PDA

View Full Version : One exec told me "Some good players are going to get cut from OKC & we all need to be ready to jump when that happens

playblair
07-19-2023, 10:56 PM
who do u want the spurs to claim from the list when cut..........6 will be cut.......

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Luguentz Dort
Josh Giddey
Jalen Williams
Chet Holmgren
Vasilije Micic
Ousmane Dieng
Isaiah Joe
Kenrich Williams
Jaylin Williams
Cason Wallace
Jack White
Davis Bertans
Aleksej Pokusevski
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
TyTy Washington Jr.
Tre Mann
Victor Oladipo
Aaron Wiggins
Usman Garuba
Rudy Gay

BacktoBasics
07-19-2023, 11:04 PM
If SGA was a Spur we'd have members wanting to cut him.

TD 21
07-19-2023, 11:13 PM
They waived 21 today. Top 11 are locks, with 13-14 likely and 15, 17, 19-20 competing for the final 2 spots barring a consolidation trade.

With the Spurs dealing with a crunch of their own, I don't see room for anyone.

8FOR!3
07-19-2023, 11:35 PM
It would have to take a surprise cut like Poku and that would never happen imo.

Mr. Body
07-19-2023, 11:48 PM
Olapido, Robinson-Earl, Jack Black, Garuba, Tyty Washington, maybe Mann. Unless Presti can get trades together for them. They're all cheap, other than Oladipo, who is done. I doubt teams would trade for any of them, however. I don't think any are worth assets. Teams would rather just wait for cuts.

Spurs are in a better spot with their acquisitions because they're actual veterans with playoff experience, rotation guys. Both teams may be looking at Portland/Miami but SAS looks better.

Ariel
07-20-2023, 04:32 AM
ive been told that spurs plan on signing the standout of summer league to a roster spot contract ala johnathon simmons to fulfill the salary floor rule........the player can come from any summer league team so watch as many games as u can........
Source is the same as that one?

MultiTroll
07-20-2023, 07:03 AM
Chet

Chinook
07-20-2023, 07:05 AM
I know it seems like this wouldn't matter to SA since the Spurs have their own roster crunch going on, but they still need two-way contracts, and some of these guys likely to be waived are going to be eligible for that. Someone like Washington could make sense if the team finds themselves needing a developmental PG for some reason.

CGD
07-20-2023, 07:18 AM
Wow, I lost track of when TyTy ended up at OKC. Def makes sense for a two way.

CGD
07-20-2023, 07:22 AM
Spurs will have something similar. They likely have to cut one of Payne, Osman, or Bulllock. I suspect they like Bullock based on an interview they did with Wright during one of the summer league games.

Interesting tidbit, spotrac has the bullock contract having a 5% trade kicker. Not sure if that helps or hurts his case for staying on the roster.

slick'81
07-20-2023, 07:24 AM
Isiah roby here we come:hungry:

TXstbobcat
07-20-2023, 08:25 AM
Rudy Gay got cut.

https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/news/thunder-roster-crunch-veteran-forward-rudy-gay-waived

exstatic
07-20-2023, 08:54 AM

Only the fucking Rockets would draft a UK guard and stuff him behind the dumbass back court: Green and KPJ. The cherry on top is to take the former FRP and jettison him at the end of his rookie year.

mo7888
07-20-2023, 09:10 AM
TyTy is the main one..

Wu36
07-20-2023, 09:19 AM
Why would we all need to jump? Spurs will be in the same situation in the coming years with out trading all the picks for something

SpursFan86
07-20-2023, 09:43 AM

OP trying to pass this off as his own inside sources :lol

Mr. Body
07-20-2023, 10:02 AM
Why would we all need to jump? Spurs will be in the same situation in the coming years with out trading all the picks for something

The Spurs don't. I think it's exaggeration for most anyone. A team could definitely take a flier on Garuba or Washington. Tre Mann, who they drafted at 18, isn't that great, but would find a team. None of them are pushing anyone over the line.

TD 21
07-20-2023, 10:06 AM

Also was reported to be rerouted. All of these players are probably above a two-way at this point.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-20-2023, 10:14 AM

:lol

Sauces. Noticed he edited his "source" which is good considering he basically reposted this tweet verbatim.

