PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Looking To Build New Stadium Downtown

TekXX
07-14-2023, 05:37 PM
Looks like they want to build it downtown next to a new Missions Stadium

https://www.expressnews.com/business/article/spurs-new-downtown-arena-wemby-18177478.php (https://www.expressnews.com/business/article/spurs-new-downtown-arena-wemby-18177478.php)

Biggems
07-14-2023, 05:42 PM
If they do.....they should try to make the Max Attendance 21050 in honor of Timmy and David. If possible, have 44 suites (2 levels of 22) in honor of Ice.

onechance87
07-14-2023, 05:47 PM
Looks like they want to build it downtown next to a new Missions Stadium

https://www.expressnews.com/business/article/spurs-new-downtown-arena-wemby-18177478.php (https://www.expressnews.com/business/article/spurs-new-downtown-arena-wemby-18177478.php)

Have to subscribe to read it:ihit

Millennial_Messiah
07-14-2023, 05:48 PM
If they do.....they should try to make the Max Attendance 21050 in honor of Timmy and David. If possible, have 44 suites (2 levels of 22) in honor of Ice.

No... Max attendance should be like 60-80K. People from around the world will want to come see Wemby. The seats will sell out and even nosebleeds will be backlogged just to get in. Sort of like Lambeau Field with the Packers.

TekXX
07-14-2023, 05:53 PM

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10082782-nba-rumors-spurs-exploring-new-downtown-arena-after-drafting-victor-wembanyama

onechance87
07-14-2023, 06:01 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10082782-nba-rumors-spurs-exploring-new-downtown-arena-after-drafting-victor-wembanyama

thank you....wonder where they can build a staduim dt

MarCowMar
07-14-2023, 06:40 PM
Love that phrasing. Should probably read: Spurs looking for handout from SA taxpayers knowing they have Wemby leverage.

As much as I detest Seattle I'll always give them credit for doing the right thing and saying no. A time when liberals had backbone.

BatManu20
07-14-2023, 06:41 PM
I mean building a new arena downtown is a no-brainer obv, but if we have to wait til 2032-33 to get it, it’ll be a lot less exciting. Wemby will be 30 by then and who knows what the NBA landscape will look like by then or if Wemby’s even still playing or playing here tbh. Should try to break the lease and get this thing going by 2027 tbh. Extremely doubtful, but that’s what they should be trying to do. Either way, the tax-payers are going to be the one footing the bill for this thing.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2023, 07:05 PM
Love that phrasing. Should probably read: Spurs looking for handout from SA taxpayers knowing they have Wemby leverage.

As much as I detest Seattle I'll always give them credit for doing the right thing and saying no. A time when liberals had backbone.

Clay Bennett didn't buy the team to keep them in Washington. He offered them a shit sandwich knowing they would say no.

RC_Drunkford
07-14-2023, 07:10 PM
how many arenas does the city of San Antonio have?

dbestpro
07-14-2023, 07:12 PM
To make the ATT center palatable, they need to invest in developing restaurants, clubs, and attractions around the area with supporting street traffic development for people to get in and out without waiting hours. The area should be hopping all the time not just game time.

spurraider21
07-14-2023, 07:13 PM
Clay Bennett didn't buy the team to keep them in Washington. He offered them a shit sandwich knowing they would say no.
:cry save our sonics :cry

TDMVPDPOY
07-14-2023, 07:25 PM
whats wrong with demo any previous stadium to build a new one??? if its located in area that will fill seats

paperboy77
07-14-2023, 07:30 PM

Pay the tax! They tax for all kinds of crap that we can do with out.

CGD
07-14-2023, 07:35 PM
Please let this happen! They absolutely screwed up with the last one

slick'81
07-14-2023, 07:39 PM
No more barn on the eastside:(

EricB
07-14-2023, 07:50 PM
how many arenas does the city of San Antonio have?

alamodome ATT center is about it

timvp
07-14-2023, 07:56 PM
Good idea. Strike while the iron is hot.

onechance87
07-14-2023, 08:02 PM
Yea...Might as well get it over with and get a plan to bring the spurs downtown....in the end the spurs will end up dt....Or risk losing them

spurraider21
07-14-2023, 08:09 PM
if downtown doesnt work they should look to vegas imo

Obstructed_View
07-14-2023, 08:11 PM
:cry save our sonics :cry
Yeah fuck them for cheering Timmy turning his ankle. But as a Spurs fan, I don't give a fuck what it costs the city as long as my team doesn't leave.

NASpurs
07-14-2023, 08:20 PM
Where in downtown is there space for an arena and a baseball field?

Ariel
07-14-2023, 08:23 PM
Right click -> View source code
The whole text is there. I'd post it here, but I suppose this site wouldn't appreciate it.

Extra Stout
07-14-2023, 08:30 PM
Where in downtown is there space for an arena and a baseball field?
Google Maps shows several spots

RC_Drunkford
07-14-2023, 08:37 PM
alamodome ATT center is about it

hemisfair arena? I mean 3 Arenas for one city should be more than enough. Is there so much going on in San Antonio? :lol

NASpurs
07-14-2023, 08:41 PM
Google Maps shows several spots

So to hit the touristy downtown spots, this place would have to be north or around the King Williams District, west of the Alamodome, east of the UTSA downtown campus, and south of the Pearl. Also need enough space for an arena, baseball stadium and ample parking space.

NASpurs
07-14-2023, 08:42 PM
hemisfair arena? I mean 3 Arenas for one city should be more than enough. Is there so much going on in San Antonio? :lol

Need them spots for the rodeo and high school graduations.

Ocotillo
07-14-2023, 08:47 PM
Old Lone Star brewery property could work for both and is close to Southtown.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2023, 08:52 PM
Hemisfair has been gone for almost 30 years, hasn't it?

Twisted_Dawg
07-14-2023, 09:10 PM
Tear down the Institute of Texan Cultures and build it in that corner bordered by Cesar Chavez and I37. Close to hotels. That building was built for Hemisfair in 1968. The instute can be relocated on Broadway somewhere near the Witte Museum and DoSeum.

exstatic
07-14-2023, 09:54 PM

Hemisfair was torn down in the late 90s.

scott
07-14-2023, 10:03 PM
Tear down the Institute of Texan Cultures and build it in that corner bordered by Cesar Chavez and I37. Close to hotels. That building was built for Hemisfair in 1968. The instute can be relocated on Broadway somewhere near the Witte Museum and DoSeum.

I left San Antonio about 5 years ago, but this is the perfect spot to me.

Not building the ATT Center downtown in the first place was a colossal mistake. The County Commissioners in the article stating they want to develop a plan to keep the Spurs there is a doubling down on stupid.

playblair
07-15-2023, 12:21 AM
milwaukee deer district is the route to follow for this project........
https://cdn.nba.com/teams/legacy/www.nba.com/bucks/sites/bucks/files/welcome-to-deer-district.png

playblair
07-15-2023, 12:38 AM
posters from san antonio how far would the new practice facility be from a downtown spurs arena........

illusioNtEk
07-15-2023, 01:18 AM
From ChatGPT:

San Antonio Spurs Set Sights on New Downtown Arena

The San Antonio Spurs, a name synonymous with basketball excellence, are reportedly exploring the possibility of constructing a new downtown arena, according to recent reports. This move comes as the team seeks to provide a more vibrant and accessible venue for their growing fan base.

