PDA

View Full Version : Your 15-Man Roster of Best Players to Ever Be Spurs

scott
07-23-2023, 06:51 PM
Strictly an off-season time killer thread, but was thinking a little bit of players who collected chip s by accepting limited roles with the Spurs at the end of the careers, and thought it would be fun to build an all-time Spurs roster of players who were on the team (even if for 9 regular season games, like one guy on my list) if you take those players at their prime.

My List goes like this (*denotes HOF players). How would you build your Spurs superteam?

First Team:

Tim*
David*
Nephew
Manu*
Tony*

Second Team:

Gervin*
Moses Malone*
Dominique Wilkins*
Tracey McGrady*
Artis Gilmore*

Third Team:

Glenn Robinson
Larry Kenon
LMA
Mo Cheeks*
Pau Gasol*

Just missed the cut for me (in order):

Sean Elliott
Terry Cummings
Louie Dampier*
DeRozan
Dennis Rodman*

mookie2001
07-23-2023, 09:08 PM
Tracy Mandela effect Mcgrady.

NASpurs
07-23-2023, 09:18 PM
Trying to think of other notable players who played for the Spurs towards the end of their careers and were actually good at one point:

Steve Smith
Damon Stoudemire
Kevin Martin
Nick Van Exel
Michael Finley
Kevin Willis
Antonio McDyess
Robert Horry
Boris Diaw

buttsR4rebounding
07-23-2023, 09:32 PM
Strictly an off-season time killer thread, but was thinking a little bit of players who collected chip s by accepting limited roles with the Spurs at the end of the careers, and thought it would be fun to build an all-time Spurs roster of players who were on the team (even if for 9 regular season games, like one guy on my list) if you take those players at their prime.

My List goes like this (*denotes HOF players). How would you build your Spurs superteam?

First Team:

Tim*
David*
Nephew
Manu*
Tony*

Second Team:

Gervin*
Moses Malone*
Dominique Wilkins*
Tracey McGrady*
Artis Gilmore*

Third Team:

Glenn Robinson
Larry Kenon
LMA
Mo Cheeks*
Pau Gasol*

Sean Elliott
Terry Cummings
Louie Dampier*
DeRozan
Dennis Rodman*

If you are talking play with the Spurs no way Cheeks, Gasol, Glen Robinson, McGrady should be there. Wilkins is also pretty iffy.

Tyronn Lue
07-23-2023, 09:56 PM
If you are talking play with the Spurs no way Cheeks, Gasol, Glen Robinson, McGrady should be there. Wilkins is also pretty iffy.
"if you take those players at their prime."

eyesR4reading :lol

rogcl1
07-23-2023, 10:07 PM

First Team:

Tim*
David*
Nephew
Manu*
Tony*

Second Team:

Gervin*
Moses Malone*
Dominique Wilkins*
Tracey McGrady*
Artis Gilmore*

Third Team:

Glenn Robinson
Larry Kenon
LMA
Mo Cheeks*
Pau Gasol*

Sean Elliott
Terry Cummings
Louie Dampier*
DeRozan
Dennis Rodman*

I question the depth of your Spurs fandom and judgement in general if you dont have James Silas and Mitchell on there as well as Alvin Robertson and even Johnny Moore. Quite a few of your choices are washed up end of their careers scrubs when they played with the Spurs.

baseline bum
07-23-2023, 10:26 PM
I question the depth of your Spurs fandom and judgement in general if you dont have James Silas and Mitchell on there as well as Alvin Robertson and even Johnny Moore. Quite a few of your choices are washed up end of their careers scrubs when they played with the Spurs.

You're going to take Alvin Robertson over prime Dominique Wilkins? Mike Mitchell over prime TMac? Johnny Moore over prime Mo Cheeks?

scott
07-23-2023, 10:38 PM
You're going to take Alvin Robertson over prime Dominique Wilkins? Mike Mitchell over prime TMac? Johnny Moore over prime Mo Cheeks?

Reading is apparently TOO fundamental for some

rogcl1
07-23-2023, 10:40 PM

Lord no, unless I missed it ,it wasnt specified as to whether prime or when they plaed with Spurs. I may be dumb but not stupid.

rogcl1
07-23-2023, 10:45 PM
Lord no, unless I missed it ,it wasnt specified as to whether prime or when they plaed with Spurs. I may be dumb but not stupid.

Yes I missed it/ An evening at the pool hall clouded my vision.

rogcl1
07-23-2023, 10:47 PM
Reading is apparently TOO fundamental for some
You are correct. An evening at the pool hall clouded my
vision and focus.

scott
07-23-2023, 10:49 PM
It happens to the best of us

Spursfanfromafar
07-24-2023, 01:42 AM
As an academic exercise, yours is interesting but I would prefer a Spurs all time squad that actually consisted of Spurs performers in their peak -

Starting lineup - Parker, Gervin, Nephew, Duncan, Robinson
Bench - Manu, Robertson, Elliott, Diaw, Gilmore
Bench 2 - Moore, Silas, Bowen, Horry, Splitter
Two way - Green, Kenon

Just missed the cut - Mills, Aldridge, W Anderson

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-24-2023, 10:48 AM
Scott, I liked what you were trying to accomplish with this thread...apparently it's too confusing for this group. A lot of great players suited up in Spurs uniform...even if it was just a twilight appearance.