Mr. Body
07-20-2023, 10:15 AM
Just realized that Bertans has two seasons left at $17,000,000 and $16,000,000, who they took on to move up to the Dallas spot. They should hope Cason Wallace pans out because that's a lot of salary to eat to move up a few spots.

Kindergarten Cop
07-20-2023, 10:17 AM

How do we know that playblair isn't Keith Smith?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-20-2023, 10:20 AM
Just realized that Bertans has two seasons left at $17,000,000 and $16,000,000, who they took on to move up to the Dallas spot. They should hope Cason Wallace pans out because that's a lot of salary to eat to move up a few spots.

Yeah, Davis did pretty good with that deal.

rascal
07-20-2023, 10:21 AM
There are at least five on this list after the Gay cut that the Spurs wouldn't have any interest in. Expect players that the Spurs wouldn't have any interest in as the ones who will be waived.

Spurs are set as is.
What you see is the team. Just have to waive down to the opening day roster.

exstatic
07-20-2023, 10:41 AM

You actually remembered to log out and back in before trashing your alt this time.

jjspur
07-20-2023, 11:20 AM
This is what happens when you hoard draft picks and have so so roster management. OKC is great at acquiring draft picks and such, just not as great at using them once they do get them.

spurraider21
07-20-2023, 11:22 AM
he only has like 5m guaranteed next year

couchman
07-20-2023, 11:31 AM
I have to think the Spurs are watching and learning lessons from OKC since they’re a few years ahead of us in the process.
There are real questions about how many young prospects you can develop at once: there is only so much playing time and one ball. I genuinely believe the Spurs are superior to most when it comes to maximizing a player’s potential, but I also think we can only carry a few prospects at a time and maintain those results.
We likely have THREE First Round Picks next year!
We’ll either need to let young prospects go or consolidate. I’m looking for that consolidation move to happen before the trade deadline if not sooner.

DPG21920
07-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Ty Ty hasn’t shown much more than Blake IMO. Now, you can argue that it was situational and Blake had more structure etc…but not sure Ty Ty over Blake makes sense given what they both have shown and where both are at in their careers.

mo7888
07-20-2023, 11:50 AM
Ty Ty hasn’t shown much more than Blake IMO. Now, you can argue that it was situational and Blake had more structure etc…but not sure Ty Ty over Blake makes sense given what they both have shown and where both are at in their careers.

I agree if you look at it as an 'either or' situation. I wouldn’t cut blake for TyTy even though they should have about the same value. If Blake gets moved as part of a consolidation trade (not very likely i realize) then TyTy makes sense at that point.

Chinook
07-20-2023, 11:56 AM
It's possible Washington accepting a two way could make them willing to risk Wesley getting claim as they try to slip him into a two-way contract. The more young PG options they have, the better.

Mitch Cumsteen
07-20-2023, 12:50 PM
Hope Rudy ends up in Miami strictly for the back of the jersey photo ops with Kevin Love.

sfernald
07-20-2023, 01:06 PM
Delete

sfernald
07-20-2023, 01:07 PM
he only has like 5m guaranteed next year

A contract like that can be a nice trade asset.

spurraider21
07-20-2023, 01:24 PM
its not one... yet

dallas had to pay to get off his contract a month ago

Mr. Body
07-20-2023, 01:33 PM

It's why I can see the Spurs keep Graham over Payne -- who I think was always going to be flipped. Graham is already a great culture fit and his contract is only partial next year I believe.

exstatic
07-20-2023, 02:07 PM
It's why I can see the Spurs keep Graham over Payne -- who I think was always going to be flipped. Graham is already a great culture fit and his contract is only partial next year I believe.

Yeah, I think he has like $2.5-3M guaranteed next year.

Bruno
07-20-2023, 02:13 PM
I find that, with the changes of the 2017 CBA, partially guaranteed contracts like Bertans and Graham have almost no interest at all. I take easily Payne's contract over graham's one.

Mr. Body
07-20-2023, 02:18 PM
I find that, with the changes of the 2017 CBA, partially guaranteed contracts like Bertans and Graham have almost no interest at all. I take easily Payne's contract over graham's one.

Possibly. But that was before the new onerous CBA, although I suppose these owners are so rich saving nine million on Graham's contract in an instant doesn't matter that much.

exstatic
07-20-2023, 02:49 PM
Possibly. But that was before the new onerous CBA, although I suppose these owners are so rich saving nine million on Graham's contract in an instant doesn't matter that much.

