View Full Version : steph curry says tim duncan top 5

playblair
07-23-2023, 05:15 PM

Proxy
07-23-2023, 06:37 PM
lol @ celticsfan

ambchang
07-23-2023, 06:45 PM
It’s not too 5. It’s just the starting five. Regardless. Crap list.

couchman
07-23-2023, 06:53 PM
Of course he is. TD might be the best defensive player of all time and was also a great offensive machine.

My all time starting lineup:
C- Russell
PF - Duncan
SF - Lebron
SG - MJ
PG - Oscar

MultiTroll
07-23-2023, 06:53 PM
Kirby being listed loses all credibility.

timtonymanu
07-23-2023, 07:11 PM
The real greats recognize, tbh.

CorrectCrusader
07-23-2023, 08:16 PM
KoChuck Bryant on the list though

wildbill2u
07-23-2023, 09:06 PM
Stephan never got to see some of the old time greats who could still play in today's game if they were at their prime. I refer to Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain. Shaq wouldn't have been able to bully Chamberlain and Russell was so clever at reading the trajectory of rebounds and at boxing out. And wouldn't you have liked to see Olajuwon match up against any of them?

LeBron v Kobe. Games are so different I dunno. And then you put Larry Bird up against either one and order more popcorn.

Oscar v. Magic are closer in style and performance although Magic was flashier. I can't choose between them.

I'm gonna keep Duncan on top five because he's our boy and you'd be hard put to get me to accept an argument for someone else at that position.

Speculation on all-time greats is one of the wonderful things about sports discussions. Thanks for starting this thread. :hungry:

MultiTroll
07-23-2023, 09:41 PM
https://youtu.be/VM9zeaR2gCQ

spursparker9
07-24-2023, 12:05 AM
For this, I say we let GSW win until Steph retires and then Wemby can start take over the league

John B
07-24-2023, 01:35 AM
For this, I say we let GSW win until Steph retires and then Wemby can start take over the league

Nah I hate Curry tying Duncan ringcount. Already their Big 3 already tied Manu/TP. Who knows where they put their Big 3 in All-Time if they did?

taps
07-24-2023, 02:59 AM
Curry gets lambasted for winning 2 of 4 with Durant but I feel LeBron is the king of “bought not built” and I don’t hear the same level of criticism for him and to many he’s the consensus All-Legend starting 3-spot. Every team he won with he worked the phones to import #1 picks.
This is carried over from the Victor thread where I kinda saw a collective sh*****g on Curry for winning only half of his rings with Durant.

Fireball
07-24-2023, 07:12 AM
Tim Duncan is my favorite player of all time. I am always happy when he is named as Goat PF and an overall top 10 player of all time.

ambchang
07-24-2023, 08:11 AM
Tim Duncan is my favorite player of all time. I am always happy when he is named as Goat PF and an overall top 10 player of all time.

Honestly I don’t know anyone with at least some knowledge of the nba wouldn’t.

Pauleta14
07-24-2023, 09:24 AM
Number 2 all time behind MJ

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-24-2023, 10:43 AM
All the intangibles make Tim a Top 5 for anyone with the analytical skills to think it through. If you're building a team from scratch, who would you want as your centerpiece? Would you want a guy that made the playoffs every season of his 20-year career, anchored 5 championships and 6 championship appearances, was a subtly fiery competitor, was the consummate pro, a great leader, no FO conflicts, would sacrifice stats and even salary to put a great team around himself?

Comparatively I don't know of anyone in the top 10 who might come close...Bill Russell perhaps?

CorrectCrusader
07-24-2023, 11:03 AM
All the intangibles make Tim a Top 5 for anyone with the analytical skills to think it through. If you're building a team from scratch, who would you want as your centerpiece? Would you want a guy that made the playoffs every season of his 20-year career, anchored 5 championships and 6 championship appearances, was a subtly fiery competitor, was the consummate pro, a great leader, no FO conflicts, would sacrifice stats and even salary to put a great team around himself?

Comparatively I don't know of anyone in the top 10 who might come close...Bill Russell perhaps?

When jabronis put Kobe above Tim in their top 10s I get angry lol. Like how???

lefty
07-24-2023, 01:46 PM
Dream
Timmy
Lebron
Demar Dejordan
Magic

CGD
07-24-2023, 05:03 PM
Damn, Curry just murdered LeBron. Not only did he take off Bird providing the opening, he did it for an out of position Kobe OVER LeBron. Wow.

TD 21
07-24-2023, 05:36 PM
Curry is as coddled/mythologized by national media as Bryant so he'll be given a free pass for this whereas a fool like Pierce would be excoriated and skewered if he said something as petty as leaving James off.

hitmantb
07-25-2023, 11:48 AM
Duncan won more rings with less talent than anyone else. His weak supporting cast (for any team with 3 or more rings) and extremely low team budget , someday people will realize the game is not 1v1 and I personally rank Duncan only behind MJ.

ambchang
07-25-2023, 11:54 AM
Based on narratives and accolades, nobody is going to top Jordan, but he got lucky with Pippen and Grant/Rodman, plus a bunch of shooters. He required a very specific set of teammates to win, and kudos to Krause for building that team around him, twice.

