PDA

View Full Version : Wemby reminds me of that guy I made in create-a-player when I was 9 in NBA Live 2003

Millennial_Messiah
07-09-2023, 11:50 PM
7'6" (max height allowed in the game) with every attribute in the 90s. Except three point shooting, I guess.

Unfortunately we also had prime Duncan back then too which would have been sweet, but I guess we'll have to settle for Zach Collins manning that spot now...

Wemby is video game tier

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2023, 05:21 AM
yeh i also had 03 live on pc and the ps....

live 06 i kept on making a 6-9 lebron type player with braids like sprewell....

i use to make ncaa top20 lottery picks into the game and just simulate just like that rockets manager

Obstructed_View
07-10-2023, 12:02 PM
This is very accurate. Victor is, by far, the most skilled seven footer ever. People think he needs a sky hook when he already has several moves that are virtually indefensible. Even if his offense never came around, he will win defensive player of the year so many times they'll name the trophy after him. His handles and his shot are already superior to every other big in the league, his hands are soft, and despite what some people want to suggest, he has very impressive strength for his length.

And to add to his skill, he has every mental aptitude you could want. He's loyal, he's all about team and winning, he has no ego and he has a drive to be great. He sits on the bench and actuvely roots for his team. In addition, he has a work ethic that is second to none and he is constantly working to keep himself strong and flexible.

He is as smart as any 19 year old I have ever seen. He changes from defense to offense in a flash, he knows where everyone is supposed to be, and he takes and gives direction well.

kht
07-10-2023, 12:28 PM
This is very accurate. Victor is, by far, the most skilled seven footer ever. People think he needs a sky hook when he already has several moves that are virtually indefensible. Even if his offense never came around, he will win defensive player of the year so many times they'll name the trophy after him. His handles and his shot are already superior to every other big in the league, his hands are soft, and despite what some people want to suggest, he has very impressive strength for his length.

And to add to his skill, he has every mental aptitude you could want. He's loyal, he's all about team and winning, he has no ego and he has a drive to be great. He sits on the bench and actuvely roots for his team. In addition, he has a work ethic that is second to none and he is constantly working to keep himself strong and flexible.

He is as smart as any 19 year old I have ever seen. He changes from defense to offense in a flash, he knows where everyone is supposed to be, and he takes and gives direction well.

Stop it... you are forgetting Sabonis, Dirk, Wilt, Shaq... Right now? No he's not even close to the most skilled seven footer ever.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2023, 12:38 PM
Stop it... you are forgetting Sabonis, Dirk, Wilt, Shaq... Right now? No he's not even close to the most skilled seven footer ever.
Sabonis might be the closest, but we will never know because he didn't play against NBA players until he was over the hill.

Dirk lol.

Wilt was an amazing athlete but he couldn't fucking shoot.

Shaq was big and strong but couldn't dribble or shoot.

The closest thing to Victor is probably David, who was a guard who grew to 7'1". David had a great shooting touch, elite quickness, and was the best face-up center ever. Victor is a better ball handler and shooter, and he's not old enough to drink.

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2023, 11:02 AM

Durant's perimeter offense, Kareem's paint offense, Bill Russell's defense, Tim Duncan's loyalty and ego, and Kobe Bryant's basketball work ethic all in one package. :toast

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2023, 11:04 AM
yeh i also had 03 live on pc and the ps....

live 06 i kept on making a 6-9 lebron type player with braids like sprewell....

i use to make ncaa top20 lottery picks into the game and just simulate just like that rockets manager

I owned NBA Live from 2003 to '07. NBA Live 2005 was the last really great NBA Live IMO. Also 2005 (the one with Melo on the front cover) had the best graphics engine, simulation, franchise mode, and even all the All Star Saturday Night events within franchise mode. Deep franchise mode too. It was a hell of a good time.

After that, the franchise started with the gimmicky stupid stuff like freestyle superstars which kind of turned the game into an arcadey nightmare and NBA 2K quickly came in and became the better of the two basketball video game franchises by focusing on basketball realism and simulation and before long easily became the better of the two franchises. NBA Live kept getting worse and worse from there and eventually got to the point where they were only making a new game every few years or so where 2K was making one every year and getting all the sales.

Sabonis might be the closest, but we will never know because he didn't play against NBA players until he was over the hill.

Dirk lol.

Wilt was an amazing athlete but he couldn't fucking shoot.

Shaq was big and strong but couldn't dribble or shoot.

The closest thing to Victor is probably David, who was a guard who grew to 7'1". David had a great shooting touch, elite quickness, and was the best face-up center ever. Victor is a better ball handler and shooter, and he's not old enough to drink.

Another near miss is Kevin Durant who was a guard who grew to be 6'11" and in his prime especially before he left OKC, was a nightmare to defend and he's still good but his injuries have made him a "B" list star these days.

Obstructed_View
07-11-2023, 11:47 AM
Another near miss is Kevin Durant who was a guard who grew to be 6'11" and in his prime especially before he left OKC, was a nightmare to defend and he's still good but his injuries have made him a "B" list star these days.

Was a really underrated defender early on. Feel like at some point he knew he could rest in defense, but when he was young and hungry he could use his quickness and his length to be a menace.