That $9M could be the difference between the 1st apron and the 2nd.

Mr. Body
07-20-2023, 03:02 PM
That $9M could be the difference between the 1st apron and the 2nd.

I think the salary cap hit is from the full trade amount, isn't it? If the player is cut, only the smaller amount is owed, but the full contract amount is what counts?

exstatic
07-20-2023, 03:57 PM
I think the salary cap hit is from the full trade amount, isn't it? If the player is cut, only the smaller amount is owed, but the full contract amount is what counts?

If they move him before the February deadline, I think the new team receives the benefit of his partial guarantee for next year, both cap wise and salary wise.

taps
07-20-2023, 06:33 PM
The cherry on top is to take the former FRP and jettison him at the end of his rookie year.

Oh gawd didn’t know that. I don’t want to be like the lolrockets I am definitely voting to keep Blake Wesley around.

Chinook
07-20-2023, 10:28 PM
Washington was cut in large part because the Rockets made seven first-round selections in 2021 and 2022. Whether he's going to bust or not, he definitely got caught up in the numbers game, as did Garuba. The cautionary tale here is for SA to not get stuck with all those draft picks in 2024 and 2025, not that it never makes sense cut a guy drafted at the bottom of the first. While some guys who get cut quickly end up having solid careers, most don't. I'd have interest in Tyty on a two-way deal even if Wesley is kept, but I'd have no illusions over what him getting cut so quickly means.

offset formation
07-20-2023, 10:33 PM
Hope Rudy ends up in Miami strictly for the back of the jersey photo ops with Kevin Love.

Username checks out.

LittleCriminal
07-20-2023, 10:56 PM
Chet Holmgren.. Everybody else.. Pfft..

exstatic
07-21-2023, 06:18 AM
Washington was cut in large part because the Rockets made seven first-round selections in 2021 and 2022. Whether he's going to bust or not, he definitely got caught up in the numbers game, as did Garuba. The cautionary tale here is for SA to not get stuck with all those draft picks in 2024 and 2025, not that it never makes sense cut a guy drafted at the bottom of the first. While some guys who get cut quickly end up having solid careers, most don't. I'd have interest in Tyty on a two-way deal even if Wesley is kept, but I'd have no illusions over what him getting cut so quickly means.

Garuba sucked, though. He got nearly 100 games to show out. He didn’t even play well for RGV.

Tyty got a much shorter stint, but in that time, he killed it at RGV, putting up better gleague numbers than Scoot in a limited sample.

ambchang
07-21-2023, 07:31 AM
I’d be very interested in Tyty. I’d venture to say I’d take him over a few players on the spurs roster.

sfernald
07-21-2023, 12:24 PM
I’d be very interested in Tyty. I’d venture to say I’d take him over a few players on the spurs roster.

I'm sure for a cheap second he can be yours!

Ariel
07-21-2023, 08:45 PM
I'm sure for a cheap second he can be yours!
OKC would likely give him away for free if anyone could take him. I never understood the hype around him.

exstatic
07-21-2023, 08:56 PM
OKC would likely give him away for free if anyone could take him. I never understood the hype around him.

UK guards tend to do well in the NBA, and he CRUSHED his brief stint in the gleague. 30/7/8.

Ariel
07-21-2023, 09:10 PM
UK guards tend to do well in the NBA, and he CRUSHED his brief stint in the gleague. 30/7/8.
Yeah, I've watched him in College and in the NBA and was utterly unimpressed. I'm also not a fan of random connections like the Kentucky "magic" touch. Pass.

exstatic
07-21-2023, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I've watched him in College and in the NBA and was utterly unimpressed. I'm also not a fan of random connections like the Kentucky "magic" touch. Pass.

Yeah, it’s not an occasional thing,more like 85% Hit relate, but you do you.

Ariel
07-21-2023, 09:20 PM
Yeah, it’s not an occasional thing,more like 85% Hit relate, but you do you.
That's your logic? Because they've had a string of successful guards everyone following must also succeed? Is there some kind of reasoning behind it, or are you fond of magical thinking? BTW, call me heretic but I also think Cason Wallace is overrated.

exstatic
07-21-2023, 09:25 PM
That's your logic? Because they've had a string of successful guards everyone following must also succeed? Is there some kind of reasoning behind it, or are you fond of magic thinking?