R. DeMurre
07-25-2023, 02:18 PM
Kobe playing out of position at SF is a terrible choice-- he's not a great 3pt shooter, and had too much ego to be a role player. It's kinda crazy that Curry literally changed the landscape of modern basketball with his shooting, and then chose an all time starting five with no elite 3 pt shooting-- but also it shows the very important difference between naming individual talents and building an actual team. Hell, that starting 5 would be better off with Andrei Kirilenko over Kobe as an actual team. I think star players are prone to the mistake of thinking other stars are the single most important aspect of rounding out a great team, and we saw that exact mistake when LeBron and AD advocated for Westbrook instead of well rounded role playing depth.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-25-2023, 02:26 PM
Duncan won more rings with less talent than anyone else. His weak supporting cast (for any team with 3 or more rings) and extremely low team budget , someday people will realize the game is not 1v1 and I personally rank Duncan only behind MJ.

I hope you’re right. History might say he won with 3 other HOF players next to him (maybe 4 with Nephew) and Pop at the helm. Revisionists 30 years from now might not recognize that he created the HOF path for all those guys other than David.

R. DeMurre
07-25-2023, 02:26 PM
Based on narratives and accolades, nobody is going to top Jordan, but he got lucky with Pippen and Grant/Rodman, plus a bunch of shooters. He required a very specific set of teammates to win, and kudos to Krause for building that team around him, twice.

I think the one thing that gets overlooked with those great Chicago teams is positional size. They didn't have out of the ordinary front court size, but their back court was comparatively huge, starting a 6'6" Ron Harper and 6'6" Jordan, and then having the 6'8" Pippen act as de facto point guard. People tend to think of measuring size in terms of how many 6'10"-7'+ guys a team has, but if you've got a huge size advantage at the three traditionally smaller positions of PG, SG, and SF you're at a much bigger advantage than just having a a single oversized big.

Tyronn Lue
07-25-2023, 03:54 PM
Curry gets lambasted for winning 2 of 4 with Durant but I feel LeBron is the king of “bought not built” and I don’t hear the same level of criticism for him and to many he’s the consensus All-Legend starting 3-spot. Every team he won with he worked the phones to import #1 picks.
This is carried over from the Victor thread where I kinda saw a collective sh*****g on Curry for winning only half of his rings with Durant.
A ring is a ring.

TD 21
07-25-2023, 04:06 PM

A ring is a ring.

:lmao James is fare more criticized than Curry and not all rings are created equally.

James didn't join a team coming off of a 139-25 two season stretch and a game away from back to back championships (sure, they clearly would have lost in '15 if not for historic opponent injury luck, but still).

He was also not only not a hand in glove fit with Wade, but a poor one that the Spurs exploited to the tune of near back to back championships at their expense.

CorrectCrusader
07-25-2023, 04:53 PM
:lmao James is fare more criticized than Curry and not all rings are created equally.

James didn't join a team coming off of a 139-25 two season stretch and a game away from back to back championships (sure, they clearly would have lost in '15 if not for historic opponent injury luck, but still).

He was also not only not a hand in glove fit with Wade, but a poor one that the Spurs exploited to the tune of near back to back championships at their expense.

Honestly Kevin Durant should be permanently barred from the hall of fame for ruining the NBA single handedly for 4 years

Tyronn Lue
07-26-2023, 09:34 AM
All championships are bought, at some level. Never hear fans of the winning team complain.

HankChinaski
07-26-2023, 02:00 PM
My All Time Starting Top 5

Hakeem Olajuwon
Tim Duncan
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan
Oscar Robertson

Barfunk
07-26-2023, 10:07 PM
The real greats recognize, tbh.

They mostly do. It's the hip/trendy mainstream NBA fan and media that hate and leave laugh reacts/emojis when they see Duncan put over Kobe and even Garnett.

Winehole23
09-02-2023, 12:47 AM
Tim Duncan is the only player on this list with a 4th quarter FG% higher than LeBron's

Russo21
09-09-2023, 12:01 AM
Not a bad list at all. But I'd take Larry over Kobe at SF. He's reaching to put Kobe there out of position. Larry was a killer. The Kobe dick riding since his death has reached all sorts of heights. Before his untimely death he was always behind Duncan and Shaq from the modern era on majority of lists. Kobe dies and boom he's leapfrogged everyone and is 2nd all time on lots of lists. Stupid.

$pursDynasty
09-13-2023, 10:03 AM
5) Center Kareem the Goat
4) Power Forward Timmay
3) Small Forward LBJ he can play any position so I put him here not a fave but stats are undeniable
2) Shooting Guard Jordan nuff said
1) Point Guard Magic

That's my starting five my top 5 best ever are:
1) Kareem
2) Jordan
3) LBJ
4) Tim Duncan
5) Wilt Chamberlain

Thomas82
09-16-2023, 02:00 AM
5) Center Kareem the Goat
4) Power Forward Timmay
3) Small Forward LBJ he can play any position so I put him here not a fave but stats are undeniable
2) Shooting Guard Jordan nuff said
1) Point Guard Magic

That's my starting five my top 5 best ever are:
1) Kareem
2) Jordan
3) LBJ
4) Tim Duncan
5) Wilt Chamberlain

I agree with your top 5, but I would have them in a different order.