The Spurs, who recently drafted Victor Wembanyama, the No. 1 pick in the 2023 NBA draft, are keen to provide a platform that matches the rising star's talent. Known affectionately as 'Wemby' among fans, the young player has already shown immense potential, and the proposed new arena could serve as the perfect stage for his burgeoning career.

The new arena is not just about showcasing Wemby's talents, though. It's about creating a comprehensive sports district in downtown San Antonio. The Spurs' plan reportedly includes a proposal for a new stadium for the Missions, San Antonio's minor league baseball team. This move could transform the city's downtown area into a bustling sports district, attracting fans from all over the region and beyond.

However, the Spurs' ambitious plans are not without challenges. Constructing a new arena will require significant investment and the approval of city officials. Moreover, the team will need to ensure that the new venue can accommodate the Spurs' growing fan base while also providing a top-notch experience for spectators.

Despite these challenges, the potential benefits of a new downtown arena are clear. It could boost the local economy, create jobs, and solidify San Antonio's reputation as a city that embraces and celebrates sports. Most importantly, it could provide a new home for the Spurs, a place where they can continue to write their storied history in the NBA.

As the Spurs explore this exciting possibility, fans and city residents alike will be watching closely. The prospect of a new downtown arena is more than just a potential new venue for basketball games - it's a symbol of the city's commitment to its sports teams and a testament to the enduring appeal of the San Antonio Spurs.

Stay tuned for more updates on this developing story.

heyheymymy
07-15-2023, 01:44 AM
What about freeman coliseum, that still standing?

Phenomanul
07-15-2023, 01:47 AM
If they do this they should build a tram system that transports people from the parking lots (scattered at the 4 quadrants of the innermost loop) to the new stadium. This infrastructure would minimize traffic issues associated with stadium events - cause instead of cramming all vehicular traffic towards a central location downtown people could just park at which ever lot was closest to their home and then ride the tram to the stadium.

heyheymymy
07-15-2023, 01:49 AM
Should've ran a tram down 281 from 1604 to downtown.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 01:50 AM
What about freeman coliseum, that still standing?

Yep. AT&T was built to replace it for the rodeo.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2023, 02:41 AM
Having both venues next to each other seems like pie in the sky unless they're built on the Lone Star land which doesn't seem like a great fit unless they develop a lot more around it at the same time-- it's a bit far from the traditional downtown attractions. I've always been partial to Alamodome Lot A since it would be close recreating the location of Hemisfair and the Alamodome itself. All the infrastructure is already there. The Missions could build their stadium on Fox Tech land and hope the dining and entertainment stretch out to there. Seems to be enough parking for a 10,000 seat stadium around that site.

RC_Drunkford
07-15-2023, 03:33 AM
Hemisfair was torn down in the late 90s.

oh ok. 2 arenas make sense. A 3rd one wouldn't be that bad either then

exstatic
07-15-2023, 05:04 AM
oh ok. 2 arenas make sense. A 3rd one wouldn't be that bad either then

The AlamoDome has become the de facto UTSA football stadium. Perhaps the ATT Center could become the UTSA basketball facility.

Twisted_Dawg
07-15-2023, 06:40 AM
posters from san antonio how far would the new practice facility be from a downtown spurs arena........

10-12 miles

Twisted_Dawg
07-15-2023, 06:47 AM
Having both venues next to each other seems like pie in the sky unless they're built on the Lone Star land which doesn't seem like a great fit unless they develop a lot more around it at the same time-- it's a bit far from the traditional downtown attractions. I've always been partial to Alamodome Lot A since it would be close recreating the location of Hemisfair and the Alamodome itself. All the infrastructure is already there. The Missions could build their stadium on Fox Tech land and hope the dining and entertainment stretch out to there. Seems to be enough parking for a 10,000 seat stadium around that site.

You're exactly right. Finding a downtown spot for just the arena is going to be a difficult task. But finding a site for an arena and a ball park will be a miracle. The Lone Star Brewery site has the space but is a bit too south of downtown and the road structre to get there would not be good.

Mark in Austin
07-15-2023, 06:54 AM
The perfect site is the park right next to the convention center at Market and Alamo. You can drop an arena in there plus a public plaza facing Market Street. Access to convention center facilities, and the Riverwalk surrounds you.

talkspurs
07-15-2023, 06:59 AM

18.1 miles from UTSA to the alamodome.

talkspurs
07-15-2023, 07:02 AM
If they do this they should build a tram system that transports people from the parking lots (scattered at the 4 quadrants of the innermost loop) to the new stadium. This infrastructure would minimize traffic issues associated with stadium events - cause instead of cramming all vehicular traffic towards a central location downtown people could just park at which ever lot was closest to their home and then ride the tram to the stadium.

Yes or atleast bring back the Buses from multiple locations. The alamodome is actually set up well for this. They already have a lot of the parking set up from the park and rides but only want to use the one at crossroads and dont even use it for spurs games. When you go there for UTSA games it is packed and overflowing. Unfortunately laws require so many parking spaces but I would hope they could get a waiver for it.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2023, 09:17 AM
The perfect site is the park right next to the convention center at Market and Alamo. You can drop an arena in there plus a public plaza facing Market Street. Access to convention center facilities, and the Riverwalk surrounds you.I think that is or will be more exhibit hall space.

Mugen
07-15-2023, 09:27 AM
Perfect site is in Vegas tbh :lol

gameFACE
07-15-2023, 10:46 AM
The question of it being downtown is a no brainer if you build new. A huge question is what happens with the AT&T Center. The rodeo isn't a big enough tenant and it would compete with the new stadium for live shows. An unused AT&T Center would be a political and sustainable disaster. The Lone Star, Texas Culture and Alamodome sites all have pluses/minuses. Austin isn't out of the picture because of the Moody Center. That was built for college basketball and so much is being built there they could easily vote to build a state of the art NBA arena. Live music is so strong there they could have the Moody and a new arena and bring in even more live music acts.

San Antonio wants to be a big boy with a small town attitude. It's probably going to have to pony up.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2023, 10:59 AM
San Antonio has a couple advantages over Austin -- willingness to soak the tourists through taxes and several downtownish sites that could be developed without too many headaches. The city of Austin is more likely to tell a sports franchise to go pound sand than give them subsidies and all the halfway practical downtown Austin sites disappeared in the past decade. Other municipalities might be eager to pay for the Spurs, but the suburban sites might be less than ideal.

wildbill2u
07-15-2023, 12:32 PM
The Alamo Dome disaster was caused by several bad decisions, possibly (or probably) caused by city politics and the influence of the "old 400" families that still want to control things and get their cut of the pie from city ventures.
1. Henry Cisneros was either a megalomaniac or easily manipulated by the traditional power structure. His desire for a legacy was fed by the idea he could take two areas that were languishing and deteriorating and make them into showcases for the city and incidentally for Henry's legacy. Absolutely the worst idea was the development of the mall on the west side of the freeway from the old Farmer's Market/ Mi Tierra Restaurant. It had no tradition, no parking and little in the way of permanent activities or restaurants/shops to draw tourists. Certainly few San Antonians had it as a destination for shopping or entertainment. The rents were outsized for the demand and it became an albatross.

2. Who was behind the Alamo Dome decisions that led to so many problems. Well, I'd say the old San Antonio family that owned the land on which their steel company operated for so many years. It was a closed and delapidated building that should have been available cheaply, considering pluses and minuses such as lack of room for adequate parking for such a large facility. And apparently no one even considered an environmental impact investigation and report since it was discovered after the sale that the site was contaminated with toxic metals and chemicals. How stupid was that?