It’s not magic.. They get the best recruits in the country every year, usually 3 of the top 10, or even the top 5. Imagine an NBA team, one team, pulling 3 high lottery picks year after year.

Ariel
07-21-2023, 09:27 PM
It’s not magic.. They get the best recruits in the country every year, usually 3 of the top 10, or even the top 5. Imagine an NBA team, one team, pulling 3 high lottery picks year after year.
They got a string of successful recruits so everyone following is a success by definition even if they suck on the court. Gotcha.

exstatic
07-21-2023, 09:51 PM
They got a string of successful recruits so everyone following is a success by definition even if they suck on the court. Gotcha.

Top rated guards now WANT to go to UK, BECAUSE of this rep so yeah, the string continues and likely will until Calipari retires.

sfernald
07-21-2023, 10:15 PM

I don’t think OKC got 35 picks over the next seven years by giving away players for free!

Ariel
07-21-2023, 10:59 PM
I don’t think OKC got 35 picks over the next seven years by giving away players for free!
Ty Ty Washington got just salary dumped, if there was any interest in him he'd have gone elsewhere. He's not Paul George...

Mr. Body
07-21-2023, 11:52 PM
Thunder will want to squeeze anyone that wants Washington. They'll want a second rounder at least.

exstatic
07-22-2023, 06:15 AM
Ty Ty Washington got just salary dumped, if there was any interest in him he'd have gone elsewhere. He's not Paul George...

:rollin. BY HOUSTON, THE DUMBEST FUCKING TEAM ON THE PLANET.

Ariel
07-22-2023, 06:20 AM
After waving Rudy Gay, OKC has 5 players too many, this is what I think:
Oladipo gets waived.
Bertans is NOT waived, he's got too large a contract but next year is partially guaranteed, probably they'd like to see if any contender is interested by the trade deadline, when his contract will be shorter and more palatable
Jack White signed a non guaranteed contract, he's likely to be waived.
Ty Ty Washington is one of 100 combo guards, he needs to go. Unless they can package a few of them in a consolidation trade (say to a team such as Washington), he gets waived
That leaves 2 places to go.
Garuba is probably the one I'd be more interested in keeping given their roster construction. But they probably speculate on him doing well in FIBA worldcup and attracting interest. If he does, then I can see some team being willing to throw a 2nd rounder for him.
Jeremiah Robinson Earl is another possible guy that could+
I'd keep Tre Mann, but if they decide to part ways with him he can surely command a 2nd rounder from some team. He's pŕobably the guy I'm most interested in if cut, probably can be had for a 2nd rounder or some salary dump.
Personally, I'd be done with the Poku experiment, but Presti is probably too attached.
All in all, OKC has little leverage, and I don't see Ty Ty being the most interesting prospect of the bunch. I'd keep my eye on Tre Mann and Garuba, those two might return something (though not much).

Ariel
07-22-2023, 06:21 AM
Laugh away, I'm bookmarking this thread for future bumping.

exstatic
07-22-2023, 06:51 AM

Oooooh. Little Mermaid, I’m terrified that you have me on record saying that Houston was dumb for drafting a kid, and then one year later, salary dumping him after 31 games.

Ariel
07-22-2023, 08:47 AM
Oooooh. Little Mermaid, I’m terrified that you have me on record saying that Houston was dumb for drafting a kid, and then one year later, salary dumping him after 31 games.
Feeling grumpy today? :lol you just gave me flashbacks of elementary school, last time I've heard that reference was probably a 10 year old girl with double ponytail. Won't be able to get that image out of my head whenever you post :lol
If Houston was dumb it was in drafting Ty Ty rather than dumping him and I seriously doubt a guy every team passed on and had a horrible season will draw much interest from other teams, but for the record you may think whatever you like, what's ridiculous and infantile is the way you support your argument without any substance and going instead with "oh, but he played in Kentucky and a lot of guys from there did well". That logic is mindbogglingly retarded. Matches the humor I guess.

BacktoBasics
07-22-2023, 09:12 AM
I get what you're trying to say but the other side of the argument should create some perspective for you.

