PDA

View Full Version : New Private Spurs Club at The Rock at La Cantera

TXstbobcat
07-29-2023, 04:28 PM
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/san-antonio-spurs-tap-award-winning-chef-new-18267970.php?IPID=MySA-HP-Latest-News

scott
07-29-2023, 06:11 PM
Chef McHugh is a badass chef and a badass dude. Cancer survivor with a great story, and just a nice guy. Really happy to see him at the helm for this spot.

spurs10
07-29-2023, 06:50 PM
I wonder how it will operate. Members only I suppose. Or perhaps non-members can go for dinner.

wildbill2u
07-29-2023, 08:35 PM
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/san-antonio-spurs-tap-award-winning-chef-new-18267970.php?IPID=MySA-HP-Latest-News

You knew this was coming. A major clue as to why the Spurs aren't moving to Austin. You don't put this kind of money into a practice facility/park and then walk away from it. I'm still wondering if there will be a proposal to build the new Spurs arena on this property if there is room. Anyone know how many acres are involved here??

MultiTroll
07-29-2023, 09:34 PM
Cool.
Perhaps we can start having contest winners get a meal here.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2023, 01:14 PM
I wonder how it will operate. Members only I suppose. Or perhaps non-members can go for dinner.Will probably try to keep the riff-raff out as long as the money is good.

spurs10
07-30-2023, 01:48 PM
Will probably try to keep the riff-raff out as long as the money is good. Haha...sounds about right.

Spur|n|Austin
07-30-2023, 02:49 PM
You knew this was coming. A major clue as to why the Spurs aren't moving to Austin. You don't put this kind of money into a practice facility/park and then walk away from it. I'm still wondering if there will be a proposal to build the new Spurs arena on this property if there is room. Anyone know how many acres are involved here??

45 Acres, so most likely no.. Would be a great location

Mitch Cumsteen
07-31-2023, 02:23 PM
45 Acres, so most likely no.. Would be a great location

Would most definitely NOT be a great location for an arena. Any place that isn't in the heart of downtown San Antonio is a bad location. It was beyond stupid to put the AT&T center where it is, and it would be especially stupid to double down and make the same mistake twice on a new arena. It's got to be downtown, within walking distance of the riverwalk. Anything short of that is a complete and utter failure on the part of the Spurs and the city.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-31-2023, 03:03 PM
Would most definitely NOT be a great location for an arena. Any place that isn't in the heart of downtown San Antonio is a bad location. It was beyond stupid to put the AT&T center where it is, and it would be especially stupid to double down and make the same mistake twice on a new arena. It's got to be downtown, within walking distance of the riverwalk. Anything short of that is a complete and utter failure on the part of the Spurs and the city.

As a non-San Antonian I completely agree. It sucks to get over to the AT&T and then there's absolutely nothing around there so you basically show up for the game and leave. I imagine for locals, traveling downtown on game nights isn't great, but it's not like the AT&T is placed in a great spot for residents to get to either. If they want to create the idea of game night being an "event" then they need it near restaurants and night life, instead of whatever that neighborhood the arena currently is in would be considered. Most of the league has figured that out with their home arena placement.

scott
07-31-2023, 03:32 PM
Putting the arena at 1604/I-10 would be such a massive mistake, that only the City of San Antonio and Bexar County are dumb enough to make it.

taps
07-31-2023, 04:28 PM
Rich people s***.

ChumpDumper
07-31-2023, 04:45 PM
As a non-San Antonian I completely agree. It sucks to get over to the AT&T and then there's absolutely nothing around there so you basically show up for the game and leave. I imagine for locals, traveling downtown on game nights isn't great, but it's not like the AT&T is placed in a great spot for residents to get to either. If they want to create the idea of game night being an "event" then they need it near restaurants and night life, instead of whatever that neighborhood the arena currently is in would be considered. Most of the league has figured that out with their home arena placement.
On the contrary, going to downtown games when I lived in San Antonio was pretty great. The area is set up for big events. Finding parking wasn't really a big deal and if we didn't want to deal with that there were the Park and Ride or Josephine Street buses. Going to the AT&T center is like going to another planet.

Putting the arena at 1604/I-10 would be such a massive mistake, that only the City of San Antonio and Bexar County are dumb enough to make it.:lol imagine trying to get to an early broadcast weekday game there.

Millennial_Messiah
07-31-2023, 05:39 PM
:lol imagine trying to get to an early broadcast weekday game there.

Yeah I agree downtown is ideal for a city the size of San Antonio which isn't like hyper centralized like downtown Chicago or NYC or Dallas or something.

La Cantera/Six Flags would be a bad location for all but the very rich and snobby country-club Spurs fans. Still I guess it's better than building it in New Braunfels or Kyle/Buda like right off I-35 or somewhere up that way to try to bridge the Austin-SA gap like a lot of people were saying.

SpursWoman
07-31-2023, 05:48 PM
:lol imagine trying to get to an early broadcast weekday game there.

