or three games.

spursparker9
07-09-2023, 10:58 AM
Tbh, Wemby got to play. Got to end with a good note

OldMan88
07-09-2023, 11:22 AM
He needs the conditioning. He was walking up the floor a lot and breathing heavily. Let him continue to roam the perimeter. If he goes to the hole, every opposing player will try to get a piece of him. It’s one thing to get slammed during the season, but getting whacked by some dude who will never see a regular season minute is another.

exstatic
07-09-2023, 11:40 AM
He needs the conditioning. He was walking up the floor a lot and breathing heavily. Let him continue to roam the perimeter. If he goes to the hole, every opposing player will try to get a piece of him. It’s one thing to get slammed during the season, but getting whacked by some dude who will never see a regular season minute is another.

He’s an 83% FT shooter, so that doesn’t sound like a great defensive plan. As poorly as he played in some facets of the game,he didn’t miss a FT, 4-4.

dbestpro
07-09-2023, 11:56 AM
This is why you don't try to prove yourself in summer ball unless you are a fringe player. There are other fringe players willing to take you out to try and prove themselves.

dbestpro
07-09-2023, 11:58 AM
maybe I'm dumb, but what's the upside of not playing, and what's the downside of playing?

The same thing.

exstatic
07-09-2023, 11:59 AM
This is why you don't try to prove yourself in summer ball unless you are a fringe player. There are other fringe players willing to take you out to try and prove themselves.

If someone injured him and took him out, they’d never playin the NBA. Ever. End of the dream.

rascal
07-09-2023, 12:20 PM
I expect Wemby to play better in his 2nd game on fewer minutes.

R. DeMurre
07-09-2023, 12:29 PM
Imagine if Wemby had gotten hurt in his first game! The chorus of I-told-you-sos would've been deafening. But Scoot and Amen get hurt and people just shrug their shoulders and say no big deal, injuries happen.

SpursFan86
07-09-2023, 02:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of the idea of sitting him in SL. It'd be one thing if he was dominating the competition and clearly looked like he didn't need to be out there, but at this point he could really use the experience to help get acclimated to the different style of play. Not saying we should be trotting him out there for 30+ minutes, but 15-20 minutes a night would go far IMO. He's also made it clear he wants to play as much as possible; I'm sure he'd prefer the extra playing time as well.

emanueldavidginobili
07-09-2023, 09:38 PM
Apart from getting injured one of the other reasons why people thought he might not play a lot in summer league was because he was too good. That obviously wasn’t the case the first game. He could use at least another game, and I’m sure he wants to go out there and try to redeem himself.
Definitely redeemed himself, time to shut it down and get ready for the real season.