By your logic then scouting is magical wishful thinking, right? Recruiting history and pedigree does hold weight. It shows a consistent pattern of identifying talent that translates. Nothing magical about that.

Mr. Body
07-22-2023, 11:45 AM
After waving Rudy Gay, OKC has 5 players too many, this is what I think:
Oladipo gets waived.
Bertans is NOT waived, he's got too large a contract but next year is partially guaranteed, probably they'd like to see if any contender is interested by the trade deadline, when his contract will be shorter and more palatable
Jack White signed a non guaranteed contract, he's likely to be waived.
Ty Ty Washington is one of 100 combo guards, he needs to go. Unless they can package a few of them in a consolidation trade (say to a team such as Washington), he gets waived
That leaves 2 places to go.
Garuba is probably the one I'd be more interested in keeping given their roster construction. But they probably speculate on him doing well in FIBA worldcup and attracting interest. If he does, then I can see some team being willing to throw a 2nd rounder for him.
Jeremiah Robinson Earl is another possible guy that could+
I'd keep Tre Mann, but if they decide to part ways with him he can surely command a 2nd rounder from some team. He's pŕobably the guy I'm most interested in if cut, probably can be had for a 2nd rounder or some salary dump.
Personally, I'd be done with the Poku experiment, but Presti is probably too attached.
All in all, OKC has little leverage, and I don't see Ty Ty being the most interesting prospect of the bunch. I'd keep my eye on Tre Mann and Garuba, those two might return something (though not much).

Tre Mann has that OKC dividend. He's not good but it's the Thunder so he's close to greatness, just wait. Poku probably is kept. He gets hurt all the time, but that covers for how bad he's been. Still worth keeping although Dieng is going to eat up his minutes.

JRE is like Isaiah Roby for them at this point.

Bruno
07-22-2023, 12:07 PM
When first round draft picks start to struggle, the way their contract is structured hurt them. Teams have to decide whether or not they should keep them for the next season just after the current season training camp.

Washington and Garuba aren't interesting with their current contract because of that. Wesley might also be cut by Spurs at the end of the training camp because of first round draft picks contract structure

spurraider21
07-22-2023, 12:36 PM
When first round draft picks start to struggle, the way their contract is structured hurt them. Teams have to decide whether or not they should keep them for the next season just after the current season training camp.

Washington and Garuba aren't interesting with their current contract because of that. Wesley might also be cut by Spurs at the end of the training camp because of first round draft picks contract structure
If the structure was the issue the spurs could just decline to exercise Wesley’s option for 24-25, they don’t have to cut him

Seventyniner
07-22-2023, 12:47 PM

If the Spurs do get a chance at TyTy that means the Thunder dumped him too. Given your comment, by definition you would have to have greater esteem for the Thunder's FO than that of the Rockets.

Seventyniner
07-22-2023, 12:48 PM
If the structure was the issue the spurs could just decline to exercise Wesley’s option for 24-25, they don’t have to cut him

That decision has to be made a year in advance. When the Spurs cut Samanic just before the 2021-2022 season started they still had to pay him that season's salary because they had picked up that option a year earlier.

Bruno
07-22-2023, 12:59 PM

The issue is that at the end of the 2023-2024 season, Wesley would be an unrestricted free agent and Spurs would be forbidden to offer him a contract with a starting salary above the declined 2024-25 option of $2.6M.

A player like Ayo Dosunmu got $21M/3 years while Spurs could only offer Wesley $8M/3 years. If Spurs don't pick Wesley's option and keep him, they won't be able to re-sign him as soon as he shows some good things.

spurraider21
07-22-2023, 01:06 PM
That decision has to be made a year in advance. When the Spurs cut Samanic just before the 2021-2022 season started they still had to pay him that season's salary because they had picked up that option a year earlier.
I just said that. The spurs can decline his 24-25 player option in a couple of months.

exstatic
07-22-2023, 02:37 PM
I just said that. The spurs can decline his 24-25 player option in a couple of months.

If they cut him, it would be a roster decision which would not be resolved by declining his option for next year.

exstatic
07-22-2023, 02:40 PM
If the Spurs do get a chance at TyTy that means the Thunder dumped him too. Given your comment, by definition you would have to have greater esteem for the Thunder's FO than that of the Rockets.