It was a clusterfuck just trying to get home from work :spin

scott
07-31-2023, 06:55 PM
Have also seen some conversation in the air about the traffic downtown, but these folks must not be puro. Those of us born and raised in the 210 have spent our lives heading downtown and finding parking every April for Chicken on a Stick and Gorditas. Who are these putos who think locals won’t head down there for the Spurs?

(Full disclosure: no longer a SA resident)

Spur|n|Austin
08-07-2023, 11:19 AM

I agree, a stadium downtown makes the most sense -- that being said, they'd have to do it where the Alamodome is. Quite the conundrum since UTSA plays there (and all the other NCAA bowl games and UIL football games).

Maybe it's time for UTSA to build a football stadium?

spurs10
08-07-2023, 11:53 AM
Whenever my wife and I made a night of it we stayed downtown, had dinner, and had to Uber to no-man's land for the game. Otherwise we'd eat on the way to SA and drive home, about an hour, after the game.

ChumpDumper
08-07-2023, 06:13 PM
I agree, a stadium downtown makes the most sense -- that being said, they'd have to do it where the Alamodome is. Quite the conundrum since UTSA plays there (and all the other NCAA bowl games and UIL football games). And men's and women's Final Fours. No need to knock it down while it's still able to get those. There are at least two viable downtown sites for a new Spurs arena; one of them is the parking lot of the Alamodome itself.

Maybe it's time for UTSA to build a football stadium?Not yet, but it looks like UTSA is saving enough Park West land for that eventuality. They really need to build their own arena first to revive the basketball programs.

exstatic
08-08-2023, 08:24 AM
And men's and women's Final Fours. No need to knock it down while it's still able to get those. There are at least two viable downtown sites for a new Spurs arena; one of them is the parking lot of the Alamodome itself.

Not yet, but it looks like UTSA is saving enough Park West land for that eventuality. They really need to build their own arena first to revive the basketball programs.

Build new arena at Alamodome parking lot.
Turn Frost Bank Centre over to UTSA basketball programs.
Build new football stadium at Park West.
Tear down Alamodome/Chinese takeout Box with chopsticks in all corners.

ChumpDumper
08-08-2023, 01:26 PM
Build new arena at Alamodome parking lot.
Turn Frost Bank Centre over to UTSA basketball programs.
Build new football stadium at Park West.
Tear down Alamodome/Chinese takeout Box with chopsticks in all corners.lol Even fewer people would attend UTSA basketball at Frost than at the code-violating Convocation Center.

Hold onto the dome until it can't draw Final Fours at least. Anything built at Park West is going to be cheap and sizzling.

wildbill2u
08-08-2023, 02:11 PM
Why would the Spurs spend money to buy and/or tear down buildings in downtown area when they have 45 acres of mostly undeveloped land on easy access loop? Spurs games are not typically a out of town tourist attraction for single ticket buyers. On the other hand, plenty of current and potential season ticket holders exist near their development of the Rock. If you don't think there are already enough attractions for dinner and/or after game excursions around the loop, can't you see a bunch of them being built in conjunction with a new stadium? A one-stop venue for dinner and after game activities without ever leaving the Spurs domain seems like a no-brainer for marketing purposes. Visitors from Austin probably won't care one way or the other as long as their destination has access to interstate and the entertainment values that go with a first class venue.

If you are arguing that a downtown stadium would be better for SA citizens who live in the part of the city south of the IH 10, you aren't thinking like the marketers of any big time sports franchise. They aren't that concerned about the fans without lots of money to spend.

ChumpDumper
08-09-2023, 11:24 AM
Why would the Spurs spend money to buy and/or tear down buildings in downtown area when they have 45 acres of mostly undeveloped land on easy access loop? Spurs games are not typically a out of town tourist attraction for single ticket buyers. On the other hand, plenty of current and potential season ticket holders exist near their development of the Rock. If you don't think there are already enough attractions for dinner and/or after game excursions around the loop, can't you see a bunch of them being built in conjunction with a new stadium? A one-stop venue for dinner and after game activities without ever leaving the Spurs domain seems like a no-brainer for marketing purposes. Visitors from Austin probably won't care one way or the other as long as their destination has access to interstate and the entertainment values that go with a first class venue.

If you are arguing that a downtown stadium would be better for SA citizens who live in the part of the city south of the IH 10, you aren't thinking like the marketers of any big time sports franchise. They aren't that concerned about the fans without lots of money to spend.

The Auburn Hills strategy.

Extra Stout
08-09-2023, 12:13 PM
The Auburn Hills strategy.
Not every other NBA arena is located downtown. A couple are either in midtown or uptown lol.

But none of them are out 15 miles away in the suburbs anymore. Surely there is a reason for that. Or maybe the marketers of big-time sports franchises just aren’t thinking like the marketers of big-time sports franchises.

bigfan
08-11-2023, 10:00 AM
Nothing would be better than the Spurs playing downtown again where victories could be spent after the game on the Riverwalk. Hemisfair was the best. Leave the cow palace for rodeos or whatever.

lefty
08-11-2023, 12:54 PM
lol VIFP