3. It was sold to the tax-paying public majority as a Necessary Large Stadium pre-requisite for an NFL team franchise, a brand new necessary home for the Spurs, a draw for our convention business, and a job creator. Whew, how could you vote against that package of benefits? Does that sound like the hard sell being put on the taxpayer with this new stadium being floated? Fool me once, my fault, fool me three times....?

Well, the outcome after the extra costs for the toxic waste removal was not quite what was envisioned. It isn't very useful for a town that wants to go to their sports events by personal cars, but nevertheless the stadium was built with very limited parking for the great unwashed part of the public that pays for the Dome out of bonds and taxes...but of course the wealthy elites can always afford the special parking areas that are available on a permanent parking pass basis. The Spurs soon came back with a demand for a new state of the art basketball stadium because the Dome was a joke venue for basketball on a regular basis although you could certainly put more fans in there on rare occasions. For the most part, the temporary stands with a draped backdrop were all that was necessary to put paying fans into the allocated seating. There are some limited uses during the year for football games and some conventions, but it is largely a bad deal, sitting isolated across the freeway from the Convention Center and any of the developed areas in or near the old Hemisfair '68 area.

So the Spurs came back with another demand for another state of the art building. What to do? Where to go? What is one of the last bastions of the social elite in San Antonio. The Rodeo. Wow, the rodeo coliseum was built many years ago and has all the faults of the architecture of that era. Lots of wealthy folks strut their stuff at the rodeo if they are part of the social butterfly set that uses it as a backdrop once a year. But who wanted to go to that old stadium anymore. A couple of wealthy families of the Rodeo Power Elite actually maintained 2nd homes on property adjacent to the Coliseum building and facilities and they might have had some input in leveraging their influence into the pick of the location. At any rate, IMO some of the power elites came forward with the idea to move the Spurs into a brand new arena on the old Coliseum grounds. Plenty of parking out there on a property that wasn't used but a few days a year. True, it was far from downtown and in a semi-industrial, low-rent residential area that wouldn't be developed for destination shopping or entertainment, but why not put the Spurs there? Why not, indeed?

Now we are a few years into the rebuild for the Rodeo (and the Spurs of course) and some interests are floating the idea that a new stadium is necessary. After all the bad decisions made in the past regarding publicly funded stadiums and buildings , the first question has to be: Qui bono? Who stands to gain from any new stadium outside of the city's legitimate interests. If there starts to be a clamor for certain land assets that are "just a little outside of downtown or any currently developed destination, let's see who gains from the purchase of land assets outside of the normal profitable interest of Spur owners?

This is getting long so I will desist for the present, but there are a lot of questions about the myths(?) of the need for a new Sports facility for San Antonio. "Fool me once..."

ChumpDumper
07-15-2023, 12:44 PM
"Power elites" living next to Freeman Colosseum?:lol

Twisted_Dawg
07-15-2023, 01:00 PM
@Wilbill2u, your treatise is interesting albeit long. So here are the Cliff notes:
1. Red McCombs pushed Cisneros to get a football stadium built as he was extremely confident he could get a NFL expansion team. This of course never happened and apparently Red misjudged the power of Jerry Jones.

2. The Spurs were pushing the city for a new arena and when an impasse occurred the Spurs threatened to leave town and were serious. At the 11th hour in rides Nelson Wolfe saying wait a minute boys, we got some land next to the Joe Freeman to build a new arena!

3. If the Spurs don't get a new arena, they are 100% GONE. That's a fact.

The Whopper
07-15-2023, 01:50 PM
The Alamo Dome disaster was caused by several bad decisions, possibly (or probably) caused by city politics and the influence of the "old 400" families that still want to control things and get their cut of the pie from city ventures.
1. Henry Cisneros was either a megalomaniac or easily manipulated by the traditional power structure. His desire for a legacy was fed by the idea he could take two areas that were languishing and deteriorating and make them into showcases for the city and incidentally for Henry's legacy. Absolutely the worst idea was the development of the mall on the west side of the freeway from the old Farmer's Market/ Mi Tierra Restaurant. It had no tradition, no parking and little in the way of permanent activities or restaurants/shops to draw tourists. Certainly few San Antonians had it as a destination for shopping or entertainment. The rents were outsized for the demand and it became an albatross.

2. Who was behind the Alamo Dome decisions that led to so many problems. Well, I'd say the old San Antonio family that owned the land on which their steel company operated for so many years. It was a closed and delapidated building that should have been available cheaply, considering pluses and minuses such as lack of room for adequate parking for such a large facility. And apparently no one even considered an environmental impact investigation and report since it was discovered after the sale that the site was contaminated with toxic metals and chemicals. How stupid was that?

3. It was sold to the tax-paying public majority as a Necessary Large Stadium pre-requisite for an NFL team franchise, a brand new necessary home for the Spurs, a draw for our convention business, and a job creator. Whew, how could you vote against that package of benefits? Does that sound like the hard sell being put on the taxpayer with this new stadium being floated? Fool me once, my fault, fool me three times....?

Well, the outcome after the extra costs for the toxic waste removal was not quite what was envisioned. It isn't very useful for a town that wants to go to their sports events by personal cars, but nevertheless the stadium was built with very limited parking for the great unwashed part of the public that pays for the Dome out of bonds and taxes...but of course the wealthy elites can always afford the special parking areas that are available on a permanent parking pass basis. The Spurs soon came back with a demand for a new state of the art basketball stadium because the Dome was a joke venue for basketball on a regular basis although you could certainly put more fans in there on rare occasions. For the most part, the temporary stands with a draped backdrop were all that was necessary to put paying fans into the allocated seating. There are some limited uses during the year for football games and some conventions, but it is largely a bad deal, sitting isolated across the freeway from the Convention Center and any of the developed areas in or near the old Hemisfair '68 area.

So the Spurs came back with another demand for another state of the art building. What to do? Where to go? What is one of the last bastions of the social elite in San Antonio. The Rodeo. Wow, the rodeo coliseum was built many years ago and has all the faults of the architecture of that era. Lots of wealthy folks strut their stuff at the rodeo if they are part of the social butterfly set that uses it as a backdrop once a year. But who wanted to go to that old stadium anymore. A couple of wealthy families of the Rodeo Power Elite actually maintained 2nd homes on property adjacent to the Coliseum building and facilities and they might have had some input in leveraging their influence into the pick of the location. At any rate, IMO some of the power elites came forward with the idea to move the Spurs into a brand new arena on the old Coliseum grounds. Plenty of parking out there on a property that wasn't used but a few days a year. True, it was far from downtown and in a semi-industrial, low-rent residential area that wouldn't be developed for destination shopping or entertainment, but why not put the Spurs there? Why not, indeed?

Now we are a few years into the rebuild for the Rodeo (and the Spurs of course) and some interests are floating the idea that a new stadium is necessary. After all the bad decisions made in the past regarding publicly funded stadiums and buildings , the first question has to be: Qui bono? Who stands to gain from any new stadium outside of the city's legitimate interests. If there starts to be a clamor for certain land assets that are "just a little outside of downtown or any currently developed destination, let's see who gains from the purchase of land assets outside of the normal profitable interest of Spur owners?

This is getting long so I will desist for the present, but there are a lot of questions about the myths(?) of the need for a new Sports facility for San Antonio. "Fool me once..."