You might want to revisit the title of the thread. Also if OKC lets him go, they won’t pay anyone for the privilege, in fact they got paid to Take him.

While i think Presti makes some sketchy picks, OKC is the gold standard for cap rental and management. Even if that weren’t the case, I’d have more respect for OKC than Houston, who seems to be turning into the new Knicks.

spurraider21
07-22-2023, 03:44 PM
If they cut him, it would be a roster decision which would not be resolved by declining his option for next year.
Aren’t cutting him and declining his 24-25 option two separate transactions? It’s not like it’s a guarantee that automatically kicks in on a certain day if not cut. It’s an option the team exercises. Think they can retain him this year and just decline next years option. He just becomes unrestricted then

or am i just flat wrong here

exstatic
07-22-2023, 03:50 PM
Aren’t cutting him and declining his 24-25 option two separate transactions? It’s not like it’s a guarantee that automatically kicks in on a certain day if not cut. It’s an option the team exercises. Think they can retain him this year and just decline next years option. He just becomes unrestricted then

or am i just flat wrong here

That would be like firing an employee, but they have to stay around for a year. My thought is if they don’t see him in their plans, they’d just cut him before the option deadline date.

spurraider21
07-22-2023, 05:21 PM
That would be like firing an employee, but they have to stay around for a year. My thought is if they don’t see him in their plans, they’d just cut him before the option deadline date.
Or he’s just not proven enough to justify the option. If he plays well they can still re-sign him at potentially more than what he was due.

this happens in the nfl all the time when a first round pick has his fifth year option declined then balls out

exstatic
07-22-2023, 06:00 PM
Or he’s just not proven enough to justify the option. If he plays well they can still re-sign him at potentially more than what he was due.

this happens in the nfl all the time when a first round pick has his fifth year option declined then balls out

No they can’t. He becomes unrestricted for everyone but us. SA can only pay him what his option would have been, like $2.5M.

spurraider21
07-22-2023, 09:31 PM
No they can’t. He becomes unrestricted for everyone but us. SA can only pay him what his option would have been, like $2.5M.
Ah didn’t know that

rankingtear
07-23-2023, 01:15 AM
We can open up
$ 2,698,066.00 in cap space so we can only claim Garuba, Washington, Jaylin, Joe, JRE, Wiggins, White. Other likely cuts like Mann and Poku has to clear waivers for us to sign.

callo1
07-25-2023, 07:27 PM
Always been an Oladipo fan. Wanted him to be in silver and black for years. Too bad he has had so many injuries.

CGD
07-29-2023, 07:17 AM
From an aggregator: “The Oklahoman, Joe Mussatto predicts that Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Victor Oladipo, Jack White, Usman Garuba and TyTy Washington are the the most likely players to be on the chopping block due to the Thunder‘s roster crunch.”

Any of those guys still good? And, can a TyTy or Garuba type even be eligible for a 2-way deal if they were once FRPs?

exstatic
07-29-2023, 08:08 AM
From an aggregator: “The Oklahoman, Joe Mussatto predicts that Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Victor Oladipo, Jack White, Usman Garuba and TyTy Washington are the the most likely players to be on the chopping block due to the Thunder‘s roster crunch.”

Any of those guys still good? And, can a TyTy or Garuba type even be eligible for a 2-way deal if they were once FRPs?

Jack White is a good guitarist, Oladipo is washed, JRE is alright, but we already have kind of a crunch at the 4/5, Garuba is a scrub, and TyTy is unknown but crushed it in limited games in the gleague, 30/7/7 in 5 games.

scott
07-31-2023, 03:46 PM
On the Lowe podcast last week I found it interesting that when the delved into this topic, that there is a popular logic that Giddy will be the odd man out when OKC looks to consolidate assets and make a move for a star. Makes some degree of sense in that Giddy is a young player who has flashed and still shows upside - but I would have assumed he was one of OKC's untouchables. Lowe's guest did disagree with this logic and say that Giddy would be untouchable for him.

Spurs won't be able to be a contender for Giddy, because the whole point of OKC moving him would be to pair with FRPs in exchange for a bona fide star... but I did find this quite interesting.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-31-2023, 03:49 PM
Don't teams have until late October to trim to their final rosters? This could be a long wait.

exstatic
07-31-2023, 04:30 PM
Don't teams have until late October to trim to their final rosters? This could be a long wait.

