PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game Review

Rummpd
12-03-2005, 09:49 AM
www.hoopsworld.com

Last Updated: Dec 3rd, 2005 - 10:02:37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PreGame Special - Surging Spurs vs. Struggling Sixers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Dec 3, 2005, 09:55

First a disclaimer: the Spurs will always be my favorite team since I saw their players frequently coming through the pediatric service of Brooke Army Medical Center where I was a resident in the mid 1980s. Since then, I have followed them with ardor from all over, even catching games at odd hours on international trips to Russia or Lithuania on occasion. I have lived through the highs of three championships but also the lows such as Hakeem Olajuwon and the Rockets coming back from 0-2 in the 95 finals, or Derek Fisher’s cruel and controversial 0.4 dagger in the 03-04 semifinals. Yet, living in Philadelphia the last two years, I have developed some passion for the Sixers, who are a gritty team led by superstar Allen Iverson. That being said I will be rooting for the Spurs tonight (but would not mind if the Sixers made it competitive).

The Sixers and the Spurs are two teams going in different directions right now, as the Sixers after coming back from an 0-3 start with 6 wins to start the season are now sitting in the middle of the NBA pack with a 8-9 record after last night’s two point loss to the surprising Hornets (now 9 and 8 and thriving with their remarkable rookie point guard, Chris Paul).

The Spurs are sitting with a strong 12-3 record, after winning a clutch early season road game versus the Mavericks, 92-90 Thursday night. Recall that the Spurs are tradionally a slow starting team, so watch out NBA!

Highlighting the Sixers first, a very strong case can be made that Allen Iverson, rather than emerging superstar LeBron James should have been the Eastern Conference Player of the Month!

Iverson has been simply wondrous this season. He has contributed a league leading 34.0 PPG average, and just as impressively, 8.0 APG. He has raised his shooting percentage to 0.450 from last years 0.424 and has played through the flu and other ailments.

Just as importantly for the long-term hopes of the Sixers, Chris Webber and “AI” seem to be meshing under new Head Coach, Maurice Cheeks. Webber is back playing at his nearly former superstar level (of his best times with the Kings) producing 20.2 PPG and 10.3 RBG and seems to be playing with better jumping ability and quickness than last season.

However, as a team the Sixers are struggling due to mainly two related problems, defense and rebounding. The team gives up 103.0 PPG and is only staying competitive as it is one of the league leaders offensively with 102.9 PPG.

Hurting the Sixers with consistency is the fact that they are usually out rebounded by their opponent by about 5 per game (44.2 to 39.7).

Samuel Dalembert returned at center this week from a strained quadriceps injury that caused him to miss the first few weeks.

Dalembert has shown promise of becoming the stabilizing force in the middle the Sixers need, and is averaging 10.5 RBG and an impressive 3.5 blocks per game in his four outings, but is struggling offensively.

Sophomore Andre Iguodala has been at times very impressive, especially on defense or with a new found capability to make threes (he had seven in one game recently). He frequently covers the other teams best exterior player and did this admirably against in holding Kobe Bryant to 17 points on 7-27 shooting, but without help in the middle, could not by himself fully contain emerging superstars Dwyane Wade (32 points) or LeBron James (36 points) in two recent games that the Sixers lost.

One positive surprise for the Sixers this year has been the emergence of a strong 6th man in 6’6 G John Salmons. Salmons is averaging 9.8 points per game and about 3 rebounds and assists in 25 minutes per game.

That being said the Sixers are struggling, and are barely holding on to the lead in the Atlantic Division with their under 0.500 record.

They have given the Spurs some trouble in recent years but seemingly cannot be given much of a chance to go into upset the Spurs on the road on a back to back can they?

Helping their cause somewhat will be that the Spurs will be without all-star Manu Ginobili, but the Champion Spurs depth is such that they are starting instead, former all star Michael Finley who was very solid in his first start the other night versus the Mavericks with 15 points and some crucial late free throws.

The real story of the Spurs this year has been the consistent emergence of point guard Tony Parker into stronger consideration for all star status in the West. Parker coming off a 30 point performance against Dallas is averaging 20.4 PPG and 5.6 APG.

Parker is shooting an amazing 55.3% from the field, with an improved jumper (he has been working with a shooting coach who had formerly worked with Steve Kerr and others) but also is driving the lane at will against many teams.

Tim Duncan has been relatively quiet the last few games offensively but has been a real force on the boards and defensively and is averaging 11.7 RBG and 2.5 BPG.

One should not also forget the contribution of Bruce Bowen, who I feel is the best defender in the league on the perimeter or at SF (with apologies to Ron Artest, who is also very good). Bowen also ranks #1 in the NBA in field goal percentage at 0.575 but more importantly, he has been effectively shutting down or limiting superstar caliber players in recent games like Dirk Nowitzki (14 points, 3-13); LeBron James (20 points, 7-16) or Kobe Bryant (25 points but on 9-33 shooting).

The Spurs while it might not look at from their individual statistics, are also getting fairly solid combined production out of centers Rasho Nesterovic (5.6 PPG, 4.5 RBG) and Nazr Mohammed (4.5 PPG and 3.7 RBG). Their season numbers are not simply reflective of the fact that in a number of recent games the Spurs have gotten 15-25 PPG and 8-12 RBG out of the two centers, as Coach Popovich has played both more in favor of Robert Horry or rookie Fabricio Oberto as the Spurs surged to the top of the Southwest Division.

The Spurs, even with Ginobili out, still have some solid depth at the guard positions, as they can bring off the bench the trio of Brent Barry, Nick Van Exel, or Beno Udrich.

The main stabilizer off the bench though, is usually clutch veteran three point shooter Robert Horry, who can spell any of the centers or Duncan and is still an excellent defender as well.