The Whopper
07-15-2023, 01:56 PM
There is so much nonsense in this largely made-up history. The Alamodome “disaster”? After thirty years, it’s been a tremendous success and still counting. The Alamodome has events all the time.

Ridiculous conspiracy theory balderdash about the power players. The Alamodome and its pay-for was passed on a direct voter referendum. Pure democracy in action.

I don’t want to be too mean because I can see you put a lot of time and effort into your work of fiction.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 02:03 PM
Bottom line: if you want your team to stay, pony up. Sonics fans are likely super proud they stood strong.

wildbill2u
07-15-2023, 02:25 PM
"Power elites" living next to Freeman Colosseum?:lol

Sounds strange, but there were (are?) several homes built on Coliseum property on the West side by folks who are from out of town (south Texas ranch owners?). They use them whenever they are in San Antonio for the rodeo and probably on personal trips. I believe they are involved in some kind of Rodeo board positions that are an excuse for their livign quarters. I'm not saying they aren't working for the Rodeo over many years and perhaps they deserve some perks???

scott
07-15-2023, 02:31 PM
The Rodeo definitely has an old money, scam element to it.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2023, 02:48 PM
Sounds strange, but there were (are?) several homes built on Coliseum property on the West side by folks who are from out of town (south Texas ranch owners?). They use them whenever they are in San Antonio for the rodeo and probably on personal trips. I believe they are involved in some kind of Rodeo board positions that are an excuse for their livign quarters. I'm not saying they aren't working for the Rodeo over many years and perhaps they deserve some perks???If you're looking at who really benefitted from the AT&T Center, it was SS&E. I don't think any of the stakeholders live there.

baseline bum
07-15-2023, 02:53 PM

San Diego, Oakland, LA, and SF have all dome the same. It's why there was no LA NFL team for 20 years, why San Diego lost their NFL team, and why Oakland is almost certainly losing their MLB team.

offset formation
07-15-2023, 02:54 PM
Would be cool, and only fair for SA to get a pro baseball team. And football team for that matter, but Jerry Jobes has evidently had a lickdown on additional NFL teams coming to Texas for decades. Can't wait for that little demon to exit stage down

Extra Stout
07-15-2023, 03:01 PM
San Diego, Oakland, LA, and SF have all dome the same. It's why there was no LA NFL team for 20 years, why San Diego lost their NFL team, and why Oakland is almost certainly losing their MLB team.
How much public funding were the Athletics asking for? I didn’t pay close attention, but the impression I got is that the City of Oakland and local activist groups placed lots of demands on the A’s for the privilege to build themselves a stadium with their own money. Like, why is it a baseball team’s responsibility to construct affordable housing? So after years of trying to jump through new hoop after new hoop they eventually just said fuck it.

Extra Stout
07-15-2023, 03:05 PM
My understanding is that for all these “entertainment district” development plans anchored by the new stadium and/or arena, the public money is just to pay for infrastructure, which by no means is cheap. But the teams are building the venues with their own money. If SA is expected to put up public money for the venue itself, that’s out of the ordinary for recent projects.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 03:37 PM
There is so much nonsense in this largely made-up history. The Alamodome “disaster”? After thirty years, it’s been a tremendous success and still counting. The Alamodome has events all the time.

Ridiculous conspiracy theory balderdash about the power players. The Alamodome and its pay-for was passed on a direct voter referendum. Pure democracy in action.

I don’t want to be too mean because I can see you put a lot of time and effort into your work of fiction.

You're also wrong. I lived in SA at the time and the whole thing was very scammy. Red McCombs lied about the city's chances of getting a team, and he and Cisneros were both making a lot of personal money for the deal. The venue was not what we were told it was going to be and oh, by the way, McCombs has lifetime concession rights to every event there.

Spoiler: We didn't get an NFL team. In fact, we didn't get past the first elimination. We just got a terrible NBA arena with a big curtain and no parking, and had to pony up for a new arena out in the sticks a few years later. I was gone by then.

T Park
07-15-2023, 03:40 PM

hemisfair been gone a looooooong time

T Park
07-15-2023, 03:42 PM
Sounds strange, but there were (are?) several homes built on Coliseum property on the West side by folks who are from out of town (south Texas ranch owners?). They use them whenever they are in San Antonio for the rodeo and probably on personal trips. I believe they are involved in some kind of Rodeo board positions that are an excuse for their livign quarters. I'm not saying they aren't working for the Rodeo over many years and perhaps they deserve some perks???

there are?

lol all that's on the west side of that area is parking lot

The Whopper
07-15-2023, 04:14 PM
You're also wrong. I lived in SA at the time and the whole thing was very scammy. Red McCombs lied about the city's chances of getting a team, and he and Cisneros were both making a lot of personal money for the deal. The venue was not what we were told it was going to be and oh, by the way, McCombs has lifetime concession rights to every event there.

Spoiler: We didn't get an NFL team. In fact, we didn't get past the first elimination. We just got a terrible NBA arena with a big curtain and no parking, and had to pony up for a new arena out in the sticks a few years later. I was gone by then.

I lived here too and voted in the election. No shit we didn’t get the team but the sole measure of the Alamodome’s success was not that. Thirty years later it is an extremely viable and successful venue. You call it a “disaster”. So disastrous it continues to get multi-million dollar renovations and attracts acts, shows, and events that we would never get without it.

wildbill2u
07-15-2023, 04:39 PM

Yes, the taxpayers were sold on both constructions, the Dome and the ATT Center, and voted for them. That doesn't mean that powerful business interests weren't involved in selling the propositions to the public as in the public's best interests.

The Whopper
07-15-2023, 05:02 PM
Yes, the taxpayers were sold on both constructions, the Dome and the ATT Center, and voted for them. That doesn't mean that powerful business interests weren't involved in selling the propositions to the public as in the public's best interests.

You’re not wrong but isn’t that pretty much every big election? Kind of how politics work.

exstatic
07-15-2023, 05:24 PM
Would be cool, and only fair for SA to get a pro baseball team. And football team for that matter, but Jerry Jobes has evidently had a lickdown on additional NFL teams coming to Texas for decades. Can't wait for that little demon to exit stage down

The baseball field is for prospective AAA team. We ain’t seeing MLB any more than we’re seeing NFL.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 05:52 PM
I lived here too and voted in the election. No shit we didn’t get the team but the sole measure of the Alamodome’s success was not that. Thirty years later it is an extremely viable and successful venue. You call it a “disaster”. So disastrous it continues to get multi-million dollar renovations and attracts acts, shows, and events that we would never get without it.
I didn't call it a disaster. The city has done a great job of making lemonade with the venue, but it isn't a tremendous success, and it's not a conspiracy theory that it was a massive bait-and-switch for the taxpayers.

spurs10
07-15-2023, 06:13 PM
I don't know the infrastructure of San Antonio that well, but the idea sounds intriguing. I did live in SA during Hemisphere days and loved going downtown as a kid. My wife worked for the city for a long time and will have a better idea than me. I do like the feeling of optimism. It's almost like we won the lottery!

The Whopper
07-15-2023, 06:27 PM
I didn't call it a disaster. The city has done a great job of making lemonade with the venue, but it isn't a tremendous success, and it's not a conspiracy theory that it was a massive bait-and-switch for the taxpayers.