I think the season starts like the 3rd week of October, and preseason games maybe the second week. Cuts probably have to happen by maybe the 15th, but you’re right, it won’t be soon.

Ariel
08-19-2023, 09:46 AM
https://twitter.com/Rylan_Stiles/status/1692626525097459755

@Rylan_Stiles The Oklahoma City Thunder has waived guard TyTy Washington Jr. Per Thunder PR
Bumpity bump!

sfernald
08-19-2023, 10:06 AM
https://twitter.com/Rylan_Stiles/status/1692626525097459755

Bumpity bump!

let’s sign him. He’ll probably be better than half our point guards even just as a g league super star.

ginobilized
08-19-2023, 10:41 AM
Ty Ty reminds me a bit of a poor man's Juan Dixon. Not a true point guard, not a top-tier athlete, but a good player.
Blake Wesley might have more tools.

Mr. Body
08-19-2023, 03:00 PM
Washington will already be 22 in November.

jjspur
08-19-2023, 04:41 PM
Don't we still have a 3rd two way contract left ? Could possibly be a candidate for that unless he wants a minimum deal which we have no room for right now.

JPB
08-19-2023, 04:44 PM

How time flies.

sfernald
08-19-2023, 06:03 PM

past his prime already…

exstatic
08-20-2023, 07:50 AM
Jack White is a good guitarist, Oladipo is washed, JRE is alright, but we already have kind of a crunch at the 4/5, Garuba is a scrub, and TyTy is unknown but crushed it in limited games in the gleague, 30/7/7 in 5 games.

OK, just revisited his bbref page, and for some reason, the tab that comes up by default is playoffs, so those numbers were for the gleague playoffs.

Here are his numbers,p/a/r, by game type:

Playoffs
5 games, 30/7/7
Regular season
8 games,26.6/7.6/6.6
Cup play, usually December
10 games, 20/4.7/2.9

There are no game logs for gleague pages, so I can’t tell you when those games were played, but cup games would be in December, and the playoffs would be either late March or early April, so it looks like he improved as the season progressed.

scott
08-20-2023, 04:27 PM
Whether or not he is a fit for the Spurs is another question, but I find it hard to believe that a guy one year removed from the first round (and IIRC, he kind of fell in the first round beyond expectations, did he not?) who performed very well in the G-League won't find a home UNLESS there is something up with his attitude?

scott
08-20-2023, 04:33 PM
Comparing TyTy vs Blake in G-League regular season games. TyTy cut down on TO by 0.8 and improved to .353 3P% in the playoffs, but his numbers also need to take into consideration his heavy minutes. 41.2 MPG in the G-League playoffs.

GP
MPG
FG%
3P%
2P%
FT%
REB
AST
STL
TOV
PPG

TyTy Washington

Blake Wesley

Ocotillo
08-21-2023, 05:40 AM
I had said before I would be interested in making a run at Washington but what do I know, I wanted Roby when OKC waived him last season. :lol

spurraider21
08-21-2023, 07:18 AM
Seems like a no brainer to occupy the third two-way spot if possible

Mr. Body
08-21-2023, 08:59 AM
Whether or not he is a fit for the Spurs is another question, but I find it hard to believe that a guy one year removed from the first round (and IIRC, he kind of fell in the first round beyond expectations, did he not?) who performed very well in the G-League won't find a home UNLESS there is something up with his attitude?

He'd still be on the Rockets if they weren't trying to shed salary and spots in their offseason makeover. Atlanta didn't want him or Garuba and OKC didn't want him or Garuba. He'll probably get picked up somewhere.

exstatic
08-21-2023, 09:01 AM
He'd still be on the Rockets if they weren't trying to shed salary and spots in their offseason makeover. Atlanta didn't want him or Garuba and OKC didn't want him or Garuba. He'll probably get picked up somewhere.

I agree. Also, the Rockets are stupid. Pop would say they're skipping steps.

Rocalcio
08-21-2023, 03:25 PM
They just waved Garuba too.

exstatic
08-21-2023, 03:30 PM

Absolute scrub. Do not want. He's Charles Barkley's proverbial deer.

rjv
08-21-2023, 04:28 PM

well, that didn't take long.

CGD
08-21-2023, 07:46 PM
He’ll go back to Spain and have a decent career there