View Full Version : Helotes One, Wal-Mart Zero

MannyIsGod
12-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Bitches.

:)

Wal-Mart reportedly shelves Helotes plan

Web Posted: 12/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

Lety Laurel
Express-News Staff Writer The world's largest retailer reportedly is scrapping its plans to build a supercenter at Texas 16 and Scenic Loop Road, just outside Helotes.

If the report is true, it will bring a sudden end to more than a year of squabbling between residents and city officials and could provide one model for small cities battling big-box stores.

Wal-Mart officials won't confirm they're tossing their plans to build a store on the site, but the owner of the property, Balous Miller, said Friday the project is a no-go.

"Wal-Mart is going away," he said, adding that, although he hasn't received any written notice, he was told by his real estate agent that Wal-Mart is pulling out.

Helotes City Councilman Jim Caruso said Wal-Mart real estate manager Matt Smith notified him of the plans Thursday.

"Matt felt he wanted to at least contact me because I was a pro-Wal-Mart advocate and wanted to see the store come into the city," Caruso said. "He felt he ought to give us a call and tell us that Wal-Mart for the time being opted not to develop on that particular site at Bandera and Scenic Loop Road.

"He didn't get into a whole lot of details or specifics there, but just basically told me that they had a change of plans, and he said he hoped to do something in the future."

Smith wouldn't confirm those plans but said the retailer "still has hopes to do a project in Helotes."

Miller and Wal-Mart officials entered into a written contract for the 32-acre site in September 2004. Most of the property lies in Helotes' extraterritorial jurisdiction.

What followed the written contract was a year of volatile exchanges between City Council members, residents, environmentalists and pro-development forces.

In May, Helotes voters narrowly elected a new mayor, Jon Allan, who said he ran to stop Wal-Mart and other large-scale commercial developments from coming into the city.

They also elected two council members who ran on a "stop Wal-Mart" platform.

Even though he's pleased about the latest reports, Allan said he's not celebrating yet.

"We've had rumors in the past that Wal-Mart was pulling out and going somewhere else and it turned out not to be true, so I'd hesitate to pop the champagne cork until we hear something final," he said.

Allan said he called Smith early Friday to ask about the scrapped plans, but Smith denied there were any new developments.

"But when I talk to Jim Caruso, I get a whole different story, so it sounds like Matt Smith didn't want to share the information with me," the mayor said.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Kim Randle wouldn't comment further on the issue.

Helotes isn't the only city trying to stop the discount giant. Communities in Nebraska, Oregon, California and New York are also fighting the store. Most recently, San Luis, Ariz.; Rotterdam, N.Y.; East Manatee, Fla.; and Bakersfield and Turlock, Calif., have succeeded in keeping the stores out of their cities.

Wal-Mart plans to open or expand 484 stores across the nation next year.

Caruso said he's disappointed the retailer has pulled out of the plan.

"I think it's sad that a small group of people with disposable incomes were able to dissuade them from coming here," he said.

"I'm just guessing that's their reason. I think if they build this thing further down the road outside the city of Helotes, we're going to be the big losers here.

"I'm holding a ticket and popcorn and sitting down to a matinee to see how this thing unfolds."

RashoFan
12-03-2005, 05:02 AM
Maybe we can get this group to shut down the Toll Project for 281N outside 1604....I hate those fuckers.............

ZStomp
12-03-2005, 05:04 AM
More like Walmart: Hundreds of stores in US...Helotes: 0 :lol

Vashner
12-03-2005, 06:06 AM
Helotes = speed trap..

Solid D
12-03-2005, 07:48 AM
It's going to be difficult for Helotes to remain Helotes as we know it.

CharlieMac
12-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Walmart is filing paperwork as we sleep to purchase Helotes and solve this problem.

Jekka
12-03-2005, 11:08 AM
"I think it's sad that a small group of people with disposable incomes were able to dissuade them from coming here," he said.

What a fucking asshole.

ChumpDumper
12-03-2005, 11:26 AM
What's really sad is Helotans are condemned to drive 5 miles to get to a Wal-Mart.

The horror.

Samr
12-03-2005, 12:55 PM
What would you NOT want a WalMart?

I don't care what they say about product quality etc., that shit's convenient!

Jekka
12-03-2005, 12:58 PM
What would you NOT want a WalMart?

I don't care what they say about product quality etc., that shit's convenient!

It's already convenient to Helotes people - there's three within a few miles' radius as it is.

Shelly
12-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Eff Wal-Mart!

Target rules!

Prefontaine
12-03-2005, 04:45 PM
walmart sucks! burn them ALL down.

timvp
12-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Damn, this sucks. I wanted a fourth within a five mile radius.

One day we (Wal-Mart) will win and I'll be there to celebrate.

:smokin

Notorious H.O.P.
12-03-2005, 07:19 PM
I live near Guilbeau and Tezel Rd, plenty of Wal-Marts in my area. I'm just waiting for them to bulldoze the old Albertsons at this intersection so I can have one within walking distance.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.