Well, technically, you did call it the “Alamodome disaster”. It’s clear to me now that you were speaking of the election itself rather than the dome’s life. So I call truce as I agree with you. Last I heard Cisneros was trying to sell us on the idea of a regional super duper International airport.

offset formation
07-15-2023, 06:31 PM
The baseball field is for prospective AAA team. We ain’t seeing MLB any more than we’re seeing NFL.

Aware but SA is by far the largest city without a professional baseball and football team. If they can demonstrate a pre-existing plan for an NFL or MLB ready stadium plan in a really cool downtown location, you'd almost think it would just be a matter of time before one was awarded.

TekXX
07-15-2023, 07:20 PM
I wasn't in SA at the time but did they really sell the Alamodome as a future NFL stadium? Did the Spurs decide to play there before it was built or after? I suppose the Spurs playing their for almost 10 years gave the impression that it wasn't a bust but that place looks like it was out of date when it opened, can't imagine the NFL agreeing to that stadium.

exstatic
07-15-2023, 07:45 PM
Aware but SA is by far the largest city without a professional baseball and football team. If they can demonstrate a pre-existing plan for an NFL or MLB ready stadium plan in a really cool downtown location, you'd almost think it would just be a matter of time before one was awarded.

Jerry Jones will never allow an NFL team here. We’re one of the best pure play secondary markets in the nation for his Cowboys. The Marlins tried to use us as leverage to get a new stadium, but when Wolfe realized that he had to put a deadline on the proposal, Miami vanished like a fart in the wind. We’re not getting either league’s franchise.

BatManu20
07-15-2023, 08:25 PM
Yea San Antonio will never have an NFL team. Jerry Jones (or his family after he croaks) would have to sign off on it, as would 2/3 of the other NFL owners. SA is way too financially valuable to Jerry and the Dallas Cowboys (97% of the city identifies as Cowboys fans). They’ll never allow it. Bad for business. And we’re definitely not getting a baseball team anytime soon. SA’s best bet was a professional soccer team, but Austin swooped in and stole that at the last minute.

Extra Stout
07-15-2023, 08:31 PM
That’s the San Antonio mindset. Franchises are just awarded by the authorities on high once you check the right boxes. LOL.

The reality is that San Antonio will have to get on its horse and hustle to keep the Spurs. No other pro sports franchise is coming before 2100 at the earliest. SA just does not have and never will have the base of major corporate activity to provide the foundation for supporting another team. The Spurs basically HAVE to be the best organization in pro sports to survive in San Antonio.

Take baseball. San Antonio can’t get its act together on AAA, much less MLB. Meanwhile, Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal, and Portland all have ownership groups and stadium plans ready and waiting to go once MLB decides to expand around 2030 or so once the Rays’ situation gets squared away.

And NFL? Please. They’re already at 32. They already have the SA market locked down with the Dallas Cowboys. Their mind is geared toward international expansion if they do anything at all.

It is far, FAR likelier that SA fucks itself and loses the Spurs to Austin in spite of the Wemby windfall than it is that SA ever gets a second pro team.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 08:43 PM
Well, technically, you did call it the “Alamodome disaster”.

Pretty sure that was someone else. But regardless, your point is well made that San Antonio made great use of the venue, as should be expected from a city that is so good with tourism and entertainment.

Das Texan
07-15-2023, 08:43 PM
I left San Antonio about 5 years ago, but this is the perfect spot to me.

Not building the ATT Center downtown in the first place was a colossal mistake. The County Commissioners in the article stating they want to develop a plan to keep the Spurs there is a doubling down on stupid.

They can also tear down the Wood Courthouse since its a mold infested shit hole as well. Plenty of land for both arena and stadium.

Twisted_Dawg
07-15-2023, 08:45 PM
I wasn't in SA at the time but did they really sell the Alamodome as a future NFL stadium? Did the Spurs decide to play there before it was built or after? I suppose the Spurs playing their for almost 10 years gave the impression that it wasn't a bust but that place looks like it was out of date when it opened, can't imagine the NFL agreeing to that stadium.

Actually it was pitched as a dual sport stadiumfor football and baseball. The supporters released two architectural drawings of the proposed stadium and both were incredibly fantastic and futuristic. I seem to recall one looked a bit like Jerry World. Based on those drawings, voters went to the polls to vote and approve the building.
Then the great switch occurred when the drawing of the current Alamodomr was released. Many of us were horrified by that design.

spurs10
07-15-2023, 08:48 PM
As others have said, Austin is very unlikely with ACL, SXSW, The Grand Prix, and other non-stop goings-on to be able to be a better home to the San Antonio Spurs. It doesn't work. A few games...sure.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 08:51 PM
Red sent a model or a cake of the Alamodome to the owners or the commissioner. It was embarrassing.

Bud Adams was still in Houston at the time, and the Cowboys were a huge draw. No way either of them was going to allow south Texas to have a competing fan base.

I loved watching games there. I don't think I ever saw a game at Hemisfair that wasn't obstructed view seating. It was great being able to see everything.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 08:53 PM
Actually it was pitched as a dual sport stadiumfor football and baseball. The supporters released two architectural drawings of the proposed stadium and both were incredibly fantastic and futuristic. I seem to recall one looked a bit like Jerry World. Based on those drawings, voters went to the polls to vote and approve the building.
Then the great switch occurred when the drawing of the current Alamodomr was released. Many of us were horrified by that design.

If memory serves, the final design wouldn't work for baseball.

Das Texan
07-15-2023, 09:20 PM
If memory serves, the final design wouldn't work for baseball.

Yes if memory serves because they refused to pay the extra 2 million or so to design the roof to be adequate for baseball.

offset formation
07-15-2023, 10:46 PM
That’s the San Antonio mindset. Franchises are just awarded by the authorities on high once you check the right boxes. LOL.

The reality is that San Antonio will have to get on its horse and hustle to keep the Spurs. No other pro sports franchise is coming before 2100 at the earliest. SA just does not have and never will have the base of major corporate activity to provide the foundation for supporting another team. The Spurs basically HAVE to be the best organization in pro sports to survive in San Antonio.

Take baseball. San Antonio can’t get its act together on AAA, much less MLB. Meanwhile, Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal, and Portland all have ownership groups and stadium plans ready and waiting to go once MLB decides to expand around 2030 or so once the Rays’ situation gets squared away.

And NFL? Please. They’re already at 32. They already have the SA market locked down with the Dallas Cowboys. Their mind is geared toward international expansion if they do anything at all.

It is far, FAR likelier that SA fucks itself and loses the Spurs to Austin in spite of the Wemby windfall than it is that SA ever gets a second pro team.

Precisely why I'm saying this opportunity to bundle a major sports entertainment complex in downtown SA should be done with an eye towards the future. And as I noted above, perhaps when JJ dies, his hold on the NFL ownership group goes with him if an allstar ownership group gets its proposal on point for SA expansion. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Red McCombs certainly thought he could move a team here but kept getting cockblocked by JJ.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2023, 10:54 PM
oh, by the way, McCombs has lifetime concession rights to every event there.He dead.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2023, 11:42 PM
He dead.
It lasted his lifetime. :lol

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if his estate still gets the money.