DAF86
07-11-2023, 11:54 AM
Add Jokic to the "most skilled 7 footer ever" debate, tbh.

Tyronn Lue
07-11-2023, 12:02 PM
Thought Joker was just shy of 7'. If we're going to round up we have more to choose from.

Adam Lambert
07-11-2023, 12:10 PM
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuIiL9PAAEA/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2023, 12:40 PM

Jokic is slow and plodding, though. Very good at everything he does, but let's not act like he's some athletic freak like Wemby or Giannis or KD, tbh.

Obstructed_View
07-11-2023, 01:57 PM
Jokic put up ten and seven as a rookie.

CorrectCrusader
07-11-2023, 02:19 PM
Durant's perimeter offense, Kareem's paint offense, Bill Russell's defense, Tim Duncan's loyalty and ego, and Kobe Bryant's basketball work ethic all in one package. :toast

Yeah I'm thinking we drafted the GOAT of basketball

DAF86
07-11-2023, 02:22 PM
Jokic is slow and plodding, though. Very good at everything he does, but let's not act like he's some athletic freak like Wemby or Giannis or KD, tbh.

Skilled isn't the same as athletic, tbh. In fact, Jokic being the best player in the World with as unathletic as he is speaks volumes of his skill level, imho.

DAF86
07-11-2023, 02:23 PM

How does that change the fact that he's one of the most skilled 7 footers ever?

Obstructed_View
07-11-2023, 02:27 PM
How does that change the fact that he's one of the most skilled 7 footers ever?
Because he wasn't as a rookie?

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2023, 03:01 PM

How many MPG though?

27 points and 12 boards, 3 arguably 4 blocks (that's prime Duncan numbers) in 27 minutes with shitty teammates is pretty otherworldly, imo. Also, only 3 turnovers, and more makes than misses.

If he made more of his free throws (which is odd because he consistently shot over 80% in Europe) we would have beat the Blazers.

DAF86
07-11-2023, 03:11 PM
Because he wasn't as a rookie?

And? I thought we were arguing "most skilled 7 footer ever", not more "skilled rookie 7 footer ever".

TD 21
07-11-2023, 03:23 PM
Thought Joker was just shy of 7'. If we're going to round up we have more to choose from.

Exactly. You wouldn't call a 5'11'' person a 6-footer, but somehow in basketball with people a foot taller that doesn't apply.

Embiid took the belt from P. Gasol, with Wembanyama poised to do the same to the former.

lefty
07-11-2023, 03:26 PM
As long as it's not this guy tbh

http://nesn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/6a0115709f071f970b0133f4b382b0970b.jpe

Obstructed_View
07-11-2023, 03:47 PM
And? I thought we were arguing "most skilled 7 footer ever", not more "skilled rookie 7 footer ever".
You thought wrong.

DAF86
07-11-2023, 04:04 PM
You thought wrong.

Well, you should have specified, tbh. :lol

DAF86
07-11-2023, 04:11 PM
Exactly. You wouldn't call a 5'11'' person a 6-footer, but somehow in basketball with people a foot taller that doesn't apply.

Embiid took the belt from P. Gasol, with Wembanyama poised to do the same to the former.

First, I'm not sure Jokic isn't 7 foot but, regardless of that, why should 7 feet be the mark and not 6'11"? I think of it this way: historically, and as a generalisation, 7'/6'11" is usually center's height, while 6'10/6'9 is usually PF height. So, in basketball terms, it makes more sense to group 6'11" with 7' than 6'11 with 6'10".

Obstructed_View
07-11-2023, 04:16 PM
Well, you should have specified, tbh. :lol
Lol yes, I guess I should have. Sorry about that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-11-2023, 04:48 PM
How many MPG though?

27 points and 12 boards, 3 arguably 4 blocks (that's prime Duncan numbers) in 27 minutes with shitty teammates is pretty otherworldly, imo. Also, only 3 turnovers, and more makes than misses.

If he made more of his free throws (which is odd because he consistently shot over 80% in Europe) we would have beat the Blazers.

Good free throw shooters start missing when they're tired. My guess is that the kid, in spite of the lofty stats, is exhausted.

Let him rest, eat right, sleep right, and workout for a couple of months without all the distractions, and I think the product we see on the floor in November will be a thing of nightmares for opposing teams.

playblair
07-11-2023, 04:54 PM
op u didnt play nba live 03........op only started playing basketball games in 2020 during covid.......

TD 21
07-11-2023, 05:16 PM
First, I'm not sure Jokic isn't 7 foot but, regardless of that, why should 7 feet be the mark and not 6'11"? I think of it this way: historically, and as a generalisation, 7'/6'11" is usually center's height, while 6'10/6'9 is usually PF height. So, in basketball terms, it makes more sense to group 6'11" with 7' than 6'11 with 6'10".

In Europe, they've always listed height barefoot and he was at 6'10'' when he came over at nearly 21.

That doesn't make sense since, within' reason, positions aren't based on height. Olajuwon, Mourning, Howard, B. Wallace, etc. were all obviously C's despite being sub 6'11''.