TrainOfThought5
07-24-2023, 02:39 PM
Why tf is no one including Lamarcus Aldridge?!

spurraider21
07-24-2023, 02:43 PM
prime tmac is definitely starting over manu tbh :lol

he's not in the same tier, but he's the closest thing the league had seen to durant, but was also a phenomenal passer. never was as efficient as KD tho

exstatic
07-24-2023, 02:52 PM
Scott, I liked what you were trying to accomplish with this thread...apparently it's too confusing for this group. A lot of great players suited up in Spurs uniform...even if it was just a twilight appearance.

I would have probably said best playing years IN A SPURS uniform, which covers prime for home grown, but doesn't become a cheat code for mercenaries and ring chasers.

spurraider21
07-24-2023, 03:00 PM
starting 5

robinson
duncan
nephew
mcgrady
parker

reserves

moses/gilmore
aldridge/pau
gervin/derozan
dominique/alvin
manu/cheeks

notable guys missing the cut... elliott, cummings, finley, diaw, kenon, cummings, rodman, bowen, mcdyess

im probably missing some others. tried to keep it positionally accurate which is why cheeks made it over some of those guys. slid manu to point tho. moses is a better player than the admiral imo, but really went for the shotblocking twin towers at the top

RC_Drunkford
07-24-2023, 03:08 PM
Robinson/Wembanyama/Gilmore
Duncan/Aldridge/Kenon
Kawhi/Elliott/Mitchell
Gervin/Manu/DeRozan
Parker/Silas/Murray

Obviously you pick the best players that played for the Spurs at the time they played for the Spurs and not when they were playing somewhere else. Putting Wemby in off potential alone.

spurraider21
07-24-2023, 03:16 PM
Robinson/Wembanyama/Gilmore
Duncan/Aldridge/Kenon
Kawhi/Elliott/Mitchell
Gervin/Manu/DeRozan
Parker/Silas/Murray

Obviously you pick the best players that played for the Spurs at the time they played for the Spurs and not when they were playing somewhere else. Putting Wemby in off potential alone.
its not obvious when OP explicitly says otherwise

bigfan
07-24-2023, 04:25 PM
Robinson/Gilmore/Aldridge
Duncan/Cummings
Leonard/Mitchell/Elliott
Gervin/Manu/DeRozan/Robertson
Parker/Moore/Strickland

scott
07-24-2023, 04:41 PM
Why tf is no one including Lamarcus Aldridge?!

He made my 3rd team! Definitely underrated - if Zaza doesn't happen I think he gets that Chip.

scott
07-24-2023, 04:42 PM
prime tmac is definitely starting over manu tbh :lol

he's not in the same tier, but he's the closest thing the league had seen to durant, but was also a phenomenal passer. never was as efficient as KD tho

You are right. Plus this allows Manu to come off the bench. Win-win!

Biggems
07-24-2023, 04:48 PM
Robinson, Gilmore, Aldridge
Duncan, Cummings, Kenon
Mitchell, Elliott, Bowen
Gervin, Manu, Robertson
Parker, Silas, Moore

i absolutely refuse to put Nephew on my list.

ambchang
07-24-2023, 05:23 PM
If following OPs rule where we count the prime of the player, no way would moses not make it. He’d make it over the admiral.

RC_Drunkford
07-24-2023, 06:16 PM
its not obvious when OP explicitly says otherwise

I don’t give a fuck

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-24-2023, 06:22 PM
This thread is hilarious. OP says take each player at their prime, half the people understand the point, and half the people do whatever they want...and then get mad when someone points out they're doing it wrong.

Let's make a thread about your favorite pancakes so half you fuckers can talk about how much you like bacon. :lol

scott
07-24-2023, 06:59 PM
I tried my best

mookie2001
07-25-2023, 12:25 AM
When the hell did T-Mac play for the spurs lol must have been before my time.

timtonymanu
07-25-2023, 12:38 AM
I still say TMac was one of the reasons we lost the way we did in 2013. Dude was just cursed all the time.

timtonymanu
07-25-2023, 12:51 AM
Keeping it to players I grew up with, minus Gervin for obvious reasons.

David Robinson
Tim Duncan
Kiwi
Gervin
Parker

LMA
2014 Boris Diaw
TMac
Michael Finley (Mavs version)
Ginobili

Gasol
McDyess
Elliott
Demar
Murray

spurraider21
07-25-2023, 12:58 AM
When the hell did T-Mac play for the spurs lol must have been before my time.
2013 finals loss to Heat

John B
07-25-2023, 01:55 AM
Other Spurs greats, I didn’t get to watch play. So here’s my list:

Robinson / Malone / Gasol
Duncan / Aldridge / Rodman
Leonard / McGrady / Wilkins
Gervin / Ginobili / DeRozan
Parker / Cheeks / Stoudamire

Two-way, Cummings, Strickland, McDyes
Coach: Pop, Bud, Brown, Udoka