CorrectCrusader
07-15-2023, 11:51 PM

San Antonio is a cowboys city and that isn't gonna change

BackHome
07-15-2023, 11:55 PM
I agree they need to look at the future maybe professional soccer or baseball team to pair with the Spurs should be minimum. I don’t know if Jerry kicks the bucket gives them a chance at a NFL team as both Dallas and Houston would fight it. Either way it needs to be built close to the river walk

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2023, 08:11 AM
Nfl is never coming. It's eyeing international. Any expansion will be Durope and Mexico City.

slick'81
07-16-2023, 11:16 AM
Nfl is never coming. It's eyeing international. Any expansion will be Durope and Mexico City.

yea that ship has probably sailed. And fans here wont show up to all those regular season baseball games

Obstructed_View
07-16-2023, 11:22 AM
yea that ship has probably sailed. And fans here wont show up to all those regular season baseball games
The thousands of empty seats at Spurs games last season are evidence of that.

baseline bum
07-16-2023, 11:26 AM

Good. I don't want to pay $2 billion for an NFL stadium. Now for baseball maybe.

CGD
07-16-2023, 11:29 AM

Yeah the dome needs to be imploded and upgraded

LittleCriminal
07-16-2023, 11:36 AM
What if they built the new arena inside the Hemisphere??

CGD
07-16-2023, 11:39 AM
Good. I don't want to pay $2 billion for an NFL stadium. Now for baseball maybe.

Pass on baseball. It’s dying notwithstanding the recent changes. Jones will NEVER allow Football in SA, and, honestly, SA is not a soccer town for a lot a misunderstood assumption about Hispanics.

This might sound weird, but if the economics make sense, I’d seriously consider SA for NHL. Sounds weird but I’ve now been to places like Tampa, Raleigh, and Vegas where warm weather fans go nuts for the sport (like wild). I also see it here in DC, where arguably it’s the most popular local team of all the sports. There is something about the fast pace, smaller team, and shorter game that will make it recognizable to a “basketball city” like SA.

baseline bum
07-16-2023, 12:09 PM
Pass on baseball. It’s dying notwithstanding the recent changes. Jones will NEVER allow Football in SA, and, honestly, SA is not a soccer town for a lot a misunderstood assumption about Hispanics.

This might sound weird, but if the economics make sense, I’d seriously consider SA for NHL. Sounds weird but I’ve now been to places like Tampa, Raleigh, and Vegas where warm weather fans go nuts for the sport (like wild). I also see it here in DC, where arguably it’s the most popular local team of all the sports. There is something about the fast pace, smaller team, and shorter game that will make it recognizable to a “basketball city” like SA.

I'd love NHL too, shit I might take that over MLB. Feel bad seeing the US steal all of Canada's teams though. I went up to Toronto one time when I was 18 and got constantly asked if I played hockey and then I'd say no since San Antonio winter temps were like 18C. God Canadians seem to fucking love hockey, hate to see that taken away with the NHL setting up in so many US cities now.

slick'81
07-16-2023, 12:23 PM
I'd love NHL too, shit I might take that over MLB. Feel bad seeing the US steal all of Canada's teams though. I went up to Toronto one time when I was 18 and got constantly asked if I played hockey and then I'd say no since San Antonio winter temps were like 18C. God Canadians seem to fucking love hockey, hate to see that taken away with the NHL setting up in so many US cities now.

I always thought San Antonio could get a nhl team . Those iguana games were lit asf

Extra Stout
07-16-2023, 12:31 PM
The Coyotes were allegedly up for relocation, but now it looks like they’ve figured out a way to build something in the East Valley with zero public money and no need for another referendum.

Expansion is a no-go. The NHL is at 32 teams already with recent moves into Vegas and Seattle. Once North American leagues get to 32 they’re basically done. Decades will go by before one of these leagues goes to 36 or 40.

If there were an NHL team looking to move (though if not even the Coyotes are up to it, who else is there?), San Antonio would be competing with freaking Houston. Coincidentally to this discussion, though, having both the AT&T Center and a new downtown arena would be an advantage for getting the NHL (unless the Holt group also owned the hockey team) since each team could have its own venue in which to control revenue. In Houston, unless Fertitta buys the team, there is no suitable separate venue, and being the Rockets’ tenant in Toyota Center is not a recipe for success.

wildbill2u
07-16-2023, 01:04 PM
I still haven't heard anything about the potential location for the proposed multi-use facility. Politically speaking, it is no longer cool for governments to use eminent domain to take private property for public use because it ususally means taking away the areas where lots of poor people live as the "just compensation" is less than what the owners claim after talking to attorneys. I suspect that is why none of the housing to the east of the Dome was ever threatened by the use of eminent domain, although it might have been the logical solution to increasing parking for the Dome.

So far, any of the floated "downtown" locations I've heard mentioned aren't currently vacant and would stir up a lawsuit in a heartbeat if the City tried to take the properties, businesses, and housing away from the current owners. However, do you smell a rat when you hear that some property might be acquired up near the Pearl development. It's near to downtown, but that is nearly irrelevant since it has already been developed into a shopping and entertainment and residential complex. Imagine the extension of the river walk up to there and you have a pretty neat package to offer---assuming you have the site for a large sports complex with adequate parking. I know some additional space has been cleared in the area that is being used for parting right now. Cool.

Extra Stout
07-16-2023, 01:24 PM
Too tight a fit next to Pearl, but maybe across I-35 next to SAMA.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2023, 01:27 PM
Problem with NHL is the season runs concurrent with the NBA. Don't think San Antonio fans will spend the money.

Ocotillo
07-16-2023, 01:49 PM
Use the Brackenridge Muni golf course property

exstatic
07-16-2023, 03:25 PM
Use the Brackenridge Muni golf course property

Just checked Google maps. That’s almost as far from downtown as the ATT.

OldMan88
07-16-2023, 03:26 PM
I love watching the Spurs play, but I’m really glad I live outside of SA & Bexar County tax zone so I won’t be paying my direct taxes to build a 3rd facility for the Spurs, a non-existent NFL or MLB team to play in. My taxes paid for the Alamodome & the current Arena. Unfortunately, San Antonio doesn’t have the requisite income demographic to support a NFL or MLB team, even if Houston & Dallas would agree to it. It’s a hard fact of life that the rich & influential employ the politicians to force those of modest means to pay for their luxury facilities so they don’t have to dig into their pockets. Ya’ll that live in the zone…. Have fun with that, & squeal like a pig!

spurraider21
07-16-2023, 03:29 PM
:lmao baseball

exstatic
07-16-2023, 03:40 PM
I love watching the Spurs play, but I’m really glad I live outside of SA & Bexar County tax zone so I won’t be paying my direct taxes to build a 3rd facility for the Spurs, a non-existent NFL or MLB team to play in. My taxes paid for the Alamodome & the current Arena. Unfortunately, San Antonio doesn’t have the requisite income demographic to support a NFL or MLB team, even if Houston & Dallas would agree to it. It’s a hard fact of life that the rich & influential employ the politicians to force those of modest means to pay for their luxury facilities so they don’t have to dig into their pockets. Ya’ll that live in the zone…. Have fun with that, & squeal like a pig!

No one in Bexar County paid a dime for the ATT. It was funded almost entirely by out of towners via hotel and rental car taxes.

baseline bum
07-16-2023, 04:32 PM
No one in Bexar County paid a dime for the ATT. It was funded almost entirely by out of towners via hotel and rental car taxes.