The Spurs have not been as dominant as they were at times last year, where their point differential was shaping up to be among the all time best before Duncan’s injury, but is still a heady 7.0 per game and the Spurs have had several road trips already. At home, they have had only one loss (to the Bulls).

I expect the Sixers to come out and give the Spurs a game tonight but in the end, the champions will prevail as I expect Duncan to have a “bounce back” offensive game after several games of fewer than 20 points.

It will be a special thrill to watch two of the NBA’s best guards right now; Iverson and Parker go at it. Parker (along with Chris Ford of the Bucks) is one of the few players who arguably are faster than Iverson and it should be a good match up.

Dr. Rumm is the "SportsDoc to the Fans" and as a former editor contributes occassional team reviews, player discussions and debates on the game, along with articles related to injuries or medical issues.
Gotta Response? E-mail It Here ([email protected])

TDMVPDPOY
12-03-2005, 09:55 AM
duncan better explode in this game, dude has been out of rythm for the last couple of games

Rummpd
12-03-2005, 09:56 AM
That is what I predicted, except for Dalembert, inside the Sixers stink defensively.

whottt
12-03-2005, 10:00 AM
I have lived through the highs of three championships but also the lows such as Hakeem Olajuwon and the Rockets coming back from 0-2 in the 95 finals,

I think you made a typo there...the Rockets started out 2-0 VS the Spurs in the 95 WCF. Just letting you know for edit purposes.

Rummpd
12-03-2005, 10:06 AM
i am going to check that as I recall it differently but could be wrong.

Rummpd
12-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Whott Thanks = you are right, it was a strange series where the home team lost first 4, Houston won last 2 in SA. I will fix article on site.

whottt
12-03-2005, 10:19 AM
De nada...figured it was something you would want to fix. And it was a weird series...

boutons
12-03-2005, 12:12 PM
"with apologies to Ron Artest"

I know it's just hackneyed junk expression (is there any obligation to mention RA at all, doc?), but no one owes RA any apologies for anything.
Rather, RA owes the NBA/fans apologies for his on-court/in-stands insanities, eternally.

(btw, another nut case, Danny Fortson got ejected last night. 6 rebounds in just 13 minuties, wonderful, then blatantly pushes Z into the stands, DF's gone)

FromWayDowntown
12-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Whott Thanks = you are right, it was a strange series where the home team lost first 4, Houston won last 2 in SA. I will fix article on site.

That's still not right. If Houston won the last 2 in SA, the series would have been, what? 2-2-2-1? 2-2-3? No NBA series is structured that way

The road team won each of the first 5 games in the series:

HOU 94 @ SA 93
HOU 106 @ SA 96
SA 107 @ HOU 102
SA 103 @ HOU 81
HOU 111 @ SA 90

The only game won by a home team in the 1995 West Finals was Game 6, which the Rockets won 100-95 in Houston to close out the Spurs.

T Park
12-03-2005, 12:24 PM
damn, I forgot the Spurs blew em out in game 4.

How can you blow someone out in game 4, then get blown out yourself in game 5.

Guess I should ask the Spurs of last year, blowing out Detroit in game 2, then losing bad in game 3.

Rummpd
12-03-2005, 12:44 PM
You are right, it was a 2,2,1,1, 1 I believe - it was a long time ago and a series I would just like to forget!

howard2
12-03-2005, 04:40 PM
ESPN.com
Dec 3, 2005
Link: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=251203024)

Philadelphia (8-9) at San Antonio (12-3) 8:30 pm EST

SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) -- Tony Parker is proving to be more than just a sidekick to former NBA Most Valuable Player Tim Duncan.

Parker and Duncan try to lead the defending-champion Spurs to their 13th win in 16 outings and fourth straight road victory over the Philadelphia 76ers.

In his fifth season in San Antonio, the 23-year-old Parker has improved his scoring from 16.6 points last season to 21.0 this season. He and Minnesota's Kevin Garnett are the only players to rank in the top 25 in scoring, assists and field-goal percentage.

Parker scored a season-high 30 points and Duncan had 13 with 14 rebounds to lead the Spurs to Thursday's 92-90 victory over the Dallas Mavericks.

While the Spurs have the best record in the Western Conference, the 76ers have dropped six of eight and are the only first-place team with a record below .500.

League-leading scorer Allen Iverson scored 34 points and Chris Webber added 24 with 12 rebounds for Philadelphia in Friday's 88-86 loss to the New Orleans Hornets.

Despite topping the league in points (102.9), the 76ers are struggling on the defensive end and are 28th in points allowed (103.0). Only Seattle and Toronto yield more per game.

San Antonio won both encounters against Philadelphia last season and are 22-11 at home against the 76ers.
========================================
Today's Line
FAVORITE OPEN CUR UNDERDOG O/U
SAN ANTONIO -10 10 PHILADELPHIA 192
San Antonio is the favoritie.

boutons
12-03-2005, 05:07 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30103

whottt
12-03-2005, 05:32 PM
damn, I forgot the Spurs blew em out in game 4.

How can you blow someone out in game 4, then get blown out yourself in game 5.

Guess I should ask the Spurs of last year, blowing out Detroit in game 2, then losing bad in game 3.

Rudy T didn't double Drob as much for the two games in Houston and it was more of a Hakeem Drob matchup 1 on 1...

Why did that make such a difference?

Vinny Del Negro and Chuck Person played awesome in the first 2 games in Houston...when they ware being defended and on the road. It was when they were wide open that they couldn't buy a shot.

It's kinda like what happened with Barry, Hedo, Smitty and Ferry...some guys just can't hit shots when they are open. This is why Steve Kerr and Stephen Jackson ruled...they could hit open shots.

Brutalis
12-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Timmy called me tonight. Said tonight he gunna get 71 points. So we'll see.

=)