Anyone stupid enough to come here for vacation deserves to be soaked tbh

baseline bum
07-16-2023, 04:57 PM
:lmao baseball

How can you have lived in LA all those years and not enjoyed going to Dodger Stadium? SMH god damn Millennials

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExNnRhdXhtdHRucDFjZmVrZ3d4N2xvNm5 iMjJmZGFtM3JsaGVheWVnaiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfY nlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/fqtyYcXoDV0X6ss8Mf/giphy.gif

ChumpDumper
07-16-2023, 05:20 PM
Problem with NHL is the season runs concurrent with the NBA. Don't think San Antonio fans will spend the money.It was a bit of a headscratcher when SS&E sold the Rampage outside of the near-perfect COVID timing. I guess they were missing out of too many potential AT&T events with the dates already blacked out.

spurraider21
07-16-2023, 06:35 PM
How can you have lived in LA all those years and not enjoyed going to Dodger Stadium? SMH god damn Millennials

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExNnRhdXhtdHRucDFjZmVrZ3d4N2xvNm5 iMjJmZGFtM3JsaGVheWVnaiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfY nlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/fqtyYcXoDV0X6ss8Mf/giphy.gif
Tbh i have. We’d go to the all you can eat pavilion out in right field and crush a bunch of dodger dogs and nachos

game was a side attraction :lol

Mugen
07-16-2023, 06:40 PM
Tbh i have. We’d go to the all you can eat pavilion out in right field and crush a bunch of dodger dogs and nachos

Good times til about the 8th inning, that's when the MS-13 guys would threaten to meet you in the parking lot tbh :lol

baseline bum
07-16-2023, 06:46 PM

Damn you got San Antonio in your blood man

spurraider21
07-16-2023, 06:48 PM
Damn you got San Antonio in your blood man
Yeah but blessed with insane metabolism. Have never gone over 145 pounds :lol

was genetically designed to survive in that environment

spurraider21
07-16-2023, 06:50 PM
Good times til about the 8th inning, that's when the MS-13 guys would threaten to meet you in the parking lot tbh :lol
Seen much worse shit at raider games in Oakland and San Diego :lol

baseline bum
07-16-2023, 06:50 PM

!RemindMe 10 years

Obstructed_View
07-16-2023, 07:23 PM
Anyone stupid enough to come here for vacation deserves to be soaked tbh
*raises hand*
I love San Antonio. I'll pay a little extra.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2023, 07:25 PM

Yeah, young feller. Just wait. :lol

spurraider21
07-16-2023, 08:13 PM
!RemindMe 10 years
I don’t eat like an animal anymore :lol. My eating habits in college were abysmal. Escaped that lifestyle before it was too late. Used to have fast food at least 3x a week, had on average like 2 cans of soda a day.

haven’t had soda in the house for about 6 years now, and fast food maybe like twice a month. I dodged the health bullet when it counted

baseline bum
07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
I don’t eat like an animal anymore :lol. My eating habits in college were abysmal. Escaped that lifestyle before it was too late. Used to have fast food at least 3x a week, had on average like 2 cans of soda a day.

haven’t had soda in the house for about 6 years now, and fast food maybe like twice a month. I dodged the health bullet when it counted

Yeah soda fucks you up after maybe 35. I drink soda like once a week now.

The Whopper
07-16-2023, 08:46 PM
So this article was above the fold on today’s Sunday paper. I read it again and realized there’s no actual news in the story. According to “unnamed sources” the Spurs are examining possibilities regarding a new stadium over the next nine years? I imagine their stadium situation is always a matter for concern for them. I don’t have any unnamed sources in the Spurs FO and I could have told you that. Then a walk down the memory lane of our existing stadia and more Wembanyama hype. Sells papers and views, I suppose.

lefty
07-16-2023, 08:58 PM
Why?

Larger seats?

offset formation
07-16-2023, 09:19 PM

what are you, 5'6"

slick'81
07-16-2023, 09:21 PM
As long as tim duncan gets his statue

spurraider21
07-16-2023, 10:07 PM
what are you, 5'6"
Just under 5’11

always been skinny

T Park
07-16-2023, 10:33 PM
Problem with NHL is the season runs concurrent with the NBA. Don't think San Antonio fans will spend the money.

they would.

lots of hockey fans in SA. the Rampage drew very well, one of the best in minor league hockey, and that was for a team that was half ass run.

T Park
07-16-2023, 10:34 PM
It was a bit of a headscratcher when SS&E sold the Rampage outside of the near-perfect COVID timing. I guess they were missing out of too many potential AT&T events with the dates already blacked out.

minor league sports isn't a big money maker, hockey being the least, but it still, me as a long time season ticket holder and Blues fan, who they were an affiliate with, pissed me the hell off when they sold the team.

SayTown
07-17-2023, 02:30 PM

I can see it now 😎 The San Antonio Vaqueros 😂

SayTown
07-17-2023, 02:46 PM

Size isn't what matters as much as money and San Antonio is ranked in the 30s in both GDP and TV Market size. I think a football team could work if the stadium was built in between San Antonio and Austin.

Spur|n|Austin
07-17-2023, 02:53 PM
Might be a thought to remove the Alamodome and build something more conscious of Basketball AND Football. This way they keep the a Bowl Game and UIL contract(s) , UTSA games (which really should be closer to campus), and a modern venue for concerts.

OR they just move the team to Austin :downspin:

Spur|n|Austin
07-17-2023, 02:54 PM
Might be a thought to remove the Alamodome and build something more conscious of Basketball AND Football. This way they keep the a Bowl Game and UIL contract(s) , UTSA games (which really should be closer to campus), and a modern venue for concerts.

As long as tim duncan gets his statue

:bobo

Ocotillo
07-17-2023, 05:18 PM
Just checked Google maps. That’s almost as far from downtown as the ATT.

I am half joking because I don't think they (the powers that be) would ever give up the golf course. Now, as the crow flies, it may be the same distance from downtown but there is a lot more entertainment around it then the AT&T center area of town. Proximity to the Pearl and Broadway have lots of pre and post game places to go.

ChumpDumper
07-17-2023, 05:25 PM
Might be a thought to remove the Alamodome and build something more conscious of Basketball AND Football. This way they keep the a Bowl Game and UIL contract(s) , UTSA games (which really should be closer to campus), and a modern venue for concerts.No reason to even consider getting rid of the Alamodome until it's not getting Final Fours anymore. Just stick a Spurs arena next to it like the Superdome.

And UTSA probably has the land for West Campus football stadium, but there's no way in hell I'm going to watch a September game burning my ass on aluminum bleachers. They desperately need to build an arena first for basketball and volleyball. Hang onto the dome for as long as is practical.

lebomb
07-18-2023, 07:08 AM
No reason to even consider getting rid of the Alamodome until it's not getting Final Fours anymore. Just stick a Spurs arena next to it like the Superdome.

And UTSA probably has the land for West Campus football stadium, but there's no way in hell I'm going to watch a September game burning my ass on aluminum bleachers. They desperately need to build an arena first for basketball and volleyball. Hang onto the dome for as long as is practical.

Damn Cumdumpster! I agree with you for a change. :bobo

:claw

bigfan
07-18-2023, 09:31 AM
Used to be nothing better than watching Artis school some other visiting center resulting in victory then hitting the Riverwalk (or just that bar at the bottom of the older Marriott) when the Spurs played at Hemisfair. The Spurs should be downtown as close to the Riverwalk as possible. I suggest the area near Nueva and Navarro streets, not much there except a few old buildings and parking lots to buy out.

Bruno
07-18-2023, 12:54 PM
While being close to the Riverwalk might be great for fans, it might be the opposite of what Spurs are looking for.

A fan going to a Riverwalk bar/restaurant after a game will generate no money for Spurs. If Spurs build a new arena, I expect it to be surrounded by bars/restaurants linked to them that will generate additional revenues. Most/all sports' franchises around the world follow that model when building a new arena/stadium.

lebomb
07-18-2023, 01:09 PM
While being close to the Riverwalk might be great for fans, it might be the opposite of what Spurs are looking for.

A fan going to a Riverwalk bar/restaurant after a game will generate no money for Spurs. If Spurs build a new arena, I expect it to be surrounded by bars/restaurants linked to them that will generate additional revenues. Most/all sports' franchises around the world follow that model when building a new arena/stadium.

Wrong.........Riverwalk money directly affects the Spurs. Restaurants, bars and hotels will gain revenue which in turn......... Investors will have more cashflow to throw at the Spurs. Season tickets, luxury boxes, etc. Its a win win being close to downtown.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2023, 01:20 PM

I think that's less of a concern if SS&E continues to get money from all the operations of the arena as they currently do with the AT&T Center, around which there is still basically nothing. If they really want to try to control everything around a new arena, it starts to limit the potential downtown sites to Fox Tech (probably kicking the Missions out of the picture) or Lone Star. Lone Star would likely have to be a super ambitious multiuse plan starting from scratch like the Domain or East Village in Austin. It would not be impossible but would be a real shift in perspective attempting to create a destination instead of dropping into or next to an existing destination.

Bruno
10-28-2023, 01:00 AM

Obstructed_View
10-28-2023, 11:39 AM
Wherever the Spurs play next, it will be awash in promises and exist in compromise and disappointment. Politicians will get rich off it.

manufan10
02-22-2024, 04:19 PM

"The Spurs’ search for a downtown location for a new arena took a step forward Thursday when the University of Texas Board of Regents conditionally approved a plan to lease or sell the Institute of Texan Cultures (https://texancultures.utsa.edu/) property to the city of San Antonio."

CGD
02-22-2024, 04:30 PM
That would be an awesome location

The Truth #6
02-22-2024, 04:33 PM
It's going to happen. I'm not sure if there's any pushback from the conservation society, but it seems like everything is lining up from what I understand.

CGD
02-22-2024, 04:38 PM
So many field trips during my elementary and middle school years to that museum (and also a random Gypsy King concert once). Hopefully they find a new home for it if even just for nostalgia’s sake.

The Truth #6
02-22-2024, 04:50 PM
The ITC was too big and disorganized as an institution. They kept misallocating funds. But due to their dysfunction over the decades, maybe the Spurs can get back downtown.

Leetonidas
02-22-2024, 04:57 PM
Nice. Hopefully we get that new arena in the next 5 years. Would be nice to host an AS game in San Antonio again

scott
02-22-2024, 04:59 PM
Great location. Fond memories of sliding down the hill on a cardbox box during the TX Folklife Festival as a kid

MultiTroll
02-22-2024, 05:05 PM
Wherever the Spurs play next, it will be awash in promises and exist in compromise and disappointment. Politicians will get rich off it.

BatManu20
02-22-2024, 05:10 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/5mBE2MiMVFITS/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9524zhk8fvpz614i9ds5d42o45vnxt1 uhetaiq3v3pr&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

BatManu20
02-22-2024, 05:11 PM
That would be an awesome location

Yup. Not going to find a better location than that tbh. Right next to Tower of the Americas and less than a mile from The River Walk.

Robz4000
02-22-2024, 05:20 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/5mBE2MiMVFITS/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9524zhk8fvpz614i9ds5d42o45vnxt1 uhetaiq3v3pr&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/004/161/mybody.jpg

baseline bum
02-22-2024, 05:40 PM

Still need the city to gift the Spurs at least half a billion in welfare for the stadium to happen.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2024, 05:42 PM
This makes a whole lot of sense for both the Spurs and the ITC, which will apparently move in behind the Crockett Hotel where it will get so much more traffic. Wouldn't have to worry about building a ton of new parking structures like they might in other locations.

Still need the city to gift the Spurs at least half a billion in welfare for the stadium to happen.
Tourists are gonna get soaked again.

Seventyniner
02-22-2024, 05:43 PM

Wemby himself increased the franchise's value by at least that much.

baseline bum
02-22-2024, 06:04 PM
Wemby himself increased the franchise's value by at least that much.

Doesn't mean they won't threaten to move to get a stadium gifted to them.

exstatic
02-22-2024, 06:12 PM
Nice. Hopefully we get that new arena in the next 5 years. Would be nice to host an AS game in San Antonio again

The contract runs thru 2032, so slim chance for a move before then.

Mugen
02-22-2024, 06:36 PM
Might have to take a trip down to Texas when this arena opens and if Wemby is still on the team tbh :lol

CGD
02-22-2024, 07:37 PM

Get ready, it’s happening

CGD
02-22-2024, 07:43 PM
This makes a whole lot of sense for both the Spurs and the ITC, which will apparently move in behind the Crockett Hotel where it will get so much more traffic. Wouldn't have to worry about building a ton of new parking structures like they might in other locations.

Tourists are gonna get soaked again.

The downtown needs it to be honest. Was there for a conference last year after a decade or so of not being back, and gotta say downtown is looking a little sad. My understanding is lots of the conventions and big corp events are gravitating to areas on 281 north of 1604 (which I haven’t seen).

CGD
02-22-2024, 07:44 PM
The contract runs thru 2032, so slim chance for a move before then.

They might decide to go in breach for 3-4 years depending on the $$$.

TekXX
02-22-2024, 08:46 PM
I mean 9 years isn't so far away. You'll need 4-5 years to negotiate all the details, need to pass a bond to hose tourists, 2-3 years to actually build the thing. 2032 will be here before you know it.

Twisted_Dawg
02-22-2024, 09:30 PM
I hope some innovative out of town architects are brought in to design the new arena. I shudder at the thought at some stale SA architects getting involved in this project.

Ditty
02-23-2024, 01:27 AM
I have heard how great the GoldenOne and Chase Center are in Northern Cali. Hopefully they look into those architects and maybe the Moody Center also..

baseline bum
02-23-2024, 01:30 AM
I hope some innovative out of town architects are brought in to design the new arena. I shudder at the thought at some stale SA architects getting involved in this project.

I'm fine with another Frost Bank Center. Unlike Hemisfair Arena or The Alamodome even the last row of seats still have great views in it.

BatManu20
04-04-2024, 05:19 PM
Itshappening.gif

ace3g
04-04-2024, 06:28 PM
https://twitter.com/AirlessJordan/status/1775649499702038650

manufan10
04-17-2024, 03:09 PM

ChumpDumper
04-17-2024, 05:35 PM
:lol sounds like SS&E is pissed at UT for being too public about Hemisfair and the museum.

bigfan
04-18-2024, 02:24 PM
Used to go to tons of games at Hemisfair and it was so great after a victory to basically walk across the street to the Riverwalk to celebrate. Im moving back to SA next year and hope this all works out, might even splurge on a season ticket, especialy if they go back to downtown.

TrainOfThought5
04-20-2024, 01:05 PM

:bobo

a multipurpose facility could really be a great answer if everyone puts money into it.

scott
04-21-2024, 01:56 AM
What does a multipurpose football/basketball stadium look like? Don’t want a repeat of cramming the Spurs into a football stadium.